Wish Upon A Christmas

Printer-friendly version

Christie made her way to the eighth floor of the Cancer wing with a sense of dread and a heavy heart. Dr. Fischer had called her that afternoon and told her that she needed to get there to see her mother as soon as she could. The cancer had spread to her liver and pancreas and she only had a short time left. She stepped into her mother's room where she was greeted with the all too familiar sounds of the monitors beeping. Her mother looked like she was asleep, but then as Christie approached her mother replied weakly"Hello dear, It sure isn't the way to spend Christmas Eve is it?"

It really isn't the place neither of us wanted to be" Christie replied tearfully" I was really hoping that the lab tests would come back showing some improvement in your condition, but I guess not?"

"Honey, I want you to know that I am so proud of the daughter you have become. I know it was hard on us both when your father was killed in Afghanistan, but we made it through that time holding on to each other. I know he would be proud of you too. We knew very early in life that you were really a girl and we tried so hard to make things easier for you. Your father wanted you to have your SRS on your 18th Birthday and we did it with me holding your hand all the way. I love you darling! If I could go back and do things over, I wish you could have grown up as a little girl from the very beginning.I wish I had never picked up those damn cigarettes at thirteen years old either, but we can't do anything about that now. I want you to be strong and follow your dreams. Meet someone to share your life with and adopt children one day. You would make a wonderful mother. I need to rest now"

"Momma? How am I supposed to live without you? All I am today is all because of what you taught me when I first told you how I felt all those years ago. You and Daddy didn't hit me or scream at me. You loved me unconditionally and you went out of your way to make sure I had the support of the entire family. I will never forget the time, Daddy knocked Uncle Jack out cold "for daring to call his daughter a fag and a sissy" as he put it. Aunt Julie and Cousin Mindy didn't talk to him for two weeks until he saw "The error of his ways" as they put it. I remember how shocked I was when Uncle Jack showed up with a bouquet of flowers for me and offered up his most sincere apologies for anything he said. I love you so much Momma! I will always keep you in my heart"

Her mother drifted off to sleep and she sat there for a while longer. She bowed her head in silent prayer and left the room. The nurses told her they would call her if anything changed. She walked numbly down the hall to the bank of elevators. Once she reached the lobby,she walked out into the chilly December night. As she walked, the tears fell and she happened to notice a park bench with a homeless man sitting there. He noticed that she was crying and offered her a seat" "What's wrong sweetheart? He asked. It looks like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. By the way, My name is Bob. What's yours?

"My name is Christie. My heart is breaking and I just don't know how I can go on" She replied,sobbing. She proceeded to talk to him and tell him everything that had gone on that evening and even about her early years. She felt like she had known him for years.

"Everything will be okay when you get some sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow morning" Bob assured her.

Christie didn't know how it could be any better, but a sense of peace came over her. "I need to get home and get some rest if I can. Thank you so much for listening"

"Anytime, Hon!

She walked the rest of the way to her parents house and unlocked the door. It was dark and gloomy , except for the light in the kitchen and the greeting she received from Sophie, their Beagle, who was anxiously waiting to go potty. Christie opened the kitchen door and let her out to the backyard. She warmed up some leftover pizza and let Sophie back in. As she ate, she thought back to what her mother had said earlier and knew that no matter what, she would go on and honor her mother's wishes for her. She cleaned up the kitchen, did her nightly ritual, put on her nightgown and went to sleep with Sophie curled up beside her in bed.

"Christie? Are you awake yet honey? It's Christmas! She thought she heard her mother's voice through the fog of sleep, but it couldn't be could it? Christie opened her eyes and noticed something very different about her room immediately! It was the room she had always dreamed she would have if she had actually been physically a girl at birth! Her mother called to her again. "I'm coming Mommy! Even her voice sounded like a little girl. She got off the bed and noticed how short she was. She walked over to the mirror and saw a little girl with blonde hair and blue eyes who looked to be about eight with a pink nightgown with puppies on it. She threw on her robe and rushed downstairs.

Her mother was there in the kitchen making her favorite Blueberry pancakes and the table was set for three places.She looked healthy and radiant. She also didn't smoke either! Christie hadn't seen an ashtray or smelled smoke in the house at all as she thought about it now Just then, she saw her dad come in to the kitchen and she ran into his arms. "How's my princess this fine Christmas morning? I have a feeling that Santa was very good to little Christie this year!

"Oh Daddy! This is the best Christmas ever! I already have everything I ever wished for" She squealed excitedly!

"You mean you don't want to see what Santa brought you under the tree? Her momma teased.

"Momma? You know I don't joke about Santa! I must have been an extra good girl because I have the best mommy and daddy in the whole world.

They sat down together as a family again and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast and went to the living room where the tree was all lit up with presents underneath. She also looked at the family portrait over the fireplace. It was all three of them together posed for a Christmas photo. She had her blonde hair in plaits and wearing a Red velvet dress with black Mary Jane's and white ruffled socks. Her mother had a matching dress with black pumps and her father looked so handsome in his black and grey pinstripe suit with Red tie.

"Christie? Are you okay? Her mother asked. You looked like you were miles away just then.

"I was just admiring our Christmas portrait. We look so pretty don't we Mommy?

"We sure do sweetie! I'm glad we bought those matching dresses at Penney's Your daddy looks so handsome in his suit too!

"Hey, Are you two going to open your gifts? Her daddy asked.

Christie began opening her gifts and found it was the dollhouse she had asked Santa for with all the furniture and two new dolls. She opened up another and found a beautiful blue dress with new shoes and socks to match. Two other dresses in Red and Pink followed that. She opened up another that had a T-shirt with "Mommy's Angel" on the front. That followed two pairs of jeans, a toy vanity and a new Holiday Barbie. She gave her mother a new necklace with a locket. Inside was a picture of her taken that Summer. Daddy got a picture of his two best girls together to put on his desk at work. The business had finally taken off thanks to a large computer order and he hadn't had to join the Army Reserve to make ends meet after all.

"Look Daddy! The Angel on the tree is glowing! She looked up to see Bob's smiling face looking back at her! She knew then that Bob was an angel that answered her fondest wishes and prayers.

"I have another couple of surprises for you Princess! He went to the garage and came back with a dog crate and a new pink bicycle with a White basket on the front. Inside the crate was the cutest Beagle puppy she had ever seen. She knew that it was Sophie. She had gotten younger just like Christie had. Sophie jumped up and licked her face with Puppy kisses. She was overjoyed that she and Sophie would get to grow up together again. "I love you Mommy and Daddy" She hugged them both and gave them lots of kisses.

"You need to get yourself into the tub and get cleaned up for Christmas dinner. Uncle Jack, Aunt Julie and Mindy will be here soon, along with Grandma and Grandpa. Wear your pretty Red dress you got today. I will be wearing one to match. Julie and Mindy will be wearing matching ones in Green" Her momma explained.

"I'm so excited to see them! I wonder if Mindy and I can play House when she gets here? Christie wondered.

"I think she would. She will probably show off the new dolls she got too"

Christie couldn't believe that Bob had turned back time, saved her parents and made her a genetic little girl too! She whispered a prayer of thanks to the Angel on the top of the tree. She swore she saw him wink back at her with a twinkle in his eye!

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If we could only turn back time?

Andrea Lena's picture

...what a lovely story to grace my night. Restoration and hope give me hope as well. Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Wish Upon A Christmas

Very sweet

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

thank you

Twas the day before Christmas and all through my house, nothing was stirring not even a mouse as I see it . Then I read this and smiled from ear to ear a great Christmas story of hope,love and family, kind of rare theses days. May your family hug the stuffing out of you for this. I am. Merry Christmas to all the faiths of this world and thank you Jengrl for this brief side step from the insanity of the season.Oh and Dad say hello to the angels for me and Happy birthday i miss you.

tears in my beard

Wow I don't get weepie over to many stories but...
thanks for this one ed


ed