Somewhere Else Entirely -35-

Printer-friendly version

It is Harvest Festival, the day when the population comes together to renew the contract between themselves and their King. After a ceremonial procession through the city, a simple lunch is shared by all before the amusements beckon. Garia accompanies Merizel into the maze of booths. What could possibly go wrong? Following an alarming incident, Garia has an encounter with a creature out of legend... and nightmare!

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

35 - Harvest Festival


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"You look beautiful, milady."

Garia turned from her position in front of the long mirror.

"I'm never going to get used to being called that, Jenet. Milady, I mean. Or beautiful, come to that. Do you think so, really? I thought I was too short to bring it off. Korizet looks much prettier in a gown like this, she has the height to make it work."

"It's a question of proportion, milady. You have it, Countess Korizet is a little too tall to my way of thinking." Jenet cocked her head. "Milady, does this mean that women are naturally taller on Earth? It's not something I ever considered."

Garia smiled. "The height of men and women on Earth has increased over the centuries, Jenet, and most people put that down to better diet and health measures. I expect the same will happen here in future. I think myself that whatever you see around you is what you think of as normal, which is probably why you see Korizet as tall for a girl." She gave a wry smile. "When I first came to Anmar and discovered how short I was compared to everyone else, I was somewhat annoyed, but I'm not so bothered now. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the way people relate to me, does it?"

Garia carefully sat on the stool and lifted a leg so that Jenet could fasten the straps on her new sandals.

"Come to think of it," she added, "perhaps it's a man thing anyway, this height business. When I was a boy, we always wanted to be taller and stronger, that way we'd be better able to get the girl." She giggled. "If I had only known then what I know now..."

She stood. "Whoa! These sandals have a serious heel on them, Jenet!"

"Only two fingers or so, milady. You'll be walking on gravel paths and grass so the normal footwear we wear indoors isn't suitable."

Jenet was also dressed in her festival finery, in her case a lightweight gown with flowing sleeves in the house colors of purple and green, quartered so that half the bodice was one color and the same half of the skirt was the other. In addition she wore a sash in the house colors. Garia, in her special gown, had no sash today.

"Are we ready, milady? Let me make sure I have all we might need today."

Jenet opened a satchel and rechecked the contents, earning a query from Garia.

"That's a large bag, Jenet! Do you really need to carry round something that size all through today?"

"This is usual for festivals, milady, and also any time we would be traveling. I have spare cloths in case of accidents, pads if Kalikan is calling one of us, there will be a little food and also some bottles of water if we get thirsty. It could become very warm today."

"I'm sorry you have to drag that around, though."

"Don't worry, milady. I won't be carrying it unless we're moving around. Normally it will just be to hand nearby, should we need it."

"As you say, Jenet," Garia said before leading the way to the door.

They emerged into the corridor at the same time as Keren and she waited for him to join her. He came up smiling and gave her an elaborate bow.

"Good morning, milady! You look especially beautiful in that gown today."

She eyed him up and down. "You're looking quite magnificent yourself, Your Royal Highness," she said, giving him a low curtsey.

He was dressed in a dark blue surcoat over a rust-brown tunic, his normal colors, but today the materials were much finer and lighter. He had the usual sash in house colors and a diagonal sash of house blue with his Heir Apparent insignia pinned to it. His hair had been carefully trimmed, oiled and combed and it was obvious he had paid a lot of attention to his appearance for this special day. Around his forehead was a plain gold fillet denoting his princely rank.

"And how is your head this morning?"

"Not as bad as I thought it might be, Keren. There's still a little... something, perhaps, but I'm sure some food will help to clear it."

"Shall we, Milady?"

"As you command, Highness."

They progressed through the palace towards the Receiving Room, meeting the twins just before they reached the doors.

"After you, my ladies," Keren told them. "I would not want your entrance to be upstaged by our own."

He let them enter and be accepted by those waiting before escorting Garia into the room. About half of those eating today had already arrived, some of the rest were hard behind them as they walked across to join the other young nobles. Everyone exchanged bows and curtseys.

The others were dressed in similar style to Keren and Garia. Terinar was dressed almost the same as Keren, except his sash had a dark red band separating the blue and green, and his diagonal sash was a matching red. Willan and Stebenar wore matching surcoats of cream over dark green tunics with faded yellow sashes. Korizet's gown was like Garia's but a solid pastel red. The twins wore similar styled gowns of different shades of pale blue while Marlin had a red surcoat over a pale blue tunic and gray sashes. Looking around, Garia could see that the rest of the room was dressed in a similar riot of color. It promised to be an interesting day.

The King and Queen arrived, everyone bowed and curtseyed and they all headed for the tables. It was going to be a long day, and they all wanted to get breakfast out of the way as soon as possible.

"What happens once we've finished breakfast, Highness?" she asked as they ate.

"Mostly a lot of standing about, milady," he told her, "at least to begin with. Our faithful retainers have to get all those carriages out to the front door in exactly the right order. Then we get to sit down while the procession winds through the city, ending up at the Shevesty Field a little before lunch time. Once we get there we have to wait while the rest of the procession arrives behind us. As soon as everyone has gotten to the field a service is said to celebrate the harvest and accept all the food which everyone has donated. Then we have to wait till the food is prepared. That food is what we'll all be eating for lunch, you know, so it is usually a good spread. After lunch we'll probably have a nap as usual - most people there will - and then, once it's started to get a little cooler, father will hold the Commons Court where a lot of disputes will get settled and various unusual decrees are made."

He looked at her out of the corner of his eyes. "This year, I suspect you're going to be the subject of one of those decrees, don't you? That means you won't be able to go far, I'm afraid. What normally happens is that once father gets going and we see what he has planned then all the younger nobles head off into the field to enjoy ourselves. I'll speak to father, I wouldn't want you to miss any of the fun today."

"You are very gracious, Highness," she told him.

"Yes," said Terinar. "I'll be interested to find out how the King intends to handle milady's title without upsetting too many of the nobles. I believe it has something to do with my father, but he won't tell me anything."

"He's being deliberately difficult as usual," Korizet said to him. "I'm sure you can wait till this afternoon, can't you?"

"Of course," Terinar grinned. "It's more fun trying to get it out of him before then, you know that."

After breakfast they all assembled near the front entrance waiting for the carriages to be brought. The King's carriage was first, naturally, and they stood on the step and waved Robanar and Terys off before the next one pulled up to the steps.

It was a four-wheeled open carriage, with an awning supported by four elaborately-carved wooden poles at the corners. Of course, she thought. All that time working our way round the city under the blazing sun would fry the occupants, wouldn't it? She looked up at the sky, seeing bright sun but numerous fluffy clouds breaking up the monotony without significantly reducing the heat. Especially if it was really hot. Thank goodness it's a little cooler today.

"After you two, ladies."

"Are you sure?" Garia asked. "Aren't there some kind of precedence rules for this sort of thing?"

"There are," Merizel said. "The highest rank climbs in last and climbs out first, so what His Highness says is correct. I don't think it matters which of us two gets in first, if you're worried about that."

Garia climbed in first and sat with her back to the coachman, Merizel climbing in beside her before Keren sat facing them. Behind him, a separate bench seat hanging off the back of the carriage body held Jenet and Bursila with Benith and Tord seated either side of them, both suitably disguised in footmen's uniforms. Standing by each of the carriage wheels in full guardsman's' uniform including armor and spears were Kerrak, D'Kenik, Yasoon and Feteran. Garia knew that the final four of her 'file' were already on the field, disguised as pages and catering staff. It had taken some time to convince Captain Bleskin that this would be a good way of distributing her 'file' for her protection but he had eventually agreed.

The carriage jolted and moved forward, to allow the next in line to be filled. By twisting around and craning her neck past the coachmen and dranakh pulling the carriage, she could see the King's carriage waiting in the yard, with two Files of the Palace Guard in front, ready to lead the procession. Finally the first section of the procession was filled and the Guardsmen started marching out of the front gate, preceded by a drummer keeping them in step.

"Keren, who's guarding the palace while we're all away?"

"The men draw lots, Garia. Those who lose get to guard the palace. The night quadrant are exempt, of course. We don't want drunk or tired men guarding the palace tonight."

Their carriage jolted into motion, easily pulled by the dranakh in the shafts. They turned left out of the gates into the city streets. There were a good few people about watching the spectacle, but not as many as Garia had first imagined. Then she realized that, although this was the capital city of Palarand, the population wasn't as large as she might have expected. Still, those who stood on the sidewalks made a respectable crowd by almost any standards.

The crowds increased gradually as the procession wound its way through the city. Every spectator was dressed in the the best clothes they owned, and they made a colorful spectacle themselves. All the women wore full-length gowns roughly the same design as Garia's but the style, detail and material quality varied greatly, depending on the resources of their owners and who had made them. The men were also dressed in their best clothes but Garia was surprised to see a significant number of different uniforms on the sidewalks.

Everyone cheered madly when the King and Queen passed them, and cheered almost as much when their own carriage passed by. They obviously recognized Keren, the young man who would eventually become their next King, but what they made of the two women seated opposite him she could not determine. Garia knew that announcements of her presence in the palace had been made in the city but relatively few of the ordinary city folk had actually seen her.

They went outside the walls at one point, exiting at one gate and entering at another, going past residential and business districts, some with buildings that looked positively ancient. It was necessary for them to wave at the cheering crowds almost all the time and Garia felt her arms getting sore from the effort. By the time their carriage eventually arrived at the Shevesty Field she was hot and bothered and quite glad that the flimsy gown was all that she was wearing.

The procession wound around the whole oval-shaped field before depositing them behind where Garia assumed the royals would take part in the proceedings. As she climbed out she could see that the center of the huge space had been covered with straw and carefully piled in arrays over it were the offerings of the harvest, fruit, vegetables and wine, pyramids of freshly-baked bread, stacks of bound fagots of firewood, with a number of low tables being left empty. They had to stand and wait for all the others in the procession to arrive so she spoke to Keren in a low voice.

"What are those empty tables for, Keren?"

"That's for the meat, Garia. In this weather, you can't leave meat out like you can leave fruit and vegetables. The meat is in some of those tents over there, and it will be brought out once everybody is ready for the service."

"Of course. Sorry, I should have worked that out, shouldn't I?"

Ouch! In a society without any refrigeration, meat is going to go off pretty quickly this time of year, isn't it? I'm just so used to fridges and freezers it's going to be hard to adjust to not having any. Well, I hope I can soon fix that.

Surrounding the open center of the field were a large number of side-less awnings, under which most people were beginning to collect. The awning the royal party were in, at one end of the field, did have sides and back but otherwise there was no difference. While the center oval of the field was flat, the part occupied by the awnings sloped gently inward, making a giant amphitheater. Outside the ring of awnings a broad path paved with straw ran right round the field and beyond this path was a maze of booths where the ordinary people could buy food or drink, chance their arm at various simple games or even conduct business. It was these that Merizel apparently wanted to sample later. At one side of the extremity of the field, beyond the booths, was a large area where all the carriages would be parked, with corrals and fodder for the animals, while their occupants enjoyed themselves at the festival.

"Keren, Garia," Terys called to them. "Come and stand between us, dear."

The two walked over to join Robanar and Terys. Robanar was dressed similarly to Keren but wore one of his crowns. Terys wore a plain white gown edged at neck, sleeves and hem with purple and her own crown. Around them, the other members of the high nobility gathered so that they could be seen by the crowd. It seemed the procession had now completely arrived, and the locals who had been lining the streets to watch were streaming in to fill all the spaces under the awnings surrounding the offerings of food. At the same time Garia noticed that the tables had been filled with meat, joints, cuts, in some cases whole animals, sausages and pies, even some fish.

Once it was deemed that all who were going to attend had arrived, a herald blew a trumpet-like instrument and the whole assembly quieted. The same white-clad old man was there who had conducted Morlan's funeral, with the two women who had accompanied him then. This time, his stole was red and yellow, signifying summer and autumn. He stepped forward and began to speak.

"The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker made the plants and creatures within the world including ourselves. We do not know the Maker's purpose, and we do not know if the Maker has ever visited the world since it was made. All we know is that the world is the Maker's creation, not ours, and we have a responsibility to live in the world in such a way that it is kept as the Maker may have originally intended.

"This includes the responsibility to prepare ourselves, our families and the animals in our custody for the coming winter, and that includes gathering the fruits that the world has seen fit to provide us with this summer past. All of the foodstuffs we see in front of us have been given by those who took part in the harvest, in order that all Palarand may share in the bounty. What we eat together now and later today will be a token of the commitment we make to share the harvest amongst everyone, that none may go hungry in the dark and cold of the coming winter."

The priest turned towards the King. "Sire, is it your will that this food be distributed?"

Robanar inclined his head. "It is our will. Let the food be prepared, for a luncheon that all may enjoy together, to celebrate this festival of the year's harvest."

The trumpeter blew again, and numbers of servants poured onto the center of the field and began removing the food. Robanar turned to Garia.

"While we wait for the luncheon food to be prepared, it is customary for the city council to present themselves. Shall you join us, so that you may be introduced to them?"

"As you wish, Sire."

A simple bench was placed at the back of the awning space and the two side walls were rolled up. Once Robanar, Terys, Keren and Garia were seated, a steady stream of sumptuously-dressed older men made their way past, bowing as they were introduced by Kendar. These began with someone called the Moderator, who Garia guessed was something like a Mayor. He was followed by the city councilors and then a line of functionaries the exact occupations of whom Garia found difficulty understanding.

"I'll explain in detail later, Garia," Keren whispered to her when she inquired. "These people look after things like the water supply, the drains, food and fuel, fire precautions and so on."

After the city officials came a few of the nearer local barons and counts who usually joined the big city celebration rather than hold their own local festivals.

While the royal party was so occupied, servants from the palace had been erecting trestle tables and long benches at the front of the awning area, so that everyone under the other awnings could see their royal family eating with them. Once the introductions had finished, everybody moved towards the tables and found themselves seats to wait for the meal to be delivered. This time, the seating was arranged in family groups so that she was placed between Keren and Robanar. She frowned.

"You have a question, Garia dear?"

"Ma'am, I've obviously never been to one of these before, so I don't know what happens. But surely, won't we have to wait a long while for all that food to be cooked?"

"No, dear, not for very long, anyway. This meal will be mostly fresh fruit and vegetables which can be eaten without cooking, bread already baked, and some cold meats prepared before the festival began. There will be beer and wine, of course."

"Oh, I see, ma'am. And these tables?"

Robanar turned to her. "It is important for us to be seen eating in the same manner as the people, Garia. We do not object to this custom, not at all. It shows that the royal family is not remote from those we serve, that we are in most respects the same as they are." He gave her a broad smile. "Besides, it is a refreshing change to eat in this manner when the occasion permits."

Keren added, "A lot of the food you saw out there will be cooked, Garia, and served at the second meal we will eat here later today. Although what you saw out there seemed like enough food to feed us all, as the city has grown we have needed more and more food for this festival, so that some is usually kept in reserve to make sure that nobody who comes here today will go away hungry tonight."

Jenet appeared with a mug of wine for Garia, and shortly afterward the food made an appearance. No utensils were used for this meal, which meant that Garia had to be very careful not to get anything on her white gown. Every diner had a napkin on their lap but attention was still required. Most of the food was in bite-sized portions or could be held and chewed, only the bread needed to be torn first. The meal reminded her of those she had eaten with Tanon and his company on the way through the mountains.

She sighed. She'd lost count of the days since her arrival, and she was astonished by the changes that had happened to her in what seemed like a very short time. From being a lone girl in badly-fitting clothes on a mountain road to a well-dressed member of a royal court, the incidents and accidents had happened thick and fast. What was this strange place she had found herself in? Was it really an actual world, somewhere else in the universe? Was her coming a pure accident, or was there some design to her presence here? What if this was nothing of the sort, but some other bizarre explanation she was unable to figure out?

"Garia, dear? You look lost in thought."

"Uh, yes, ma'am, I was. I'm still trying to figure out where I am and why I'm here." A sad smile at the Queen. "I don't think I'm going to get any answers, though."

"Then you shouldn't let it worry you, dear," Terys said, her practicality coming through. "I'm sure that if there are answers to find, then we'll find them in time."

Garia nodded. "As you say, ma'am."

After the meal was finished, the occupants of the royal awning stood and talked quietly while the tables and benches were stacked away. Some paid a visit to nearby latrines, including Garia. When everyone was ready they all made themselves comfortable on mats laid over the grass inside the awnings and slowly drifted off to sleep in the afternoon heat. Around them, and within the shade of the awnings, members of the Palace Guard took positions to keep the royal party from being disturbed. Throughout the whole field, others of the Palace Guard and the City Guard patrolled as most of the other festival-goers took their early afternoon naps as well.

~o~O~o~

The royal enclosure had been re-arranged again. It was a little cooler now, and most people had risen from their naps. Sounds from the booths surrounding the field began to be heard, and smells from snack booths could be detected wafting over and through the awnings. Many people were now seated in the central oval, enjoying the sun on mats and blankets, others beginning to roam the booths, looking for games, snacks, novelties or a quiet corner to conduct business. The tables had been re-erected inside the royal awning against the two sides. In front of the tables were placed half of the benches, the other half were perched on top, forming crude bleachers. The men carefully climbed onto the tables and sat above their womenfolk who filled the lower benches in front of them.

At the back of the awning, seven chairs had been placed. These were not ornate by any means, just good sturdy chairs that might be found in any house in the town. These were occupied by Robanar, Terys, Gilbanar, Vivenne, Visselen, Prasard and Keren. In front of the awning, at the near end of the oval, a crowd had gathered to watch the proceedings. The Chamberlain Kendar stood to one side and banged his staff on a flat stone especially placed there for the purpose.

"Be it known to all men in the city and country of Palarand, that as is customary during the Harvest Festival, the Commons Court is now in session! If any have wrongs or grievances which defy the judgments of ordinary proceedings, they may present them especially to the King for his personal decision." Kendar paused, and turned from facing the crowd to face Garia, who was seated on a bench at the side next to the row of chairs. "Before the first appellant is called, His Majesty wishes to dispose of a personal debt. Would Lady Garia stand forth before the King!"

She had known that something like this would probably happen, but it was still a shock to hear her name called. She stood up and curtseyed carefully in front of Robanar, knowing that the eyes of the crowd were watching her. Robanar stood and to the surprise of many bowed to her.

"Walk with me, Garia," he said, taking her hand.

He led Garia to the front of the awning, so that she was plainly visible to everyone who was watching. He positioned himself behind her, a hand gently placed on each of her shoulders, and began to speak, his voice loud enough to carry across those watching.

"This young woman is named Garia. She came to Palarand a month ago, having been found alone in the mountains to the south. She is not from anywhere in Alaesia but comes from a far distant land called Kansas. She does not know where her home lies and she does not know how she arrived here or how she might return. The days, months and years are numbered differently where she lives and we do not know her age, but we are all agreed that she is not yet old enough to be called an adult. For that reason, we have adopted her, made her as one of our family, until she is able to determine her own fate.

"The customs and practices of Garia's lands are very different than those of the Valley peoples, and Garia has generously agreed to tell us what she can of her peoples' ways. She brings new ideas, new methods, new ways of considering the world around us, and you will all benefit from these in the future. The knowledge she brings will not be jealously guarded but freely given to the people. This was her request and we have agreed completely with it.

"Since she has no family anywhere within our realm, other than ourselves, and no other means of support, I have decided to grant her a token of land and a title with which to hold that land. This is for two reasons, firstly to provide her with some income of her own and secondly to express our gratitude for what she has already done for us. As I have mentioned, Milady Garia has been generous to us, and we feel obliged to return that generosity."

Robanar let go of her and stood to one side, gesturing that she should face him. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted movement, and turning her head she saw Keren standing with an enormous sword which he offered hilt-first to his father. Robanar drew the sword from its sheath.

"Kneel, Garia."

She immediately fell to her knees, carefully gathering her skirts to prevent the grass soiling them. Robanar touched her on the right shoulder with the sword blade, then raised it again.

"For your gifts to Palarand I name you Baroness Garia. The style, title and responsibilities of Baroness shall be yours and that of your heirs and descendants from today for all time.

Robanar touched her left shoulder with the sword and raised it again.

"As any noble, you shall have lands to support you. My brother the Duke Gilbanar has graciously ceded lands to you which you may call your own, and therefore I shall create and bestow upon you the Barony of Blackstone. Rise, Baroness Garia of Blackstone."

As Garia stood, there was some polite applause and murmuring from the crowd but the solemnity of the occasion was somewhat spoiled by a small number of chuckles and guffaws. Keren held the sheath for Robanar to return the sword, and then the King led her by the hand back towards their seats. As they took their seats again Kendar banged his staff.

"Bring forth the first appellant!"

Keren stood beside Garia and whispered low, "So, Baroness, how do you feel?"

"Overwhelmed," she said shakily. "It's a bit of a shock, even though I was expecting something like this to happen. Can we go somewhere and talk about it?"

"Of course! That's why father decided to do it first." He turned and caught Robanar's eye, receiving a nod in response. Garia stood and the two quietly made their way through a flap at the back of the awning, followed by Jenet.

"I am so pleased for you, milady," Jenet said. "It is only what you deserve."

"Oh," Garia moaned, "I wish people would stop saying that!"

Merizel appeared. "Congratulations, Garia!"

"I'm so sorry, Merizel, I seem to have jumped right over you in status. I hope you don't mind."

"Me, mind? Of course not! You thoroughly deserve it! After all, you're the one with all the ideas."

Garia turned to the Prince. "Keren, why did some people laugh? It didn't sound right."

Keren gave her a smirk. "That was extremely clever, actually. Father was afraid that by making you a noble of any sort he'd be offending some of the others. After all, you've only been here a short while, as he pointed out. Then Uncle Gil, ahem! I mean, Duke Gilbanar of North Palarand came up with a suggestion while they were discussing something you said the other day and it seemed the perfect way to prevent anyone objecting.

"I'll tell you the whole details later, but Blackstone is a very small town way up in the mountains. It might have a thousand people, possibly less. Not big enough to upset any of the established land-owners. It's at the entrance to a very small valley full of worthless rock that wanders back into the mountains for some distance. The area is so poor that there are no mines or farms, anything like that, just a few herders, that's all."

Garia considered this. "So, it's just a kind of nominal title, then? Somewhere to name the barony after, is that what you mean?"

Keren smirked again. "Yes, exactly! At least, that's what the other lords will believe, and it will even be true at first. They'll think you've just been handed a worthless piece of mountain, and, being a woman, you won't have any idea of what the King has handed you. If you did, you'd probably consider that he'd given you an insult. But, Garia, think! The town is called Blackstone for a reason. And what do you think all that worthless rock might be?"

"Blackstone? Why, it has to be... Oh My God! Not coal, surely?"

He grinned at her like a lunatic. "Exactly!" he repeated. "Those lords won't know what will have hit them in a few years, will they? If everything you've told us about coal is proved correct, and I've no reason to doubt you, Uncle Gil might come to regret ceding you that land. Oh, by the way, I guess that makes him your immediate overlord, doesn't it?"

While they had been talking all the others had emerged and now stood round congratulating Garia. They made a small crowd, partially blocking the wide path, discussing this latest development and what would happen to Garia next. Only Jenet noticed a footman open the flap, approach her, whisper a message and return within the awning. Jenet spoke to Keren, who was initially startled, then grinned at the back of the awning.

"Hush, everyone!" he said. "We have been asked to keep our voices down. The King can't hear himself think."

There was an abrupt silence and they all looked at him.

"Do you suggest we find somewhere of our own to talk, Highness?" asked Terinar quietly.

"You'll have to find somewhere on your own, I'm afraid. Father has asked me to return and join him, to listen to the judgments he is making. After all," he explained, "it could be me doing that in a few years. I've no objection to the rest of you going off."

"We wanted to look round the booths," Dalenna said. "We can talk this evening, or tomorrow come to that. The festival will only be here today, and we won't get another chance for years."

"A good point," Terinar said. "Who's for going round the booths?"

"We can't all go together," Korizet pointed out. "There's just too many of us."

Garia looked around. Besides the ten young nobles, there were five maids, two guardsmen pretending to be footmen, two more pretending to be pages, and four in full armor with spears. Such a mob moving through the crowd would cause problems.

"Actually," she said tentatively, "Merizel wanted me to join her going round the booths today. Most of these men around us are here to protect me. If we all go as a group, it will be too many. Perhaps we should split up? Merizel and I can take the four guardsmen and these others - who actually are also guardsmen in disguise - can join some of you instead."

"You have eight guardsmen looking after you?" asked Stebenar in amazement. "Is the danger to you really that great?"

"I don't think so, but we really don't know. If I take the four who look as if they mean business, then that ought to be enough, shouldn't it?"

"You and Merizel, Jenet, Bursila and four guardsmen," Keren considered. "Yes, enough to cover you, and not so many as to cause trouble in the crowd." He turned to the four in disguise. "Would you mind looking after the other ladies? You'll probably have to split two and two."

"As you wish, Highness," replied Tord. "I am a little uneasy about this, but it seems a practical way of dividing our numbers."

"Ooooh!" Terissa said, sidling up to Benith. "I want this one to come with us!"

Keren gave Garia a knowing grin, waved at the group and disappeared into the awning. Everyone sorted themselves out into three groups and they dispersed to sample the delights of the booths.

Although most people had arisen from their sleep, and those who hadn't would soon be awoken by the noise around them, the traffic was relatively light to start with. Garia and Merizel walked easily through the maze of small tents, awnings, stalls and tiny sheds which were the main draw for much of the attending population. Some sold food or drink, not just local produce but also exotic dishes from far corners of Alaesia and the outlying islands. Some sold trinkets, objects of art, jewelry both real and fake, practical household items, weapons of all shapes and sizes and much else. Given the difference between the range of items available to these people as opposed to, say, Kansas, Garia found herself impressed.

There were seamstresses repairing clothes, perhaps torn during the journey to the festival, cobblers mending shoes and boots, persons calling themselves 'healers' offering what were undoubtedly quack medicines, hairdressers, others whose purpose she could not make out. Some booths offered services both legal and otherwise, and one richly furnished tent they passed was apparently a temporary brothel. A red-faced Merizel had walked rapidly away once she had realized it's purpose.

The crowds built up, and the two women stopped to take some refreshment at a booth with benches outside. Garia had gotten one of the guardsmen to check with the owner, and she determined that it was somewhere nearer to 'cafe' than to 'bar' in purpose. All of them were seated, Garia insisting that the armored guardsmen spend at least a little time off their feet in the heat. They both had goblets of thin wine, Jenet and Bursila also drinking wine while the men drained tankards of small beer.

"What do you think?" Garia asked Merizel. "Is it what you expected?"

Merizel nodded vigorously. "Oh, yes! This is so much better than what I'm used to. I'm glad we came, and I'm glad it's just us two. It would have been completely different if the boys had come with us."

"I know just what you mean. But, what about the other girls?"

"They'd be good companions, I suppose, but the party would be too big, wouldn't it? With all of us and our maids and your guardsmen, we'd crowd out anywhere we went. Besides, with all the other nobles about we wouldn't be treated the same. As it is everyone expects us to have purses bulging with cash."

"Too true. Is there anywhere you'd especially like to see, that we haven't found yet?"

"There are booths where people do conjuring, so I am told. I haven't seen any yet. And I'd quite like to have my fortune told." She giggled. "I know it's complete nonsense, but that's part of the fun, isn't it?"

A fortune teller's booth was found, and Merizel was duly told that she would marry a 'tall, dark stranger'. Puzzling to both of them was the fact that the old woman refused point-blank to tell Garia's fortune and even refused to say why, merely asking both of them politely to leave.

"That was strange," mused Garia as they walked away, "but considering just how I got here and who I was a month ago, I'm not surprised she wouldn't commit herself."

"But you never told her any of that," Merizel objected. "So how did she know you came from somewhere else entirely? It's not obvious to look at you."

Garia shrugged. "Maybe there are things out there she can detect that we can't, I don't know. Never mind, we can have a laugh over it tonight, can't we?"

"Oh, yes! I've certainly enjoyed myself today, and we have enough to last several evenings of conversation," Merizel grinned, "even without talking about a certain recent ennoblement."

"Oh, please don't! I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now I'm officially a baroness. I guess someone will remember to teach me my duties."

"I can help, Garia." Merizel looked around, and at the sky. "That's talk for another time, though," she resumed. "I wonder how long we've been out here? Do you think we have time to find a magic booth?"

"Jenet? The time has flown, hasn't it? Should we be thinking about returning?"

"I'm not sure, milady. In this noise, no-one can hear any bells, which is probably just the way the stall-owners wish it to be. Judging by the sun, perhaps we ought to be starting back. In all this maze of booths I have little idea where we are, though."

"Neither have we, Jenet."

"Milady? We are about a third way round the field," the guardsman Feteran offered. "I think the center lies that way," he pointed along a narrow track between booths, jammed with people, "but our best plan might be to return the way we came, I remember a wider cross-way which should bring us quickly to the broad path running round the field."

"As you say, Feteran. Lead on, then."

With Feteran and D'Kenik in the lead, and Yasoon and Kerrak bringing up the rear, the party pushed through the crowds until Feteran indicated the turn with a hand sign. The new passage didn't look much wider than the previous one, and was just as crowded. Garia found she was being jostled by people pushing past, even though the presence of troops in armor with spears should have made a space around them.

At least I won't get pick-pocketed, she thought. That's one advantage of having a bag-carrier, although of course it just shifts the problem to the bag-carrier, doesn't it? Hey! These people are getting a little close for comfort!

It suddenly dawned on Garia that other crimes than theft might take place in a crowd such as this.

How could I have so stupidly forgotten? Crap, this could get serious!

She elbowed a particularly close passer-by out of the way and then leaned forward to tap Feteran on the shoulder. Before she could touch him he and D'Kenik were separated from them by the crowd, who simply pushed between them and the women.

A hand closed on her right arm, above the elbow, and she turned in a blaze of adrenalin to find Jenet closing in.

"Milady!" she hissed. "I've just seen Serdel in the crowd! This isn't good!"

"Turn," Garia said instantly. "We need to stay close to the guards."

Another hand grabbed her left arm, a larger hand, and she knew it wasn't one of her party. The hand yanked her to her left, and tore her out of Jenet's grasp. Free now to move, she swiveled towards her opponent, a nondescript man in typical festival garb. She took two steps forward, unbalancing the man, and then drove her knee into his crotch.

"Aaah!"

The man started to double up and let go of Garia. She ignored him temporarily and turned to her right, looking for the other men she knew would be there. They were there, two more men approaching from the right. She assumed a ready position. On her left side, the man she had kneed fell to the ground and the crowd, suddenly aware that something was going on, began to pull back.

"Hey, you!"

Yasoon stepped forwards, lowering his spear towards the pair. The leftmost one, nearest to Garia, moved to put her between himself and the spear point. The other man wasn't so assured, he tried to shield himself behind his mate. The lead man pulled a knife from his belt and tried to grab Garia, use her as a shield to stop the guardsmen attacking them. Garia's instinctive response was to kick the knife out of his hand with her right foot, swiveling left as she did so.

Big mistake. She had made no allowance for her long flowing gown. Her leg came halfway up and tangled in the skirt, but her momentum carried her on to her left and she fell, the skirt wrapping round her legs and preventing her from regaining her balance. The nearest bystanders skipped out of the way as she fell onto the grass at their feet. The man took three steps forward and stood over Garia, bending down to pull her up with his free hand.

Wham! The heavy satchel, on its long shoulder strap, caught the assailant full on the side of the head as Jenet swung it, and the man fell instantly to the ground, the knife flying from his grasp. The other man took one look and promptly bolted, forcing his way through the crowd of bystanders.

"Stop him!" shouted Kerrak. "In the name of the King!"

The crowd parted instantly and the man took to his heels... to run onto the point of Feteran's spear. The older guardsman immediately pulled his weapon back but the damage was done, and the man collapsed dead on the ground. Yasoon and Kerrak both lowered their spears and applied the points to the two downed men while Jenet helped Garia to her feet.

The crowd now stood back and made a curious circle about the group, realizing that with two Palace Guard present something serious and untoward had happened. Shortly, Feteran forced his way through the perimeter and bowed to Garia.

"A thousand pardons, milady! This should not have happened!" His face was grim. "I fear Captain Bleskin will have some fierce words to say to us tonight, we were charged with your protection and we have failed."

"You haven't failed, Feteran," she replied gently. "You would only have failed if they had succeeded in kidnapping me. Where's D'Kenik?"

"Standing over the body, milady. I thought it best not to leave it, it might not be there next time we looked."

"Prudent given the circumstances." She thought for a moment. "What do we do now? We can't handle these two and a body and consider ourselves safe any more. Can we afford to send one of you for help?"

Feteran nodded. "If we bring the body here, milady, that will give us three while the fourth goes. And we can bind these, hand and foot, to prevent them from running." He raised his voice to the crowd. "Rope! Rope, I ask, to bind these criminals!"

Several lengths of rope were tossed into the space they occupied. Feteran selected some of the more robust looking pieces and bound the two men hand and foot while the other two guardsmen stood over them. Another short length of rope he fashioned with a noose at each end and slipped it over their necks.

"To make it more awkward for them to be rescued, milady. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go and fetch D'Kenik and the third man."

He handed her his spear and plunged back into the crowd. She eyed it thoughtfully.

I haven't exactly done much spear work in the past, have I? It's not the sort of thing they teach in a dojo. There's no way I could throw a thing like this, even after practice, I'm just too short and my arms aren't long enough. Best bet is to use it like a quarterstaff, I guess.

She gripped the spear two-handed and turned to Merizel. "Feeling all right?"

"I think so, Garia. I'm just not used to this kind of excitement. Are we safe, do you think?"

"Who knows? I think we've beaten them off for now, but they may try again. I'm sorry, this was a stupid idea of mine, wasn't it? We should have had more back-up."

"Back-up? Oh, I see. Yes."

"Jenet?"

"Yes, milady?"

"Thank you for your skills with the bag. That probably saved me today."

"But of course, milady. Your safety is as much my concern as it is that of your guardsmen."

The crowd parted and Feteran and D'Kenik appeared, each pulling the corpse by an arm. They dumped him beside the two others, who paled at the sight.

"Right," Feteran said. "Yasoon, go and find a detachment if you can. Palace Guard, City Guard, it doesn't matter which. Bring'em here as quickly as possible. Best route is probably the way we were going." He pointed. "Don't get lost."

Yasoon handed his spear to Feteran and disappeared into the crowd. With Garia, the three remaining guardsmen formed a mini-perimeter around the group, Feteran apparently assuming that Garia could handle the weapon. She thought that this might not be the best time to tell him that she couldn't.

It seemed a long time but was probably no more than two minutes before Yasoon reappeared leading eight City Guardsmen dressed in dark blue, and all with drawn swords. Their leader nodded to Feteran before looking suspiciously at Garia and the spear she was holding.

"She's fine," Feteran told him. "Trust me, I've seen her in action. Now, we need to get these two - and this body - back to the royal enclosure."

The man's eyes flicked over the captives and the body. "As you command, sir."

They started out dragging the body by the arms, but that wasn't too successful an idea so a plank was commandeered from one of the booths. Two of the city guardsmen carried the plank while four guarded the prisoners. The remainder together with Garia's men completely surrounded the women.

~o~O~o~

"Oh, no, not again!"

Those were Keren's words as he tumbled through the awning flap after hearing of Garia's arrival. He looked her up and down for damage, feeling relieved that she appeared whole. Fortunately her gown hadn't ripped but there were grass stains all down one side where she'd fallen over. Then his gaze took in the two captives and his expression hardened.

"Fetch out Captain Bleskin!" he ordered the nearest guardsman, who ducked under the flap. He turned to Garia. "What happened?"

"We got caught up in a crowd between the booths, and someone tried to grab me," she explained. "We managed to hold them off, though. Feteran stuck one through the chest as he tried to run. Jenet said she'd seen Serdel in the crowd."

"You just can't keep out of trouble, can you?" he said, but there was a small, relieved smile on his face.

Anything else he might have said was lost as Bleskin arrived. He made a careful survey of the area, noting the various groups of guardsmen, the prisoners, the body and the grass on Garia's gown. He turned to her.

"Milady? Inside the tent, if you please. Highness? If you would accompany the baroness."

Noting the tone of command, both nodded to him and entered the tent, followed by Merizel and the maids. Robanar and Terys turned their heads at the interruption, their eyes widening at the state of Garia's gown. Nevertheless, as they were in the middle of an important adjudication, they turned back to those in front of them and continued.

Once the case was finished they beckoned to Kendar and spoke to him. Kendar banged his staff and declared the Commons Court at an end owing to 'exceptional circumstances'. Several of those waiting looked unhappy to be denied a hearing, but soon they began to disperse, leaving the normal crowd of onlookers in front of the awning.

Terys hurried over, reached out to hug Garia and thought better of it.

"My dear! Are you injured?"

Garia gave a wry smile. "No, ma'am, only my pride. I was not careful enough today."

Terys did hug her then, holding her tight for a long moment before releasing her and looking into the girl's eyes.

"You are a constant source of worry, my dear. Elizet and Malann were never like this! Are you going to be like this all your life, do you think?"

"I hope not, ma'am. It would be better if people didn't keep trying to make off with me!"

"What has happened?" Robanar had joined them.

Garia, with help from Merizel, described the events as best as they could. When she had finished, she felt tired.

"I'd like to sit down, Sire. I feel weary all of a sudden."

"Of course you would. Make room for Garia, there." She was sat on the end of one of the benches, and a mug of water handed to her. "The poor girl's had some excitement, let her rest a little." His expression hardened. "You said there were prisoners?" he asked her.

"Yes, Sire, two men. The third was more or less accidentally killed as he ran away. Captain Bleskin has it all in hand, I believe."

Robanar nodded. "Good. Now, Baroness, I regret that you must needs spend the rest of the day with us, under our protection. Do you understand me?"

Garia looked at the King, unsure of his demeanor. "As you command, Sire," she said in a low voice.

I've been grounded! Not surprising really, considering I so stupidly forgot that people were after me. I just wanted to enjoy the fair with Merizel.

"Now," Robanar continued, "I must find Bleskin and see what good we can make from this circumstance."

He turned to go, but Garia stopped him.

"Sire? If you speak to the men, don't blame them for what happened. There were so many people walking round the booths it wouldn't have been possible for them to keep a clear space round me. If there was any fault, it was mine for underestimating the crowds."

He stared at her for a moment, then smiled and nodded.

"You prove yourself gracious, Garia. I will bear your words in mind. Terys, look after our treasure, will you?"

The women all fussed round her, Terys making her move from the bench to one of the chairs. She had to tell her story again, but including everything the party had done from the time they had left the royal enclosure. While she was doing this the others returned in small groups from their own expeditions, and soon the whole space under the awning was full of young and old talking excitedly about what they had seen and done that afternoon. Garia's tale was the most exciting, but Dalenna's maid had had her satchel stolen, which made Garia feel very slightly better.

Kendar banged his staff. Repeatedly, until the crowd of people under the awning stopped talking and turned to look at the King.

"I'm sure today's happenings have been exciting," he told them dryly, "but there will be time enough to talk once we return to the palace. For now, we must prepare ourselves for the evening meal. Keren, would you escort your friends to the front, where the Queen and I will shortly join you. The rest, you will have to make space so the tables may be prepared."

Keren looked dubious. "Will it be safe, father?"

Robanar grinned. "I can guarantee it, Keren."

Those under the awnings separated, some going to the front and some out through the rear flaps while others began moving the tables and benches. When Garia got to the front, at the edge of the central area, she found a solid line of guardsmen separating the royals from the people, who looked at them with interest through the gaps between the troops. A hand found hers, and she looked up at Keren.

"He's not taking any chances, is he?" he said.

"Bit late now," she replied, and he looked at her sharply. "What I mean is, we've all underestimated these people, haven't we? As long as I stayed in the palace, I was reasonably safe, but out here was their best chance. Pity none of us thought about today in that light, we were all thinking about the procession, and the services, and the booths and all."

"As you say, Garia. But we'll discuss this in detail when we get back. If that's one thing you have made us realize, it's that the details are important. Look! Marlin seems quite content this afternoon."

Marlin appeared to be having an animated discussion with Korizet and Terissa, looking more natural than she had seen him until now. She turned to look at the others, they all had obviously enjoyed their forays into the maze of booths. A grunt from behind announced Robanar's presence.

"Milady, I have instructed Captain Bleskin not to reprimand your guardsmen, as you suggested. The situation is not as simple as I first believed. We shall wait to see if any of our standing instructions need to change in the light of today's happenings."

"Thank you, Sire."

The day had one more unexpected happening to spring on Garia before its end. There was a scream from the crowd, an arm pointed to the sky and faces turned. The noise around them quietened quite rapidly, and she became aware that everyone was looking into the eastern sky behind their awning. Turning, she saw a group of dark shapes beating their way through the air below the clouds. It was impossible at first to make out the shape of the creatures, for creatures they most certainly were. The whole field had by now become almost silent as everyone watched the group overfly the city on their way up the Valley.

"Sire, what are those?" she asked. "Are they birds? Or bats?"

There was a jarring conflict within her head, as neither bird nor bat was translated into the local tongue.

"I do not know what birds or bats are, milady," he replied quietly. "They are grakh, and if they should chance to notice this crowd, there will be a disaster, as they are voracious eaters of flesh. They are rarely seen in these parts except just before the rains, and even then they tend to shun the places where men are."

"We call those creatures that fly avians, Garia," Keren added. "Do you have such on Earth?"

Garia's mouth was dry as she watched the grakh, maybe ten or twelve strong, fly away towards the south-west. They looked vaguely bat-like, but the silhouette was different somehow. Almost like... Pterodactyl? Pteranodon? Some kind of flying dinosaur, perhaps. With a jolt she understood that she had unconsciously been assuming that this world was just a younger Earth and it took the sight of creatures like that to remind her that Anmar was really an alien world with all that might imply.

"Why do they not come down here?" a voice at her side asked. She looked and saw Captain Bleskin, his eyes fixed on the creatures. "There are crowds here, great quantities of food being prepared, can you not smell the cooking? I would think that might cause them to investigate this place."

"I do not know, Bleskin," Robanar said, his eyes still on the rapidly disappearing animals. "That we have seen them is enough, I trust they were far enough away not to spook the animals with our carriages."

"Sire," Garia asked, "Are those the creatures that caused the injury to... the Duke of Kendeven? How big are they?"

"Whether those are the very creatures we do not know," he replied, "but of that kind, yes. They are larger than a frayen, perhaps, milady, but not nearly as large as a dranakh."

Jesus! No wonder the animals got spooked!

"Sire!" Bleskin spoke again, urgently. "That is why they ignore us," he said, pointing over the awning. "They flee the ptuvil, who deems them prey as they deem us prey."

Garia's head turned and her blood froze in her veins. It was impossible to take her eyes from the single creature which flew into sight, seemingly intent on catching the disappearing grakh. It was black against the lowering sun and was obviously bigger, much bigger than the grakh that preceded it. It had a long neck, forelimbs, two vast wings, rear limbs and a long sinuous tail. Sheer terror combined with complete and utter hopelessness left her unable to move.

Jesus Christ! They have DRAGONS!

- - -

She could not tear her gaze from the awful sight. How long she stood there she did not know. Her focus entirely upon the dreadful apparition making it's way across the sky above her, she did not know how it affected everyone else at the festival. Around her, it had become silent, so quiet that it was possible to hear the panicked cries of some of the animals in the distant corrals, but there were no human sounds at all.

Eventually she became aware that her arms ached. Daring to tear her gaze away from the sky, she discovered that she had wrapped her arms tightly around Keren's waist. With a great conscious effort she loosened her grip, but then discovered that he in his turn had put an arm tightly around her shoulders. The expression on his face was one of determination, resolution, desperation, fear, hopelessness.

She instinctively understood this. He would defend her to the last, but it would not be enough. Nothing these people were capable of would make the slightest impression on a creature that size. If it landed in the middle of the festival, there would be complete carnage. For a fortunate few around the edges of the field, there would be escape, but for the rest they would be lucky if they only got crushed in the panic. She also began to appreciate that there were some dangers no amount of martial arts would ever overcome, and that there would be occasions when she would have to trust her future to others.

Now that the spell of the creature had been broken, she looked briefly around at her companions. Without exception every woman had grabbed the nearest man, often to the consternation of one or both parties. None of the men was prepared to abandon a single woman, however, but each seemed willing to defend them to the death. Perhaps it was an instinct inbuilt to the species here, much as spiders or snakes or even mice caused a similar reaction back on Earth.

Finally, it was clear that the creature had no interest in them, and everyone began by minute degrees to relax.

"You see a rare sight, milady," Bleskin told her, his arms around Jenet. "Ptuvil have not been seen in the Valley for many years, certainly not since I came to the palace. They habit the wilder places, the mountains to the north and south. I have encountered such in my youth, often at some cost to family, friends or livestock, but usually they seek other prey than mankind."

"Aye," added Gilbanar, standing nearby and clutching Vivenne and Korizet. "We know of few such these days, but those we do know tend to leave us alone. Thank the Maker!"

"How big would one of those be, Sire?" she asked. "It is difficult to estimate size when you don't know how far away something is."

Keren answered, "It is said that a full grown ptuvil may be anything from seven to ten strides in length, Garia, with wings as great or greater. Since we have never seen a dead one, we can only go by historical accounts." He looked down at her, still nestled in his arm. "You said a word earlier, which sounded as though you recognized the beast. Do you have such on Earth?"

And some of these people thought I came here riding one of those! What did they think I was?

"Ptuvil, you called them? No, we don't have anything like that on Earth. Thank God." She paused, other notions triggered by the resemblance. "We have a creature of legend only," she said slowly, "called a dragon, which is said to look much like that thing. It was always considered to be something made up out of people's imaginations."

She turned to Robanar. "Sire, this is a creature that in theory may also have appeared on Earth. This makes the connection between our two worlds a very strange one. I must take time to think over what I have seen today."

He nodded. "As you wish, Garia. Let us know when you are ready with your speculations."

Behind them, people were beginning to resume their normal functions, and soon it was time for them to take their seats for the evening meal. The ' priest' and his two female supporters came and made a short speech, and then everyone sat to enjoy the freshly cooked food. One of the serving staff had smuggled forks in for them all to use, so they were all able to eat the meats, vegetables and fruits without discomfort.

The meal was subdued. Everyone, inside the awnings, in the central area where many picnicked and throughout the booths, had been unnerved by the appearance of fierce flying predators, and the meal was conducted without the high spirits which Keren told Garia was the usual case. Unlike previous occasions, when many people would remain on the field until well after sunset, sampling the delights of the booths, most thought it wise to leave as soon as appeared polite. Robanar was one of these.

"Kendar, order the carriages, if you would. I think we have had more than enough excitement for today."

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somewhere Else Entirely -35-

Becoming a Baroness, Dragons, Pteradons, and a kidnapping attempted kidnapping? Garia sure knows how to party at a festival.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Here be dragons!

(Bet that title will draw a few extra people to the comments on this one!)

Taking things in order...

Two finger high heels. Naturally, I got a ruler out and measured mine - each is in the region of 2-3 earth inches. So unless their fingers are very small or they're measuring the width rather than length of fingers, those are 4 inch high heels. Blimey!

Refrigeration. Anything resembling a modern day refrigerator would probably be a long way off. Is the concept of the ice house known to Anmar?

A buffet-style lunch (albeit fully catered - more practical than 'help yourself' for a large crowd) - what a smart idea!

When I read about Blackstone and its worthless rock, I immediately thought "coal" - since the locals still think it's useless. Muhahahaha!

At least one mugging and an attempted kidnap - probably about par for the course for such a large event. The fortune teller was an interesting twist though, and it would have been interesting to observe the magicians / illusionists. Oh well, I suppose there may be other fairs / festivals, perhaps on a smaller scale, in future where they can observe one.

So Anmar has Pterodons and dragons - I wonder what other strange creatures lurk around. Although given they live in the mountains, and Garia's bit of land is in the mountains, we may not have seen the last of them. Given those two creatures of the air abound, does Anmar have any plesiosaurs? And if so, do any of them reside in deep lakes? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

keeping your cool

Brooke Erickson's picture

Actually, the original design of a refrigerator is doable.

You compress air, (using water to cool the cylinder you are compressing it in) then let it expand and cool as it flows past the pipes carrying air to the compression cylinder. Done right, you get progressively colder air. And with a salt water bath on the right part of the expansion tube(s) you can *make* ice.

It's doable with machining skills about on a par with what she'll need for the steam engine.

And if they can produce ammonia gas (doable in a number of ways at their tech level, I just don't know if they or Garia know how), then they have a much better working fluid for a refrigeration system. That's because you can easily liquefy it under pressure and letting the liquid return to a gaseous state soaks up a *lot* more heat than just letting a gas expand.

Ammonia based refrigeration systems were the standard until freon was introduced. Main reason for switching to freon is that if it leaks, you don't risk poisoning lots of people.

But if they stuck to large installations, and on the fringes of town, the risks are acceptable.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Refrigerators

Are not going to be a problem, I think. She has asked for copper tubing, and will soon have access to reasonable quality alcohol. Other liquids/gases may come later, as modern chemistry gets off the ground.

The big problem is going to be connecting the steam engine to the pump...

Penny

Duh!

That would be two fingers in width.

Gosh! I'd like to be at your house when you pour drinks! "Two fingers of bourbon, please".

Ice houses. Yes, they do use them. If you remember, ice was mentioned when Morlan's body was recovered. Wagon-loads are brought down to the capital early spring.

As for the rest, yes to the coal, I wanted to get to the conjurors/illusionists but the chapter was already too big, flying things... hmm. Probably haven't seen the last of them.

Penny

Baroness Blackstone,

Brooke Erickson's picture

Baroness Blackstone, eh?

That is *definitely* going to be an important title if even a fraction of Garia's plans bear fruit.

Transporting the coal may get tricky at first, sounds like it's not the best place for canals. I wonder if she'll remember that the earliest railroads were horse-drawn and used wooden rails (then wood faced with iron and them finally the steel rails we are all familiar with)

I'm wondering how it is that the dragon can function. That suggests something odd about the laws of nature there. Or else its biology is really weird (which would explain the reputed toughness of dragons).

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Dragons?

(Waves hand)

These are not the dragons you are looking for.

(Waves hand)

There's nothing really odd about the laws of nature there. It's more to do with expectations, really. The reader's expectations, I mean ;)

Penny

Game Changer?

Seems like the existence of large predatory flying animals could induce Garia to go ahead and introduce gun powder, guns/canons, and rockets. She's been reluctant to do that up until now.

Gives a new meaning to the

Gives a new meaning to the phrase "Here be dragons," doesn't it? :)

Sorry, that's just the smart-*ss in me breaking out.... I fear I've kept it submerged to long.

Well done, once again, even with the teaser on top, you gave me something I didn't see coming.

And here I thought that a lot of the dragon tails (maybe not the ones in Europe) had a lot to do with the Komodo dragons. At least the shape of the head.

Mark

Now it's perfect!

You have Dragons! Even better you have reasonable an explanation and am forming more links between things traveling between here and Earth. So Garia is looking more and as not being the first traveler between worlds.
Good stuff!
hugs
Grover

Traveling between worlds

We've already had evidence that Garia isn't the first person to travel from Earth to Anmar: the Antikythera device.

Unfortunately, seeing such beasts appear doesn't really help clear up what's really going on, as we'll discover in time.

Other hints may appear in time - if I can think of any.

Penny

Baroness, Kidnappers, and Dragons... Oh, my.

Now THAT was a festival that Garia, and many will remember for a very long time.

Blackstone - worthless - not for long, I'm sure. In time, Baroness Garia is going to be a very wealthy woman, I think.

And, someone is still trying to get to her for whatever reasons. Not good.

Maggie

This chapter brings up good questions

Stuff like what kind of avian life is in Palarand. Also, are there any other stuff like Theropods and the like if Pteryldacti-like flyers are around. What are in Palarand's oceans for that matter? Has she even had any seafood or fish of any kind?

Lots to explore I think.

I hope as Baroness she will forbid strip mining as it is an eyesore and not environmentally sound either for that matter.

Also, she will have to have tearaway skirts so she can properly defend herself, embarrassment be damned. She has a lot to learn herself including working with weapons.

This is still an absolutely fascinating and engrossing tale.

And finally, oh my gosh, leaping lizards! there be dragons, indeed.

Thanks again so much Pen.

Kim

In another sense, this chapter is depressing

.... as Garia must realize that her freedom to go freely about is nonexistent unless she does it disguised. Once the important teaching duties are dealt with she may very well want to be able to get to know her new people in a more carefree manner. Right now it is just way too risky.

Kim

Freedom

You can take it from me that Garia won't like any kind of restrictions being put upon her, but she does have a good sense of responsibility - for her age. Even so, this outing shows that she can still screw things up on occasion, so it may make her more cautious in future. After all, she still wants to "get the snowball rolling", so won't want to jeopardize that.

Penny

Your stories are like dancing with words.

It is like a waltz one moment and then like an athletic belly dance the next, and brings me joy. Here I am struggling to decide to make a story first person or third and you weild all three with grace.

Thank you so much.

Lady Gwendolyn

With Royalty image is VERY important

What *image* does having Garia and the Prince Royal appearing BETWEEN the King and Queen at this huge public festival imply? Her and her *secretary* being the only ones in the Price Royal's carriage also says volumes.

The fortune teller incident was very odd. Just her signaling the kidnappers -- IE she recognized Garia -- or was the woman truly *gifted* and realized this was not the usual *rube*.

Or possible more importantly is the Prince Royal wrapping himself around Garia when they were potentially defenseless against the dragon; the future king defending Garia as if she was the single most precious thing to him? He is in love with her even if he does not know it.

As I have said before, Garia is the KEY to Parland's future. I would be very surprised if her Barony is far from the castle. The further she is from Parland the greater the temptation of rivals to seize her.

Why was the formerly rude prince so happy? Just from the fun of the festival or was he expecting/assuming Garia to be dead? OR conversely was he happy she was unharmed? Who REALY was behind the assualt?

Very strange.

Great chapter.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Garia's lands

The lands which Robanar gave to Garia are in the mountainous area of North Palarand. Not far as we moderns might consider the distance, but probably a few days journey by frayen - including a crossing of a 5km-wide river, and a stay at Gilbanar's castle en route.

Marlin? He's been thinking things over and drawn some conclusions. Unfortunately, as they say...

Penny

see

wow i love where i think this story is going. then again ive been completely before. so il wait and see what what surprises you have for us. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

I just hit me, I used to

I just hit me, I used to live on a street called Blackstone..... Moved to Black Hawk afterwards. Go Figure.

Somewhere else entirely...

Ahhhh... it's always nice to see a new chapter of 'SEE' has gone up!! Thanks Penny for another riveting part to your yarn.

Blossom

Well!

If there be dragons then Garia might feel compelled to invent gunpowder if only to protect Paraland.

Oh shit! Now the arms race is escalating and are the Ptuvil essential to the balance of nature as the 'top predator'.

Caution now Garia for truly, here be dragons!!!

If she did find some way of utilising gun-powder to only scare of the predators she would win the whole-hearted support of the Parlanders.

I desperate to see where this story now takes us.

NBev.

XZXX

bev_1.jpg

Party Girl

terrynaut's picture

Cool! This is a cool chapter. It keeps the story firmly in first place in my current reads. What a great new development! Dragons! I love the effect that the sighting had, even if it did seem a bit sexist. The way you portrayed everything made it work for me. I love how it put a damper on the party mood -- very realistic for fantasy.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I wonder

Referring back to my previous comment, I knew there were clues that she wasn't the first. The link of dragons to Earth legends however might mean this is a long stand link between the two worlds.

Another point too, is we've been thinking it's aliens or such who's responsible for her being here. However, what if it's the dragons? Could Garia be the reason it made an appearance at the festival?

Just some musings!
hugs
Grover

Awe-inspiring.

I guess I really need to see the easy-to-comprehend silhouette chart though, with a stylistic pictures of avian, ptuvil, and human - to scale. Sorry for my cluelessness

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Dragons

If there ever had been dragons I only hope that I did not live a life during those times!

Anyway, another great chapter :}.

dragons!

wow!

DogSig.png

Titles

Does being a baroness make her high ranking enough that she can marry Keren, I wonder if she might introduce firearms because of the dragons. I loved their instinctive reactions of holding one another. Also Yod really wants her.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

No dainty damsel her

Jamie Lee's picture

Why can't the bad guys pick some other place to be stupid, instead of spoiling things for many?

Those men expected a dainty young girl when they tried to grab Garia. The one guy was not expecting a knee to his jewels and hopefully will not be able to sire other stupid people.

The guy with the knife was lucky a dress got in the way or he might be nursing a broken wrist. Pity the guy who ran got the point before learning the error of his ways. But he won't try kidnapping again.

Whose fault another kidnapping was attempted? Everyone of the palace. No one believed an attempt would be made at the festival, except those who planned it. The two men who were captured might want to talk sooner than later, seeings how there are some really mad people right now.

Baroness Blackstone? Boy are those laughing going to get a big surprise when Garia gets started. Once the idea of using coal instead of wood, the people will wonder how they lived without coal. And if Garia knows how coal oil is produced?

Others have feelings too.

Garia

Nee Gary was a bright young man who grew up over a book shop. Does that mean he absorbed a major technical education? Probably not, yet even the awareness that such a thing can be done would be enough to put someone on the trail of it. She has put them on the trail toward coke, and really it isn't a far stretch to go the other way toward oil from coal.