Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Chapter V - The Dance

As we entered the arena, the band was already set up and playing oldies tunes. They were playing Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay by Danny and the Juniors. It was nice to know that we were going to have something we could actually dance to. But for those of us from Gamma Delta Phi, we were supposed to dance like refined ladies. I even told Paul this, and he laughed saying that why can't we dance rock and roll. I told him that because many of the rock and roll songs are fast paced, and when we dance, our dresses will fly up, and people will see our underthings. I told him that ladies don't do that in public. Then his face got really serious.

"You mean that you can't dance rock and roll ever!"

"I didn't say that, Paul. What I said was when we are in our dresses we can't, because the dress will fly up in a way that others can see our underthings. We at Gamma Delta Phi are ladies, Paul, and ladies don't show their underthings in public. Paul, you have to understand that a lady is very vulnerable when she is wearing a dress or even a skirt. What we do at Gamma Delta Phi is show the public that we are ladies at all times, and that includes on the dance floor. I can have fun listening to the songs, and even sing along to some of them. Paul, I love you like a brother, but you have to understand that I can't do anything that would be unlady like, and dancing rock and roll in this dress would be unlady like. Besides, if you look at my sorority sisters, you will see a lot of them in prom dresses. How can you dance rock and roll with a dress at your ankles?

"If you look at the schedule, Paul, you will see that there is going to be a lot of slow dance music as well. Like the Wayward Wind by Gogi Grant, or Johnny Get Angry by Joanie Sommers, and there are a whole lot more too. There is even some Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin included. Paul, I would rather dance slow dances with you, so that we can be close to each other while we dance. But we can't do anything inappropriate, or the chaperones will make sure we leave. The reason I asked you to come with me tonight, is because I am not to be at a public function unescorted. I thought of you right away when I was told there was a dance tonight, because we have been best friends forever. Paul, do you still want to marry me, knowing I can't make a spectacle of myself in public, because that would be unlady like?"

"Yes Jean, more than ever, because finally I have found a lady with real morals and values. You are exactly the kind of woman I have been looking for. Now that I have found you, will you marry me?"

"Yes Paul, I will."

Paul got up and took my hand. He led me out to the dance floor, and got down on one knee. Oh my gosh, he is so gallant and chivalrous. He looked up at me, with a ring box in his hand.

"Jean McMillan, will you marry me?"

"Yes Paul Anderson, I will."

The applause just seemed to go on forever. One of his dorm mates came over and congratulated him, and said something in his ear, for which Paul promptly punched him in the arm lightly. The emcee, then made an announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is indeed a special occasion. When two people can find true happiness and show it to the world, then the engagement and ensuing marriage is blessed by God Himself. Let us wish this couple well, and may they succeed in everything they set out to do. Also, just remember young man, that you may be the man of the house, but she is the one in charge." There was applause and laughter that seemed to last forever. Then the emcee said something to the band, and they started playing Catch A Falling Star by Perry Como. Paul took me in his arms, and started leading me around the dance floor. I loved it.

'May they succeed in everything they set out to do', kept ringing in my head. Ever since mother told me about her being a Gamma Delta, I had wanted to pledge this sorority; I have always wanted to be physically female, and Paul had been looking for a woman with true morals and values. We have accomplished all of that except for the physical female part. Right now I am living the real life test, and after that I will have the surgeries that will make me comlpete and whole. What more could a girl ask for?

Mother came over and wished us well, and even said that there will be an engagement party in two weeks, because in just a few days I will have the orchiectomy done. Then my body will stop producing testosterone, so that the estrogens can take over. This is a dream come true for me, and I know that I will be happy, once my major surgeries are completed. I really don't need anything done, except the genital surgeries to get rid of this awful birth defect. Mother also told me that she will let the Gamma Delta Phi sisters know about the party, and it will be held here at the Sarah M. McKinley Arena.

"I want to introduce you to the whole faculty, staff, and student body. Like a sixteen coming out party, only this is an engagement party instead. You have made me proud tonight, Jean, and you will make a fine wife, and even mother if you decide to adopt." She hugged me tightly, and then said in my ear, "I've lost my little girl, you're a woman now, with a man to care for you. Oh I am so happy for the both of you." Then she started crying.

"I just want you to be happy, darling, that's why I said I didn't agree with your choices. But you have come a very long way, in such a short time. You have really accomplished a lot, and I am proud of you. I am going to do everything I can to make sure that you and Paul have what you need to get started too."

"Mother, everything will be all right, you'll see. Tomorrow we will probably set the wedding date for after we graduate from college. Because then I will be complete, and all the legal things will be taken care of. And this time, I will have the doctor's statement saying I am female."

"We can get that now, dear. Dr. Burns will write out a thing to get female on your birth certificate. It will be on her letterhead so they won't question it. I want you to know Jean, that I will do what I can to make sure that you are recognized for the girl that you are. You have made me very proud." She kept hugging me, and saying these things over and over. "Monday we will go and tell her what we need."

"All right mother, I have classes on Monday though. But I have a break between my morning classes and my afternoon classes, so we could go then."

"All right, I will call her office, and leave a message on her voice mail. She checks that before she sees her first patient. We will get the letter written Monday, and send out the request for your birth certificate that evening."

"That sounds good, mother."

The band started playing Not Enough Indians by Dean Martin. I think they did that to let Paul know exactly who is in charge in this relationship. Paul took me out on the floor again, and began leading here and there. We danced close, but in an acceptable way. Our bodies didn't touch. I was wondering what was going through Paul's mind. He has to be a real gentleman and made sure I am not doing anything unlady like. I looked at his eyes, and I could see that he was actually letting the music sway his feet. When the song was over, he shook his head much like you would do coming out of a trance. We went back to our table, and he pulled out my chair for me to sit down. He pushed the chair back in, and then said he was going to get us some punch. When he came back, he set one cup in front of me, and then sat down with his.

Kendra came over and we talked for a bit, then I whispered in her ear that I needed the restroom. She said no problem, and we made our excuses and left. Kendra and I went into the ladies room where I promptly rushed into a stall and sat down. Oh that was just in time. I then washed my hands, and the other women that were in there didn't give me a second glance. I felt accepted by strangers who didn't care I was there. Or didn't they care because they didn't know. Whatever the reason, I felt really very good inside. Kendra and I stayed behind in the lounge part, and we talked for a little while.

"So how is it going with your fianc� That was really very bold of him to ask you to marry him right in front of everyone, and you even accepted, as graciously as you could, too. Jean, just remember what we talked about. Did you talk to your mother about it?"

"Yes I did. She said we are going to our doctor on Monday, and have her write a thing to the state where I was born, and that it will be on her letterhead."

"That's good. Then your problems will actually be over. Let's get back to our tables. I'll talk to you later."

Kendra was the one who started all of these wheels rolling by inviting me to the open house. Then I was told that to pledge Gamma Delta Phi I had to become physically female. I wanted that ever since I can remember. Then I was pledged, and told about this dance, but I needed a chaperone, then my chaperone asks me to be his girlfriend. Then we get to the dance, and he asks me on a bended knee if I will marry him, and I accepted.

Time really does fly by when you're having fun. All too soon, the dance was over. Kendra came over by us to congratulate us formally, and we all walked back to the Gamma Delta house. Kendra's chaperone was a tall guy, and he looked like he lifted weights too. His blonde hair complimented his face that had piercing sky blue eyes. Kendra was joking at mine and Paul's expense, but we took it like troopers. The arena isn't that far from the Gamma Delta house, and before we knew it, we were in front of the steps. Because of the late hour, the guys weren't allowed in. We gave them hugs, and said I love you's, and Kendra and I went inside. The guys waited until we closed the door.

I went up to my room, and Kendra went to hers. I unzipped my dress after trying for five minutes. Now I know why Kendra helped me zip it up. I stepped out of the dress very carefully, and hung it back on its hanger. Monday I would take it to the dry cleaners. Not because there was a stain or anything on it, but I was dancing tonight, and I was perspiring, so the dress needed to be cleaned. I sat down at the only vanity that Lily and I share, and took off my makeup. I got out of my undergarments, and put on my robe and slippers. I took my rose nightgown with me, and went to take my bath. Since we are all girls, there is no need to lock the bathroom door, so I just ran the water, put in a little rose bubble bath, and let the suds foam up. I sat in the tub and let the suds relax me all over. Two inch pumps are nice, but when you dance in them most of the night, they are a nightmare. I massaged my feet in the tub as well as my calves and thighs. After a bit the water was losing its warmth, so I washed all over. I washed my hair after I had washed everywhere else. When I blow dried my hair, it bounced right back to when I had left the salon. They gave me a perm. I put on my nightgown and panty set, got into my robe and slippers, then I went back to my room.

"Good night, Jean," Kendra said going into the bathroom.

"Good night, Kendra."

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So very proper Barbara!

It's almost too sweet!

Hugs

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 5

My worry is that there might be some on the campus who would cause trouble if they were to learn about Paul and Jean

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine