Lily's Magic : Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
Lily's Magic

by:
Elsbeth


Braden learns that his grandmother's stories might be true.

pixie.png

Chapter 1

The smell of diesel filled the crisp afternoon air as the familiar yellow school bus pulled out of James Barnes Middle School. Thirteen-year-old Emma Andersen looked over her seat to stare at the back of Braden Magrath’s red haired head. She found herself doing this more and more lately.

“I’m going to sit next to Braden.” Emma told her best friend Samantha.

“You’re not supposed to get up while the bus is moving.” Samantha frowned. “Also what do you see in him? He’s pretty weird.”

Emma turned and smiled. “I don’t know.”

Waiting until the bus stopped to let off the first group of students Emma shuffled down the aisle until she reached Braden. She found him intently reading a worn copy of ‘Le Morte d'Arthur’. Most of the other boys, if they read at all, were only interested in books where the superhero fought crime in his underwear.

“That’s an old book.” Emma quickly sat down as the bus began to move.

He had a slight Irish accent, which gave Emma goose bumps whenever he talked. “It was my mom’s.” Braden smiled sadly. Braden’s mother and older sister had been killed in a car wreck over the summer.

Feeling bad about bringing something up that was painful, Emma asked. “So did you decide what to read for the book report?”

He looked at her and smiled, pointing to the book in his hand. The young girl put her hand to her mouth and giggled. Why was she always so nervous around Braden? Were his eyes always so green?

“So what are you two girls talking about?” Dylan Thompson commented with as much nastiness in his voice as possible.

“Shut up, Dylan, must you always be a jerk?” Emma turned around and gave him a nasty look. Emma knew that Dylan liked her but she would never be interested in someone like him. Suddenly she felt cold realizing she might have just done a terrible thing to Braden.

Zinnia set down her spear and looked around the small field. “Where did that silly girl go?”

“Sorry Mrs. Bunny, I didn’t mean to disturb you.” Spotting the white haired Pixie, Zinnia realized that her friend had somehow fallen down a rabbit hole. Quickly rushing to white haired Pixie’s aid Zinnia managed to grab the fallen Pixie by her arms pulling her up and out of the burrow right on the heels of a very angry rabbit.

“You’re lucky it wasn’t a badger.” A score of Pixies had been hunting Bog Lemmings all day. Not that any of the Pixies were planning to eat the creatures but certain members of the Unseelie court would use the Lemmings as spies or messengers.

“Sorry, Zinnia.” Lily pouted wiping the mud from her dress.

Zinnia giggled. Lily was the most accident prone Pixie in the clan but it was hard to stay mad at her. However before she could say anything to her, Lily was up in the air again heading for a human road.

“Lily, what’s so important over here?” Standing on top of a wooden fence the pair of Pixies watched as two small human children knock around a third child.

“Zinnia, when did we become a swear word?”

The pink haired Pixie looked confused.” Swear word?”

“They called him a fairy, like it was a bad word.” Lily looked upset.

Sighing Zinnia reached for her fiend’s hand. “Come on Lily, there is nothing we can do here.”

“But it’s not fair, two against one.” Suddenly the fight was over and two of the children ran off leaving the third crying in the dirt.

“Go ahead, Lily, you’re going to do it anyway.”

Lily grinned then lifted off flying quickly towards the prone child. Covered in mud, the child lay on the ground silently weeping while clutching a torn book. Guessing it was a male child Lily walked up his arm and reached over to kiss him on the cheek helping to heal the injuries.

As Lily flew away, she heard the boy say. “Go raibh maith agat.”

Braden made his way into the kitchen dropping off his pack on the floor and pulling out the torn book. He stared at the two halves for a second before reaching for the trashcan, then stopped. With a roll of scotch tape in hand he climbed the stairs and into his room. He was still confused what he saw above him while he lay in the dirt. Did he imagine it? Memories of when he was a small child living with his grandmother in Ireland came back to him. Not all her stories could have been true. Could they?

After a bath and a change of clothes, Braden sat on his sister’s bed and attempted to fix his mother’s book. The dirt-covered boy who had ascended the stairs bore no relation to the young girl that sat on the bed. A little make-up expertly applied, his hair put up in silver barrettes Braden looked more like his sister. After she was killed in that horrible car crash, Braden started to dress in her old clothes. At first, the boy felt that he was honoring his sister, trying to keep her memory alive. Now, only when dressed as a girl did the day’s pain go away. It was as if a bright light went off in his head. When Braden watched the girls in his class walk by, thoughts of how pretty they looked mixed with how much he wanted to be one of them.

Wearing his sister’s clothes was bound to come to some sort of confrontation with his father. However when his father finally caught him he didn’t say a word. The boy was sure his father decided it was his son’s way of coping with his mother’s and sister’s death, maybe it was but it was less destructive than his father’s method.

“Someone tear the book.” A slurred voice barked from the bedroom door.

Braden didn’t look up, it was going to take a little work but he wasn’t going to throw the book away. “You said you were going to stop drinking.”

“Braden don’t tell me what do to boyo; you’re not your mother.” His father laughed taking a long sip from a bottle of Scotch.

“It’s Breyana, daddy.” Braden asked his father to call him Breyana when he was dressed as a girl. He didn’t want to be Braden dressed as a girl, he wanted to be Breyana.

His dad eyed his son then shook his head. All of this should have been stopped long ago. Taking a long sip from the bottle, he grumbled. “Hell, I’m no longer sure I have a son anymore...cailá­n á¡lainn...doesn’t matter.” Braden might make a pretty girl but he was sure it was going to end soon anyway. The boy was almost too big for his sister’s clothes. One long growth spurt and it would be over.

Braden looked up as his father’s voice changed again. “Daddy?” His moods were getting worse, darker.

“Won’t stop...dress like you want boyo…you can’t fool them...she wants you too.” His father whispered before sliding to the floor. “Molly help me to bed, your mother will be home soon.”

Molly was his sister’s name. “OK daddy, come on.”

Bria sat back on the kitchen counter a half smile on her lips. She would have loved to see Lily fall into that rabbit hole. She was such trouble sometimes. “Are you positive? You said you thought the child was a boy.”

Zinnia nodded. “I thought as well but no boy child could have seen us but he did say thank you.”

“I thought he was a boy.” Lily squirmed. She didn’t exactly break the rules by healing the human child but she could tell Bria wasn’t pleased. “It was hard to tell since he was covered in so much dirt.”

“I guess it could have been a girl coming into her power.” Zinnia reflected it had been easier a hundred of years ago, when you were sure the human in a dress was female.

Lily looked confused. “Do boy’s beat up girls?”

The leader of the Pixies did not have an answer to that one. Humans were a mystery to them most of the time. “Zinnia, why don’t you keep an eye on this child.”

“Send Lily.” A voice interrupted the discussion as a sleepy looking Princess came into the kitchen. Rubbing her eyes, she reached into the refrigerator for a small carton of milk. Bria knew that her Highness had just returned after a long night of playing Arbitrator between two clans of grouchy Knockers. (Knockers were Fae miners that could be either malevolent or helpful to their norm counterparts depending on how they were treated)

“Lily, you heard Her Highness.” The clan leader smiled; at least there was a chance Lily wouldn’t be falling down any rabbit holes anytime soon.

Braden pulled the garbage can to the curb, it was a long trip and he was glad he only had to do it once a week. The old house his parents bought with his father’s inheritance was a joy for the entire family. He knew his Irish grandmother would have liked the house they bought. Because of his mother’s job, they had been bounced all around the world but his parents decided to stay in one place finally. Maybe if they had still moved around his mother and sister would still be alive. Braden pushed that thought aside, brooding on such things just made things worse. The young boy looked down the street wondering why the bus was late. His father was known for his imaginative paintings and drawings but since his mother’s death, he had done little work. “Hopefully dad will sell more of his work.”

“I too would like to see more of his work.”

A voice startled the boy. He didn’t even remembering speaking aloud. Standing on the other side of the road was an old woman, leading two small black dogs. “Hi, Mrs. Stiles.” Braden didn’t like the widow, he didn’t know why. Before the summer, she had been very nice coming by and visiting with his mom but now she seemed different.

“Braden, your father told me that you might help me this evening. I need a strong looking boy like you to lift some things in my house.”

Braden nodded entering the woman’s house was the last thing he wanted to do. Calling him, a strong looking boy was also a bit much. “If dad said it was OK, how about after dinner.” Maybe he could talk his father out of helping Mrs. Stiles.

“Good then I look forward to seeing you this evening.” Thankfully, the school bus arrived at that moment.

Lily was confused, in truth, she was often but this time it was for a reason. It took some time but she finally found him at school. Braden was a boy, well she was sure of it for the most part, but it still didn’t feel right. Following the child down a flight of stairs, she noticed him walk into one of the unused boys bathrooms. Slipping inside before the door could close; she took a seat on top of one of the florescent lights. Lily sighed, why did the Princess give her this job? She was only going to mess it up as she did everything else. Still it was her job.

“So you’re a boy.”

Braden almost jumped out of his skin, here was this white hair twelve-inch tall girl with wings standing on the sink next to him. What he found strange was she was wearing the same outfit Susan Jacobson wore in class today. “Oh, hello.” Finishing washing his hands he found some paper towels to dry them off. “You’re from yesterday right? I am a boy but why do you ask?”

Lily made a face. “Well male children shouldn’t be able to see us? You can see me now because I’m allowing you. You’re not of the old blood or are you a different Unseen.”

“Unseen?”

“Oh sure, Vampires, Weres and the like…you don’t come from a Witch family do you.” She leaned closer. “I feel something…you’re different…maybe that’s why I’m confused.”

Vampires, Were and Witches too Braden was wondering if he had snapped. Maybe this was a dream but something inside told him it was real. A new world was opened up before him. The young boy suddenly felt very excited. Talking to a Pixie, his grandmother would have been so jealous. “I don’t think so, I mean if my mom was a Witch I would know about it, right?”

“I guess.” Lily’s eyes opened wide she just realized she brought this boy into a world he shouldn’t know anything about. “Oh no, I messed up.”

“Why?” Braden smiled, he was beginning to like this little Pixie.

“You’re not supposed to know anything about the Unseen, unless you are one them of course. Bria’s going to kill me.” Lily plopped down on the sink her face in her hands.

“Who’s Bria?”

“My Clan Chief.”

“Do you think if I spoke to her it would help?” Braden had no clue what he was going to say of course but it didn’t seem fair that Lily was going to get in trouble. “I mean I already knew about all of this.”

Lily looked up unshed tears on her eyes. “Really?”

“My grandmother used to tell me stories about the Fae all of the time.”

“Hearing stories and knowing it’s real isn’t the same thing.” Lily smiled sadly. “Can I stay with you for a while? I won’t cause any problems.”

Braden nodded, he could remember not wanting to go home when he was in trouble.” You’ll have to tell her eventually.”

Lily flew up and landed on Braden’s shoulder. Leaning against him, she said. “I know.”

“Well what do we have here, if it’s not the little girly girl.” Dylan Thompson and another boy entered the bathroom. Braden cursed, he picked this particular bathroom so he could stay away from the pair.

“You’re going to get in trouble you know. Fighting in school will get you expelled.”

Dylan laughed. “You’re stupid, my dad’s on the School Board.” The two boys never touched Braden. As soon as they stepped forward, something slammed against them hard sending them both to the ground.

“I hate bullies.” Lily growled.

Braden ran passing the two moaning boys and out the bathroom door. He was sure they wouldn’t say anything. Getting their butts kicked by Braden wouldn’t look good and maybe he would now be left alone.

Lily and Braden sat by themselves on the bus. During class, he was afraid that everyone would see the twelve-inch tall girl on his shoulder but no one seemed to notice.

“Who is that, Braden?” Lily whispered in his ear. “The girl in the blue and white dress.”

Braden looked forward. “Oh that’s Sofia Teague. She’s in Mrs. Simpson’s class.” He wondered why Lily asked until he found that Sofia kept looking over her shoulder at him.

“Who are you talking to, Braden?” Emma asked from behind him.

“Oh no one.”

Emma giggled then prepared to changed seats when the bus stopped but was surprised when Sofia Teague moved back to sit next to Braden. Why was she talking to him? She wasn’t even in their class. Fuming, she had to listen to her flirt with Braden for the rest of the bus ride.

Stepping off the bus, he waved to Sofia then cringed when he saw Emma’s face. He didn’t know why Sofia was being so friendly. He did like the dress she was wearing but he was too afraid to ask her where she had bought it.

“You want to come home with me?”

“Can I?” Lily hovered in front of him.

Braden laughed. “Oh course.” As he thought, Dylan and his crony didn’t even look at him as they all got off the bus. Over all it was a pretty good day. Unfortunately, his luck changed as soon as he walked through the door.

“Braden, go over to Mrs. Stiles now. “His father stood in the kitchen. “I need you here later.”

“You don’t look too good.” Braden dropped off his books and walked over to his father. “You need to lie down.” His father’s skin had an ashen color to it that was making him nervous. Braden wanted to see if Lily might be able to check out his father but he didn’t think it would be right to ask. “Maybe I should call an ambulance?”

His father shook his head. “No don’t, we really don’t have the money. Let me rest here. Go help her out and come right home.”

“OK, but don’t go anyplace. Stay on the couch.” Braden hadn’t even had a chance to take off his jacket. “I’ll help Mrs. Stiles and be right back.” Braden thought that he might even ask her to come over. He might feel uncomfortable around her but she was another adult.

“So we help out Mrs. Stiles and come right back.” Braden was talking more to himself than Lily. He was very worried about his father.

“I might be able to do something.” Lily said hesitantly.

“You’ll get in trouble again won’t you? Let’s see what Mrs. Stiles says first. Maybe he just needs a good night sleep.” Braden thought it was more serious but he couldn’t go there. He already lost his mother and sister, if he lost his dad. Tears started to roll down his eyes.

“We’ll make sure he is OK, right.” Lily hugged Braden’s neck. She didn’t want to him to be upset. She was already in trouble, what’s a little more.

Walking down the path, he found his neighbor standing at the front of her house. “Hi Mrs. Stiles, can you take a look at my dad. I think he’s pretty sick, but he won’t let me call an ambulance.”

“It would be my pleasure. “ The look of understanding and sympathy on the old woman’s face immediately changed to anger.

“Braden run, she isn’t what she appears.” Lily screamed.

“What’s the rush?” Braden couldn’t move as Mrs. Stiles walked towards him. Her eyes had changed to the color of the blackest night and they held him in place. “Ignore her dear boy. She just wants what you have. Did you think she was your friend?”

“Run away.” Lily was almost in tears. “Stay away you…hag.”

Mrs. Stiles cackled. “Oh no stupid little girl, they are both mine, not yours.” She smiled; Braden was horrified to see that her teeth were now as sharp as shark’s teeth. Something inside him suddenly broke the hold on him and he started to run.

“Into the forest!” Lily followed close behind. The Pixie took one quick look back and watched at the Hag lifted her skirt and beneath it two huge black hounds emerged.

“Bring him back, my pets.”

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!!!

Two Dark Realms stories posted in one day! :D

Now I'm off to read this one, just wanted to say thanks for posting. ;)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Yeesh...

Put the poor kid through the wringer, why don't ya? xP (JK)

Anyway, it's a good start for the story. Being this early, I have no idea what's going on, but I do expect it to be rather entertaining to watch this story unfold.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Cool

Good start...fun chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Lily's Magic : Chapter 1

Waiting for more

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Glad your liking the story, more on its way :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

wow

cool im sitting on the edge of my chair
just wow


ed

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Glad your liking the story, thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

O.O

revolution's picture

Two Words: Epic Start!

Thanks

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, more action to follow :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Thanks

Elsbeth's picture

But wait there's more, :) Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Lily's brilliant!

It sounds as though she stumbles from one disaster to another, unintentionally creating havoc wherever she goes... and now she's found herself with what seems on the surface to be an easy mission, but is steadily growing more complex.

It wouldn't surprise me if Braden does have Fae heritage himself, given that (a) he can see and interact with Lily, and (b) the fact Mrs. Stiles (presumably no relation to the Ravencrest family!) was interested in him.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thanks for reading

Elsbeth's picture

Lily can be a bit disastrous...fun but disastrous

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Great things that-

go well with each other; Bumbling fairies that mean well; magical forests; and a child in trouble.

Very nice!
hugs
Grover

All very true

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks for reading!

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I get the impression the neighbor killed his mom & sister and...

is sickening the dad. Though the alcohol isn't helping.

That mom was close to her and only after her death did the boy find something odd about the neighbor makes me wonder if this one is a doppelganger. IE she replaced the nice old woman with herself. But why? Did she sense the boy's hidden Fey/unseen heritage and thus plot to kill his family to isolate him, then take him in as the kindly neighbor and steal his powers or make him her minion?

As to his Fey heritage, seems almost certain. But is he male or female? Does he just miss his mom and sister or is his destiny to be a girl? I think grandma knew he/she would turn Fey eventually or why tell him so much about the Fey and apparently accurate stuff, not just fables.

Since Pixies have such strong magic can they become temporarily human enough to breed with them? That would explain his odd, not yet know nature/powers.Was Grandma a Fey or her husband?

Or will Lily in helping them to escape say, turn him into a fellow pixie so they can fly away from the demon hounds but then he gets stuck as a woman?? Lily is sweet and powerful with her magic but a bit of a ditz.

Wild spec on my part.

Love to see where this goes.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Wild spec on my part.

Elsbeth's picture

Like the wild spec though , glad your liking the story. Lets see how close you are :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Good story so far

Like John above me, I suspect that Mrs Styles killed Braden's mother and sister and is poisoning his father. I also believe like John does that the Hag killed the real Mrs Styles and is impersonating her to get closer to the Magrath's.
It also does look possible that there might be Fae and/or Witch blood in Braden's blood-line, I am not sure which side of the family though. His father is by all account's very artistic so he might possibly be a Dud and his heritage shows through his artistic talent.

Now I need to go off and add a whole bunch of new stuff to my Gazetteer...

Duds

Enemyoffun's picture

It doesn't really work that way. Duds are duds, completely unimpressive actually....just like a Norm. They get no special talents whatsoever from the witch blood flowing in their veins.

Unless

Unless they changed to female Right..........
Blessed Be
Love and Hugs
Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

Love the Gazetteer

Elsbeth's picture

Glad your liking the story, all good ideas :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Never fails

Whenever I read a story with the old trope of a kindly old woman turning out to be an evil so and so it never fails to scare the stuffing out of me :P

Kim

Better to see you my dear

Elsbeth's picture

The whole evil grandma thing :) Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Re-read this chapter

Now I am positive that Braden's father knows all about the Fae and believes in them from this quote. “Won’t stop...dress like you want boyo…you can’t fool them...she wants you too.” His father whispered before sliding to the floor. “Molly help me to bed, your mother will be home soon.” This tells me that Mr Magrath knows exactly what Mrs Styles is but is presently too weak to fend her off.

I am also fairly sure that if Braden is of an Unseen blood-line it is through his father. The house they presently live in was purchased via Mr Magrath's inheritance from his Irish mother. The grandmother that used to tell Braden the stories about the Fae.

Wonderful Story

I can't wait for more.
Joani

Lily's Magic

Ok, you got me hooked especially after reading the first three chapters

Richard

Go raibh maith agat

May you have a thousand good things, as well, good story.
Blessed Be
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

Yikes!

Diesel Driver's picture

Hags are bad! Hags with hounds, double bad!! Great lead in and happy, giggly beginning turning dark for a nice cliff hanger.

Chris

Eeeeeeek!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Run Breyana, run!

>i< ..:::