Sweet Dreams-31 The first cut is the Deepest.

Printer-friendly version

Sweet Dreams-31 The First Cut is the Deepest.

Chapter 31

I think there’s something psychosomatic about losing it when people tell you that you’re not the freaky person you think you are but the socially acceptable version of it.

I was always the skinny punk guy that dressed like he was this throwback to Boy George or David Bowie or more to date Adam Lambert. It was a good defense even in my neighborhood. Dress like that, get seen either as a gothy punker freak or being gay or even gayer than most and people just leave you alone. Except for the die hard haters and in my neighborhood the predator kids. You learned either to fight, or really how to run.

And I was sort of good with being Billy Hunter the freak. Then Hunter Williams…who was still sort of a freak but more of there’s a reason why I’m such a freak and that’s because I’m transgendered.

Then this, finding out like just ten minutes ago that I’ve actually always been a girl, well technically intersexed but in a lot of the most important ways. I’ve always been a girl.

And like I said there’s something psychosomatic about the whole thing because I’m hanging onto Jennifer and I’m bawling like they told me that I’ve got cancer instead of that I’m no where near the freak I thought that I was.

Because I’m okay.

Okay…not okay but there’s that whole what the fuck is wrong with me answered and that’s a big thing.

And my friends haven’t abandoned me, and my family, my new…no…my real family hasn’t freaked out and left me to twist in the wind.

My real family and I look up at then for a minute from Jen’s shoulder and I’m full on girly crying my eyes out and I’m sort of reaching for them and April’s there in a flash hugging me and actually doing that croon/coo thing that real moms do with their kids.

“Oh…Oh…It’s okay Hunter we’re here, it’s going to be alright we’ve got you…”

“Y..y..you’re not leavin…”

“Of course we’re not, we love you honey.”

“Y’lubb me?”

“Of course we do. All of us right?”

There’s nods and Alex rubs my back smiling his Alex smile and saying. “In Love with you.”

Then there’s Adam. He looks at me, hands in his pockets. “Yes well…I guess you’ll do, I mean if I’m putting up with all this and sending you to law school then well…I’ll be watching your marks you know.”

He tenses and stares at me. “I’m going for coffees.”

I…He…

(Sniffle.) “I could go for a coffee.”

He looks at me and there’s that just Adam look and he nods to all of us before walking out. Alex is still rubbing my back but I felt his fingers curl there like he was going to make a fist. “I swear…can’t he just…”

I reach back to his arm and pull it to me. “Alex he just did, I get what he means it’s different that what he said.”

“You got to say it sometime though Hunter…sometimes you have to tell people that you love them.”

“I know…since you I know…but it takes time Alex, it’ll take him time.”

Alex gives me this stormy frowny skeptical look of his that just says “Yeah sure.” If he was a cat his ears’d be flat.

I lean over and back and kiss him and it’s the same but different? Better? I’m kissing my Boyfriend and that’s actually the way it’s supposed to be. Like I said psychosomatic right, just knowing the truth about myself at least medically is changing the way that I feel.

It’s not really a bad change though. I swear there’s this chunk of me still letting out this sigh of relief.

I break the kiss and try and get more comfortable and notice Cindy still sort of looking at Jen. Then Cindy sort of notices me noticing and she slips her hands into her back pockets and sort of shifts so she’s not anymore. She does look at me and I sort of give her a questioning head tilt. She sort of looks at Jen her shoulders hunch and she bites her lips when she’s looking at me.

Translation…God yes I want to but I’m scared and I haven’t yet.

I look at April. “So….”

“So?”

“So how’d you guys know?”

“Oh, well Adam had some of his people check in with the school and got your transcripts and then he had them traced back to your old school. No one really knew who you where over the phone so he sent people to ask around directly and we found out about William.”

“But you didn’t turn me in?”

“As far as we knew you were a boy, you were posing as a girl and you were doing it really well but we’d thought that you and Alex were in the closet with the whole gay relationship the two of you were having.”

“Oh…” Damn I thought that I had covered my tracks better.

“We were keeping quiet because if Alex was going to be in the closet with you then Adam didn’t want to “out” the both of you because it’d mess up Alex’s image and people don’t give football scholarships to gay players.”

“Well there’s gay athlete’s in college.”

“But they don’t get football scholarships.”

Alex huff’s. “Sounds like dad.”

I ease into him but pull his arms around me. “Scholarships are big deals Alex, your dad was right to be worried.” I hold on to his arms but look at him over my shoulder. I could’ve cost him his scholarship…

He looks at me. “Don’t care, I don’t care if I’m bagging groceries and living in a trailer Hunter, just as long as I’ve got you.”

I really don’t want anything resembling my life the way it was overlapping into his. I spent enough years of my life living in hell. I never want that for him. I wouldn’t wish what my life was on my worst enemy.

“I know you would Alex but I really, really don’t want to go there.”

He looks at me in my eyes and there’s that thing that’s us there. I don’t know how he gets it, gets me without living it but he does in his own way.

That, that’s an ow…my heart thing.

When you meet someone, that someone the best part of it isn’t the yay happy shiny stuff, it’s not the racing rush of being together intimacy. It’s to be able to look into the eyes of the person that gives you all of the above but is also to just be able to look you in the eyes and stare down all your inner demons and then see you…see you scars and all and not love you in spite of them but loves you because of them.

Alex does this for me.

I can look into those soulful dark brown eyes of his and there’s a lifetime of us there waiting, there’s a thousands words we never need to say and…

I fall in love just a tiny bit more each time…

That look just leads to him and I just pressing our foreheads together and staying like that just staring for a few minutes and then kissing until I hear coughing and smell coffee.

I look at Adam who’s passing out coffees and talking to April. “So we’re past who figured what out then?”

“Yeah, I thought I did a better job.”

He frowns a bit. “You did, I had to send people to actually go around to your old school and dig around until we got to someone that’s be able to tell us something. You never took any photos in any of the yearbook things or the student papers events. People didn’t really even know you that well Hunter you were like a ghost.”

“I was…I was sort of a part time student between moving around or recovering.”

“Recovering?” Jen and April ask. I notice this look in Adams eyes that says he knows and Alex tenses up.

“The Step-shit or my Mom…either one…I got to be the excuse for everything wrong in the universe and the punching bag…when they were drying out.”

I can’t help the shivers that come up with just the thoughts of all of it. I hold my coffee with both hands to keep my hands from shaking and Alex… (Choke…yay…) wraps his arms around me from behind and he gives me this so tender make it better kiss on the back of my neck and…

He’s my armor…He’s holding me and keeping those bad flashbacks from grabbing me…and that getting really protected…just…Ow…ow…ow…god I don’t deserve him my heart.

He whispers into my neck and my hair…. “I’ve got you…never again…you’re safe Hunter.”

Does he have any idea what safe means to people like me? Abused, hurt, beaten…the raped or molested… (Yay-choke-sob.)

To be held like I have value. His arms tighten around me. Alex could squeeze me to bruising and it’d still never be wrong…I’ll never say let me go.

To have someone just actually stop that pain before it jumps you.

It’s only a minute this funk, like he caught me before I went there. But the others noticed, the girls are upset but Adam…he has this look like he gets it too.

He takes a drink and sits. “I’m serious about the marks Hunter.”

“You are?”

“Yes. I had figured since word about Alex was going to get out that he’d not be getting a football scholarship into law school but you, you have excellent marks. And you’re smart and can think on the go. I want to see how far you can go.”

“I don’t know what to say?”

“Oh that’ll come out in our contract.”

“Contract?”

Alex lifts his head. “Dad…” kind of defensive and warningly.

“Yes, I’ll pay for your college not counting any scholarships and such you earn and in return you’ll work for my law firm.”

“Dad!” Alex stares at him. “You can’t pressure Hunter like that, just back off.”

“Well son since you’re not going or interested in law school then I want at least one of the family practicing.”

“I don’t want to be a lawyer, I never wanted to be a lawyer, hell I never wanted to play football.”

“Football will lead you into more than the scholarships Alex, people remember games for a long time especially when you do good in it, it opens doors. But you won’t need that if all you want to do is brood and doodle.”

“Fuck you!”

“Oh nice response maybe you’ll find that the kind of arguing that they do in skid row then.”

“I don ’t care.”

“Obviously, you take off the and see where that leaves you and her.”

The threat is there right under the surface. My well being is still pretty dependent on Alex being something Adam approves of. April stands up looking scared but passed. “Adam!”

Alex looks like he’s going to punch his dad.

And I sit up onto my knees in bed between the three of them. “Enough! Just enough! Fuck!”

I look at the three of them.

“Look Adam, I’m more than happy to take you up on your offer but after I look at our contract. Alex, it’s headhunting and your father is just getting ahead of the game. He also wants to keep his part of what he’s worked for in the family…” I kiss Alex and stoke his face.

I move back to look at Adam. “Your son is a talented artist, he’s damned good at it and instead of you two fighting about it you two should come to something that’s both but you’re both too busy defending your side from the same damned foxhole.”

Adam looks at me eyebrow raised. Alex is frowny and pouts/broods… “I don’t want to be a lawyer…I’m an artist…”

Adam looks like he’s going to ay something and Alex fight and I point at both of them with that frustrated shake-waving hand. “Shuush!”

April nearly laughs.

I take a breath. “Alex have you ever thought about being an architect? It’s art based and you could take that and take all the art classes that you want to go with it.”

He looks like he never remotely thought of that.

Of course not he’s been too busy fighting over everything.

“Adam…is that a serious enough degree, a respectable enough career…it’s being an artist?”

He stared at me. That flat Adam stare. “I should have thought of that, I should…I…should have taken Alex’s talents a lot more instead of just making the assumptions…if he wants to try that I won’t stand in his way.”

He looks like he was chewing glass the whole time and Alex looks stunned at the kind of sort of apology.

I look around. “Settled?”

They look at each other, then at me and all this must have shot up my pressure ad everything because the headache is back and I can feel blood starting to drip from my nose.

I still stare both of them down as April heads off to get someone. “I asked if this is settled.”

They both nod.

“Say it and shake hands.”

There’s a bit of hesitation but they do.

“Good, I swear you two are going to fucking kill me….”

And that’s when the room sort of went grey and slid sideways.

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Value...

Andrea Lena's picture

To be held like I have value. His arms tighten around me. Alex could squeeze me to bruising and it’d still never be wrong…I’ll never say let me go.

...so much with such intensity and strength and truth with so few words; absolutely compelling and powerful! Thank you, dear one!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

If there's one common thing it's needing to feel Valued.

I see it here all the time in the stories and blogs here and everywhere else just to have that one person, just someone who gets all of it and wants me anyway.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

last word...

that's one way to shut them up and get the last word. I hope Jen takes her head out of her but soon and sees Cindy.
great chapter, thanks

Yeah it was a good way to shut them up:)

Hunter knew she was pushing her condition by getting into the middle of the argument and yet she just couldn't stand by and just watch them get into it again. The thing with Cindy and Jen's going to happen just have to get to that right part in the storyline:)
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Cindy crushing on Jen...

Actually, I loved that little unspoken communication between them when Cindy noticed that Hunter noticed. Cindy was pretty non-judgmental when she found out about Hunter. Now she knows Hunter knows about her crushing on Jen and is equally non-judgmental about it. She may even come to Hunter for help or advice... :P

*hugs and hoots*
Lees

Yup and Jen's pretty much without a clue:)

Actually this sort of back and forth between Cindy and Hunter's kind of my plan for the basis of their friendship.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

This story

tears my heart sometimes. It is so powerful I can't help but be moved. Hunter has survived so much, but still has so far to go. Her health issues are still damn scary. Abuse like she went though can have long term consequences.

big hugs
Grover

Surviving Abuse does leave some long term scars in so many...

this is part of why I write Hunter the way that I do. There's a lot of things to consider and think of with writing the abuse victims, the situation could have stopped a long time ago but the mental aspects are still able to keep going and going and going.

Physically she has a ton of old injuries that will follow Hunter all of her life.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

EEEP!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Eep! If that's not an ominous ending to an ominously titled chapter, then I have no idea what is! I'm guessing Hunter's surgery may be getting moved up from urgent to emergency.

Hunter's musings at the start of the chapter were very thought provoking and didn't shy away from a difficult issue of how Hunter perceives herself, and perhaps more importantly how Adam perceives her... i.e. If Hunter is intersex not transsexual then she was always physically been a girl in some way which means that Alex couldn't have been gay which means football god scholarship is still in play which means all his scheming hasn't been wasted... Had she been diagnosed as gender dysphoric instead I could see Adam having a harder time with the whole 'Alex isn't gay' bit in his head, even if the reality would have been that Hunter would still have been the same person, the same girl, regardless of being TS or IS.

Tissues ready at hand for the next chapter!

Thank you Bailey.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Hunter tends to ask hard questions to herself.

It's that life doesn't give you breaks thing she has inside. She's got a lot going on inside of her despite the strength she shows on the surface. And yeah Hunters sexuality and gender identity and physical sex are all twisted up in all of this and just adds to everything.

I liked Adam in this because he still showed that even with everything going on and how good he was being that he is still Adam.

I'm glad that you enjoyed this Jemima:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Glad to see more of Hunter

Glad to see more of Hunter and the gang, even if this has now veered into my least favourite trope of TS literature ("respectably intersexed, rather than transsexual freak"). Adam continues to be his charming self, though glimpses of a better person sneak out when he's not looking. Some of the suspense is missing, because of the Christmas episode, but hopefully the recovery won't be too bad.

Well Hunter being intersexed was planned from the start;)

Sorry but being Intersexed, Intergendered isn't a picnic either by any means and actually it has changed things of course but really is it all going to be for the better? Will it solve things? To Hunter as much as it gave her an Aha moment there's a lot more questions.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Cuts to the chase.

"To be held like I have value. His arms tighten around me. Alex could squeeze me to bruising and it’d still never be wrong…I’ll never say let me go."
In such a few words you find the central need so many of us have but can not find the words to describe it in. This just takes my breath away thank you.
Misha Nova

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Thanks so much Misha:)

I know that just about everyone knows this too and needs it too but sometimes it needs to be said because there's those too hurt, too tired and to scared to ever voice these things for themselves.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Yay! Sweet Dreams! Ow...my heart!

Argh! Another cliffhanger!

I swear your cliffhangers are going to fucking kill me one of these...

...

LOLS:) Thanks Lees!

I do love some of the lines and stuff that comes out of this story. Hunter is such a good character to write just for that reason. I wasn't meaning for it to be the cliffhanger it turned out to be but sometimes stories twist on you.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

To be safe

"Does he have any idea what safe means to people like me? Abused, hurt, beaten…the raped or molested… (Yay-choke-sob.)

To be held like I have value. His arms tighten around me. Alex could squeeze me to bruising and it’d still never be wrong…I’ll never say let me go.

To have someone just actually stop that pain before it jumps you."

I wept openly at this. Thank you, for sharing this.

DogSig.png

You're one of the people that came to mind as I wrote that Dot.

It was all Hunter and sort of meant for her but at the same time there was the people I know that have really been hurt soul deep like this that would get those words. That'd get exactly what Hunter meant.

I Hope the tears were clean ones.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Supported of Team Dorothy:)

Bailey Summers

Love how Hunter keeps the

Love how Hunter keeps the boys in line hehe, I hope this latest bleed isn't too bad. Its about time Adam sees there is a lot more to art than doodles pity it took Hunter to have to point out. Glad Jen has calmed down, god I feel for Cindy, it must be driving her mad having her love interest so close but so far and her actions surrounding Hunter don't bode well for coming out to Jen.

I have a feeling hunter will find a way to help cindy break the news without losing her friend, im also hoping Jen is more receptive to Cindy. Considering that when growing up Jen could never have shown interest I'm hoping its there somewhere even if its repressed.

As always great story

Big hugs

Lizzie :-)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Yeah April's great but too sweet to handle the boys.

There is stuff though planned for Cindy and Jen and I'm hoping it'll be good:) Cindy is scared as hell though and torture is right she's loved Jen a long time and through several boyfriends which is hard to watch.

Glad you liked it and really hope you're starting to feel better sweetie:)
*Great Big Huge Angel Hugs*
Bailey.
The Godfather;)

Bailey Summers

Don't you dare!!!

Pamreed's picture

You can't let her die (I know you won't) but she is the
glue that holds her new family together!! And now that
she if officially a girl there are no barriers to her and
Alex!! Architect, a perfect solution!! But hey we girls
know how to think outside the box!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Smack in the face

Jamie Lee's picture

Neither Adam or Alex have been forced to face the pain they've harbored for so long until Hunter came into their lives. Now they are being forced to face their demons because Hunter gets into their faces and tells it like it is.

She already told them to not dwell on what's kept them apart but to give each other a chance to regain that relationship. And she did it as only Hunter could do, cutting out all the BS and ordering them.

Every time the two flare up, Hunter takes both of them to school, making both act like kids who were told not to eat any cookies. No one before Hunter would ever think of schooling Adam, but she does when needed and it makes him think about what he just said.

Unless Adam has told Alex about all he went through growing up, then it's time Alex learn why Adam is as he is. And if Alex hasn't told Adam about what he experienced during the crash, then it's time he does. Only by being vulnerable to each other can their relationship start to heal.

That glass needs removed soon or Hunter is going to be in real trouble, always putting out the fire between Alex and Adam.

Others have feelings too.

Opps,

The Doctors forgot something.