Somewhere Else Entirely -37-

Printer-friendly version

Garia has a busy day impressing the assembled nobility, first with her martial knowledge and then with her engineering expertise. The twins help her understand what was behind Marlin's extraordinary offer.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

37 - Demonstration


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"No, Jenet, I'm sorry, this morning I will need my training clothes!"

Garia's maid looked at her enquiringly, the recently removed nightdress folded over her arm.

"We have a demonstration to perform this morning, after breakfast. You remember, we talked to Captain Bleskin about it!"

"Oh, of course, milady. I thought that you would be more concerned over the proposal from Lord Marlin."

Garia scowled. "Thanks for reminding me, Jenet!" Her expression became resolute. "I'll settle his hash after we've charmed the Dukes with our martial abilities."

Jenet smiled at the thought. "As you say, milady."

She moved into the dressing room, followed by Garia.

"Here, this is a new training tunic delivered yesterday afternoon, milady. We were too busy to try it then, shall you wear it now?"

"Why not? We have the time."

Garia put the new garment on and Jenet secured the waist ties.

"How does that feel?"

"Perfect, Jenet. I'll wear it today, do you think?"

"Mistress Rosilda's work is excellent, milady, so I would not expect any problems. Here, let me wrap the skirt around you."

Jenet completed the task of dressing her mistress before Garia sat in front of her dressing table to allow her maid to brush her hair.

"Hmm," Garia said. "Now we've gotten Harvest Festival out of the way, I expect I'll have to set up some sessions with Rosilda. There are a number of garments I want to discuss with her."

"I'll remind you to tell Lady Merizel, milady," Jenet said. "All these meetings and activities you have planned make my head spin."

"Yours and mine, Jenet. If not for Merry, I'd be in a right pickle." The word didn't translate, so Garia added, "That means a mess, as you might guess."

"As you say, milady."

A discreet knock on the door disclosed Keren, waiting to escort her down to breakfast.

"Ah!" she said as they started along the corridor. "Were you aware what your parents wanted to see me about last night?"

"No," he replied. "Was it important? "

"You could say that," she replied with a snort. "Would you believe Marlin put in a proposal to marry me?"

"What?" Keren stopped dead in the corridor. "You joke, surely."

Her expression was grim. "No joke, believe me. Duke Visselen apparently approached them during yesterday evening's dinner on behalf of his son. It was a serious offer."

"That's crazy, Garia! It's far too soon for you to be making those kinds of decisions. You've barely been here a month as it is, and you're still adapting to your body."

"My words exactly."

"Not considering the fact that Marlin is nowhere near adult enough to be taking such a step. He barely knows you, in any case! I trust you gave the offer the consideration it deserved?"

"Not exactly." Keren stared at her as her expression became sheepish. "I thought that your parents had given me away. It was rather embarrassing till they explained."

"Oh, Garia!" Keren put his arms around her and hugged her close, a move that Garia did not resist. "You poor thing. That's not how matters are arranged here, but of course you could not have known that." He stepped back, his hands on her shoulders. "You declined, of course?"

"Of course. Your parents thoughts were the same as mine, but they felt that they had to tell me as the offer had been formally made. Oh. What do I do when we get downstairs, Keren? How can I face him? All this is entirely out of my experience."

He gave her a big grin and they continued walking.

"I would think so," he replied. "You'll have to tell us of such customs on Earth, but I can't imagine that the boy is given away on your world."

Garia thought of arranged marriages in India and nearby. "Actually, it does happen in some cultures," she said, causing Keren's head to turn with surprise. "The boy and girl have little say in the matter, and the whole thing is treated like a business deal. Anyhow, this doesn't solve my immediate problem. What do I do?"

"Be strong," he replied instantly. "You've done it before, haven't you? Do the same again. If you can best Duke Jarwin, you can deal with a minor pain like Marlin."

"It's not the same," she protested. "It's more personal, somehow. Even the idea of having to live with him makes me feel ill. But I don't want to cause a scene, especially in front of all your friends."

"They're your friends as well now," he reminded her. His eyes narrowed in thought. "What do you think is behind the offer? Did father or mother know?"

She shook her head. "No, not a thing. They suggested I ask you, but I already had, so the twins was the next idea."

"That's a good idea, we'll ask them. I know! You can ignore him, seeing as we've this demonstration immediately after breakfast. Tell him you're too busy concentrating on the display."

"As you say, Keren."

Marlin had preceded them and approached as they entered the Receiving Room. He had dressed carefully and smartly, and his eyes flickered with surprise when he saw what Keren and Garia were wearing.

"Your Highness, My Lady," he greeted them, giving a low bow. "Do you exercise with the guard today?"

"We do, Marlin," Keren informed him. "In here, following breakfast, we shall show our guests what Garia has taught us since she arrived at the palace."

"I would be interested, Highness. Are all permitted to watch, do you know?"

"As far as I am aware, yes, Marlin."

Marlin turned his attention to Garia, his face showing a mixture of anxiety and anticipation. "Milady, have the King and Queen spoken to you lately, by any chance?"

"They have, Marlin," Garia replied. "There is no time now to speak of such matters, my attention is focused on the display. I will discuss your offer later. If you will both excuse me?"

Without waiting for a reply she turned and headed towards Terinar and Korizet, the two boys staring after her as she went.

"What did you do that for, Marlin?" Keren said in an undertone. "You know she can't possibly accept. She has not been in Palarand long enough to be settled here yet. I suspect that when she gets round to such considerations you won't be near the top of her list, either. You haven't made a good impression since you arrived here this time."

"Are you jealous, Highness? She may not marry you, and because of the accords between Palarand and Brikant I would be perfectly placed to provide her a husband. There is only you here in the palace, and it does not seem to me to be a suitable place for a girl to grow up in, whereas my sisters would make excellent companions for someone her age. She must needs have a husband in time, why should I not make my case?"

Keren grinned at Marlin, disconcerting him somewhat. "You really have no idea what you're talking about, Marlin! Garia is perfectly at home here in the palace, and this is the place she needs to be right now. Of our age there is only myself, true, but she is surrounded by very many who would follow her anywhere. You know little about her or her past, and you know nothing about what she intends to provide Palarand in the future. She is extremely busy and will likely remain so for at least a year. A husband is the last thing on her mind at the moment."

Marlin's face set. "We shall see, Highness."

Garia made sure she sat at the opposite end of the table so that there was little opportunity for any conversation between herself and Marlin. For his part he ignored her completely, concentrating on his breakfast. When the meal was nearly over Kendar stood and announced the forthcoming display, Marlin then looking in her direction with some surprise.

They all stood and retreated to the edges of the room so that the servants could clear the tables and move the chairs back. Garia was now familiar with this procedure. While they waited she spoke in a private tone to Jenet.

"Jenet, while I'm out there making a fool of myself, will you go and have a quiet word with the twins? I want to talk with them before I cross paths with Marlin again."

"As you wish, milady. Concerning the display, are we going to do the Tai Chi this morning, milady?"

Garia nodded. "Yes, of course. Does that trouble you? You can stand aside if it will."

"Not at all, milady. I'll join you for that, if I may, and then go find the two young ladies."

Garia's File appeared through the main doors, carrying three rolls of felt, the two from her room and the least scruffy-looking one selected from the other room. These were laid end-to-end along the length of the Receiving Room, leaving a wide margin of floor either side. The diners sat on the chairs against either wall or stood depending on preference. It was noticeable that extra people appeared quietly through the connecting doors, drawn by the unusual activity.

Garia, Keren, Merizel, Jenet and Bursila took positions in a line on the floor one side. Facing them, the ten men of her file formed two rows, the rear offset so that they could see those opposite them. With a brief nod, Garia led them into the Tai Chi, the watchers looking on with interest and the room becoming more quiet by the second.

When they reached the point where Garia had stopped teaching the moves to the men, most stopped and stood waiting. Four carried on, matching the moves of the more experienced five facing them. Garia was momentarily surprised by this, but realized that those who had continued were seasoned professionals who observed carefully and were quick to learn. When they had all finished they turned, prompted by Garia, and bowed or curtseyed to Robanar and Terys who were seated on their thrones at the end of the room.

Without anyone saying a word, Jenet came to Garia and removed her skirt, causing gasps throughout the room. With it over her arm, she re-tied Garia's sash and then joined the onlookers. Merizel, Bursila and Jenet dispersed into the crowd, Garia noting that Jenet headed casually to where the twins were sitting. The guardsmen now formed two rows facing one another along the length of the mats, with Garia facing Keren at the far end.

At a finger click from Keren the six pairs fell upon one another, simulating a small brawl. There were gasps as Garia threw Keren, but when he rolled to his feet, grinning, everyone understood that no harm would happen here. The guardsmen were also grappling, some throwing others or ducking to avoid attacks. The activity looked chaotic but it was possible to discern some organization since there was not very much room on the three mats for all six pairs to fight. Garia was pleased by the effect it produced since there had been no time to rehearse any of this beforehand.

Soon she felt that they had done enough and she stopped, clapping her hands once. The guardsmen stopped, stood up and stepped back to leave the center free. Garia now walked with Keren to the center mat and faced Robanar.

"Your Majesty, while the men have shown what they have learned in a short period of time I felt that it was better to save them any further embarrassment. However, His Highness has learned more and we wish to show you some more advanced techniques. Although His Highness has progressed I must add that there is more, much more that he and the men may learn given time. With your permission, Sire?"

Robanar waved a hand in assent and the room became electrified. Garia and Keren flew at one another in an intense energy that had been missing from the mock melee. There were gasps as first one then the other was thrown, only to bounce to their feet and renew the attack. There were also gasps when it appeared that crushing blows with hands, elbows, feet or knees were about to land but it soon became apparent that both were carefully pulling their punches to avoid injury to one another. Most of those in the room, unused to Garia's abilities, were shocked into silence by the violence of the demonstration.

Finally, having exhausted Keren's repertoire and shown that he could ably defend himself as well as attack, she ended that phase of the demonstration. The two stood and made oriental-style bows to one another before turning to the King and bowing and curtseying.

"Milady," he said, "a most impressive display. I had not realized that there was so much more to your method of fighting."

"This is not all, Sire. There is more, much more, and I am willing to teach it all to your men." Her eyes went to Gilbanar and Visselen. "And to those men of your Dukes, if you so wish it."

"I do so wish it," Robanar said. "Any advantage I may give the fighting men of Palarand I will accept. You do not intend teaching all by yourself, surely?"

"No, Sire. As we have discussed, the ten men you have seen this morning will become instructors, who will pass on their knowledge to others in time." She smiled an apology. "I do not anticipate that I will have the time to do much more than that myself."

"As you say, milady. Is your demonstration now finished?"

"Um, not quite, Sire. There is something else I want to try, although I have not tried this before and I don't know if it will work."

"As you wish, milady."

Robanar looked on with interest as Keren walked over to join his parents. The ten guardsmen now returned to the mat and formed two columns facing Garia and the King, assuming a defensive stance.

Garia took off at speed towards the men, throwing the first man on her right before tripping the man on her left. Without waiting to see the results she ducked under the second man's reaching arm and kicked his knee away from him, then helped him fall against the man on his right, causing them both to tumble to the mat. She threw the third man on her right onto the left-hand man, both fell in a heap. Continuing, she ducked between the two men in the fourth row, causing them both to turn inwards. She spun and jumped, her legs flying apart and kicking both men on the hip, throwing them backwards into their fellows. She spun again, ducking the reaching arms of the last man on her left to unbalance him, only to feel the arms of the final man go round her waist from behind, lifting her from the ground.

"Gotcha!" came Feteran's voice from behind.

"You think so?"

She brought her knee up, with her foot bent under it, and gently kicked back beneath her. She felt the softness of his groin on the sole of her boot and stopped. He jumped backwards, still holding her.

"Or maybe this," she said, reaching both hands over her head to grab his, her thumbs searching for his eyes. Feteran promptly dropped her.

"I yield, milady," he said with an approving smile as she turned to face him.

"Phew!" She blew out a big breath. "Come on, let's attend the King."

"File, attend!" Feteran called to the others. They all formed up in a line in front of the thrones, Garia standing in the middle. The men banged their left breasts with right fists while Garia curtseyed. Robanar stood and acknowledged the salute.

"Very impressive, milady," he said. "To best nine men like that, no-one would have believed it possible before now."

"And men partly trained by her," added Gilbanar. "That makes the feat even more impressive."

"Sire," she said with a smile, "I did cheat just a bit. The men knew that once they were down, they weren't to get up and attack me again."

"If this had been a real fight, milady," Gilbanar observed, "then those blows you landed would have disabled the men? Is that not so? Then your objection fails since it was only a demonstration."

Garia was forced to agree. The men began rolling up the mats and removing them from the room while Garia stepped forward to the throne. She was flushed with the effort and still breathing quite heavily. Jenet appeared by her side with a goblet of water, and the nobles waited until she had drunk some and calmed down to a more normal energy level.

"An impressive feat, milady," Visselen offered as she finally relaxed. "I will observe that all those men were unarmed, not even carrying knives this day. Tell me, would you have attempted this feat if they had carried knives or swords?"

"No, Your Grace," she said promptly. "Faced with ten men armed with swords, I would run, smartly, in the opposite direction. This method of fighting is not meant for situations like that." She cocked her head. "If I faced one or two just carrying knives, though, I might still attempt it. It's relatively easy to disarm an man with a knife, if you know how, and then you're on level terms."

"Would you wield a sword yourself, milady?" Gilbanar asked.

"I know how to, Your Grace, but I have barely any training or experience. I have tried some of the training swords here and find them too clumsy, probably as I am so small. I would need one specially made, I guess. The martial arts I am - was - training in encourages the student to make use of anything and everything one might find in reach, Your Grace. That might be swords of knives, but it could be spears, shields, sticks or even cloaks or chairs. If someone is trying to kill you, then you will use every means available to you in order to prevent that."

Gilbanar nodded. "As you say, milady."

Garia turned to see her fellow teens standing in a group, all with expressions of amazement on their faces. The boys, she corrected herself. The expression on the three girls was... astonishment, true, but also interest, calculation.

Of course! The girls have just discovered that what they supposed their world to be just simply isn't true. If I can do such things as they have just seen, then so can they.

Her gaze moved to Marlin, who stared back at her, white faced with shock. She gave him her best evil I told you so smile in return, and he lowered his eyes away from her face.

Good. That's a start, and I didn't have to put a finger on him. Stupid boy!

"This display has raised certain questions," Robanar said, standing. "We shall retire to our parlor to consider what we have just learned. Keren, Garia, shall you join Gilbanar, Visselen, Prasard, Vivenne and ourselves?"

"As you command, Sire." Garia curtseyed to the King, and then turned to Jenet to allow her to wrap her skirt round her again.

Once settled in the King's parlor, with the maids preparing the inevitable pel, the questions began.

"A realization came to me this morning, Garia," Robanar began, "which did not occur to me after your contest with Duke Jarwin. Tell us, are you typical of those on Earth? Do all women fight as you do?"

"Sire, you remember that on Earth I was not female." Robanar nodded, and Garia realized that he already knew all this but was asking for the benefit of the others. "I would think that women here are no different than women on Earth, to answer your question." Vivenne stirred. "It is more a matter of custom and circumstance which makes any difference in behavior. Any woman in the Kingdom can do those exercises we started the demonstration with, the Tai Chi. More men than women practice martial arts, but a significant proportion of women do. Women also take up arms and form a good part of my country's army, navy and air force."

"You are saying," Vivenne said slowly, "that you think that women here may do such tasks?"

"Yes, Your Grace, I do, and I'm not just talking about fighting, either. There will always be those things that a man will do better than a woman, and that a woman can do better than a man, but most things may easily be done by either once everyone becomes used to the idea."

"It seems that my idea of my place in the world is in error," Vivenne said. "And that of every woman."

Robanar grunted. "That is the reason we meet here instead of remaining in the Receiving Room. Every woman there will have seen what we saw, and will be thinking the same thoughts, Vivenne. Put plainly, 'If that small girl can achieve so much, then may we also?'"

"I understood this from the first, dear," Terys said. "The great change she will bring to women will be as large as that she will bring to our society by means of the knowledge she gifts us. I see only good coming from this. We all know of girls, women, who have good minds but are frustrated by their position, being only able to bear children and keep house for their husbands. If such as they are able to do more, then we can only benefit."

"It will start with our girls," Vivenne added thoughtfully. "They will become models for our people in time. Did you see the looks on their faces as Milady Garia went through those men?"

Visselen added, "Though Lord Marlin believes himself in charge of everything, in reality his twin sisters run our palace." He sighed. "After today's demonstration, I expect they will become quite impossible." He turned to Garia. "Milady, shall you train them? Are they too young to yet learn your methods?"

"Your Grace, one may start at any age, although it is possible one can be too young or too old to get the best benefit from the training. It is best from their age to about twenty, I guess, when the bones have stopped growing. I would warn you all, though, it's not just about the fighting. Your daughters will want to do anything your sons are capable of, Your Grace. They'll want to become Questors or Guild members, guardsmen or should I say guardswomen? Sailors, masons, farmers, anything a man can do, a woman can do also. Are you prepared to let them try?"

Visselen gave Garia a faint smile. "It seems I have little choice, milady."

"It will be difficult for us men," Gilbanar said. "We may resent the changes that are proposed. Any man's first duty is to protect a woman, is it not so? If a woman stands next to a man in the line of battle, will it not affect the way he fights?"

"So we thought at first, Your Grace," Garia replied. "It doesn't quite work out that way. I should warn you, though, that there are other unintended consequences when men and women work so closely together."

Gilbanar grinned at her. "I can guess, milady."

Visselen coughed. "Speaking of which, milady, do you intend all women to become attired as you were? It seemed... immodest."

"Your Grace, I thought quite hard about how I could manage the exercises with the kind of clothing that women wear here. What I have on is a compromise in that I wear the skirt in public, but in the training rooms I remove it for freedom of movement and to keep cool. You noticed that I wear tights to preserve modesty? It took the men a short while to get used to seeing me without a skirt but they are quite used to it now. After all, I'm dressed exactly the same as they are, aren't I?"

Visselen colored. "Yes, milady, but you are a girl and they are not."

Robanar intervened. "Visselen, those men would rather die than mistreat Garia. We have their complete trust in this matter."

"Still," Gilbanar said. "Granted you may train in an abbreviated costume, milady, but you will not be in a training room when trouble appears. I seem to remember that you could not fight in your festival gown."

"No, Your Grace, you are quite right," she said. "However." She stood and walked to the middle of the room, then lifted one leg. "If this skirt was a little looser and maybe a little shorter, I would be able to defend myself while still wearing it. See? I could do most of the actions I need and still keep near enough to the local clothing customs."

As she returned to her seat Vivenne objected, "You wish the skirt to be shorter, milady? By how much, if I may ask? Surely not as short as the tunic you wear."

"Oh, no, Your Grace. I guess, probably somewhere about knee length would do fine, providing the skirt was wide and light enough."

Vivenne nodded. "Unusual length compared to the current fashion, but fashions change over time, after all. You would also be wearing those tights, milady?"

"Actually, Your Grace, they are rather warm. I will have to discuss such things with the dressmakers in the coming weeks, with the Queen's permission."

Terys waved a hand in assent. "I will be most interested in your discussion, dear. Keep me informed." She had a thought. "Garia, dear, are these clothes similar to those that girls wear on Earth?"

Garia grinned. "Oh, no, ma'am. I could talk all day about those, but we'd bore the men, I'm afraid. If I was a girl on Earth, I'd be wearing quite a bit less than I am now."

Gilbanar's face lit up but Vivenne gave him a look and he subsided. She said, "I have heard about what they wear on Earth and I'm not sure that it is a suitable subject for polite company. We'll talk about it tonight, my dear."

"As you say, dearest."

Visselen asked, "Milady, you have shown us a spectacular display of unarmed combat, the like of which I had never imagined was possible. But, you told us yesterday that on your own world you use those terrible weapons you told us about. What use, then, can this fighting of yours be?"

"We do it for sport, Your Grace, and for exercising the mind and body. Nobody seriously expects to have to use those methods in a proper battle. However, the streets of our cities and towns can be as dangerous as those here so knowing how to defend yourself is always a good thing."

Visselen nodded understanding as Gilbanar asked, "You do this for fun, milady? Amazing."

She turned to him. "What do you do for fun, Your Grace? Archery? Sword-fights? Hunting? Wrestling? It's not really any different."

"As you say, milady."

"Well," Robanar said, "does that satisfy you all? I suggest you all think over what you have seen this morning. Perhaps we shall talk some more about it at this evening's meeting. Now, I think, it is time for Milady Garia to change into something more becoming a woman of her age."

~o~O~o~

"Oh," Dalenna said as Garia emerged into her sitting room, "I'd hoped you would still be wearing that removable skirt you had on. I want one of those!"

Garia had picked a day gown she had never worn before, and she was somewhat disconcerted by the tiering effect which made her look like a short flouncy cone. Her two visitors stood as she entered and came to hug her.

"Normally I would do, until lunch time," she told them, "but the King more or less told me to get changed, and so..."

"Best not to upset the King," Terissa said.

"Exactly," she replied. "Sit down, please. I wanted to ask you about the offer of marriage that Marlin apparently made yesterday."

"That!" Terissa said with emphasis. "The idiot took us all completely by surprise. Do you know, Garia, that he started acting strangely from the moment he first... encountered you?"

"We think he might be infatuated with you," Dalenna added. "He just sits there with this distant look in his eyes."

"Perhaps he is jealous of the attention Garia gets," Terissa said.

"No, not jealous, envious," Dalenna corrected. "He wants the attention on himself that others give to Garia."

"Well, he can have it for all I care," Garia said. "I never wanted any of this, it's just a consequence of circumstances, really. I came here by accident, and I just happen to know a lot more than people here do." She added in an undertone, "Leastways, I'm assuming I came here by accident."

The twins' eyes fixed on her. "What do you mean, came here by accident?" Dalenna asked.

Garia shrugged. "That's one of the big questions. I don't know why or how I got here, or even where here is. I don't even know if here is real or if I'm stuck inside my own head somehow. The point is, the situation is not of my own making, and I'm not trying to take advantage of it. I didn't set out to live in the palace, I didn't want to be made a baroness either. What do you think Marlin wanted to get out of this offer he made?"

"He wants to take advantage of your popularity," Terissa said. She giggled. "After this morning's display, he may have reconsidered."

"I think he wants to tame you, Garia," Dalenna said. The others looked at her in surprise. She continued, "Don't misunderstand me, he'll want to use your personality and abilities to further his own ends, but I also think he wants to calm you down, turn you into something that resembles a normal Valley woman. I don't think he likes the idea that girls and women can do what you have just demonstrated we certainly can do."

"You're right," added Terissa thoughtfully. "He's really quite traditional in his outlook. You heard him telling us the other day that he wanted to resist any changes you might bring us." She smirked. "It's just not going to work that way, of course, but that won't stop him from trying to hold back progress."

"Do you think he'll be a danger in the future?" Garia asked. "When he's Duke of Brikant, I mean?"

Terissa snorted. "If he lives long enough! And if Daddy nominates him to the succession." Garia raised an eyebrow, so she explained, "The succession in Brikant normally goes to the eldest male, as you might expect, but the reigning Duke has the power to nominate someone else if he disapproves of the way the heir is behaving." She frowned. "I don't think Palarand's succession works the same way, but then Keren is going to be fine as King, don't you think?"

"He certainly gets my vote," Garia agreed.

Terissa frowned. "What's a 'vote'?"

Garia opened her mouth and then closed it again. If she got started into elections they would be here all day, and it was nearly lunchtime. Instead she said, "When Keren becomes King, wouldn't either of you two wish to be his Queen? I would have thought that you would be perfect candidates to become his wife."

"Oh, no, that can't be!" exclaimed Dalenna. "There are accords... when Brikant agreed to become part of the Kingdom of Palarand, solemn accords were signed which governed who could reign in which part and who could marry whom. No-one from Brikant may marry anyone from Palarand, nor the opposite way round, because it might mean that a son or daughter from the other party has a claim on the throne or the dukedom. So neither of us can marry the Prince, but of course since you're not an actual daughter of the King and Queen those rules don't apply to you. That's doubtless why our dear idiot brother thought up his crazy idea."

"But it might be possible for one of us to marry Terinar, for example," Terissa added. "We'd probably have to renounce all claim to Brikant to do it, though."

Dalenna's eyes narrowed in thought. "No, that wouldn't work, because any children you might have would still have a claim." She turned to Garia and smiled. "There are complicated treaties holding all - or most, anyway - Valley countries together and it's a lifetime's study just working out who can do what with whom these days. Of course, it doesn't bother us since we're all used to it, but if you see anybody you fancy out there I'd suggest you check with the Chamberlain's office before you say anything you might regret." She stopped and looked at Garia. "What's the matter?"

Garia, flushed, had handfuls of her gown which she was trying to wrestle into submission.

"It's no good," she said, plainly irritated. "I can't wear this stupid thing any longer. Jenet! Come and help me find something else to wear, we've just time before lunch."

She stood and walked towards her bedroom, turning as she did so.

"I hope you don't mind, this gown seemed okay until I sat down for the first time. Come on in!" She managed a smile. "I don't have anything you haven't seen before."

They walked through into Garia's dressing room where Jenet began unlacing the gown at once. The twins - and their maids - crowded in and then began inspecting the rails, as any normal girl might on entering another's dressing room.

"I don't understand," Terissa said. "Surely you would have tried the gown out when your dressmaker made it? Did you not realize then it might be awkward to wear?"

"Oh, none of these are my own choice," Garia said as she wriggled clear. "Remember, I had no suitable clothing when I arrived and I wasn't exactly familiar with local fashions so all these were picked out of the palace wardrobe for me." Her expression changed when she remembered who had done the choosing. Yolda.

"All these are out of the palace store?" Dalenna asked. "I wondered, that gown you've just taken off is an older fashion, and designed for a younger girl. It seemed an unusual choice but then you're -" she reddened.

"- an unusual girl," Garia finished for her with a smile. "Well, I don't dispute that! Jenet, what can I put on?"

"This one, milady," Jenet said, holding up a selection. "It is very easy to put on, and you've worn it before."

As Jenet helped Garia into the gown Terissa held up a hanger from the back of the rail.

"Is this one of your exercise outfits, Garia?"

"Yes, it is. Tunic and skirt."

"Might we borrow them for the rest of today? I would like to sketch them out to take back with us, see if our dressmaker can make us some."

"By all means do," Garia said. "As long as I can have it back before -"

"There is another set there, milady."

"Oh. Good. Are we finished yet? Then we'd better be going, we'll be late for lunch."

~o~O~o~

The laboratory was crowded even with the restricted audience who had been permitted to view the demonstration. Robanar and Terys led the nobles, Gilbanar, Vivenne, Visselen and Prasard. At Garia's suggestion only Keren was present of the younger nobles, and that was because he was already intimately involved in the project. She had promised to hold a separate session for those others who might wish to see what all the excitement was about.

There were eight metalsmiths present, as well as five journeymen. In addition Master Glass-maker Hurdin was there standing beside Master Tanon, Master Scribe Pitchell and Mistress Margra, who had her basket of bandages and salves in case of any mishaps. On the bench in front of them, covered by a heavy canvas sheet, stood the steam engine. Guildmaster Parrel removed the cover and everyone leaned forward to look at the gleaming contraption which had been revealed.

"That looks complicated," Gilbanar remarked.

"It does, your Grace," Parrel told him, "but when you follow through the parts it becomes simple enough." He tapped the brass cylinder. "This we have filled with water, and the water will be heated by means of this tray underneath. Tarvan? If you would begin."

The tray held a packed layer of wool clippings which had been soaked in alcohol. Tarvan lit this and pushed it under the cylinder which was about a foot long and half that in diameter.

"The aim is to boil the water completely," Parrel continued, "just as you would boil water in a pot or kettle. You will notice that there is no way for the steam to escape from the cylinder, which we call the boiler. Now, if we were to let the steam continue to collect inside the boiler, I am assured that it would eventually split the metal with great force in an attempt to escape. This could cause injury, scalding or even death." Several of the onlookers took a step backward. "I am told this event is called an explosion, and I am not looking forward to experiencing one. Mistress, I beg your pardon, Milady Garia insisted that I build a special release device into the top of the boiler to prevent such an explosion happening." He tapped a device soldered to the top of the boiler. "This is called a safety valve, and when the pressure becomes too great steam will come out without destroying the boiler."

"Of course," he continued, "we want to make use of the steam which is produced, so we send it along this tube here, and down into this arrangement of valves here. Don't concern yourself about the details, Your Majesty, but in essence the steam is sent into one end of this long tube which is called simply the cylinder. Inside the cylinder is a movable part called the piston which the steam will push along. Once the piston gets so far it will uncover a hole where the steam may escape. The piston as you can see is connected to this wheel, which will begin turning. As the wheel turns it will push the piston back into the cylinder, and then the whole thing will begin again."

"This is all done just with steam?" Gilbanar asked.

"It is, Your Grace. At first we did not understand the power which Milady Garia said would be released, but now we have seen it in action we fully understand." Parrel smiled. "This is our third model, Your Grace. We have learned much."

"What's happening?" asked Count Prasard. "I don't see anything much going on."

"We have to wait for the water to boil, My Lord," Parrel said. "In a working machine, we would have a much bigger, hotter fire to assist the boiling process."

Gilbanar suddenly acquired a thoughtful look, then his eyes flicked to meet Garia's and he smiled at her.

Coal! Looks like Gilbanar has figured out why it's about to become popular.

It took a while for the water, plus of course the metal parts of the engine, to heat to boiling point. Some of the audience began fidgeting, others admired the shiny brass engine the metalsmiths had produced. Suddenly there was a pssssh and almost everyone jumped back.

"Your Highnesses, My Lords and Ladies, Masters and Mistresses, we are ready to begin. That was the steam forcing it's way past the spring of the safety valve, and that tells us that there is enough steam for us to continue. Tarvan, if you would?"

Tarvan pushed a long brass rod which stuck out of one end of the valve assembly, a cloth preventing him from burning himself.

Chiff.

Everybody jumped back again at the sudden noise. The wheel had turned slightly and then frozen.

"Master, the controlling rod has bent again," Tarvan reported. He leaned over and applied pliers to the engine, and then straightened.

Chiff... chiff... chiff... chiff, chiff, chiff, chiff chiff chiff chiffchiffchiffchiffchiff...

The wheel began to turn with increasing speed. Everybody watched, fascinated, as the steam came out of the exhaust holes in little puffs as the piston sped in and out. Soon the noise became a high-pitched continuous whistle as the engine reached operating speed. After a short while Tarvan tugged the control rod to slow the engine down as he proved that the speed of the engine was controllable.

"Fascinating," Gilbanar said. "Milady Garia, you have a very peculiar mind to have something like that inside it."

"Not at all, Your Grace," she replied. "I was a boy there, remember, and this type of engine is so old and easy to make almost every boy could describe how one works."

"As you say, milady. Tell me, is this of practical use to us? Master Parrel speaks of models. Should a working engine be of a much larger size?"

Gilbanar's eyes flickered up and down as if he was estimating what size a production engine might be.

"Absolutely, Your Grace. This engine is strong enough, with appropriate gearing, to lift someone of your own weight off the floor. Or it could be mounted on a small frame with wheels and pull many times it's own weight along the ground. It can power one of Master Parrel's metalworking lathes. In practice, the engines don't need to be too large. As you make the boiler larger, the metal needed to keep the steam in has to become immensely strong in proportion. On Earth, an engine with a boiler about the height of a man, and maybe ten or fifteen strides long, when properly mounted and engineered, can pull a train of wagons weighing thousands of tons for hundreds of marks. The same engine can pull a train with enough carriages for several hundred passengers the same distance, and at speeds of well over a hundred marks per bell."

Gilbanar shook his head. "You keep talking in these big numbers, milady, and I keep thinking that you must be exaggerating. But you aren't, are you?"

"No, Your Grace," she said with a smile. "I really am not exaggerating. But transport is only one way to use an engine such as this."

She described to them how steam engines had first been used at the beginning of the industrial revolution, as pumps to take water out of mines or fields, as power plants for cotton or woolen mills or machine shops or cranes. Several were nodding heads as they thought through what she was telling them.

"I notice a weakness, milady," Visselen said. "Surely, the engine depends on the water within to make steam from." She nodded. "Then, as any kettle or pot may boil dry, it must follow that the engine can only run until all the water has been used up."

Garia grinned, as did most of the metalsmiths. She replied, "Your Grace, for this model, what you say is correct. However, there are ways of adding fresh water to a boiler, even against the pressure in the boiler. The smiths just didn't bother adding that complexity to this model, it wouldn't have been worth the effort."

Visselen bowed. "Then, milady, I withdraw my objection. This is a wondrous device you place before us."

Count Prasard had a question. "Milady, you speak of wheeled vehicles. Is it possible for these steam mechanisms to make a difference to the navigation of ships? I can see how you might replace a frayen or a dranakh at the front of a wagon or a carriage, but might one somehow replace sails?"

Garia thought a moment, then replied, "Try and think not of replacing sails, My Lord, but of replacing oars. You use treadmills? Imagine a treadmill-sized wheel, but instead of walking boards replace them with flat paddle blades sticking out all round. That wheel, which is fixed outside the ship, is connected to a steam engine which is inside the ship. As the wheel turns, the ship moves forward. It's really like the wheel of a water-mill, only you're using the wheel to move the water rather than the other way round. No need for sails, no need to worry about which way the wind is blowing either."

There were open mouths all round. For a society which lived and died along a major river which defined their relationship to the rest of their world, Garia had just changed everything. If they had overlooked the potential that she possessed, that was no longer true.

"Milady," a pale Gilbanar asked, "Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are telling us that a steam engine may be placed on a boat or a ship to make it move, and that if this were so, then you would no longer require the use of sails, or indeed oars. Is this so?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying, Your Grace."

"Then... that would mean that the sailors would no longer care which way the wind blew, wouldn't it? And that any ship might sail... I mean depart, at any time, in any direction, without having to take notice of the weather at all?"

"In principle, Your Grace. I imagine one would still have to take note of tides or storms, but yes, that is what will happen."

"Maker!" Gilbanar shook his head again. "Steam engines were bad enough, but this..."

"Milady," Tanon said to her, "The windings of the Sirrel around Palarand are such that a ship which travels upriver will take an entire day to just pass around our country. This is because it will face in every direction during the passage, and with almost any wind requires laborious tracking back and forth to make progress. A ship moved by means of a steam engine would reduce the passage time by many bells. This invention of yours will make an immense difference to trade."

"We have the canals cut to shorten the passage," Robanar reminded them. "If all ships have steam engines, will we lose revenue because the canals will no longer be needed?"

"I don't think so, Sire," Garia replied. "Although a ship won't be dependent on the wind any longer, it will still take time to travel round the river, and the canal route will always be shorter. A steam-powered ship will be using fuel, of course, and going the long way round will use more fuel. And cost more."

"As you say, milady. Well," Robanar added with a smile, "as always when hearing what Milady Garia has to tell us, we have been given much to think about. I think it is time for us to leave our esteemed guild members to clean up this demonstration, and we must thank them all for providing such an interesting afternoon. Those of you who are attending tonight's meeting, we can discuss further what we have witnessed today."

~o~O~o~

"As agreed," Parrel said, "we will leave the model in the laboratory for several days, in order to allow further demonstrations. My assistant Tarvan will come to the palace and make those changes I mentioned previously, to overcome the problem we had at the beginning. He says that the furnace in the room will be perfectly adequate for his use, and he will bring the tools he needs with him. He is also happy to operate the engine for those other demonstrations. Hurdin, we'll need to speak to you about a piece of glassware Milady Garia says we will need for the next model."

"Glassware, Parrel?" Hurdin asked. "Your machine is all brass, isn't it? I'm not sure how glass would fit into the device."

"Something called a 'sight glass', she calls it." Parrel smiled at Hurdin. "It won't be a problem, I assure you. And the next engine will be made from wrought iron and steel, not brass. It's fairly obvious that soldering the parts together isn't going to be strong enough for a full-sized engine."

"Parrel," Gilbanar frowned at him, "as I understand the import of this evening's meeting, it seems to me that most of your new furnaces, forges, what-you-call-them..."

"Steel works, Your Grace," Garia supplied.

"Steel works, yes, thank you, milady. Most of these will be situated within Northern Palarand, will they not? That is where our mines are, you'll not want to transport your materials far before using them, surely?"

Parrel inclined his head. "That is our thinking, Your Grace."

"Then we will be the first to face the changes these new methods will bring. And the costs."

Tanon cleared his throat. "Your Grace, also the first to become wealthy as the production of materials increases. I feel faint whenever I consider the increase in commerce and trade which will inevitably happen because of these improvements."

Gilbanar looked startled. "As you say, Tanon," he slowly agreed. "I had not considered that aspect of the matter." He had another thought. "With all these thousands, millions of tons of iron and steel that are anticipated, the state of our roads will soon become ruinous. We will have to spend some of this new-earned wealth strengthening them."

"There are other ways of moving the materials, Your Grace," Garia said.

"Ah, those canals, you mentioned," Tanon said. "That would seem to be the solution, although canals will not be suitable everywhere within the country."

"There is another way," Garia said, "although it will properly need a separate meeting for me to give you all the details I remember." Everybody looked up at her, since it was clear she was about to mention yet something else new.

"You can keep all the heavy traffic off the roads completely, by means of something we call a railroad," she explained. "This can run alongside a road or on a completely different route. Basically you use special vehicles which travel along steel rails. The steel rails guide the wagons or carriages so they don't need to be steered, and steel wheels on steel rails means loads can be moved with surprising ease. Obviously the rails have to go from one end of the route to the other, so you would need to be producing quantities of steel before you could start making railroads anywhere."

"There's no-one here from any of the mining guilds," Parrel said into the silence, "but I seem to recall they use such wagons inside the mines to move the spoil. They don't have steel rails, though rather rails of wood."

"That sounds about right, Master Parrel," Garia said. "What I'm describing is almost the same system, only scaled up. As I said, it will take some time before you can begin laying track, but it will be worth thinking about from the planning point of view."

"How far can these... steel roads of yours go, milady?" Tanon asked.

"As far as you like, Master Tanon. In my country, the rails went across the entire continent. That would be, um, six thousand marks or more."

"But what moves these wagons, milady?" Visselen asked. "Dranakh?"

She gave him a smile. "You saw a demonstration today, Your Grace. Steam engines."

"Ah!" A light dawned in Gilbanar's eyes. "Now I begin to understand your remarks earlier today. You were speaking about these roads of steel, yes?"

"That's right, Your Grace. Railroads can be of use over much shorter distances as well, of course."

He nodded. "I would like to learn more, milady, but I fear the topic will have to wait." He turned to Robanar. "Brother, we must leave for home tomorrow. I have already given instructions for the servants to begin packing our baggage. I dare not leave it any longer. Much though I would wish to stay and learn more of these amazing subjects, I have a province to run and we must go before the rains, or we will be stuck this side of the river for months."

"Of course, Gil. We'll be sorry to see you go, and we intend to visit you all after the rains have ceased. In fact, I think it might be a good idea if all the council comes to North Palarand at that time, considering that will be where much of the heavy work will take place."

The Guildmasters all nodded, and a provisional meeting was arranged.

"It is a pity," mused Tanon, "that we could not erect our first semaphore towers before the rains began. We had intended that the first pair would be set up at North Slip and South Slip, and with the aid of Master Hurdin's telescopes we could have communicated across the Sirrel even when it were not possible to cross." He shrugged. "Of course, we could not send sealed packets that way, but any open message, even a coded one, could be easily passed. Your Grace, if such a method had been installed, then you might have been able to keep in touch even if it had not been possible to cross the river."

"As you say, Tanon," Gilbanar said. "I had not considered such a thing to be possible. Since the dawn of history the Sirrel has been impassable during and after the rains, and that was that. To be able to send messages despite that, will be a wonderful thing."

~o~O~o~

"Jenet, are you sure about that date?"

"Which date, milady? Oh, you mean the call of Kalikan? Yes, of course, it is always the same day each month." The maid hesitated. "Have you been having signs, milady?"

"Some," Garia admitted. "And not very strong, but after what happened the last time I've sort of been keeping a watch on myself. My breasts are definitely more tender today, and this morning's fun didn't help at all. Then there was Marlin. My temper is definitely shorter today."

"Of course," Jenet mused, "you were not born here on Anmar, your body is from somewhere else entirely. Perhaps your days will be different than ours are."

Garia grimaced. "That's all I needed."

But not really so surprising, is it? If I look in the mirror I see someone who could have been my sister, which implies that my - Gary's - DNA was used in making this body for me. Which means that I could be working to Earth rhythms. Hmm. At least I'm forewarned. And I may adapt to the local rhythm in time.

"I could be on an Earth schedule," she said aloud. "That means twenty-eight to twenty-nine days, I guess, but it could be longer or shorter."

"Then I'll make sure we have everything we need, should the call come unexpectedly," Jenet said.

"As you say, Jenet."

Her eyes narrowed as she remembered the morning's other incident. "When we next have some free time, I want to go through my gowns. I'm beginning to have a better idea what I like and what I don't, and I think my ideas are different than Mistress Yolda's ideas about what a girl wears around the palace."

"We may have some time once the visitors leave, milady. It is far too busy to contemplate such matters at the moment."

Garia sighed. "As you say, Jenet. As you say."

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah. An industrial revolution.

I hope Garia will use this industrial revolution to advance womens' prospecrts.

We must never forget, when the first ape dropped out of the first tree to stick the first fashioned twig into the first termite hole to extract those extra termites to feed the fretting youngster at her side, she became the first toolmaker ... the first engineer.

So when did it all change and who decreed that women could not be engineers.

However when the first strong male ape saw the female feeding her baby that ape most probably snatched the twig from the mothers' grasp to copy her and fill his own belly.

That ape became the first thief by stealing the mother apes' property.

Garia is going to bring a lot of changes, let's hope she realises equality for all.

Some things never change.

Woman the creator ... man the thief!

Good story Penny.

XZXX.

Beverly.

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

To the Revolution, sisters

Well, we all know that the first mills didn't employ many men, they were all women and children. Probably wouldn't have happened without them. Of course, being women and children the mill-owners could pay them less...

At the time the men were off fighting Napoleon's lot, actually. Thinking about it, that might have tipped the balance, thus setting a precedent we still haven't overcome.

Ah, well. The first 10,000 years are the worst.

Penny

Brikant

Although Garia's changes will probably be felt most keenly in Palarand, changes in Brikant probably won't be too far off, especially in one household, where the son is likely to find his assumed dominance threatened by his two sisters :D

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if, once the rainy season passes, they will try and find some means of learning martial arts themselves.

Meanwhile, with the latest technical demonstrations, the rainy season could provide an opportunity not only for the guilds on the other side of the river to refine the various technologies Garia's introduced them to, but perhaps also to start thinking of novel uses for them. Hopefully Garia's talks are not only encouraging them to think of new technologies, but also to think of applying a technology across multiple contexts - to use a bit of management speak, thinking outside the boxes of their own world / craft experiences.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It was more likely that the

It was more likely that the male tried the ants first, to make sure that they were safe. Men have been guinea pigs next to forever - it only takes one male to breed with multiple females, but the opposite isn't true :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yea!!!

A new chapter of SEE, YEA!!! I was about to go into the DT's Penny. lol I always look to see if you've posted a new chapter first thing in the mornings! Thanks once again for taking of your time and talent to keep us all entertained!!

Apologies

It's been a really tough couple of weeks for me, for a number of different reasons.

Bad health, shopping for a wedding outfit (not for me, regrettably), plumbers, a power cut that meant I spent all Tuesday afternoon trying to find out why my network didn't, meh.

I'm sorry you've all had to wait so long. I had about 6,000 words of this written a week ago, but just couldn't manage to get it finished then.

Don't worry, they will come, just not sure exactly when :P

Penny

My day is good

A new installment of Somewhere Else :)
I love to see what all those changes mentioned in this chapter are going to do, but I guess it's going to take some time before they'll become evident. All in all it's remarkable what got done in so little time so far.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Garia and women's prospects.

Garia can do nothing but fulfill the wishes of those who sent her. In many ways her mission is to bring change and along with that change, she will introduce chaos and unrest.

Last night my roomate and I were talking about men, and I related a painful incident where I had been talking to an Algerian man on skype where he'd asked me to remove my clothes. I thought that was pretty awful and have not talked to the boor since.

My roomate's next comment was a surprise to me because she said, American men are just as bad. She said the reason she does not date much is due to the fact that the first thing that guys want is to poke you. And while I know that I will not win the argument in the 21st century, I still think women in the military is a bad idea.

So, poor Garia with all her good intentions is starting a fire under a huge pot.

Lady Gwendolyn

Looks like Garia set MArlin

Looks like Garia set MArlin back on his heels a bit. I'm wondering what of the ideas that Garia has given out will wind up causing big and dangerous problems for Palarand and the surrounding regions?
I did find it interesting that no-one asked Garia what she meant by the term air force, as that would be a totally foreign concept to them.

Army, Navy, Air Force

There was a discussion the previous evening I didn't chronicle in detail, where Garia told the bigwigs all about 20th/21st century Earth and how we fight each other (amongst other things).

The concept of the 'Air Force' would have been described there. The locals probably still have little idea exactly how that would work out in practice, but they know it probably wouldn't be too nice.

At this stage in development I would expect most of the nations on Alaesia to have no standing armies but more a core of Guardsmen who would train and equip local militias if anything nasty threatened. This was more or less the status in Europe right up to the Napoleonic Wars.

Any Navy would be more in the nature of an anti-pirate patrol at sea, or a 'Coastguard' type operation up the main rivers. The river Sirrel is a complex example of this. Think of it a bit like the Rhine or Danube, flowing through or forming the borders of many small nations. Policing such a river is going to be an awkward business.

Penny

Not so much - in general,

Not so much - in general, the rivers were policed by those impacted by the river. The people that built the bridges enforced the tolls, for example - even if it bridged two different countries, only one charged tolls - it was just self interest. If you charged a toll, you policed the river - the only way they (pirates) could get AWAY from you is by beaching their boat and running; just about as good, as you then burned the boat, or seized it. Boats bigger than a rowboat weren't cheap.

What I'm concerned about is two pronged. One, miners. My mother is from West Virginia, and even though not from a mining family, they were all over the place. Firedamp, afterdamp, ventilation, pumps... Unless VERY careful, it could turn into a "Oh, that mine over there? Cost 250 lives, but we got 4,000 tons of coal out of it!". Two, pollution. Coal dust, in and of itself, isn't terribly toxic, but the effects in the lungs can be horrible. Burned coal or coke also leaves soot everywhere.

One way to reduce pollution would be to coke the coal near the mine, then ship coke. (You don't have to know exact methods to know that putting coal under heat reduces the coal to coke. You'd just have to play with it to figure out how to get something really useful). Coke is much cleaner than coal, and weighs a lot less.

Oh - one thing that would probably have a big impact, even without coal, would be the Franklin stove. It depends on how cold areas get. As they have a rainy season, I'm assuming they don't really have 'winter' as such.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Mining

Anecdotal evidence suggests there's a fairly wide seam very close to the surface, so they could probably start out with open cast mining. If they stood downwind of the bit they're working on, inhaling coal dust wouldn't be so much of a problem. Needless to say, if they started producing coke, it would make sense to put the ovens at the far downwind end of the site (and since volatile products will be given off anyway, use reject coal to fuel the ovens).

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

As You Say

terrynaut's picture

I'll take 'em when I can get 'em. Each and every chapter is a gem. This story is still my current favorite.

I like how Garia handled Marlin. Talking to his twin sisters made a lot of sense.

The martial arts demonstration was great fun. I love the effect it had on Marlin.

Please keep up the good work as you can. I'll be sure to read.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I just love railroads!

As a kid I had a large model railroad with timetables, sigals etc. Garia will have her hands full teaching people in Palarand about signals, switches etc. One must also remember that the early basic models of steam engines didn't do too well on steep hills (you had to build a railroad that went up gradually - in curves). And what about steam turbines? Oh I can see many chapters just about railroads...

And I wonder do they have lighthouses? I mean this is an invention way older than steampower. As for the canals they could build powerfull dredges to make the canals wider and deeper...

As for the women's lib - I wonder how many of the men are really like Marlin - afraid of the changes... I do hope they won't try to harm Garia.

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Somewhere Else Entirely -37-

How long until the planet's technology is equivalent to modern Earth's?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

With a kick start? Could be

With a kick start? Could be as little as forty years. However, it's unlikely to be anywhere near that short, simply because of cultural inertia. To go from a similar feudal mindset to a more accepting one for technology took approximately 150 years in Europe/America, and much of that was _because_ of "the new world".


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Another Place Entirely

joannebarbarella's picture

Although the vibe is completely different some aspects of this story remind me of "The Ring Of Fire" stories, a universe created by Eric Flint where modern Americans are transported back to Middle Europe in 1632 and the ensuing changes that they introduce, not only in technology, but politics and social attitudes.

In this masterpiece Garia has a much more difficult scenario because she is only one person and therefore has much less control of what her changes will lead to. That should give us another hundred or so chapters of this tale!

Go! Penny !

Joanne

This is addictive!

I confess, I think I have become an addict! I truly enjoy this story, and I look forward to each new chapter. I can never predict just what will happen in each new chapter-which is just the way I like it! Well done!

Wren

My name is Lora, and I'm a S.E.E. addict.

I have to agree with Wren's comment. I've found myself addicted to this tale for days now. Absolutely wonderful writing, Penny.

Keren

I want Keren and Garia to be together all ready.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Changing minds

Jamie Lee's picture

Marlin bragged to Keren about his marrying Garia, until he saw the demonstration. Marlin doesn't realize that Garia is not a young lady he can work to his will or get her cloistered as he'd want. And should he try to force her, he'd get his head handed to him.

While the ideas Garia has freely given have been happily received, the idea of women doing much the same as men might cause one mell of a hess. As was seen on Earth, men did not take kindly to women working in the first place, and going into fields where men only worked.

But, a young woman is providing ideas never thought of before. A young woman is teaching a form of fighting never heard of before. By what Garia is doing she is proving what a woman can do with proper knowledge.

That steam engine went over big time, giving those there possibilities never known before. And yet, for the ideas proposed by Garia to work a number of things will have to be developed. Such is the sight glass Hurdan mentioned, which became part of a steam engine so water level could be monitored.

Others have feelings too.

Change...

Seems imminent, does it not? Garia is a harbinger of many things apparently. And yes she certainly settled Marlin's hash (at least to a degree) time will tell if the lesson sticks!

Since batteries are....

Aine Sabine's picture

Relatively easy to make, I won't be surprised if the telegraph doesn't make an appearance real soon. The early batteries were chemical ones.

Wil

Aine