Off to Seek a Wizard -3- Not-So-Great Planes

Printer-friendly version
Off to Seek a Wizard...
-3-
Not-So-Great Planes

by Erin Halfelven

stephaniedale.png

 
We get on the plane and my seat is 12A and George's seat is 12B, right next to me and we're both in first class -- how cool is that? But it worries me a bit to think I'm going to be sitting with a boy who's trying to hit on me for almost 2000 miles. This could get crazy-making.

He offers me the window seat when he finds out I've never flown before and we trade. Somehow while trading my butt gets in the way and he apologizes for rubbing up against it. I just giggle because I have no idea how else to react.

I didn't just win the contest, go home and put on a dress and catch the plane. Mom and I spent two months practicing while she told me all about how I should react in public. But not a word on how to behave after I had rubbed my bottom on some boy's chest.

The worst thing about it was when I got seated and looked at him, he seemed to be enjoying himself. I could just die!

I'm slender and not that tall, five foot three and one hundred pounds, more or less. It's always been a problem for me growing up because I have what some consider a girlish face. Until I started learning magic from my dad, I got beat up more than anyone would really like to have that experience. And a lot of them told me right straight out, that they were beating on me cause I looked like a girl.

Actually I have a substantial nose and too much chin, but Mom says I make a very pretty girl and Daddy called me his princess. He also said I'm to call him Daddy whenever I'm Stephanie and not to forget or he'll take away my Barbie dolls.

I don't have any Barbies, by the way. Well, just one. She has a cute little mermaid costume and I've never taken her out of the package but every girl, even someone who's not a real girl should probably have a Barbie doll to be more authentic.

See, that's the secret of magic. It has to look authentic, unless you're doing a comedy act. A set of rings that don't look as if they are all made of solid steel isn't going to fool anyone when you thumb the secret catch and make them pass through one another.

Anyway, I started doing magic in the classroom and the bullies started leaving me alone. Maybe they were afraid I'd turn them into neuts. No, I didn't misspell that.

So we sat on the runway for a half hour more, while I thought about outwitting bullies and such. The tower still hadn't cleared us for takeoff, I guess and someone who claimed he was the captain of our plane came on the intercom and said something about windstorms over the Great Plains.

"I don't think this is such a Great Plane," I said aloud and George laughed.

We were flying Emerald Air which is headquartered in Seattle but flies all over the west and has a hub in Kansas City. The planes are a pretty shade of green that almost matches my eyes and Daddy said that's why I picked them for my first ever air plane flight but it isn't true.

I look out the window and we still aren't moving. I look back and I catch George looking at me. He smiles and pretends to be playing a game on his phone.

A little later he catches me looking at him. I could just die.

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Encore...

Angharad's picture

...please. I'm really enjoying this, Erin, even if it seems to be going nowhere, courtesy of the weather.

Angharad

Angharad

I'm sure it'll pick up after

I'm sure it'll pick up after 1571 more chapters.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

This is cute. Only quirk I

This is cute. Only quirk I noticed is that every plane I've been on letters the seats from one side of the plane to the other. 12A should have been a window seat to begin with.

Airplane seats

erin's picture

Emerald Air does things a bit differently, though I have seen this. Each pair of seats in First Class is a "row", so "Row" 12 is on the right side of the plane and seat 12A is an aisle seat. I'm sure Stan would give me a no-prize for this answer. :)

Glad you like the story.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

You fooled me, Erin.

As any fule no, Great Planes is a well-known manufacturer of model aeroplane kits (actually, I guess airplane kits as they're a US company). I have a couple and they fly very well. I thought Stephanie had magicked herself small :)

So I guess you're flying blind on this one? It's funny and I even understood the # references last time and I've never, ever sullied Twitter's web pages.

Hope you keep it up, thanks.

Robi

Enjoyable and very sweet

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Enjoyable and very sweet. I loved the line about every girl owning a Barbie. I'm glad you've spun this out into more chapters.

And I seriously envy your ability to tell so much in so few words Erin. :-)
 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Glad it's continuing

thanks for the new episode!

It's nice that they come bite-sized.

I see a white beard...

Can't wait for the "wizard reveal" scene. This genre of fiction + wizard usually equals mall + bath robe.


The girl in me...
She's always there and she's presently amused.

"I could just die."

Aww. Don't die, things are just getting interesting!

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Bite-sized Treat

terrynaut's picture

This is fun. I wondered about "her" physical attributes and now we know. It sounds like there will be no trouble passing. It's nothing but clear sailing from here on out. Riiiiight.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Kansas, Wizard, Emerald, Tornados... Hmmmm

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

I'm sensing a theme here.

Thanks for sharing Erin.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

I love it!

Emerald air flying out of Kansas City.
Shades of the Wizard of Oz.

Off to Seek a Wizard -3- Not-So-Great Planes

Wonder if the Wizard is the SRU Wizard?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I love this story.

The tone is just perfect.

Well... off to read the next one, and the next one, and... until I catch up.

Emerald Air

Daphne Xu's picture

Tornadoes, Wizard, maybe even "princess". I've forgotten the others. All motifs from the classic franchise.

Off to the next part.

-- Daphne Xu

Mental changes

She is starting to think like I girl. So emerald air like the wizard of oz.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna