The Blue Knight - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

The Blue Knight
Part Eight - Riches Too Great To Count


Previously, The Callahan home, late afternoon on the 26th of December...
 
But I also dreamt which pleased me most
That you loved me still the same,
That you loved me
You loved me still the same,
That you loved me
You loved me still the same.

 “No. NO….” Caden sobbed even as Michael nearly smothered her with soft tender kisses. What some might mistakenly say was ‘manly,’ but really just a very strong, entirely feminine expression of love of one woman for another. Caden protested again.

“I’m…you can’t …I’m not …it won’t ever be right…” She wept as the woman continued to hold her tight against the pull of shame and fear. Michael whispered softly but firmly,

“I decide what’s right for me….you’re just right, Caden O’Rourke. Just fine indeed.”

She continued to kiss the girl even as Caden’s struggles waned in the strong and comforting embrace of a woman to whom she owed her life; a damsel of sorts in the arms of her knight in blue jersey armor. Caden gave into the moment and kissed back; her first kiss ever and the last she would ever need; other than each succeeding kiss from the woman she had begun to love.


Michael felt cold; especially her feet. She looked down and realized she was walking barefoot on a very ornate but nearly frigid marble floor. Her breath hung in the air in front of her and she wrapped her arms around herself to keep warm. It was then she noticed she was wearing a long navy blue gown of some soft and surprisingly comfortable cloth. As she stepped around she noticed a tall mirror that went from floor to ceiling. Looking at her reflection she realized her hair was braided in an updo, and that she wore a tiara. Both the tiara and the thin cord that girded her waist were silver. The image was pleasant and frightening at the same time and she shivered.

“You look nice,” a voice came from behind.” Michael turned and saw a girl standing there. She was clad in a similar gown, except that it was all white save for a thin gold cord around her waist.

“Nice becomes you; you should do it more often.” Michael felt her cheeks grown warm and she turned away.

“Please? You don’t have to frightened.” The girl spoke softly and her voice was soothing and calmed Michael’s fear.

“I’m really just like you, you know?” The girl stepped closer and grabbed both of Michael’s hands, turning her around. Face to face, the girl smiled warmly which caused Michael’s cheeks to grow hot and red.

“I need you.” The girl spoke slowly and softly at first, but as Michael went to turn away once again, the girl’s voice grew louder and more urgent until her words became desperate; almost as frightened as the fear she had just allayed in Michael.

“I need you…Please, Michael….MICHAEL.’ The word reverberated in the wide hall as the girl began to fade as a pair of hands pulled her backward.

“MICHAEL!!!!”


She woke with a start at the sound of the telephone. It was almost seven in the morning and she sat up, shaking almost violently. The phone continued to ring until she picked up the receiver. The voice on the other end made her nightmare seem foolish and small.

“What? Oh….when? Wait…she’s coming home? Why…What?? Oh, God, Linda, no. Okay.”

Michael hung up the phone and sighed. Blinking back tears, she looked out the bedroom window and noticed it had started snowing, but even a blizzard would be a warm welcome compared to the cold pain in her heart. Her mother would be coming home early, along with Michael's sister and son-in-law. Katie Callahan had just about run out of time. Michael put her hand to her face and began to weep; bitter angry tears over lost time and lost opportunities. Frustrated helpless tears; unable to save her mother, and afraid that she would be unable to save the woman she had come to love.

She sat down on the bed and tried to think; the events of the evening before came back to her...


“Dave…what the hell is going on.”

“There was a search of the hotel room, Mikey…they found a gun…THE gun. Your friend killed his mother.” Michael was going to correct the pronoun, but she realized that gender specific terms were the least concerns of Caden O’Rourke. Someone had killed her mother, and from the town of Morristown's perspective, Caden was good for it.

“Dave…wait a second, okay?” Michael walked out to the driveway in her bare feet and walked up to the squad car to open the door.

“I can’t let you do that, Mike!” Pete said, putting his hand on her wrist. A mean glare flashed in Michael’s eyes, and the tall officer relented. She opened the door to find a stunned Caden sitting almost catatonic in the back seat.

“I’m going to find out who did this. I promise.” She shook her head as the girl nodded without expression. Pete pushed past her and shoved the door closed.

“You can’t help him now, Mike. He killed his mother and he’s got you buffaloed if you think it was just a robbery gone bad. Dead to rights, Mike. Sorry.” He pushed past her once again, this time looking a bit more apologetic as he got behind the wheel. Dave came up and put his hand on her shoulder.

“I hope things turn out okay, Mikey, but it doesn’t look good. Pete found the gun in the dresser in her room. She’ll be arraigned and maybe the judge will set bail, but I don’t think so, Mikey. Sorry.” Dave got into the squad car and a moment later they were gone.

A moment later, Officer Michael Callahan’s eyes widened once again in realization, but this time they had a gleam that seemed to shine out as a ray of hope. Michael knew what had happened; who killed Grace O'Rourke. The trick now would be to prove it, and that would happen when she figured out why.


I dreamt that suitors sought my hand,
That knights upon bended knee
And with vows no maidens heart could withstand,
They pledged their faith to me.
And I dreamt that one of that noble host
Came forth my hand to claim.

Later at Morristown Police Station....

“Hey, Mikey…take it easy,” Dave Washington put both of his hands out, palms down in gesture.

“Before you go any further, your friend has gone through booking, and we’ve got him…her in a holding cell upstairs.” Dave looked toward the stairwell and back at Michael.

“They wanted to put her in with the male population over at county jail, but I knew that would be a disaster. And I’m pretty sure the girls over at county jail would give her a bad time as well.” For all the insistence and no-nonsense that Dave had displayed at Michael’s house, he was a fair man, and seemed honestly concerned about the girl’s safety.

“You’re right about that, Dave. Thanks. Any word about bail?”

“I wouldn’t go there if I were you, Mikey. Captain already is worried you’re too close to the case.

“Too close? The girl’s mother was murdered and she has no one.” Michael tried to speak calmly, but dispassionate was never anything she could manage.

“Between you and me, it’s okay, but I have to stay focused on this. It’s a damn murder investigation, Mikey. You know what everybody is sayin’?” Dave looked away.

“What do you say, Dave?” Michael shook her head, worried that the few friends she did have at the station might walk away from her. She looked at Dave and saw a smile break across his face slowly.

“What you do with your life is your business. Ain’t my place to judge you, kid. But know this. You’re a friend, and I don’t turn my back on my friends. Whatever this girl has with you? It seems to be more than just a good thing. But we have to be objective…we don’t know her and the evidence points right at her.” At his words, something stirred inside of Michael as she recalled what had come to her. She smiled at Dave and nodded.


I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls
With vassals and serfs at my side,
And of all who assembled within those walls
That I was the hope and the pride.
I had riches all too great to count
And a high ancestral name.

Michael's home...a little after eleven on Saturday, twenty-seventh of December

“Hi…yes, that’s right. No, Ma’am, I’m a girl…yes, Ma’am. “ Michael shook her head and smiled.

“Yes…Michael is a boy’s name. Beg pardon? Oh…I’m named after my uncle…he was a hero…yes, that’s right…he died in ‘Nam.” She sighed. The conversation could go any number of ways, but for Caden’s sake it had to go well…it just had to.

“Yes….oh, that’s good; she’s not appropriate…Oh no, Ma’am…it’s just that neither jails are suitable for her. Yes, Ma’am…she told me the other night. “ Michael paused. The conversation was going badly.

“Excuse, me, please. I’m going to do everything in my power to clear your granddaughter….She…yes, Ma’am, we are friends. Beg pardon…oh you know how people sometimes ….just hit it off? Yes…oh no Ma’am…No.” She turned away from the phone and faked a cough and thought to herself.

“Not yet, at least.” Turning back to the receiver she smiled and took a breath, almost as if she was diving into deep water; it was somewhat dark and cold from the reception she was receiving.

“Yes…She left her purse…no…they really didn’t give her much of a choice. Yes…oh yes, I actually found it in the parking lot…No…it’s right here on my mantle. Yes…” Another sigh.

“No, Ma’am….I can have it put in my Mom’s safety deposit box until your granddaughter gets out. No, I can only imagine…a family heirloom and all…Excuse me…did I hear you right? Fifty Thousand dollars? No, Ma’am.“ Michael reached into the purse with her free hand and pulled out the ring. It seemed pretty but nothing to ‘write home about,‘ as her Dad used to say.

“You…I’m sorry, could you repeat that?”

“You didn’t give it to…gave it to Caden instead….Didn't trust..your own daughter? I don’t understand?” She didn’t understand, but something clicked inside of her and she realized why Grace O’Rourke was killed and she felt sure that her suspicions about the killer were true. The trick now was finding a way to prove it.

But I also dreamt which charmed me most
That you loved me still the same
That you loved me
You loved me still the same,
That you loved me
You loved me still the same.

849935417_148b9d7e43 (1).jpg

Next: Maybe I'll Just Sail Away...


I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls
or The Gypsy Girl's Dream

From the Opera, The Bohemian Girl
lyrics by Alfred Bunn and
music by Michael William Balfe
performed by Méav Ná­ Mhaolchatha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgFqNQdPCQ

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

'Drea, You're Mean

littlerocksilver's picture

Here I thought from the title that things were drawing to a conclusion; however, once again you leave me dangling from a cliff. As I said before, these two damaged souls need to come together and get on with their lives. Waiting eagerly for the next chapter.

Portia

Now You've Got Me Going

joannebarbarella's picture

How can they convict Caden? She has an alibi. OK, she's being fitted up but Michael will prevail,

Joanne

I hope she can prove what happened.

"she felt sure that her suspicions about the killer were true. The trick now was finding a way to prove it."

I'm pulling hard for her.

DogSig.png

Caden is innocent... right!!??

I'd like to petition my Congressman (or woman) - if I had one - let's show a little mercy!!! She's innocent! :) G xx

Story Juggling

terrynaut's picture

I'm impressed. I don't know how you can juggle so many stories at once. I have trouble focusing on one.

I like how this is going. Mike really is like a knight, a blue knight, and she's going to save a damsel in distress who also happens to be her true love. Very sweet.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

At last... Motive!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Thanks, Andrea, we finally have the 'why' and it should make things easier for Michael prove her case. Now I have a real conundrum! The story is so good that while I want Caden to be proved innocent at once, I don't want the story to end soon.

How did you become such a wonderful story teller?

Ole

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!