Special Girls - Musicals of the Fifties

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Genre: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

bbc1.jpg

  

Broadway musicals in the fifties were very popular; so much so that they eclipsed some of the more esoteric yet creative musicals just a tad off Broadway... Here are but a few that we've included in our latest coffee table book, Special Girls: Musicals of the Fifties...Special Forward by Dame Susie Heywood

* * *

1957’s top musical - Two girls from different walks of life…one born Alice Mayfield in Colton; the other born Aaron Goldstein in West Covina…whose worlds collide at a drug store on Sunset Boulevard

west hollywood.jpg

 

West Hollywood Story
* * *

 

1955 greeted the debut of a new musical. Set in Chicago, it’s the story of a Sergeant Major in the Salvation Army who wants to spend time with his girlfriend in the girl’s dormitory...

dolls.jpg

 

Dolls and Dolls
* * *

1957 also saw the opening of a story about a traveling saleswoman who wins the heart of a transvestite librarian.

music girl.jpg

 

The Music Girl
* * *

In 1956, an all time favorite made its debut. Set in Birmingham in 1947, it’s the story of a trans-man vocal coach who falls in love with a trans-woman singer from Wembley...

my fair ladyboy.jpg

 

My Fair Lady-boy
* * *

1956 saw the debut of the story of a girl who finds that her boyfriend is a boy with something less, and she likes it!

TMHT.jpg

 

The Most Happy Trans-Fella
* * *

In 1953 Broadway greeted the story of Joe Hardy, a long suffering fan of the Fort Wayne Daisies of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League. He makes a pact with Satan in order to see his Daisies win the league championship with hilarious results.

damn hankies.jpg

 

Damn Hankies
* * *

In 1953, eyebrows raised over the debut of this musical about a Domme and her Femme-boy servant.

Once upon a Maitresse.jpg

 

Once Upon a Maá®tresse
* * *

In 1957, this musical wowed them with the story of two transgirls forced to stay overnight in a town with no vacancies while the local garage replaced their master cylinder.

call me a mechanic.jpg

 

Call Me a Mechanic
* * *

And finally, who can forget this musical from 1955? Two diplomats seek safe passage, support and surgery and maybe even nice American husbands as trans-refugees.

Nylon Stockings.jpg 

Nylon Stockings
* * *
Available at Amazon, of course, as well as Barbarella-Alison Publishers, LTD.
up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you ,'Drea and Kristine.

Beautifully done,so clever,and it brought back so many memories.
It really is a pleasure to be your publicist:)!

ALISON

Fun

KristineRead's picture

HI Drea,

Bet you never planned on a "Lennon & McCartney" relationship when you started our "partnership"

I will never object to being paired with one of your fun stories.

Hugs,

Kristy

Ah, the memories!

Drea,

Thank you :)
`
Many years ago in a theater miles and miles away....
`
When I was young, I was introduced to live theater by the simple expediency of my cousin, a member in a local theater group, telling my mom, "You simply MUST let her join our ensemble group. I wasn't really given much choice, and my folks needed the money, so at the age of 11 I began to "tread the boards."
`
Over the next 7 years I appeared in Sound of Music, did the sound track for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and might have been in "South Pacific." The trouble with "South Pacific" was the role I'd been cast in was female. Not such a good thing around my Dad; though I assure you, I was all for it.
`
Back to the here and now...
`
Musical theater has always been something special too me. Can you tell me where to have my agent send my portfolio???
`
Thank you, this one was fun!
Hugs and Blessings,
Beth

Interesting parody of the more famous musicals on

Broadway. I wonder what the producers of those musicals would think of this picture story? Thank you 'Drea for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

fun stuff, sis

thanks for the giggle.

DogSig.png

How did I miss these gems???

Ole Ulfson's picture

I was heavily involved in the school chorus and appeared in many musicals and operettas whilst in school, but alas I was a baritone by the seventh grade. As such I always got stuck with the male lead or the villain: Good parts to be sure, but not the one I wanted! They always refused me the female lead.

Damn,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

And in straight movies

The Hungry Games, about a tg girl who saves her society.

--A Reader

Promotion is usually welcome

At last! Elevation to the peerage. Next, I'll be meeting the queen....

Oh sorry, I did. He looked absolutely darling in a long, white, off-the-shoulder gown; I was so jealous. And those legs....

Dame Susan Heywood, WC and chain, bar and spritzer.

Five Damn Hankies

joannebarbarella's picture

All needed to wipe away the tears of laughter. Are you sure you're not Andrea Lola DiMaggio?,

Joanne