A Father’s sorrow

Printer-friendly version

It’s a cold rainy December day, a woman in a long black parka and jeans slowly makes her way through the cemetery.

She walks a few more minutes before seeing the stone she has come to visit, as she walks she hears something that is all to common in a cemetery.

She looks over and sees a very muscular man kneeling on both knees next to a grave by the one she had come to visit.

As she got closer she couldn’t help but hear the large man talking out loud.

“Why?
“Why did I say all those things to you”?
“All the horrible things that came out of my mouth that night”.

“I just wish I could have the chance to tell you how sorry I truly am”.

“That night, all you wanted was my acceptance and love”.

“But instead of being a real farther and giving you the love I should have I turned you away”.

“All I saw you as was a disgrace a freak that couldn’t possibly have been of my flesh and blood”.

“But now that I think about it, I know now that it must have taken more courage to admit to me how you truly felt then I could ever have”.

“I was such a fool and I should have seen it all along, the way you were always softer then the other boys”.

“When I first saw the true you that night I didn’t realize it was you, you were so beautiful I don’t know how I ever confused you with a boy”.

“But me and my stupid ego wouldn’t let me see that” I am so ashamed of the fact that all I saw was a stupid boy in a dress”.

“If only I could take back the things I said about you, I just hope you can forgive me even though I don’t deserve it.

The woman inched closer and stepped on a stick.
The man looked up and quickly wiped the tears away from his eyes.

“Oh I didn’t see you there” the man said.
“I was just about to leave” he said as he went to stand up.

“Its ok” the woman said as she walked over to the man.

The man was tall standing at least six feet five, he was very muscular and could pull off the burly lumber jack look perfectly with the red and black flannel jacket, blue jeans and muddy work boots he was wearing.

The woman walked over to the grave next too the one the man had been crying over and set the flowers in her hands in front of the stone that read.

“ PFC. Danny J. Colton. 1947-1965”.
Below that was the symbol for the United states Army.

“He was my big brother” the woman said while looking at the stone.

“I never really knew him as he was killed in the jungles of Vietnam when I was two years old”.
“But still out of all my brothers and sisters I’m about the only who ever comes and visits him”.

The woman looks at the stone the large man was staring at and read the name.

“Amber jaded stone. 1989-2004”.

“Amber is a very pretty name” she said.
“She was a very pretty girl” the man said while trying not to cry again.

“Would you like to talk”?
“I’ve heard it helps”.

“My name is Susan” she said as she held out her hand.
“Mark” the man replied as he gently took her hand.

“If you don’t want to talk about it that’s fine but I kind of over heard what you said”.

The man smiled a sad sorrowful smile as the rain fell upon his face.

“Its my fault she’s in this place” Mark said.
“The last time I ever saw her was the first time I had ever laid eyes on her”.

“What do you mean” Susan asked.
“My wife died while giving birth, that’s her grave over there” he said while pointing at the grave next to Amber’s.

“My son was the only family I had, he was always different from other boys, he never was in to sports or other things boys his age were into“.

“Instead he would clean the house or cook and read”.

“I was always trying to toughen him up but he was just to soft”

“That day was his sixteenth birthday, and unlike most days where the lumber yard had me working late I had got off early”.

“I got home and climbed over the box with my cars new break pads in it and said I would put them on in the morning”.

“I had been meaning to do it but just couldn’t find the time”.

“I walked in and there was this pretty girl humming a tune and sitting the dining room table up for supper”.
“I thought it was maybe a friend of Austin’s but then she turned around”.

“It was my son but.. He was so pretty it shocked me” , “ he was wearing this blue dress and had his hair in one of those hair band things that pulled it back so you could see his eyes”.

“I asked what the hell he was doing dressed like that”.

“He smiled and told me it was the real him”
Mark started tearing up.
“The things I said and yelled at her I cant dare repeat”.

“The look on her face when she ran out the door still haunts my dreams, she jumped in the car and took off”.

“The only thing going through my mind was how embarrassed I would be if any of my friends and coworkers found out”.

“If I would have known that would be the last time I saw her, I would have done so many things different”.

“If I never said those things she wouldn’t have left, we would have eaten the dinner she cooked and I would have given her the new book I had bought her”.

“How did it happen, if you don’t mind me asking”?
“It was the breaks”.
“They gave out as she came to a stop sign“.

“The doctor’s said she most likely didn’t feel when the truck hit her”.

Mark fell to his knees and hugged the grave and Susan knelt down and gently hugged him.

“It’s all my fault”
“If I wouldn’t have been so lazy and changed the brakes, if I wouldn’t have been such a closed minded person”.

“My baby girl would still be with me”

Mark didn’t care who saw as he let the tears flow, he cried and cried and Susan never left his side.

She felt so sorry for this large man who was kneeling beside her crying out years of sorrow and regret.

“Would you like to grab some coffee and talk some more”? she asked.

“I would like that” mark said as he came to his feet.
The two made their way to a nearby coffee shop and talked for a long time.

They seemed to connect very well, Susan told of her two girls and her son who were in collage. And of her recent divorce.

Before they left mark asked while blushing a little through his bushy beard if Susan would maybe like to go out sometime.

Susan smiled and wrote down her number, they said goodbye and went there separate ways.

As Susan walked back toward her apartment, she saw something, a young girl with a strange light surrounding her stood on the side walk smiling at her, the girl was almost thirty feet away but Susan heard the words “Thank you” So clear it was as if the girl was standing right next to her.

The girl turned around put her legs shoulder width apart and put her arms out to the side.

In a flash two beautiful white wings sprouted from her back, they had to be at least ten feet long a piece.

Susan watched as a bright light flashed, Susan covered her eyes for a split second, when the light went away the girl was gone.

She smiled and continued on her way deciding not to tell of the vision she had just seen.

As she lay in the bed that night, she knew that mark was most likely going to be a big part of her life.
She smiled to herself then slowly fell asleep.
----------------------------
I hope that I didn’t make to many people cry with this one, I know I ran out of tissue before I was done. Hope you like Kayla :D

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

yes

yes i like. a nice tear jerker. i think we need one of these once in a while. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

tears

seems you made at least 2 people cry ;)

Add me to the queue

For the tissue box.

Susie

I cried too, hon

beautiful story.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Very Well Done

I never mind using a few tissues when reading a story that touches the soul like this one. Thank you for the tears.

Hrdnight

You're In Such Good Company

joannebarbarella's picture

Three stories have had me crying all evening. This one; 'Drea's "Sacrifice" and Cyclist's "Cold Feet At Christmas".

Wonderful stories,

Joanne

Yes! Kayla

I liked it a lot.

Thankyou.

LoL
Rita

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac.
'Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.'

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Just came back...

with a fresh box of tissues. Too many stories bringing on the water works - Christmas is a happy(?) time but the emotions from this year's crop of wonderful tales are soooo strong that its a tissue parade rather than a Santa one.

Excellent tale of one who weeps for the result of his ignorance & impatience.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Sadly.....

.... such an event may be much more common than we might think.

"The last words ever spoken to a loved one must haunt you"

Noo tears, but some fears. xx

So sad

Hi everyone Like being a sexy Crossdressing Male to Female & love all of ur Crossdressing stories.I did.That is the saddest story I have ever read in my life!

tears

thank you .. I hope to see you girls with your pretty wings when my time comes I miss all of you so much miss the hugs but miss you all more
great story