Heat, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

This is a fan fic for Lilith Langtree's Comics Retcon Universe. As fan fic I have not asked permission from Lilith. There is no planned interaction between this and characters in Lillith's universe. It is I hope, a story of pain and redemption. I hope that it gives someone some entertainment. It is my first publication and written on an iPad by someone who has long forgotten their HTML. No more cavilling, story follows the jump.

The Heat inside Me

I sit and curse my life yet again.   The dull burning anger licks at my soul.   Always, always the anger burning inside me is like a living flame.   So much a part of me, yet unwanted and totally despised.   Why was I so angry, so bitter? Why had I allowed this anger to poison and twist me and my life to such a miserable end?

I need to to push this anger back, to make it retreat for a while.   I know how to do this.   I know how to obtain a few moments peace.

Crippled and twisted, I lurch up from my desk, grab my cane and leave my room, knowing it will be only minutes before I return to my seat, my uncomfortable throne but I will be better for it.

I stagger along the corridor cursing the blocked arteries that had made me accept my retreat into the single shuttered room that has been my life for all these many years.

Ah, the stairs.   I would call them my nemesis but I know that is just an excuse.   Carefully I negotiate getting down them, my hip joints and knee joints screaming flames at every step.   I reach the bottom and wait for a little while as fresh cooling blood slowly seeps into my muscles.

Okay now, through the door and into the kitchen, slowly, slowly over to the 'fridge.   I wrench it open and grab the half used packet of minced beef.   

Twenty feet to the back door.   I negotiate that and struggle out the back door. A few more feet and a few more after that.   One step at a time.   What am I, an alcoholic?   Round the corner and I am at the back of the house.   I collapse onto the concrete step, stretch my legs out and look at the dried grass and gum trees running down to the creek.   Peace.

They are waiting for me.   Every day they wait for me but I do not always come.   That I regret.   Just like everything else.

The Kookaburras, seven of them, three generations.   

I lay down my cane and fumble at the packet of meat. I ball a little piece and toss it beyond my feet. They watch.   Their heads twist as I throw down several more pieces.   Then they come.

In their black, brown, grey and white beauty they swoop down, land and take the meat.   They are in no hurry to leave.   They know they are safe.   The fire of rage within me retreats.

A few more pieces are grabbed, tossed out and down their long smokey-black beaks.   One hops and flaps and lands on my ankle.   Physical contact, how wonderful, even if they do not care.

I fumble at the packet again and hold out a lump.   It walks up my leg to my thigh and cranes its neck and as I stretch forward it takes the meat from my hand and looks me in the eye.

I toss a few more pieces around me.   Another one swoops down to take some and then lands on my shoulder as if I were a convenient log.   It wipes its beak on my lank blonde hair and I feel grateful for the contact.   But there is smoke on the horizon.

I feel …better.   The rage, the fire inside is not quenched but held in abeyance.

With no more food forthcoming, the kookaburras begin to return to their nomad routines, checking for grubs and taking high roosts to look for lizards and other small prey.   Ah, well, it was good while it lasted.

I roll onto my bloated stomach and force myself upright.   Time to return to my 'throne'.   I struggle to the back door.   Somehow the pain is less important.   Up the stairs along the corridor, and with a gasp, I sink back into my so despised seat.

I am 'home'.   So, what to do now?   What can I do to while away a few more hours while I wait for an ending?   I bring up Firefox, but before I go anywhere, anywhere but here, the phone rings.

"Bushfire Alert!   Bushfire Alert! Extreme Danger. Final alert.   This is an automated message.   All people receiving this call must evacuate now.   Do not stop to pack.   Leave now.   Use only main highways and evacuate to the west.   All fire refuges are open.   Evacuate now. Extreme danger.   Message repeats …"   Oh, fuck.   That is why there was smoke on the horizon.

I should have known.   I get off my seat again, (So soon?   Unheard of!), and push myself down the corridor, onto the balcony and look out the window.   A trace of grey smoke has turned to dirt black roiling clouds.   No bushfire that; it is a firestorm.   Nothing is going to survive it.   Not the refuges, not my Kookaburras, not my house, and not me.   I am glad that I am alone.   I shudder with pity for all that will be lost but I do not regret my coming extinction.

Evacuate? Moi? Thirty kilometres of dirt road before I hit the highway and the firestorm ten minutes away at best.   I don't have a prayer.   Thank God.

*****

How did I, Gordon Muir, get myself into such a sorry angst ridden state?   Perhaps a little of my history will explain it best.   I was brought up in a small country town on the eastern edge of Australia.   That is the green part.

I had spent most of my life surrounded by forested hills turned blue by the evaporation of eucalyptus oil from the gum trees. A truly beautiful area with abundant wildlife.

A few farms and vineyards scattered around on dirt roads that twisted through the forest following the contours of the land.   Creeks and streams abounded, flowing down to the river that ran through the town.   My father ran a small mechanic’s workshop next to the apiary where he worked on, well, anything.   Anything at all from cars and trucks and tractors to strange machinery for all the myriad of eccentric farms and businesses that not only made the place viable but a fascinating place to live. He kept his workshop and tools very clean, no heavy smells of oil and grease.   

With the smell of honey being extracted next door and the drift of lavender from a field servicing the perfumery on the hill behind, the workshop loft was a beautiful place to read books from the library or watch the ducks in the river.

When that palled, there was always my bike to take me into the bush, where there were creeks to swim in, with sun-warmed rocks to dry my clothes and towel. I would watch clouds of crimson rosellas flash among the trees or Wedge-tailed Eagles and hawks circling in the pale blue sky that seemed to go up and up forever.   Rocks and cliffs to climb, hills to conquer. Idyllic summer days.   

Winter was still beautiful but it could be dangerous for those caught unaware or not used to it.   With overcast skies, mists abounding and a foot of snow on the ground it was pretty easy to get lost thirty feet from the road.   That is when you had to pay attention to the slopes so you would know what direction to use to return to the track.   Just being lost overnight was cause enough to die from exposure.   But still a cold harsh heartless beauty was to be found among trees shut down but still leaved for the winter.   

The bush, summer or winter, active or still was always peace incarnate.   An excellent place to be.

The people were earthy and varied.   Few would have claimed to be creative, but it was there.   It was there in the foods created and shared, the machines made and the earth remodelled.   The creativity had always been there even back to the fish farms and stone buildings built by supposedly "uncivilised" aborigines a thousand years before while my ancestors painted themselves blue and starved in mud huts over winter half a world away.

So how then did I lose my peace in such a slice of heaven?

My own fault, you see.   Too many people telling me how smart I was and giving me the chance to show it off.   Well truth be told, smart is not worth as much as persistence.      Being able to see a better way of doing things does not count for much if you never actually do it, but just go on to see the next thing to improve.   Success is not achieved by finding the best way to do something but by actually doing that something despite the method.

So I set myself up for failure in life.   Too clever for my own good.   They told me that but I did not understand.   Now if I had been brought up in poverty I might have learned the benefits, the necessity of the hard slog, but the earth was rich and kind to us and there was no need for children to learn this at an early age.

Well, not for me at least.   What was the point of memorising times tables when you knew the result?   What was the point of memorising formulae when you could see how they were derived?   So I had much success at school but none in scholarship.

Naturally enough I drifted into "programming" before the world even created the term IT.   There I could put in the hard yards because to me they simply were not hard and I was good at it.

But the slog in IT is not doing the work, but in setting up a career, picking the right job, cultivating the right people, so office politics always did me in; and all I could do was cry "Why don't they understand?".

So my career stagnated for want of my understanding.   I blundered through life; through poor relationships and even marriage, one after the other always with that same idiot cry for understanding from people who understood me all too well.

My mind whirring, clicking at warp speed, but but never focussing on the right issues.   Never "catering" to people, never realising that sometimes they need precisely that.   Emotional intelligence?   I thought it a contradiction in terms.

*****

The phone rings again.   My mobile this time.   A flash of annoyance, the furnace inside me flares.   Can't they leave me in peace to face my ending?

I answer it.   It is my elder daughter, Catherine.   "Dad, Sascha and I are on our way up, we'll be five minutes, put the kettle on please.".

The phone disconnects and I put it down.   I am stunned and my anger flares.   I grip the balcony rail with both hands and the wood chars with my rage but I do not see it.   So much is swarming through my mind and I see…    …no possibilities.

Red rage.   No! This will not happen.

I run (run?) and grab all the bedding and towels I can find, from my bed, from the cupboard, from the bathroom and pile it in the driveway.   It takes me three trips.   I lay out the pitiful hose.   

There are burning embers starting to fall from the sky as my daughter's Mitsubishi careers around the corner and comes to a stop.   They leap out in panic and I shoo them back inside their car and start throwing blankets and towels over the car to cover all the windows.

Embers are falling fast now and small fires are starting everywhere.   

There are only seconds left now before this whole area erupts in a maelstrom of fire and heat.   I start the hose and wet down the bedding as much as I can while two sets of blue eyes watch me from a gap in the bedding at the bottom of a window almost as if they were again children at play.

It isn't going to be enough.   These fires melt metal.   I keep wetting the covered car down as the red hot rage fills me on the inside while the radiant heat starts to sizzle my hair and char my clothes on the outside.

It isn't going to be enough.   My children will burn. The rage and frustration hit critical mass just as the maelstrom roars.   Time slows down and my rage spills out.   I will not let my beautiful daughters die!

I draw upon the rage and pull the fire into me. I become the fire.    I cannot tell where I end and the fire begins.   My rage and the fire are one and the same.   I draw it into me, all of it. I rise up into the superheated air and draw in the heat, the flame that has become an extension of me.

Across a thirty mile front the temperature plummets and the fire falters, as it is drawn into me.   Not as pain, not as rage but the energy of pure unadulterated joy. I have eaten the maelstrom.

It is over.   My daughters live.   I laugh giggling at my burnt out rage and I fall naked but unashamed to the soothing of cold, cold gravel. I sleep.   Peace at last. It is over, i am over. Blackness fills me like ash.

*****

"Cat…   What just happened, are we safe, is Daddy safe? Can we get out of the car?" asked Sasha.

They got out of the car and ran to their father who was lying crumpled and face down in the driveway.   Turning him over they gasped.   They were looking at a young woman, maybe eighteen years of age.   Blue eyes and long strawberry blonde hair.   Cat checked her pulse, steady and strong but slow.   

"Sash, you remember we were talking about the metagene yesterday?   I think that is what happened.   It activates in times of stress.   Dad was trying to save us and he must have had the metagene." said Catherine.

"But that isn't Daddy, where is he?" asked Sascha.

"Four out of five times a rejuvenation and a sex change comes with metagene activation, Sash" replied Catherine.   "It looks like Dad is now a young woman, a woman a bit younger than us".

"Oh my gawd, is he ever going to freak out when he wakes up" said Sascha, putting her hand in front of her mouth.   "he will wake up won' he? Can they fix him?"

"No,   and I am not sure she would want them to, Sash.   She has dropped forty years at least and gained some sort of super power.   Would you want to take that away from her?"

"She, Her?   That's DADDY, not a her.   They have to fix this."

"Look sis, this is as big a shock to me as it is to you but we have things to do now, and she will need us.   Our father needs us. I think Dad would say you have to take the bad with the good, Sash.   All we can do is to try and help her though this and that means getting used to   him being a her.   She is still your daddy, even if she looks more like our sister and she is going to need us more than ever now."

"Well then, I suppose we should get her inside and warm and comfortable.   It is pretty chilly out here right now."   

Without too much difficulty Catherine and Sascha managed to get the newly transformed girl down the drive into the house and placed on the upstairs sofa, covering her with pillows.

"Ok, now, what?   Emergency services?" asked Sascha.   

"Probably not the best bet.   We don't want a media circus; but as a doctor I can't legally treat a relative anyway, and dad does need checking out by doctors who know far more about this than I do.   I think a call to Dr. Harrison our registrar might be a good idea.   He will know what to do."

Catherine called Dr. Harrison and told him she had witnessed a metagene activation.   Since this was the first in Australia, she got his immediate attention.   Very shortly an air ambulance was on its way.   They moved the car and hung out the bedding to dry.   By the time they finally got their cups of tea the helicopter was landing and took the three of them back to the teaching hospital where Catherine was a resident and Dr.   Harrison the registrar.

To be continued....

This is my first attempt at writing and publishing. I find it pretentious and self centered but it just a story so I guess that is ok. If you got any pleasure from reading this please let me know how it might be improved. This is supposed to set a scene for the rest of the story. If there is ant interest then I will try to continue with a weekly chapter. But I am scared that this does not cut the mustard. If you have any feedback there is no need to be gentle.

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Heat, Chapter 1

Good start. Wondering who new hero will be

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Stan

Thank you. As to who, I had hoped it was obvious. I will make sure that it is explicit in the next chapter if Lillith allows the fan fic and people are interested. I haven't read comics in forty years though but this character was my favourite long, long ago.

I know you edit here as well as author so any suggestions as to improving my writing will be gratefully accepted.

well

An interesting way to introduce firestar if anything, or is it the dc version magma?

I like the beginning. I

I like the beginning. I don't know much about the metagene universe, but if you continue with the story, I will keep reading, especially if you keep writing like this. You did a good job, and it grabbed me.

thanks.
CaroL

CaroL

CaroL

Thank you very, very mucH. You have no idea how much that means and how relived ibfeel. I have been sitting here literally trembling since I posted it. The continuation will drift back and forth showing the potagonists life develop as a male and fail. And the development of the new life as female.

Actually if I had no idea it was a retcon story

until it was mentioned I just found it extremely cool and loved the stark realism of the main character. And I like the fact of it being set in Australia. Tat's a nice twist to me. I'll read more of this and I don't like retcons.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

It wouldn't be up there without your encouragement.

It is recon fan fic although I will be trying to maintain cannon. But all universes are platforms and many contain the good and the mediocre.

There is a lot more "set in Australia" here than you might think. Aussies seem over represented here but that over representation seems to occur in many areas.

God bless you Bailey.

Thera.

Awesome start.

As a big fan of the retcon universe I gotta say this is a great start even if it's not cannon and only fanfic. Please keep up the great work.

That makes me feel far less nervous

I felt a bit like I was invading others space and was worried about a backlash. But if a recon fan likes it then I guess it must fit. Thanks again.

Thera

Very Good Start

revolution's picture

As stated above this story Grabbed me! i can't wait to read your next addition to it.

Thank you.

And I can't wait either as I have a bit planned out with multiple ways to go. This is the first fiction I have written and published and it is a tremulous but rewarding thing to do.

A first try?

Well you did good with it. Period.

Pretentious and self centered? I don't think so at all. Sometimes things just have to come out, you know.

And this is a really good start.

Maggie

Yep, first time. Not a virgin anymore.

This probably revealed more of me than I really wanted it to but once I started it, it just spilled out. I blame the kookaburras and the fear I felt last year watching the horizon.

For what it is worth the telephone alert system actually exists now in the state of Victoria. We don't yet know how it will work in practice yet but it is in place. Those who complain about the "nanny" state should think about that.

Thank you for your kind words,

Thera,

I liked it!

The younger daughter sounded, well, young, perhaps even in her teens. However, the story suggests she's an adult. Even still good work.
Hugs
Grover

Great!

Coming from you that compliment means a great deal.

Sasha in the story is nineteen but seems younger because it seems to me that many young women nowadays hide their light under a bushel of wheat. Her actual maturity will be shown later in private conversations in following chapters, but note how readily she accepted the conversion and immediately turned to practical concerns. Not dumb at all that one.

Thanks again,

Thera.

First effort?

If this is your first effort, I can't wait to see what you do with experience! Very nicely done, and yes, I really want to read more! Wow!

Wren

Your wish is my command Wren

I will try to keep a roughly weekly schedule but I totally fail to understand how so many people here manage to be so prolific. There is so much here to read and feel that I cannot see how anyone finds enough time to write.

Thanks Wren - love that name. Powerful but unpretentious.

Thera.

Ohhhh Very Good Start!

I'm grasping for more please Thera! i want to see where you are heading... i loved the descriptions of the countryside of Australia and the terror of the firestorm was very real. please keep doing what you are doing.
Hugs,
Diana

Thank you.

I will do my best.

I actually migrated to Australia as a child and for the first few years it seemed just shabby gray or sterile red. But then I started to notice the suble shades and what seemed like flat gray and sterile red became vibrant to my eye. I truely believe that Australia is the most beautiful country on Earth, not in any one thing but in its vibrant multiplicity of environments and ecologies.

Thanks again,

Thera.

very well done!

Full of strong emotions, interesting characters, and realistic interactions.

Please continue.

DogSig.png

I will Dorothy.

You are part of this too. Without witnessing your courage and willingness to put yourself out there I would not, could nothave done this. In a way this is the story of my transition which is not physical or visible but entirely internal. You give me strength. I thank you more than I can say.

Love Thera.

Well...

If you are blushing then you cannot be feeling depressed, right? Hope I gave a little strength back. When you feel depressed remember how much good you do; you are a symbol and a blessing to all of us. Know that we appreciate it and love you dearly even if we have never met. I am sure God loves you Dorothy as do we all.

Bless you dear,

Thera.

Good Story

Good for you and your first story , please keep it going THANK YOU for your time & effort in writing & posting KUDOS TO YOU -- RICHIE2

Thank you Ritchie

I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading.

Thera.

nice beginning

I hope you continue this. it show a lot of promise.
thanks for sharing it with us.

I will

Thank you for your kind comment.

Thera

Welcome to BCTS

Hi Thera:

This doesn't just "cut the mustard", it absolutely slays the entire gamut of condiments! What a fantastic first effort. The realism of it all just blew me away. If you enjoyed posting this half as much as I enjoyed reading it, then you must be grinning yourself silly right now. I've never heard of ret cons, but it doesn't seem to matter. This story stands up beautifully all on its own. Wow!

.
.

Jeans and turtleneck_0.JPG
The girl in me. She's always there,
waiting for that damn metagene to show up.

Thank you so much Lora

Yes posting it made me feel great. Even more so after so many people I respect were so kind with their compliments. I actually walking better and getting out more. It seems like it might be a turn around for me. Coming out in Bigcloset has been great for me.

I was scared stiff that it was not the right sort of material for this place but it seems to have been well received. Looking at your photos it tells me you don't need the metagene as your are one of the most gorgeous girls I have ever seen. I could get lost in those eyes. I am so jealous but not in a mean way.

Take a look at some of the retcons, I think you will find it worthwhile.

I am so happy you enjoyed an bubbling over from your compliments.

I have to run for RL reasons but, your response means more than I can get out in a few brief (panty) paragraphs.

Be well, you are blessed.

Hugs, Thera.

Thank you so much Lora

Yes posting it made me feel great. Even more so after so many people I respect were so kind with their compliments. I actually walking better and getting out more. It seems like it might be a turn around for me. Coming out in Bigcloset has been great for me.

I was scared stiff that it was not the right sort of material for this place but it seems to have been well received. Looking at your photos it tells me you don't need the metagene as your are one of the most gorgeous girls I have ever seen. I could get lost in those eyes. I am so jealous but not in a mean way.

Take a look at some of the retcons, I think you will find it worthwhile.

I am so happy you enjoyed an bubbling over from your compliments.

I have to run for RL reasons but, your response means more than I can get out in a few brief (panty) paragraphs.

Be well, you are blessed.

Hugs, Thera.

Quite a good start

Very good start, Thera, and not at all pretentious or self-centered. I look forward to more.

Thank you

I am hoping I have the talent and will to continue and have a few ideas in which direction to take this. Your response and those of the other girls makes delightfully mandatory.

Thanks again,

Hugs, Thera.

Intense, compact, economical writing, a lot of bang for the buck

Nary a wasted word in the lot.

His sad look back a failed life was almost painful as I felt what he felt. His true, deep love for others despite how he failed to understand people in life was proven in his suicidal attempt to save his daughters.

How they reacted after showed he was not a failure in everything. They are a credit to him and the wife of his failed marriage.

Hum, is the ex wife alive? or will it just be his daughters to help and guide the new *dad*.

A hell of a way to get a second chance.

Even hints the meta was about to emerge as he left upstairs to try and save his daughters ... something about his rage charring the railing as he grabbed it but he didn't notice.

An excellent start to your tale.

Welcome to BC.

The rest have covered it well.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Aw man, you understood it all!

This is getting scary. So many people I respect seem to be enjoying this little piece. I am going to reply to you in a PM if I may but not today as I have much to do. But I couldn't leave without showing some appreciation. What you got out of it was exactly what I was trying to put into it. You are one he'll of a reader as well as one hell of a writer. Thank you so much.

Hugs, Thera.

your story is

Off to a good start. Looking forward to part 2.

*Claps

A very good story , the central character seems very human and real, I am looking forward to the next part.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Thank you.

A little too much first person maybe but I hope I got the character accross.