Odyssey III Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 12

Kylie drove the DUKW over to Leo’s shop the next day. Larry followed behind her with his four ways flashing as they drove the short distance down the state highway since the vehicle had not yet been licensed. Those that saw the big shiny monster making the short trip down the Bozman-Neavitt Road did more than one double take. Among those were Serena and Misty. When they saw the shiny polished metal DUKW turn up Almost Neavitt Road they knew it was heading to Leo’s Collision and Repair. It was only seeing Larry following the behemoth that they realized it had to be from the Clan Wells Point. They exchanged perplexed looks wondering what they were up to now. Not being from the area they had no knowledge that the DUKW had been stored in the Barn for years. Their curiosity reinforced their desire get on better terms with the Clan.

The day after its arrival, Leo primed the DUKW with epoxy paint. The job was flawless as every
nook and cranny both inside and outside were thoroughly covered.

Amy Beck and Ferdy Hammond were more than eager to get involved in another investigation for Krista. The geeky duo discovered they had much in common while working to expose the Apple Tree cover up. While few outside of their classmates knew they were the ones who blew the lid off the Apple Tree scandal, many of their classmates were where of the facts. That awareness coupled with Krista and the other clan teens open acceptance of the pair pulled them from the nearly invisible sidelines of seventh grade society into a quiet mainstream existence. Truth be told they have become boyfriend and girlfriend although both were too shy to do more than be together and occasionally hold hands.

When they were given the details on Wednesday that Leo had provided about his grandson, Brandon, Amy and Ferdy eagerly set to work. Their initial Internet searches turned up the easily accessible public records. Brandon had been a defensive lineman on his school’s football team, earning a letter in his sophomore, junior and senior years. At six feet one inch and weighing in at two hundred thirty pounds he was a powerful, muscular guy. His senior year school yearbook revealed that he was openly gay since the ninth grade. It also revealed that Brandon had a steady boyfriend. Gary Jenckes was a fellow member of the football team and in the same class as Brandon. Tapping into Brandon’s parents tax records revealed medical deductions for a fundamentalist Christian boot camp between ninth and tenth grade and an intensive Gay Reversal Therapy camp between tenth and eleventh grades all to no avail. Both attempts had obviously failed. As far as they could tell Brandon’s parents accepted their responsibility to see him through high school graduation, but that was it. Tax records also showed that Brandon had part time jobs all through high school. They guessed it was to pay his expenses since they felt his parents gave him only meals and a place to sleep.

Tapping into Federal employment records specifically from W-2 forms, Amy and Ferdy discovered that Brandon and Gary were employed by a landscaping service. It didn’t take that much effort to hack into the company’s personnel files to get current addresses and phone numbers for the boys. The two were living together in an efficiency apartment, one of many made from an old motel that had lost its clientele when the two lane road it was built along was bypassed by a new four-lane highway. The landscaping services records also showed that the boys were currently laid-off for the winter season but their files had been tagged for recall in the spring.

*****

Saturday, February 23 was Sandy’s seventh birthday. She was well aware that the Clan planned to have a birthday party that evening at their normal Saturday night gathering. What she didn’t know was the plans for before the gathering. Krista caught her as she exited the bathroom that morning and let her into her bedroom. There was a pretty dress laid out on the bed. It was pink with a lot of ruffles and a fluffy petticoat. Sandi loved the dress and with Krista’s help was soon wearing it. Lace topped anklets and shiny black Mary Jane shoes completed the outfit. Her hair was pulled back into a high bouncy ponytail secured in place with pink ribbons. Krista was wearing a denim skirt and matching sweater.

Everyone commented on how pretty she looked as they ate breakfast. When they were done Sandi was surprised when her new mother and father and Krista led her out to Pat’s expedition. The four of them headed off, refusing to tell Sandy where they were heading. As they drove Krista kept her busy talking about how pretty her dress was and about Kylie and Larry’s upcoming wedding. Thanks to Krista’s efforts the two and a half hour drive went quickly. It wasn’t until they pulled into these parking lot of the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup that Sandy realized where they’d been heading.

“Is this where my mom is?” Sandi asked but quickly blushed. “Sorry, I know you’re my mommy now, but she was my mommy and...,”

“It’s all right Sandi,” Pat smiled as he unbuckled their seatbelts. “We understand. I’m your mommy by choice, she’s your mommy by birth. That doesn’t mean you still can’t love her and loving her doesn’t mean that you can love me.”

“Things can really get complicated,” Krista explained to Sandi. “The secret is to not really think about your feelings, your feelings come from your soul deep inside of you, and your mind tries to make rules and make everything nice and neat. But a lot of times our mind gets in the way of our feelings. Just accept your feelings because they’re honest. You can love more than one mommy, but only one mommy can raise you.”

“That’s why my mommy that lives here is going to be my aunt,” Sandi nodded wisely.

“Exactly,” Krista smiled. “Now let’s go inside so you can see Aunt Buffy.”

Buffy had been quite depressed recently. She had been an addict, but while in the Talbot County lockup, she’d gone cold turkey on withdrawal. By the time of the trial, she was clean and terribly distraught about what she’d allowed to happen to Sandi. She’d learned that Sandi was living with the family that found her hiding in the Park and that they wanted to adopt her. She also knew that Krista had founded cared for Sandi and knew that Krista was a transsexual who really cared about others. She was aware that Krista was responsible for reuniting the Reese family and bringing Jasmine out of the coma.

Because of her remorse she pleaded guilty to all the charges against her and meekly accepted her sentence. While it broke her heart to give up custody of Sandi, Buffy understood she’d been a horrid mother. The fact that she had been allowed to this witness the adoption and that Sandi had been allowed by her new family to give her a goodbye hug and kiss cemented Buffy’s feelings that the adoption was in Sandi’s best interest. What really pleased her was that Krista had acted like a mother hen for Sandi throughout the proceedings. Any and all preconceived notions that Buffy had about transsexuals being deviants were thoroughly vaporized that day in the courtroom.

It had been almost four months since she’d arrived at the women’s correctional facility, and she certainly didn’t like being there. It was a hard life, and one that she certainly was not ready to live. Her depression had become so great that she was considering suicide.

When she woke up that morning, she realized it was Sandi’s birthday and that she hadn’t even tried to send a card. Thoughts of suicide filled her grieving mind. Just after lunch she was summoned to the visitors area. This was the first time anyone had come to see her. For brief moment she hoped that maybe it was Sandi, but quickly dismissed that idea. Still she wondered who it could be.

She was taken into a small room with chairs and a table and told to wait while her visitors were brought in. In a few moments the door opened and in walked Pat and Leroy.

“How’s Sandi doing?” Were the first words out of Buffy’s mouth. “It’s her birthday and I’ve been so miserable I completely forgot until today. Please tell me she’s okay!”

“Sandi is just fine,” Pat reassured her. “We just wanted to make sure that you are okay. She and Krista are waiting just outside the door.”

Buffy’s face lit up. “She’s here? My baby is here?”

“Yes she is and she’s anxious to see. She also wants to talk to you,” Leroy declared with a smile.

With that he opened the door and waved Krista and Sandi inside. Sandi was a bit reluctant and scared until she saw her mother. Then her face first into a smile and she ran into the open arms of her mommy. The two cried as they hugged. Krista, Pat and Leroy smiled and waited patiently.

Once the initial emotion had spent itself, Buffy sat down and pulled Sandi onto her lap. The smiles on everyone’s face let Buffy know it was okay.

“Mommy,” Sandi began. “You can’t be my mommy anymore but that doesn’t mean I don’t love you. She’s my mommy now and he’s my daddy,” she said as she pointed Pat and Leroy. “And Krista’s my big sister and I really love her. We’d like you to come live with us or at least with the Clan. But you can’t be my mommy, you have to be my Aunt Buffy.”

“Baby, I’d love to come live with you and be your Aunt Buffy,” Buffy sniffled. “But because of what I let happen to you I have to stay here for a long time yet.”

“No you don’t mommy,” Sandi smiled. “The Clan is trying to get you released on something they call payroll and they’ll be in charge of you then.”

Buffy shot a questioning look to Pat and Leroy.

“We’ve started the wheels in motion to get you paroled into the custody of the Clan Wells Point,” Leroy explained. “It’ll take a few weeks to get everything through the state, but Judge Watkins is vouching for us and you and has signed all the necessary paperwork. Once it’s in place the state parole board will hold a hearing. We’ll be there to support you and to accept your parole. Since Judge Watkins is on your side, there should be no issues getting you released. It’ll probably take about two months until everything will makes it’s way through the state legal system.”

“Once you’re paroled, you come to live with the Clan Wells Point,” Pat added. “We’ll provide you with a place to stay and a job. You will not be living in the same home with Sandi but will be in the neighborhood. As she said, you would be considered her aunt while I remain her mother. The question now is can you accept those terms?”

“Yes! Oh God yes,” Buffy explained. “I’ve learned my lesson. I hate this place and I so want to be near Sandi. Baby, I’ll gladly be your Aunt Buffy! I’d live in a chicken coop and shovel the chicken sh... manure if I have to.”

“Well you may have to shovel chicken, horse and cow manure,” Leroy chuckled. “Because a lot of the Clan land is a farm. But that wouldn’t be your only job and I can guarantee you’ll be living in a house not a chicken coop.”

The rest of the visit was spent with Sandi telling Buffy how great her life was with the Clan Wells Point and how she looked forward to having her aunt be there with them. Buffy returned to her cell with a spring in her step and hope in her heart. All thoughts of suicide had been vanquished by hope and love.

Sandi’s birthday party that evening was a great success. The proud little girl could not get done talking about her aunt coming to live with them. Every member of the Clan was happy.

*****

On Sunday Leo put on the light green epoxy coat of paint. As with the primer. The color was flawless and every nook and cranny inside and outside were thoroughly covered. On Monday, February 25, a week after he had requested their help and the day after he’d put the light green coat on the DUKW, Krista and Tony bicycled over to Leo’s collision and repair service after school with the addresses and phone numbers of the two boys in hand,. Quite naturally Leo was stunned by the rapid response and profusely thanked the two teens. Krista and Tony were delighted when Leo showed them the DUKW with the light green paint coat on it. Leo told the duo to come over with the rest of the teens after their evening meals were done on Wednesday and he’d show them how to tape up the behemoth so he could add the next coat of paint.

As Krista and Tony left Leo, it began to drizzle. With youthful self-confidence the duo sped up hoping to beat the coming downpour. They had gone about 700 feet up the Bozman-Neavitt Road when the wind gusted and the light sprinkling turned into a cold blinding downpour.

Misty and Serena had just pulled into their driveway when the sky opened. They saw two bicyclists pedaling up the road in front of the home they rented out and knew they were getting soaked. Misty stopped the car just off the road as Serena rolled down her window. As the frantically pedaling cyclists drew closer she saw they were young teens so she waved.

Tony and Krista were soaked to the bone in less than fifteen seconds and shivered as the cold wind tore at them. Krista saw the car stopped in the driveway with a woman waving at them and pointing up the driveway to the open garage door. While never introduced, she did know the two were friendly neighbors so she yelled at Tony. Tony needed no further encouragement. Upon reaching the driveway they turned in and followed the car sixty feet into the garage. By the time they stopped their teeth were chattering.

Misty and Serena exited the car to see the bedraggled shivering teens. “Park your bikes to the side,” Serena directed as she and Misty opened umbrellas. “Once we get you into the house we’ll get you warmed up and you can call home.”

“Th... thanks,” Krista managed to chatter as she saw the women trying to figure out how to get them all through the downpour to the house with just the two umbrellas. “But if you share your umbrellas with us you’ll get soaked too. Keep yourselves dry and we’ll follow. We can’t get any wetter.”

Serena and Misty instantly knew they liked this feisty girl and nodded their agreement. Misty went back to the car and hooked their shopping bags over her arms as Serena made the dash to the house unencumbered to unlock the door. Misty quickly followed. Once she was inside, Serena waved the teens over.

With Krista in the lead they ran over, stopping inside the kitchen dripping water onto the linoleum covered floor. Serena handed them towels while Misty dumped the shopping bags on the table and pulled a mop and bucket from the closet to sop up the growing puddle around the soaked duo.

“Thank you so much,” Krista spoke once she’d dried her face and hair. “I’m Krista Scott and this is Tony Masters. We’re from the Clan Wells Point.”

“Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you both,” Serena smiled. “We’ve heard a lot about you two, all of it good. I’m Serena Moonflower and this is Misty Dawn. The phone is right behind you so you can call home to let them know you’re safe. And tell them there is no need to hurry to get you. We’ve been meaning to meet you for a while but the chance never came up. I’ll make you some herbal tea to warm you up and chase away the chill.”

Krista called home and Misty spoke with Jane telling her the kids were more than welcome to stay
and asked her to let Tony’s mom know they were safe. Jane had spoken to the women in passing and knew they were good people. Understanding the women wanted to talk to the teens she agreed to letting them stay for supper. Besides, with the way it was pouring waiting made sense.

Misty fetched long terrycloth robes for the teens and told them to go into the bathroom and strip out of their soggy clothes and don the robes. Krista went first, then Tony. Their wet clothes were tossed into the dryer as they sat at the around the table. Supper was a modest salad with kidney beans and shredded cheese, yet even Tony found it was filling. As they ate, the women questioned the teens to learn if the things they’d heard were true or wild rumors. Krista and Tony answered freely and honestly.

Misty and Serena found the frank openness refreshing. When they were finished eating, the women said it was only fair the teens questioned them.

Tony spoke first. “Is it true you were hippies?”

“In many ways we still are,” Misty responded. “The main difference is we’ve matured. Our teen naivety ran headlong into reality. A lot of our peers dropped back into being part of the so called normal society. Some couldn’t handle the disillusionment and burned themselves out on drugs. Too many wound up dead. Some, like us, merged into the New Age movement.”

“I’ve heard of that,” Krista said. “But I’m sure there’s a lot of good in it although most of what I’ve seen is weird.”

“Some of it is weird,” Serena chuckled. “Just like you’ve faced misguided Christians, there are misguided New Agers as well as scam artists. Parts of the New Age movement have been around for two hundred years. It really took off when we counter culture hippies melded in. We drew on both Eastern and Western spiritual and metaphysical traditions, infusing them with influences from self-help and motivational psychology, holistic health, parapsychology, consciousness research and quantum physics".

“Whoa,” Tony exclaimed. “That’s really a lot of melding. But I’m not sure what metaphysical means.”

“Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world,” Misty explained. “Actually it’s hard to define. Traditionally, metaphysics attempts to answer two basic questions in the broadest possible terms: ‘What is there?’ and ‘What is it like?’
“That sounds like you’re trying to explain God,” Krista frowned.

“Yes and no,” Misty smiled. “It uses proven facts and science to explain things, but we only know a tiny fraction. There is a lot we don’t know. Many of us have a difficult time accepting God as the creator. We like the concept of love and doing unto others, but can’t wrap our minds around why a benevolent God would let the tragedies that occur in the world to continue. It doesn’t make sense to us.”

“Believing in God does sound like foolishness to the wisdom of the world,” Krista answered. “But Jesus told us to come to him with open hearts and minds like little children. Often we get too smart for our own good. As for the tragedies that happen, since I believe in God, I must also believe Satan exists. We’ll never understand why God lets Satan do his evil until we get to heaven. But God gives us the strength to endure and if we didn’t have bad we could never appreciate good.”

“You make a good point,” Misty nodded. “But many of us have been burned by the bigotry that seems to be an inherent part of nearly every organized religion. Just look at those ‘Christian’ fanatics who have been protesting you and your friends or the terrorists who engineered 9/11. All too often the goodness of faith is corrupted by humanity. The aim of New Age is to create a spirituality without borders or confining dogmas that is inclusive and pluralistic. It holds to a holistic world view, emphasizing that the Mind, Body and Spirit are interrelated and that there is a unity throughout the universe. It attempts to create a world view that includes both science and spirituality embracing a number of forms of mainstream science as well as other forms of science that are considered fringe. We liked a lot of it but felt it was incomplete. Even the best science can’t explain everything. We felt the need for more spirituality than New Age practices provide but Christianity just didn’t fit us.”

“Maybe you just didn’t find the right kind of Christianity,” Tony said. “Or someone who’s faith was so strong it overflowed into you.”

The women smiled as Tony looked adoringly at Krista who blushed modestly.

“Please don’t misunderstand us,” Serena declared. “We respect the beliefs of others. If believing in Jesus is right for you, we’re glad. All we’re saying is it never fit us and too many self-righteous ‘Christians’ use their ‘faith’ to hate. What we’ve experienced from organized religion has been a major turn off. So we began to explore Wicca.”

Tony’s eyes grew wide. “You’re witches?”

“Again the answer is yes and no,” Misty smiled. “Witchcraft as many think of it does not exist. Wiccans regard the whole cosmos as alive, both as a whole and in all of its parts. Such an organic view of the cosmos cannot be fully expressed and lived without the concept of the God/Goddess. Divinity is the clearest and most powerful level of life, reflecting and spreading itself through all the microcosmic levels. For most Wiccans, the God/Goddess insures the universe is in balance, much like the concept of yin and yang found in Taoism. As such the God/Goddess is often interpreted as being the life-force manifest in nature. Some Wiccans believe that the God/Goddess is simply symbolic of the polarities but many believe that the God/Goddess is a genuine being that exists independently. The divinity of this God/Goddess is often given symbolic association with the Goddess commonly being symbolized as the Earth Mother.”

“But Christianity believes that God exists and is in all living things,” Krista frowned as she thought about what had been said.

“Yes they do, but few think that rocks and air and sea are living,” Misty smiled. “The Clan is trying to go Green to save the environment. Wicca believes the environment is alive and part of the Goddess while doing away with the dogma that stifles Christianity.”

“So is what you’re saying is that at a basic level Wicca and belief in Yahweh are the same,” Krista asked.

“Both beliefs require us as believers to love and honor of the creator,” Misty explained. “Wicca insists we love and honor all of creation. While some Christians, such as your Clan, believe the same thing, most limit their love and honor to their fellow humans, and many fail at doing that.”

“So you’re saying Wicca is better than Christianity,” Krista reasoned.

“I really don’t think one is better than the other,” Misty replied. “The difference comes in how it works for the believer. For you, Christianity is right. For us, Wicca is right. We have no right to say which is better because both are impossible to prove. But being unable to prove something does not mean it’s wrong. Think of our spiritual beliefs like clothing. Each of us wears clothing that fits, serves a purpose and is your style. My clothing is different than yours but that does not mean one of us is wrong.”

“I think I see what you’re saying,” Krista nodded.

“The prime Wiccan ethical teaching is the Wiccan Rede,” Serena said. "’As long as it doesn't harm anyone including yourself and future generations, do whatever you want to.’ A lot of uptight people criticize that for being too permissive. However, the Rede is actually quite demanding because it requires a Wiccan to carefully evaluate all of the effects that each of their decisions have on themselves, other people, future generations, the environment.”

“So you believe in your own version of the Golden Rule,” Krista nodded. “It makes sense. Unfortunately I’ve encountered a lot of self-righteous judgmental Christians so I can see how Christianity might be a turn off. Heck, Christianity is fractured into so many denominations because of internal disagreements. Then if you factor in the different Jewish sects as well as the different Islamic sects, it gets mind boggling. Yet at their very core they all, like Wicca, believe in an unprovable supreme being with a nearly identical Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do onto you. Now that I think about it, since good created us, he knows that what’s right for one person is not necessarily right for another. It’s been humanity that fractured their belief in God into so many segments, yet they all retain the same core. Since God created everything, he’s big enough to cover all the faiths that mankind has splintered from the one true faith. God is so powerful and all encompassing he’s seen to it the core remained intact. It’s human vanity makes us say our particular faith is the right and only way to God.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Tony smiled. “If God were the number 10, I could say my way to reach God is to add 5 + 5, so my way is the right way. Yet you can get to 10 by adding 4 + 6, 7 + 3, 2 + 8, 1 + 9, 2 + 3 + 5, 1 +3 + 6, and so on. They all get the same result so they’re all right.”

“Exactly,” Serena smiled. “Wicca is our way of relating to God. Your way is through your belief, neither of us are wrong. The key is to follow the Golden Rule, love one and other. When we do that we must respect each others faith.”

At that point Jane’s van pulled into the driveway. The four had not even noticed the rain had stopped. Serena welcomed Jane inside and for the first time they formally introduced themselves. Jane joined them at the table for a cup of tea while Serena and Misty told Jane how impressed they were by Krista and Tony. Krista and then Tony changed into their dry clothes as the women talked. The women offered to share their years of organic farming and living experience with the Clan. Of course, it would have to be scaled up, but companion planting, natural fertilization and harvesting techniques/preservation techniques would be similar. Jane and the teens assured the women the Clan would be more than willing to accept their offer and would reciprocate.

After exchanging hugs, Tony and Krista loaded their bikes into the back of Jane’s van and they headed home.

*****

Motivated by finding his grandson Leo decided he wanted to go see him rather than just call.
Leo worked hard to clear two days from his busy calendar. A responsible man he would not cancel or postpone any work he had scheduled. Instead he worked hard to get ahead, managing to clear his schedule for the following Monday and Tuesday.

Just because he was working to clear his schedule Leo didn’t forget the teens were coming over Wednesday night. All the CWP teens were eager to help. Leo was amazed that even Barney and Freddy showed up eager to work. The curmudgeony man was even more surprised when the teens understood his directions and with tape measures and masking tape in hand they quickly had the Tartan design laid out on the hull. After that it was simply a matter of trimming the paper squares and taping them in the proper locations. The entire job took them a bit less than three hours. The next day Leo painted the dark green stripes on the DUKW.

Sunday after lunch the teens once more arrived en masse at Leo’s shop. It only took them a half-hour to strip off the covering paper and tape before they promptly set to work re-taping the monster so Leo could paint the pink stripes. The teens stayed to watch the paint job. They were amazed by how easy Leo made it look as he flawlessly applied the pink epoxy paint.

Late Monday afternoon Brandon was quite stunned when he opened the door to the efficiency apartment to see his grandfather standing there hat in hand. “Gramps! What are you doing here? Don’t tell me dad sent you to...”

“Nobody sent me here,” Leo cut in. “I’ve been worried about you. And before you get upset I don’t give a damn if you’re gay, straight or even purple. You’re my grandson, you’re family. I had no idea what was going on. Yes that’s my fault for being an old curmudgeon. I never went to visit any of my children or grandchildren. I tried to get everyone’s graduation and when I didn’t get an invite for yours I called your parents to find out what was going on. I’ve already let them know exactly what I think about what they done to you. Needless to say I don’t think they’ll be coming to visit me for quite a while. So, will you let an old man inside?”

“Sure Gramps,” Brandon smiled as he held the door open and stepped back. “The place is a bit messy but come on in.”

“I’m used to messy,” Leo huffed as he entered. “Since your grandma passed, my place has been a might messy too.” Sitting before game console Leo saw a nervous young man. “Yep, you’re Gary Jenckes, right?”

“Yes sir,” Gary replied as he stood looking at Brandon and confusion.

“Gary, this is my grandpa, Leonard Kahn,” Brandon introduced still unsure about why his grandfather was there.

“Pleased to meet you Gary,” Leo smiled as he extended his hand. “I understand you two are a couple.”

Gary accepted the proffered hand. The boys were clearly stunned by the frankness and could only nod their heads.

“That’s good,” Leo nodded. “I got nothing against gay people, what I don’t like is promiscuity. Gay or straight makes no difference, if you jump from partner to partner it ain’t no good. Now I ain’t saying I understand people being gay, but I know it’s not a choice. I served with several guys who were gay in Vietnam. They were damn good soldiers and I’d fight beside them any day of the week.”

“Gee Gramps,” Brandon said clearly surprised by his grandfather’s attitude. “After the way mom and dad treated me and Gary, I just never expected you’d be accepting.”

“Well I’m a conservative in many ways,” Leo mused. “But a person’s sexual orientation isn’t one of them. Life is tough enough without having to worry about that. Now how about the three of us go out for a nice steak dinner and get to know each other?”

Leo followed the boys as they led the way, wisely figuring they’d need a bit of time to wrap their minds around the idea that the ‘old man’ was accepting them. When they arrived at an upscale local steakhouse, they asked for a table in a corner. Leo asked the boys if they had any plans for the future. Other than staying together and working for the landscaping company they had no long-term plans. They figured economy was on the verge of a major downturn and they were afraid to go on a limb expense wise.

“How long have you been together,” Leo bluntly asked.

“Since the ninth grade,” Brandon answered. “We knew we were attracted to each other and spoke about it. Together we decided to come out of the closet. It upset a lot of people but since both of us are big guys and on the football team, nobody got physical with us. We left them alone they left us alone. We had our jobs and apartment lined up before we graduated because we knew our parents would throw us out.”

So you’re committed to each other,” Leo queried.

“Yes,” Brandon and Gary answered together as they reached out and held hands.

“I’m glad you’re happy together,” Leo smiled. “Now I’ve got an offer for the two of you. I’m getting on in years, and while I can still run my shop, it gets harder all the time. It’s not the most up-to-date shop but I’d like to see it stay in the family. So there’s two things I’d like you to do but understand the choices are yours and I’ll respect your decision. First, I’d like to send you to Boston for a week at a good hotel. It’s legal for same-sex couples get married in Massachusetts, been so since 2004. I want it to be your honeymoon. That means I’ll expect you to get married since the trip will be a wedding present.”

Brandon and Gary were both surprised by the offer and almost giddy with excitement. They had talked about going to Massachusetts and getting married but had not had the financial wherewithal to do so. “That would be great,” Brandon enthused.

“Good,” Leo smiled. “The second thing I’d like is for you to move in with me after your honeymoon and let me teach you the collision repair business. You both got the size and strength to handle it and you obviously like working with your hands or you wouldn’t be in the landscaping business with recommendations to be recalled in the spring. As you learn the business I’ll step back bit by bit and let you take over. It’s a good career and you can make decent money in it. I don’t want an answer right now on this one. Go home and talk it over then come down to spend this coming weekend. I’ll show you the business and the house then introduce you to some real interesting neighbors I got. You decide not to join me, that’ll be okay too. Either way I’m changing my will this week. Brandon, you’ll get everything when I’m gone.”

“Gramps, I don’t know what to say,” Brandon said obviously surprised.

“No need to say anything now except that you’ll both be down this weekend,” Leo chuckled. “I’ll expect you mid-afternoon on Friday.”

With that Leo paid the bill and left a nice tip. Outside he hugged Brandon and Gary goodbye and got into his old pickup truck and headed home. Leo made the four hundred twenty mile round trip in one day, but he needed the next day to recuperate.

On Wednesday, the CWP teens came over to Leo after supper and stripped off the last batch of tape and paper to reveal the CWP Tartan in all it’s glory. It was clear to Leo the young people were pleased with their work and he let them know that he was pleased also. The next day Leo applied the first epoxy clear coat the DUKW once more doing the inside and outside to perfection.

Brandon and Gary were not sure what to expect when they pulled into Leo’s place on Friday afternoon. Both young men were quite impressed with the Bay Hundred landscape. It had been four years since Brandon had last been to his grandparents home, and that had been a sad time because it was for the funeral of his grandmother. As they drove in Brandon began remembering the landscape and the many coves and inlets. They even passed a small flock of wild turkeys as they drove down the Bozman-Neavitt Road.

*****

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful Chapter

It's good to see somebody represented that is conservative without being a bigot. A very well-written chapter!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Odyssey III Chapter 12

Wonder if Buffy will find a boyfriend in the Clan?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Maybe

Im guessing Uncle Ben.

Bekah

There is a crucial difference between Christianity

and Judaism and other religions and it is the concept of original sin.

The religion imposes a guilt on merely being born! Think about it, a religion invented by Jewish boys and mothers, so what do you expect ;-) The guilt thing, oy vey! I do not need to be 'redeemed' like a coupon. Sorry.

What is correct is that Wicca is more demanding of personal acts and one is judged solely by actions as only through actions does one influence the universe; respect the environment, stewardship of the planet etc. Whereas, in Christianity, if I recall my former pasture, you can of course only be correct with the Deity if you are forgiven for your 'sins' and made right through JC, no matter if you had lived a blameless life. A hardened criminal who has killed many times over, even old Adolf can be forgiven for their sins if you merely accept JC.

I found it insane and have not cared about it since.

Kim

Your point is all too true

True Christianity is the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Everything else is clutter. Faith is belief in God, a one on one relationship. Faith is God reaching out to us. For me Christianity is a good fit. THe problem with Christianity is religion. Religion is MAN making rules to limit God. Religion is the work of Satan to corrupt faith.

I've been teaching the confirmation class in my church for the last 5 years. I teach FAITH and condemn religion. I feel I teach what Jesus really said, not what man wanted to hear. Jesus said
(New International Version) "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." A childs faith and belief is true, honest and heart felt. They have not been corrupted by the world. Our faith must be simple. There is nothing complicated about faith. Religion is nothing but complications. The problem with many so-called Christians is they are so religious they lose sight of their faith.

I believe God, in whatever form you can accept, as the creater, is big enough for all faiths of goodness, including Wicca. God knows whats in our soul and understands how religion can be a major stumbling block. Be a good person to the earth and all in it. That is what God wants. I don't think he really cares how we do it.

Jennifer Sue

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

I find myself liking Gramps.

I find myself liking Gramps. He is a plain spoken person and he says what he means and stands by it. He is also very welcoming of his grandson and his life partner. Glad he has pulled them into his life at Wells Point.