Happy Birthday, Dorothy

Printer-friendly version

Happy Birthday, Dorothy

Author’s note: This is sort of an antidote to my story, “The old man at the window.” Please join me in this little look into a possible future for some old broad named Dorothy Colleen....

It was Dorothy’s birthday, and the whole extended care facility was buzzing with anticipation.

In the year or so since she arrived at the facility due to losing her mobility, she had become a favorite to nurses, aides, and residents alike. Not many people were immune to her smile, her tendency to hug anyone willing to take one, her infectious laugh, or the way she adopted the people around her into her family, making everyone who wanted to be into a son or daughter.

Her daughter Samantha and her family came early and helped change the dining room into Birthday Central, with pink streamers and balloons hung in every corner. The center table was piled with presents, some of them having spent long trips in the mail to arrive in time for the occasion, and a large chocolate cake had been made and iced with the best wishes from those who loved Dorothy, which was nearly anyone who spent any time around her.

The guest of honor knew full well what was going on, but she pretended to be unaware to honor everyone’s hard work. Instead, she typed away on a laptop in her room, which was crammed with mementoes, pictures, and books. A Drea DiMaggio paperback sat on the nightstand, signed by the authoress herself, and beside the pile of notes that sat by the laptop was a couple of books that were the pride of her small collection - because she had been the author of them.

Finally, all was prepared, and her daughter Samantha came and wheeled Dorothy into the dining room, where her family and the whole staff sang “Happy Birthday” and then cheered.

After opening the presents, Dorothy surrendered to the calls of “Speech! Speech!” Dorothy carefully wheeled her chair forward and promised she wouldn’t keep people from the cake long, which got a laugh. Then she thanked each person who helped make the party possible, and ended by saying “Lastly, I want to thank my family. I havent always been the easiest person to put up with, especially when the female hormones started really kicking in, but you’ve stood by me through it all. Bless each and every one of you.”

With her speech over, everyone moved to enjoy the cake, and her family took photos of the birthday girl and her “loot.” with a smile on her face that shone with all the love she had for those who loved her.

A smile she would continue to have, right until her dying day.

up
95 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good one

good story ,great theme and glad to see lighter themes from you keep up the good work Kiddo am proud to be Papa

thanks, Papa

Glad you liked this.

DogSig.png

birthdays

its nice when family and friends remember us on a birthday.
nice one, thanks

yep, birthdays can be fun

any occasion for a party, right?

Glad you liked this, and thanks for the comment Lonewolf.

DogSig.png

Dorothy's Birthday

Sweet.

But how can future you "wheel her chair forward" when hoverchairs technically don't have wheels? Oh well. :)

I wonder what I gave you for a present on that day...

Hmmm...

Lisa

I'm sure you gave me something awesome

And you would be invited, even if you had to use a teleporter to arrive ..

Thanks for the comment, my fellow Angel.

DogSig.png

The Persistence of Verbs

We'll continue to "wheel" hoverchairs in much the same way that we still "dial" on telephone keypads.

Anam Chara

Persistence

Good point! :) Even in Stargate SG-1, they call the default stargate control panel a DHD, or Dial Home Device, and it's a large round keypad.

Lisa

Yay for Dorothy! =D

Extravagance's picture

And who knows, maybe you'll even find a girlfriend along the way, be she a Zombie Killer Girlfriend or not. ^_^

Catfolk Pride.PNG

or maybe a Mega-tomboy girlfriend?

Who know what awesomeness awaits us all in the years to come?

Thanks for the comment hon.

DogSig.png

Wonderful

Thank you Dorothy for a warm and hopeful story. Much to be preferred to The Man.Thank the Goddess my life is much closer to this story. I love your work and your loving heart shines through every tale.

Huggs,

Joani

Bookends

laika's picture

This story and THE OLD MAN AT THE WINDOW really belong together. That story was bleak but powerful and real, telling an all too common tale of regret over chances not taken. And here we have another timeline, maybe branching off from some pivotal moment like in a work of time travel science fiction. I prefer this one. Although the last line made it seem just a hair too wonderful. Probably this has less to do with the line than my reaction to it, the image it conjured up in my mind of a permanently plastered on smile. Life would still have its trials and disappointments, the pains of declining health and abilities, and a human---even one who has learned the habit of gratitude---couldn't be faulted for feeling these and sometimes showing it. It's allowable. So in my mind I ammended it to: A smile she would continue to have---give or take the occasional crappy day---right until her dying day.
~~hugs, Veronica

thanks, Veronica

I like your little change, hon. Thanks so much for sharing it, and for reading and commenting.

DogSig.png

Both.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Both are good moving stories.
I had not yet read the other one. So i went back too.
(this is sort of a comment to both & the comments under both))

The first on made me thoughtful as well as sad.
The second made me happy as well as hopeful.
Great writing both!

Whatever the future may bring there will be happy moments and sad,
hopefully we will all receive more of the happy ones.

*Wonders what the future may holds*
Hope I have not yet to much time pass.

thanks, Hypatia

nothing makes this old author happier than seeing comments, and comments on an old story are especially nice.

I'm glad you liked these two.

DogSig.png

Happy Birthday, Dorothy

And many happy returns! :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine