The Amy Series: 1 - The Way the Croissant Crumbles

Printer-friendly version

The Amy Series: 1 - The Way the Croissant Crumbles By Kozmik Alaska

Amy gets a job in the menswear department at Eaton's in Winnipeg Manitoba. Is the legend about rubbing Timothy Eaton's Foot true? Will a passing glance and a knowing smile from a shopper lead to more? And can you really get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant? This story is based on true events and the author's (Kozmik Alaska's) hopes and dreams. A proudly Canadian story!

Permission is hereby granted by Kozmik Alaska for the publication of this story on his behalf here at Big Closet Top Shelf only.

The Amy Series: 1 - The Way the Croissant Crumbles By Kozmik Alaska

Winnipeg.jpg

Amy dreaded making the phone call. Her junior year at university was coming to an end and she had her summer break ahead of her. The freedom she had felt over the past four years was tremendous. She felt as if she had finally begun to know her self, and the thirst inside of her for more was insatiable.

Amy picked up the phone and began punching in the numbers. As much as she loved her folks, she didn't want to spend the summer in rural Saskatchewan. She needed to be on her own, here in Winnipeg.

The phone rang and few times, and her brother answered.

"Hi Jimmy, its Amy"

"Oh hi Amy. How are things in the 'peg"

"Windy. How about there?"

"Flat."

"I wouldn't have expected otherwise!"

"I guess you want to talk mum then, eh? Are you going to break the news to her?"

Amy sighed. "Yeah. Its that time"

"Well, good luck. I'll get her"

Amy cringed as Jimmy dropped the phone and yelled "Mum! Its Amy calling from Winnipeg"

"She'll be right here"

"Okay. Jimmy, don't dro..." were the only words to come out of her mouth as he dropped the phone again "...drop the phone" she finished.

The phone clattered around as Amy's mum gathered it off the floor.

"Hi Amy. What's new in your life?" Her mum asked.

Amy could hear laces being untied as she waited for the first shoe to drop.

"Nothing much mum. Busy with school. Final exams you know."

"Oh, I see. Gee, is that all you ever do is study. You need to get out, get a boyfriend."

The first shoe clonked on the floor with a loud thud.

"Yes, mum. I know. I'll have plenty of time for that this summer."

"Well, I certainly hope so. I can't believe that there aren't any guys in all of Winnipeg that catch your eye. You're a beautiful girl Amy. If only you didn't suppress your natural charms"

Amy knew that these were code words for "If only you'd act more feminine". The second shoe followed the first in lemming-like style.

"Mum! Please!" Amy remonstrated.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything. It's just that I never see you in a dress or with make up anymore. What am I going to do with you, girl?"

Amy sighed. "I really don't know"

"Mum I need to talk to you. Its about this summer"

"Well, before you get started, I figured that you wouldn't want to come home to Wadena. So, I talked to Jerry Ewanchuk. He works for Eaton's down in Saskatoon. He said that he can arrange a job for you this summer at their store there in Winnipeg."

"Well, gee, mum I was thinking about..."

"No don't thank me. Jerry says that you should go talk to Bryan McGuire at the downtown store there at Portage and Donald."

"That'll work out I suppose. I was planning to stay here anyway"

"See. Then it's settled. Maybe your brother and I will drive out to see you then. He's been such a great help since your father passed away last year. At least I don't have to worry about any of the paperwork with your father's pension. Jimmy sorted that all out."

Amy ran her fingers through her short hair and sighed. Here came the good Jimmy for staying in Wadena/ bad Amy for going to Winnipeg story.

"Mum, you know that I'd help too if I was there."

"I know you would. I just worry about you. You're my baby. I just hope that you will have someone to take care of you. I hope that you won't be alone when I pass away."

Even though Amy was a 20-year-old woman, her mom still called her "her baby".

"Mum! I'll be okay. Really. "

"Well, alright. Now you go and talk to that guy at Eaton's about a job, okay?"

"I will. Look mum, I gotta go, I have to get to the library"

"Call us next weekend. Let us know how it how goes. I love you. Bye now"

"I love you too mum. Bye"

Amy hung up the phone knowing that there was no sense arguing with her mum. Besides, she didn't figure that there was a snowballs chance in hell of her getting a job at Eaton's. The chain of department stores was on its last legs, and it was only a matter of time before the book closed on its proud history.

On the other hand, she thought, it just might work out. At least it would resolve the problem of having some money over summer break, and it would allow her to stay in the 'peg.

"At least" she thought, "I won't have to explain my haircut. Well, at least for a while".

Earlier in the spring she had gotten her hair cut into a real short, almost boy like style. She wasn't sure why she did it; it just hit her one day. Things seemed to happening like that for her especially since she found that jockstrap in her laundry. It was as if that jockstrap, or rather the effect of finding that seemed to trigger a whole new way of thinking inside of her. At times it was a feeling of discontent, a feeling of not quite feeling whole coupled with a longing to fill a that void. Yet at the same time it also felt like an incredible self-discovery, as if the all the pieces to a great puzzle, the puzzle of who she was, were laid out in front of her. She wasn't sure who it belonged to, or where it came from, but since that day it was hers and wearing it became a thing that she rewarded herself with.

Team Canada

That is how she came to getting her hair cut in a boy's style. She had been up all night studying for a mid-term exam in Canadian-lit. Upon her return home from a gruelling 2 hours, she took solace in pulling on her Team Canada Women's Hockey shirt and he jockstrap. She liked this shirt. Her brother got it for her as a present after the successes of Hayley Wickenheiser on the team. Hayley was also from small town Saskatchewan, and in some ways Amy looked on her as a patron saint. Something inside of her told Amy that Hayley would show men that she could she play the sport on a par with them. Who knows, Amy thought, maybe someday Hayley would even play in the pros and have her name revered in the same way as someone like Wayne Gretzky.

Amy recalled how she looked in the mirror and smiled at her reflection. Almost but not quite there she thought. Then as if something had come over her, she found herself pulling on a pair of tube socks, her Levi's 501 jeans, and her running shoes. Next thing she knew she was walking down along Portage Street to Portage Place Mall. She entered the mall and headed to a hair stylist in the second level.

Portage Place Mall

"I'd like a hair cut please" she asked after approaching the desk.

"Sure. Name please."

"Amy"

"Ever been here before"

"No."

"Do you want a wash and cut or just a cut?"

"The wash and cut"

"Ok .. have a seat and fill this out"

Amy rolled her eyes at the inane questions. Is your hair dry or oil? Is it permed or coloured? It wasn't as if she was having surgery, she thought. Nonetheless she filled out the silly questionnaire.

After completing it, she picked up a copy of GQ and began thumbing through it. There, she saw it. It was perfect. Short back and sides, cut around the ears, parted on the sides. THAT was the haircut she wanted.

A girl about her age called Amy's name.

It was at that moment that Amy almost lost her nerve.

"I was wondering. Can you do this?"

The girl examined the picture of the guy in the magazine. "Yeah, sure, I guess"

"I mean to me."

"Look, I could do it to your poodle. You pays your money and you gets your cut"

"But I don't have a poodle"

"Whatever"

After thirty minutes of soapy suds, whirring clippers and clicking scissors, Amy looked in the mirror. The image that she saw both startled and exciting her, for the smooth faced boy who looked back at her was indeed her. She smiled and the boy in the mirror smiled back as if to say "Hi. I've been waiting meet you."

Now, two months later, she stood in her apartment wondering if she should get a trim so that she looked good for the interview.

Several days later, in a conference room at corner of Portage and Donald, managers of all of Eaton's departments were being briefed on the sad state of affairs that was the store's financial situation.

"And so you can see that we need to really hustle. It is up to every one of you to service the customer in the grand tradition of Timothy Eaton. We have a commitment to the community. Thank you everyone"

Eatons in its heyday

Bryan McGuire got up from his seat and shook his head. He was already one person down in the menswear department. He didn't know how he was expected to boost sales. What he needed was a gimmick, maybe. That always worked.

He headed back to his small cramped office and drummed a pencil on the desktop as he looked over the sales figures. It wasn't that they were in a downward spiral. There was simply no growth. He remembered the glory days when Eaton's was the place to shop. Now people preferred to head out of downtown to malls. Still, he got a good bit of business from the people who worked in the downtown corridor. Maybe if he could capture the university crowd.

As Bryan contemplated his actions, his phone rang.

"McGuire here"

"Bryan. There's a girl here to see you. Says Jerry Ewanchuk out in Saskatoon sent her. Her name's Novak. Amy Novak"

Bryan though for a second. Hmm...why would Jerry send a girl to see him? When he had spoken with Jerry he sort of promised a summer job to a college student. He hadn't counted on the college student being a girl. After all this was the menswear department.

"Go ahead, send her in"

Amy entered the cluttered office and introduced her. Bryan looked up from his papers and did a double take. The voice said girl, but the look was somewhat undecided. Amy was wearing a simple shirt and pants, albeit all girls clothes.

"Ah, so your Amy Novak. I'm Bryan McGuire. Please have a seat. Jerry Ewanchuk says that you are student at University of Winnipeg, eh?"

"Actually its at the University of Manitoba, sir"

"Whatever" Bryan seemed slightly more interested in his distressed financial figures.

"He says that you can offer me a job for the summer"

Bryan looked up at her. Once again Amy's androgynous look caught his eye and dug into his brain.

"I can understand if you can't, Eaton's being in financial trouble and all."

He got up from his chair and walked over to a set of steel shelves loaded with stacks of propaganda from the various salespeople who came hawking their wares.

"Well, it's not that. I thought that you were a boy. The only opening I have is here in men's wear and..." Bryan glanced at a flyer from one of his supplier. In bold letters a headline screamed "The Androgynous Look .. Its here to stay! Boost your sales today with the trendy new look for a new millennium"

"Its okay then. I understand. Thank you" Amy began to get up.

Bryan turned around and faced her. Maybe this was the gimmick he was looking or.

"No. Wait. I think that you're exactly what I want"

Amy settled back down in to the chair.

"Do you think that you could do a good job selling to guys your age, you know, college age guys."

"Well, I suppose I could"

"Good, maybe some of the guys you go to school with at the University of Winnipeg might buy you"

"But I attend the University of Manitoba, sir"

"What ever"

"I suppose I could do it."
"Good. You start this weekend though. Report to me on Saturday morning at 9 o'clock. We'll get the paperwork out of the way, and I'll get you started. In fact, why don't you take this application with you, get it filled out, and bring it with you then That way we can get down to work."

"I'll be here. Thanks Mr McGuire."

"Its Bryan. Call me Bryan. You know I have a daughter about your age. Cuts hair over at Portage Street Mall."

"Ah, thanks, er, Mr McGu.., er Bryan."

"Whatever."

Amy shook his hand and left Bryan McGuire's office.

She walked through the men's wear department, and then to the area where the somewhat trendier styles for young guys were on display. She stopped and surveyed the goods on offer there, Levi's Dockers, polo shirts, and other casual items. Amy smiled to herself as the thought that someday this would be her domain, not fully realising the truth in the depth of the thought.

She headed over to the Grill Room restaurant so that she get completing the application out of the way. A woman in her mid 40s was on waitress duty and came over to take her order. Alice Redmoon was of Ojibway First Nations heritage, an Indian as the politically incorrect term called her people, from the Shawinaga people around Georgian Bay in Ontario. She was of a muscular build with short black hair, cut in a spiky style and wore no makeup. The waitress did a double take as she approached Amy. Hmmm, what have we here, she thought.

"Hi, I'm Alice. What can I get for you?"

Amy spoke, her voice giving away her gender. "Just a Coke please"

Alice smiled at the discovery that Amy was a girl. Hmm, a lovely bit of butch flesh here I see, she thought.

"Coming' right up, hon." Alice replied

Alice went off to get the as Coke as Amy began filling out the job application.

When Alice returned, she noticed that Amy was working on the form.

"One Coca-Cola. You trying to get a job here, eh?" Alice asked.

"Yeah. Well, sort of. I've been hired already. I just need to get the paperwork out of the way"

"Welcome to the Eaton's team then" Alice answered. "Where you gonna be working."

"Believe it or not, menswear!" Amy replied.

Alice couldn't believe her luck. This baby-dyke that sat before her has so much potential she thought.

"Good luck! If you need any advice just stop by the Grill Room and see me. I've been here for 5 years, so I know my way around a bit"

"Thanks" Amy replied.

"I'll give you one bit of advice to get started."

"What's that?" Amy asked as she took the last slurp of her Coke.

Timothy Eaton Statue

"You know that big bronze statue of Timothy Eaton at the main entrance to the store"

"Yeah, what of it"

"Well, legend has it that you should rub Timothy's left foot for good luck"

"Oh that's silly"

"Hey..Don't go tempting fate" Alice retorted. "It works. What ever you want, money, luck, maybe even romance. Just rub Timothy's foot."

"So does it work?"

"Sure, I've been rubbing Timothy's foot since I started here. I'm still waiting, but you never can tell. Today may just be my lucky day ... and yours too"

"We'll see. Thanks" Amy got up to leave.

"Oh, I'm Alice. Like it says on the tag here," Alice said as she stuck out here hand.

"Amy. Amy Novak. Pleased to meet you Alice."

"Stop back on your break after you start. I'll have something special cooked up for you. And rememeber, Timothy's LEFT foot." Alice said as she gave Amy a wink.

There was something about that wink that threw Amy.

"Yeah, sure"

"Hey Alice, you have an order up. Chef says to get your butt in gear" one of the waiters said as he went flying by.

"Gotta go. See ya"

Alice went back to the kitchen.

"About time. This orders getting cold. What are doing? Trying to pick up another girl!"

"Fuck you Harry" Alice answered.

"Look Alice, I don't give a shit if you are a dyke. Just do your job first, then you can flirt all you want."

Alice gave Harry an icy stare. "Watch it Harry. Its guys like you that make me glad I like girls. If you're not careful you may end up on the receiving end of an order of scrambled eggs" Alice made a gesture of grabbing Harry's testicles and squeezing.

As she did, the head waitress came into the kitchen.

"Hey! I got a customer out here looking for a club sandwich. Alice, get a move on"

Alice grabbed the plate and headed to the door.

"And you. Quit harassing my waitresses."

The head waitress turned and followed Alice out the door.

Harry grumbled as he gave her a mock salute. "You're probably one too!" he spat.

Meanwhile Amy was walking past the big bronze statue of Timothy Eaton. He had guided the company through its heyday. Now it was Timothy who needed the good luck. She rubbed his well-polished left foot. She wasn't quite sure what to wish for, but as she did, she felt emptiness, a feeling of being incomplete, inside that longed to be resolved.

Amy arose early on Saturday to prepare for her new job. She put on a pair of black slacks and simple white Oxford shirt, guessing that this would look professional enough. As she combed her short black hair, she thought about how much easier it was to care of short hair. Just a quick shampoo, drying with a towel, and its done.

At 9 o'clock sharp she reported to Bryan McGuire's office.

"Ready for your first day. Amy" Bryan asked.

"Yeah. I think so."

"Good. Remember, at Eaton's the customer comes first. So, get to know your clientele. Get to know your product. I'm counting on you."

"I will sir"

"Please, Bryan, not sir. We're all family at Eaton's"

"Okay, Bryan"

"Come on and meet the rest of the team."

Bryan took Amy out to the sales floor. Sales associates were busily straightening shelves and arranging displays. He took her to the young men's department.

"Hey Marty. C'mon over. I want you to meet someone"

"Yeah, Bryan. What's up?"

"Marty Vashenko meet Amy Novak. Amy's starting with us today here in the department. She's a student at the University o...."

"University of Manitoba. Pleased to meet you Marty."

"Pleasure." Marty gave her the once over with his eyes. Not bad he thought. A bit, butch he thought, but worth a try.

"Marty here can help you get started and show you how to operate the registers and everything. If you need anything, I'll be in my office"

"Welcome to team. Student, eh. Play any sports", Marty asked.

"Yeah, I swim." Amy replied.

"I play a bit of football. And weight lifting" He said as he flexed his muscles.

"Oh great" thought Amy. "A muscleman."

"How about showing me how we do things around here" Amy asked.

"Sure."

With that Marty gave her the 5-cent store operations tour. He explained all the paper work and showed her where the customer changing rooms were located. By the time 10 AM rolled around, she was ready to go, and stand and wait for her first customer. At 12 noon, she was still waiting. Finally at 12.30 she snagged a customer, a nervous looking fellow in his forties looking every bit the man mired in a mid life crisis.

"Do these khakis come in a 32 length?" he asked.

Amy dug through the pile of pants on the display rack.

"Here you go." She handed the pants over to the customer.

The guy held them up to his legs.

"Perhaps a different colour" he pondered.

"Well, they are khaki's and khaki's are, ah, khaki colour you know"

"Just a bit lighter maybe"

Amy pulled another pair from the rack.

"Maybe those." The customer observed.

Amy blinked her eyes. These pants were exactly the same as the pair he already had in his hands.

"Oh I don't know. Can I try them on?" he asked.

"Sure right over here." Amy directed him to the changing room. A few minutes later the customer came out.

"I think these are too short. Maybe I should try them a bit longer"

"We can fix that," Amy answered as she dug into the rack and pulled out the next size up and handed them to the customer. "Try these then"

Once again the customer disappeared into the changing booth. Amy's stomach grumbled a bit. Off to the side Marty stood watching as Amy dealt with the fussy customer.

The guy came out again and looked in the mirror. "Oh dear, I think these are too long."

Amy felt that rumbling in her stomach again.

She quickly answered. "Oh no, sir! That's the style these days. Besides, they ride up with wear. They look great"

"You think so?" the customer asked.

"Absolutely" she answered, lying as she crossed her fingers. "I think that you should take them"

"Well okay if you think so"

"So do you need a belt with them, too" Amy asked, as she envisioned giving the fussy guy a belt around the ears that he wouldn't soon forget.

"Well, okay. You pick one out to go with the pants while I change"

"Certainly sir" Amy replied as she thought that it would be a calm day at the windy corner of Portage and Main streets before this bloke ever changed.

He emerged from the changing room and approached the cash.

"Will this be on your Eaton's charge, sir?" she asked.

"Oh dear, I suppose so. Now where is that card." The guy muttered as he shuffled through his wallet for his Eaton's credit card. "I hadn't left my glasses at home. Ah t here it is." He said as he pulled the charge card from safekeeping.

"Damn" thought Amy. "No wonder. He's as blind as a bat!"

The guy signed the charge slip as Amy placed his purchase in a bag.

"Thank you for shopping at Eaton's sir" she said as she handed the package to him.

"Thank you, young man, er," The man leaned forward and squinted at Amy's nametag. "Andy."

"It's Amy, sir"

"Oh, French, eh? Well, bonnie jur-ee Amy"

"Ah, yeah. Sure" Amy replied.

As the man walked away from the cash desk, Marty doubled over with laughter.

"Very good! Amy. Very good! That was a hoot"

"Thanks. Baptism in fire, eh?"

"Yep .. he's one of our pains in the, er, neck. Takes a bus in The Pas every few weeks. Usually he shuffles about indecisively and leaves without buying anything. You managed to break him. Rides up with wear indeed. That's a good one"

"And to think that he couldn't see anything anyway!" Amy laughed.

"Well done. Well, Amy, you've earned your lunch. You get a discount in The Grill Room, and the food is pretty good, so enjoy"

"Thanks Marty, I'll be back at say 1.30"

"That'll work"

Amy headed to The Grill Room, and took a booth off to the side. She placed an order for a sandwich and a Coke. As she sat eating her lunch Amy heard a voice call out to her.

"Hey Amy!" It was Alice. "So you're on board then," she said noticing Amy's nametag.

"Yep! All signed up to the team"

"How's it goin', eh?"

"Not too bad. Took all morning to get my first sale, but it was worth it"

"You'll have to tell me about it. Look, some of us go out for a drink or two, or three or more after work. Join us and tell me all about it."

"Oh I can't tonight. I have some things to do" Amy answered, telling a little white lie. After her first day at work she really just wanted to kick back and relax.

"Things? C'mon. You need to celebrate your first sale."

"No really. A raincheck please. Maybe next time"

"Well. Alright but I'll hold you to that raincheck." Alice saw her number come up on the order board. "I gotta run before Harry gets all bent. I'll see you during the week then, eh?"

"Yeah. I'll be here"

Amy turned back to her meal. As she sat there eating she though back to that one pair of Levi's Dockers she held up for Mister Fussy. They really weren't all that different than a girls' pants that she owned. Strange that fact, she thought.

Amy returned to her department after lunch, revitalised by her sale and a full tummy. The store got busier as the afternoon wore on and she managed to get several more sales on the books. By the time she finished, her feet ached and she was ready for home.

As she waited at the time clock to punch out, Marty stood in line with her.

"Wanna go get a bite to eat?" he asked.

"Oh, no thanks." I'm beat and have things to do.

"Ah c'mon. Relax"

"No that's alright."

Just then Alice came by. She placed a hand on Amy's shoulder. "So, how'd the first day go?" she asked.

"Not too bad. A lot better than I thought, in fact"

"Are you sure you won't come out with us girls? We'd really like to show you a grand time." Alice gave her another one of those winks.

"Ah, no, thanks. Maybe next time. I'm beat on my feet."

"Well alright, but I'm remembering that raincheck we talked about at lunch"

"Hey Alice, c'mon" a girl walked up to Alice. "Oh so this is Amy, eh? Very nice."

"Amy, meet Ivana"

"Pleased to meet you Ivana"

"I can see that everything that Alice has told us about you is true. Are you going to come out with us?"

"Ah, no thanks. What did Alice say about me?" Amy asked.

"Oh nothing" Ivana replied with a sly grin and then a stern glance at Marty. "We'll catch up with again then, I hope"

"Yeah, ah sure"

As the girls went off, Marty looked at Amy.

"Oh, I see now." as he fumbled for the words.

"What?" Amy asked

"You and the girls, eh?"

"What! I don't understand"

"If you ever want a real man, look me up. I could change your mind" Marty said as he walked toward the exit door.

"Tabarnac!" Amy swore. "What the hell is up with him?"

As she walked along Portage, Amy began turning over the events in her head. Marty was one strange bird. What the hell was this comment about wanting a real man? He couldn't be implying that she liked, girls, could he? She looked at her reflection in the plate glass window. Screw him if he had that impression based on her boyish looks. She knew that she liked guys, but she also damn sure that he wasn't the type of guy she was looking for.

As to the girls, she was digesting the comments there. Something just didn't compute.

She boarded the bus for home and then it hit her. The girls thought that she was a lesbian. That would explain Alice's wink. Alice was trying to pick her up. Sheesh she thought, just one day on the job and she was insulted by a guy who thought that he was God's gift to women, and was hit on by some gay girls. She had nothing against lesbians, but guys like Marty turned her stomach. Then let him think that. But what was she going to do about Alice. And her friends. She had to draw a line in the sand.

Once home, Amy tried to relax. Her mind kept racing as she assembled all the facts. She pulled off her clothes and tossed her panties in the dirty clothes hamper. Reaching into her underwear drawer she pulled out her jockstrap. She sat naked on the edge of her bed and tugged at the straps.

"Why do I do this? Why do I want to wear this? I'm a girl. Guy's wear these." Amy sighed.

"Well for starters, a) I want to, b) its sexy, and c) it turns me on" Amy said as she pulled the jockstrap up her legs. Her jock had gotten soft and comfy over the few years since she had found it in her laundry basket. It carressed her like an old friend.

She pulled on her Team Canada Women's Hockey jersey and lay back on her bed. Her body was all tensed up and cried out for a release. Her fingers moved along her stomach and they tickled the area between her belly button and the top of her jockstrap. As the ticklish feeling intensified her clitoris grew to attention and Amy felt herself getting wet.

Amys Jockstrap

The rough fabric of the pouch of her jock rubbed against her clit. Amy moved her hand down to the point where the straps of the jock met the pouch. The stitching there brushed against her vaginal lips as the palm of her hand massaged her clit.

As she did this, she thrust her middle finger deep inside. Amy closed her eyes as pre-orgasmic spasms began to grow. She tightened her vaginal muscles around her finger. Then she began to move her hand as if she was grasping at something.

The sensations changed somewhat as things grew to a fever pitch. She could almost feel a meaty appendage growing in her hand and the skin of a sack-like area between her legs begin to tighten.

Amy's breathing increased as she felt a spasm move from right between her legs and engulf her entire vaginal area, finally overwhelming her entire body. She cried out in delight as her climax was fulfilled.

After the afterglow faded Amy and she regained her composure, got up to make supper. Let Marty think she was gay, she thought. She had to be herself.

When Amy returned to work on Monday she gave Marty a wide berth. She stopped by The Grill Room before starting to see Alice.

"Did you girls have a good time on Saturday night?" she asked her.

"Yeah, too bad you couldn't join us." Alice replied.

"Well, I need to talk with you about that. Maybe we can eat lunch together. What do you think?" Amy asked.

"Sure. I get a break at 1.15. I'd love to. We have to eat back in the restaurant break room, though." Alice replied.

"Deal then. I'll see you at 1.15" Amy said as she headed off to the men's department.

When lunchtime rolled around, Amy joined Alice in the lunchroom. As they sat there eating, Amy decided to get to the purpose of their meeting.

"Alice, I have something to tell you" Amy began.

Alice looked deeply into Amy's eyes. "What is it, sweetheart?" She reached over and touched Amy's hand.

Amy pulled her hand away. "Its that, ah, its that, I'm not, ah, gay."

Alice laughed a hearty laugh "Bullshit! I can spot a baby dyke a mile away, and you is one!"

Amy smiled and shook her head. "Sorry, but I think you need to take your intuition in Speedy Muffler for an adjustment."

"Well, maybe you never tried a girl. You might like it." Alice enquired.

"No, I don't think so. I really do like guys." Amy replied.

The two grew silent for a moment, and then Alice continued. "So you probably be going after Marty then, eh?

"Cá¢lisse de crisse, no! God, not where's there's open food! He turns me off with his posing and posturing." Amy pointed out with not a moment's hesitation.

"So they're hope that you'll join Betty's team, yet." Alice sad as she smiled at her.

Amy laughed. "No. Don't think so. I like guys. But never guys like him. The guy I want is soft and gentle and kind and sweet and .."

"...has a vagina between his legs. You want a girl." Alice said completing Amy's sentence.

"No, sorry." Amy said shaking her head.

"You won't find a guy like that here in Winnipeg, or in Toronto, or Montréal, or Vancouver, or even, ah, er, Sudbury!"

Amy smiled. "I'm not sure about Sudbury"

"Trust me, been there, got the t-shirt. Men are pigs" Alice sighed. "Is there anything I could do to maybe change you're mind."

"Alice, you should know better. I can no more change than you can"

Alice grinned and shook her head in agreement.

"But," Amy continued, "I could use your help. "

"Sure anything" Alice replied.

"Well, I'm afraid that Marty is going be hitting on me until I give in to his lusts. I need him to at least think that I'm a lesbian"

"Sure, but how can I help. You either is or isn't"

"I'm not sure. Why not think about it. Then lets talk over lunch later this week."

"Deal. I'm sure we can come up with something."

"Well, look I do want to be your friend, so I'd really appreciate it" Amy said.

"Just remember, as Elton John sang ... all the young girls love Alice." Alice replied.

"Looks like I gotta get back to work. I see ya round then, eh? Amy said.

"I'll do some thinking and we'll fix Marty's little red wagon. When we're done with him, little red won't come waggin' anywhere near you!" Alice answered.

As Amy walked away, Alice whispered to herself "What a waste of butchiness."

The week proceeded with Marty making snide little comments as Amy's sales proficiency improved. After only a week on the job, she seemed to be eroding Marty's prowess in the department. About mid day on Friday, Ivana came by the department.

"Hey Amy, Alice wants you. See her at lunch time" Ivana said just loud enough for Marty to hear.

Marty looked up from arranging his display then walked over to Amy and Ivana.

"Now no fooling around on the job, girls," he said with a sinister look in his eyes.

"Beat it Marty" Ivana retorted.

"Oo! Girl talk!" Marty made a snooty look and skulked away. Ivana and Amy smiled at each other.

"She has a plan for you and just wants to get it into motion" Ivana told Amy.

"Tell her I'll be on lunch at 1, so I'll see her then"

When the hour grew near, Marty pestered Amy. "Almost 1 o'clock. Wouldn't want to be late for your date."

Amy looked at her watch. "Yeah right. Gosh thanks Marty. Let me just finish up this sale."

When done, Amy headed off to The Grill Room and met Alice for lunch.

"Ivana said that you had a plan"

"Yeah, I do. But, it'll cost you."

"Like what?" Amy asked.

"Look I wouldn't help you out if it wouldn't get that pain in the ass Marty off your back. But I know something that you can do. You got 40 dollars you can spare."

"Well yeah" Amy answered.

"Good", Alice replied. "I'll pitch in what ever else is needed."

"What's the plan?" Amy enquired.

"Can't tell you just yet. Let's just say that by the time the dust has settled, Marty won't be so sure of anything. Be at my place say at about 6.30. I'm right off Exchange District." Alice scribbled on a piece of paper. "Here's my address. I'll order some Chinese to go."

When the lunch was over, and Amy got up to return to work, Alice stopped her for a second.

"Wait! I almost forgot something. Stand there for a second." She looked Amy up and down. "Turn around."

"C'mon. I have to get back to work"

"I know. Looks like you're about my size."

"Yeah, I suppose. What of it"

"Oh nothing. Just turn around again"

"Now what"

"Oh just admiring the merchandise"

Amy smiled and shook her head. "Later!"

Amy left work at 4, and headed home. The day had been a bit hot and sticky, so she showered before getting ready to head out to Alice's. She pulled open her underwear drawer and reached in for a clean pair of panties. Amy paused for a second, clucked her tongue, and grabbed her jockstrap. "Why not," she thought.

She settled her jockstrap around her hips, and tucked the straps around her but cheeks before pulling on her jeans. It was too hot for her hockey jersey, so she settled on a simple t-shirt.

Amy headed to the Exchange District around 6 PM and spent some time window-shopping along its streets of funky little stores. Part of this was a genuine interest in the area, but another part was to calm her nerves a bit, for she had no idea what Alice had in store for her.

At 6.30 she rang the buzzer to gain access to Alice's building. Alice's flat was decorated in a utilitarian fashion. A bit stark for Amy's taste, but perfectly suited to Alice.

"C'mon. Eat first. Then we'll get to work. I got some Lucky Moon Special Fried Rice for us." Alice said as she led Amy to the kitchen table.

"I'm not sure what type of wine goes with fried rice, but since this has shrimp and pork and chicken and beef, I figured that we could just bypass grape and try some Manitoba Blackcurrant Wine. It never hurts to try something different," she continued.

The girls sat and enjoyed dinner and engaged in small talk.

"So, tell me more about Amy." Alice asked.

"Not a lot to say. I grew up on a farm in Wadena Saskatchewan. My dad passed away last year. My mum and brother still live there. And you?"

"Toronto here. Well actually, I was born in Ojibway territory around Parry Sound. Things are difficult for aboriginal people, so I set out for the city. Really came into my own there, but after I came out, things got a little strained with my family. Back when I was your age, being a lesbian wasn't cool. Lotsa prejudice. I was pulled in all directions, and I broke up with someone very special. I decided to run."

"Gee that's sad. So you ended up in the 'peg."

"Eventually, after drifting around the cities. Seemed to me that if there was any place in Canada that had a lesbian community that wasn't yet jaded by the city yet was vibrant it was here. And you. Why the 'peg"

"I wanted to get away from rural Saskatchewan. Its as if something has been pulling me through. Guiding hands lead me here. These years at university have put me through some changes, for sure. Don't know where they'll end up, though."

Alice put down her chopsticks, and looked at Amy. "Take some advise from a old dyke who's been there and done that. Cast your fate to the wind. Let the great spirits guide you along the river."

Alice wiped her hands with tea towel. "When you're ready, I'll show you what I came up with to fix Marty.

Amy chased a last grain of rice around her plate with her chopsticks, captured it, and then wiped her face. "Let's go, then"

Alice led her back to the bedroom where some bags from Eaton's were laid out on the bed. "I did some shopping after you left at 4" Alice explained. "First thing I need you to do, is take off your clothes."

"My clothes? Amy asked. "Why"

"You'll see" Alice "Trust me"

Amy undid pulled her t-shirt over her head revealing an A-cup bra that covered her small breasts. She began undoing her jeans and paused. Gulp! "I'm wearing my jockstrap!" she thought. "I hadn't counted on this!"

"Need a hand," Alice asked as she reached over and undid the button on Amy's jeans. The blackcurrant wine had loosened Amy up a bit and she gave only small resistance before revealing her secret.

"A jockstrap!" Alice exclaimed. "I knew you were a baby dyke, girlfriend."

"No, Alice," Amy stuttered. "It's not like it appears"

Alice reached out a hand and tenderly touched Amy's face. "Don't be afraid. I'd be gentle." She leaned forward and kissed Amy on the lips. Her tongue thrust into Amy's mouth and her hand touched the pouch of Amy's jockstrap.

Amy pulled back. "No. Please don't." she protested.

"But the jockstrap. You said you aren't but the jockstrap says you are"

"And I still say, I'm not. Please. Don't be disappointed. I just like to wear it. I, I, NEED to wear it." Amy sat on the edge of the bed, her jeans around her ankles.

"Need to? I don't understand. I don't see any evidence of you needing the support of a lower decker pecker checker."

"It's too difficult to explain, but it came to me in a dream a few years ago, and since then, well, I guess it's been a turn on for me."

Alice listened intently. "So this explains your short hair and butchiness"

"I suppose it does. But like I said, I still like boys, not girls"

"Not even one little bit?"

"Alice, all I can tell you is that if I did, you'd be on the list for sure. Let's just leave it at that."

"Okay. I'm disappointed, but I'll respect your lifestyle." Alice laughed. "After all, some of my best friends are hetero"

Amy smiled "Thank you." She stood up and kicked off her jeans standing before Alice in just her jockstrap and socks. "Now that one secret is out, how about the secret you have in store for me"

Alice reached for a shopping bag from the bed and began digging out its contents.

"This, is your wardrobe for work tomorrow" she explained as she pulled out a white men's shirt, a tie, a pair of dress pants, a belt and socks.

Amy blinked. "Men's clothes? Why?"

"Well you want Marty to thing that you are, shall we say, the other way. Although I always though you heteros where," Alice made quote marks with her fingers, "the other way." Well, in spite of how cute you look in that jockstrap, I now really do know that you aren't, and that you don't want to be. But if he thought that you were, it might make you even more of a target for his advances in hopes of changing you."

"I don't understand" Amy questioned.

"See, some hetero guys really get off on gay gals. You breeders are a strange lot sometimes."

"So you figure that he might keep up the pressure. He would consider me a conquest, eh?"

"Exactly! He's so unsure of his own sexuality that he has to continually prove it to himself. But the one thing that would really send him spinning is if he faced the thought that maybe he was himself was gay"

"Okay .. I've lost the plot here"

"Let me explain. If we got you all boy-ed up, and then gave him a little push, he'd suddenly recoil a the thought that he was attracted a le masculin"

"I get it. So I dress as guy for work"

"Yep and its all Eaton's menswear standard stuff here. So off with the jockstrap and lets get started."

"Wait a minute. What do you mean, off with the jockstrap."

Alice pulled a package of Jockey Y-Fronts from the shopping bag. "Because boy's wear these, silly," she said as she tore at the plastic.

Seeing the apprehension in Amy, she paused. "Its okay. I promise you. No come one here. You can go into the bathroom and put them on if you want."

Amy's New Y-Fronts

Alice pulled a package of Jockey Y-Fronts from the shopping bag. "Because boy's wear these, silly," she said as she tore at the plastic.

Seeing the apprehension in Amy, she paused. "Its okay. I promise you. No come one here. You can go into the bathroom and put them on if you want."

"No. I trust you." Amy said as she reached for a pair of the boy's underwear that Alice held out to her. She pulled off her jockstrap and set with jeans. She held up the Jockey Y-Fronts and examined them.

"This is kind of different." In spite of growing up with a younger brother, Amy suddenly realised that she had never really held a pair of boy's underwear in her hands before. She pulled on the Y-Fronts and slid them up her legs. The white cotton was soft and cool against her skin.

Alice reached over "No funny business, I promise. Trust me. You just need some adjusting for authenticity," she said as she settled the wide elastic waistband around Amy's hips.

Amy Wearing Her Y-Fronts

Amy looked down at her crotch, its smooth flatness belied by a Y shaped opening that usual covered a masculine bulge. She glanced sideways at her reflection in the mirror on the back of the door to Alice's bedroom. The further contraction of her A-cup bra matched with her Jockey Y-Fronts reflected back. "Well, this is different" she said.

"Turn around. Let me see how they look from the back" Alice requested. "Yes, very nice. Ready for your shirt?"

"Sure. I guess."

"Good, then lose that bra. You need to wear this," she said as she handed Amy a stretchy undershirt.

Amy undid her bra and let it fall to floor, and then pulled the A-shirt over her head, shaking her hair as her head popped through the opening.

Amy's New Undershirts

"Good?" she asked.

"Good" replied Alice.

Alice tore at the plastic on the white shirt and began removing the pins that held it to the cardboard backing.

"Damn pins. They must use a jillion of these." She handed the package to Amy. "Here, you finish this then put the shirt on. I'll remove the tag from your new pants."

Amy continued undoing the shirt and then pulled it on.

"Oh how strange!" she said. "The buttons. They're on the other side!"

"You're becoming a boy now, Amy, so you better get used to that fact" Alice laughed. "Things are going to be different for you in the future."

Amy buttoned up the shirt and then reached for the trousers before Alice stopped her.

"No. Guys put their socks on first, before their pants."

Amy sat on the edge of the bed and pulled on her socks, and then turned her attention to the trousers.

"I guess there are a lot of nuances I need to learn, eh?"

"I think you know them already, Amy. You just need to let them flow forth. Here's your trousers when you are ready"

Amy took the trousers, pulling them up her legs. She started to thread the belt through the loops, encircling her waist with it in a counter clockwise fashion.

"See, " Alice observed, " I knew that it was in you. Guy's wear belts around that way. Girls the other way."

As she was threading the belt, it occurred to Amy that pants are pants and these shouldn't feel all that different from girl's pants. But with the layer the Jockey Y-Fronts between her and the dress pants, they did somehow impart a certain indescribable sensation to her.

Alice held up a yellow tie with little paisley pattern on it. "Have you ever tied a tie before" she asked.

"No, actually. I haven't much of clue" Amy replied.

Alice stood up. "Then turn around and I'll show you how. Watch carefully, I want you to look your butch best tomorrow."

Alice reached around Amy's neck. After she turned up the collar on the dress shirt. Her hand brushed lightly against Amy's breast and Amy felt a shiver go through her body. The thought that she was dressing as a boy, way beyond just wearing her jockstrap, filled her with a thrill. As Alice began knotting the tie Amy asked, "So how do you know so much about wearing guy's clothes? I don't see you in them?"

Alice turned her around and adjusted the tie. She sighed. "Remember that someone very special I told that I broke up with. He, or she if you prefer, was a drag king in Halifax. I guess I always ended up dressing Roy for my pleasure. Yeah Roy. Chose the name since its French for King."

A tear formed in Alice's eye. "Turned out to be HIV positive. We knew and everything, but when his condition got worse, Roy vanished leaving me a note saying that he couldn't bear me suffering this with him. Oh, I was tested and everything and was okay. Damn him."

"I'm sorry" Amy said. "What happened?"

"The grapevine says that he died in Vancouver about ten years ago, broke and alone" Alice replied.

Amy looked down at her feet, feeling a bit uncomfortable. Alice took her hand. "Look, I was wrong to make advances on you. Maybe my true love is with the spirits, but yours is still out there. I hope that you find him, and I do mean the word HIM. Who knows, he might be in Sudbury, or he might here in Winnipeg right now, but there is a soft, gentle and kind boy out there for a tomboy girl like you. When you find him, you'll know."

There was a pause as they both recollected their thoughts. Alice looked away in to space as if saying a prayer and then smiled a bittersweet smile.

"I almost forgot!" she reached into the bag and pulled out some packets. "Ivana sent these over from the fragrance counter. How's this for hotness. Fahrenheit men's cologne." She tore open the packet with her teeth and spat a small piece of foil across the room. "At least it smells better than it tastes. Here, splash this on your face."

Amy began to do so as Alice instructed as a smile returned to her face. "Slap it on, don't dab it like a girl. Now stand up and let me see how it all turned out."

Amy stood up and struck a pose, her hand on her hips. "So, do I pass the test?"

"Minwaabaminaagozi" Alice replied.

Amy scrunched up her face "Huh?"

"Oh .. That's an Ojibway phrase. In the language of my ancestors it means 'He looks good'" Alice answered.

Amy looked at herself in the mirror. A boy looked back at her. She smiled and felt like she was looking at a Polaroid picture that was slowly coming into focus.

"You'll have to do your own shoes, but I think we have a good start, don't you?" Alice stated.

"Yes, I think we do" Amy replied.

Alice's watch beeped for the top of the hour.

"Gosh, its 10 o'clock already. I better get going"

"You have a big day ahead of you tomorrow. Say, why don't you stay the night? You can sleep in the spare bedroom. That way, we can walk into work together tomorrow. That ought to set Marty's head spinning!"

"Brilliant idea" Amy replied. "It's a deal." She reached over a gave Alice a peck on the cheek. "Thank you for everything"

Alice looked over the picture of Roy on here nightstand. "Its our pleasure."

A warm prairie day was setting up on the Saturday morning as Alice and Amy watched along the quiet streets of the Exchange District. Amy was all kitted out in her white shirt and tie. When they reached Eaton's, Alice noticed Marty approaching along Donald Street.

"Quick, its Marty. Be a gentleman and hold open the door for me."

Amy opened the door and Alice stepped inside. Marty quickened his step and entered behind Amy. Amy reached over and grabbed Alice's hand. Marty did a double take when he saw that it was Amy.

"What the.. Amy? Gee, Alice, I though that maybe you crossed the floor." Marty said sarcastically.

Amy looked at him "What's wrong Marty? See something that interests you?" She slapped him on the butt; "Maybe we can go do some weights after work, us being buds and all."

"Ah, yeah, ah, look, I gotta punch in" Marty stuttered as the fresh clean scent of Amy's men's cologne entered his nostrils. That set him back quite a bit and sent him quickly stumbling along the corridor like a polar bear drunk on antifreeze. Once out of site Amy and Alice burst in giggles.

"Buds! Where did all that come from?" Alice asked.

"I don't know. I guess I felt inspired" Amy giggled.

A busy sales day at Eaton's began as people did some shopping to take advantage of the Victoria Day weekend sales. Amy's darted from customer to customer all morning, ringing up sale after sale. Marty on the other hand stood around looking dazed and confused.

"What wrong Marty. Too many Molson's last night?" Amy asked. "That's not good for the little soldier! Read that in an issue of Men's Health." she said as she gave her crotch a good scratch. Marty just turned and walked off the sales floor toward Bryan McGuire's office.

About 45 minutes passed and the phone at the cash desk range. It was Bryan.

"Menswear" Amy answered.

"Amy, this is Bryan McGuire" came the voice.

"Yes Bryan" Amy replied.

"Look, your sales have been so good, that I'm putting you in charge of the young men's department. You're doing an excellent job."

"But what about Marty" Amy asked.

"Oh, Marty. He's, ah, asked to be moved to appliances. Washers and dryers. He said he wanted something a little less controversial, tough I haven't clue as to what he means. I guess nothing life changing ever comes out of a dryer." Bryan explained.

Amy smiled. "I wouldn't be so sure about that"

"Huh?" Bryan asked.

"Whatever" Amy laughed.

"Great. Then go to it. Remember, service to our customer is the great tradition of Eaton's. Have a great day," Bryan said as he hung up the phone.

Amy stood at the cash and looked out over the department. This was all hers she thought, from the shirts to the pants to the white cotton fly-front briefs. She closed her eyes and imagined trying on everything. Her dreaming was interrupted by a rather noisy discussion off to her right.

A young guy her age was there with an older woman. Looked like his mother, Amy thought. He looked totally bored.

"These are nice Anthony. Do you want me to buy you a pair? Oh look These Docker's are really preppy looking"

"No mum. That's okay. I really don't need any," the young guy answered. He had a sweet face and shoulder length black hair.

"What am I going to do with you son? Don't you want to dress nice? And I wish you'd get that damn long hair cut. You look like a dyke, Anthony"

The young guy replied, "Stop it mum. I'm fine"

"How are you every going to get a girl if you don't dress nicer? Look at that young guy over there, how nice he's dressed" his mother observed pointing toward Amy.

Anthony looked over at Amy. The connection was made instantly and he smiled a knowing yet wistful smile at her. Amy smiled back at him and adjusted her tie before being called away to a different customer. A sale to this young man would be one that would have to wait.

"I know mum, I know. Someday." Anthony answered.

Copyright © 2005 Kozmik Alaska. All rights reserved. You may print or store
this story for personal use only. Republication and redissemination on other websites
or in other printed or electronic format is expressly prohibited without the prior
written consent of Kozmik Alaska.

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I remember reading this a while back...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I'd love to have someone like Amy in my family, aye? Love this series, KA. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I liked this and the Canadiana of it too:)

It's been a long time since I was out in Winterpeg and this was a nice return. I did like the line about her image like a poloroid coming slowly into focus.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers