The Chosen One Part three

Printer-friendly version


The Chosen One

Part Three

by

Jacquimac

The Doctors monitored Leia at all times while she was within the machine and within twenty four hours the changes were noticed, Miranda carefully added the various drugs and ensured that the levels were correct. On the second day it was noticed that things were not going exactly as planned but it was too late to stop the proceedure and they would have to see it out to it's end. Day three and the unexpected changes continued to happen and the doctors had a meeting to talk about the possible outcome, Miranda who had examined carefully studied the read outs of the proceedure so far assured them that the changes seemed purely cosmetic although they would have to have a full testing of the child after she had recovered and so it went for remainder of the proceedure, the changes did seem superficial but they would have to wait until everything was finished.

The day arrived when the machine opened and everyone could get a better view the child, still unconscious Leia was placed on an examination table and scanned and probed, the child was now a fully function female although her mental capacity was still an unknown.

The child was more beautiful than anyone would have imagined, DNA resequencing wasn't new to these doctors but even the best laid plans don't always work they would like then.

Leia woke up back in her quarters and Miranda was sitting by the side of her bed, the child didn't feel any different in herself and was comfortable so fell into a deep but natural sleep,once the child was sleeping Miranda slipped a set headphones onto her and set the recording running, Leia as she slept was starting her education and if all went well the child would be able to speak to the Doctors in their own language.

An over the bed scanner scanned the child for her measurements and clothing was prepared of the correct size, Miranda couldn't believe how beautiful the child had turned out although her eyes were almond shaped and her hair was the colour of pure silver.
What other changes had occurred, had the childs own DNA had a unknown factor that they couldn't detect ? had there been more internal changes to the Brain although the structure remained the same ?, well only time would tell but for now the child needed the recuperatory power of sleep.

After a few days Leia stopped spending most of her days asleep, and was hungry, Miranda took her down to get a meal after she had dressed. Leia hadn't once looked at or asked for a mirror so she hadn't seen the changes that had been made to her body as a whole. Leia hadn't spoken yet and Miranda wondered if her vocal cord were damaged, but thinking about it maybe the child hadn't spoken as she had nothing to say at the moment, well once they had eaten Miranda would start the conversation.

Nobody outside except the doctors had seen Leia yet and they were going to be surprised though Miranda, never for a moment had she expected the childs looks to surpass their own. Miranda watching Leia had notice that the colour of her eyes changed, the hair that looked like pure silver went through subtle changes of colour going through the whole spectrum of colour, YES the outcome of Leia's change had certainly produced some unexpected results.

After they had eaten Miranda heard Leia ask if she would ever see her people again but the childs lips hadn't moved, excitement was building up in Miranda, the child was telepathic, what else was she capable off? what other surprises were in store to be dicovered?.

"I don't actually the answer to that Leia, that depends on you as it will be your choice to see them or not" said Miranda as she led Leia back to the hospital. Leia suddenly realised that Miranda had answered her question and she hadn't even asked about her people.

"Miranda, back in the dining room you answered a question I was thinking about but hadn't asked. Can you read minds?" asked Leia

"No child we can't read minds but it seems that you can now" replied Miranda

"While you were undergoing the change something happened, what we don't know but your hair and eyes are different to what they should been and you seem to be telepathic, I'll explain about telepathy later, but come have a look in the mirror as see for yourself what you look like" she continued

She led Miranda to a full length mirror and heard the gasp of surprise.

"I look beautiful, almost like you Great Ones" she said in amazement

"Well to be honest you should have ended up looking exactly like one us, but for some reason your body seems to have made a few changes off it's own" said Miranda

"Over the a period of time we shall find out what you are capable off doing, if you notice anything or do anythink in an usual way let me know at once, it's for everyones safety" she continued

The rest of day Miranda showed Leia various areas she wasn't to enter, purely as a safety measure, in time Leia would meet the children from the other villages that had been also been changed but for know getting her started on her education was the important thing just now as well as finding out what changes had occured to the child.

Being so young meant that Leia was very adaptable, children were from an early age but at a certain age they started to become set in their ways and the ways of their clans and tribes, that was why children this young were selected and from talking to the child and watching her Miranda knew that this child even before the change was very intelligent.

The complex was huge to anything Leia had ever seen before, there was one room that could have held the whole village, buildings, people, livestock and the lake. This was a recreation room were you run around the track, or play a ball game or just relax. Leia asked if she was permitted to go into the forest and was told that it would be dangerous for her just now, she accept the restriction but did miss her walks through the trees.

It hadn't occurred Leia that she conversing with Miranda and the others that she was using their language, could now read and write it to an acceptable level although she was taking language as a lesson until she was fluent. She didn't know that her lessons had begun while she was going the sleep phase of her recovery, every night she had to sleep with a cap on, she didn't know that she still learning her lessons while asleep.

"These people very clever, they have changed me into girl and are teaching me things I never knew existed" she thought

Days passed into weeks and then months, everyday Leia attended her lessons sometimes alone and sometimes if it required a teacher but learn she did, Leia soaked up what the taught her and came back for more.

It had been a year since she left the Village and she often thought of Mardra and the other Wise Ones and in a way missed the village and the people, but she was kept busy with her lessons. She come to know of the adults in complex although she had seen some in strange oufits that they used for various tasks. The man who spoke to her when she first arrived Mirak was his name, knocked on her door and entered when she released the lock.

"Leia, you have very well since you have been with us, you are well liked by all the people that know you but now it time for you to meet the other children and see the rest of our home, will you please come with me" asked Mirak

"Are these children your children and the children or your people?" asked Leia

"Child you are one of children now, but I know what you mean. No the children you are meeting were not born of us they like you came from other villages that were and still are in great danger" he replied

Mirak led the way to a room Leia had been in before, it was a room of many doors and as they entered children and escorts entered through the other doors, and they and Leia joined the ones that were already seated. Chilren were seated in one area and the escorts in another area and the children were all in the same age group. A bell sounded and the room fell quiet, an old man entered and took his place in the center of the adults.

"Gooday to you children my name is Brisan and the leader here" he started

"Today you meet for the first time and you will be spending a lot time together, I will first explain why you were kept apart. The main reason was you needed time to adjust to your new life and gain a basic education an education that will now be accelerated, now one of you turned out slightly different from the rest" he paused and looked at the children closely

"Leia, will you please come here" he said when he saw her at the back

Leia went and joined Brisan who took her hand

"This is Leia,as you can all see she looks slighly different from the rest of us, but be that as it may there are other differences that none of you will see, for instance she is telepahic, her eyes allow her to see in the dark and a few other difference that I think will show in time. Be that as it may she is still one of us and will be treated with same respect we all give each other. I've been getting good reports about Leia and from today she is the senior member of your group, she is going to be your leader one day and you all need to get to know and trust each other." he continued

The talking went on for about an hour and finally they were taken to another part of the complex which was to be their new home, each room for equipped for two people and the were soon paired up and left alone to settle in until time for a meal.

Leia paired up with a girl called Anika who came from a village not far from were Leia came from, but she had been a girl from birth. Anika had heard that a few had been from boys although exactly half of their group were still boys. This a questions among the children, were they to paired up when they were old enough ?.

Someone asked why some were changed and if they were happy, Leia told the group that she was happy and why not, they were after all is sadi and done meant for some task, they were looked well after , getting a good education in things they had never heard of, they were well fed and clothed and better still their bets weren't rush mats on the floor of a hut.

Nobody it seemed was unhappy about what had been done them, but Leia was getting annoyed with everyone fussing about how hair looked, how her skin seemed finer to the touch and the way her eyes flashed from colour to colour. One boy stepped forward and asked "I wonder why they made a girl the leader of our group" there was no reply from anyone but nobody seemed put out by it.

Brisan entered the room they were sitting in and told them to follow him which they did, he led them into another huge room with a long table running almost it's full length. The escorts and a of other the children were already seated at the table and rose as they entered. Brisan led Leia to head of the table were there were two chairs and seated her in the one on the childrens side of the table.Once everyone was seated the meal began, a meal that everyone enjoyed especially the children who ate till they could eat no more.

Brisan stood up and thanked everyone from attending, there must have been a couple of hundred adults present, he suggested that as the adults present would be interacting with the childen a lot in the future they could introduce themselves and get to know a bit about each other.Leia and six other girls were led to one corner of the room by about twenty women who introduced themselves as their special instructors, to be taught more about being female they were told but they would also be teaching the other girls about how to behave in various societies, as they afternoon wore on they met and were introduced to the other instructors.

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Chosen One Part 3

Are The Chosen Ones a plan to create a new race?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Leaders

Hi Stanman,
I get the feeling that this advanced race are equipping the tribes with well educated leaders who will be able to save the tribes from annihilation by the 'conquistadors'.
The tribes have a wonderful sense of fair play and humanity which would grace any civilisation.
Sadly most of our race do not.

Really strange

Strange... I really really wonder why they did this. One year has passed and they still didn't explain the point of the whole operation. I wonder if they have transformed some girls into boys or only boys into girls to get an even ratio...
Why is she telepathic and why didn't the others become telepathic? I wonder why they designated her as the leader. So that the others wouldn't get the idea to exclude her for being strange?

About the chapter itself: I think it's a bit strange that you switch between summarizing months of schooling, a thought of Leia and then more schooling. I guess it might be nice to see more about Leia as a character and person. Until now we know the child capable of surviving in the wilderness and the building clay of the old ones. Apparently she has telepatic skills, but why didn't she use them to investigate her situation? Why is she so docile and accepting? Isn't she curious about what is happening and why it is happening? I mean she's a child and children are notoriously curious about their situation. When I was that old boundaries existed to be explored ;)

Thank you for writing another chapter of this mysterious and captivating story,
Beyogi

I'm Pretty Sure...

...that the differences between her appearance and that of the others will get connected to the Cat Mother's influence. (The almond, see-in-the-dark eyes seem to be something of a giveaway there.) The telepathy would have the same source; that's how the big cat communicated with her and her foster mother.

As you did, I wondered about the Great Ones choosing her as leader before the kids had even met. But I can't see where it would relate to the other young people accepting her, after all, nothing else they've done seems to have anything to do with how the kids relate to each other, except perhaps for evening out the sexes. (And that's probably because they'll be the only possible mates for each other when they get older.)

I thought perhaps the telepathy was a factor, though it seems to go in the wrong direction for her to be able to read the others' thoughts and lead accordingly. It may mean nothing more than that she showed the best promise in their individual instruction period.

Actually, so far her telepathic abilities seem nearly useless: she can ask questions using them, but there's no indication she can get answers that way or read others' thoughts. It may prove that she can give orders in others' minds, since she's the group leader, but we haven't seen any reason to think she can compel others to obey.

Eric

The mystery deepens

Teek's picture

As they mystery of the story deepens, I want to know more. The kids just accepting all of this without question is a little odd, but not any odder than going from tribal life to a very advanced society that can do DNA resequencing. I await the explanation.

Now, there are a few things that are driving me nuts. You need to do more proof-reading. It feels like you rushed this chapter to get it out. That is never a good thing. I am greatful to have the chapter, but you still need to turn out something worth reading. Because of poor or no proof-reading it is hard to understand at times.

>>One boy stepped forward and asked "I wonder why they a girl the leader of our group" there was no reply from anyone but nonody seemed put out by it.<<

In this sentence you are missing a word (a common thing for you to do in this chapter) and you have one obvious mis-spelling. If there were only a few it is easy to overlook the grammatical issues. As authors we all have mis-spelled words and grammatical errors in our work. If you are not going to send your story through an editor before posting, please try to work on your proof-reading skills. I use a text-to-speech software to read me the text, for it will allow me to hear it. Just reading it we tend to read what we intended to write instead of what we actually put down on the page. You have a good story here, don't de-value it by the poor grammar and spelling. Keep writing. I want to know more about the people and what is going on.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek