The doctor is not always right

Printer-friendly version

The doctor’s not always right
Jill Micayla

Being born intersexed can be hard on the individual when the choice of genders is not correct with the body and mind. Not all little boys grow up to be big strong men and not all little girls grow up to be effeminate women. Sometimes they grow up wanting to be their correct gender.

Dale Roberts woke one morning knowing things were out of sorts. For the past few months he was experiencing changes in his body due to puberty. Dale had expected the manly chest hair, and hair around his genitalia as well as a voice change. What he did not expect was his waist to become smaller while his hips seemed to change. He did not expect his voice to go up an octave and be more melodic.

The one thing that bothered him most was the tenderness he had been experiencing in his chest. At first he thought he had an allergenic reaction to his mom using new laundry soap. He kept the problem quite, and was truly afraid to say anything to anyone.

This morning he noticed that there were small mounds of flesh on his chest. He was already having problems with his pants and shirts being either too loose or too tight. Being an only child he was not away of what was happening to him.
In the past few days people were mistaking him for a girl, when he tried to tell them he was a boy his voice only confirmed their suspicions about his gender being female.

While in school he was noticing boys and not girls. To Dale girls were for friendship and someone to talk things over with. Dale was finding he was envious of some of the girls and their attire.

After four months Dale was standing before a mirror naked. He saw a girl’s body with small but pout breasts, a slim waist and hips that gave him that feminine figure. He knew if he continued becoming more feminine in appearance he was going to be a target for bullies.

The only thing left to do was talk to his mother. He knew his dad would have a fit if he saw his son looking more like a girl than a boy.

Dale decided he would feign illness and miss school. His mom came up to take his temperature and that was when he asked her to look at him closely.

Dale rose out of bed with his tighty whities on and his mother stood there eyes wide open.

“What’s happening to me?”

“When did this start?

“About eight months ago, I didn’t know what to do so I kept it quiet.”

“I wish you would have said something sooner. I’m calling Doctor Quance for an immediate check up.”

“My clothes don’t fit right, my tee shirt feels like sandpaper on my chest.”

“I’m going to get a tape measure to measure your chest, waist and hips. Hopefully I have some things that you can wear.”

“What things to wear?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

Dale sat on the bed waiting for his mom to come back. She came in had him stand straight as she measured his hip and wrote down the measurement, she did the same with his waist and breasts.

“I need to see what sizes you wear and if they are close to my size we’ll get you ready for the doctors visit.”

“Your size, you do know I am a boy not a girl.”

“Sweetheart just looking at you I would say that you look more like a girl than a boy with that body?”

Dale lay on the bed, he was not happy to hear he looked like a girl. he had known for a while he was more physically female than male, but to hear his mom confirm it made it all the worse.

She came back to his room with a dress, a bra and panties.

“I can’t wear those.”

“Why can’t you wear theses clothes? They will fit you better than your jeans and shirts. Fortunately your cousin Janet had left some clothes from her last visit. The good thing you are her size.”

“What are people going to say? Everybody in the neighborhood knows I am a boy.”

“By looking at you all I see is a girl who needs to get dressed to see the doctor. If you need help I’ll be glad to assist.”

“Can you help me with the bra? I’ve never ever wore one.”

“I think you will like how the bra protects your breast from rubbing on the dress. In time you will be able to put on one and take one off with your hands behind your back.”

Dale was soon dressed in his cousin’s clothes. Instead of feeling ashamed he actually felt as though he belonged in the clothes. The bra kept the bodice of the dress from rubbing and it held is breast up a bit more.

“I need my hair done, hose and shoes.”

“We’ll get there, hold your horses. Is this the same Dale who a few minutes earlier declared he was a boy? What changed your mind all of a sudden?”

“Would you believe me if I told you I feel comfortable in this outfit. It’s as though I should be in pretty girl’s clothes.”

“We have some time before you appointment so why don’t we go to my hair dressers and get you to be a nice looking girl?”

Dale cocked his head and then said “I see no reason not to go.”

His mother gave him a pair of wedge sandals to wear, they matched the dress.

Out the door mother and daughter went. When the spring air blew under Dales dress, he no longer felt ill at ease.

At the salon he got a wash, rinse, the frayed ends cut from his hair, the a blow dry. The stylist used her curling irons to shape the hair and make the young girl look nice. She suggested waxing the eyebrows.

Dale wanted to scream when the wax was put on and then the cloth as the cloth ripped out his eyebrow hairs he felt like he had made a bad choice. When the stylist was done the girl had nice thin arched eyebrows.

From the salon they headed to the mall. Mom walked with Dale and directed him to the piercing kiosk.

Two diamond studs were now in his lobes, the piercing did not hurt at all.

Dale was taking this all in. It seemed very natural for what he was doing.

One thing that he was thinking of was why did this happen to him and why did he not want to be a boy all of a sudden?

Dr. Quance’s office waiting room had a couple of people in the room. As Dale was reading a fashion magazine he hear the outer door open and then in walked his dad. Dad did not look mad, he walked over to Dale and Dale stood to face him. Dad gave Dale a good hearty hug.

“I called your dad so we could as a family, make a decision.”

Dale was soon called, he went to the room and was asked to undress and then handed a paper gown. When Dale was in the gown and completely nude underneath, his mom and dad came entered the room. Then a big baldheaded man walked in and shook hands with Dales Dad and mom.

“Young lady, I’m Doctor Dave, on the sign it says I’m doctor Quance. The four of us need to talk. I was the doctor that helped deliver you. We, you mom, dad, and I had to decide if you were going to be raised as a boy or a girl. The three of us chose to raise you as a boy. However, your body decided you should be a girl.”

“What’s wrong with me?”

“Absolutely nothing, you were born intersexed, that for us means you had ambiguous genitalia. We created a penis and sent you home as a boy.”

“I will confer with my partners about your position. If possible we can without breaking the law make you a whole girl. Otherwise you will have to wait until you are eighteen.

You and your mom and dad need to discuss this also. We can give you shots to turn your body around or you can continue living as a female? I need to do an examination. Your mom will remain here with me and your dad will, as a gentleman, wait in the waiting room.

Dale learned why stirrups wear on an examining table. Blood was drawn and an x-rays were taken.

The three went out to dinner at one of dad’s favorite places. He said he wanted people to meet his wife and daughter.

“I’m not upset about what happened or is taking place. I want you to be happy and by the look on you face I’d say My little girl is here to stay.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No longer feeling ill at ease....

Andrea Lena's picture

...would that we could all make that claim; at least Dale is finally able to say that. Thanks for this, dear one!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you

I based this on how I felt my life should have gone, but paths are often predetermined

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

You sure played arond with a bunch of the TS story "tropes"

And very nicely too.

In a long story they would have overwhelmed but they fit in nice here.

Almost had a satirical feel to me, I mean we have this child who felt he was a boy, appeared comfortable as one. He is ashamed/scared/confused by his body's changes yet quickly comes to embrace her girlhood, dresses, pierced ears and all.

But then the doctor did admit to building surgically a penis for her soon after birth. And they raised her as a boy so maybe "she" was there all along?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The doctor’s not always right

Cant beat understanding parents. I can see her becoming a heartbreaker and one of the if not the most popular girl in school.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

ONE WORD

OOPS -- Nice story -- HUGS RICHIE

Hm

Athena N's picture

The parents are seriously disturbed. First mum goes in full 'feminse my son' mode, and at the end dear daddy 'is not upset' that his child is turning out different from what he decided to have them cut into. Poor child...