The Homestead - Book 1 - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

homestead_cabin.jpg

The Homestead

by: Anon Allsop
Book One - Part 3

Chapter 8

"No kidding? You saw him naked?" I whistled, "What did you do?"

Sam glared at me, "I did just what anyone would have done..."


*I screamed in surprise, as he realized that we were facing each other. He spun quickly, placing his chiseled backside toward me. I felt my heart race, as my eyes drank in the vision I had been so afraid to witness!

He quickly dashed behind the steps, "Damn, Samantha! I didn't mean for that to happen!" He hid himself behind a small chest of drawers, "It ain't like I planned that! I just forgot!"

"Uh...I think I'll just head on to bed," I stammered, quickly ascending the stairs into the icy loft.

I made my way past the frozen clothing, and buried myself under the mountain of blankets...still fully clothed. With only my nose and mouth sticking out, I closed my eyes, blocking out my frozen breaths, forming tiny clouds of vapor.

I froze, teeth chattering viciously throughout the night. Numbed into a stupor brought on by the intense cold of the room.*


"That must have been pretty rough for you to see a grown man's...well, you know," I laughed.

"Seeing it was one thing; dreaming of it was something I didn't really expect!" Her face grew red and she looked away.

"You dream about seeing...it?" I asked, leaning against the table, my arms folded, elbows down.

"Oh...yes," she sighed. I watched her face, she closed her eyes slowly as she thought of the dreams, "The dreams were very vivid and I would like to keep them to myself if you don't mind. I would be too embarrassed to say what happened."

I smiled, "You ended up having sex...in your dream, didn't you?"

She ignored my comment, by continuing with the telling of her adventure...


*As the first hint of sunrise shone through the window, I threw back the covers and stumbled stiffly to the stairs. My numb fingers were unable to grasp the rail because of the extreme cold, and my feet were unfeeling and aching from the chill. I stepped down upon the first step, and fell the entire way to the floor. Instantly, Kodiak was beside me helping me to my feet clad only in his long, winter underwear.

"Good Lord, you're half frozen!" he gasped as he moved me toward the fire. "I knew I shouldn't have let you sleep up there last night!"

I tried to tell him that it was okay; however, my mouth was unable to form the words. He shook his head and scooped me up into his arms, carrying me to the bed by the fireplace. As he laid me down he began to examine my arms and fingers for injury, "Did you hurt anything?" he asked, but only chattering of my teeth could be heard.

"Don't try and talk!" he frowned, vigorously rubbing my hand with his own. "We got to get you warmed up!" He quickly spun and dropped a log into the glowing coals; using another he stirred the coals before tossing it onto the flames as well.

He bodily picked me up and placed me nearest the fire, upon the edge of the bed, up near his pillow. He then moved in behind me, covering us both with the thick blankets. "This is why I told you that you'd have to bunk up with me. Up here, in these mountains, it gets damn cold during the winter!"

I could say nothing; the chattering of my teeth was all that I could do. Slowly the great burning began in my fingers and feet, tears welled in my eyes from the pain. He noticed that I was crying. "Feeling it in your toes?" I nodded my answer. "That's good, means the blood is warming them up." We lay spooned like that for a long, long time, this mountain of a man and I.

Finally, I opened my eyes, finding myself alone in the bed. "How you feeling?" I heard, and quickly glanced to where the voice was coming from. Kodiak stood at the end of his bed, holding a plate of flapjacks. "Hungry?"

"I guess so," I replied, taking them from him. I ate a forkful and watched the fire dance upon a log as it burned. "Thanks for helping me, earlier."

He shrugged, "From now on, until the weather breaks...you'll have to sleep down here." I looked down at his narrow bed. "Don't worry, if I wanted to take advantage of you, I'd have done it when you couldn't defend yourself. It’s just...I ain't that kind of man. Besides, we'll put the beds together so you can keep your distance from me." His beard widened and his eyes twinkled as he smiled.

I realized that what he said was true. If he wanted to harm me, he had had ample opportunity since I have been alone with him. I nodded slowly, finally agreeing to share his warmth...and nothing else.

As I ate, he headed outside and was gone for quite awhile. By the time I was finally finished, there was still no sign of Kodiak. I began to make a pot of coffee, he would be frozen when he returned, I reasoned.

Finally, the door opened to a swirling storm of snow. He stamped his feet and set the wooden bucket on the floor. I quickly poured him a cup of coffee, and he gratefully took it from me and held it in his hands.

"That sure feels good on the old digits!" He brought it up to his mouth and blew across the surface, cooling it, before he took a long drink. "Looks like we got another storm a-brewing."

I looked out the frosted window, unable to see beyond the icy wheat patterns upon the glass. "The wind's picking up; blowing the snow that already fell. I'm guessing it'll be adding to it as well, probably becoming a regular blizzard real fast."

I groaned, hearing him say it, hating the cold like I did. "What will we need to do to prepare?" I asked, watching him drink the hot coffee. "I'll help...we'll get done faster."

He looked around the room, "Well, we'll need more water for coffee and cleaning, I guess you could fetch some for us." I placed the thick woolen bonnet upon my head, quickly tying it tightly under my chin. As I threw upon the shawl and thick fur cloak he pulled the washtub from the hook, "We'll fill this up for now, if need be, we'll use snow when it runs out."

I rolled my eyes and handed him the heavy bucket; he laughed and struck at the top of the bucket, breaking the ice that had frozen while he was outside. He poured the icy water into the large tub, then with a smile, handed me the emptied bucket. "Pretty...and ain't afraid to work." I smiled at his compliment and pushed past him for the door.

For almost an hour we worked; I filled the tub with fresh water, while Kodiak carried great load after load of firewood into the house. We paused only long enough to warm our insides with a hot, steaming cup of coffee. After that, the only time we stopped was when we ate a small bite of food for lunch.

When I finished, I moved on to helping him with the firewood. Soon enough, he said we could stop, and then we turned our attention to making sure the food was taken care of. Kodiak strung ropes from the house to the smokehouse, chicken coop and outhouse so we could find our way in the chance that we would need to get outside and the blizzard would block our visibility once we were away from the buildings.

I found another chicken that had died from the cold during the night, but Kodiak took it from me and quickly cleaned it. Meanwhile, I packed snow into the holes and cracks of the little coop. I gave them extra feed and water, should we become unable to return for a day or two. The water they quickly drank, perhaps because they knew it would be frozen over in a matter of minutes. I wasn't too worried; there would still be snow that got inside, no matter how much I filled the cracks. They would have that to consume, should they get thirsty.

I checked for eggs, but there were none. I couldn't blame them for not laying any, who would want to lay an egg in this weather? I heard a slight noise behind me, turned and suddenly, Kodiak forced open the door to the coop. Wind struck and stung at my face with an icy blast. "Come on inside, there's nothing more we can do now; the storms upon us!" His voice sounded far away, even though he was standing right beside me.

With all our strength, we fought back up the rope toward the cabin. The wind was almost too strong for me to stand, so Kodiak held me with one strong arm, preventing me from being blown away by the great gale.

The chicken coop was only around thirty feet from the house, but in that blizzard, it seemed like miles. The roar of the wind sounded like a lion as it swept down the mountain and through the little valley where the cabin was situated. Thankfully, the last few feet loomed close and I was ushered inside the cabin with the help of this huge mountain man.*

Chapter 9

"Then what?" I asked, feeling somewhat jealous of Kodiak, what with being snowed indoors with this beautiful girl for several days.

She held up her hand, as if asking me to hold my questions so she could continue...


*We sat upon the bed warming ourselves, completely spent from our exertion. I felt my eyes grow heavy and closed them for only a moment, when I again opened them; my head was cradled upon the pillow. Thankfully, I was once again rested and warm. It was inky dark outside; the wailing wind buffeted the house with its fury and scorn.

I continued to soak up the warmth of the bed, relishing in the heat my body had been permitted. I raised my eyes, sweeping my long hair from across my face. Just above my head, lay Kodiak's hand, fingers almost twice the size of my own. I rolled onto my back, his thick beard tickling my face as I moved, his other hand resting high upon my waist...he was asleep.

I glanced quickly down; he was dangerously close to the underside of my confined breast! I felt a shudder of terror race throughout my system, he was close...too close!

I stifled a gasp, 'Why should I be afraid him?' I asked myself silently, 'He has done nothing to warrant that fear! He has always acted the gentleman when I was around. Why should I expect anything different?' Still, I gently pushed his hand away, letting it drop to the bed behind me.

I again closed my eyes, and this time I felt I could appreciate the warmth that he shared.

When morning arrived, I opened my eyes slowly. My head was resting upon Kodiak's thick chest, and he was looking down at me. "I didn't want to disturb your sleep."

I slowly sat up and crawled from the bed, and then I tossed a log into the fire and stirred the coals. "I'll clean the ash from the pit as soon as I can get up," he said as he drew the covers up to his chest.

"I can do it!" I said, taking a small shovel and removing the spent ash. "I'm not some helpless female like you're probably used to!"

He smiled, "Now, that's the truth!" He rolled to his side, staying covered.

"You getting up?" I asked, depositing a shovel full of ash into a tin bucket.

He smiled wryly, "I don't think I'd better just yet."

I scowled, "You'd better be dressed under those covers!"

"I'm dressed." He sighed, and then under his breath, I could have sworn that he said, "Not that it did much good!"

"What was that?" I asked, hoping that he would repeat himself.

He smiled broadly, "I said, it was a good thing we brought in all that wood." As if to emphasize, he pointed to the long pile lining the wall.*

Chapter 10

I opened my eyes in surprise, "He was aroused?" I sat back against the chair, "You made him aroused...but...you said that you were a guy?"

"I know what I said! I couldn't help what happened; he was a guy alone with a girl! It would be only natural for something like that to eventually happen! My problem with it was that it was I who happened to be the girl!" She also leaned back against her chair.

"So what happened next?" I wondered aloud...


*For three long days that storm blasted against the cabin, but, for three days, we kept warm and snug inside that home. Even though we shared a single bed, we kept to ourselves while we slept.

Uncomfortably for me, I would find myself waking up with my head resting against his chest. I say 'uncomfortably', but I slept well, as if I were nestled upon a great, warm pillow. One day rolled into the next, soon the weeks piled upon each other. Our mutual agreement held: not once did he ever try to take advantage of our situation...and for that, I was thankful.

All throughout winter, it was the same routine. We would wake up, I would fix breakfast and we would do the inside chores, each of us taking an equal part. Sometimes when the weather would ease, we would venture outside and do what we had to do. But, each night found us sharing a bed. It was odd at first, but we soon became used to it.

After many long weeks, I became tired of the cabin. I just wanted to be off his cold mountain and back among the civilized world. It seemed like eons ago, that I was a mere boy playing or fishing. Now, I was trapped in this female form, unable to perform in the way I was used to, stuck here on a confounded mountain, with a giant behemoth of a man.

Kodiak could see that the isolation was getting to me during that long winter, and it became evident because of my melancholy attitude. Finally, once the spring snows began to melt away, he packed up a few of his wife’s old clothing and took me by the hand escorting me down his mountain.*


I sat studying her for a moment; she was quite beautiful even when I could tell that she was troubled. "So...what will you do now?"

She was quiet. "I don't know. I can't actually go back to the orphanage, and I have no like of Kodiak's mountain living."

I shrugged, "Come on into town. There's plenty of places you could stay at."

She was quiet again, playing with her slender fingers. "Why...why can't I just stay here?"

Her question took me somewhat by surprise, "Stay here...on the farm?"

She nodded, pleading with her eyes "Please? I don't think I could live in town. People would expect me to behave as a female...I...I can't do that!"

I felt my gaze drawn to her large brown eyes; I could look into them all day. I sat up and pushed my hand through my hair, "Well, I guess you could. I'd have to do some work here and there to make it livable enough for you."

Her smile beamed, and she suddenly sprang up and raced around the table. Before I could react, she embraced me with her slender arms. "Oh...thank you, Quin!" I said nothing, yet I felt that what she was doing was nothing like I would expect from a boy, who had suddenly been changed into a female. Nor could I help my desire to remain in her proximity for as long as possible.

She let me go and smiled, "You don't know what a relief this is to me, Quin! I was beginning to think I'd never be able to show myself to anyone ever again."

"You...you...ah...probably should get dressed." I turned my head; I had noticed that her dark nipple was showing through the thin material of the sheet.

"My clothes are at the lake...I have only a few..." She turned her head, following my own eyes; I had been looking at one of the dresses the mountain man had given her.

I shrugged and pulled my hat down from the nail where I had placed it last night, "Sure, I'll fetch your clothes before I leave."

I didn't even look back, sadly closing the door behind me and crossing the porch. Gypsy glanced up; she had been lying at the end of the porch in the morning sun. "Come on girl, we've got some clothes to fetch."

She stood and stretched her legs, yawned and quickly fell into place beside me.

Chapter 11

I had removed the horse from the buggy and rode it down the trail to the spot where I had rescued the girl; her clothes were right there in plain site. Within a few minutes we were heading back to the farm. Once there, I led the horse into a corral and quietly walked back toward the house with the dog.

As I rounded the corner I glanced up, Sam was walking toward the house from the tall weeds. I stopped and smiled, she was wearing the dress, and her natural beauty made me catch my breath. She was stunning!

She was gliding across the ground; her dress held mere inches from the surface as she walked, just like a typical girl would. Smiling, she glanced up at me. "Did you find them all right?"

I glanced at her 'male' clothes in my hand, "Yeah, no problem." She moved past me and into the house, I couldn't remove my eyes from her shapely figure. "I see you decided to wear the dress." I said, following her.

She shrugged, "It isn't like I haven't worn one before...I just don't like to wear them!"

"You should...you cut a real fine sight when you do!" I replied as I smiled. She grinned weakly as she took the clothes from my hands.

"You're probably wondering why I was in the weeds?" She placed her hands behind her back; the movement emphasized the feminine roundness of her bosom.

"Uh...well, I just figured that you had to use the outhouse." I stammered, embarrassed for thinking about a woman using the privy.

"Hardly," she laughed, "Your fish were beginning to smell! I took them down the hill and tossed them into the weeds."

I could smell something being cooked; she quietly closed the door behind me and moved toward the stove. "You hungry?" she asked.

"Well...yeah, I guess so." She pointed toward the table, indicating that I should take a seat. I sat and removed my hat, "Smells good."

"Thanks, I just hope it tastes as good." She dropped several thick slices of bacon onto a plate, beside two eggs that had already been cooked. "There's more if you want."

"You going to eat too?" I asked, watching her as she walked back to the old stove.

"I have my plate right here." She held it up as she returned to the table.

I couldn't help but watch her as she ate. At times, she ate with the grace of a female...then, at times, she would shovel the food in as if she were half-starved. I found her interesting and compelling...but mostly, I wanted to know even more about her.

I glanced up as I took a drink, and my mind wondered, 'Are you bothered that she claims to be a boy? Could you woo her feminine side if the chance would arise, knowing that she may indeed have been a boy as she claimed?'

My eyes traveled down her neck and along the bosom that was hidden by the top fabric of the dress, down to her graceful arm and the demure fingers that held the fork. "Oh yes," I thought, "I could easily fall for this beauty!"


I was re-hitching my horse later that afternoon, when I heard her walking up behind me. I turned; saddened to see she had replaced her feminine dress with the male clothes again. "Taking off?" she asked.

I nodded, "My grandfather will be wondering where I've gotten off to, he'll be worried." I drew the cinch up tight and walked the reins back to the seat of the buggy.

"I...I'd like to thank you again for saving me." She looked down at the ground, her shorter cropped hair falling down into her eyes. "I know that this is your place..."

"You can stay," I interrupted her, "My grandfather won't mind." I glanced toward her shirt; a person could just make out the slight swell of her bound breasts. Quickly averting my eyes I hesitated, "I...I won't mind either. In fact, it'll be a good reason for me to do some repairs on the place." I spoke, looking at the unkempt farm.

"Thank you," she smiled. "I don't really have any place to go...besides, you can't imagine how good it feels to be able to share my secret with someone who won't try and take advantage of me?"

"Kodiak never took advantage of you, and neither will I." I said climbing up into the seat of the little buggy and picked up the reins, the motion caused the horse to take a step in anticipation. "I'll come by in a day or so and look in on you, and I may bring some supplies to start working on the buildings."

She nodded politely, "Thank you."

I adjusted my hat on and ran a finger along the brim, at the front I pulled it slightly down. "Ma'am," I smiled.

She slowly rolled her eyes and stepped away from the buggy wheel. "You can stop that any time...I'm not a 'Ma'am'!"

I smiled and gave the reins a snap, slowly rolling out of the barnyard and onto the little lane that led back toward town, close behind the buggy was Gypsy.

Chapter 12

As soon as I stepped into the store, I was met by the stern look of my grandfather. "Where the Sam Hill you been? I figured you got yourself killed and was about to send the sheriff out looking for your carcass!" I smiled at his mock anger. Sure he was worried, but he wasn't as mad as he was letting on.

"Late last night, while I was leaving the lake, I heard a huge splash. When Gypsy and I were checking on what had made the sound, I found a kid had fallen into the lake!" I placed my fishing pole into the closet. "If we wouldn't have been there, I'm sure they'd have drowned."

Grandfather stood straighter, "Is he okay?"

"Uh... he'll be fine, just wore him out a bit struggling. He had gotten into the moss and had it wound all around himself...it was weighing him down!" I purposefully led grandfather by using the male references of the victim, especially since he was the one who first used that inclination. I wasn't ready for him to know that it was really a female. I knew Grandfather wouldn't approve if he knew I was alone with a young girl all night, even if it was innocently.

"So, you took the boy to his home?" He asked as we were walking back into his office.

Before I realized what I was saying, I answered. "No, I took him to your old homestead."

He paused and turned, "Why there?"

My mind began to scramble, I hated to mislead my Grandfather. "It was late; we were closer to the farm than to his place."

"Were his parents upset when you took him home?" His look of concern made me feel like a heel.

"Like you, they wondered where he was, but were thankful that I had been in the right place at the right time." My grandfather nodded, smiled, and slapped my back closing his large hand upon my shoulder in a grandfatherly hug.

Now that he knew I had been at the farm, I thought it would be a good chance to tell him of my findings on the disrepair of the old homestead. "While I was waiting on the boy to get better, I took a walk around the old place...kind of remembering when you and Grandma were still living there. It really needs some repair." I glanced up to see his reaction.

"Oh? You thinking about fixing it up?" His smile was reassuring, almost like he was relieved.

"I could, if you want me too," I grinned.

His eyes danced with a light that I hadn't seen in many years, "You don't know how happy that makes me feel, Quin. Long ago, your grandmother and I dreamed of giving it to your father. When he and your mother died, we had all but given up hope. Then, when I lost your dear grandmother I lost all hope completely...that was, until you came to live with me." He sat down in his high, leather chair. "Do what you need to the farm, I'll help you if you want...but...Quin, it's yours if you want it!"

I swallowed hard, never before had I been given something so wonderful! "Gosh yes...sure I'll have it!" I felt as if my head would split in two from smiling, "I'll fix it up right pretty so you'll to be proud, Grandfather!"

He leaned back into his chair, "I'll have the deed drawn up tomorrow; the place is yours!" He patted my hand from across his big desk, "Now, what will we need to fix it up?"

I suddenly remembered the young woman who had been hiding at the farm; I felt the smile leave my face quickly. "Uh...Grandpa, I have money saved up...almost two hundred dollars. If it's going to be mine, I'd like to fix it up by myself...if you don't mind, that is. I hope you understand?"

He laughed, "Sometimes I forget what it's like to be a young man. Sure, I'll let you take the reins on this project...I don't mind." He gave me a warm smile, "Fix it up nice, there'll be a day when you'll take a young woman out there as your bride, you wouldn't want her to see a ragged old farm."

"No sir...I wouldn't," I replied, "I'll fix it up real nice!"

He stood slowly, giving time for his tired joints to catch up. "I imagine you're a bit hungry. Come on and we'll get you something to eat!" He patted my back as we walked, gently moving to the kitchen. "You do have to promise me one thing."

"What's that, Grandfather?" I wondered aloud.

"When you're finished, I'd like you to drive me out there so I can see what you've done to the old place."

I gave him a hug and nodded, "Sure, Grandfather. When I'm done, I'll gladly drive you out there to see the farm."

Chapter 13

I hitched up Grandfather's team to the old buckboard that had been inside the barn, and then drove it down to the mill where I purchased a few long boards and some shake shingle material. Carefully these were placed into the buckboard and tied down beside the tool box which contained my saw, hammer and assortments of nails.

This was the first weekend since I had rescued the girl that I had been able to get back to the farm. Grandfather had given me all today off, since it was Friday, so I could have the entire weekend to do some repairs to the farm. I wondered in the back of my mind if...she'd be still there, or had she become frightened and bolted as soon as I had left. Deep down, I was hoping that she had stayed. I drew the string tight, and moved back to the front of the wagon, checking all the while that nothing could slide when I would began to move with the load. Finally satisfied, I placed my foot on the large spoke of the wheel and took hold of the metal arm of the buckboard's seat.

As I was climbing up, Becky, the Livery manager's daughter bounced into view. "Hi Quin!" she gleefully chirped.

I hesitated and lowered myself back to the ground, "Hi Becky!" I said smiling. "What brings you in here on such a fine morning?"

She smiled and motioned for me to follow. As we rounded the wall she walked me up to a small box, inside, there was a small kitten. "Is that your kitty?" I asked the nine-year-old.

"It's one of Black Tom and Annie's kittens. She had three; this is the last one left." I crouched down and begin petting it with the back of my finger. "Papa says I had to get rid of them all, says he doesn't need any more than we already have."

I gently picked it up and held it in my large hands, "It sure is a fuzzy little thing." I laughed as it began to lick my finger with its rough tongue. A quick check revealed that it was a male.

She pet it with her small hand, "Your grandfather wouldn't want a kitten...would he?"

I tightened my lip, "I'm sorry, I'd be afraid that his dog, Gypsy, might kill the little thing." She sadly looked down at the ground, "But I'll tell you what, Grandpa gave me the old farm...right now there has to be about a million mice at the place. Would you mind if I took him out there?"

Her face brightened up, "That would be fine! In no time at all, he'll have those mice all run off or eaten!"

I glanced at the little sleeping form in my hands, "I doubt if he'll be ready to battle it out just yet...give him a few weeks and I'm sure he'll give them a good fight." I smiled as it yawned, his vibration from purring could be felt in my touch. "How old is he?"

She shrugged, "Papa guessed they're old enough to give out...Annie stopped nursing them a few days ago. Any time they come around her, she would growl and hiss. I started to give them away only yesterday...it's yours, if you want it."

I began looking around, almost tempted to stuff the tiny thing into the pocket of my jacket. Becky saw my intentions and quickly came to my rescue, "You can have the box if you want, the kitten can ride in there safer than in your pocket."

I smiled, "You won't mind?"

Becky shook her head, "It's just one of our old apple crates, Papa won't mind if I give it away...especially if I don't bring back any kittens."

I laughed, and placed the kitten back into the deep crate. "Thank you, Becky. And thank your father for me, too!"

She held the crate as I climbed up onto the seat, then handed it to me. "Bye Kitty," Becky said as I sat it into the seat beside me. "Take care of him!" she shouted as I began to pull away.

"I will! Thanks again!" I shouted as I headed down the street with the kitten. By the edge of the town, it had settled back down and was falling asleep. I smiled and shook my head, giving out a short laugh as we rolled on.

Chapter 14

I eased around the lane, just past the tall pines and birch trees with their curling white bark. The farmyard looked deserted, and I felt my heart drop. Sadly, I rolled to a stop just outside the old corral and climbed down from the seat. I unhitched the team and walked them into the corral, then pulled the gate closed behind me as I headed into the barn.

It was eerily quiet as I stepped inside, for not a thing was moving. I sighed and slowly walked back toward the house, gingerly, I pushed the door open. On the table there was a dish laying, a chair stood slightly askew. "Sam?" I called out. There was no answer.

Inside, my heart was spinning, spiraling slowly out of control. "Damn!" I muttered. I was really going to miss her company, even if she thought she had once been a boy. As I turned and walked toward the open door, she was suddenly standing in front of me.

I wasn't sure who startled whom. She stumbled backward and I quickly caught her from falling. "S...sorry about that," I stammered as I helped her regain her footing.

"I didn't hear you come in," she said excitedly. I looked past her at the corral, it would seem impossible for her not to notice the wagon and horses.

I yanked my hat from my head, "I'm glad to find you still here, Sam. I was afraid you'd have left before I could see you again." Inwardly, I frowned at seeing her once again, dressed like a boy.

She shrugged, "Where would I go?" Her slender finger slid under a blond lock of hair and pushed it behind her ear. "I haven't gotten any other offers to stay anywhere."

"That's good to know, I already told you to stay here as long as you like!" I smiled, rolling the brim of the hat in my hands. My eyes quickly drank in her outfit, she was still dressed like a boy, but her breasts were unbound. I tried to not let my eyes linger at the feminine swell of her shirt.

From far away I heard a soft mew of the kitten, and I felt myself smile. She turned and moved onto the porch. "Did you just hear that?"

Playing ignorance, I did my best at acting like I was listening. "Hear what?"

Again the soft sound came from the wagon. "There it is again! It...it almost sounds like a kitten."

I took her by the arm and we both walked to the wagon. I pulled the crate across the seat and lowered it down. "A little girl in town gave him to me...every farm needs one." I smiled as she reached inside and began to gently caress the soft fur. "I sort of thought that you might like the company...when I'm not around."

"What's his name?" she asked smiling, and gently lifting it to her smooth cheek.

"He doesn't have one...yet; I was hoping that you'd help me name him." I could feel my heart racing as it pounded inside my chest, deep down I knew I could easily fall for this young woman.

She smiled and looked at me from the corner of her eye, "I guess I could help you come up with something." She turned and began walking toward the house, all the while I couldn't take my eyes from her gently swaying figure.

I sighed to myself, "How could you keep your beautiful feminine shape, hidden under all this loose, male clothing?" Yet, I was thankful she couldn't hear me, and even more thankful for the view I had in following her.

"Have you eaten?" she spoke, pausing at the porch. I glanced up and almost ran into her.

"S..sorry." I stammered, loving the fact that I was so very close to her. "I ate breakfast with my grandfather this morning."

"Coffee then?" She smiled took a step backward, onto the porch.

"That would be fine. I need to empty out the wagon first, then I'll gladly take that cup." As she turned and headed into the house with the kitten nestled in her slender arms, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm my over-stimulated nerves.

After unloading the wagon and placing my supplies into the safety of the barn, I walked back to the house. Pausing at the open door I knocked against the door frame. "Sam?"

"You don't have to knock, after all, it is YOUR house...well your grandfather's house," she called out from the kitchen.

I paused and hung my hat on a hook, "Well, now that you mention it, I have some news about the farm to tell you." I pulled out a chair and sat down, she handed me a cup and sat in the opposite chair.

She had a slightly worried expression, but my smile helped ease her fears. "My grandfather has given me the farm, and he wants me to fix it up." I took a sip of the extremely hot coffee. "You can stay here indefinitely, as my guest."

She sat quietly, contemplating what I had just said. "I won't stay here free of charge; I can help with fixing everything up." She stared into her cup, "I'll not have any charity, I do have my pride to respect."

"I understand, I'm sure there will be some things around here that you can do. Just...leave the heavy stuff for me." I wanted her to understand that I couldn't live with myself, knowing that she was trying to do anything that a man should be doing.

Her eyes narrowed, "And just what are you expecting me to do?" I realized as soon as she spoke that I may have just stuck my foot in my mouth.

I stammered, "Whatever you want that doesn't involve any heavy lifting."

She stood up so fast that her chair fell over, "You're trying to treat me like a girl...I'M NOT A GIRL!"

I glanced at the fallen chair; the kitten had disappeared into the bedroom as soon as it struck the floor. "Fine." I growled, "If you think you can pull a man's load...I'd appreciate the help!" What else was I to do? I was afraid of offending her so much that she would leave...and I didn't want that to happen.

After quickly finishing my coffee, I retreated to the safety of my chores. I was intending to mend some fences today, but hadn't expected to have personal fences to attend to as well. Still seething, I removed my axe from the wagon and headed off, taking the narrow path that led down the bottom of the hill.

It only took a few minutes to find a slender stand of young trees that would suit my purpose, not far away from the farm. I looked around and noticed that these would need to be removed anyway, since they had grown quickly in an area that used to be my grandfather's field.

As I felled one tree, I moved on to the next, figuring that I would strip it of branches once I had cut what I needed. The steady 'whop, whop, whop' of my axe kept the rhythm to the tune in my head. I was in my element; I loved being outside...doing a man's chore, trying to rebuild a man's farm. My farm.

Slowly to my ears, I heard an echoing 'whop'. It was out of sequence and it caused me to turn. At one end of a tree that I had just cut down, stood Sam. In her hand was a hatchet that I had left behind in the toolbox. She ignored me and continued with her work, I watched her swing the smaller axe with the precision of one who was not unfamiliar with its use.

I found myself smiling, and then returned to my work. As soon as I had finished with what I needed, I began to help Sam remove the branches. By lunch, we had all the logs I would need to repair the corral, all with the help of Sam. She was hurting, as I could see the pain in her eyes as she winced. I assumed that she had several blisters on her soft hands, but she would never admit to being sore...that much I was sure.

She said nothing to me as we walked back up the little lane toward the old homestead. I knew she was hurting and keeping her pain to herself. I unhitched the team and started leading them down the hill toward the several logs that lay near the small stand. From the corner of my eye I watched to see if she would return, then felt a surge of pride when she appeared next to me at the bottom of the hill...pain and all.

"You don't have to do this." I hesitantly spoke, glancing toward her blistered hands.

"I'm doing it because it's something that I want to do," she replied curtly.

"Suit yourself...but...I do appreciate the help." From a quick glance, I saw the tiniest hint of a smile creep across her pretty face.

In groups of two, I tied the logs together and with Sam leading the team, we brought them back up and into the barnyard. While I was placing the horses into my makeshift corral, Sam returned with a ladle full of cool water. "Thought you may want this."

"Thanks, Sam." I smiled and took the cool drink from the old ladle.

"You want to break for something to eat?" she asked, taking her own drink.

"We can," I said smiling, I was enjoying her company, appreciating her more and more.

Once the gate had been closed, she and I began to walk toward the house. "I'll help cut those into fences as soon as we've eaten something."

"You sure?" I asked. "I don't mind...but...those hands of yours can't take much more abuse." She looked down; her tender palms were riddled with sores.

"I'll be okay," she said as she dropped her hands to her side. I said nothing, admiring her toughness as we walked toward the house.

Our meal was a simple one, we had several slices of store bought bread and smeared over it was some strawberry jelly, and chased down with a glass of cool water. Smiling, she got up and took a pear, sliced it into two halves, and gave one to me. All of these items had been purchased from Grandfather's store, with the exception of the pear, which grew freely on the farm.

After our meal, I stood and walked outside. Sam had been feeding the kitten the edges of her bread, which the feline was hungrily taking. I pushed my hat down on my head and set up Grandfather's saw horses; by the time I had the first log in place, she was there. "You sure you want to help?"

"I'm here, aren't I?" she shot back.

I nodded, "That's fine." I replied, "But I want you to use these from now on." I reached over the side of the buckboard, and into my toolbox, pulling out a pair of goatskin gloves. "It'll help your hands from getting any worse."
She looked down as I held them, and frowned. I bent lower so she could see the honesty in my eyes, "Please? I love the beauty of your hands, and I don't want them hurt anymore."

It was almost as if she were embarrassed when she took them from me, but she slowly put them onto her diminutive hands.

Without another word, I sat the long blade of the cross-cut saw on the mark I had made. By the time I had made my first draw, she was on the other side, ready to drag it back through the initial cut. Like a team we worked through that first log.

Throughout the afternoon we continued sawing, I couldn't help looking at her, nor could she help looking at me. The constant motion of our movements caused a pleasant motion of her bosom under her shirt, pleasant for me, but I doubted if it were for her.

The back and forth motion had caused her top two buttons to open; it gave me a glimpse of her upper chest, and just a hint of her youthful cleavage. Sweat glistened in those areas I could see, fueling the imagination for those areas I couldn't.

By late afternoon we were finished. I carried the saw into a smaller building and hung it from the end rafter. She dropped the gloves into the tool box and using all the strength she could muster, carried it, without my knowing, into the same small shed. As she set it down, she realized that her buttons had come undone. Quickly correcting the problem, I noticed that her face was reddening.

"I'm going to clean up, if we're finished for the evening, that is?" She stood, waiting for my answer.

"That's fine. I was thinking about cleaning up myself too," I smiled, thinking of a small farm pond not too far away, one that my grandfather used to water his cows. The water would feel so cool, cleansing the sweat from my body.

Chapter 15

I stripped down behind a bush, throwing my clothes onto a log as I headed toward the water on a dead run. It was one of those times as you are diving, when you hear a strange sound, like the one that I encountered. Unable to stop myself in mid air I sliced through the cool water and surfaced, and as soon as I was able, I broke the surface and looked around. Other than the wake from my dive, nothing else was moving. Then, I noticed a smaller rippling that was interlocking with my own.

Suddenly, not fifteen feet from me, surfaced Sam. She dove under as soon as our eyes met, trying to hide her nakedness in the attempt. I realized that I too was without clothing, naked in a small pond with a beautiful girl. She slowly surfaced again, keeping her chest covered with her hands.

"I...I didn't expect you..." she stammered, treading backward several feet.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "I'll get out until you are through." I began to swim to the edge where I could walk out.

"NO!" she cried. "You're naked!"

"So are you," I replied. She looked back toward her own clothes, then over toward where I had left mine. "Look, there's no reason we can't share the pond. I'll stay over here on my side; you stay over there on yours." I said, trying to sound like a diplomat.

"I guess that sounds fair," she said as she bobbed in the water. "Only, no peeking!"

I nodded in agreement, as I began to swim. I had kept to myself for quite a long time, once forgetting that I wasn't alone and trying to float on my back. When I did, I heard a soft gasp from the other side of the small farm pond. At its widest point, this particular pond was only around twenty yards across, unlike the bigger lake not far from here. This small pond was more of a watering hole than anything, although it did have catfish and crappies living in it, most likely there from when the big lake overflowed its banks at one time during a heavy rain.

Upon hearing her gasp, I almost drowned myself with my own sudden movement. "I...I'm sorry!" I shouted, "I forgot you were in here!"

I felt better when I heard a short laugh. "Uh...Quin, exactly how are we going to get out of here without either of us seeing the other one?"

I looked around; the sun was dipping low in the west. "We can wait until dark and then climb out..."

"I suppose," she said laughing, "Just keep the rest of you down, UNDER the water's surface."

I smiled and swam a bit closer, noticing for the first time that her wet hair was almost touching the tops of her shoulders. "I like it that you're letting you hair grow longer." I said, as I kept my head above the water.

"It's not that I'm letting it grow, I've just misplaced my scissors." It was apparent that she was standing on the bottom, because her movement was negligible.

"If I asked you nicely, would you let it grow?" I smiled, swimming to my right a few feet.

"Why?" she asked. "Would it be because you have some strange reason for wanting me to appear as a female?"

I frowned, "I can't figure you out; you are a gorgeous woman! Why can't you act like one?"

She had no expression on her face, replying calmly, "Because, to act like one means that I have accepted the notion that I am one. To accept means to embrace everything that comes along with womanhood!"

"Is that so bad?" I asked.

"It is if you weren't raised as one... or, had you forgotten what I told you about being changed into this...this girl you're seeing in front of you?" She shot me a frown and dipping backward, used the water to comb her hair from her eyes.

I looked away, "I'm sorry."

She sighed, "It's okay, I know what you mean. I just can't bring myself to accept what has happened to me. I...I know that unless I find the man who changed me, there is little chance I can ever go back to my old form."

"If it's any consolation, I wouldn't mind it if you remained as you are." I couldn't help telling her the truth.

She looked into the west, "The sun's setting, and it’s almost dark now...I think it would be safe to get out now." I knew she was just trying to change the subject, so I said nothing.

As she moved toward the shore, I could just make out the gently flaring hips and thin waist, shifting with each of her steps. She disappeared quickly into the underbrush. I, too, began to head for the opposite shore, making my way to where my clothes lay upon the log.

I sat quietly on the log as darkness enveloped me, slowly dressing myself, knowing she had long ago left the pond and returned to the house. Finally I took up a slow walk back to the farm. As I approached the barnyard, I met her walking toward me. "Forget something?" I asked.

"I was worried. You were taking so long," she replied.

"I was thinking," was my only reply.

"Oh...I see," she smiled, "I remember back when I wore my male body, I would go off by myself and do some 'thinking' too!"

I hesitated, feeling that she was implying that I stayed back there to 'play with myself'. I scowled, "hardly."

She smiled and turned back toward the house, "I have supper ready, come in so we can eat!"

She had put me into a sullen mood, as I fell into step behind her. A mood that made me not sure I wanted to eat with her in the first place. She glanced back at me, "Sorry, Quin, I didn't mean to imply..."

"Forget it," I spat.


To Be Continued in Part 4

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting story series here...

I'm not normally a fan of stories set in this time period, but this one intrigues me. I like it. Please keep up the good work.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

She's in a tough spot.

I doubt that finding the men who did this to her would help. It seems that the medallion is a one way trip, I think. I know it's tough but perhaps she needs to adjust to reality a bit. In modern clinical parlance they would say she has an "adjustment disorder".

Poor kid, I feel sorry for her.

Gwendolyn

Very interesting story here

I'm curious as to how these two will end up. Will Sam be presented with the chance to return to being male? Enquiring minds want to know? lol