Down the Rabbit Hole, pt.4

Printer-friendly version

This is a work of fiction and all characters are used without permission. All prior warnings about needing to know certain information still apply. Reading part one, part 1.5, part 2, and part 3 of the story will be very helpful in understanding it. This story is only to be posted on Big Closet unless I have given my approval to post it elsewhere. Comments are appreciated.

“I never knew you were so talented!” I heard Jade say to me after I got back to the dorm room. “I bet you have given everyone in the cottage the impression you’re a Siren with that performance.” Another voice that I recognized as being that of Ryoko. Deciding to pull a little joke on them I decided to try pulling a Kioyne on her.

“Space pirate Ryoko you are under arrest on over 500 charges.” I said trying to contain my giggling. “I always imagined pulling that on you if I ever met you and the rest of your team-I just never expected it to be in the flesh.”

On the verge of punching me she stopped after thinking about it “I take it you’re an anime fan too then. By the way my name’s not Ryoko. It’s Billie.” She said to me before adding “I hope you can stand Ayla’s music. It annoyed her last roommate to no end.” I added “I haven’t heard of the Brass Monkeys but if they sound anything like modern bands from where I am from, I am not going to like it.”

Around this time the other female changelings decided to come and introduce themselves to me. “You already met my roommate, Nikki but you haven’t met me yet.” Toni said after Nikki had raised a protection field around us. “It looks like you haven’t unpacked and did quite a bit of shopping” Billie said while gesturing to the bags sitting on my bed. It appears that someone had been kind enough to put sheets, my blankets, and pillowcases on my pillows because they were all there on the bed.

“No need to thank me for making your bed and putting the sheets on. I had no trouble at all with that.” Jade said to me. “You don’t want to know how I feel right now.” I said to everyone. “I feel like I passed up something real bad when I made a choice to come here.” I said once again remembering the events that led to me coming to the academy. “Do they have anything to do with your powers? Can you show us some of what you can do in this room?” Ayla asked me.

“Well I can try but I highly doubt everyone will be able to see my powers.” I said while pulling out the Soul pass from my purse. Holding it up where everyone could see it, I said “Raise your hand if you can see the thing I am holding up. If you vaguely see it tell me. I saw 4 hands go up and Ayla said “I don’t see anything so I guess the rest of you will have to describe what you see.” I then pushed the soul pass against my body and instantly my soul exited my body, startling everyone.

“I’m still here, no need to call for the nurse. I have to exit my body to show you part of what I can do.” I said while seeing Ayla scrambling for her phone to call the nurse. Drawing out Sodenoshidayuki I said “I’ll pull out my swords, which are actually zanpakto and release them. If I have the energy to manifest their spirits I’ll introduce you to them.” I said before saying her release command.

“Oh man that is a neat looking sword. Where can I get one that looks just like that?” I heard Nikki say.

My reply was brief but swift “sorry to say it, but Sodenoshidayuki’s a unique sword. Even if you became a Soul Reaper, you wouldn’t get her as your zanpakto. The circumstances in which I acquired the two zanpakto” I said while carefully grabbing Zangetsu off my back with my right hand “are very unlikely to occur again for any of you. The sword in my right hand is Zangetsu. Let me attempt to bring them out to meet you.”
Everyone else was perplexed by my statement but they were dissuaded once I managed to get Sodenoshidayuki out for them to see. “She is beautiful.” I heard Jade say. “I wish I knew what you knew at the time you grabbed her, Danielle. Then I might have had a chance at owning her.” Nikki said in a authorative voice before switching back to her normal voice “Aung is jealous of you for owning that sword. Don’t get me started on other stuff you have that she knows about.”

“I kind of see her but all I see is an aura of blue standing next to you.” Toni said. Deciding to switch it up I sheathed the sword and went back into my body. Grabbing a pencil off Ayla’s desk I said “See this pencil? Watch me change it into a notebook.” I said while imagining the change in my mind.

“You could make a killing off of that ability” Ayla said to me. “How did you gain that ability? Was it as a result of your mutation?” “No.” I said “It was something I gained at a high price. Possibly the highest price anyone on campus has ever paid for a ability.”

“What was the price?” Ayla pestered me, wanting to know the little details. Nikki came to my defense very quickly. “The price she paid was a level 5 burnout shortly after she came to the campus.” Obviously deciding to leave the little info about the white Philosopher’s Stone in my broach out of the conversation. “Oh. That’s an extremely high price. At least you are alive.” Ayla said consolingly.

“I got more abilities I learned but due to circumstances, I cannot show them to you inside my dorm room.” I said while starting to unpack my stuff that we brought back from the lab. Unknowingly, a undesired visitor had been packed inside by Officer Davis and was now about to make his debut.

“Finally. I thought I was going to be buried under that stuff for days. Come to daddy!” I heard a voice which could only be Kon’s say as he leapt towards me. Kicking him against the wall I said “Kon, I’ve had a VERY long day and I don’t want to hear anything from you about it. You’re going to be surrounded by girls whenever you are in this dorm room. Now are you going to behave or do I have to take you to Kiskue Urahara to get your gender changed?”

At that threat, Kon changed his attitude. “I’ll behave I promise.” Not wanting to think about what Kon was really thinking I reached inside his throat and pulled him out. Showing the pearl to everyone in the room I said “This is what Kon actually looks like. I don’t think I need to tell you what he might do to any of us given the chance. Regardless of if he can hear this or not, I’m going to Kiskue when I find him and asking him to change Kon’s gender so there isn’t any ‘trouble’.”

“I don’t get what is so important about a silly little pearl.” Billie said. Jade interrupted her by pulling out a folding door by using Jinn “Lookie what I found inside the container.” Jinn said. “It even has easy peel-off sticky backing so it can go up on a wall.” “Let’s see what will happen if we hang it in our common area.” Billie said, gesturing to the door containing a short hallway linking our dorm rooms. “All right let’s see what happens when it goes up but be prepared for anything.” I cautioned.

After we put the door up, we entered it and found ourselves inside a large room which was  ½ kitchen and  ½ living room. It had two TV’s, one of which I instantly recognized as being an identical copy of the TV in my uncle’s bedroom that I used to play NES and Sega Genesis games on. The other TV looked like it was an HDTV and I couldn’t be sure of the number of speakers it had.

Everyone else was looking around in surprise when the computer said “Hello, Danielle and team Kimba. I’m the computer for this lair. There is a letter for you on the kitchen table, Danielle. I suggest you read it.” The computer said. Picking up the letter I read it and here is what it said.

Danielle,
I hope you enjoy this gift from me
Signed,
Your favorite letter of the alphabet

“Q!” I said in a loud voice, startling everyone. To my surprise he popped his head in saying “Yes, mon petite?” “Why did you give me this ‘lair’?” I asked him. His reply was relatively simple “I gave it to you so that you would be able to go to and from your house and Whateley Academy rather easily. Don’t think that it’s also so you can have someplace to think, away from prying eyes.”

Around this time, Ayla came up to Q to say something. She had looked around and found the enormous game libraries that existed for each system. “Thanks for giving her this, Q. I think Danielle needed this to take her mind off things.” Q responded “You’re very welcome, Ayla. Now if you excuse me, I’m a very busy Q. If you need me just say me name.” Q said before disappearing in a flash.

I then inquired about the power supply for the entire lair as well as life support. The reply I got back from the computer was a surprise. “The power supply is a stable draw from a parallel universe. It will never run out. Life support I have no control over and is totally automatic. There is a TARDIS translator device that can be turned on or off at your convenience.” The computer said to me.

I heard Toni then say “Why won’t this mini fridge open for me?” as I came over to look. I saw that it was reinforced to prevent opening without unlocking and saw a place to put my hand. So doing that I was able to get the mini fridge to open. After taking a brief look inside I said “Toni, the reason you couldn’t get it open is you aren’t 21. There is liquor inside it. Why don’t we move a few of the containers inside here for safe keeping?”

And with the agreement of everyone else, we proceeded back to my room. I carefully unpacked a couple of the anime that had been released on DVD up to this point and put them on my desk, next to my monitor. After we got back inside the ‘lair’, we proceeded to unpack and fill up the entertainment center.

“I heard rumors about this movie.” Ayla said while handling my 3-disk Blu-ray copy of the Star Trek remake. I stated “They did an all right job with casting but Scotty was spot-on perfect. That movie does NOT leave this ‘lair’.” Toni had something to say about Bleach “I don’t get how there can be an anime about a liquid you use in the washer.”

“You’ll find out come September 22nd. Anyone in here will be free to watch the premier on DVD but no one interrupts when I am watching. In fact, since I am so far ahead of you guys in the show and you would be extremely lost while watching, no one can come in to watch it.” I neglected to mention I was at episode 248 in the series and had already given them some tiny spoilers.

As we pulled out the 3 Stooges: Complete Knucklehead collection Ayla asked “What are the 3 stooges?” at that question 5 sets of eyes turned towards her. Billie phoned Hank to come inside her room and into the hallway and upon him showing up I said “Hello Hank. Ayla here just asked who the 3 stooges are.” His response was very calm but reflected the fury everyone else had. “Ayla, go to the bathroom. You’re going to find out who the 3 Stooges were.”

“If you intend to hold Ayla down while watching, I have a better idea.” I said while Ayla went to the rest room, puzzled. “Wait until Ayla is on the couch and then let me try my attempt. If it works, Ayla will be immobilized. If not, you hold her down.” He decided to agree with me on this point for once.

After Ayla had returned to the room and sat down I went in front of her and said “Hado #1: Scythe!” and right away Ayla was restrained by invisible chains. “Don’t try to struggle. We’ll only torture you with three of the shorts.” I said while Jade had Jinn put disk 1 of volume 1 into the DVD player hooked up to the big TV. Right away the big HDTV shrunk in size to be an old school TV.

“I assure you. You’ll be laughing in less than 5 minutes after the shorts start up.” I said with everyone else nodding their heads in agreement. After turning the TV on with a nearby remote, I saw that it was already at the menu. Clicking the play all button caused speakers to disappear except for the speaker beneath the TV. As the music started up I said “I’ll be right back. I want to start setting my computer up. I’ll leave the door open.”

I started to pull out the cables from one of the boxes and assemble my machine back up. Thinking against connecting the computer to the campus network for fear of hacking, I kept the Ethernet cable set aside. All told it took me 5 minutes to hook everything up. The coaxial cable I had for my TV tuner I had to snake across the floor to hook it up to my PC.

While I was doing this I heard a voice in my head. “Hello, Danielle. I heard about you and suggest you visit my office in Schulscher room 206 on the 29th at 3 o’clock.” The voice said. Turning around from my computer which at this point was booting into Windows, I said “Hello Louis. I hope you can keep a whole lot of secrets from the rest of the world.” “I am the most powerful psychic in the world. Of course I can keep a secret. That is why I am a therapist and psychologist. We can chat over a game of chess.” Louis said.

Sighing, I said “All right, Louis. I will visit you at the time and place you stated.” I said and Louis replied “OK see you then. Good night.” Louis said before vanishing from my dorm room.

Deciding to do what I came out here to accomplish hidden from the others, I grabbed the 1st volume of the Sailor Moon box set and looked at it. I giggled at the sight of ‘Gurren Lagaan Productions’ on the back. I had tears in my eyes as I saw the features on the disk. Although it was only 3 episodes those episodes had 3 video angles, one being the original US broadcast version, one being a remastered one from Funimation complete with 5.1 dub, and the Japanese video angle with both audio tracks.

After booting up the software I used to rip the disk I whistled after I saw it finish loading. The disk was about 43 GB large so I knew it would take about an hour to start. Deciding to boot up Steam on my PC, I set that into offline mode before I headed back inside the lair which I decided to call the “Kimba Kwarters” to hear Ayla laughing to the 3 stooges short that was playing. It just so happened to be the second short on the disk that was playing.

“She has been laughing since about 90 seconds into the first short.” I heard Hank say to me. “However, Toni had some sugar and is practically bouncing off the walls.” “I can see that” I said as I saw Toni talking very fast. “Ohmygodyouhavetogivemeacopyofthisset!” she said to me. “Can you remove these chains binding me? I’ve tried everything but I can’t get out of them.” I heard Ayla say. Deciding that she had seen enough I proceeded to remove the bindings.

“Hado #1 release.” I said in front of Ayla, removing the invisible chains around her. “Do you now have an idea of who the 3 Stooges are?” I said. I saw her nodding and at that I stopped the DVD and ejected it. Again Jinn took the DVD and put it back in its case. “Thank you, Jinn.” I said to her. Deciding to want to investigate the lair further I said “Why don’t we all decide to take a look around this lair? We might find something out about it.”

And so we paired off but we had Toni head out to her room due to her being hyperactive. Ayla and I were to investigate the kitchen/living room area. Jade and Billie were going down one side of the hallway, looking inside each door they found if possible. Nikki and Jinn were going down the other side of the hallway, again going inside each door if they could. Everyone was to return to the center area in fifteen minutes to say what they found.

Looking inside the center console we found the Blu-ray player as well as connections leading to an Xbox 360, a PS3, a N64, and a Wii. Looking inside the sides of the entertainment center revealed one side to be full of the movies I didn’t find inside the wreckage in the lab.

Checking the kitchen area, we found that it had a working sink, drawers with forks, knives, and spoons, cups and plates. Checking the fridge, I found that everything I had in the fridge in my old dorm room was here. I also checked the nearby cabinet and saw that my 12-packs of soda were there, less the cans I had in the fridge. The mini-fridge we didn’t even bother checking because the two of us knew what was in there.

When we got to the wall next to the hallway, we stopped and looked at it. Sitting in the wall was a replicator that looked like it would belong on the Enterprise. “Do you want to see what things this has on file?” Ayla asked me. I replied “Yeah I’ll look and see what it has in its databank.”
The computer interrupted me saying “I wouldn’t suggest you do that. You wouldn’t even reach the end of the list of categories before everyone came back. Suffice to say that it contains a whole lot of dishes.” Sighing I said “All right I’ll take your word for it.”

And we proceeded to investigate the area around the smaller TV. I was surprised to see a complete lack of games for the systems hooked up to it. I also was surprised to see that there was a cable going out the back of each unit and into the wall. When I inquired to the computer about the wires I was told “I have the complete ROM list of each system on my hard drives. Each system has a hardcoded menu selector along with optional cheat codes that can be used for each game.”

I then proceeded to start to examine the other game consoles but was interrupted by everyone returning. “We are all getting bathing suits. I saw a large pool at the end of our search area.” Nikki said to everyone. “What Hank and I saw was a bunch of bedrooms, a room that looked like a Holodeck from the Enterprise-D, and a room that was identical to the Sick bay from the Enterprise-E.” Billie said.

“We didn’t find out much that we didn’t already know about here.” I said while Ayla proceeded to explain “What we found was a Star trek-style replicator, the kitchen is furnished like a normal kitchen, and what else, Danielle?” Ayla said to be, telling me to add my input.

“ The NES, SNES, and Genesis don’t have cartridge games.” I said to the gasp of everyone. “The games are in ROM format on the computer’s hard drives. The consoles themselves have a menu to select the rom and to add cheats and I would also hope has a search function. We found some more movies that belong to me that I didn’t find inside the wreckage of the lab. I wouldn’t be surprised if the n64 is the same way as the other 3 consoles we saw.”

“Well it’s getting late and we don’t want the Dorm Mother wondering what I’m doing up here so late at night.” Hank said, gesturing to his watch. It was 8:30 PM. “I guess I should head back to my room as well then, do my homework, and get ready for bed.” Nikki said.

I added “It looks like we can ditch code-names while we are inside this ‘lair’ due to no one being able to gain access to it. I came up with a name for it. I’d like to call this area the Kimba Kwarters. That is if you’ll have me on your team.”

Everyone nodded their heads that they’d like to have me apart of their team. When they raised questions about me being able to be on the team Nikki said “I’ve seen her before burnout and she was a candidate for Poe 2 days ago. Nothing has changed except she has a mixture of joy and sadness whereas before she was all depressed. Was it worth it to pull a Yurameshi in the forest, Danielle?” Nikki asked me straight out.

“For me it was like going through hell and facing your worst nightmare but I got what I wanted most out of it. I wouldn’t recommend anyone else use up their life force in one huge attack like I did unless they REALLY want to die.” I said not wanting to go into much detail about events that occurred in my mind while I was in burnout because they didn’t need to know how close I was to actually not being here.

“Well welcome to the team.” Hank said, holding out his hand which I shook. After that, Nikki and Hank left the newly dubbed Kimba Kwarters and went back to their rooms. “Jade, Jinn, and I should get back to our homework too.” Billie said before they left as well. That left Ayla and me alone in the room. It was time for me to tell Ayla a few important things.

“Ayla” I started “I have a few companies I need to acquire because Q left me with Intellectual Property belonging to those companies. I know exactly how to get Duke Nukem out of our hair for the remainder of his stay here but I’m going to need help getting the capital out of my trust fund that Mrs. Hartford setup.”

“Sounds to me like you got your work cut out for you. How much is in the trust fund?” Ayla said. I whispered into her ear “4 billion total. I have two billion in liquid assets and 2 billion in rare metals. Since I am over the age of 18, I can access all of it.” At that Ayla whistled and said “I only got 300 million and I am a Goodkind! What is the reason you got 4 billion in a trust?” I told her about the reason I came to the campus.

“I have to take your word on that. I can understand WHY you don’t want people knowing about your true origin. Can I see that proof you have that will keep Duke Nukem out of our hair for the rest of his time here?” Ayla said to me. So I decided to search in the lair for the PS3 version of the game and a controller. Upon finding them in the entertainment center, I powered up the PS3, showed Ayla the game, and popped the game into the console, booting the game up and handing her the controller.

The big TV changed to be its original display and other speakers came up around us. In order to keep the game’s details as hidden as I could, I took the controller away from Ayla and ejected the disk after the intro had played. After putting the game’s case back where I found it and shutting the system down I said “Now do you see how we can keep him out of our hair?”

“Yup that’s a sure-fire way to keep him out of our hair. But what’s to prevent him from just charging at us? He has the code name right now.” Ayla said. I stated simply “A contract which states that if he attacks any member of the team or their associates outside of a Combat arena of Combat final, he loses the right to the codename. But for that I need to own the IP and transfer it to Gearbox which I then wish to be the owner or majority stakeholder in.”

Understanding that I was speaking in terms she understood she said “Give me $3 million of your money to manage. I doubt you’ll be spending all of that money.” I retorted saying “I am going to be buying at least ONE Japanese company that is publically traded. Another I will attempt to buy the distribution service for. A third I am going to need to buy and give money so that they can operate for a while before they release a game.”

“Give me a list of the companies you intend to purchase, the estimated costs, and the total in liquid assets and I’ll see how much you can give me so I can make more money for you.” Ayla said. After this, we exited the Kimba Kwarters and headed to our dorm room. It was now 8:45 PM and my sister, Jennifer decided to come into the room now.

“Hey there sis I’ve been knocking on the door for ages. I heard you doing those 3 karaoke songs and have to say you were amazing. Are you a Siren perchance?” My sister said to me. I replied “I’m no Siren. At least I don’t think so. I’d like to hear how you wound up in Poe as well as what powers you have.” I said to her.

“I’m a shifter. I can change into any living form that I touch and concentrate on. However, exactly 1 hour and fifty minutes after I change, I change back. For some reason, when I change back I can only wear skintight clothing. Hence my code-name: Megamorph. As for coming to Poe, well I was a guy and started to develop a girl’s puberty about 7 months ago.” She said to me.

At the description of her powers I instantly was reminded of the name of a young adult book series I had read that was titled ‘Animorphs’. The only difference here was something was compelling her to change back before the two-hour deadline.

And so the two of us chatted about little stuff with Ayla deciding to do her homework in the Kimba Kwarters as she could see this was going to get into personal family stuff. I found out that my little brother had the same birthdate and that she had been a Cub Scout. She was in 8th grade at the catholic school I graduated from when the changes started so she was pulled out for homeschooling to avoid a backlash occurring from parents of kids at the school.

I also found out that we still lived at the same address but our house was on three lots not one. Dad still worked at the same job he had where I came from and mom still liked her flowers and ceramic molds, two things I hated with a passion back at home.

I found out my sister liked magna and was reading Bleach online so I told her quietly “If you want to watch the anime, go ahead. Just make sure none of the others know. Avoid episodes 64-108 and 167-189 as those are filler. Don’t watch any further than you are in the magna. You will be getting WAY ahead of where the subs are if you watch my DVD’s.”

“And what episode are you at that allows you to know those are filler episodes?” she said to which I had a quick reply. I told her “I was on episode 248 when I left. I am going to continue my watching them at midnight on Saturdays. If you want to stick to where the dub is, you’ll start watching the DVD’s in September and stop watching when I tell you for how long I tell you.”
At this she said “I guess you don’t want me seeing something that hasn’t been completed yet by telling me that part. I’ll do as you requested. I’ll even ask to watch the episodes ahead of time. Speaking of time I should be going. Lights out is in an hour.” Jennifer said after which she ran out the door.

At that statement I decided to start watching the Blu-ray disk I had copied to my computer. I took the disk out of the drive and put it in the case and put that away. By now as I was about to sit down to watch an episode Ayla asked me “When and where did you assemble that PC? I took a quick look at it and it looks like it was a custom build machine.” I said to her “my dad ordered the parts I picked out off of the internet and we assembled it together. It was over 3,000 for the parts alone minus the external e-SATA adaptor and OS. It was my 21st birthday gift.”

“I assembled it for one game that I have.” I said, recalling the NDA that I signed about project Rapture. Finding a set of disks I had in my backpack I handed them to Ayla saying “Here Ayla. They may be dry listening to but you might learn something about trading from them.” Ayla simply said thanks and by now I had to put my stuff away as it was nearing the time for lights out.
Sighing, I decided to start putting everything into drawers. The bras and panties I put in one draw with tops in the drawer underneath. The skirts I put in a third drawer off to the right side while the pairs of jeans I put on the left side. I hung the two dresses up in the armoire I had before changing into one of the three nighties that were purchased.

I asked Ayla “Do you mind if we use my IPod touch to wake up in the morning?” “Do you have any Brass Monkeys on there?” she replied. “No but I think you might appreciate some of the music on it.” I said. “All right but tomorrow night we use my music as the alarm clock.” Ayla replied. So setting the alarm clock to 6:30 AM because I had a powers test at 8 AM and wanted to make sure I had eaten breakfast before then, I decided to go to sleep. I had a hunch tomorrow was going to be a very long, very tiring day.

Notes: the rest of the people on campus are there either on Summer Session III or on a summer bridge semester. I moved the events of everyone meeting up by about 2 months. The events of the team’s first night occurred the night before, while Danielle was in burnout. I really need feedback on how good the story is. This is short because it is the rest of that first night. Part 5 will be the powers testing and events afterwards (basically the whole day). I included a certain Tenchi reference to make sure they knew I was into anime if my collection didn't indicate otherwise to them. Yes I used real accounting terms. I really WAS under a NDA for FFXIV (which same may recognize as Project Rapture) so that knowledge is need-to-know.

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a Tesseract clubhouse,

that was different. when she showed her soul reaper powers, Ayla should have been able to see that, or some of it. have you been following the recent Ayla stories on crystal hall.
they are putting her in magic basic classes even though she does not have natural magic powers, she can see and hear stuff others don't that relate.
interesting chapter, thanks

it's not like that. Seeing

it's not like that. Seeing magic is one thing. If you follow Bleach at all, you would know that those who can sense and see Soul Reapers are few and far between. I decided to carry that over. She may end up being able to see her in the future however given enough time (or the right stimulus...). Yes I have been following them. I also happen to have the finale for this segment done (my how writing can be so easy when you are defragging a very large hard drive) but I am going to wait a little bit before posting it. Again I will reiditerate: I need a editor to look at my work because I intend to condense all the segments together.

ok

i'm only up to about episode 62 or 63, right after the end of the rescue.
I know it a different kind of magic.

Still good

Jamie Lee's picture

The quantity of videos she has is staggering. Not to mention games and the consoles. All the equipment, videos, games and consoles add up to a small fortune.

Wonder where all the money comes from?

Others have feelings too.