Who Wears Short Shorts? I Wear Short Shorts!

Printer-friendly version
Who Wears Short Shorts?
I Wear Short Shorts!
by Rami
Copyright 2012

“NO!” I screamed quieting everybody down.

My sister Sherry and older brother Jack usually called Jackie had just culminated a bet, agreeing to allow my sister and her friend, Donna to dress me like a girl, so that I could appear on stage with them on Saturday night.

The girls grabbed me, and dragged me out of the garage and into the house.

As they draggedme away, I wondered how I got into this predicament and I feared the consequences.


The Story of a Boy’s Flirtation with His Feminine Side.

Told as a homage to 1950/60s Rock and Broadway Musicals

Throughout this tale, there are references to 1950’s and 1960’s Rock and Broadway Musicals. Some allusions are apparent, others obscure, some fit easily, some are strained. I hope that you will find all of them.

Thanks to Nora Adrienne for Proofing and Andrea Lena DiMaggio for HTML help


Ft. Lauderdale - 2009

Oh What a Night. It was not late December 1963, But Oh What a Night. My wife and I were celebrating our 40th Anniversary, with a gourmet dinner and fifth row center seats for “Jersey Boys” the hit show about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. She bought tickets immediately after the announcement that the musical was coming to Ft. Lauderdale. We grew up listening to them.

Holding hands as the performance began, we continued doing so through the first few songs. A song that had special significance for us was next. As it began her hand moved down and rubbed my leg, she looked up and smiled, as she confirmed what I was wearing. Then she laid her head on my shoulder. Forty-five years earlier, during a summer, I try to remember, strange and unique events brought us together. That song plays an important role for us.

Queens, NY Summer 1964

“NO!” I screamed quieting everybody down.

My sister Sherry and older brother Jack usually called Jackie had just culminated a bet, agreeing to allow my sister and her friend, Donna to dress me like a girl, so that I could appear on stage with them on Saturday night.

The girls grabbed me, and dragged me out of the garage and into the house.

As they took me away, I wondered how I got into this predicament and feared the consequences.

It was a bright Thursday afternoon in late June 1964. School was out. Summer fun lay ahead. Sitting in our garage, I listened to my brother’s band practice for an upcoming show. Jack was lead guitarist, Duke was on bass, and Earl was on keyboards. The fourth member was Louie. Louie played drums. They called themselves the “Belmont Racers.”

We lived a mile from Belmont Racetrack, on Jaybird Street, so the guys thought the name would stand out and have panache. A typical 1960's garage band they played at schools, community centers, and bowling alleys. They made money, but not much, and anticipated they would be the next great band. I on the other hand knew their egos were bigger than their talent. The Belmont Racers had shared the stage with a local girl’s group, the Shangri-Las, who had just hit the big time. The boys expected the same lightening to strike them.

Beach Boys and Four Seasons songs made up their repertoire of 50s and 60s rock. They had recorded two songs. The A side was ‘Rockaway Girl.’ The flip side was ‘Top of the Fair.’ They sent copies to all the top D.J.’s like, Cousin Brucie, Kasey Kasem, and Wolfman Jack. Shock settled in when they received no replies.

Sherry and her friends’ Donna and Barbara Anne often sang with the group and were to do so at the upcoming gig on Saturday night. The show was at the General Jubilation T. Cornpone Center, a local meeting hall shared by veterans’ groups. When they danced and sang with the boys, they were the Jockeyettes.

They scheduled a rehearsal for 2:00 P.M.; everyone was there but Barbara Anne.

“Hey Sis, where is Barbara Anne?” My brother queried.

“I don’t know, she told me she would be here.”

“We got to get started, go call her” said Louie.

“Do I have to? She’ll be here soon?”

In unison my brother and Earl yelled, “Go call her!”

“Ok, don’t get your pants up your ass!”

You could hear her as she ran up the stairs to the kitchen where our phone was located. A few minutes later, she ran down the steps. It sounded like a herd of cattle.

“So!” everyone asked.

“She’s not coming! She said had to go to the zoo with her cousin Mary Lou.”

“That stinks,” “How can she do that to us,” “What are we going to do?”

Sherry announced, “We need a third girl.”

“Yeah we do,” replied Donna. “Who can we get to replace her,” probed someone else?

My brother, taking responsibility as the leader of the pack, turned to Sherry, “Okay, Sis, you, and Donna need to find someone to fill in.We need her now.”

While we waited as they first ran upstairs to make calls. When they returned, they went outside to confer. Only bits of what they were saying reached inside. What was heard was, she won’t do, she can’t sing or dance, she a cow, not that fat pig, too klutzy and the like

Things got really quite after a while, and you could see the girls glancing at us. Some of those glances were smirks, and I got the feeling, that they were looking at me and only me. I felt that I was looking into the faces of two lions. Better make that two vicious, hungry lionesses out for red meat, me. I was wishing that those lions would sleep tonight.

After some nods, a few laughs, and strange smiles, they sauntered into the garage.

My brother asked, “Well, who did you think of?”

Like little girls, they giggled.

A resounding chorus of “Well, tell us already,” came from the band members.

Sherry answered, “Most of the girls we thought about fizzled out. Daisy may be able to do it, after she’s done chasing Abner, and Sue’s running around.We had to wake up little Susie and she to tired.”

“What about my cousin Maria,” asked Duke? “We just met that girl, Maria,” Louie added, “and she's probably hanging out with Tony.”

“But we have a suggestion” Sherry exclaimed.

“I think this will work out perfectly,” Donna declared.

“You’ll love it,” proclaimed Sherry.

Jackie inquired, “So tell us already.”

Sherry and Donna smiled at each other, then walked in my direction, got on either side of me, pulled me off the bench, and shouted, “Robert”

A cacophony of voices filled the garage. Everyone was screaming, it was impossible to tell who was saying what, but you could hear, “What the fuck,” “No way,” “That’s sick,” “You’re nuts,” “He’s not a girl,” “It won’t work.”

My loud scream of “NO!” quieted everyone down.

Smirking Sherry asked, “Why won’t it work?”

Donna added with an evil smile, “It’s not sick! It will work!”

Sherry joined in, “We’re not nuts. He knows the lyrics better than you guys do. He catches you when you screw up.”

Donna continuing her justification, grinning wickedly pranced over to me, grabbed my hand, forced me into a pirouette, and squealed, “He can dance”

I pulled away from her, and tried to get to the door leading into the house. Rolf, who played tackle on the H.S. football team, blocked my escape.

Jackie shouted, “Cut the shit, this won’t work, and we have no time to screw around. We need someone to replace Barbara Anne and we need her now.”

My shout filled the garage, “This is not happening, no way, no how, I’m out of here.” I again tried to exit the garage, but Rolf continued blocking my path to freedom.

My sister knew how to push my brother’s buttons. He always fell for any bet or dare she proposed. Even after losing and shown up as a fool of dozens of times, he always fell for the bait. It was about to happen again.

“I bet that Donna and I can turn him, into a good-looking girl. She’ll be so convincing that no one, not in on what we’re doing, could tell that she’s a he.”

He challenged, “How much?”

“Hey, you’re talking about me, don’t I get a say in this. What am I, a boy for sale?” I screamed.

In unison, they shouted “No!”

“So what’s the bet?”

“If I can make him look good enough to appear on stage as a girl, without anyone knowing better, you and the guys pay us the gate receipts for the next three performances. If we lose, I do all your chores, and I give you my allowance for five weeks.”

“Not good enough was the reply”

“What’s wrong?”

“He, ha, she needs to not only appear like a girl, but has to pass the smell test”

“What?” rang out. “Mack asked, “You mean someone needs to sniff him.”

“No you jerk.” Looking at me with a sneer he said, “No, our new sister must look pretty in her outfits. Can you do that?”

She looked at Donna and they smiled as she walked up to Jackie sticking out her left hand. He saw it, grabbed hers and they shook.

I gulped. Everyone knew this was serious. A left-handed shake meant a lot in our neighborhood.

Making a last ditch attempt to extricate myself from the mess I snarled, “I’ll tell mom and dad, and you’ll both be in trouble.”

Sinisterly Sherry laughed, “Stop that Yakedy Yak, don’t talk back. Mom won’t be a problem, I’ll take care of her, and dad is away on business. He won’t know till it’s done, and I’ll get mom to cover for us.”

I knew I was doomed.

Sherry and Donna, grabbed me, and began walking me out of the garage, and up the stairs. As they dragged me away, I could see the guys laughing and pointing at me. I could also hear their snide remarks. “Wimp,” “Fag,” “Pussy,” my brother was laughing the loudest. I’m not violent but, if I had a hammer, I’d use it.

I put up a fight, but together they had me in a grip. I struggled to get out of this mess and get away; to escape, up on the roof, to no avail.

My release would come, as we passed the kitchen. Mom would surely, look into what was happening, and free me from this insanity. As we passed the kitchen my hopes were dashed, she was not there. Sherry looked at me, and teasingly taunted, “Aint that a shame. You thought mom would rescue you. You’re out of luck. She’s not here. She went to Aunt Dolly’s and won’t be back until after dinner. I didn't tell you, but she left me money to get pizza. It going to be a blast when she learns that she now has two daughters.”

They forced me upstairs, and pulled me into Sherry’s room. Donna looked at me and said, “We can do this the easy way, or the hard way, it is up to you.”

I could probably win a fight, but together, they would put up a good contest and give me a hard time; someone could get hurt. I was all shook up so, I decided to, go along, and bide my time, while looking for an escape.

My sister had a mean streak and she proved it. She teased, “Ooo this is going to be so much fun, making that stupid twerp dress like a girl. It will be so much fun dressing him up and putting makeup on him”

I was all alone. I did not know whom I can turn to for help.

Donna said, “Go take a bath, wash your hair with Sherry’s shampoo and conditioner, and shave everything below the top of your head. By the way, don’t splish splash while you’re taking your bath”

Sherry broke out laughing and squealed, “Don’t be stupid Donna. He’s got nothing to shave. He’s never shaved. He has no facial hair, and has less hair on his arms and legs then you or me.” That devastated me. Her taunts hit hard, because it was true, and it bothered me. As I started to walk toward the bathroom, she swatted my tush with a magazine. It was unexpected and stung, but if she expected a reaction, she didn't get it. Grinning I left.

Following my instructions, I complied. The shampoo smelled like flowers, yuck; the conditioner smelt even worse. I took one of her razors and shaved what little hair I had. Stepping out of the bath where I was splishing and splashing in rebellion, I noticed a large fluffy towel waiting for me. Someone had come in while I was bathing without my realizing it. Did they peek?

Trotting back to the room, I was startled to see Sherry and Donna dressed in one of the three costumes they would wear during the show. It consisted of a blouse that was that was form fitting and was tied off several inches above the naval, a pair of the shortest shorts imaginable, and a pair of the highest heels I ever saw. I was clueless as to what they were called. Prior to today, I had no interest in girls’ shoes. I also had no idea as to how high they were.

What was lying prominently on the bed drew my attention. Lying there was a similar costume. Where did they get it? What was it doing there? Why did they have a spare costume? In addition, to the outfit was a pair of panties and a bra.

The next thing I heard was, my sister commanding, “Strip, and put on the panties and bra.” I roared, “Hell No. Are you crazy or something? I’m your brother, a guy. I don’t wear panties and I obviously don’t need a bra.”

Challenging me, “You are going to wind up dressed one way, or another so, do as I say, or I will strip you down myself. Your choice. You do it or I treat you as a rag doll.”

“No, I’m not doing it.”

Snarling, she advanced toward me, signaling Donna to assist her.

Donna exclaimed “Stop, let me handle this. I will get Robin to go along with this. Just leave the room. It will go smoother and better if you were not here. You’re being nasty to him.”

I thought she’s calling me Robin. Why?

Sherry shrugged, gave us both a nasty look, but walked out the door.

Donna sat on the couch, smiling and motioned me to sit next to her. I sat as far from her as possible. It was a sympathetic smile and not a snide one like the others I had seen earlier.

“You must be terrified about what’s happening, and why we choose you to do this.”

I just nodded.

“I can’t speak for your sister; she seems to be doing this to be just mean.When she suggested you, I almost dismissed it, but then I remembered that you tap with Wendy and sing in the school’s chorus. I figured this could be a big prank on everyone.”

“Yeah, but I’m not a girl, I don’t have boobs, can’t dance or sing like a girl, would look foolish up there on the stage, would be the laughing stock of the school if I’m recognized and would be killed by the bullies. I’d never get a date; no girl would ever go out with me.”

“Is that all?” she said with a little laugh.

“What do you mean is that all?” I asked exasperated, not realizing that with that question, I had doomed myself to fall into the trap she set for me.

With a smile, which had I known better resembled the smile a trapped mouse sees in the eyes of a cat before pounced upon, she queried, “What if I can solve all of your problems, except the first one.”

Being clueless and afraid where this was heading, all I could say was an intelligent “HUH.”

Well I obviously cannot change you into a girl. I not a witch, even though right now you may think I’m one. What if I can give you breasts, teach you the dance moves, which will be easy, make you feel pretty, teach you to sing an octave higher, protect you at school, make you a hero, and promise at least one date with a very pretty and likeable girl.

I sat there thinking a moment too long and she knew she had caught me in her trap.

“That will be the day,” I mumbled. Without thinking about what my question really meant, I asked only one, “How will I be a hero?” Subconsciously, I knew that somehow she would be able to accomplish the rest.

With a genuine smile she said, “Do you what girls hate about boys?” Without giving me time to answer she continued, “It’s because boys are insensitive, they do not know what girls have to do to get pretty, do not know what is like to have a boy leering at them, do not know what it’s like for a girl to be apprehensive in going out with a boy. If you do this, you learn what girls go through and would be able to treat them right. You’d even be able to teach your friends what to do. Girls would think you are cool and a true hero. They would want to go out with you a brave sensitive guy.”

I must've hesitated a bit too long because her smile grew bigger and brighter she knew that she had caught me. If I could pull this off it would be a real coup, and might be fun after all. Smiling I said, “Okay, let's do it with two conditions. You have to promise me that you will carry through with your promises I won’t look like a fool.”

She walked toward me and stuck out her right pinky. I saw what she was doing, and stuck out mine. She touched hers against mine and flicked it, while doing she proclaimed, “Pinky Promise, friend.” I knew that Donna would at least try diligently to keep her promise, pinky promises were sacred amongst girls, and she would keep the promise.

Sherry must've gotten impatient because she started pounding against the door, demanding, Donna to let her in. Donna opened the door and she came barging in, demanding, “What the hell is happening? Why isn't she dressed yet? I will just strip her down myself and take care of business.”

I started to retreat from her, but backed into the wall. She looked terrifying.

“Stop it, now! I won’t be part of this if you’re going to act this way. Robin agreed to help us out, and I promised him that, everything would be fine. I won’t let you hurt him. He’s going to help us. If Barbara Anne hadn’t deserted us, we wouldn’t have to do this. Now get out, come back in a half an hour and Robin will be dressed and ready for us to rehearse.” She left the room and slammed the door even harder than before.

Donna faced me and said, “Robin, it's time to make you pretty and teach you to be a girl. I will do my best not to embarrass you, but you need to do what I say as quickly as possible or your sister will try and force you to do things in a way, you wouldn't like.”

Relying I uttered, "So, if I’m going to be the great pretender, what do I need to do? Let’s, get started.”

As Donna walked over to me and handed me a pair of panties and a bra, saying, “relax and put on a happy face.”

“Put these on. If you need help, call. I will step outside to give you some privacy.”

I did not expect that, I thought she was going to stay and humiliate me. That was not happening. Fingering the panties and determining the front by the tag, I was surprised they were cotton when I pulled them on. They felt lighter than my normal underwear. They did not have a fly opening. Otherwise, I did not sense anything different; I expected them to be, sexy, but I did not get an erection, surprising. I wondered if the panties were made of a different material or looked sexy, would my body have a different reaction. The bra was also made of cotton, and seemed quite plain. Struggling for a few moments to put it on, I finally gave up. I surmised that learning to wear a bra was a rite of passage between a mother and her daughter. Opening the door, Donna was standing there waiting for me

“I managed the panties, but I need help with the bra.”

She followed me into the room with a strange grin. She took the bra from me.

“Turn around. I figured you would need help. You, have to learn how to do it. Even then, it takes some time to get it right.” She said this as she reached around me, secured the bra, and showed me how to put my arms through the straps.

“You’re having fun, aren’t you? How old were you when you mom, helped you with your first bra?”

“It was a month after my 12th birthday. Mom and I had a fabulous day shopping, going to a show and eating in a fancy restaurant” Giggling, she added, “Sorry you missed doing this with your mom. You’re a little old for your first bra.”

After sticking my tongue out, she had me stand in front of her and looked me up and down. She noticed that the panties did not fit right.

“I guess we need to do something about that bulge.”

“Uh, why”

“Your outfit needs to fit right.”

“I can’t wear those!”

“We’ll find a way. But first, I have to fix your hair, and use some make up, to make you look cute.”

“Cute?”

With a twinkle, “What? You want Sexy?”

With a gulp, “Ah, no, I guess cute, will be okay?”

She motioned to the vanity, and nudged me into the chair.

“This is going to be easy. Your hair is long enough to style, and it’s really easy to manage,” as she started to brush and fuss with my hair.

As she was doing this, I regretted that I had not listened to my dad. I let my hair grow. I wanted to be cool, like the Beatles but was paying the price for my foolishness. “What are you going to do with it?”

“You’ll see. Don’t be a baby. I promised you’ll look cute, and I will also show you how to style your hair for the future.”

“Why would I want to do that? I start a job next week, and I need to look normal!”

“Well, you may want to look cute for some girl in the future, and what I am doing isn’t permanent. You’ll look like a boy on Monday.” With a little chuckle, “If you want to?”

While she was doing this, she had the mirror covered and I could not see what she was doing.

Done playing with my hair, she started examining my face.

“Hold still. I am going to put makeup on to bring out the cute. Not too much, since you’re a cutey to begin with. Today I will do everything, but tomorrow, you will learn to put on your own make-up, so you can do it yourself Saturday night.”

She started to do stuff to me. She took out brushes and pencils, and other feminine tools. I had never watched mom or sis put makeup on.The only item I recognized was a tube of lipstick, which was the last thing she applied. She turned the chair to face the mirror, pulled off the towel, and “Viola! My new cute girlfriend, Rockin Robin!”

I stared at the mirror. My reflection revealed a near replica of my cousin Ronnie. She was my mom’s sister’s daughter. She was a week older than I was. Growing up we were close. As well as being a cousin, she was my friend. I knew that she was a beautiful girl, and was quite popular. If I had to look like a girl, looking like her was all right.

“Why did you make me look like my cousin Ronnie?”

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve met my cousin, Ronnie, I look just like her”

“You’re right, it was not on purpose. Is it good or bad that you look like her?”

Blushing I confessed, “Ronnie is a beautiful girl, looking like her is okay.”

At that moment, I was sitting in a bra and panties, and looking like my cousin, a beautiful, 15 year old girl. I wondered what would happen next. A pounding on the door rudely interrupted that thought. Oh no, I thought the Wicked Witch of Long Island was back. Sure enough, my sister yelled quite clearly, “What’s happening, is she ready. I want to see the sissy.”

Donna, rushed to the door, stepped out, closing the door behind her, and growled, “Cut that shit already. I’m tired of your crap, I won’t put up with it. I warned you before. One more crack, negative comment, dirty look, and I’m done with you and this farce.I don’t know what you have against your brother, and why you hate him so, but he is being a good sport about this and is cooperating with me. So, stop it now or else. I pinky promised him, and I keep my promises. Well, what will it be?”

“You what? You pinky promised him. Why? Why would you Pinky promise that Twer…, I mean Robert? You agreed to make him into a sissy, didn’t you?”

“No. When you suggested it, and I agreed to go along, I thought it would be fun, and do no real harm. A little teasing, some jokes maybe. Seeing him on stage tapping, singing in the chorus, and running the show for those jerks downstairs, I knew he, yes he, Robert, your brother could do a good job, and pull off the masquerade. If we could do it, it would be a blast. No, I won’t demean him and for sure, he’s no sissy. So get off his case. Don’t be cruel.”

Sherry stuttered, “Okay, I’ll do what you say. I let you take care of everything”

“Good. I need to get Robin dressed. Somehow, we need to get him into all three costumes. I may need some help for that. Do you still have those falsies? Go get them now.”

My sister returned and I heard her say, “Here they are.”

“Good, your brother will now have boobs. We still need something to help the rest of her. Does your mother have any corsets or girdles?” I heard a “yes” from Sherry. “Okay go get them, bring them here, and leave them by the door. Go get the record player. She should be ready to start practicing in about a half hour.”

Donna reentered the room, I was sitting on the bed, in panties and a bra, a bra that was limp, smiling, she announced “Time to get you dressed and looking hot.”

I sighed, “Okay I guess I have no say in this. What are you going to do to me?”

“I’m not going to do anything to you, I just going to help you into your first dress. Actually, I’m going to help you into all three costumes. We wear one costume during the first half and two during the second. We wear one outfit over the second so that we can make quick changes. There are no changing rooms, and we have to make the switches quickly. You’ve seen us do it before, so you know what to expect.”

“Okay, let’s get started.”

She reached over, lifted the bra off my chest, and inserted something into the cups. When she was done, I looked down and I saw a pair of tits.

She whistled, “Wow, you look good, instant B cups, they fit you better than they did your sister.”

I gave her a questioning stare.

Tittering, “Your sister took a while to develop; she used those to enhance her image when she was the flattest girl in school.”

Though I was sitting in just panties and bra, I laughed for the first time that day.

“The first outfit, a sequined gown, is worn just before the break. We’ll be dancing to ‘Top of the Fair’. That’s going to be the hardest, because you’re zipped in tight, wearing stockings and dancing in heels. After the break, you wear two costumes. The top one is for ‘Rockaway Girl’. It’s a top and a mini skirt. The final costume worn underneath is for ‘Who Wears Short Shorts’.”

Glancing at the astonished look I was giving her, she said, “We’ll get it all to fit, with the proper support, you‘ll have all the right curves.”

Amazingly, my only reaction was, “I can’t wear heels; I will fall and kill myself.”

“You’re such a girl, worrying about the size of your heels and nothing else,” she laughed. “I guess short-shorts, miniskirts, blouses, and gowns will be a synch for you.”

Realized what I had said, I just stood there blushing even more then before while waiting for what would happen next.

“The costumes you’re going to wear were used by Diana. You remember her; she was with us when we were a quartet.”

I remembered her as a sweet, pretty red head, with green eyes, who had a larger build then the rest of the girls.

“You just might fit into her costume without too much difficulty.”

At that moment the door opened, Sherry peeked in and tossed garments to Donna. I could not tell what they were.

“Okay darling, now to make you shapely and help you fit your new garments.” She held up three items. “This is a corset, this is a panty girdle, and this is a waist cincher.” Playfully adding, “Robin, you and I will have to see which one gives you that teenage beauty queen look. We’ll use the corset and stockings for the gown. It’s too bad we can’t even get you into some tights.” Winking she teased, “Maybe we will do that some other time.”

I thought she was teasing, but who knows.

She proceeded to hold up the other garments against by body. She was murmuring something about how high on my body the garments rested.

“Okay, I think this waist cincher is best for the second set. It doesn’t ride up too high on your stomach, it will hold you in better, and I think it will keep ‘Happy’ concealed.”

“Happy?”

She pointed to my groin and said, “To look like a girl, we need to make sure that ‘Happy’ is not bulging or decides to stand at attention”

If I could have, I would have dug a hole all the way to China.

“Don’t be so embarrassed. I know you’re a guy, and I know that ‘Happys’ can become happy at inopportune times, and we can’t let that happen while were on stage. We want to fool everyone and not give away your secrets’ Step into these, pull them up as high as you can. Just before you get to the top of your crotch, tuck Happy between your legs. I will then pull the cincher as tight as I can, and then I will zip it up. Take a deep breath as I do so.”

Struggling into the garment, I pulled it up my legs, and as it reached the top, I did as she said. It felt painful in my groin as she zippered me up, and I had difficulty breathing for a few seconds, until I caught my breath.

As I was looking in the mirror, she circled me twice. The reflection was that of a cute 15-year-old girl. Only this time there was no unsightly unfeminine bulge revealing itself.

“You look wonderful Robin. I am sure we can pull this off and fool everyone. If your sister cooperates, I bet we can even fool the guys in the band, including Jackie.”

“You’re sure. You’re positive that no one will know that it’s Robert on the stage.” While I was saying that, I wondered what kind of fool am I.

“No one will know; let’s get you dressed.”

At her instruction, I put on the shorts. Donna helped by pulling and tugging, until they rode on and we could button and zip it. They were truly short shorts. I could not imagine how anyone could wear such a garment for a long time.

The blousecame next. It was pink and translucent. The one I was wearing looked different from the one I normally saw on the girls. Theirs was tied off just below the bosom, and showed quite a large area between the bottom of the blouse and the top of the short, including leaving the belly button. Mine covered my entire body, with no skin showing.

“Why is my shir uh blouse is different from the ones you normally wear?”

“Ah, you are perceptive. I do not think that you would like to have your waist cincher showing. That would attract too much attention, and might give away some secrets?”

“Sherry would have made me wear the regular blouse I bet, just to embarrass me.”

“I’m not your sister. I keep my promises”

Sherry came into the room, looked at me. You could tell she was shocked. “He, ah she looks like Ronnie. How’d you do it?” Donna just smiled and said nothing.

They had me put on a low pair of heels and I practiced moving about and dancing. Next, they had me dress in the mini skirt and a pair of flats. Again, I practiced moving and dancing. Finally, came the time to put on the gown. Donna told Sherry, she could only stay if she behaved herself. She promised to do so. They had me take off the waist cincher and bra. Then things got weirder.

Standing there in just my panties, yeah I think of them as my panties, they had me go into the bathroom and grab the towel bar. Donna wrapped something around my waist. I had never seen such a garment before. When they finished tying me in, I could hardly breathe. We walked back to Sherry’s room and they helped me sit. I was shown how to roll stockings up my leg and attach them to what they called garter tabs. They stood me up. The stockings went taught. Then Donna took a piece of material that hung in front of my crotch, and brought it between my legs and secured it to the back of the garment. At that moment, I had chills running up and down my spine. Between the sensations of the garment, the tug of the stockings, the pressure of the strap between my legs, my senses ran wild. ‘Happy’ was surely reacting to the various sensations. I got weak and almost fell. Since I was dressed as a girl, I guess I swooned. To tell the truth I’m all shook up.

Sherry started to laugh, but Dona cut her off and threw her out of the room. Donna helped me sit and brought me a glass of water.

“I thought that might happen sooner than it did. Relax. Tell the truth, the clothes feel great? Welcome to the world of sexy girls’ clothing.”

She said it in a comforting way and I was not mad at her. She placed my foot into a pair of 3-inch heels. I practiced walking and dancing, until I could move about the room; not with ease, but I did not stumble either.

The final thing added was some jewelry, some baubles, bangles, and beads.

Finally, it was 7:00 P.M.; we had been at this since 2:30, with only a short break for pizza. Sherry was out in the hall when I heard the front door open and shut. Mom yelled, “Kids, I’m home.” Sherry ran down the stairs, yelling, “Hey mom, guess what I have to tell you”

A feeling of dread came over me. I looked at Donna. She shrugged. We continued practicing the steps and lyrics for ‘Rockaway Girl’, with me decked out in a miniskirt. My confidence had waned, and the steps were sloppy and I no longer sang in tune. About 10 minutes later, mom called, “Robert get down here immediately, and don’t dawdle.”

Followed by Donna, I walked demurely down the steps. I was dressed in a white miniskirt and a sheer pink blouse. I wore sandals with a one-inch heel and was wearing light make-up; both my fingernails and toenails were painted a light pink, and my hair was styled. I looked like a typical 15-year-old high school co-ed, with a strong resemblance to my cousin Ronnie.

We got down the stairs. My mother was standing in the living room, with Sherry next to her. Stopping a few feet in front of mom, I cringed under her willowing glances. She looked me up and down. Her expression was strange. I expected one of total disgust, but that is not what I saw. A sound of silence emanated from her. I could not describe what she was likely thinking. I knew the proverbial shit was about to hit the fan and did not say a thing. Silence is golden in my book.

After staring at me for what seemed ages, but was likely only a minute, she inquired, “I understand that you told Sherry that you want to be a girl rather than a boy. She told me that you asked her to help you get dressed in girls’ clothing, learn how to put makeup on, have your hair styled, and appear on stage with her and Donna. She said that you told her that you always wanted to be a girl since you were little.”

While she was saying this, I glanced at my sister and Donna. With a look of total disgust on my face, I stared at Sherry. She returned my stare. It seemed as if she was challenging me to contradict her. I thought she must have lost her mind. Donna looked at me; I knew she would stand by me. I continued to stand there silently.

“We’ll young man, by the way you do not look like a young man, what do you have to say for yourself, and don’t lie.”

“I never said I wanted to be a girl; never said I did not want to be a boy; never asked them to dress me as a girl, fix my hair, and paint my finger and toes, put makeup on me, not today and not ever. Sherry is being careless with the truth. This all started because Barbara Anne did not show up for practice. Donna and Sherry were unable to think of anyone to replace her, and somehow decided to pick me as her substitute.” I stopped to take a breath. During my rendition, my sister had been making faces and comments under her breath.

“Sherry stand still!Stop making faces and don’t mumble. Stop looking at Donna. I want you to pay attention to every word Robert says, because you’ll have a turn when he is done.’ To me she instructed, “Please continue. This sounds like an interesting story, just like ‘Some Like It Hot’.”

Indignantly, “It is not a story. Everything I told you is the truth.” I continued to relate everything that happened from the moment they dragged me up the stairs until, the moment I walked into the living room.

“Did your brother help instigate this,” she asked? Not sure if she was asking my sister or me, we both answered. I replied, “Yes, he was involved.” Accusingly she answered, “Actually he started it.”

“Where is he? He was not in the garage when I came home.”

Sherry said, “He’s at Gaudio’s.”

Mom told her to call the Gaudio’s house and get Mrs. Gaudio on the phone.

“Hi Maybelline is Jackie there.” Pause. “Please send him home immediately. Tell him to do so quickly and I want him here in five minutes.” Pause.“No major problems, just something between him and his brother and sister that needs to be resolved.” Pause. “He’s on his way. Thanks May, have a good night.”

No one had moved an inch the whole time. Mom started questioning me about what had occurred. Many of the questions were embarrassing. Donna answered some also. Sherry was quiet and did not say anything.

Her final question was, “If you did not want this to happen why did you not stop it, after all you’re a boy and should have done so.”

Pausing I contemplated my answer. Mom seemed upset, that I did not answer her immediately, but I waited a few more moments to formulate my response.

“I could have prevented them from dragging me upstairs, and probably stopped them at any time after that. However, I could not stop them. To do so would have required me to use force, hit them, knock them down, or do something physical.” I paused and looked at all three of them individually. “Both of them would have been hurt. I could not do that. You and dad, but especially dad taught me never to strike a woman. He told me that a gentleman doesn’t do that and he would be ashamed of a son who did so. Therefore, I could not do anything. Since you weren’t home to intercede, I had no recourse. Then Donna and I talked and we reached an understanding based on mutual promises. I decided to go ahead and help out.”

As I said that, Donna gave me a strange look, and my brother walked into the living room. He immediately started to laugh hysterically, point to me, and yelled, “Look at that sissy fairy.”

Mom screamed, “Stop it this instant, or you’ll be in worse trouble then you’re in now. What do you know about your brother being dressed like this?”

Stammering, he pointed to Sherry “It was her idea. She wanted to do this to him. I had nothing to do with it.”

Sherry retorted, “No, you don’t blame this on me. It may have been my idea, but you thought it was okay, and we bet on it. You’re the one to call him a sissy and a fag, and got your friends to stop him from leaving.”

Mom looked at each of us, with a look that could kill. “Well, I’m waiting for the truth.”

“Mrs. Goode, I guess it’s up to me. Robert is telling you the truth. He left out a little about what we did to him, but that is all. Sherry and I came up with the idea when we could not find anyone else to replace Barbara Anne. To tell the whole truth, I was in full support. I meant it as a joke, but it got out of hand. Mrs. Goode, I apologize.” She faced me, “Robert, I am sorry!”

“I guess that puts an end to this nonsense. Robert will not perform with you on Saturday night. You’re grounded. I will tell you how long tomorrow and what other punishment there is.” To my siblings, she ordered, “Go to your rooms, and don’t come out except for the bathroom. Robert go upstairs and I will help you get the makeup off your face. Donna go home now!”

“Mom, you cannot do that. It’s not fair to the ‘Helping Hands’ kids or their folks. They spent a lot of time putting the show together. They decorated the lodge. Bought food and sold tickets. Lots of kids are coming. If you cancel the show, it will hurt a lot of people.”

Shocked expressions were on everyone’s face, including my own. My mom stared at me for a few minutes. “You actually mean that don’t you. You’re willing to go through with this.Why?”

“I’m scared to death about it. If I’m discovered, I'm dead. If I’m not killed, I will be the laughing stock of the school. But, too many people will be hurt. Most important, I gave my word to Donna to do this. I’ve learned from you, and in Boy Scouts that your word is your honor. So I can’t back out.”

“And if I say no?”

“Then I have no choice. I will obey you. And no, I won’t try to change your mind about saying no. It would be an out for me, but one I won’t initiate it.”

Turning to my siblings, who were staring at me, she said, “You two get upstairs now. I have to think about this. All three of you come down to breakfast at 7:00 and I will let you know what will happen. Donna, you go upstairs with Robert and help her, I mean him, remove the makeup. Then leave. Robert, call me if you need help with your clothing. Now all of you get going.”

My brother and sister were out of there in an instant. As Donna and I walked up the stairs, I heard my mom on the phone. I heard her say “Hello Dolly,” she was calling her sister. As we reached the top, Donna kissed me on the cheek. I looked at her quizzically. She smiled and said, “You’re too good to be true.”

“Huh”

“How come you’ve never asked Wendy out?”

“Huh, what”

“You heard me”

“Me ask Wendy for a date. She’s the most popular girl in school. She’s smart, pretty, and is part of the in crowd. She can have any guy she wants. Why’d Wendy want to go out with me? I’d look like a jerk asking her. You promised no teasing.”

“What if I told you she thinks you’re cute, and would say yes to you asking her out in a second.”

“Your nuts!”

“I promised you a date with a pretty girl. Will Wendy do? If you ask her out, you will make someone happy. Actually, you will make two someones happy, both Wendy and you. Now go and change out of that dress and blouse. Hang them up. First turn around and I will loosen the waist cincher. When you’re done, meet me in the bathroom”

I did as she said. Wondering as I did so about my dating Wendy.

She helped me remove the makeup and nail polish. She was going to do something with my hair. I told her to wait, until tomorrow to do that. After she left, I took a shower and went into my room.

As I lay in bed, in the still of the night, unable to sleep, I knew I made the honorable decision, I wondered if I made the smart decision. Mom had given me a way out. She would prohibit me from doing this. I could escape and blame her. Why didn’t I do it? I hope I did not make a mistake. Before I fell asleep, she knocked and entered the room and sat on my bed, and stroked my hair. She gave me a look and I saw my mother’s eyes.

“I told Donna to leave it. Depending upon what you decide, the hair can wait until morning. Have you made a decision?”

“No, not yet. I am not sure what I will do, but I will probably stop this. I spoke with your Aunt Dolly, and your father will be calling in about ten minutes. Yes, I’m going to tell him what happened. He and I have no secrets. She smiled at me. “You meant what you said?

Sheepishly, “Yes mom. Dad told me, that a man has to stand by his word. I will do what I have to keep my word, but if you stop me, it will be your decision and not mine.”

“We'll discuss this in the morning. Good night Robert,” she kissed my head. As she reached, the door she stopped smiled and whispered, “You make me proud. You walk like a man and talk like a man my son.”

I was tossin and turning all night.

The next morning at 7:00, I went down to breakfast. Jackie and Sherry were already there. Mom entered just after I sat. Donna accompanied her. We waited for her decision.

Astonishingly looking at me, she started, “Robin, my son Robert convinced me that the show needs to go on. Until after the show on Saturday night, you will remain Robin. After breakfast, you and Donna, will get you changed into Robin and begin practicing for the show. Donna, after you think she’s ready, rehearsals with the band will begin and will continue until you are proficient.” She looked at my sibs and said, “You will both prepare for the show as if nothing unusual is happening. You will tell everyone that you got a cousin Robin to help. You will say that Robert had to go out of town. If anyone asks about what happened yesterday, you will tell them that after Robert went upstairs, he left. If you tell anyone, anything that will cause Robert any harm, your punishment will be a lot greater than what I’ve planned. You punishment will start Sunday morning. Jackie perhaps you can learn from your brother how to be a man. Sherry you should learn from Donna how to act like a lady. Now eat breakfast and get going”

Throughout the remainder of Friday and most of Saturday, I practiced being Robin and preparing for the show. On Friday afternoon Sherry, Donna, and I began rehearsing with the band. My sister and brother were on their best behavior. They followed mom’s script. The boys in the band were either completely fooled or played along with the charade. However, no one asked where Robert was.

Mom thought it best that I remain in girl mode all day Friday and Saturday. So even when we were not practicing I dressed like a girl. No, I did not sleep in a nightie, just my regular pajamas.

The show was to start at 7:30P.M. Normally, I went with the guys to set up the lights, amps, and mikes two hours earlier. The Jockeyettes usually arrived an hour later. As they were preparing to leave, Robert was missed. There was no one who could set up the equipment, but me. As panic took hold, even Mom had no idea how to act. The girls, yes I considered myself one of the girls were present while this was occurring. I found myself between Scylla and Charybdis. I should have told my brother to hit the road Jack. Even if some of them were jerks, I could either abandon my friends and family or break the disguise and subject myself to humiliation.

In Robert’s voice, I ordered, “Donna, you and Sherry take my outfits, I’ll go set up the equipment.” Seven shocked faces stared at me. I did not let anyone say a thing, as I lifted the control panel and walked toward the Chevy 409 and the Woody station wagon. “Come on, we got to get everything set-up”

The ride to the lodge was silent. We got there and set up the equipment. When Mom and the girls arrived, I went into the ladies’ room, did my own hair and makeup, and let Donna and Mom get me into the first outfit. I was in a slinky dress, stockings, and 3inch heels, my hair was styled, and I was wearing jewelry. Truthfully, I guess I could sing that I feel pretty.

I saw Mom leave. She headed for some people waiting for the show to start. Sherry came over to me, kissed my cheek, and said, “Robert, I’m sorry. I’ve been horrible to you. You’re really brave to do this. Thanks.”

Donna joined us. “Robert relax. To nights the night, it will all be over in two hours. The guys promised to behave and won’t say anything. Jackie and I let them know what will happen if they say anything.”

Despite what they were saying, I knew it was going to be a comedy tonight.

The show started. In a trance, I hardly remembered going on stage for the first number. I shimmied and shaked and sang about going on a date to the ‘Top of the Fair, because my boyfriend’s back from college. Hearing applause catcalls and whistles we were strolling off the stage.

The girls led me to the ladies’ room, where we would have to change outfits for the next set. I froze as we approached the door. There was a line of girls waiting to enter, many of whom I knew from school.

“I can’t go in there. It’s the ladies’ room.”

They laughed. “Well you can’t use the men’s room dressed like that. No one will recognize you. Just go in and get changed.”

I took a deep breath, entered and walked to a corner of the ladies room set aside for us. As I waited for Donna to help me with my dress, someone tapped my shoulder. Fearfully, I spun around to look at who had tapped me and I stared into the eyes of my cousin Ronnie.

“Hi cuz. Robin, can I help you with your zipper?”

I gave her a withering glance. I felt betrayed. As I pulled away from her I challenged, “What are you doing here? Who asked you to come? Are you here to humiliate me?”

She looked devastated by my accusation. She approached me crying. In a whisper, “Robert, I’m sorry. Your mom told my mom, about what you were doing. We just had to see what was going on. Don’t worry; no one knows it’s you. You fooled everyone. I just wanted to come back and tell you how brave and special you are to do this. Don’t be upset with me, please. I can’t take my eyes off of you, you’re so perfect.”

Relenting I said, “Okay. So help me with the zipper.”

She did that and untied the corset. Entering a stall, I got out of the gown. Donna helped me with the waist cincher, and I got dressed for the remaining numbers. While freshening my makeup, I realized that I had been in the ladies room for twenty minutes, and it did not affect me. I guess if I could pass so easily, the times they are a changing.

Wearing a miniskirt and blouse, I returned to the stage for the first song of the next set, ‘Rockaway Girl’. I looked out into the crowd and noticed my father, sitting with my mom. As I ran from the stage, Donna shoved me back and the music started. I did not want a scene so I danced and sang. Throughout the performance, I was fuming at my mom. Asking Aunt Dolly and Ronnie to come was bad enough. But dad coming home early to see me dressed like this and prancing away on the stage was both devastating and humiliating. When the song finished, I left the stage. I had tears in my eyes. Donna and Sherry could tell that something was bothering me.Donna calmed me and whispered, “Big Girls Don’t Cry.”Smiling, I told them not to worry and got ready for my stage debut wearing short shorts. I decided to give it my all.

The music started.

Belmont Racers: Ooh man, dig that crazy chick.

Belmont Racers: Who wears short shorts?

Jockeyettes: We wear short shorts.

Belmont Racers: They're such short shorts.

Jockeyettes: We like short shorts.

Belmont Racers: Who wears short shorts?

Jockeyettes We wear short shorts.

I sang those linesrepeatedly; I danced up and down the stage, wiggled my derriere, and smiled. I shook rattled and rolled.

We exited the stage, to calls for an encore. We gleefully obliged. If asked about this a week ago, I would have thought this impossible. Today I would say it’s possible.

As the show ended, my father approached me. I expected the worst; a condemnation and punishment. I got just the opposite. He teased a little about having two pretty daughters, but then he told me how proud he was of me for doing what I did. He then said something strange, regarding learning about women by walking in their heels, almost as if he had done so himself.

What happened next was most unexpected it was the best thing to occur in my life. Wendy came over to me. I did not even know she was there. She pulled me outside.

“Robert Goode, I’m goin’ out of my head waiting for you to ask me out? How much longer will it be.? There’s a turnabout dance next week. If you won’t ask me for a date, I’ll ask you to the dance. So, what’s your answer, and it better be yes.”

“Wendy, I would be delighted to go to the dance with you and I will be lovely for you. Even dressed in a pair of short shorts, I was a proper gentleman.

“Good, you will have to wear a proper dress. That gown, the mini, and those shorts just won’t do. I will pick something out just right.”She kissed me after I told her that, “I’d do anything for you dear, anything.” I couldn’t resist and returned the kiss.No need for Love Potion Number 9.
“Oh what a night, Oh what a night.” No, we did not do anything that night other than kiss.
That had to wait for our Honeymoon five years later.

My wearing short shorts had finally brought us together. On many special occasions, I wore short shorts and other girly clothes. When I was Robin, my sometimes alter ego I enjoy being a girl. When a man loves a woman, he got a whole lot of loving to do.

Ft. Lauderdale.

Wendy was trying to detect if I was wearing short shorts. Well, I was wearing a pair of the shortest pink short shorts under my suit. Initially I thought that that week in June 1964, was the worst thing that could happen to me. In retrospect it lead to me getting married to Wendy. As we left the theater, she smiled at me and said, “Love me tender, love me true.”

Oh What a Night.


Who Wears Short Shorts
words and music by Bob Gaudio
as performed by The Royal Teens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvjXAtzaMU

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Once is enough

Once is enough. I grew in the 50s / 60s up so the references were fun this time. I am not sure I caught all of the allusions, but I suspect I caught most. The plot was good so that I enjoyed the story, either because or in spite of the references. I wonder how non antiques will react to the story.

DJ

Antiques?

Andrea Lena's picture

I suppose I am; I'm considered a mid-century classic. And so is this story! Thank you, dear Rami!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you

Dear Andrea

Thanks for your help in posting this. It looks graet. Special thanks for adding the link to Who Wears short shorts.

Rami

RAMI

Hehe...I really like this

Hehe...I really like this one. But what ashole siblings...

thank you for writing this funny story,

Beyogi

Young'un

Born in '88 I still caught a bunch of them. Though I probably missed a lot too.

Having a dad who listens to most music from 50's to the 80's does help :)

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

In 1988 ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

My son was ten years old and I celebrated both 22 years of marriage (46 next month!) and teaching.

I think I got them all. Rami be good and post the answers (Okay, it's a paraphrase and I left off an e - sue me)

BE a lady!

Short shorts

Rami made a cute story drawing from the memories of many songs.
Like the idea of the friend intervening and the sister and brother being held in check.
So how did Wendy catch on if Robin looked so real? Don't care so much about the answer but Robin/Robert on a date with Wendy could make a story of its own.

The real friendship of Donna and Robin/Robert seems to be the unspoken story.
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

wow

what emories youre story brought back.
robert

001.JPG

Ronnie = Help me Rhonda?

Rami,

I loved it, Great story line and I had great time trying to pick out the references. Some were suttle some not so much. May be you could repost this with references pointed out to those of us not sure we caught them all and for the younger crowd if you do not think it would take away from your story.

Hugs

Barb

Barb Allan

Rockin' Robin

joannebarbarella's picture

Feelgood happy ending story. He should have been Johnny B. Good(e). I just loved the references and Robert really became The Little Red Rooster,

Joanne

Posting A List Of Songs/Groups/Musicals

For those of you interested, I plan to post a list of all the songs, musicals, groups, etc. on either Monday or Tuesday, Most likely in a blog.

Rami

RAMI

Great story. I lost count of

Great story. I lost count of all the references you used, probably inferred some of my own.

Delightful story - But I'm woried...

Ole Ulfson's picture

I recognized all the references but surely I'm not THAT old. A very clever story, Rami, and supremely entertaining! A happy ending too. All the best things.

Thank you,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Who Wears Short SHorts List of Songs/Musicals

This is a lsit of the songs/musicals/groups/characters I used in my story. The groups listed for songs are the one that either was the first to sing it or most identified with the song.
Thanks for reading. Thanks for the comments. Thanks for the Kudos. I hope you enjoyed it.

Rami
Please forgive the layout. I tried to do proper columns, but after two attempts this is the best I can do ;-(.

1 Oh What a Night The Four Seasons 1963 Song
2 Put Your Head On My Shoulder Paul Anka 1959 Song
3 (I) Try To Remember The Fantastics 1960 Musical -Song
4 Sherry The Four Seasons 1962 Song
5 Jack/Jackie Limbo Rock/Chubby
Checker & Puff the Magic Dragon Peter, Paul & Mary1962 Song
6 Donna Richie Vallens 1958 Song
7 Duke of (and) Earl Gene Chandler 1962 Lyric/Song
8 Louie Louie Richard Berry 1955 Song
9 Jaybird Street Bobby Day 1958 Lyric (Rockin Robin)
10 Shangri Las Rock-n-Roll Group 1960s Group
11 Beach Boys Rock-n-Roll Group 1960-2012 Group
12 Four Seasons Rock-n-Roll Group 1960-2012 Group
13 Cousin Brucie Disc Jockey WABC 1960s Disc Jockey
14 Kasey Kasem Disc Jockey KLRA 1960s Disc Jockey
15 Wolfman Jack Disc Jockey 1960s Disc Jockey
16 Barbara Anne The Regents/Beach Boys) 1961 Song
17 General Jubilation T. Cornpone Li’l Abner 1956 Musical/Character
18 Mary Lou Ricky Nelson 1961 Song
19 Leader of the Pack Shangri Las 1964 Song
20 The Lion Sleeps Tonight Various/Weavers/The
Tokens/ Kingston Trio/Solomon Linda 1961 Song
21 Daisy Ma(y)e/Lil Abner Li’L Abner 1956 Musical/Character
22 Run Around Sue Dion and Del Satins 1961 Song
23 Wake Up Little Susie Everly Brothers 1957 Song
24 ust Met a Girl Named Maria/Tony West Side Story 1957 Musical Song and Characters
25 Rolf Sound of Music 1959 Musical Character
26 Shout Isley Brothers 1959 Song
27 Boy For Sale Oliver (Song) 1963 Musical Song
28 Mack Mack the Knife – Bobby
Darrin& Louis Armstrong 1957/1961 Song
29 Yakedy Yak Don’t Talk Back Coasters 1958 Song
30 If I Had a Hammer Weavers/Peter Paul
& Mary 1949/1962 Song
31 Up On The Roof The Drifters 1962 Song
32 Ain’t That a Shame Fats Domino 1955 Song
33 All Shook Up Elvis Presley 1957 Song
34 Who Can I Turn To Roar of the Grease Paint
Smell of The Crowd 1962 Musical Song
35 Splish Spash Bobby Darin & Murray K 1957 Song Lyric
36 Rag Doll Four Seasons 1964 Song
37 That Will Be The Day Buddy Holly 1958 Song
38 Great Pretender Platters 1955 Song
39 Put on A Happy Face Bye Bye Birdie 1960 Musical
40 Rockin Robin Bobby Day 1958 Song
41 Ronnie The Four Seasons 1964 Song
42 Don’t Be Cruel Elvis 1956 Song
43 Who Wears Short Shorts Royal Teens 1957 Song
44 Diana Paul Anka 1957 Song
45 What Kind of Fool Am I Stop The World I
Want To Get Off 1961 Musical/Song
46 I’m All Shook Up Elvis 1957 Song
47 Baubles, Bangles and Beads Kismet 1953 Musical Song
48 Sounds of Silence Simon & Garfinkel 1964 Song
49 Silence is Golden Four Seasons 1964 Song
50 Stand by me Ben E. King 1961 Song
51 Careless With the Truth Calamity Jane 1963 Musical Song
52 Some Like It Hot Movie Title 1959 Movie
53 Gaudio Bob Gaudio Composer/
artist - Royal Teens & Four Seasons 1956-2012 Composer/Musician
54 Maybelline Chuck Berry 1955 Song
55 Mrs. Goode Johnny B. Goode 1958 Song Character
56 Hello Dolly Broadway Musical 1964 Musical and Musical Song
57 Your Too Good To Be True Four Seasons Song
58 Make Someone Happy Do Re Mi 1960 Musical Song
59 In The Still Of the Night Five Satins 1956 Song
60 Walk Like A Man My Son Four Seasons 1963 Song
61 Tossin and Turning Bobby Lewis 1961 Song
62 Hit The Road Jack Ray Charles 1961 Song
63 /409 Beach Boys 1962 Song
64 I Feel Pretty Wetside Story 1957 Musical Song
65 To Nights The night Shirelles 1961 Song
66 Strolling The Diamonds 1957 Song Lyric
67 A Comedy Tonight A Funny Thing Happened
on the Way to the Forum 1956 Musical Song
68 My Boy Friends Back Angels 1963 Song
69 I Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You Four Seasons Song
70 Times They Are A changing Bob Dylan 1963 Song
71 Big Girls Don’t Cry Four Seasons 1962 Song
72 Shake Rattle and Roll Big Joe Turner/Bill
Haley and His Comets 1954 Song
73 Impossible, It’s Possible Cinderella 1957 Musical Song
74 Goin Out Of My Head Little Anthony & The
Imperials 1964 Song
75 Lovely A Funny Thing Happened
on the Way to the Forum 1956 Musical Song
76 A Proper Gentleman Half a Six Pence 1963 Song
77 Love Potion Number 9 Clovers 1959 Song
78 I’d Do Anything For You Dear Oliver 1963 Musical Song
79 I Enjoy Being A Girl Flower Drum Song 1958 Musical Song
80 When A Man Loves A Woman Percy Sledge 1966 Song
81 Whole Lotta Loving Fats Domino 1958 Song
82 The Worst That Could Happen 5th Demension/Brooklyn
Bridge 1968 Song
83 Love Me Tender, Love Me true Elvis Presley 1956 Song

RAMI

Oh what a night

Great story and a happy ending as well.I got most of your references and your list gave me the rest.It was a magical time growing up in the 50s and 60s a more innocent and safer world.Thank you once again for a good read.

devonmalc

Not bad

I enjoyed the story. I also thought Mom's response was appropriate.

Thank you

Thank you for the wonderful story. I really enjoyed it. Would love to read more about Robert/Robin, Donna, Ronnie, and Wendy. This story though is great on its own.

Hah, Good Fun

kristina l s's picture

Apart from a couple of narrow eyed glares at the sibs early on I smiled all the way through this. I might have missed a couple of songs but I think I caught most of them, I will admit however the title one has passed me by. Hey no matter, great stuff.

Kristina

A little later

Podracer's picture

But at the title it was Freddie and the Dreamers that I heard :)
Hehe, it was fun falling over all of the musical references. I spotted many, there were some characters and programs I had never heard of.
Thanks I enjoyed this.

"Reach for the sun."