The Voice - Part 1 Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


The Voice


Part One Chapter One



by Roo

My name is Jason - and I'm a fifteen year old boy, I'm in grade ten and I have another two years at school, before I can get a full time job. I really don't like school very much and will be glad to leave it behind.

I live with my Mum in a big old house in an inner suburb in Lance city, which dates back to when the coal miners worked deep underground, and they dug the coal out by using picks and shovels, but it is now a modern city and no longer relies on coal for its economy.

ooooOOOoooo

I have a part time job in a book store just down the road from my school, so when school lets out in the afternoon at three pm, I go directly to the shop and start work in the back store- room. Most afternoons I work till six pm, and in the fall it gets dark by six thirty.

I usually catch a bus to our suburb and get off about a block away from home and walk the rest of the way home. There is a large cemetery that I walk past to get to the street where I live .
By the time I got to my bus stop tonight it was after six thirty pm, and quite dark -- me being the adventurous type decided to go through the cemetery to cut out two streets from my walk home.

I opened the heavy wrought-iron gates. They weren’t locked but were always kept closed, I guess it is to keep kids from playing on the graves. It is a historic cemetery and dates back to the late seventeenth century, and a lot of miners and their wives and kids were buried in family plots. It was probably cheaper in those days to buy the grave sites for the whole family.

Anyway I started walking in the direction of home, along one of the paths between the graves, I could see quite well because there were lamps every so often that lit the whole cemetery up.
I think the lamps were there to stop people from vandalising the head stones, as they would be irreplaceable. The cemetery was the size of a normal city block so it seemed to go on forever and there were sections that were quite dark as the tombstones were looming up in front of me. I was quite jittery.

As I walked past a tombstone that had a skull and bones imprinted on the face of it I felt like something was watching me. I didn't know whether to run or find out who was there trying to play a joke on me, because there were some jerks at my school who were always pulling stupid stunts on students that didn't fit in with their crowd. Anyway I decide to stay and find out if this was just another stunt they were pulling to scare the living daylights out of me.

I stood in front of the tombstone and said, “Right you bastards! You can come out where I can see you now, because I’m not playing your stupid games any more.”

Nothing! Not a sound, Now I was getting worried, wondering what or who was there. I started to walk around the other side of the tombstone which was taller than me. I felt a definite presence and was getting just a little bit freaked out, when it started to get really cold. Now I know it was fall, but it was still to early to be this cold. I mean the temperature dropped by twenty degrees in a matter of minutes. I started to walk away and found that once I was about ten feet away the temperature went back to normal.

I decided to investigate why this was happening, I know Mum would be worried if I didn't turn up home in the next half hour so I couldn't stay here too long. So I went back to the grave and as I got closer it was colder again so I went right up and touched the tombstone. It felt like an electric shock going through me and I could not let go, The presence I felt earlier started to materialise into a misty type of shape and the lamps that were about fifty feet away gave the mist a silvery outline. I still could not let go of the tombstone. I thought I had better try to communicate with whatever this thing is or I might be here all night.

I calmed myself and said “Alright whatever or whoever you are, can you please release my hand?”

As soon as I said that it let me go. Now the mist started to form itself into a more recognisable form. It then started to communicate with me in my mind.

It said, “Please do not be scared, I will not hurt you.”

I said out loud “I can't hear you talk but I hear you in my mind.”

It said back in my mind “It is the only way spirits can communicate with living people.”

I said back in my normal voice, “I have to get home or my Mum will be calling the police out to come and find me.”

The spirit/ghost than started to fade as it said, “Please come back tomorrow”, and it faded away and the temperature went back to normal.

When I got home I told my Mum why I was late.

To be continued.

Please leave a comment.

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Roo,

Good to see your story on BCTS,but I have had cold shivers up and down my spine.
I am sure that it will not be too ghostly:)!

ALISON

The Voice

Will be fun to see what happens

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good Start Roo

Hugs Roo :)
This is a relly good start, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. But I'm getting a taste of how I make the readers feel for once, because I know I will have to :(
Keep up the good work, and I left you a kudos to nible on while you work on the next chaptor.

Hugs and Love

SaraUK

Shivers

Really well done. I got shivers while reading. Can't wait for next chapter.

RAMI

RAMI

Very cool!

I don't scare well, so I'm not going to go into how frightening the story is. I liked the characters and the set-up, and I look forward to seeing the step!

Wren

Hi Roo!!!

Pamreed's picture

An interesting start!!! So now you have me hooked! What
is the spirit going to say? Is it a male or female spirit?
I just found this so I am just getting started!!

Hugs,
Pamela