Emma's Story: Chapter 21

Printer-friendly version
Emma’s Story: Chapter 21
Samantha Jenkins

I smiled at Abby as I sat on a bench. “Well, she said we need to talk about it some more, but with hers and mom’s blessing, I might be attending school as Emma.”

Abby sat next to me and smiled. “The first day is probably going to be the hardest, but eventually, most everyone will forget about Justin and you will have always been Emma.” That was as far as the conversation got as Abby’s dad pulled up outside the doors that we sat inside of. Mom was sitting in the passenger seat, and because the back windows were down, I could tell that Nicole and Rachel were in the third row, leaving the second row open for the older sisters to sit in. Abby and I walked out, with me holding the bag from the tween shop that contained my new capris. I knew the shirt that Abby was talking about and I also knew that Rachel had worn it exactly once, it was to a company picnic a few days after mom had bought her the shirt. As we got in the SUV, Mom turned to look at us.

“What’d you guys get?”

“I bought a pair of capris. Abby seems to think that the capris, the shirt that you bought for Rachel before the company picnic last year and the sandels I’ve got on now would look good together.” Mom gave me a look up and down as I buckled my seatbelt.

“I can see that…” Mom said turning back toward the front of the car and squeezing Daniel’s hand. I watched as Daniel took a glance at mom and then smiled. Abby and I shared a glance, both of us not missing the glance that was shared between them and the squeeze of the hand.

“You can have that shirt, it’s too girly for me…” Rachel said from the back seat. She was sitting behind Abby so I was able to turn and see her. Just like I thought, she wore a pair of denim shorts and a white spaghetti strapped tank top. She had a pair of blue and white sneakers on her feet. Mom turned around and smiled at us.

“Emma, you can wear that to your appointment with Dr. Williams tomorrow.

“I don’t have an appointment with Dr. Williams tomorrow…” I said, the confusion evident in my voice.

“She called and left a message this morning after you left about wanting to see you in the morning. The appointment is at ten.” Daniel pulled the SUV into the parking lot of a restaurant and parked the car.

#

After we had been seated, and the waiter and delivered our drinks, Mom and Daniel told us something that shocked us.

“Daniel and I have been dating for about three weeks.” Mom said, looking at the four of us. It wasn't hard for her to do, as we were seated around a round table. Mom and Daniel sat next to each other and then it was Abby and I, and to my left Nicole and Rachel. Her eyes looked at Abby and I first, and then Rachel and Nicole.

“It’s about time, Dad…” Abby said suddenly, but with a hint of laughter in her voice. Daniel looked at Abby and started laughing, causing the laughter to spread around the table. Just then the server came back up and looked at us.

“Looks like we’re having a good time,” He said. “What can we get for you to eat?” He went around the table, staring with Mom and working his way around the kids before finishing with Daniel. He disappeared into the kitchen again and we settled into talk of what had happened that day. Abby reached over and took my ponytail out, letting my hair down and cascade around my shoulders. When I turned and looked at Abby, she just smiled at me.

“It was getting loose anyway,” she said, “If we had the hair ties, I’d put it in pigtails…”

I smiled at Abby and then turned to look at mom. “Any clue why Dr. Williams scheduled this appointment on such short notice?”

“Nope, but she said that she wants me there as well.” Mom said, before sipping her soda.

“Hmm…” Abby said, thoughtfully. “I’ve never had her do that… I still see her once a month for blood work to keep my levels correct.”

“Guess we’ll find out tomorrow…” Mom said. “Right now, lets eat.” She could see the kitchen from where she sat and could see our server bringing the food out to the table.

#

We had gone back to Abby’s after we had eaten and were all sitting in the living room talking. There was some classical composer playing quietly on the surround sound system that was attached to the TV that sort of blended into the background.

“Why do you think that Dr. Williams wants to see you tomorrow?” Abby asked.

“No clue, but I bet it has to do with me going to school as Emma.” I replied. Mom turned and looked at me. Apparently the whole doctor-patient privilege applied even when you were under eighteen…

“You’ve spoken to Jill about going to school as Emma?”

“Yeah.” I replied, nonchalantly. “I’m just thinking ahead.”

“Just like her mother…” Mom replied. “Just so you know, I support what ever she thinks.”

I smiled at Mom and then at Abby. This was good information to know. “I mean, I’ve only been living as Emma for the last 2 months, well, one month really.” I said, realizing that my math was slightly off. “ The first month was only after school and weekends. “Isn’t there a name for living full time as a girl when you’re a boy?”

“Real Life Transition.” Abby answered. She would know, she’d only been going though it for the last two years at least. “It’s how you know for sure that transititoning to the other gender is for you.”

“Yep,” Mom said, standing. “Emma, Rachel, we need to get going. I want Emma to be rested for this appointment.”

Abby and I stood and smiled at each other, both of us hugging. Nicole and Rachel did the same thing and Mom and Daniel hugged as well.

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Samantha,

A wee bit short,but well worth waiting for,a sweet
and lovely story.Especially like the bond that Abby
and Emma are building.

ALISON

It's about time Emma's mom

Renee_Heart2's picture

& Abby's dad got merryed:).

I think the dr DOES want to talk to Emma about going to school as her self. It's good that mom supports her in her decision.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Thanks

For another great chapter. Keep them coming at your own speed and the fans will keep reading them. I for one will be looking forward to the next chapter. Just like Moria from Becoming Robin said 'Just don't overwork yourself, slow down and enjoy life.' It was something like that anyway. What I mean is that don't work fast to make us happy, work as fast as you want and keep writing for yourself. Just put the chapters out when they are your ready, not someone elses ready.

Joshlyn Amanda

Emma's Story: Chapter 21

Hopefully Emma will be accepted at school.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Just wanted to say Samantha!

Great Story, thank you.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Back in the day ....

>> “Real Life Transition.” <<

It was called the 'Real Life Test'; it was a test to see if one could cope with and wished to transition. I understand in the UK, RLT was necessary before getting HRT.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

New family unit

Jamie Lee's picture

So far, Abby and Emma are happy their parents are together. But how do Rachel and Nicole feel about their parents dating, or the prospect of marriage?

The six appear to be at ease together, and might make a very nice family.

Surprise appointment? About Emma going to school or some other topic?

Others have feelings too.