Blue Moon 1.0 - Strangefellows Day

Printer-friendly version

 
It's still here!


Blame Erin (and Lainie) for this one
Blue Moon
Blue Moon
by Donna Lamb

 
"Joel, let me in, it's dark out here."

Joel took a peek through the curtain. He thought he'd recognized the voice.

"Joel!"

He turned on the porch light to be sure. "Is that you, Richard?" Joel asked.

"Yeah, now let me in."

"Fat chance, you b-b-backstabber!" he snarled, checking to make sure the door was double locked. Joel tended to stutter when he got emotional.

"Ah, Joel, don't be like that. It's cold and it's dark out here."

"After what you did, you expect m-m-me to let you in? You've got some nerve!"

"Look it's my apartment, too. Now open this door and let me in!"

"How was your date?" Joel asked through the door. He pulled a wad of tissue out of the box and wiped his eyes and nose with it; he'd cried for hours when he'd discovered what Richard -- his best friend, Richard -- had done.

"Ah, Joel," Richard said in that sorrowful voice parents use when telling a kid that whatever the kid wants isn't good for you. "She wasn't any good for you, Joel. I took the bullet for you."

"You b-b-b-bozo! You took my car and m-my girl and now you took m-my b-b-bullet, too?" Joel screamed at him.

Richard paused before answering. "Now, guy, that didn't even make sense. Let me in and we can talk about it like reasonable people."

Joel took several deep slow breaths. "The first date I've had with an actual girl in a blue moon and you went and stole it from me! And you think I'm going to let you b-b-back in?"

"There's something seriously wrong with that girl, Joel. I couldn't let you do it."

"What? She agreed to go on a date with me, so there's something wrong with her? It's not one a.m. yet, what are you doing back so soon? I didn't have time to put out the b-b-bear trap I'd planned on!"

"She ran out on me, guy. Did the old powder her nose and took a powder schtick. After eating some powerful expensive lobster and drinking some ferocious expensive liquor, I might add."

"You didn't go to bed with her?" Joel asked.

"I didn't even get a good night handshake, guy. She stiffed me. That Sophie Drake is some seriously weird chick, dude. I took a two hundred dollar hit on the old Mastercard and she ran out on me. I am so bummed."

Joel laughed. "Richard, you are such a dick."

"I know man, now let me in."

Leaning the baseball bat against the couch, Joel undid the locks.

Richard rushed in, heading for the bathroom. "Hey thanks man, I got to get rid of some of this wine I rented."

Following the white noise of relief, Joel wandered down the hall after him.

"Ahhhh!" Richard sighed. "White wine looks the same coming out as it does going in."

Joel leaned on the doorjamb. "You really had a miserable time?"

"Totally," Richard said. "Oh, I won't lie to you, she's a total fox and she's really built! You should have seen her in that skimpy, little, red velvet dress ... ."

Joel glanced back toward the baseball bat.

"But she's seriously got some screws loose. You know what she talked about? Torture through the ages. Like how it's made a big come back because of the political situation. Creepy." He zipped himself back up.

"Well," Joel said, "she is a dental hygienist." That's where he'd met her, going in to get his teeth cleaned. All that up close intimacy had overcome his shyness and after his appointment, he'd asked her for a date.

Richard laughed and washed his hands. They wandered on into the kitchen where Joel had been brewing a pot of chamomile tea. He poured them each a cup and said, "I'm still kind of steamed at you."

"I did you a favor," Richard said, blowing on the tea.

"Well, don't do me any f-f-favors."

"Hey, you know that thing you said about a blue moon? She mentioned that, too. Seems it is a blue moon tonight, second full moon in the same month."

"That can't happen too often. Like me getting a date, it's got to be rare," said Joel.

"Uh huh, well, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, for either of us," said Richard. "I'd much rather be sleeping with a beautiful chick tonight than with you."

"So you would have slept with her?"

"Uh, yeah. She was crazy but, you know, pussy is pussy."

"You b-b-big liar!" Joel's anger came back in a rush. "You said you were doing me a favor! Some f-f-f-friend!"

"Ah, don't be like that, Joel! She would have just broken your heart."

"But you wanted to sleep with her! Don't p-pretend you're all-truistic or something!"

"Well, of course, I wish I were going to sleep with a beautiful girl tonight! Don't you?"

Joel sighed. "Yeah, more than just about anything."

-=-=-=-=-=-

Outside in the big stretch Hummer, the woman calling herself Sophie Drake looked up. She smiled. ""A Blue Moon on Strangefellows Day, that doesn't happen too often. You'd think they could be a little more creative with a wish on such a special night."

The rental limo driver's license read "Bill C. Bubb" and a trick of the moonlight seemed to show horns in the picture, but everyone knows how bad drivers' license photos can be.

The woman in the red velvet cocktail dress laughed. "Take us home, William. These boys make it just too easy to warp their simple wish."

The driver put the monster vehicle in gear, chanting, "Go directly to Hell, go directly to Hell. Do not pass God. Do not collect two souls."

Sophie sighed. "Well, at least not tonight."

From the house, as the Devil in Drag's limo drove away, a high-pitched feminine scream split the peaceful night.


DopplerPress edition available from Kindle and Amazon!

 

On the night of the Blue Moon, the Devil in Drag walks the Earth granting wishes and causing trouble.

Two young roommates deal with moonlight, music and magic in a gender-bending,
heart-stopping, romantic romp through Hollywood.

Blue Moon

Paperback edition available, and Kindle edition at only 99 cents in the US, about that much everywhere else, too!

If you buy the paperback for $10.99, you can download the Kindle edition for free.

All proceeds go to Hatbox.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

cryptic somethings

kristina l s's picture

Well sort of. You're doing it on purpose I'm sure. Just enough to tease without explaining anything. What?? Ya tryin' ta make us think or somethin'?? The Devil's in the details I suppose. Must say I like the white wine observation. Does that count as acid wit?
Kristina

Less cryptic edits perhaps?

As I've noted before, I'm sometimes too clever for my own good. So, I made a few changes in the ending to explain things a bit better. And this is intended to be a sort of sequel to Lainie's Strangefellows story.

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Dot. . .Dot. . .Dot. . .Dot

Either version is fine, but I preferred the first. Tales from the Cryptic?

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Hmmm, leaves too much to my Imagination...

It's just me, but the best part of the story was left unwritten!!!!! I like to feel the author's mood and emotion on the crux of a conflict and the follow up and discovery and how its dealt with. Sure, I usually play out things in my mind to my taste, But I always have, I desire to feel other people's through their words :)

Greed, backstabbing, demonic interference; recipe for hell :)

Great Story though Donna :) You know how to set up a good one .

Love

Sephrena Lynn Miller

I'm confused -- so what else is new?

One scream?

Which man got turned into a totally hot babe? Or was it both, the Devil could have done that given what the one said in reply to the other's *wish*. Remember the Devil said something abou this being too easy.

Erin, if you don't have a troglodike lined up for the next part, I'll give it a whack.

Oh, Erin, I decided to combine several of my in-progress stories into one mega-borin ... really big story and thus enter it in the What's So Novel About It catagory. Do I need to post at least a teaser now or is it okay as long as it is all in by November?

I found at least two of the three tied in neatly to an earlier story of mine from one of the contests and presto-chango, I have a story universe. I hope it's not catching, as aardvak one said, "I like my monkey."

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John, john, john

erin's picture

You need to ask DONNA whether to continue this one. She may have blamed me for it, but SHE wrote it. I'd like to see her do so, too.

As to the other, novels don't have to be in till November but there will be the opportunity to vote on unfinished novels submitted so far when submissions end Sunday.

What about it, Donna? Is this going to continue?

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Yes, Sephrena there was only one scream and Yes, John, I'm going

Yes, Sephrena there was only one scream and Yes, John, I'm going to continue this.

The Devil decided that one girl and one guy could get into more trouble than two girls or maybe she was just being lazy.

But Blue Moon 1.2 will be posted later today at Stardust in a special arrangement with Bob Arnold and Erin to do kind of what Erin has done with Urban Recycling. :grin: Only in reverse. Premiere daily pieces at Stardust and weekly summaries at BC, I mean. Now I have to drive back to work to get my laptop where I was working on Blue Moon 1.2 this morning when I should have been finishing that assignment for those cows out in Norco. :smile: Teach me to take the afternoon off. Anybody want to meet at Hamburger Hamlet for a number 23 and Little Fried Onions, long as I got to go back to Westwood?

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

My brain is not working but the sentiment was right

I meant to say that about "I should have stayed in bed" but this one screams for continuance.

Blue Moon 1.2? Did 1.1 get dumped because it was too buggy to release? Does this mean there will be a 1.22? A Critical Security update, Servuice Pack?

Assignments for cows? They take clases?

As to a girl and a guy getting into more trouble ... oh yeah. Mind you two girls can be pretty wild. But which boy is not anymore?

Oh, Donna, I have been a fool ...

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Friday night, what was I thinking

Hope you didn't wait for me at the Hamlet, couldn't stand for it so I'm calling B-52 Pizza for a strike. :grin: Friendly fire, friendly fire!

1.2? 1.1? I dunno, maybe I'll call it 2.1. Just to, you know, be difficult. :lol:

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Deep dish distruction?

Donna,

Cheese and sausage carpet bombing? Precision peperioni? Mozzarella misiles? Or is B-52 Pizza delived by girls with really high hairdos?

As to the next instalment, Vista anyone?

John in damp Wisconsin

John in Wauwatosa

Do Cows Have Class?

Do you really live in the land of Milk and Tribal Money? (Can someone please call Don Imus and get him to explain the meaning of Ho-Chunk?)

When cheeseheads aren't fawning over the Packers, they're sneaking out to the pasture for a little quality time with the favorite "classy" heifer.

I'm beginning to think you picked Wauwatosa for same reason W.C. Field picked his many, many hometowns. When's the last time someone actually wau-wa'd your tosa?

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

It beats Butler hands down

One,

I live in Wauwatosa.

And two, cities like Wauwatosa , Oconomowoc, and such have a certain feel. Butler, Clintonvile, Sussex, yuck!

As to the heifers, ABS Global gets most of that action.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Nice story, Adonna.

John in Wauwatosa

Oconomowoc

Break up the O monopoly.

I stayed there at the convention center nearly fifteen years ago.

The name means "bring big bucks and don't expect to leave with them."

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Blue Moon 2.4

Find out about Charlie's law of Compliments :smile:

http://stardustr.us

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Charlie who?

I Googled that, and while I got some pretty strange returns, nothing looked right. You made that up, didn't you! :P If you are going to use "laws" you gotta use real ones, like the Peter-Paul Law. :)

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Charlie's Law

Simply stated is: "There can't be a wrong time to tell a woman she's beautiful." It's paraphrased from something Charlie Sheen's character said in one of his movies. ::grin::

I know the Peter-Paul Law too, it's the guiding principle of my life. ::lol::

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Blue Moon

Donna this story is really dramatic and cute kinda. I could feel the tension between Joel and Richard, and the ending was a total surprise. Thank you for sharing.

With super love & big as the sky hugs
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

She's a whiner

What is she complaining about? She got for free what is going to cost me $10000, and hers is real while mine will be but a mere shadow. giggle hicup.

Gwenellen

She is a bit of a whiner

But then, Joel the boy was too. Maybe she'll learn her way out of it. ::smile::

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

My mom always told me:

What you get for free is worth every penny you pay for it, and you value it accordingly. 'Sides, while Joel was hoping to loose his virginity, this wasn't quite the way he had in mind, did she!

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Being

Let's hope Joel learns something about how to value what she's got but I don't intend to make it too easy for her. :smile:

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Blue Moon 1.0 - Strangefellows Day

The Devil in Drag makes the S.R.U Wizard look like a tame puppy in comparison.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Got already

I already have that for kindle and have for a while been a while since I read it though,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Review

erin's picture

Did you leave a review? Please leave a review.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Careful

It all goes in the bit bucket in the middle. No rescuing this one. :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin