Double Trouble in SPA Chapter 5 of 8

Printer-friendly version


Double Trouble in SPA

By BB
Chapter 5 of 8

A pair of twins cause headaches at Hayfield Hall.

An unauthorised story set in the SPA Universe created by Karen Page. These events are intended to take place one year after the events described in “A New Style of Education.” Reading that story first is essential.

Note: This story assumes the counselling team at Hayfield Hall does not change significantly as a result of events yet to be revealed in Karen's story.

Chapter 5

Alice’s face dropped as she stared at the screen. It was showing a picture of Peter’s face and all of his details, including his name: Jason Arthur Fallow (aka Peter Fallow)

Then she pouted.

“Your computer’s broken. Somebody entered the data wrong. I’m Alice. I don’t care what your stupid computer says.”

Keith raised his eyebrows and looked at Alice.

“You’re certainly Alice today, I can see that,” said Keith.

She turned and flounced back to the sofa where she dropped into the sofa and crossed her arms, glaring angrily back at Keith.

Keith looked at Peter and pointed at the scanner. “Peter, would you please …?”

Peter stood without making any fuss whatsoever. He walked over to the desk, put his eye to the scanner and then returned to slump on the sofa without even bothering to look at the screen.

As Keith expected, the screen was now displaying the details and photo of Jordan Brodie Fallow (aka Alice Fallow).

Keith smiled and went back to the seat.

“Well, I guess that clears up one thing, anyway. Thank-you for taking part in our Mix Up Monday. Congratulations, by the way. You managed to fool all of us with your switch. I guess the joke’s on us.”

Alice frowned and looked like she was about to say something. Peter nudged her and she closed her mouth. The two sat and looked at Keith with blank faces.

"I must say," said Keith, "that I'm very impressed. Your performance today has been immaculate. You didn't merely swap your clothing and change your hair, you also mimicked each other's actions and normal behaviours almost perfectly. You even answered my questions the way your sibling would have done so."

Keith stopped and shook his head.

“You are both far too good at this. I can’t believe this is the first time you’ve switched with each other. How many times have you done this before?”

They both looked at each other and then looked back at Keith with blank faces.

“Okay,” said Keith. “Let me do it this way.” He looked at Peter. “Alice?”

“Yes?” said Alice.

“No, I mean the real Alice!” said Keith.

“I am the real Alice,” said Alice.

“You aren’t helping,” said Keith. “We just showed on the computer that you aren’t the real Alice.”

“And she told you that the computer was wrong,” said Peter.

“Wait, I’m confused. I was with you on the day you arrived here and we put those scans into the system. Are you saying that on the day you arrived at the school that you, Peter, was dressed as Alice and that you, Alice, was dressed as Peter?”

“We never …” Alice’s face crumpled. “You don’t understand.”

Keith leaned back and looked bewildered.

“What don’t I understand? Please help me.”

“Alice would never dress up like a boy,” said Peter. “We told you that before.”

“And Peter doesn’t want to look like a girl,” added Alice as she blotted away some tears with a tissue.

“Alice has always been Alice,” said Peter.

“Peter has never dressed up like this,” said Alice, waving her hand down at herself.

Keith scratched his head. At first he’d thought that the twins were playing a typical twin-type practical joke. But now he was starting to think that something more was going on. His every instinct was telling him that his young charges were being honest with him. They were telling him the truth as well as they could explain it. The only problem was that the truth wasn’t making any sense. They were contradicting themselves and each other nearly every time they opened their mouths but they seemed to believe that everything they said was the absolute truth.

“Wait! Which of you was born Jordan Brodie Fallow?”

The two twins looked at each other and then gradually their bodies seemed to crumple slightly as they pulled in closer to each other. Finally Alice raised a shaking hand. Then tears started to trickle down her face.

Keith looked at Peter. “So that would make you Jason Arthur Fallow?”

Peter burst into tears and nodded.

“Jason, how many times have you been Alice?”

For a moment Keith didn’t think he was going to get any answer. He watched as Peter used his sleeve to wipe the tears from his face.

“More than once?” asked Keith. Peter looked miserable and nodded.

“More than ten times?” asked Keith. The two twins nodded together — tears running down both of their faces.

Peter wiped his face again.

“Every second day,” said Peter in a quavery little child’s voice.

Keith’s jaw dropped.

“Every second day? For how long? Since you arrived here at the school?”

They both shook their heads. Tears streaming down their faces.

“Since before you came here?”

They both nodded.

“Since when, then?”

They didn’t respond.

Keith’s eyes widened in shock. “Since the fire?”

Again they didn’t respond. They simply kept looking at Keith with tears streaming down their faces.

“Are you telling me that for the last five years, the two of you have been alternating every day between Peter and Alice?”

The two of didn’t even acknowledge the question. They clutched onto each other and started sobbing.

Keith leaned back in his chair and stared at the two crying boys in amazement.

"Well!" he said quietly to himself. "I didn't see that one coming."

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Double Trouble in SPA Chapter 5 of 8

WOW! These two really do live Mix up Monday in spades!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I don't understand the

I don't understand the computer said that Jason is supposed to be peter, and when he asks who was born as jason, it was peter who raised his hand, even though the computer tought Alice was peter? which just would say, the computers rong, roght? Then how did Keith come to that conclusion?

can someone explain it to me, I'm getting everything mixed up here?

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

When they were enrolled, the

When they were enrolled, the school believed that Jordan was presenting as Alice (fulltime) so on the day the twins arrived they took Alices photo and thumb print and retina scan and typed in "Jordan". The twins obviously chose not to point out that it was Jason presenting as Alice on enrollment day. Today, Jason is presenting as Peter but his retina scan returns "Jordan/Alice" because that is the name attached to his retina scan on the computer file.

I know its confusing. I had to make a chart to figure out how to do it.

BB

okay, now I can follow!

okay, now I can follow! ^^

now I just wonder why, with what they're saying it's almost if their souls keep switching around...

"I didn't see that one coming."

neither did I. But what does it mean? I hope they can get help, I get the feeling this is a lot more serious than I thought ...

DogSig.png

Whoa...that was unexpected

Jamie Lee's picture

Wow, that'll twist a person's mind inside out. Five years, every other day, and they switch identies. So who was Keith interviewing on that day? Peter as Alice or Alice as Peter?

Wonder how the staff will handle this one?

Others have feelings too.