Somewhere Else Entirely -42-

Printer-friendly version

Garia's bid to ride a frayen continues with a trip to the armory. The man she meets there provides her with a different kind of challenge... one in which she only partially successful. The royals meet to decide the fate of Garia's project... and Robanar finds himself unexpectedly outnumbered!

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

42 - The King's Armorer


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Astonishing," Rosilda said. "Completely astonishing." She turned to her right. "Captain Merek, I had no idea that Milady Garia could do such things! I imagined that she performed much gentler exercise."

"As you say, mistress," Merek answered. "I can assure you that what you see was a surprise to the guard as well. So small, and yet able to contest men twice her size and weight."

"So small, yes. Do the men make allowance for the difference in sizes, captain?"

"Just the reverse, mistress. Those men are trying their hardest, believe me. Milady Garia fights with such a ferocity that it is all they may do to withstand her. She is the proof that size is not all in conflict, just as a tiny fikt may sting the largest warrior."

Rosilda and Merek both flinched as Bessel rushed at Garia, only for her to sway, duck and sweep a leg around behind his knees to unbalance him, then pivot to stand over his body, one foot poised to stamp down on his throat. Bessel held flat palms out to indicate surrender, then extended a hand for Garia to help him to his feet again.

"See?" she said. "I let your own body do most of the work there. I know it can be difficult, especially in the heat of battle, but you must try not to be so quick to attack. Even when I'm not in a position to land a direct blow, your own weight and momentum gave me an opening to bring you down."

Bessel looked at Garia with a serious expression. "As you say, Teacher. I thought that if I was fast enough, you would not have time to react to me."

"Against anyone else in the room, you'd probably be right, Bessel. Unfortunately, the lessons I have learned are now so deep in my bones that my reaction was automatic. That's what you all should be aiming for, so that your body knows what to do before you even realize what's happening in front of you." She smiled at him. "You didn't do so badly, even so. Let's try that again, but slower, and I'll show you what you did, and what I did, and you can tell me how you might do things different next time."

"As you say, Teacher."

"Oh, and one other thing," she added, shaking a finger in mock severity. "Why did you end up flat on your back like that? You should have continued over and rolled back to your feet."

"But, Teacher!" Bessel protested. "Having my legs knocked away like that means I can't roll as we normally do. I fell flat on my back, there was no motion to roll with."

"You're right, Bessel. I'll show you how you might deal with that situation as well."

Merek and Rosilda both sat on the bleachers in the Self Defense Training Room watching the men kick, strike, tumble and roll. Beside them sat Merizel and the women's maids, ready waiting for the session to end. When it did, Garia called her men into a circle and gave them a small pep talk before dismissing them. She skipped over to the bleachers, her face covered with a sheen of sweat from the strenuous activity, her clothes likewise stained, a contented smile for her watchers. Jenet pulled out a towel and Garia used it to wipe her face, neck and hair before hanging it loosely round her neck, accepting then a leather bottle from which she took a long pull.

"Ah, that's better!" She grinned at Rosilda. "What did you think of today's exhibition, then?"

"I am almost speechless, milady. I did not know that a woman - any woman - could be capable of such activity. And you tell me this is a common custom in your own lands?"

"Oh, yes, Rosilda. Both men and women can take part in most sports on Earth. Of course, men will always be physically bigger then women, and usually stronger, but we are more flexible and usually have more endurance than them." Garia took another pull at the water bottle. "There are sports men mainly play, and sports women mainly play, but sports like you have seen here today can be done by anyone."

"You say sport, milady. Does this mean that you do not consider this to be a warlike activity, then? You do this for pleasure?"

Garia thought. "When you look at most sports close enough, you'll probably find they are based on some kind of warfare. What I do here is useful to women because it helps them defend themselves when unpleasant incidents happen. The men, of course, will use it to defend their King more efficiently."

"As you say, milady," Merek agreed. "Not, perhaps on the field of battle, but within the corridors and chambers of the palace, this method of subduing wrongdoers is one that I am definitely in favor of. I particularly liked the demonstration you gave earlier of disarming a man possessed of a knife. It seemed so obvious once shown."

Garia nodded her head to the captain. "Like many things, captain, only obvious once you've seen it done." Merek nodded acknowledgment. "Are you satisfied by what you have seen so far?"

"Thank you yes, milady." He gave her a small smile. "I am glad that your country is so far away, for one reason only, and that is that we shall not have to meet them in battle. With respect, you are still but a child, if I chanced against those of your armies I would surrender immediately."

"We're not so different than yourselves, captain. We fight, yes, but only when we're threatened. Ah!"

Keren arrived and Jenet promptly doled him out a towel with which he started vigorously rubbing his damp hair.

"I liked that trick with the knife," he said to Garia. "Obvious, really." He grinned at Merek. "We'll go off and get changed now, captain, and get out of your way."

"As you wish, Highness. I shall expect to see you in the larger room this afternoon, where we shall no doubt be witness to some further unlikely events."

Garia rolled her eyes as Keren grinned back. "If you say so, captain."

On the way back through the corridors to change for lunch, Rosilda asked Garia, "I understand now your need for some means of retaining your breasts firmly in position, milady. I did not realize quite how hard you would work this morning. Was your 'sports bra' successful, do you think?"

"It was quite good, actually, Rosilda. There's a little chafing here," she pointed to the front of her armpit, "but that's about all I've noticed so far. We'll be able to have a better look when I've stripped this tunic off. I'm impressed by the speed you can make these things."

"There's almost nothing to them, milady. Accurate cutting and sewing, yes, but there is so little material it does not take long to put one together." Rosilda hesitated, then turned to Keren. "Highness, we do not disturb you with this talk of women's underclothing?"

"I have two older sisters, Rosilda. While the matters you discuss do not interest me, neither do they embarrass me. Please continue."

"A question I would ask then, milady. I did not appreciate why you needed a detachable skirt. While I understand the difference it makes to your exercise, you would not normally be dressed in that fashion, would you? Would this affect your actions, say if you had to fight someone while dressed as a lady of the court?"

"You're right, Rosilda, and that was the situation I faced during the festival, if you recall. It's one of the matters I was going to talk about with you sometime, if that is okay."

"At your convenience, milady. It seems I have been given special permission to make... experimental garments at your suggestion. Returning to your detachable skirt, is there not a possibility that the men are affected because they can see your legs? How can you wrestle with them, in such a proximity, dressed as you were?"

Garia shrugged. "I'm dressed more or less exactly the same as they are, once I've taken the skirt off. My tunic is a slightly different shape and length, of course, but my tights and boots are exactly what the men are issued with."

Keren added, "It was a little difficult for the men, at first. But once they realized that she was serious about her work, they focused on that and the way she was dressed became unimportant." He grinned. "It was the same for me. And the fact that she chooses to dress as they do is taken as a considerable compliment by the guard. There is not a man in the entire guard who would harm her, and most would protect her with their lives."

Garia blushed. "Keren, you exaggerate."

"Do you think so? I'm not so sure."

"And I see now why you keep your hair cut short, milady," Rosilda continued. "I thought at first it was just a custom of your own people, but watching you tumble today made me realize how awkward it might be if your hair was long, like the other ladies of the court."

Garia shrugged again. "Yes and no, Rosilda. If your hair is long, there are styles one can use to keep it out of the way. Like a pony-tail, for example."

Blank looks all round. Well, of course, if they don't have horses, they won't have ponies either, and I've seen no animal so far with a tail which is like that of a horse.

She smiled apologetically. "Sorry! You wouldn't know that word. I'll demonstrate another time, you might know what I mean by a different name."

"As you wish, milady," Rosilda said. "I must say... to begin with, the short hair style looked strange, but we have become used to it now. I think it really suits the shape of your face. It makes you look even more cute, if that were possible."

Cute? Me cute? I liked looking at girls that looked cute. I'm not sure how I feel about being cute myself. Does that make it easier or harder for me? One reason I decided to cut my hair this way was so I'd be different, not the same as the other ladies in the court. Huh, that doesn't seem to have worked, does it?

"Here we are," Keren said as they reached the household corridor. "I'll see you all at lunch."

Garia entered her suite, and watched by Rosilda, began stripping out of her tunic.

"Hmm. Yes, milady. We need to increase the curve just here and here. If your breasts were larger, then it would not be necessary, I think, but of course these other pieces would need altering instead. Can I see the back? Milady, you are bruised!"

"What? Oh, no, Rosilda, that's all right. That happened the first day I rode Snep. I asked him to stop suddenly and he was a little too enthusiastic."

"Oh, I see. As I understand it, the men fall from frayen quite frequently. Now, let me see. The adjustment buckles have left small marks on your back, I'll mention it to Fulvin and see if there is a way of adjusting the shape. Let me make a note of those changes."

"Do you want to take it away with you?"

"Thank you, milady, no. If Jenet can return it once it has been washed, I can alter it then. For now, I will merely adjust the pattern and make you another ready for tomorrow morning."

"You know you'll be spending part of the afternoon with us out the back again?"

"Of course, milady. I will join you at the eighth bell."

~o~O~o~

The buildings that housed the makers of arms and armor were on the left hand side of the field at the rear of the palace. Although one could walk across from the Large Training Room, another route allowed them access without getting wet. It was, of course, still raining. Inside, a sequence of rooms held forges and furnaces, anvils and grindstones, most of which were in use by metalsmiths making or repairing knives, swords, arrow heads, spears, body and frayen armor and numerous other objects of use when waging war.

Right at the back of the building, the lower part of the end wall hinged up to allow the heat from the furnaces to escape. This effectively provided an awning which protected the opening from the pouring rain, and working at an anvil under the awning was the largest man Garia had ever seen. He didn't look tall, even though he towered over everyone else in sight, but that was probably because he was as wide as he was tall. His chest and arms were immense, heavily muscled from the continuous work at forge and anvil. His skin was deeply tanned from years spent working stripped to the waist, and his upper body and arms were covered with thick, coarse hair.

Oh... My... God. Just look at that body! I've never seen anyone so big before! We-ll, maybe some lard-butt in town, but not this guy! There's not an ounce of fat anywhere I can see, and boy, can I see a lot! He's built just like Hercules, and I'm not talking Kevin Sorbo here!

She eyed the magnificent figure as he turned and noticed the party enter. The man was naked except for a short, heavily stained leather kilt and short boots.

No, not Hercules... not in a forge making weapons. This man is Vulcan. My God, indeed!

He saw their party approach and stood up, putting his tools and the piece he had been working on down into safe places.

Merek introduced them. "Master Haflin, may I introduce Milady Garia, Baroness of Blackstone, and her secretary Milady Merizel."

"Milady Garia, Milady Merizel, welcome." Haflin smiled down at them. "Your Highness, Captain. What can I do for you all?"

"Milady Garia requires some minor work from your armory, master," the captain told him. "I don't know how much you know of Milady's activities?"

Haflin broke into a big smile. "I know all about Milady Garia, Merek. My men speak of little else these days. What is she supposed to be doing now?"

Merek bristled. "Milady Garia, in her own lands, is an experienced rider of their own animals. Since her arrival in Palarand she has expressed a wish to ride a frayen, and these last few afternoons she has shown us that she is perfectly capable of doing so. She is accustomed to the use of a different kind of stirrup than our own, and she wishes a pair made."

Haflin shrugged. "She should speak to the saddler, then. Leatherwork is his domain, not mine."

"The stirrups I want made will be metal, Master Haflin," Garia said, speaking for the first time. "They are hung from the saddle by a strap."

"Do I understand, milady, that you ride a frayen as a man does?" Haflin's eyebrows rose. His attention switched to Keren. "Highness, does the King know of this desire?"

"He does, Haflin," Keren replied shortly. "The stirrups are another matter, though. If they prove to be useful to the guard, we will commission sets for them regardless of Milady Garia's activities."

Haflin flushed. "I meant no disrespect, Highness. Were my information to come from a small girl, without the approval of the King, naturally I would be skeptical. What is it you wish me to make, then, little lady?"

Garia gritted her teeth but held her anger inside. "Have you a chalk-board, Master Haflin?" she asked.

"This way, milady."

He led the way to a board on the wall, covered with notations presumably about the work in progress. Frowning, he found an area with less-important writing and wiped it clear with a massive hand. Turning, he offered a piece of chalk to Garia, saying, "Will that be sufficient, milady?"

"It will do, Master Haflin."

The board was so high up she had difficulty reaching the cleared area, but she sketched what she wanted, surprising Haflin by providing plan, side and perspective views.

"On my world these are made of steel or brass, master. Iron would be good enough. I have even heard of them being made of wood, but of course wood will wear too readily."

"Your drawings are very clear and detailed, milady," he replied, nodding thoughtfully. "These seem simple enough to make. I shall ask one of my journeymen to provide a pair for you. The size is not clear. Should these be made to accommodate your own boots?"

"No, master," Garia shook her head. "Make them big enough to take the boots of most men in the guard, if you please. There's no point making them to individual sizes." She looked speculatively at Haflin's huge boots. "Except maybe for your own mount, of course."

He grinned back at her. "As you say, milady. Tell me, what advantage are these... metal stirrups supposed to give over those we have been using for many years?"

"They are more comfortable to your feet, Master Haflin, and cause less wear to boots and leather. The bottom of your boot is flat, after all, and not rounded the way your stirrup loops would have them become."

"As you say, milady. These should not take long to produce for you. Shall they be given to Captain Merek when ready?"

"If you will, Master Haflin."

"Master Haflin," Keren said, as Garia began to think they had finished there, "Since we are now here, it occurs to me that there may be something else that you might do for Milady Garia. She will soon have need for training blades. Do you have any of a suitable size we might examine?"

Haflin stared at Keren, then roared with laughter. Garia stared stonily back, aware that his reaction indicated yet another obstacle to be overcome. Eventually he calmed down and looked at Keren, the grin still wide on his face.

"Highness, forgive me, you cannot be serious! I can just about understand that she may ride frayen, but placing a sword in the hands of a small girl is just fantasy."

"Haflin, it is no fantasy," Keren said stiffly, his face getting darker. "She will soon have the need of a sword. Shall you provide her with one?"

Haflin's face swiftly cleared and he looked steadfastly at Keren. "Highness, I shall not. I am the King's Armorer, and I provide arms and armor for the King and his Guard. I do not make toys for children."

Oh, no, here we go again. How am I going to convince this great lump of a man-mountain that I know what I'm doing?

Come to that, do I know what I'm doing?

Shouldn't I be leaving my protection to all these good men who are insisting on looking after me? I'm half their size, what good would I be in an all-out fight, especially with weapons I'm unfamiliar with?

"Haflin, you try my patience," Keren said. "You know little of Milady Garia's abilities. This is not true of the King. Now, do you wish me to disturb him at his business, so that he may order you directly to provide what is needed?" He bared his teeth. "And, I personally resent being told I am a child. You may presently be the King's Armorer, but that may not always be true."

Haflin's eyes glinted. "Highness, do you threaten me?"

"Haflin, do you insult me?" Keren shot back. "You are making judgments based on rumor and hearsay, you do not understand the truth, you have not seen her in action. Even if she will not be wielding a sword each day in defense of her King, she must become familiar with one in case the need should arise."

Haflin stared at Keren, trying to weigh his words. Garia watched the pair, the red mist slowly rising. This time, rather than letting it take her over, she channeled it into a resolve.

"Oh, this is ridiculous!" she said, loudly, and marched off to the side wall where a number of weapons were stood waiting repair or refurbishment. She grabbed a training spear, the head wobbling as she picked it up, obviously loose. Reversing it, she placed the tip on the hard-packed dirt floor and then leaned on it with the heel of her boot. The loosened spear head came off the shaft with a crack as the rivet split the worn wood, and she kicked it out of the way before advancing on Haflin, the shaft held in both hands.

"Defend yourself!"

Haflin's eyebrows rose all the way, and then he grinned at Garia.

"You cannot be serious, little lady!"

Garia growled at that, and, advancing one leg, suddenly rammed the shaft straight into Haflin's stomach before skipping back. He recoiled in amazement, while all the others scattered back.

"I said," she ground out, "defend yourself!"

She whipped the shaft back, spun it and held it ready, quarterstaff-style. Haflin's eyes widened as he considered the situation. She was serious! But, what could he do? He appealed to Keren.

"Highness? You cannot seriously expect me to fight a tiny girl like that?"

The feral grin he got in response from Keren shocked him completely. So did the Prince's next words.

"I've never seen Garia fight with a spear stick before," he told Haflin, "but I've no doubt in her abilities, none at all. Defend yourself, Master Armorer Haflin."

Completely at a loss, Haflin glanced around the immediate area, trying to decide what to do. Etiquette of a duel, for it was plain that this was going to be a duel, meant that he could choose any weapon equal or lesser than that his opponent used. Eventually, he strode over to the pile of weapons and picked up another spear. Holding the shaft in one massive hand, and with the spear tip completely enveloped in the other, he made a convulsive twist. There was a crack and the tip came clean away.

He flung it to one side and held up the shaft, unsure what to do. This was a style of fighting he had never experienced, although he had heard that it was used occasionally, perhaps by travelers. It might have been the kind of weapon farm hands would use to settle minor disputes, perhaps. Even so, how could someone perhaps a quarter his own weight and so small expect to make any impression on him?

Garia darted in, her staff twirling, at the last minute letting her left hand slide along it towards her right as she swung it against his right knee, snapping it away before he could somehow snag it off her. Haflin winced at the shock and skipped back, now fully alert. He held his staff with two hands as he had seen Garia do, and cautiously advanced ready for her next move. She swung her staff to the left and he managed to block it, the two lengths of wood meeting with a bang before she let go her right hand, allowing his staff to slide off. She suddenly pulled her staff back and swung up and over, the iron ferrule striking Haflin on his left shoulder.

Haflin could barely keep up, but he was a fast learner. He discovered that he couldn't get to Garia by brute force, because she always angled her staff to deflect his blows. He couldn't predict which end she would use either, and he was forced to merely defend himself without attempting to strike back. He wasn't sure what would happen if he did manage to hit his small opponent, since injuring her didn't seem like a good idea, but in any event it seemed unlikely that would ever happen.

The clash of wood had brought spectators from the rest of the workshop, all gathered at a safe distance from the proceedings. Some looked astonished at the apparent mismatch, one or two had witnessed Garia's duel with Jarwin and proceeded to correct their fellows' mistaken assumptions. Keren looked on with interest, since he had heard Garia describe quarterstaffs previously and wanted to see what was involved. Merek's emotions swung between anxiety over Garia's safety and an unexpected fatherly pride over the things she seemed able to accomplish.

It dawned on Haflin after a while that Garia was playing with him. He hadn't touched her at all. Despite his best efforts, she had managed to touch him - sometimes painfully, despite his strength and fitness - on both knees, both shoulders and both elbows plus a jab at one of his thighs. Her face showed the same concentration as it had when the bout had started. Eventually he decided that he had had enough and backed away, flinging the staff to the floor.

"Enough, milady!" he growled. "You have made your point. Painfully so." He stared at her with a kind of wonder. What kind of people were hers, that even the girl children were trained as warriors? "And now, perhaps, I shall make mine."

Garia brought her staff to the vertical and made a bow at Haflin. He nodded a response and turned, stamping off through the crowd of onlookers. The glance he gave them made them slink away back to their appointed tasks. The party looked at each other, wondering what Haflin intended.

"A brave display, milady," Merek murmured. "I thought Master Haflin expert in all weapons, it seems I was mistaken."

"It won't take him long, captain," she replied. "Someone like that doesn't take well to coming off second best at anything."

"As you say, Garia," Keren said, but anything further was cut off by Haflin's return.

In his hand he had a bunch of sheathed swords, which he put down with a clatter on a bench to the side. He spread them out and selected one, tossing it to Garia. She caught it, but it was so heavy she could barely keep both ends off the floor at once.

"That is my own sword, milady," Haflin said. "You could not wield such a weapon, it is impossible. You are just not big enough. Give it to His Highness, try this one instead."

Keren gave a grunt as he took the weight of that huge sword, but Garia's attention was on the next one to arrive. This one seemed not so heavy, and she looked down at the jeweled hilt and the silver wire decorating the scabbard.

"Aren't you going to draw it, milady?" There was an edge to Haflin's voice, but there was humor in it as well. He was now on safe ground and apparently enjoying what was to come.

Garia took the hilt in her right hand, the top of the scabbard in her left, and started pulling. To her chagrin she found that her arms were simply not long enough to get the sword out of the scabbard! She looked up at Haflin in dismay.

"Now you begin to understand, milady," Haflin said. "I do not intend to be cruel, but a sword short enough for you to draw easily would be insufficient in battle. Here, return that one to me and I shall find you one more suitable to your size."

She handed the sword back, hilt first, which earned her a nod of approval, and in return he gave her a smaller sword.

"That was a sword I made for the Prince when he was much younger," he told her. "It was his first real sword, when he began his training with the guard. You use a much larger one now, don't you, Highness?"

This sword came free at the first attempt, and it was obvious to Garia that it was shorter than she might have wished it to be. It was disturbingly light in weight as well. Holding the scabbard behind her in her left hand, she gently began moving the sword around to find its balance. Haflin's eyes flickered as he realized that she was familiar with the weapons, but his opinion of her had already undergone a change following the staff fight.

She took a stance or two and flicked the sword about in what she hoped looked authentic positions. In truth, the use of swords during her martial arts sessions had been cursory, just enough to familiarize everyone with them and to use them if they came to hand, not very likely of course in the modern United States. Of course, she was not now in the modern world any longer, and she had hoped to learn enough from the people around her to hold her own.

Haflin's eyes narrowed. "Hmm. Milady, I may have been too harsh on you, misjudging your reach. We may be able to find a slightly larger sword that you would be able to draw. However, even if we did so there would be another obstacle to you wearing such a weapon. If you would permit me to demonstrate?"

He took the swords off Garia and Keren and lightly tossed them back on the bench before lifting a leather strap from a hook on the wall. Threading this through the top of the scabbard of the small sword he came to Garia and buckled it around her waist.

"Hmm! Such a tiny waist, milady." He grinned at her from where he squatted. Even bent down he was higher than she was. "You would need a sword belt specially made, I think, but this will demonstrate the problem."

The problem was that the sword dragged along the ground, even with Garia holding the slack of the belt with her right hand to pull the scabbard as high as it would go. Her heart sank. This was ridiculous, she was just too short! Yet again she wished that it had been a boy that had arrived here, and yet again she wondered whether her problems would have been greater, not less. Reluctantly, she unbuckled the belt and handed it back to Haflin.

"I admit I was wrong about you, milady," he said. "It seems I must pay more attention to what is happening within the palace, and less to the rumors out here in the smithy. However, I regret that I will not be able to fit you with a sword, at least not in the style we use them here in the Valley. Do you not wear such a sword in your own land, milady? Since you appear familiar with them, how are they hung from the body, for one of such a size as yourself?"

"It's... complicated, Master Haflin. On Earth, the world I come from, I had a somewhat larger body than I do here." Haflin's eyes widened. "The problem I have here would not exist back there. I had hoped... never mind." She straightened, then gave him a curtsey. "Master Haflin, thank you for your time. Perhaps we had better leave you to your work."

Haflin gave a big bow with a flourish. "Thank you, milady. I have learned something new today, and I hope that I may learn more in future, with your permission. And the items for your frayen, I will get them started immediately. Highness, Captain, with your leave."

The party turned to go, and then Garia turned back.

"Master Haflin, it occurs to me that you look familiar, although I know we have never met before. Might you be related to... Guildmaster Hurdin, by any chance?"

Haflin's grin broke out again. "Why yes, Lady Garia! He is my little brother. It is from him that I have heard much about yourself." A frown came. "Though, from what I have experienced here today, it seems he knows less of you than perhaps I believed he did." The grin returned. "I will have much to say about the matter, next time we meet!"

~o~O~o~

Once the party had made their way through the corridors to the Large Training Room, they found Robanar and Terys waiting for them. They all bowed or curtseyed as appropriate and then Robanar explained why they were there.

"Milady Garia, it seems that events move with speed whenever you are involved. Captain Bleskin informs us that you have a natural affinity with our frayen, and we have come to observe the results for ourselves. Will our presence disturb your practice today?"

Garia looked at the dozen or so retainers, servants and maids who accompanied the royal couple.

"Sire, I do not believe so. I would ask that your party keep from making any loud noises, though. This is only the third day that I will have worked with Snep, and he may be nervous with so many extra people in here."

"As you say, Garia. We will keep ourselves near the doorway and content ourselves with watching you."

"Thank you, Sire."

The room was much brighter this afternoon. At the previous session the central candelabra had been lit, this time all five were aglow, making the room seem different than before. True to their word, Robanar and Terys kept their party against the wall as Garia walked slowly into the middle of the room. In a corner near the outside doors a small group of her guards stood. No, cancel that, Garia realized that all were present for the first time. Obviously word had spread about the King's appearance today. Standing with her guards stood Snep, his reins held by Feteran. Stopping in the center of the room, Garia called softly to the guardsman she considered her de facto second-in-command.

"Feteran! Just drop Snep's reins, would you? Let's see what he will do."

Feteran dropped the reins in such a way that the frayen noticed the occurrence. His head swung about, trying to work out whether this was just a mistake or something else. Finally, puzzled, he turned his head and looked straight at Feteran, who just grinned back at the animal.

"Off you go, boy!" he said quietly.

The frayen's legs began to tremble. For several years he had been a beast of the Royal Guard, and he had become used to being treated in a certain way. Now, for a short period, he had been treated differently and he was uncertain what to do. Finally Garia called softly to him.

"Snep! Come."

His ears pricked up and he located Garia in the middle of the room. The strange one, who smelled different! Slowly he walked forwards, his head swaying slightly from side to side. As he approached Garia she turned slightly so that they were no longer face to face. He gently nuzzled her, reassuring himself with the familiar smell. She opened a hand and there was a small sweet vegetable treat, which he promptly and very carefully took from her.

She spoke quietly to him. He did not understand a word of what she said, but the tone was relaxing, reassuring. His head came up to face hers, they looked full into each other's eyes, and then he turned and looked at the saddle on his back. If she sat there, he would look after her and she would look after him. Would she do it?

"Good boy, Snep."

Garia went to the side and made her undignified way up and into the saddle. Once settled and with the inadequate skirt deployed as best as she could, she started Snep walking around the room. When they passed the royal party she spoke quietly to him and he carried on smoothly. She clucked and they moved up to a trot, the familiar rhythm coming easily to both of them. She eased into the simple series of exercises she had thought up two days before.

Robanar watched the show with interest. That girl can ride better than I can. I'll rephrase that, almost everybody can ride better than I can these days. I don't get out enough any more. That girl can ride better than I could at the same age. She makes it look so effortless! But, if she's been riding maybe eight years one might expect that. Still, I'm going to find it very hard to refuse her if I have to. In terms of ability, I do not think I can refuse her. The real question, then, is the effect on society as Bleskin suggested. It doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned, the girl is going to make so many changes this one is not necessarily that important. As always, I'll have to leave matters like this to Terys's judgment.

"Terys?" he murmured. "Your opinion?"

"Wait till she finishes, dear. This is fascinating."

They watched Garia's display in silence then. She wheeled and trotted, backed and walked as though she had ridden frayen since birth. She even got Snep up into a canter for a brief period, limited as she was by the dimensions of the big room. Finally, after a slow walk round the perimeter to cool both of them down, she reined Snep in before the royal party and ducked her head, a huge smile on her flushed face.

"Milady Garia," Robanar said warmly, "that was as good a display of ridership as I have seen lately. Shall you dismount?"

"Sire."

She slid out of the saddle, and then, ignoring the royal party, spoke quietly into Snep's ear and fed him another tidbit before turning back to the King.

"You have a natural ability, it seems, dear," Terys told her.

Garia gave a wry smile. "Not so natural, ma'am. Just years of practice, and I'm glad I started early. I spent a lot of time falling off when I first learned to ride. These animals," she patted Snep's neck, "aren't so different than horses, now I've had a chance to compare. And I'm used to treating them a different way than you do here, ma'am. It doesn't take much, but it makes a big difference to how they treat us in the end."

"Bleskin?" Robanar said. "Merek? Are you two taking note of what she's doing?"

"Aye, Sire, we are," Merek replied. "There is very little difference, it is true, but we are always willing to make changes when that will improve our effectiveness. Because of Milady Garia's size and... ahem! shape, she will require a specially made saddle. It also seems that her people use a different kind of stirrup. We have this afternoon visited Master Haflin to order a pair."

Robanar frowned. "Haflin? Should you not have consulted the saddler?"

"These new stirrups will be made of iron, Sire. And, once they are made, Milady Garia has suggested that a different placement will make for safer travel and more control over the animal. We will experiment when we have them, Sire."

"Very good, Merek. Carry on."

"Sire." Merek hesitated. "While we were at Master Haflin's forge, there was a disagreement concerning a blade for Milady Garia. In the course of the argument, Milady Garia gave us a display of a new fighting technique, this time using only the shafts of spears."

"Another way of fighting?" Robanar's raised an eyebrow as he turned to Garia. "What have you been doing now, milady?"

She grinned impudently back at him. "Sire, he had not seen me in action, and did not believe that my request for a sword was serious. I had to show him that I was serious. I believe that I succeeded in my attempt, Sire."

"You will no doubt give us a demonstration of this... stick-fighting, I take it?"

"Of course, Sire. We call them quarter-staffs. Once I have trained someone else how to do it, that is."

Robanar nodded. "When you are ready, Milady Garia. And did you procure a sword while you were there?"

Garia's face fell. "No, Sire. It seems I am too small to carry one big enough to fight with. I do not have an answer to that problem, Sire."

"Not to worry, dear," Terys soothed. "There will always be men with you who can wield a sword on your behalf. With so many other accomplishments to your name, to miss one would not be such a tragedy."

"No, ma'am. But..." Garia hesitated. These people didn't have the same kind of drive she did. Was that an American thing? Was it that essential that she could use a sword? She sighed. Perhaps the Queen was right. "As you say, ma'am."

"Have you finished here, milady?" Robanar asked her.

"Yes, Sire."

"Then, once you have cleared away and tidied yourself up, perhaps you would present yourself at my parlor. There is time for us to discuss this before dinner. Keren, Bleskin, Merek? That includes you."

"My dear," Terys added. "We shall also require Mistress Rosilda, who I see standing there. Garia, you did want her here this afternoon to discuss riding attire, did you not?"

"Yes, ma'am, I did."

"Then I think it might be better if we met in my sitting room, don't you, dear?"

Robanar shrugged. To him one room was much the same as another.

"Then we shall see you all presently."

~o~O~o~

Rosilda, having been taken into palace service at a young age, had very little experience of frayen, so she stayed with Garia a while in the Large Training Room discussing possible solutions to her clothing problem, always assuming Garia was given the go-ahead to ride. Keren, while the girls talked, had crossed the room and spent the time describing Garia's encounter with Haflin to her guardsmen, ably assisted by Captain Merek. Finally, everyone dispersed, Keren, Garia, Merizel and Rosilda heading for the household suite so that Keren and Garia could change for their meeting. Finally they took chairs in the Queen's Sitting Room in front of the waiting monarchs.

"Let's get started, then," Robanar began. "We're here to either permit Milady Garia to ride frayen or to refuse her. If we permit her then it follows that she will eventually be seen in public, and the consequences will be that other women will also wish to ride frayen. Now, women do not normally ride frayen except in chairs, and so there might be a great public outcry when they see her, or others like her, riding as a man would. If we consider that the outcry would become damaging to society, then I would be forced to deny her the right to ride as a man does. Bleskin, now that you have seen her ride, what is your opinion?"

"Sire, the fears I originally had are completely unfounded. Milady Garia informs me that any woman would refrain from riding when Kalikan called, or at the very least take suitable precautions. There are details to be considered concerning saddles, stirrups and suchlike but these are only practical matters. I cannot advise what might happen when she is seen in public, Sire, but from the way I saw her ride today I have few fears for what society might say."

"And you, Merek?"

"Sire, I can only echo Captain Bleskin's words. I only wish some of our guardsmen rode as well as milady does."

Robanar gave one of his characteristic grunts. "She tells us she has had many years of practice, Merek." He nodded thoughtfully. "I am of the same mind as yourselves. Keren, anything to add?"

"No, father. Captain Bleskin did point out that, since the area around Blackstone is rough country, it might be an advantage to be able to travel by pack animal. In such a case it might help if Garia could ride."

"And what of the other women?" Terys asked him. "Do you suggest that even Jenet should learn to ride?"

Keren shrugged helplessly. "No, mother. We had no answer to that puzzle."

"Ma'am?" Jenet spoke up. "If I may?"

"Yes, Jenet?"

"There is no reason why those of us who do not wish to learn to ride, or who cannot for whatever reason, might still travel by using the chairs as we always have done, ma'am."

Keren slapped a hand to his forehead. "Obvious!" He turned towards Garia. "Did you reach that conclusion as well?"

"I hadn't, Keren, no. I'm sure someone would have reminded us, though."

Robanar cleared his throat to attract attention. "It seems that in your own minds you have already decided that Garia shall be permitted to ride. Very well, I shall give you my approval, but I must caution you all that this could be a sensitive subject within the city." He gave a hard smile. "Even a King may change his mind from time to time. Garia, how shall you be attired, should you ride in public?"

Garia flushed. "Uh, Sire, I have spoken today with Rosilda and we have come up with a few ideas. Do you really want us to discuss them now?"

Terys broke in smoothly. "That will be all right, dear. Let the men finish and then we can talk clothing amongst ourselves." Did Garia imagine it, or was there a twinkle in the Queen's eye?

"As you wish, ma'am."

"Bleskin, Merek," Robanar asked, "are you two happy for Garia to exercise her frayen with the other guardsmen?"

Merek grinned. "Aye, Sire, we are. Perhaps some of them may even learn from her. I look forward to the end of the rains when we may practice outside on the field."

"Then," Robanar said, turning his attention to Garia, "I must insist that you wear some sturdy headgear, milady. What is contained within that pretty little head of yours is too precious for it to be lost by some stupid accident. Do I make myself clear?"

"You do, Sire," Garia said. "Rosilda and I had already thought about the matter."

"Good," Robanar said, nodding. "If everyone is content, then I think we have wasted enough of Bleskin and Merek's time, don't you? You are dismissed, gentlemen."

"Thank you, Sire."

The two captains rose, saluted, and left. Robanar and Keren stood, ready to follow them, but Keren hesitated when they reached the door.

"Father," he said, stopping, "When Garia first rode Snep, two days ago, Bleskin made a strange comment. He said that only my mother could have handled a beast as well as she did. How is that possible? I didn't know any women rode as men do."

"What's that, son? I don't know what you're talking about." Robanar turned towards the Queen. "Terys? Explain, if you can."

Terys sighed, but there was a smug look on her face. "Sit down, dear, there are things I have to tell you."

The two men resumed their seats, and then Terys began.

"Do you remember, dear, when Keren was about eight, we went to stay with Gilbanar and Vivenne in their drafty old castle? You and Gilbanar took Keren and Terinar off hunting in the mountains for nearly two weeks, if you recall, leaving Vivenne and I at home with Elizet, Malann and Korizet."

"When Keren was eight, you say? Oh, yes! Gilbanar bagged the biggest zinakh I have ever seen! Yes, I remember, what about it?"

"Bleskin couldn't go, he'd injured his ankle, that's why he remembered what had happened. Well, dear it's like this. We all rode frayen, not just within the castle, but for a few marks round about, as well."

"All of you?" Robanar blanched. "Even the girls?"

"Yes, dear. There weren't enough chairs, but we didn't want to use them anyway. It seems that for some reason, frayen respond much better to the voice of a woman than to that of a man. So I'm not surprised that Garia can handle Snep so well, though I suppose having all that riding experience helped. I have always thought that women should ride in the same way as a man, but apparently custom in this part of the Valley prevents it. So, now that Garia has arrived, perhaps we have an opportunity to bring matters into the open, so to speak." Terys shifted her gaze. "Merizel, you have also ridden, I believe."

"Me?" Merizel blushed. "Uh, ma'am, actually I have ridden frayen, when I was much younger. There have been two floods when it was impossible to ride our lands any other way. It was not something that anyone wanted to make widely known, though. When we were all dressed up in our waterproof clothing it was easy to disguise ourselves."

Of course! In the rains, everyone looks exactly the same, don't they? No wonder Merizel had gotten away with it.

Robanar looked angry. "Is there any woman in Palarand who hasn't ridden a frayen?" The maids, as one, all curtseyed. Robanar glared at them. "I meant - never mind." He accused Terys, "So, you were in favor of Garia riding from the start, then?"

"I thought that if she could - after all, a frayen is not the same as a horse, as she kept telling us - if she could, it might provide a suitable method for allowing women to ride openly. After all, we can all say that it is a new fashion introduced from Earth by our newest daughter, can't we?"

Robanar glared at Terys, and she smiled beatifically back at him. Eventually he gave up and stamped to his feet.

"Keren, will you join me? For some reason I need a drink."

"As you wish, father," Keren said as he stood, but behind his father's back he gave his mother a quick grin. "In the parlor, do you think?"

Terys watched the two men in her life leave the room and close the door, and then leaned forward, her face alight.

"So, Garia. Tell me what you and Rosilda have decided the fashionably-dressed woman rider will be wearing around Palarand in future!"

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Swords and armor

I think, that Garia can solve sword obstacle, if she only remebered historic Japan and Arabian. The answer for her small height could be wearing sword not by the hip, but across her back. As for problems with drawing due to lenght of sword, curved swords like sabre or katana should solve the problem. If not there is still option of kodachi and wakizashi, also she could try to introduce double wielding combinations like two daggers, swords or sword and dagger.
And does Paraland know how to smith low carbon steel weapons like dalmatic or old japan steel, by way of folding during forging?
BTW, what style of armor paraland uses? I´ve seen you introduced full plate europian knight armor, but what about lighter lamellar or scaled armors? There much more flexible and lighter to wear. And I won´t mention less hotter during summer. True, it doesn´t protect very well against crossbow darts (not even plate armor could from near), but against bows and swords it does really reasonable job.

Swords and armor

Don't worry, it's all in hand.

Some of the information you need has already been given, a long time ago ;)

It will be a chapter or two before the situation resolves itself, though.

- A point: Even if you strap a sword across your back, the length of blade you can pull is still limited by the length of your arm. Remember also, females in general have narrower shoulders than males, and this affects their reach.

Thank you for reading,

Penny

Add a magic XD

You can always add a magic element XD. For example, take a look at Son Goku´s (Sun Wu-Kung) staff - it can change its lenght by his will XDDD The story already goes to way of steampunk, so why not magic steampunk?

I wouldent consider it

I wouldent consider it steampunk myself, its just industrial revolution technology.

Steampunk

It had occurred to me that Anmar will, within a decade or two, look a whole lot like a steampunk novel. After all, steampunk kind of shows us what we could have done with Victorian technology if we had thought of it.

I can see her filling many sheets of paper with drawings and descriptions of things like airships, airplanes, trains, automobiles, airplanes, washing machines, kitchen appliances, escalators, elevators, cable cars, aquaducts, power tools, sewing machines, stoves with good draft control for the cleaner burning of coal, water wheels, plows and other farm technology, and especially safety equipment.

There were lots of deaths and maimings in our change from an agrarian to an industrial economic base. I can see her being very insistent about guards, eye protection, and safety equipment. Some of the old factories I have seen (in pictures and museums) were quite frightening. OSHA would have saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of grief.

By the way, she's going to have a hard time withholding explosive technology. Dynamite has always been quite the mainstay in mining.

Speaking of coal mining, she really needs to warn them about black lung and dust explosions.

Steampunk

Sounds good, looks good. I didn't have anything like that in mind when I thought up this crazy idea, but logically you're right. I doubt you'll see much resembling steampunk in the story, though, as the 'technology' would take time to develop and mature.

Additionally, part of what Garia is doing, consciously or otherwise, will jump society over some steps of the Victorian Age (I think). So you won't actually get Steampunk as we know it here, but something similar, perhaps.

As for all the gadgets, yes, that is something she will try to do. Even if they won't be able to make various items for fifty years yet, the fact that such items are known to be possible is one heck of an incentive. That's basically the function of the Council of the Two Worlds: to act as an archive and pass out the tech as and when it can be safely made use of.

Penny

Steampunk

Maybe it'll look more like Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang.

:-)

This is a wonderful tale, and one that just keeps getting better. Thank you.

S Penguin

Distant Sunshine

As always, an excrllent story!

I look forward with anticipation to seeing this story each week. Garia's adventures are always interesting and usually fun to read about. Her duel was very interesting, if predictable. I look forward to seeing Garia overcome her limitation regarding the sword-I was thinking along the same lines as Robin, but I will gladly wait to see how you handle it.

Again, as always, I want more! Well done!

Wren

Another great chapter

The story gets better & better! Great characters and interactions. I wonder about Garia carrying a sword on her back as some warriors do.

Sheaths and reach

Remember that some sheaths are hinged to open length wise, and the reach of a person is the width of both arms so if Garia had the sword sheathed and on a strap over the shoulder, crossed like many women wear straps for purses she could pull a much longer sword from the sheath. Plus a different style of sword, say a cavalry sabre is both long and light compared to a bastard, or long sword, giving speed and maneuverability over heavy striking power, something she doesn't have anyway.

Draflow

sheath

Sadarsa's picture

I think given the old European setting that a Rapier,saber, or short sword would be fine. A Katana would be perfect for her, but i doubt they are capable of making one.

A sideways back Sheath would also help(where the sheath is horizontal and sits at the lower back), simply drawing the sword, then sweeping across the body would add considerable drawing distance.

by that i mean if your right handed, have the hilt of the sword on the left side. Draw outwards with the left hand and sweep in front of the body. Then grab with the right hand to finish the draw.

Sounds hard, but really after only doing it 2-3 times it's both easy and fast. This is the method a Tachi is drawn btw ( Tachi = Massive 2-handed katana for those that dont know- it's also known as a Dai-Katana)

Edit: would only work with a curved blade

--SEPARATOR--

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Sheesh ;)

Now I have to go research swords...

Penny

Just remember

Just remember that a long thin sword will help her make her point... Her point! Oh well it was worth a try.

Draflow

I shall mourn the loss of the Side Saddle.

Of course such an accessory was never used in Paraland, and that is such a pity. With my modifications, I doubt that I could tolerate the use of a Western Saddle, unless I um had a husband to suitably massage the um red area. Good heavens, I can scarcely ride a bike with a razor saddle; my um great red gash becomes quite sensitive. I am thinking of a recumbent bicycle to avoid such an issue in the future.

I am not entirely committed to Garia having women doing all the things that men do, having grown quite accustomed to my position of privilege and I rather enjoy getting what I want with a sensuous voice and the wiggling of various body parts. And I look forward with keen anticipation to owning my own male to pin me in the bed chamber and make me squeal in delight.

But, that is just me. :)

Gwendolyn

Side Saddle?

Sadarsa's picture

The shock! the horror! i will never ever ever ever ride in that acutely uncomfortable way ever ever again!

To say that anyone prefers it boggles my mind... not to mention it's actually MORE dangerous to ride that way.

and you can forget a full gallop... I've never seen anyone ride side saddle in a trot or gallop! (i'd fear a trot)

As far as to what women should or should not do... frankly i think that is a call that should be made by the individual. Garia is not saying that "this is what women should do" she's simply saying that it is what they CAN do. It is entirely up to them as to how they conduct themselves. Not ALL women feel that they should be submissive -kept- women.
--SEPARATOR--

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Saddle Up!

I learned to ride when young, using an appropriately-sized western saddle, a much superior saddle for both horse and rider, compared to those foppish "posting" saddles the Brits seem to prefer.

Later on in life, after my plumbing was reorganized I chanced to do some riding, again with a western saddle, and experienced no problems, other than the 'haven't ridden in years and god do I HURT!' problem.

In fact there is a physiological reason why women are the best barrel-racers. We have fewer things to get pinched. ;-) I get that information from an impeccable source, a former championship barrel-racer and rodeo queen that taught me to ride.

I've never touched a sidesaddle. In fact, in Oklahoma I only ever saw a sidesaddle in a Western museum.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Saddles

Side saddles? Er, no, thanks. Looks extremely dangerous not to mention really uncomfortable.

Bike saddles? I long ago gave up men's style saddles, my pelvis is the wrong shape. Modern women's gel saddles are a whole different animal.

If you really have trouble with such devices, then there used to be a saddle which consisted of two separate oval pads, each of which supported one buttock, and independantly articulated so they moved as one pedalled. Don't know if they're still available.

Rest assured, Garia won't be doing all that she thinks she can. She's only been there two months so far, and while 'Gary' is still in there somewhere she is beginning the process of assimilation, both as an Anmarese and as a woman. Interesting times ensue?

Penny

Speaking of bicycles...

It would be interesting if Garia introduced them to the bike. To convince someone to make one, she would have to convince them that it is possible to balance on two wheels. Of course, they are learning not to doubt her.

But first...

...you need decent road surfaces! IIRC, only the most intensively used roads are paved, and then it's probably with crushed stone - much as what we did with UK roads before asphalt (and probably not as resilient as the Roman roads of 1,400 years previous).

While the metal components of a bicycle shouldn't be too hard to manufacture, there's the trickier issue of pneumatic tyres. We don't know if there are any rubber trees in Palarand, and I'm pretty sure Garia wouldn't have a clue how to vulcanise it.

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Bikes

Pneumatic tires would be nice, but simple wagon wheels coated with some kind of a high friction substance (like the raincoat sealant stuff) would work. The tires should be somewhat soft, so maybe rags with leather fastened over it would work.

And yes, bikes are definitely nicer on a paved road. On the other hand, people do ride on hard packed dirt, rocks, and sometimes even sand and gravel.

After that, try putting a small steam engine on a bicycle. It would be great for couriers, scouts, and the like.

As you say

Pneumatic tires would be nice, just for the softer ride. However, a spring suspension would do a fairly good job, even with hard wheels. Where my father built our house was very much on the edge of the city. While annexed by the city, little else had been done other than adding basic utilities. The "streets" were little better than oil lease roads, but it didn't slow us kids down any. Flat land was flat land, whether it was lease roads, former county section line gravel roads, or even former open prairie land, we kids on our single speed, coaster brake, balloon-tired Schwinn bikes rode everywhere!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

All this saddle discussion

Reminds me of a throwaway line made by a character in Heinlein's works. Goes like this: "Forty Miles In the Saddle" by Major Assburns. :-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Better n' better

This just keeps getting better n' better!

Fluffy

A curved Katana

A curved Katana acrossed the back with the grip hanging down at the left hip side may be drawn without having to reach over your shoulder with a spin of the body toward the right.
Resulting with stepping out of the way of the opponent and drawing and slashing as the blade comes back around.
Makes for a rude interruption!
The complete turn must be done quickly

Oh my!

Another demonstration of unarmed combat, an impromptu demonstration of use of a quarterstaff, and the revelation that Garia's not the only female in Palarand to have ridden a frayen - with a significant number of Ladies in the court having ridden them directly (as opposed to mounted above them in a chair). Poor Robinar - not only finding Garia cleared to ride by his staff, but finding out his wife has an ulterior motive! I bet court life has never been so exciting! :)

Now Garia's already got the maids interested in Tai Chi - I wonder if she'll be able to get them interested in saddle riding before the trip up to Blackstone :)

As for scabbards for a long sword, perhaps go with a shoulder belt with a partial sheath - so the bottom end of the sword is covered, together with a strap near the hilt than can be undone with just a thumb and forefinger - that way, she'd only need to physically withdraw the sword to the length of the partial scabbard, then swing it over her head. But then again, would she need a sword that long - with her knowledge of tactics (as demonstrated multiple times) she may be able to get away with a shorter sword should the need arise, which would have the added advantage of being quicker and easier to withdraw and bring into action.

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Swords

I've found the comments for this chapter quite interesting, as most readers have focused on the sword problem and barely mentioned all the other interesting and quite significant things happening!

Thank you for assisting the balance! I'm afraid I can't really comment on most of what you have said but I'm glad someone has their eyes open!

However, I will add something on the sword issue, and that is that most people seem to have the idea that the longer the sword, the better. Not if you're barely five feet high, it isn't. That could be seen as a kind of male response to the problem. Discuss? :)

There are answers, one of which is the Indiana Jones one - if someone threatens you with fancy sword-play, pull out your revolver and shoot him! Well Garia can't do that here, but there are certainly solutions she can use which don't involve her lugging a long piece of iron about with her.

Patience, grasshopper!

Penny

The other Indy solution...

...a whip. After all, they tend to be even longer than a sword and can be coiled up when not in use, therefore minimising storage space. Although it's very unlikely they'd be able to kill someone (unless the ends were laced with a poison) they could still inflict damage from well outside striking distance and possibly even disarm a swordsman.

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

okay, fine!

Like the swords you mentioned, you drew me out. Great story that keeps getting better. Don't know how you do it :)
Looking at the swords from a martial aspect, what about a katana/wakizashi sword style? Lisa is 5'3" and has no issues drawing a katana that is a shade over 2 feet (had it modified by a scadian smith) and can draw it quickly if need be, although not in self defense yet (hopefully never). And the smaller wakizashi would be useful for infighting if used properly. anyways, great story and looking forward to more!
Diana

ps sorry if I spelled wakizashi wrong

wakizashi

Sadarsa's picture

nope you spelled it right, but the sword is really about the same length as a Sai. A dagger would be better suited for in fighting. Coupled with hand-to-hand fighting, dual-weilding simple paring knives is devistating.

Think of the snake stance, now simply add a small knife in your plams. have the blade pointing out from the middle finger. Have the handel wedged against the heel of your palm, and then cup the knife with your thumb.. locking the blade in place. Do this with both hands and the snake stance becomes very very dangerous.

--SEPARATOR--

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Poor Robinar

It seems he's learning that women can be formidable in thier own way. Lol.

Somewhere Else Entirely -42-

Haflin? Sounds like a play on the word halfling.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Names

Actually, it's been quite tricky making up names for this story, especially as I've come to realize I need so many of the things. As it happens, Haflin wasn't one of my better ideas, but he got mentioned ages ago so I had to stick with him.

There are rules which I'm using to make the local names (and I've broken them already, of course), and this has the slight effect of limiting the ways Consonents and Verbs can be combined to make them. Now I have another problem: we'll be hearing about certain foreigners shortly (no, not Yod) and I'll have to think of a whole new naming system for them as well...

Another problem is that I need so many names, quite often for only one or two mentions. Since most people in the Valley (with the exception of Those of Yod) have a single name, this makes life (for me) quite interesting. I have to try and make the names 'interesting' without overloading the reader. Still, it all seems to be working so far.

I'm pleased that you are still enjoying the story.

Penny

Edit: I'm sure Halfin is nearer an Ogre than a Halfling... of course, he is merely human.

"of course, he is merely human"

Of course. Except we've already established that there are notable differences, while small, between Earth humans and Anmar humans. So, what does "merely human" mean, exactly?

Merely Human

Ah, he has the same number of arms, legs, eyes, gizzards, etc as the rest of us. Nothing untoward ought to be implied here.

Perhaps I could have phrased my off-hand remark a little more carefully.

Penny

Merely human

"Look at you Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bones, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?..."
or Do not ever understimate your enemies. I am really curious about those foreigners, dragons and Yod maniacs XD You´ve caught me, hook and sinker. ;-P

Names

In a society like Palarand I would imagine there are going to be names that are quite common that many people will have the same name. Typically, in societies with single names an added appellation gets tacked on. Some examples just from our own naming conventions. John the Carpenter, the Tanner, the Smith. If we go with a French example, I will demonstrate with my character name in a Pendragon RPG that I participated in, Sir Aaron de Thury which translates to Sir Aaron of Thury. Then, you also have the son of and daughter of methods. These are just some of the many means of distinguishing one person with the same name as someone else.

So, I would suggest for minor characters that you see a need to give names for you should come up with a list of reusable common names for these characters. Save the unique names for your major characters. In fact, just in the Palace Guard based just on my service in the U.S. Army there would be quite a few Guardsmen with the same name. Some probably assigned to the same File.

Also, Garia could mention that her full name, if she were to utilize the naming conventions she is used to is actually Lady Garia Campbell of Clan Campbell, Baroness of Blackrock. Well, she might not mention Clan Campbell but I probably would if it were me but it would be Garia MacKinnon of Clan MacKinnon...

Oh, and don't ask why because I don't know why but for some reason 3 months ago I started writing down every name you have used so far in this story. And yes, when I say write I mean with a pen on paper.

Names

In addition , up until sometime in the 1700's Jr Sr only meant one was older and one younger and not a father son or any family relationship.

More Riding Please!

terrynaut's picture

I love the scenes with Snep. It was great seeing a little bit of Snep's perspective too - nuzzling the one who smells different. That was a very nice touch.

It was funny when the women surprised Robanar about riding. I can't wait to see more of Garia's feminist ways take hold in Paraland.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Riding

Well, with luck we'll get a ride North, so there will be a whole lot more of that to consider.

Although this is Garia's tale, I have tried to make sure we have a little idea what other characters think, because that helps explain from a different perspective. I didn't want to overdo that though, the story is quite long enough as it is!

Penny

long enough

I surely don´t mind it. If it will become the size of Wheel of Time I won´t mind even, though I think Easy as falling of Bike, might be already there... or at least third way, certainly. Horses are interesting theme, so I like that frayen are so much like them. Bring in more of not only Garia but Marion&Belle too!

I keep waiting for the time

I keep waiting for the time when Garia will see something she doesn't know and makes a comment such as "Why it's so obvious, I wonder why no one on earth has ever thought of it?" It would have to be concerning some subject that Garia is fairly knowledgeable about. Of course it could be the case that it was knowledge that was lost on earth over the centuries such as in some of the dying arts.

Michelle B

Nobody Remembered The Gladius

joannebarbarella's picture

The standard Roman military sword was the gladius, and later the spatha. A typical gladius was about 22 t0 24 inches long, the spatha came in between 28 inches and 36 inches, the latter being obviously too big for Garia, but I would think she could handle a gladius. Your typical Roman legionary was about 5' 2" tall until they started using foregn auxiliaries like Spaniards and Gauls.

Anyway, another great chapter and it was a nice touch having Terys and the ladies deceiving the men for years...what is called in Australia "secret womens' business",

Joanne

Men

Ha, seeing a man realizing he is in a losing battle and frustrated knowing that he is going to lose no matter what to me is pretty funny!

It's great to be able to say to a man without having to say it. "I knew you would see it my way" and get away with it lol!

I have to wonder if she will have a special sword made within a break apart staff? It would be easier to carry around and being hidden would make for a great surprise to any aggressor.

Oh well, just have to wait and see what kind of surprise she comes up with wont we lol.

women riders!

giggles.

DogSig.png

My kingdom for a saddle!

Cruising along doing the reread thing here. To start off with, I really didn't pay much attention when the first chapters were posted. It took me awhile to fall under the spell of Penny's story. So starting all over again seemed like a good idea.

Now, on to my pet hobby horse. Everyone seems so enamored of the English saddle these days. So be it. But I had ocassion to look into the design of saddles, and the English saddle is just not that great. Posting may look fancy to parade watchers, but it is hard on both the horse and the rider. For day in-day out riding and working from the back of a horse, the real champ is the western-style saddle. The saddle fits better on the horse, distributes the weight better, and holds the rider in place better. That is why it became the working saddle of the American West. Parts of it were designed with the working cowboy and his mount in mind, to make their life easier.

So if Garia's comes closer to a western saddle that will be a good thing for Palarand. I expect it will be, as that is likely the type of saddle his uncle used.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Riding

Keren will be a good king and Garia could be his warrior queen. I like how treating a frayed better means it treats you better. What about that ice box, and she needs to meet the elder daughters. There are still swords that would work.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

React differently

Jamie Lee's picture

When Garia was first introduced to the frayen she was told they were hard to deal with. And yet, when she met Snep, slap its nose after it tried to bite her, she had no trouble with the animal. Riding better than any of the guard. Why?

Two reasons given: they seem to react better to women's voices than men's voices; and when Garia gave her demonstration before the King and Queen when the captain dropped the reins Snep was confused what it was to do, until Garia called it and it went to her--receiving a treat in the bargain. Then there is when Garia went head over heels and chastened Snep and how it reacted.

These events show the frayen a much more gentler animal than first mentioned. And the have feelings, which Garia hurt after being thrown. These people are underestamating the frayen big time.

Temper tantrum from Rodanar? The cool and collect King? He revealed to be one of those who doesn't believe woman should ride like men, but sees it will happen sometime.

Just have Rosilda make Garia a split skirt that can still look like a skirt when not riding, and that will keep men from viewing woman bits.

Others have feelings too.

Frustration...

Can beset anyone. I'm not so sure that he (the king) didn't think women should ride, it was more that he was surprised that more women than Garia who is obviously not from anywhere near rode. And that he didn't know especially that Terrys rode... How could you keep such a thing secret? Adapting to a new country where it wasn't acceptable. Just never mention it... Until Garia was flung into the mix like a stick of dynamite into a logjam!

I Love...

Aine Sabine's picture

That last line! But I Love the whole chapter!

Wil

Aine