Vayeitzei/Vayishlakh

Printer-friendly version


Vayeitzei/Vayishlakh

--SEPARATOR--


by shalimar

 

The matriarch, Leah, morns her sister, Rachel. Based on the Biblical
story in Bereishit (Genesis) and Midrashim. Minimally transgender possibility
from prayer.

 

I am crying, just looking at the dirt covering my baby sister. ‘Why?’ the only thing I could think of. ‘Why did she have to die giving her son life?’ I remember when we met Jacob. She had tendered the sheep that day; I was at home weaving. I knew Rachel was smitten with love that day, but so was I. He was so handsome, those strong muscles. And that jovial smile. I longed to have him hold me. I would have settled for a kiss, a touch, but I also knew Rachel wanted the same. My legs barely held me up. My stomach did flip-flops. I knew then I wanted to have his babies, lots of them. I had those babies.

Why was I so jealous of their attraction? He obviously wanted her. So, I watched him and her together, wishing I was her. My sister, whom I love with the man I had longed for, and I admit, loved. I saw them after dark in the courtyard just kissing. If Papa knew he would have killed them both. Rachel was always impulsive.

Then my father told him, “Why should you work for free?” And Jacob said he would work seven years for Rachel. I nearly died when I overheard their bargain. I ran to my room and sobbed.

Rachel was there. It took a long time and her prodding before I told her. I didn’t want her to know what I felt for Jacob.

After a while, she said she had an idea. If I knew what she was going to do, I would have stopped her. The next day Laban came to me and told me he was going to marry me to him. I was shocked. I knew he wanted Rachel. Sacrificing myself, I argued and pleaded for my sister before he explained to me that Jacob would marry me first, but I knew it was wrong.

“What have you done?” I yelled at Rachel.

“I’m doing this for you,” she calmly explained. “I know you want him too. You will be a lovely bride. You will have him for a week; then I will have him too. I love you. Please do it. This way we will still be together.”

“Are you sure?”

"Laban has already agreed.”

“But won’t Jacob be angry?”

“Probably, but it will work out in the end.”

“I see this causing trouble.”

“Don’t worry; it is already taken care of. Here’s what you’ll do.”

My need for him overruled my sense of right and wrong.

Seven years later, I married Jacob. As I predicted, Jacob was furious when he saw me instead of the bride he intended to have the next morning. He wanted to repudiate the marriage.

I cried and told him, “If you accept our nuptial then you may marry Rachel in a week.”

“Why should I believe you?” He had anger in his eyes.

“Because Rachel and Laban put me up to it,” I choked out. “I knew it was wrong, but, she told me she would refuse to marry you if you voided this marriage.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you too,” I hiccupped. Tenderly, he pulled me into him, held me, and kissed me and told me, everything will work out. I knew he cared. It was enough then.

Later that day, Jacob went to Laban and made a new contract. When it was finished, Jacob punched his father-in-law in the face then came back to me. We made love. A week later, Rachel was his bride. Because of that week, I had a son, Ruben, and then, another, and another, six in all. But Rachel was barren. She was bitter. I had his children.

Yes, I was jealous too, because she had his love. I knew he cared for me, but it was not enough.

Yet, I prayed to Jacob’s G-d and asked Him to give my sister a child. Nine months later Joseph was born.

Recently, I was with child again. This time I prayed to make my unborn son a girl and let Rachel have another son. G-d did as I requested, but the price was too high. If I had known, I would not have made the trade.

A few months ago, Father came after us wanting to bring us back. He was also furious that he lost his idols. He searched our belongings, but Rachel hid them under her and claimed it was her time of the month. Her claim made them useless to him even if he found them under her. She risked too much. It would have been her life and the baby’s because Papa didn’t know she was with child. But I admired her bravery. Little did I know her life would still be forfeited.

I know now Jacob loves me, but never will it be like his love for Rachel. I accept what I can have. And I sit here in sackcloth and ashes unable to stop my tears. I still can’t believe she’s dead.

Jacob is carrying Benjamin to me, now. It must be time to feed him. Miraculously I have milk in my breasts for him. The baby is innocent of all these manipulations.

 

This Midrash is based on an ancient Midrash told to me by rami and two other Midrashim (plural of Midrash).
The Hebrew word, “Midrash,” means "story" from "to investigate" or "study" and is a homiletic method of biblical exegesis. The term also refers to the whole compilation of homiletic teachings on the Bible. Midrash is a way of interpreting biblical stories that goes beyond simple distillation of religious, legal or moral teachings. It fills in many gaps left in the biblical narrative regarding events and personalities that are only hinted at. Examples include non Biblical stories about the seventy years between Abraham’s birth and the day he left his father’s home. (based on the Wikipedia article)
The title of the story is the parshot (readings of the week) where this story was mentioned: Vayeitzei is Breisheet (Genesis) 28:10-32:3 and Vayishlakh is Breisheet 32:4-36:43. Breisheet is the Hebrew, and therefore the true name for the first book of the Bible. It is first word of this book.

Sitting in sackcloth and ashes is part of the ancient ritual of morning in Israel.

up
49 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yasher Koach

RAMI

A Yasher Koach on your Midrash on a Midrash. Leah prayed that her son would become a girl, so that Rachel, would not have fewer tribes descending from her, then the maidservants did. HaShem (G-d) granted her wish and Dinah was born. Though they were rivals, the sisters loved each other, and Leah acted out love for her sister. The the Matriachs were extraordinary women, but is this a TG story in the Tenach.

Yasher Koach means may you have strength. It is the traditional greeting given in Synagogue when a congregant is called up for an Alaiyah when he reads the Torah. It is also used to congratulate someone on a good job.

Rami

RAMI

The Price

Puddintane's picture

The child in Leah's womb who was transformed into a girlchild was Dinah, later famous as the young woman who was abducted and raped by Sechem, a Canaanite Prince, who was later murdered by two of her brothers before he could formally marry her through the payment of the brideprice (as was mandated by the ancient rules of marriage by abduction) and make the child which resulted from the rape legitimate. The Canaanite rulers were Egyptians, so the resulting child would be Egyptian as well, according to ancient rules of descent. The child of Dinah and Sechem was also a girlchild, and was called Asenath, who became the "Egyptian" wife of Joseph. The bare bones of the story are in Genesis 34, which was expanded into a novel by Anita Diamant in her novel, The Red Tent.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Anita Diamant

Puddintane's picture

P.S. The Red Tent is, by the way, a wonderful book*. It focuses on women's relationships with each other, for the most part, and is right on target. It's also an accurate look at a period quite regularly obfuscated and distorted in retrospective for partisan interests. Anita Diamant is Jewish, and this is her magnum opus. Most of the rest of her books are non-fiction guides to being Jewish in the modern world.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

* I have it in hardback, trade paper, and recently Kindle electronic format, so I can carry it around without strain.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Vayeitzei/Vayishlakh

Love it when you take a Bible Story and post it here/

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine