The Hero Part 12

Printer-friendly version


The Hero

by

Jacquimac

Part Twelve


The following day the meeting re-convened except this time there was only Rodger, John Stewart and Dr Wells present,

" We actually called this meeting after Dr Wells informed us that you and James`s mother intend to take the child out of the country as a surprise for his Birthday, like I said yesterday we owe Brian big time and have decided to provide you with additional help and security. Oh we know all about Moriarty being hired and will work along side them, but I must tell you that there is interest in boy from the highest level, and I don`t mean God" said Stewart

"The health of the boy worries me and it is of paramount importance that he given the best care possible, that`s why I contacted the intelligence agencies" Said Wells

"Something is happening to that child and we need to keep a check on him, what it is I have no idea as yet and by the way I have full agreement of Dr Graves on this" he continued

" So why all the secrecy ?" asked Rodger " Surely you could have made arrangements with Elizabeth about his health care after all you had agree that her two nurses accompany us on the trip " He continued

"NO! The Mother must not know of our involvement, Brian asked you to keep his secret from them and we will do the same " stated Stewart " Look Brian was top in his field in bio-chemistry and some of the stuff he discovered is still baffling the scientific community yet, we will be seeing Brian later today and will inform him of our meeting and that we had your meeting bugged, he`ll understand I`m sure when he knows all the facts " said Stewart

The following afternoon Rodger arrived back at the house he knew he was under surveilance and the house would be bugged as well, so he would have to be careful what he said to Elizabeth and James. The cover story he had was that he had met his partner to discuss another case in the files and that it had been resolved, he knew he wouldn`t need to go into any details.

When Rodger arrived at the house he was surprised to find it empty then he remembered that Elizabeth was working a late shift at the hospital this week and James was most probably at the hospital for more physiotherapy.

It was hard for James being so restricted and reliant on others to get out of the house, although he wasn`t as active as most children his age he loved going to the park with a book or going for a long walk and even these were rare pleasures now. Rodger couldn`t wait to see James`s little face when he was told he was going to DisneyLand Paris, what little boy or girl wouldn`t like to go there and Rodger knew special concessions were being put in place to ensure that James really had a good time.

On the day of departure for France James still hadn`t been told they were waiting until they were on EuroStar and under the English Channel before they sprang the surprise on him, The Party consisted of seven of them now, Rodger, Elizabeth and James along with Milly, Jean, Gerry and Milly`s daughter Annabel. Gerry now fit to drive and Annabel was there mainly because of Milly`s presence but also to give James a bit of company from someone his own age. The Security Detail was nowhere to seen but were close by keeping an eye on them and they also had the carriage to themselves, a small staff was assigned to the carriage under the guise of caterers these were from British Intelligence and had made themselves known to Rodger when he was at the station office collecting the tickets the day before.

The train left on time and as they started downhill into the Channel Tunnel they told James and Annabel were they were headed, the surprised shock on the childrens faces made the adults very happy, they were going on the trip all children dreamed off, after a while the children calmed down and played together or looked out the window as the walls of tunnel flew passed and before long they pulling into the Paris Gare du Nord railway station.
On leaving the train they were whisked away to waiting cars and taken to a country house owned by the British Embassy as a country retreat for the embassy staff but primarily used by the Ambassador. It didn`t take long for them to be shown their rooms and get settled before a meal was ready for them, the children especially James were tired after the long journey and were put to bed for a good nights sleep.
At the crack of dawn the children were anxious to be up about and Annabel helped James to get ready, as they left their rooms the were met by one of the staff and shown to the breakfast room. No one had expected them to waken up so early at 6am and they adults were soon up, even Rodger was offended by the childrens show of energy so early in the day but didn`t say anything, he was just glad that the children were enjoying themselves.

Rodger went to see the security chief while the children and adults prepared for the day, James would take the longest to get ready as the nurses checked him over.
The chief assured Rodger that everything was in place and that the group should just go and enjoy themselves.

At 9am on the dot they departed for the day at Disneyland, both children had made a list of what rides they wanted to go on but James was told that he might not be able to go some off them, grudgingly he accepted his limitations and made the best off the day. The embassy had spoken to the management of disney and explained about James limitations and they managed in the end to get him on most of rides he liked although they had to cut to speed of some of them.

The day ended and the children were once again tired out, but not sleepy for which the adults were grateful, they planned to keep the children up a little later than usual so they would stay in bed until a later time in the morning. Unfortunately they failed to reckon with the childrens zeal and energy and the following morning they were up before everuone else again.
Day two was spend visiting Paris, the Eiffel Tower ,Champs Elysees, Arc Du Triomphe, Louvre and the other Parisian sights as part of their education, like Rodger said it might be the only chance they get to see such places and the other adults agreed. At least it would be a slower more relaxed day but the children were disappointed when they saw the famous Notre Dame Cathedral, oh it was a beautiful building they both agreed but after seeing the film the "Hunchback of Notre Dame " they both commented on how it looked in real life, they had expected it to huge until it was explained that the film wasn`t made in France but in hollywood using specially but sets that made it look bigger than it was.

Day three they spent at the country house even the children were feeling tired for which the adult were grateful, about mid morning the Ambassador visited and met with the children, he told James he had heard of his exploits and was proud to know such a fine little boy, James blushed and Elizabeth glowed with pride at her young son. The Ambassador told them that they were to attend a dinner he was having at the Embassy and that clothing would be provided for them, this caught everyone unawares and James was embarressed. The Ambassador asked James what the problem was and James told him he didn`t want to attend a fancy party wearing a dress in front of important people.

The Ambassador took hold af James wheelchair and walked away from everyone.
"James I have no wish to cause you any embarressment and I promise you that no one will make fun off you, everyone knows you were severely injured and almost killed twice. These people as you say are important but they have asked to meet you, I have explained about injuries and that for a while you have to wear a dress but they don`t mind, they want to honour you in their way, It doesn`t matter what you wear as long as you hold your head up and be proud of what you did."

They walked in silence for a while and eventually James agreed to attend the dinner.

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Hero Part 12

Still wondering why so many are interested in James.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm just guessing

NoraAdrienne's picture

That it's the anomaly that is growing inside of him that is causing all this uproar.

I disagree

He got a lot of press for his rescue of the younger children and the price he paid. And the fact that he survived the horrific injuries. Like Harry Potter, he is "The boy who survived". And as such, he has become a (probably temporary) living symbol of good vs evil, of doing the right thing, and responding to terrorism. That sort of thing happens from time to time in RL - think about "Captain Sully".

The reaction is more intense due to his age and injuries.

The non-public fuss is another matter. That is apparently a combination of who he is related to and the anomaly.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.