Drea and the Closet

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Permission: 

"I don't believe you!" Edmund said with a snort. Drea looked at Susan and Peter; both just shrugged their shoulders before Peter added,

"Now don't tease Andrea that way. Maybe she's just found a nice way to play to wile away the boredom!"

"Nonsense," Susan snapped. "She's always off crying somewhere. I just don't understand. At least come and play our games, Andrea. You needn't be such a spoil-sport."

"But it's real. I met so many wonderful people there." Drea put her head down and would have sobbed but for the gentle hand that squeezed her shoulder.

"There, there, child. I believe you."

Drea looked up and saw the most pleasant face she had ever beheld. Not Mrs. Macready or even Professor Kirke, but a kindly looking woman who seemed to embody every fairy tale queen or enchantress of whom she had ever dreamed or imagined.

"You...you're here with me...out of the Closet...in the open where they can see?"

"No, child; that is my realm in the wardrobe you call a closet...a place of refuge and safety. They cannot see who refuse to look, dear. But there are many there who understand and accept you for who you are, even if your family does not. In time, perhaps, your siblings will come to know that place and the real you. But be encouraged for at least a time." The woman leaned closer as she bowed her head and kissed Drea on the cheek; her lips taking away the girl's tears. She then gently kissed the girl's forehead in blessing.

"I would have died but for the care I received from your subjects; the folks of gentle spirit who helped me and loved me when I needed it the most." Drea sighed a gentle and contented sigh.

"I am in all of your sisters, and they in me, and I love you. Be at peace even as you join me for a little while in my kingdom." The girl nodded eagerly, her tears replaced with a glow and smile as the woman led her into the closet, where she found fellowship and friendship and care, if only for a little while. She hoped, as all who enter the closet, that when she once again emerged into her own world, that the acceptance she had received would carry over. She prayed that one day all of her sisters and brothers would know the love and the care of the lady's world in their own. But for that moment, the Closet would more than suffice. And she bowed deeply and thanked the lady.

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Once Again

littlerocksilver's picture

... your imagination amazes me.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Drea = Aesop

Many people regard the closet as an undesirable place to be. But some recognize its value.

Indeed, it's a place of prayer…

After all, Jesus did tell us:

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Matthew 6:6 (KJV)

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

in my closet

Andrea, this story is sad and happy at the same time ,I get all emotional reading some of your stories ,this one is one of them .

Thanks Andrea Hugs Roo

ROO

I do hope the lady was more

KristineRead's picture

I do hope the lady was more Aslan, then the Witch!

I too am delighted to share this Closet and find much comfort in the kindred sisters that I have found here.

Hugs, and more Hugs

Kristy

Thank you 'Drea,

ALISON

'and it is just such a lovely place to be,another masterpiece,'Drea.

ALISON

The Closet

Once again you have put into words that which we mere mortals can only partly think.To live and dream in the Closet is sufficient for most of us to maintain sanity and hope.Thank you.

devonmalc

Even the boy...

Even the boy who in the end took care of Tom Riddle spent his time in the closet. It was actually a place of safety for him. He got his letter, though help, and was off to Hogwarts school, and his life was never the same. No, there's no letter, or Hogwarts for us. But, sometimes, we do get to move out of that closet and come out into the world.

Thank you for this,
Anne