Somewhere Else Entirely -48-

Printer-friendly version

Knowing that time is short before they all depart for the north, Garia arranges an afternoon demonstration of electrical matters to the King. Also invited are several of the Questors, about who she knows little except for her brushes with Morlan and the enthusiasm of Gerdas.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

48 - Spark of Invention


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Do you not ride today, milady?"

Garia regarded Stott with interest. "Did you want me to? Why would that be, then?"

The trainee guardsman reddened. "Uh, milady, it wasn't meant like that. I just noticed that you weren't wearing the uniform you wore the other times you rode."

She gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Stott, I was just having a little fun. Yesterday I got both my riding outfits dirty so I can't ride today, that's all. I'll just go and see Snep this morning, make sure he's properly settled. Besides," she said with a shrug, "I'm going to be busy this afternoon with a demonstration and I have to leave before lunch to make sure everything is set up correctly. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of the King."

Stott lowered his eyes. "I forget, milady, that you move in such circles."

"Think yourself lucky that you don't, Stott. Although, of course, once you pass out from the training, the King will be seeing more of you than he does now."

"As you say, milady."

"If you are not riding, milady," Vern said from behind her, "then what may you intend?"

"I don't know, Vern. What do you suggest?"

"The morning looks mostly dry so far, milady. I planned to take some of the men outside and test their skill with the bow. I have heard that Stott here claims some proficiency."

"Well, you'll not get me to pull a bow, I'm afraid. The things are just too big for me. I did try to pull the string that one day, but I could barely move it." She grinned. "I'd also heard about Stott. May I watch?"

"As you wish, milady."

The recruits made their way to the stables to check their beasts and then gathered outside behind the Large Training Hall for target practice. Since the men were of various sizes and builds they were permitted to choose from a selection of bows and then given five arrows to fire at the target. This was a waist-high post hammered into the ground halfway down the field with a small red flag nailed to the top, after the manner of a corner flag on a football pitch.

The arrows went everywhere, one even striking the side of the armory and causing a bellow from Haflin. He appeared around the end of the building hiding behind the biggest shield Garia had ever seen, to wave his huge fist in the air and shout curses at the chastened troops. Vern was shaking his head as he made notations about each of the men on a slate. Soon it was Stott's turn.

His first arrow overshot by two strides. His second was a stride short and to one side. His third stuck in the base of the post about a foot up, his fourth hit the grass right by the side of the post and the fifth went through the flag and remained dangling there. Everyone applauded.

"Stott, you have redeemed this intake of recruits," Vern said. "It seems the stories about your prowess were no exaggeration. You will make a fine addition to the Palace Guard, assuming you can bring the rest of your performance up to a reasonable standard."

"As you say, Quadrant." Stott looked concerned, the rest of his performance up till this point had been distinctly average.

As they waited for the rest to shoot Garia went to stand by him. "Where did you learn to shoot like that, Stott? Even in my own lands, with much more modern bows and arrows, I doubt anyone could put on a display like that."

"Thank, you, milady," Stott replied, although he was clearly embarrassed by the attention. "I, uh, was found hunting, milady. Unfortunately, the game I had shot belonged to the King."

"You're a poacher?" she exclaimed, eyes wide. "I might have guessed!" she giggled. "Still, I reckon they did the right thing by making you a guardsman."

"It was only my skill with the bow that saved me, milady. If I hadn't been so skillful I would now be doing five years on a galley or a treadmill."

Garia sobered at the reminder that life could be harsh for ordinary folk in this world. "I'm sorry, Stott. I didn't mean to make light of what happened to you. I don't know anything about you or your circumstances. I don't really know what life is like outside the palace."

"We all make assumptions, milady, just as I made assumptions about you. Think nothing of it."

Vern approached them. "Stott, I don't think you need to stay with this group as you are clearly proficient with your bow. Milady, since you cannot pull a bow at all, I think it best if you retire as well. The rest of this morning will be tedious, I think, and your time would be better spent in the hall. Perhaps you should both speak to Borkin, he tests a group for knowledge of knife work. You'll find him inside the door to your right."

The two walked inside and found a group of nine men attempting to throw knives at a board which had been painted with a human silhouette. They joined the guardsman in charge of the group.

"Are you Borkin?" Garia asked. "Vern said we should join you."

Borkin was a dark-complexioned guard a little taller than Garia and seemingly without an ounce of fat on his body. Yes, I can see him hiding in a dark alley waiting for a passer-by, she thought. He's got the kind of build I'd expect a knife-fighter to have.

He saluted her. "Milady? I am testing the ability of these men with a knife. Do you wish to try? And this man with you is ..?"

"Stott, sir," he replied." I knows how to use a hunting knife, sir, but I don't know how to use one in a fight. Properly, that is."

"I don't know if I can do it either," Garia added. "All my training and experience has been to disarm any opponent who had a knife. I'm not sure I could fight with one."

Borkin looked askance at her statement about disarming a knife-holding opponent, but he had heard stories... "As well as fighting, milady, one may also throw. That is what we test this morning. Shall you try?"

"As you wish, Borkin," Garia said, stepping forward.

The next half bell proved embarrassing for Garia as it became apparent that she could not throw a knife at a target at all. Men had to jump for safety when the knives bounced off the target in unpredictable directions. She tried varying her throw and grip but it made little apparent difference. Finally she was forced to admit defeat.

"I'm sorry, Borkin," she said when he patiently held the knife out to her again, "I'm just not getting this for some reason. I'm taking too much of your time, I think. Move on to someone else, please. I'll have to work on my own problem by myself."

She stood and watched the others, including Stott, take their turns at the board.

This reminds me of my first attempt at using the mat after coming here. I was all over the place, and the harder I tried the worse it became. I'll need to work on it in private some time. I wonder if some of my file can help me figure this out?

Or... do I need to learn knife-fighting at all? If I can disarm someone, I don't need to fight them, and I should soon have those swords available for larger conflicts.

...Even so, despite the profusion of weapons everybody carries it seems reasonably peaceful to me around these parts, so I don't think the lack of skill with a short blade is going to cause me a big problem. Let's just live with it for the time being. I've too many other things going on to worry about yet another method of fighting.

"Milady?"

"Uh, yes, Borkin?"

"You say that you could disarm someone who attacked you with a knife. This seems... a bold statement, if you would forgive me. How do you manage that, if I may ask?"

Garia smiled. "I can demonstrate if you like. Get the men to form a circle as big as they can. The knife can end up anywhere."

Can I do it in this skirt? I think I can.

The men moved back smartly and the word spread through the hall, so that she and Borkin ended up at the center of a space about ten strides across with thirty or so men watching them. Out of deference to the watchers Borkin had found a practice knife with a blunt blade, the kind they used to teach close quarter work with, but it would still cause injury if it hit someone just so.

Garia moved away and stood casually watching Borkin. He looked at her with puzzlement.

"Milady? Are you ready?"

"I am. I'm walking along a street, say, and you want me dead. Jump me."

"As you wish, milady." He paused. "This might hurt, milady."

She gave him a quirky smile. "If you kill me properly, it shouldn't hurt for long."

There were amused mutterings from the crowd at that. Borkin settled himself, steeled himself for action, and then lunged at Garia -

- who side-stepped, kicked the blade out of his hand then threw him over her shoulder. He didn't quite land flat on his back, Garia hadn't wanted to cause him injury, but he was slow to climb back to his feet. There was spontaneous applause from the crowd.

Borkin faced her while he dusted himself down. "Milady, I don't know what to say. You have done something I would not have believed possible. Does this mean that there is no value in teaching the art of fighting with knives? Is it always possible to do what you have just done?"

"No, it isn't always possible. Much depends on circumstances. If I were hard up against a wall, for example, it would be difficult for me to throw you. And of course it's much more difficult to kick aside a knife that's thrown at you." She turned to make sure the crowd heard her next words. "That's not a trick you can get away with if the guy is coming at you with a sword, either. My style of fighting isn't suitable for every occasion."

"What's going on here?" Merek had appeared to see what had caused the men to congregate. "Oh, milady. I ought to have guessed."

"Captain. I was showing Borkin the knife trick, and explaining why it can only be used on certain occasions. He isn't out of a job just yet."

"As you say, milady. And do you throw the knife as well?"

"Unfortunately not, captain. It seems that the shape of my body isn't suitable for that particular activity." She smiled at him. "I can do other things, though, so it should not matter too much."

Merek nodded. "I agree, milady. Now, if you'll excuse me." He turned to the ring of men. "Back to work, you men!"

"Milady," Borkin asked, "will you teach this art of yours to the rest of us? How to remove a knife from an opponent would be a vital thing to know, even if it could not be practiced everywhere."

"The file I have been training in the Self Defense Training Room," she pointed to the door in the corner, "all know how to do that, and they will be spreading their knowledge amongst the rest of you in due course."

Borkin bowed an acknowledgment. "Thank you, milady."

"Milady."

Garia turned to find Jenet waiting.

"Milady, it is about time you should be leaving if you wish to go to the laboratory."

"Is it? Maker, how time flies! Yes, all right, Jenet. Lead the way. Captain, Borkin, I have to leave now, if you'll excuse me."

When Garia and Jenet reached the laboratory they found it hot, steamy, noisy and full of bustle. Keren and Merizel were there, watching as Tarvan, Fulvin and two journeymen worked around the two benches setting up and checking the experiments. To one side, the steam engine was clattering away at full throttle, filling the big room with vapor and the smell of burnt wood. Garia moved down the room, waving to her friends. Tarvan saw her coming and most activity in the room stopped.

"Garia!" Keren beamed at her. "This is exciting! I can't remember when I've spent a more interesting morning."

"Milady," Tarvan greeted her more calmly. "I believe everything is ready for this afternoon's display."

"Tarvan..?" Garia had to shout to be heard over the chuffing of the steam engine. "Look, I think we can probably stop the engine now. We won't be able to run it this afternoon, in any case, it will be too hot and no-one will be able to hear anything."

"You're right, milady," Tarvan agreed, and he made a sign to the journeymen. Both moved to the engine, adjusted controls and relative silence descended into the room. Keren looked surprised.

"Maker! I didn't realize just how noisy that had gotten. Funny how you adapt to it, isn't it?"

"Yes," Garia said, "and there's a warning there, as well. If you work in noisy spaces, you adapt to it, but you don't realize that what you are doing is slowly going deaf."

"As you say, Garia. It is said that armorers and blacksmiths become deaf with age. Is there anything we should do?"

"Short exposure, like we have in here for the experiments, probably isn't going to hurt anyone much, I think. If you work day-to-day surrounded by noise, then yes, we'll have to think of ways to protect worker's ears." She turned to Tarvan, gesturing at the steam engine. "I see your latest modifications worked all right?"

"Yes, milady. We still get a certain amount of smell and steam in here but that chimney was just the right idea."

The steam engine which had been in the laboratory since the previous demonstration had undergone a number of improvements. The main one was that the space underneath where the tray of alcohol-soaked wool had been had gone to be replaced by a true firebox. A tray went in here, as before, but the fuel was now charcoal, and from the far end a chimney had been fashioned from iron plate that led out one of the windows, taking most of the smoke away. Garia had introduced the idea of a blast-pipe as well, which meant most of the exhaust steam was directed up the chimney, helping to provide a draft which kept the fire bright.

A tank of water was now mounted above the engine on a rickety wooden framework and from this a pipe fed fresh water into the boiler via a manually-operated stirrup-pump. The flywheel on the side of the engine drove a belt which turned a recognizable dynamo mounted next to the engine, this in turn was charging six linked lead-acid cells on a wheeled trolley. Against a nearby wall several tall stacks of dry cells in wooden frames stood ready, wires draping everywhere in profusion.

"Do you think we've done enough with the steam engine?" she asked Tarvan. "It's the first time we'll have tried to charge those wet cells, after all."

Tarvan shrugged. "Let's see, milady." He moved to disconnect the dynamo from the wires leading to the trolley. "Will the spark test work for this battery as well, milady?"

"Of course. It's still electricity however it's generated. How long has the steam engine been running? It usually takes a while to charge up that kind of battery on Earth."

Tarvan gave her a proud smile. "We ran it all night, milady. My two men insisted on taking shifts keeping the water and charcoal topped up. I understand there was a halt of about a bell during the night when they had to fix a worn bearing, but otherwise, it's been going almost since you last visited."

He held up the two wires and then briefly touched them. The instant sizzle and flash made everyone jump.

"I still get overcome every time I experience that, milady," he said. "Such a wonder to see! Will that suffice the demonstration?"

"Oh, yes, Tarvan. Oh, yes. You have all done extremely well." Garia turned to the two journeymen. "You two, once you've tidied the engine up I think you'd better take the rest of the day off, especially if you've been up all night. Yes, I know you want to stay around for the demonstration, but with everyone who's been invited I'm not sure we'll have enough room." She turned back to Tarvan. "Once you've cleaned up it will be lunch time and you'll be joining us in the dining room today. We have important visitors to impress."

Tarvan bowed. "As you say, milady. I will join you there."

Garia turned. "Merizel."

"Garia, I've spent almost all of the morning making drawings and taking notes about what everybody has been doing." She smiled shyly. "With His Highness' help, that is. Tarvan wanted a record and as we had no scribe..."

"Of course. Did you understand what was going on?"

"Mostly I did." Merizel's brow furrowed. "Those circuit diagrams, as you called them, they were very strange. I couldn't see how the lines on the paper had anything to do with the copper wires and other things on the table, but His Highness explained it to me. He said it was just like reading words, because the letters on a page weren't an exact drawing of the sounds of the words, just shapes we made up to represent the sounds. Circuit diagrams are like that, just shapes with lines to represent the wires."

"I never thought of it that way," Garia mused, "but that's as good an explanation as I've heard, I think. Well, are you ready to come and change for lunch? Keren?"

Keren smiled. "Of course."

~o~O~o~

Garia had thought carefully about how she wanted to be perceived by her visitors and so she wore a fresh set of exercise clothes to lunch. This caused a few raised eyebrows when she walked into the dining room on Keren's arm. A group of black-cloaked men were talking to the King, and they all looked in her direction when Robanar beckoned her and Keren to join them.

"This is my son Prince Keren," he introduced them, "and this is Milady Garia who is giving this afternoon's demonstration. Keren, Garia, you know Master Gerdas already, of course. I will let him introduce his fellows to you."

The four men with Robanar and Gerdas looked at Garia with expressions ranging from disbelief through incredulity to arrogant disdain. Gerdas, however, beamed at Garia and bowed.

"Milady, it is good to see you again, now that the rains are nearing their end. I trust you are well?"

"Master Gerdas," she replied with a smile, "I am well, and looking forward to this afternoon. I assume these are some of your fellow Questors?"

"Yes, indeed, milady. May I present Master Brovan, who studies magnetism, Master Peklis who seeks after the truth of chemical reactions, Master Siglond who studies the known metals and this is Master Vanganar who seeks to know more concerning the odors and vapors of the air."

All four bowed towards her, but they were plainly doing it because it was a custom to bow towards women and not otherwise. The one called Siglond regarded her with evident disbelief.

"Milady," he said. "Forgive me, I did not expect that we were meeting someone so young. I thought from Gerdas's explanations that -"

He was interrupted by Brovan. "Your Majesty, is this some kind of amusement? Did you ask us here to speak to children? Gerdas, enough is enough. Where is the one who we will be speaking with this afternoon? Is he not present yet?"

Robanar fixed Brovan with a glare. "If you cannot keep a civil tongue in that swollen head of yours, Brovan, you'll spend the afternoon in my cells! Milady Garia gives the demonstration as Master Gerdas has told you. Do not compare her with any person you have ever met before. She comes from somewhere else entirely and she possesses knowledge far and above that you presume to claim for yourself."

"Sire, this is outrageous!" Brovan huffed. Faced with his King he subsided into a sullen silence.

"I did tell you, Brovan," Gerdas said, "but you insisted on ignoring my words."

"After lunch, Masters, you will see the truth of the matter," Robanar told them. "Until then, I would advise you all to keep your opinions to yourself."

Just then Parrel joined the group, bowing to Robanar.

"Ah, Parrel! Glad you could join us."

"I would not miss one of Milady Garia's demonstrations, Sire," Parrel said. "They are altogether too interesting, and I always learn something new."

The heads of the four Questors swiveled around to view Parrel. Siglond nodded to the smith.

"Master Parrel, well met. So, you have already questioned this... person, I take it? You can vouch for her abilities?" He turned to Garia. "Forgive me, milady, I but seek confirmation of what sounds so strange I can scarce believe it."

Garia let Parrel do the talking, since they would discount almost anything she said herself.

"Master Siglond, I hold Milady Garia in the highest esteem, and so do all the guilds of Palarand. Recently, with His Majesty present, they voted her to the rank of Guildmistress with but few objections. She is the first woman in history to be permitted to walk within the Guildhall and her honor is well-earned, let me assure you. As you can see, she is but a young lady and therefore her knowledge is not as deep as that of a guildsman who has served his time. However, even so, her knowledge of some matters so far exceeds our own that we listen carefully whenever she offers us instruction. Master Gerdas will confirm that, is that not so?"

Gerdas stepped forward, his face serious. Garia could see that, although he was nominally head of the Questors for the time being, some of his fellows did not consider that he was suited as their leader.

"Indeed, Master Parrel. Her knowledge of the night sky and her description of some of those objects we can see in it completely changed our ideas of astronomy in a single night. To use a telescope to study the planets has been most rewarding."

"A telescope? Whatever is a telescope?" Brovan asked, still off-balance from Parrel's endorsement of Garia.

"A means for magnifying what we may see in the sky, Brovan. It is made from a tube of -"

By the entrance Kendar banged his staff, cutting off the description.

"Her Majesty the Queen!"

"Gentlemen, let us take our seats," Robanar commanded as Terys walked towards them. "I, for one, am hungry." He turned to greet the Queen. "Ah! My dear, these are the Questors who are going to join Garia for her demonstration this afternoon. Gerdas?"

Gerdas made the introductions and they made for their seats at the table. She ended up sitting between Keren and Tarvan and directly facing Gerdas. The other Questors were lined up beside him facing the royal couple. By the look on Robanar's face this was an arrangement he tolerated because of his position, it was soon apparent that he regarded the Questors in general as necessary but troublesome irritants. For their part the Questors were only slightly in awe of their King and Queen but a basic survival instinct kept them from saying anything that would cause their instant removal from the table.

"What is this?" Brovan asked with suspicion, fork raised in his hand.

"What did you think it was, Brovan?" Siglond replied. "It's on the dining table, obviously it's to help you eat your food. Haven't you heard of forks before?"

"No. My mansion is not in the center of the city, as you well know." He sneered. "I don't follow all the fads and fancies the ordinary people occupy their time with, I have better things to do."

Belatedly he noted the glares of Robanar and Terys.

"What, Sire? I can't know of everything that happens in Palarand." He gestured at the others who were all using their forks. "I now see these devices to be most useful, Sire. If you will excuse me." He bent to his plate.

"I know all about forks," Gerdas said gently. "And my mansion is farther away from the city than yours is, Brovan."

"Yes," Brovan said, munching away, "but you've been to the palace lately, haven't you? After that business with Morlan. Where do these come from, Gerdas? Something Tanon picked up on a trading expedition, perhaps?"

Gerdas made a knowing smile. "You could say that, Brovan. On a journey back from Moxgo he discovered Milady Garia, and it was she who gave us the secret of forks. Along with so much other knowledge I don't know where to begin."

Brovan paused and stared at Garia.

"You are not of Palarand born, then, milady?" he asked. "I assumed you were, you sound as one born in the city."

"I did have an accent when I first arrived," she told him. "It's mostly faded over the months since I've been here. As for forks," she shrugged, "we've had them about four, maybe five hundred years where I come from."

Brovan's eyes widened and he asked, "And where might that be, milady?"

Garia had an inspired thought. "Master Brovan, I'm not sure there's any point telling you, is there? What's your geography like? Do you know every country in Alaesia?"

"I regret, milady, that I do not," he admitted. "I may have heard the name spoken, though. Questors correspond widely with their colleagues in distant lands, even if they are not sure exactly where those lands may lie."

"I come from a country called Kansas, Master Brovan, which is not part of Alaesia. I doubt you will have come across it. As for where Kansas is, and how I got from there to here, that is a long story, and I'm not sure it's a good subject to speak of at lunch."

Robanar grunted. "As you say, Garia. Brovan, where she comes from is not important compared to the knowledge, techniques and ideas she brings with her. Leave your speculations for another day, if you will."

"As you command, Your Majesty."

The rest of the meal passed in an uncomfortable atmosphere, but Garia had suffered worse meals before. At least I don't have to challenge any of these to a duel, she thought. Though I doubt any of them would notice if I ran them through with a sword, since none of them seem to live in the real world. No wonder they don't get on with anybody. Still, that Siglond, he seems receptive enough. Perhaps we can work on him, even up the odds a little during the afternoon. Brovan has been the worst of the bunch so far. That other guy, what's his name? Hasn't said a word yet. Perhaps he's just keeping his options open.

The procession wound it's way through the corridors to the laboratory, meeting Margra along the way. Garia had wanted the Healer on hand in case of any accidents. Apart from the remote possibility of shocks they had glass, hot materials and strong acids in the room and it was best to be safe, especially as none of their guests would be familiar with the equipment or its dangers.

In the room the four Questors watched in amazement as the gang all pulled on leather aprons and, in some cases, leather gloves as well. Garia moved towards a blackboard and picked up chalk.

"Sire," she began, "Honored Questors, Guildsmen, welcome. Today's experiments will display to you a little of something entirely new to Anmar." Brovan raised an eyebrow at that remark but Garia continued. "This is a phenomenon which we call electricity. You will already have seen it in nature, as that is what lightning is. However, lightning is extremely violent and dangerous..."

Quickly she went through her prepared lecture, describing the relationship between current flow, magnetism and movement and the conditions under which electricity wanted to flow, then moved on to types of battery. A trip to the bench and Tarvan gave a demonstration of an electromagnet, this time using a coil of lacquered wire wound around a machined slug picking up another slug and dropping it when the circuit was broken. After showing them the reverse effect she then sketched a motor on the board and everybody became extremely interested.

"If you'll all come to this other bench I'll show you how that all works in practice. Tarvan?"

"We're ready, milady."

To the axle of a motor a simple fan had been attached made from a wire frame filled with triangles of parchment. Since the machinery for making reliable screw terminals didn't yet exist they had devised spring clips to connect wires between the various components. Tarvan clipped the final wire to complete the circuit with a stack of cells and the fan began to turn faster and faster.

"Impressive, Garia," Robanar said. "This... motor of yours, it may be used for other purposes than merely turning a fan?"

"Of course, Sire. Obviously what you see here are simple, crude demonstration models, but motors can be made as powerful as you wish, depending on what they are needed for. Today, the fan is just a visible load for the motor."

"And these other motors?"

"The next demonstration, Sire."

She helped Tarvan clip two other motors with fans in parallel with the first one and reapplied the power, watching all three fans spin but slower together than the single one had been.

"Sire, the power is spread between the motors, so they will spin slower. But the point is, you need not think of a circuit as just one battery and one motor. You may use more than one source to power more than one load."

"I begin to understand the utility of these... motors, milady." The speaker was Peklis, who until now had kept his opinions to himself. "Must we then have a pile of batteries such as these wherever we need to use such motors? If that is the case, surely it would be simpler to have a servant turn the axle?"

"If I may, milady," Parrel said. He turned to the Questor. "Master Peklis, where you keep your batteries is surely a question of how long the wires are. If they are long enough, your source of electricity may even be kept in another room."

"As you say, Master Metalsmith," Peklis replied. "I had not thought of that."

Parrel turned to find Garia with one eyebrow raised and the hint of a smile. Maker! I've missed something. He gave her a brief nod and returned the floor to her with a gesture.

"It's not quite as simple as that, gentlemen. For example, there are other ways of making electricity. Do you remember what I said at the start? That relationship between magnetism, electric current and motion? The laws hold exactly. That means that if you supply two of the three, the third one must be produced. That means that the function of a motor can be reversed. If you turn the axle of a motor and there is magnetism nearby, a current will flow. Tarvan, the next demonstration, please."

They had two motors wired back-to-back across the table-top, one with a fan and the other with a hand-crank. Tarvan turned the handle and to everybody's amazement the fan on the other motor began to turn.

Parrel now had a broad grin on his face. "Oh! Milady, I see! You can use a steam engine to make electricity! Or even a wind or watermill."

"Exactly, Master Parrel. In fact, we did just that last night. Over there," she pointed, "is our original prototype steam engine, and to it we have connected a motor, which when used this way is called a generator."

"A steam engine?"

An expected diversion now ensued as the workings of the steam engine had to be explained to the four Questors. Garia let Parrel and Tarvan handle that, although she did notice the Questors each give her several surreptitious glances from time to time.

They just don't know what to make of me. They see a young girl and they try to make me fit into their idea of who and what I should be. Now, is this going to make things better or worse? Am I just giving them all a massive inferiority complex? Wouldn't work that way with the Guildsmen since they were immediately interested in the gadgets. I'm just not so sure how these are going to react.

"And you say you used this device, milady, to make electricity with this motor -"

"Generator."

"Ah, yes, generator. What happened to the electricity you made, then? Is it stored somewhere? Can you store electricity?"

"Not as electricity, no, master. Well, under certain exception conditions you might, but not for most practical purposes. What we have to do is to convert it to some other form that we can store. In this case, it's these batteries here on the trolley. Careful! Those glass containers are full of strong acid."

Everybody stepped away from the trolley.

"Remember what I said about primary and secondary batteries? The stack of cells over there are primary cells, which get used up and that's that. These on the trolley are secondary cells which can be recharged with electricity a considerable number of times before they become useless. What we've done is convert the electricity into a chemical reaction, and when we connect the battery to our load the chemical reaction goes the other way and releases the electricity back."

"That sounds... like a remarkable thing for one such as yourself to know, milady," the chemist Siglond said. "How do you know the reaction can be reversed? I never heard of such a thing. I was not aware that reactions could be reversed."

Garia shrugged. "It's only what I've been taught, master. I don't know the whole story, I'm not old enough to have gotten that deep into the chemistry of batteries, and I wasn't that interested in such things anyway."

"What? I don't understand what you're saying, milady," Brovan complained. "You are apparently capable of all this," he swept his arm to include the whole laboratory, "yet you claim not to understand much of what you do. Do you do all this by rote, then?"

"That's a tricky question to answer, master," Garia said. "Look, all children on my world go to school between the ages of five and... seventeen. Boys and girls. Our world is so complex we have to do that in order to be able to understand it properly. If I wanted to go into the science of batteries in detail, that would require another four years of college or more. But most of us know roughly how they operate, enough to use them properly. We don't have to understand the exact details of the chemical reactions to be able to connect a battery up to a motor, after all."

The four stood gaping at her while everybody else was grinning broadly, even Gerdas.

"I did warn you," he said, "but you refused to listen."

Vanganar said weakly, "You said my world, our world, milady. Do you not come from a far land beyond Alaesia, then, but another world, somewhere else entirely?"

"I do indeed," Garia smiled at him, "from a world somewhat like Anmar which is called Earth. No, I have no idea how I came here, and no, I have no idea if I can get back or not. For now I have pledged myself to your King, as far as you are concerned I am a citizen of Palarand."

Brovan was shaking his head. "Sire, I find this whole story incredible, but believe it I must. The evidence is before me. I would question Milady's knowledge of magnetism in more detail, but that may be left for another day."

Peklis asked, "How can you use these devices without knowing all about them, milady? Surely there is a danger from ignorance of the effects."

"I could ask you the same question, master. Can you make a wheel, put it on a wagon? Make plates for your table or pots for your stove? How about making a sword? Do you know how to beat and temper the metal properly? No, I thought not. Using electricity is just the same. When Parrel and the other guildsmen begin making electric items all the dangerous parts will be safely hidden inside wood or metal enclosures. To get the electricity to your rooms you'll just have sockets mounted on the walls. It will become very easy, I can assure you."

"As you say, milady. When looked at in that light..." Peklis became thoughtful.

"Milady," Siglond asked, "If I understand your world, you have these... steam engines, then, outside every dwelling, making electricity for the use of those inside? That would seem to involve a lot of fuel, and water, and smoke and noise."

Garia smiled at him. "You misunderstand, master. Come back to the table a moment."

Everyone gathered round the experiments. "Here," she said, "we have a generator operated by a crank connected by two wires to a motor with a fan, right? So, why not just take all the electrical parts away and simply connect a rod between crank and fan?"

Siglond nodded. "I wondered that, milady. But, for the purposes of the experiment, it enabled you to show us that it was possible to make electricity by using some kind of mechanical movement such as a wind mill."

"That's true. What you haven't considered so far is, how many motors can I connect together and drive from one generator? Many. Is it possible to have more than one generator in a single circuit? Yes, if the design is careful enough. But, there's another thing you have to think about. How long can these wires be? The width of a room? To another building? To another city?"

That even managed to shock Robanar. "You intend, milady, to place your generators elsewhere, and run wires to wherever it is required?"

"Exactly so, Sire. Why spend time and effort carrying fuel and water all the way here when you can just string wires - which aren't going to move, once you have placed them - and let the electricity make it's own way here?"

Her eyes twinkled as she moved on the the next blockbuster. "There's something else, Sire. Tarvan, the buzzer if you please."

Tarvan set the wooden plaque on which the solenoid was mounted in the middle of the table and connected it up to the batteries.

"This is just a solenoid exactly like those we used at the beginning," she explained. "Only, we've arranged the circuit so that when this piece is pulled towards the end it breaks the circuit. Watch- and listen - to what happens when I complete the circuit using this switch."

Buzz! Everybody jumped at the loud sound.

"If you run wires from place to place," she told them, "then you can use this as a signaling device. Or how about this? Tarvan, the bell."

Once the next item had been connected she said, "This is exactly like the buzzer, but we've added a small bell which will be struck every time the circuit is made." A loud ring made them all jump again. "Ideal for, say, an alarm in the palace. You could have these mounted all over and all connected together so they rang if there was a fire or some other problem."

She stood back and looked at her audience to see every man furiously thinking. The four Questors were all wide-eyed, obviously shocked by the revelations they had seen so far. Whatever they had expected when they arrived at the palace, nothing had prepared them for this.

"Sire," she said, "I think we'd better have a break now. Jenet and Bursila will bring pel to us shortly, which will give everyone a chance to take in all they've seen so far."

Brovan looked at her in amazement. "There is more, milady?"

"You have no idea, Master Brovan. No idea at all. Fortunately, there's only a couple more items this afternoon. I wouldn't want to confuse you too much today."

"You're very considerate, Garia," Robanar said dryly.

While they were drinking their pel Vanganar said to her, "This is all very interesting, milady, but I'm not entirely sure why I was asked to come. This is not my field of inquiry at all."

"So far, master, I'd have to agree with you," she replied. "But you'll see why you have been invited once we get going again. Then you'll know why you'll have need to understand how to make your own electricity."

"As you wish, milady."

Tarvan brought out the curious glass vessels Hurdin had made for her together with a jug of water.

"This is just water fresh from the palace kitchens," she said. "Master Vanganar, will you sample it to prove that is it just that?"

He dipped a finger in and tasted. "As you say, milady."

"Now, let's fill this strange-shaped vessel up." She poured water into the U-shaped container until it was about three-quarters full. "Right. So, let's see what happens when I put wires into the water. You'll remember, most things will conduct electricity to a certain extent."

She put wire, each with a long bent-up section, into each side of the vessel and Tarvan connected the battery. Immediately fizzing erupted from both wires.

Vanganar asked, "What's happening, milady? How is that being done?"

"As the current passes through the water it breaks the water down. Water consists of two gases which bind together. Under certain circumstances, if you put enough energy in, you can break them apart again."

"Why don't they combine again immediately, milady?"

"Because one gas is coming out each side," she explained. "That's why this vessel is this funny shape. Okay, let's move on to the next stage."

"Wait a moment, milady," Peklis said. "Do you tell us that water is made of the same substance as the air? That flies in the face of all reason."

"The air is made of a number of different gases, master, one of which is also part of water. The other gas has interesting properties. Let me show you."

She took a glass tube and inserted it so it covered the end of one of the wires.

"A taper, Tarvan." She tried lighting the gas with no result. "I wasn't sure which way round this would happen. Let's try the other side." This time, the gas lit with a flickering blue flame. "That gas is called Hydrogen. The gas on the other side is called Oxygen."

"It will not burn, milady?"

"Oxygen is the gas which makes everything else burn, Master Peklis. That is what the definition of burning is, the combination of a fuel, such as this gas, with oxygen."

The next experiment used the Y-shaped tube, in which Garia recombined the gases given off and lit them to make water again. A cold piece of iron held above the flame collected water droplets which a wondering Vanganar confirmed tasted like water.

"Okay. The next display is slightly different. I'm showing you all this because it can be very useful, but also because there's a danger here you'll need to be aware of. Tarvan, bring up the copper sulfate." That was what she called it but she knew her listeners heard the local name for the liquid.

Into the glass dish containing a dark blue solution she briefly placed two electrodes of freshly polished iron. When she removed them one had turned the bright red of copper.

"This is called electro-plating. The current takes the copper out of the solution and plates it onto whatever metal the electrodes are made of. You should be aware that, while there are legitimate uses for such a process, and the metalsmiths will certainly be making use of it, unscrupulous people can also use it to make fake goods that look like copper."

"May I look at that, Guildmistress?" Parrel asked.

Tarvan dried the metal with a cloth and handed it over. Parrel whipped out a magnifying glass and took the electrode to a window to examine it.

"I see what you mean, milady," Robanar said. "If it is possible to make lead, say, look like copper, then our smiths must make certain to carefully examine each piece that comes their way."

"It's worse than that, Sire. Much worse. Copper isn't the only metal you can plate using electricity. You can plate most metals if you get them into a solution like this. That includes silver... and gold."

Robanar looked somewhat startled. "Milady, do you aim at my treasury?"

"No, Sire," she smiled at him. "I have no need to do anything like that. But others might, in time."

"Aside from any possible illegal use," Peklis ventured, "is there any benefit to us from this method?"

"You can use it to pull purified metals from solution," Garia told him. "It might even allow you to discover new metals. You'll have to do some experiments, I've only a vague idea how that all worked."

"As you say, milady. I, for one, can't wait to get back to my own workshop!"

Parrel returned, handing the electrode to Tarvan with a nod. "We'll certainly be making use of this technique, Guildmistress. I can think of a number of problems it might solve for us."

Garia smiled an acknowledgment at Parrel. "My final demonstration is for you, Guildmaster Parrel. It should prove interesting to everyone else as well, and will show the power that electricity can bring. Tarvan, the trolley, if you please."

The lead-acid cells on the trolley had been linked with thick ropes of copper and similar ropes now led up to the bench top. Tarvan held one rope against the copper-plated metal sample and Garia gingerly touched the other rope to the center of the plate. There was a flash and a bang and everybody jumped backwards. A satisfied Garia looked down at the plate and up at Parrel.

"Look at your plate now, Guildmaster."

"Why, there's melted copper on it!" he breathed. "Does the electricity get that hot?"

"It can do. It depends on the size of the batteries or the generator involved. What you've just seen is that we can make a spark which is hot enough to melt copper. I can assure you all that it is possible to make that spark hot enough to melt steel. Do that under controlled conditions and you can use electricity to weld pieces of steel together. You can make it so that the join is almost invisible."

Parrel shook his head and turned to the four astonished Questors. "Didn't I tell you that I always learned something new every time I met Milady Garia? You have today seen the proof."

Siglond stared at Garia. "Milady, what are you?"

"Just an average person of my age, Master Siglond. On Earth, I'm definitely nothing special. I don't think, in terms of my intelligence, that I'm particularly special here either. I've just had a better education, is all."

"Your world," Peklis said, "how did you manage to discover all this incredible knowledge?"

"The hard way, Master Peklis. What you have seen today probably took us around two hundred years to puzzle out. I didn't see why Anmar had to go through all that trouble and get into all the problems we had along the way."

"There is more, milady?"

Garia gave a fierce grin. "Oh, yes, Master Brovan. Much more. So much more that some is going to be dangerous to you if not handled carefully. I can forewarn you of some of the dangers but some of what I know will only be released with the full and explicit approval of His Majesty." She turned and bowed towards Robanar.

"That is why," the King said, "Milady Garia lives with us in the palace, and has been adopted by us. We seek to protect her against others who would take her knowledge, possibly by violent means. Know that there have been at least two attempts to kidnap her already."

The Questors all looked startled at that statement. It hadn't occurred to any of them that the situation might have political implications. Brovan regarded Garia thoughtfully.

"Sire," he said eventually, "You prove that Palarand has a wise King. I would not have considered that Milady Garia would have been in any danger. It is evident from what we have all witnessed here today that we must bow before her extensive knowledge as the Guildsmen of Palarand have done. Gerdas was right, Sire. He has suggested that Milady Garia attend our conclave when we meet to choose a successor to Morlan." Brovan gave a smile of anticipation. "In some ways it will be interesting to see the looks on my colleagues' faces when she faces us with her first lecture." The smile faded. "That will be a most fraught meeting, Sire. Might we request your own presence at the conclave? I fear violence that night if there is not a superior authority in attendance with us."

Robanar considered the idea. "If this conclave is to choose the next Royal Questor then I certainly have reason to be present, do I not? I am not so sure about the additional presence of Milady Garia, though. Both she and I will have additional responsibilities by then, and, as you may know, we leave in three weeks for the north. Which day is set for the meeting?"

"Twelve days from today, Sire."

"Very well. I will consult with Kendar and determine if either myself or Milady Garia may attend."

"That is all we ask, Sire."

"Milady?" Robanar turned to Garia. "I gather you have completed your demonstrations for today?"

"I have, Sire."

"Then, let us find somewhere more comfortable to sit down and talk in more detail about what we have all witnessed this afternoon. Master Tarvan."

"Sire?"

"My thanks for your assistance today. Milady Garia has chosen an able assistant."

"Thank you, Sire."

~o~O~o~

"Come in."

The door to Garia's sitting room opened and Feteran stepped cautiously into the room.

"You wished to see me, milady?"

"I did. I'm sorry to call so late and at such short notice but Merizel and I have been counting the days until we go north and we realized that we have overlooked some essential decisions. Did I interrupt anything? I have not kept you from some task or... I don't even know if you have a family. Are you married?"

Feteran gave Garia a rueful smile. "Regrettably not yet, milady. My time has been well taken up with my duties in the Guard, even more so since you arrived at the palace. No, milady, I was just sitting quietly with some friends and a jug of ale, you have not disturbed much tonight."

"I'm pleased to hear that. Now," she became serious, "the situation is this. In a few days I will shortly come of age, as you know. Because no-one knows how to work out exactly how old I am, I'm having the ceremony the same day as Prince Keren."

Feteran nodded. "Yes, milady. That much is common knowledge in the guard. That will be the same day that Captain Bleskin retires and Captain Merek assumes full control of the guard."

"As you say. Now, as part of the coming of age business I become legally responsible for my holdings and all the property and every person associated with the Barony of Blackstone. As a baroness in my own right I'll be entitled to assemble my own bodyguard and that will be especially important in my case, in view of recent events."

"As you say, milady."

"The King therefore has given me leave to select a small number of trained men from the Palace Guard, maybe eight or so, to form the backbone of my own troops. If you agree, and the King and the Captains approve your appointment, then I would like you to -"

Feteran instantly fell to one knee. "Milady, I would be most honored."

Garia put her hands on her hips and tilted her head to look at Feteran. "I hadn't finished yet, Feteran. I want you to be the commander of my troops. I need someone to help me select the others who will form my guard. Will you do me the honor of commanding my men-at-arms?"

Feteran looked at Garia, astonished. She could see that moisture was beginning to form in his eyes, the emotion was that strong.

"Milady, I would be honored to command your men-at-arms." He gave a small smile. "The King expects me to follow you, milady, he has as much as said so. Captain Merek knows that you will make the right choices, milady, and so will not regret losing me. And, as for my father, he will be delighted."

It was Garia's turn to be astonished. "Bleskin is your father? That just never occurred to me."

"Milady, it is true. I am the oldest of his five sons and I followed my father into his chosen profession. He will be pleased that you will have someone he trusts beside you as you begin your rule."

"Rise, please, Feteran. Tomorrow you and I can begin to select the others who will join your small band. There's a lot to organize, given the time available. Actually, first thing after we finish the Tai Chi you should go along to the Wardrobe and find a seamstress called Rosilda -"

"I know Rosilda, milady."

"Good. She will measure you up ready for a uniform in the new Blackstone colors. I assume the transfer will happen immediately after my ceremony? This is all new to me, of course."

"And to me, milady. Do not concern yourself, I will make sure we both understand what will happen when the time comes."

Garia smiled at him. "Thank you, Feteran. That's exactly the kind of help I need at the moment."

"This is an exceptional honor, milady. I will make an oath before you now that you can absolutely rely on my trust." Feteran was almost overwhelmed by what Garia had offered him. "If I had been wearing my sword, milady, I would already have placed it at your feet."

She raised an eyebrow. "And what would the King say? You are sworn to him, not me! When the time comes, Feteran, I will receive your sword with due honor."

"As you say, milady. I am still presently the King's man." He smiled at her. "But not for long. Now, if you might excuse me, milady, the evening grows late and you have given me much to consider."

"Of course, Feteran." She grinned at him as he turned. "Even I know a man needs his jug of ale occasionally."

up
413 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you, Penny!

I have been anxiously awaiting the next chapter of Garia's adventures, just as I always do, and this story continues to enchant and entertain. You are an exceptionally talented writer, and I truly believe this story could easily be made into a very popular series of books if a publisher could be persuaded to read it.

Now I have to wait once more for the next chapter, but that's okay. I already know it's going to be worth waiting for.

*hugs*

Randalynn

Good storey

Just wanted to say thanks for the story so far. I really look forward to each chapter. It's a fun, entertaining read.
I like how she turns her knowledge into demonstrations and more or less says: Here is what I know, here are some things you may do with it. Go now and find out more and build useful things.

----------
Jenna

Seems she managed to impress

Seems she managed to impress the questors there a little. Hope they realise that it's education that she has, not some unique brilliance, and that others of her age and of both sexes can gain that, and that the same spirit of making things happen, of pragmatism and interest in how the world works can be present in a far larger population than they currently comprise of.

Also, I'm wondering about when the first experiment really gone wrong will happen. Things like an overpressured water tank in the steam engine experiments, blowing glass fragments all over the room when lighting the hydrogen etc. They are bound to happen eventually, and as she and the crafters involved are doing forerunner experiments, they are the most likely people for something bad to happen to.

Looking forward

To the next episode. Glad to see that Feteran is to be Garia's Guard Commander. My guess is that Rosilda will be asked to be her Mistress of the Household/Wardrobe or something along those lines.

Well well well

I love the progression, and your choice of her guard captain while obvious is very good, the questors conclave should be a tumultuous event, and cause quite a few grey hairs to sprout from learned heads. I also am really waiting for a description of her colors and devise/shield? well done, and worth the wait, but leaves me longing for more already. You may let her try throwing underhanded for a knife, as it is a more natural motion that I have taught to some few ladies in times past, also a main gauche or stiletto pointed, hilted knife is a very good close in weapon for a woman that can be used in combination with other weapons such as swords, almost a short version of what she is already practicing with. The master armorer could also cap with steel the ends of a staff to provide the long lasting wear for an effective quarter staff, a very good tool for a traveler. In all respects a very good chapter!

Draflow

What would have been more fun

... is if she could've created a Jacob's ladder or a plasma ball just to set the right Frankensteinian atmosphere :)

There is of course the demonstration of static electricity using a charged sphere she could have done.

Can't beat the classics.

Or she could've put them all in a series circuit with a hand cranked generator like my middle school shop teacher did. Boring as I had already started studying electricity four years before entering middle school.

The major thunderbolt so to speak in all this will be her social impact I think for woman's roles in this society. Once women see that one of their own can be capable of so many things, there will be a upwelling of change that the men will be caught off guard enough that they may not organize resistance to such change and women may very well get their rightful rights so much sooner.

Oh and for those questors, what a re-Volt-ing development this all must be :)

Kim

She has to teach one more thing about electricity

... and that is the concept of AC current for efficient long distance transmission of power. Westinghouse won that battle whereas Edison did not. So the concept of transformers and a crude power system can be formed.

OH, and at least Garia did not have to roast an elephant ( not that they have any, maybe one of those draft animals ) to demonstrate electricity's power :)

Kim

The real battle

Was between Tesla (AC) and Edison (DC). Edison had a personal hatred of Tesla which was returned in kind by Tesla. Westinghouse was smart enough to recognize the financial advantages of backing Tesla and they worked hard to support him. After losing the DC/AC battle, Edison made it an overriding goal of his to destroy Tesla. Unfortunately he succeeded all too well. When Tesla died destitute the Federal government stepped in and took possession of all his papers. Who knows what other ideas he had that were never properly examined.

In case you are wondering, I just saw an episode of NOVA on PBS that dealt with the life and genius of Tesla.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

In the valley of the blind ...

In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

I love this story. It follows a well worn theme but it's done with a thread of originality and insight that illustrates exquisitely how a primitive society can be affected by the sudden arrival of advanced technology.

The reverse side of the 'First Directive' coin.

The story also explores the social equations and neatly integrates the social consequences with the technical developments.

Good on yer! Penny.

XZXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

SEE...

Another addition to one of my very favorite stories!! Thanks Penny, you've made my day!

Common Sense

Either Garia has been blessed with an uncommonly large dose of common sense or she has received excellent advice and counseling. Or perhaps she had the sense (hardly common) to seek out excellent guidence. The matter of the questors was partly luck, but mostly good planning. Selecting her Guard Commander showed sense AND wisdom.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

thanks.....

Tanya Allan's picture

Penny,

I look forward to each chapter of this series more than I can express. I don't get a lot of time for reading, but as soon as I see a chapter appear in the list, I have to drop everything and read it.

I just want to encourage you. This book is amazing and you really should consider publishing it when complete. You've researched the subject matter, you've created a wonderful world full of believable, three dimensional characters, most of whom we can visualise, in such a brilliant setting.

I love the bigotry, prejudice and realistic obnoxious attitudes you have given some of the characters. I think we have all known men and women like them. Don't you just love to see them taken down a peg or two?

While Garia just tootles along being bright and cheerful, presenting this world with someone, with whom they have no idea how to deal.

I LOVE it.

My only complaint is that I have always to read the previous chapter again before the current one because I'm a forgetful old biddy and can't ever remember what the hell happened before.

You have inspired me to try something along vaguely similar lines. You've certainly delivered a template of excellence that will be hard to match.

Thanks

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Somewhere Else Entirely -48-

She will need quite a few to go with her that knows anything about geology and machines to take advantae of her holdings

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Seems to me...

That Garia isn't only learning how to be a girl, but a lady.

Maggie

Electrickery!

Well, it certainly looks as though Gary paid attention in his physics classes before the tumultuous events that lead to him flipping genders and being raised to the nobility! Obviously as time goes by, they'll manage to make their copper wires thinner so they can make smaller devices. But not bad going for an initial demonstration - dry and wet cells, a dynamo / generator, a motor, a solenoid powering a buzzer and a bell, electroplating, arc welding...

With all the innovations Garia's introducing, they'll soon be able to machine coinage, so all coins of a certain type will have a set weight within very fine limits. That way, a counterfeit electroplated coin would be identifiable by its different weight. But they've got a few years before that could become an issue, as they've still got to refine and scale up the process of electroplating itself.

Another bunch of surprised locals realising that yes, she does come from somewhere else entirely. The security question could be another reason to consider eventually abandoning the usual protocol in terms of relationships... well, one mutual relationship in particular :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Snepless in Seattle

terrynaut's picture

This was a nice, relaxing read. I needed that today.

I like how the story's progressing. I love the demonstration of those pesky trained electrons.

The only thing missing to make this chapter perfect was Snep. Oh! And a little romance.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

A story with plot and substance.

You keep surprising me with the new twists of this tale and I find it most agreeable. Garia seems to be growing into her own and I wonder where her future lies.

There are just so many stories that I no longer have any interest in, but this and two or three others never fail to capture my imagination.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

I think

Garia needs to be extra careful at the upcoming enclave. There is no doubt she has made a lot of friends, but she has also upset a lot of people and there may be a whole bunch of trouble there, or maybe they will be smarter and the trail to Blackstone is going to be very, very dangerous. The demonstrations were very well worked out. Nice job!

Dearest Readers!

Thank you ever so much for all your kind comments!

I'm not going to reply individually this time, because I can't spend too much time on-line at the moment (my tea awaits!). Just a few notes on what has been and what may be to come:

This chapter could have been split into two, or possibly even three, but I didn't want to bore some of you with pages of school physics. I'm trying to keep in mind that I have to move the story along and really a lot of what happened above is just 'decorative narrative' but there are certain things which had to happen.

The next chapter is "A Day of Ceremonies" and you'll find out all about the color scheme and device, etc. I'm afraid you might think them to be uncomplicated but Garia has reasons, as ever, for her choices! Naturally, since there will also be a parade, Snep will be involved.

You did realize this is a story about Garia and not Snep, didn't you?

Beyond that, I'm anxious to get our heroine out of the palace and northward bound. Once across the Sirrel we'll enjoy more intrigue, fights, romance (of course) and at least one battle. We'll meet old friends (and enemies) and learn about the more rural parts of Palarand.

Before all that can happen Garia has to address the Questors (not fun, as some of you may have guessed) and finish collecting her entourage about her.

I'm pleased that you are still all enjoying this story. I'm amazed that I've managed to keep it going for so long at approximately the same rate and, I hope, the same quality. In terms of how far we are... I'd guess, now, about halfway. However, seeing as how I originally thought it would be finished by now, it's really anyone's guess.

There are other factors in my life affecting production of this epic. I'm still going through a major (computer) operating system migration plus upgrade; my health just lately hasn't been top notch; there are jobs to do inside and outside the house (it's spring, after all) and my financial affairs are about to get interesting, as I may be able to draw a pension in a few months - but I don't know yet how much it will be or how easy it will be for us to live on that income. Meh.

Still, I must carry on writing my stories. I owe my readers that much. Thank you for reading, and I hope that you will find the rest of the story just as enjoyable. I can't wait to find out myself!

Penny

The great debate ...

Not the Questors, but how much I should blame Penny for having lost so much sleep. ;-)

I finally have time and energy to sit and catch up on a number of stories I've missed. Yesterday I noticed Penny's "Somewhere Else Entirely." I scanned the first few paragraphs of this latest part, decided it was worth starting at the beginning, and found myself *still* reading at 10PM!

Very nice work, Penny. I very much enjoy the way you show Garia's struggles with who she is, and the situation she's in, as well as a *thoughtful* supporting cast with Robanar, Terys, and so many more -- including those opposing Garia -- trying to copy with the implications of so much new knowledge.

I'll admit to some trepidation about Garia's "Connecticut Yankee," but you're managing the situation well.

And then there's the mysterious goings on in Yod ...

I look forward to your next installment.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Arrg! lost it

In any case, what was I typing before it went south?

One, didn't the questors seem a pompous lot? Though several seemed to get a clue after the demonstrations.

I still worry she is a target of kidnappers or assassins if she can't be captured.

We know of rumors of one or more other strangers in a strange land. One is reputed to be the brains behind Yod's sudden military improvements and success.

But is her or she willing, a dupe, insane from the transference from Earth? A potential ally if freed or a threat?

Was Garia supposed to ever be in Parland, to be transported into a female body?

We have the upcoming trip to her lands. We also have her and the Prioce's coming of age cerimony.

Though she is not of a royal line or from another kingdom as custom has *decreed*, can she or Kerin ever find a satisfactory life in the armss of another?

True I see hints of her *secretary*, the sweet Marizel becoming closer to the prince and she is of minor noble birth. But is she of another kingdom as custom requires of a mate to the heir to the throne and would she risk becoming a wedge between the prince and her dear friend Garia?

It would take a women of immense self confidence and tolerance to marry Kerin knowing his close *working relationship* with the exotic Garia. Garia the single most valuable resource Parland has and in a way fast becoming a power behind the throne.

And learning the archer/guard recrute was a poacher might imply not is all sunshine and lollypops in Parland. A persistant poverty problem? A less than decent lower level noble impoverishing his/her lands?

Hum?

A pleasure to read... as always.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. now get well and hire an handyman to do all that stuff.

John in Wauwatosa

As always a pleasure to read.

LibraryGeek's picture

As always a pleasure to read. And I become more aware of how my learning disabilities impacted my education, given how much Garia knows, and how reasonable it is that she had learned these things.

This is a very good story, and I enjoy reading it. Thank you for writing this, and I hope that it continues to be something you enjoy writing. And it's so clean a copy, I can't recall seeing any errors, spelling or grammatical, in any of the installments to date, you truly are a gifted writer.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Errors and Omissions Excepted

Actually, there are one or two bludners if the reader is anal-retentive enough to track carefully through everything... which, regrettably, the author isn't.

I try very hard not to allow my occasional spelling mistakes through. These are nearly always caused by skipping letters while typing or by transposing pairs of letters. Most get caught by the spell-checker but examples like 'note' -> 'not' won't as they are both legal.

No, my biggest problem is remembering who is who, when things have happened and when things are supposed to happen :) Been caught out a couple times already. Anmar also has some ground rules which I haven't followed as closely as I might have.

Education is a very variable thing. No two people get the same one, even if they sit side by side with each other all through school and college. A lot depends on what interests you personally, of course, but as much depends on your parents attitudes, home life, social situation and so on. I've tried to slightly load the dice by making Gary the son of a bookshop owner with an uncle who runs a farm. Other than that I've tried to make him as average as possible.

Do I enjoy writing it? Heck yes! Probably almost as much as people enjoy reading it.

Thanks for your comment.

Penny

We've Always Done It This Way

joannebarbarella's picture

A friend of mine has recently joined another company and is struggling with the reluctance of other managers to try new methods.

Her boss is receptive and eager to expand the company but constrained by the need to keep happy some who have worked for him for years. Their hearts may be good but their minds are closed.

At least Garia can give concrete demonstrations of new technological ideas. It's not always as easy with abstract ideas.

The story continues to enthrall, not least because she is a natural manager and is steadily winning over hearts and minds,

Joanne

A tricky one

When I thought up this project I made a conscious decision to make Anmar free of (most) religion and superstition. This was to avoid having to spend time explaining it all, but a useful (and completely unintended) side-effect has been to make it impossible for any of Garia's detractors to accuse her of 'witchcraft' or similar. I am thoroughly grateful I made that decision as it has made the task of plotting this story so much more straightforward.

I suspect any similar person dumped into Europe or America in the 16th-17th centuries wouldn't have lasted very long, once they started demonstrating phenomena the locals couldn't easily accept. One tends to forget the mindset everyone had back then.

Of course, a similar thing exists now, only different. Try to do some unorthodox science and see how far you can get. People's minds can be just as closed in the 21st century.

Penny

It need not be uniform

... that all of Anmar be free of superstitious taint, like Palarand is. I suspect, like here, to have primitive cultures or subcultures who are extremely superstitious. Goddess knows in the US and the Middle East there are loads of examples, let alone obvious ones like those in Amazon or parts of New Guinea.

Kim

cool stuff!

wonderful!

DogSig.png

Surprise

More surprises please. Can’t wait for the next one.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Proof in the pudding

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia getting the evil eye from those attending the demonstration was soon alleviated by making the presentation, and proving she was more than a young girl.

She gave each something to chew on that pertained to their particular field, and hopefully showed them that each field overlaps in some major or minor way.

Brovan was as skeptical about Garia abilities, or knowledge, as others had, have, been. While he may not be totally over being upstaged by a young GIRL, he has realized she's shown him something which he knew about. And she did it in a way that did not embarrass or humiliate him. Brovan realized the problem she would cause if attending the conclave, but realized her knowledge is important to all the Questors.

She could not have chosen a better commander than Feteran, because by his reaction he showed he hoped to be part of the Blackstone guard. Were it possible, Scott should be asked to be part of her guard, even though he has not had all the necessary training. The two have developed a bond that would allow Scott have a chance to live differently than he had. And experience times which are beginning to get very excited.

Others have feelings too.

Feteran

Will prove to be a very wise choice, if things get dicey...

After rereading this chapter

After rereading this chapter I noticed in your description of running the three motors that it wasn't entirely accurate. With the 3 motors hooked in parallel the motors wouldn't slow down unless the load was sufficient enough to lower the applied voltage. When they are hooked in series the
total voltage is then spread equally amongst all the loads providing the resistance is all the same which would make all 3 motors run slower since the voltage to each would be a third of the total voltage applied.