Somewhere Else Entirely -54-

Printer-friendly version

Life in Dekarran for Garia initially consists, as might be expected, of demonstrations, councils and conferences. She begins to adapt to the routine of daily life in the castle. One new experience is to take in the view from the top of the King's Tower... During this event a simple touch causes her to question what it is to be a woman.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

54 - View from the top


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"As you say, Sire," Gilbanar said. He was speaking in his official persona so, since they were in the stables surrounded by guardsmen and officials, he addressed his brother by his rank. He continued, "While I do not discount what Lady Garia has just explained, I would like to hear the experiences of one who has used both the old and the new saddles and gear. Commander, if you would?"

"Your Grace," Feteran agreed with a slight bow. "When milady first described the saddle her people used to me I admit I was not initially impressed. As you are all aware, there are many different saddle arrangements in use throughout Alaesia. Indeed, saddle designs vary from this end of the Valley to the other so I considered this to be but a variation no different than any other. This is true, in fact. What makes such a big difference, Your Grace, a difference which gains my instant and total approval of the saddle, is the placement of both the saddle and the stirrups."

Feteran gestured to his own frayen which stood patiently in front of the assembled officers.

"The saddle is wider, shorter and deeper than our own, and is placed much further forward on the beast's back. This seeming small adjustment, I am told, makes the saddle much more comfortable to the beast since it is closer to the shoulders. The weight is carried more nearly by the front legs, rather than being placed on the spine between front and rear legs. In addition, the stirrups are placed underneath the rider, instead of being well in front and merely a way to support the rider's legs out of the way. These slight adjustments make a profound difference in the relationship between beast and rider and make a control possible I would not have believed previously."

Gilbanar frowned. "In what way, Commander?"

"It is difficult to explain, Your Grace. Instead of being merely a beast of burden, to transport the rider from one place to the next and to carry him in or out of battle, the frayen becomes... almost a partner of the rider. He is much more responsive to my instructions and sometimes even anticipates what I wish him to do. He will do his best to ensure that I remain on his back and we place a level of trust in one another I would not have with many men. It is a true partnership, Your Grace."

"I see."

Gilbanar was silent for a time, then turned to Garia.

"These stirrups of yours. I see they are made of brass. Since the production of such items involves time and effort which a simple loop would not, there must be advantages, milady. Shall you explain?"

"Your Grace," Garia said. "The loops of leather will wear the soles of boots since the bottom of the loop is not flat. They will also be less comfortable to the rider on long journeys."

He nodded thoughtfully. "As you say." He grinned at her. "Now, milady, you may answer a question I have pondered ever since I first saw you ride. You are so small, how ever do you get aboard your beast?"

She grinned back. "That's easy, Your Grace. I have to use an additional piece of harness your men will not need." She turned towards Tord, who stood holding Snep's reins. "Here, Snep."

Garia nodded to Tord and he dropped the reins, much to Gilbanar's surprise. Snep turned, looked at Tord, then turned to Garia and began walking across the long, vaulted stable chamber towards her. When he reached her she slipped him a treat and moved to his left side, reaching up to the saddle.

"Here, Your Grace," she pointed. "I have an extra loop of leather fixed here which is usually kept tucked across the back and down the other side."

With a finger she pulled the mounting loop out and down. Opening the loop, she lifted her right leg and put her boot into the loop before grasping the two saddle handles and pulling herself up. She lifted her left leg up and found the stirrup, then swung her right foot over Snep's back and down to find the right stirrup. She lifted the mounting loop back up and stowed it before twitching her skirt to flow smoothly over the saddle and cover everything. Looking down, she smiled at Gilbanar.

"Your Grace, that is how I do it."

"So I see, milady, and how smoothly it is that you do it!" He grinned at her, a little shamefacedly. "I'm almost afraid to admit, milady, especially in front of mixed company, that I was able to see what you wear underneath your skirts. Is this to be expected?"

Garia grinned back. "Your Grace, you did not see anything that would compromise a woman's modesty." She pulled her skirt up to reveal her leather-patched breeches. "These serve more than one function, since they protect my modesty, prevent the saddle chafing and, uh, protect everything from certain feminine happenings. Need I explain more, Your Grace?"

Gilbanar's face was red as he quickly replied, "Ah, no, milady. I don't think that will be necessary. Uh, this additional garment, does it not make you somewhat warm?"

"Rosilda - she's the seamstress helped me design the breeches - and I played around with the fabric and cut to try and keep me cool in the summer sun and it mostly works, Your Grace." Garia smiled. "It's just something we women will have to put up with, Your Grace. Like much else."

"As you say, milady."

"The breeches are so successful, Your Grace," Garia continued, "that I have even had discreet inquiries from some of the palace guard whether there was a version for men available. There may be, and I can discuss it with your Mistress of the Wardrobe if you so desire. They would be worn without skirts in that case, of course."

Gilbanar tried to suppress an image of his men standing guard in skirts and failed. Keeping his face as straight as possible he replied, "Of course, milady. Now, tell me, you implied there were advantages with this saddle for fighting. Shall you explain?"

"Ah, I don't have that experience, Your Grace. I think I'd better let Feteran tell you what he has discovered."

"Your Grace." Feteran bowed and then smoothly mounted his own frayen. He then deliberately let his own reins fall over the animal's neck as he began maneuvering his mount away from the spectators. He gave a display which showed that he had total control over his animal's motions without having to touch the reins at all. The point was not lost on his audience who understood that free hands could instead be holding weapons. Finally he returned to halt in front of Gilbanar.

"Your Grace, you must understand that I can't show you all that I have found I can do, because we are not on an open field. But I can certainly do this -"

Turning to his right he pulled a short bow from its holder behind the saddle and mimed selecting an arrow from the quiver beside it. He pulled the string back, aimed to his left and released, turned, repeated the action.

"Your Grace, I can do this at the walk and strike a target fifty strides away with almost as much accuracy as if I was on foot. I can also do this while at the trot, and I believe I could eventually do it at the canter. I would not claim to be as accurate, of course. Lady Garia tells me there are those on her world who can do such feats at the gallop. With saddles like these, and sufficient practice, I am prepared to believe her."

Gilbanar gestured. "You have no real range, using only a short bow. What about a long bow?"

Feteran shook his head. "Not easy to maneuver, Your Grace. At most angles you could not pull the string far enough back. This tactic is best suited to running battles, I judge, where both armies are mounted."

"I see. Yes, you are probably right, Feteran. Anything else? What about the lance?"

Feteran's grin was wide enough for all to see. "Indeed, Your Grace. With this saddle and these stirrups I guarantee to knock any man from his mount who is not so equipped."

Feteran turned, but Tord was already hurrying across the floor with a practice lance in his hands. He handed it to Feteran and withdrew.

"Milady Garia taught me this, Your Grace," he explained. "You hold the lance under arm, like so, and lean forward. The stirrups anchor you solidly and you have the whole weight of man and beast behind the thrust."

"Impressive," Gilbanar said. He turned to Robanar. "All I have seen this morning convinces me that the changes you have begun will improve Palarand in many ways, Sire. I will certainly give my full consent for the new saddles, stirrups and methods of frayen husbandry to be introduced here. We will also seek to develop our battle skills with the new equipment." He frowned. "I'm not so sure about this whole business of allowing women to ride, but -" he turned and looked at Garia, still on Snep's back, "- Lady Garia seems to have thought the matter out most carefully. I do not believe that I can withhold my consent from any woman who wishes to ride."

Beside him, Vivenne and Terys had smug looks on their face. Korizet was studying Garia, trying to visualize herself on the back of an animal, and what she might be able to do once she got there.

Robanar grunted. "It seems to be in the nature of changes, brother. Whatever changes come, there are certain to be some which some group or other of men - or women - would consider unwelcome." He sighed. "I'm sure that we will become accustomed to our womenfolk riding in time. For now, it just seems so... unnatural."

Terys put her arm through her husband's arm. "It is not so much of a step, husband. Perhaps you will come to enjoy having us ride alongside you."

Gilbanar looked at Terys with alarm. "You wish to join us on the hunt, Your Majesty?"

Terys viewed her brother-in-law with mock disdain. "I would not care to join you in such pursuits, Gilbanar. Too much beer and coarse language, I imagine. But, there may be women who might enjoy the chase, and there will certainly be other occasions when a woman may ride alongside her husband. Don't you think so, Vivenne?"

Vivenne gave an emphatic nod. "As you say, ma'am."

Garia spent the next bell answering hard questions from Gilbanar and his men concerning the new equipment until everyone was satisfied they knew how and why certain things were different and how their own activities might be changed. The women who had attended, meanwhile, were questioning Merizel, who had also come to the demonstration ready to ride. She was a noble of their own kind, not a foreigner, and they found it easier to relate to her own experiences. As the meeting broke up for lunch almost everyone went away thoughtful.

~o~O~o~

"I'm glad you decided to wear that fascinating skirt, Garia," Vivenne said as the women settled into their seats. "It gives such an interesting effect as you walk, does it not? Certain to catch everyone's eye as you pass. Does that design have a name?"

The women had gathered in the largest of the comfortable lounges as there were so many of them. Terys, Garia, Merizel and Rosilda were accompanied by Vivenne, Korizet, Sindenna, Shenna, Terissa and Dalenna - and each one was accompanied by a maid. In the Queen's case there would normally have been two maids but Terys had allowed Varna the afternoon off.

"Your Grace -"

"Aunt Vivenne, dear."

"Uh, Aunt Vivenne, it's called box pleats. You don't have to have contrasting material though, it can all be the same shade. I just had the two greens because those are my colors."

"It's a very clever idea, Garia," Shenna said. "It doesn't look bulky but it allows you room to move when you need to. I like the nice clean lines it gives your body."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

"Don't be so stuffy when we're together like this, dear. Call me Aunt Shenna for now, will you?"

"As you wish, Aunt Shenna. I was going to add, this style of skirt isn't common on Earth these days, except for certain specialized purposes, and then it wouldn't look like this. The skirt would actually be flared, and about half the length this is. It allows the wearer full use of her legs in dancing and other physical activities. May I demonstrate?"

"Please do, dear."

Garia stripped off the tabard she was wearing and then started rolling up the waistband of her skirt till about half her thigh was showing.

"Like this, Aunt Shenna."

"Maker! Do girls go out in public looking like that? Whatever to people say to them?"

"Actually, Aunt Shenna, this would be quite modest by today's standards of clothes wear. The clothes are usually worn by those girls or women taking part in sporting events, either the competitors or those cheering them on."

"What a strange land you come from, dear! Terys has written me about some of the really interesting clothes you tell her about, but I'm sure I didn't believe it until today. You are full of fresh ideas, dear, and I'm sure that there will be a demand for the new styles once our ladies find out about them."

Terys said, "That has already begun, Shenna. I have had notes from some of the women in the city asking me for information about the new designs. We are not entirely sure how to manage the business."

"Perhaps that is just the way it should be managed, ma'am," Vivenne suggested. "Set up a business to introduce the styles into society."

"We couldn't possibly do that, Vivenne! You would hear the screams of outrage from the existing dressmakers all the way out here in Dekarran."

Garia, assisted by Jenet, had removed and straightened her skirt and was now putting on one of her riding skirts.

"That one's interesting too, Garia." Sindenna had spoken for the first time. "I like the way it swirled around your legs when you wore it in the stables this morning."

"I like it too, Aunt... Sindenna?" Garia looked a question at the Duchess and received a nod. "Particularly if you have a little sway in your walk as you go through the corridors, it gives quite an interesting effect."

"I notice that you seem to wear your skirts quite short, dear," Sindenna observed. "Is this because you wore them that length before you came to Palarand?"

"Uh, Aunt Sindenna, before I came to Palarand I didn't wear skirts at all, because I wasn't a girl. In fact, on Earth girls don't wear skirts a lot of the time either, but shorts or trousers of various kinds. To answer your question, I chose that length because I need to keep my legs free because of the martial arts. Having the hem on the knee is a compromise between modesty and leg movement which I'm quite happy with. On Earth, skirt lengths can be anywhere from on the floor to just about here."

Garia placed her hand on her thigh just below her crotch and received disbelieving stares from Shenna and Sindenna.

"Maker!" Shenna said. "Have you no modesty on Earth, then?"

"Pretty much not, Aunt Shenna," Garia conceded with a shrug and a slight grimace. "I guess it's what you get used to. Fashions change from year to year, so what seems perfectly normal one year can look uncomfortably immodest - or just plain old-fashioned - several years later."

"If you say so, dear," Shenna said, obviously not convinced.

Sindenna spoke. "I noticed when you changed skirts, Garia, that I could not see your bodice. Do you wear a special one for your exercises, then?"

Terys, Garia, Merizel and all their maids grinned, to the surprise of the other women.

"We no longer wear bodices, Sindenna," Terys explained. "Garia has introduced a new undergarment called a bra. In fact, every woman who came with us from Palarand now wears a bra, as they are much more comfortable to wear. Shall you show them, Garia?"

"As you wish, ma'am."

Jenet helped pull Garia's tunic top off and her bra was exposed to view.

"That's an interesting arrangement," Shenna remarked. "Complicated, though. I'm not surprised nobody here has thought of it. The band around your chest looks quite tight."

"It has to be snug fitting, Aunt Shenna, because it carries part of the weight. Oh, it doesn't make much difference for me, because I'm only... small, but for larger ladies it can make a considerable difference."

"Oh? And each one of these has to be hand-made, does it not? More work for your poor seamstress, no doubt."

"Aunt Shenna, it's not so much of a problem. Perhaps I'd better let Mistress Rosilda explain."

Garia gestured to Rosilda, who was trying to keep as inconspicuous as possible in such august company. She licked her lips and stood, looking for all the world like a servant about to be told off.

"Ma'am, Your Graces, when Garia first explained these to me I thought them complicated as well, but as I investigated I realized that, provided the cutting was accurate, they are quite quick and easy to make. They use but little cloth and one of my seamstresses may make one in little longer than a bell." Rosilda gave a deprecating smile. "When we started making these we made many mistakes but because there is so little material and effort involved we learned quickly. Milady Garia gave us the idea that we should measure every woman in the palace to find out what range of sizes we might be asked to make and, with just under two hundred women, we found that more than half of them would be covered with just twelve sizes, and most of the other half by another eleven sizes. We simply made patterns for each of those sizes and whenever we are asked to make one it can usually be ready the same day."

"Really?" Vivenne asked. "We seem all shapes and proportions, can it really be reduced to so few?"

"Your Grace, we do not need to know your height or your waist or hip measurements. To our own surprise, women do not vary so much across the chest despite appearances. Breast sizes are another matter, of course, but even there the number of sizes is manageable."

"I'm interested. Did you by chance bring any of your patterns with you, Rosilda?"

Rosilda smiled as she shook her head. "Not by chance, Your Grace, no. We anticipated your interest. I have a full copy of all our patterns with me."

The next bell was spent analyzing Garia's clothing ideas in the kind of detail that would have caused Gary to shoot himself on Earth had he been forced to participate. Everything she wore for almost every activity was examined and questioned, most receiving thoughtful approval. Even Merizel's equestrian gear was discussed.

"I notice," Vivenne said to Garia, "that you seem to favor two-piece outfits rather than gowns, dear. Most of your own consists of separate tunics and skirts, and even Merizel's riding costume is a blouse and skirt under a jacket. Is there any special reason for this, dear?"

Garia shook her head. "Not particularly, Aunt Vivenne. I would think that most clothing on Earth is separates, but we - I mean women there - do wear dresses from time to time. Uh, what you call gowns, I guess." She considered. "I guess it's practical, Aunt Vivenne. If you have separate tops and skirts, you can mix and match according to occasion and of course if one part needs washing because of a spill you still have the other. I could have asked for a gown to ride in but it would be less useful when I wasn't riding." She frowned. "I'm sorry, does that make sense?"

Vivenne nodded. "Perfectly, dear. Thank you."

Sindenna stirred. "There's a problem, I think, and it's one that our noble ladies will have to accept in time. Garia dear, you probably don't realize this but noblewomen in Palarand tend to wear almost nothing but gowns, and expensive ones at that. It's the ordinary people who wear the separates, as you suggested, for practical reasons. If the new styles you introduce are mainly separates, many women of our status will object because they will think it makes them look... common."

Garia smiled. "I don't think you need worry at all about that, Aunt Sindenna. The upper-class ladies of my own country wear separates but it is fairly easy to work out what status everybody is. The quality of the cloth and the style and cut all make a noticeable difference. You can easy tell who is high-class and who is low-class."

"If you say so, my dear. It's something we are going to have to get used to, in this country at least."

~o~O~o~

"I'm amazed, Sire." Norvelen waved a hand. "I had no idea that any woman was capable of such feats as we saw this morning. Yet she claims not to be special."

"She isn't, Norvelen," Robanar said. "Really, she isn't. She just comes from a place where what she does is not considered unusual. She does say that her martial arts activities are something that not all young people train for, and those that do use it purely, and I repeat purely, for fun and fitness."

Robanar ran a hand through his hair. "I will admit," he continued, "when we first discovered what she wanted to do we wondered if she was from a fierce warrior race but the reality is somewhat different." His expression was serious. "And somewhat complicated." A look of satisfaction, now. "Still, as she begins to adapt to her new life in our lands we have learned much from her. You have seen how she rides?" Norvelen nodded. "We are making changes to our guard units as fast as we can, and we will provide you with both information and instructors to take with you when you return."

"Thank you, Sire. That is most appreciated."

Robanar put his tankard down on the table beside his seat before leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees.

"It is not just her physical abilities, Norvelen. She remembers much of what she has been taught by her teachers before she came to us. The knowledge she holds has already shaken Palarand to its very foundations. We see a future for Alaesia none of us could have dreamed of before she came. We are gathering that knowledge and passing it to those who can make use of it as fast as we may safely do. One consequence will be that mining in North Palarand will greatly increase. Master Tanon, when he arrives for our next council meeting, will tell you that he expects to be building great quantities of wagons and ships in the near future to carry the increased traffic. We'll explain all our plans in council, but I consider it useful to warn you beforehand."

"Wagons and ships? You'll need more mature woodland then, Sire."

Robanar grinned. "To begin with. I am assured that in time both wagons and ships will be made of steel, and welded steel at that." Norvelen stared. Robanar waved a hand. "This is detail we'll cover later. For now it is enough for you to know that changes are coming to all of us."

"As you say, Sire. But..." Norvelen made his own gesture, "If I may say something about her unarmed combat. Surely there must come a limit of size, where her opponent is large enough to prevent her throwing him?"

"She says not, Norvelen. It would appear that size is not important, that in fact she uses her opponent's size and strength against them."

Norvelen frowned. "But she could not throw someone of, say, Master Haflin's size, surely?"

Keren chuckled and the old Duke turned to him. "Highness? Surely she has not bested even the Royal Armorer?"

"She has, Norvelen," Keren replied, "but not in unarmed combat, it is true." He smiled at a remembered confrontation. "She used a broken spear shaft. A style of fighting she calls quarter-staffs. Master Haflin had no knowledge of the art and she thoroughly battered him. It was a disagreement about swords, you understand. She is of course too small for a normal blade."

"So Haflin made those little blades for her? Are those what are used on her world, then?"

Keren shook his head. "By no means, Norvelen. That idea comes from the far side of Alaesia. As father said, matters become complicated wherever Garia is concerned."

The discussion moved on to Garia's other activities and innovations.

"Yes, I've seen samples of paper," Norvelen said. "If it is as easy and as cheap to make as you say, it will make a considerable difference to many of our activities. I'm not sure I understand printing, though. That sounds complicated."

Robanar nodded. "It is complicated, but no more so than, for example, the making of parchment. Those who were once scribes will now call themselves printers and will be able to turn out so many books that all who wish will be able to own one. That means more will need to be able to read, which in turn will become important as the new factories are opened. On Earth Garia tells us that almost everyone is taught to read at a young age, and that it is almost necessary in order for her world to function."

"Everyone? Farmers? Even peasants?"

"Aye, Norvelen. Even women."

"What do the guilds have to say about all this? Surely they do not agree with what she proposes?"

"They agree with every word, my friend. Indeed, she was invited, along with myself, to a dinner they gave in her honor at the Guildhall. She was the first woman ever to set foot inside the building, her maid the second. The best part was, at the end of the meal they made her a Guildmistress. Palarand's first ever, and I suspect Anmar's first ever."

Gilbanar spilled his drink. "What? They did what, brother?"

"You heard me, Gil. She has been made Guildmistress Number One, and she well deserves it. She has given more work to the guildsmen than they have ever known before. She tells them they will all become rich, and they know it to be true."

Gilbanar stared at his brother. "The Guilds did that? I'm almost afraid to ask... has she yet faced the Questors?"

Robanar grunted. "A difficult confrontation that was, Gil. I would much sooner have faced grakh, truth be known. But Garia tamed them also - with lightning she made herself."

"Now this you have to tell us, Rob. The guildsmen I might just believe, but Questors? The story, if you will."

"Very well, there's time. Let's get some refills first, Gil, if you'll call your man. I'll have to start at the beginning, though, with the steam engine. You remember that? Good. Well, it seems..."

~o~O~o~

Days had passed. Demonstrations had been given, meetings of the Council of the Two Worlds had been held, saddlers commissioned, seamstresses directed, instruction begun both in the methods of Tai Chi and the beginnings of unarmed combat. Garia was ready for a break but there was still much to do. There were two experiences which she had yet to face and on this fine morning, soon after changing following her exercises, she made herself accompany Terinar to one of the higher levels of the castle.

Garia looked at the walkway and wished she were anywhere else but here. She was standing on a balcony in front of the Upper Guard House. To her left and right, narrow paths angled back out of sight to traverse the mountainside. In front of her, a level walkway about five feet wide stretched out into thin air... ending at a circular platform some distance away that seemed to float in the sky. The walls either side of the walkway came up to her chest, so in principle it didn't look too dangerous. Underfoot the surface appeared to be asphalt with embedded gravel to provide grip.

Unfortunately, it just looked as though the whole thing was stuck out into space, which in one sense it was. Underneath the walkway were two tall stone pillars joined at one end to the Upper Guard House and at the other to the top of the King's Tower by three stupendous arches, but none of that was visible from where she stood.

"It's quite safe really," Terinar said again. "This walkway is at least one hundred fifty years old."

Easy for you to say, she thought. Older might mean it's begun to crumble.

"I don't doubt you, Terry," she said. "It's just... different than anything I've ever done before."

"I understand," he said. "I was the same way myself, the first time I ventured out here. Mind you," he grinned, "I was probably about eight years old at the time. Just barely tall enough to see over the walls."

She calmed herself with difficulty. So be it. Let's do this.

Garia turned and glanced at Jenet who was standing in the doorway that led from the guardhouse. "You're sure?"

Jenet's face showed that she had the same opinion of the walkway that Garia had. "Thank you, milady, I will await you here."

Garia nodded, compressed her lips and turned to Terinar. "Lead the way, then."

By the time she reached the top of the tower she had somewhat adjusted, although it still seemed to be difficult to walk out into the middle of nowhere. She looked around. The top of the tower was a circular space about eight or nine strides across, she estimated. Like the walkway the surface was asphalt with embedded grit.

Must be a pig, being stationed up here when it's cold and raining. You'd need something to stop yourself slipping. Why is there no shelter up here like on the palace tower? It's really exposed.

There were four of Uncle Gil's guardsmen there, each looking in a different direction. As had been the case at the top of the palace tower, there was a table in the center with an NCO of some kind. He stood and bowed but Terinar waved at him to resume whatever he was doing. The man sat but stared at Garia with understandable curiosity. Female visitors to this eyrie were probably very rare. Off-center in the floor, a metal trapdoor covered a way down into the top of the tower. She turned to Terinar.

"How do you feel now?" he asked.

"Strange. We seem to be floating in mid-air."

"I know what you mean. I sometimes wonder how avians see the world and I imagine that it must be something like being up here. Do you think you can look over the side yet?"

"I think so. I'll probably be okay so long as I don't look straight down."

"Let's start at the right, then, and work our way round. I'll tell you what we're looking at as we go."

They turned round until she faced the walkway, back the way she had come.

Imagine a thick wedge of cheese, she thought, or maybe a big slice of cake. That's the mountainside the castle is built against. Make that crumbly cheese or cake, so that the top of the point has all crumbled away into a heap around the bottom. The castle flows round the base of the point and up and over the sides where the rock has crumbled away. On the left is the cliff which is the side of the rift valley where the Sirrel flows, on the right the mountain curves away slightly to form the valley of the Palar. The King's Tower is out beyond the point where the sides of the slice meet, so that anyone up here has a clear view up both valleys. Smart king! I bet you can see miles from up here.

Terinar walked towards the wall surrounding the top of the tower, at the right side of the walkway. The lookout standing there bowed and gave him room. Hesitantly Garia joined him to see what was visible.

Terinar pointed. "Look! From here you can see all the way up the Valley. Beyond Brikant is Brugan, then Virgulend and Smordan. It's still a little misty so you can't see much further just yet, but I am informed by the more keen-eyed of our look-outs that one can see as far as Joth when the air is clear."

She shaded her eyes and followed his finger. Below her the mighty Sirrel wound its placid way across and along the rift valley. The lands between the cliffs which formed the valley boundaries were, she could see, heavily farmed and appeared prosperous. She already knew this from her journey from the city but this view showed that the whole valley was as rich as Palarand. Beside her, Terinar moved left until he was looking directly across the valley.

"That's Palarand down there, of course. We can't see everything from here, the valley is too wide, but we get a good view of perhaps a half of it. See over there? That's the city." He pointed at a gray/brown smudge about halfway across the land.

Garia moved to the wall and, after hesitating, rested her breasts on the top of the wall, leaning forward on tip-toe. She looked down at what was just below the castle, seeing the various courtyards and terraces, walls, rough rock and, where land met river, the tiny harbor where the ferries landed.

"Terry, why do the ferries go down there rather than round the corner where the wharves are?"

"Oh, it's to do with the currents and tides. The ferries can operate at all tides but you can only get into the Palar to reach the wharves when the tide is coming in." He eyed her speculatively. "You have knowledge of nautical matters, Garia?"

"Absolutely not. The nearest coast must have been about... two thousand marks from where I lived. I know very little about the sea."

He grinned. "Except what you've been taught, is that it? Which I'll wager is probably more than most who live in Dekarran. So, if we move round a little more... there is the sea."

Where he pointed the Sirrel opened out into a vast estuary, gradually merging with the sea. On the left bank, as she viewed it, she knew she was looking at Vardenale, another rich land between the coast and the fringes of the northern mountains where they curved out of sight to the north-east. She tried to locate Viridor but failed. To the right, on the southern bank, the low marshy margins faded into the distance where they became the country called Plif. Between them the sea stretched away to an impossibly straight line dividing it from the sky. She had never seen so much water in her life.

"It's... impressive," she said. "How far do ships go out on that ocean, Terry?"

He shrugged. "No idea, Garia. I know that there are some island groups round beyond -" he gestured with a finger pointing beyond the mountains to their left, "- but mostly it's just coastal traffic. Why?"

"Well, has nobody had the idea of exploring by going out further and further? I know it's a risk, but if you don't take risks nobody would figure out anything."

"I don't know, Garia. You'd have to talk to some of the sea-captains to find out where they go. Why? Do you know that there is land out there, just beyond the horizon?"

"I'm just a stranger to Anmar, remember? I don't know what's out there. But, on Earth, brave men sailed out so far they thought they were going to fall off the edge of the world and they found new lands. One of those new lands is the place I come from, in fact. The new lands aren't 'just over the horizon', either. In those days, it would take six weeks to three months to get there. Or longer, depending on the weather."

"Ouch. Is the world really that big?"

"I'm assuming Anmar's about the same size as Earth, so yes, I guess it is."

"Maker! Perhaps you'd better talk about such matters at the next council meeting."

"That's an idea. So, what's next?"

"Oh. Yes, if you look down here, you'll see where the Palar meets the Sirrel and you'll see why the ferries don't go there."

Below the tower the ground sloped away rapidly. Garia realized that her 'hundred foot' tower was at least twice that above the river level. Sandwiched between the outer walls of the castle and the river was a cramped town, which she assumed was Dekarran. A narrow road snaked between the buildings following the walls of the castle and Garia realized that it was the 'trade route' someone had mentioned.

The Palar flowed swift and deep through a channel cut in the wall of rock forming the side of the rift valley. Garia now understood Terinar's comment about the tides, no vessel could get through that gap into the Sirrel except when conditions were exactly right. Opposite, she saw a small fortress hugging the other bank, no doubt protecting the Palar valley from pirates and brigands in times past. To her left the wharves, warehouses and industrial buildings began on both banks of the Palar.

Immediately below, there was some kind of construction project, on a tiny plot just beyond the castle walls. She could see men climbing over a timber frame which rose above the surrounding buildings.

"What's that, Terry?"

"Where? Oh, that. I believe it's some kind of signal station. It allows people here to send messages across the river without using a ferry."

"Of course! It's the semaphore station. I ought to have realized they would need one over here as well. I wonder why..."

I wonder why they didn't put it up here. It would have been the perfect place.

"Hmm? Semaphore station? What's that?"

Garia realized that Terinar probably hadn't been told about the new message system. She opened her mouth to explain then wondered whether that was breaking confidentiality. She contented herself with a simple reply.

"It's the name given to a new signaling system. I'm sure you'll hear all about it in time, once they have it up and running."

A commotion drew everyone's attention. A group of people had come out of the Upper Guard Room and were filing across the walkway led by Gilbanar. When they reached the tower she saw Robanar, Keren, Bleskin, Merek, Gerdas and Parrel accompanied by six manservants, each pair of servants carrying a long thin wooden crate. Parrel had his usual tool bag which he set down beside the crates and she could now see that Keren carried a small plain chest which he lowered to the ground. Once the crates were deposited the servants filed back along the walkway.

"Sire, Highness, Your Grace."

Everybody greeted the newcomers in the usual fashion, Robanar smiling at Garia.

"Milady, you have ventured onto our look-out post. Do you like the view?"

"Yes, Sire. It takes some time to become used to being surrounded by a whole load of nothing, though." She glanced at the crates. "Are those what I think they are?"

Robanar grinned widely. "Indeed they are, Garia! Now we shall really see how useful these devices are."

Parrel began levering the lids off the crates to reveal three long brass telescopes. The body of the devices, which did not telescope despite the name, were about as long as she was tall. The barrels were as wide as her hand, making the lenses about four inches in diameter. In the crates with the barrels were disassembled tripod mounts and Parrel, with assistance from Keren, soon had one set up for everybody to try out the view.

"Maker!" Gilbanar said. "That's truly impressive! I can almost make out the man on the look-out post over there," he said. The telescope was pointed directly across the valley at the other wall sixty marks distant. He swung the device up and down the Sirrel, becoming more excited with every new thing he focused on. "Look! Those ships! See, they're so close I can read the names on the hull. And those trees on the far bank. I can pick out every leaf, it seems."

"As you say, Sire," Parrel agreed. "These large telescopes should make the work of your watch men so much easier. And of course we have to thank Milady Garia for her important contributions to the design of these devices."

Robanar turned and beamed at Garia. "Indeed we do, Guildmaster!"

"Sire," Parrel continued, "with your permission we shall erect the other two telescopes now. I am grateful for His Highness's assistance."

Garia felt a light touch on her elbow and turned.

"We'd better move out of the way," Terinar said to her quietly. "They'll need the space. Each of those stands takes up quite some room, doesn't it?"

"Oh, yes." The two moved over to the north side of the tower and stood watching the assembly. The top of the tower was now quite crowded, with all the extra people and the new equipment, and it was not easy to see what was happening, not that she needed to see it in any case. Turning, she leaned against the wall and studied the Palar valley, shading her eyes against the sun directly over her face.

It was a better view of what she could see from her chamber window. Beyond the wharves the valley widened slightly, the river becoming a little more sluggish than directly below. The road, snaking north-west on the nearer side of the river, passed through wooded areas and open pastures. A similar road could be seen on the other bank. In the distance, the river made a dog-leg right, more to the north-west, and disappeared from view behind a mountain slope. Where the valley turned she could just make out some more buildings and remembered that someone had said the next town was just visible. In the distance, other peaks could be seen beyond the north side of the valley but it was apparent that the terrain this side of the Sirrel was much less rugged than that on the southern side.

Garia realized that she had become distracted by Terinar's light touch. Still looking north, with her eyes shaded so that it seemed she was still studying the scenery, she sought to understand why she had noticed his touch, why it had affected her somehow.

I don't know what just happened. I touch people all the time, every day, so why did I react differently just then? Whether it's Jenet dressing, undressing or washing me, or Keren and I sparring on the mat, or me training the men, I don't remember reacting this way before.

Keren's different, of course. Way different. Even so... Terinar?

Perhaps... because I wasn't expecting it. He was just being a gentleman, looking after me. We're comfortable in each other's company, he's just taking care of me, like any good boy should with any girl.

I find to my surprise that I quite like that.

"It's a fine country, isn't it?" Terinar said, interrupting her thoughts.

"It seems so," she replied.

"Once you get away from Dekarran it all becomes much more rural," he explained. "Along there is one of the areas we go hunting. Do you have hunting on Earth?"

"Of course, but hunting can mean many different things depending who and where you are. We don't, as a rule, have to hunt our food any more, but again some do it for fun or because of the challenge." She was about to mention the more modern weapons but decided that this might not be the best time or place.

"Viewing the countryside?"

She turned to find that Keren had joined them. The two new stands had been set up, one next to where they were standing, and they had to move again. Parrel had begun instructing the guardsmen how to focus the telescopes by adjusting the moveable eyepieces. Keren jerked a thumb at the devices.

"I didn't think they would be quite so large," he said. "Master Parrel told me that was because they are special commissions that will only be used up here. The ones in normal use will be about a third that size." He gestured towards the north. "What do you think? Like what you see?"

"It's interesting," she replied, "and I can't wait to go traveling. I assume we'll be using that road down there?"

Keren nodded. "If you're riding with us, then yes."

Terinar added, "That's the way the wagons usually go. If you take a sailing barge you can get to Teldor much quicker, but you'll be in a caravan, won't you? How many of you are going, do you know, Garia?"

"I don't have the full details," she said with a frown, "Merizel is handling all that as usual. Two wagons, I know that, and I believe Captain Bleskin will be joining us with a third for his own use. I'll have my men-at-arms, maids and wagoneers but I don't know who else."

Terinar grinned and leaned down so that only Garia could hear his words. "We have a surprise for Captain Bleskin," he murmured. "You wait till tomorrow morning!"

"Highness, My Lord, My Lady. If you would." Parrel got their attention. They turned to see that the small chest had been opened to reveal that it was filled with circular objects that turned out to be the ends of leather cylinders. Parrel drew one out and presented it to Robanar with a bow.

"Sire, please accept this personal telescope as a gift from the combined guilds of Palarand."

Robanar took the cylinder, examined it, and then prized off the end cap to reveal a shining brass telescope. When he withdrew it Garia could see that it was made of two brass cylinders which slid smoothly together and about as long as her arm when extended. Robanar held the device to his eye and began adjusting the focus. He played with the telescope for a while, looking at objects in several directions before lowering it and smiling at Parrel.

"Excellent, Parrel! Your workmanship is as good as it ever was. These will serve Palarand well in future times."

Parrel bowed. "Thank you, Your Majesty. I have telescopes for all those present on the tower today. With your permission?"

Robanar assented and Parrel passed round a telescope to Gilbanar, Bleskin, Merek, Keren, Garia and even Terinar. They all spent some moments making themselves familiar with the devices.

"I see that you can link the cases to your belt, or to your harness," Merek observed. "These will become very useful in the future as the King says."

"As you say, captain." Parrel smiled. "We are considering opening a new factory just to make telescopes, the demand is so great."

Robanar turned to Garia. "And we must thank Milady Garia for the improved design."

Garia curtseyed acknowledgment as Parrel added, "Yes, the cylinder method is much easier to make. Although, it is true, we must therefore needs increase production of brass sheet." He shrugged and spread his hands. "That will happen anyway, given everything else that we wish to make."

They talked for some minutes together before deciding that they were getting in the way of the lookout men. Without thinking, Terinar offered his arm to Garia to escort her back to the Upper Guard House and after a tiny hesitation she accepted. Walking behind them, Keren frowned at the intensity of his own feelings before Parrel distracted him with a question. By the time they reached the guard house Garia was glad to return to the security of the castle stonework.

~o~O~o~

"I'm not really sure how to talk about this, Jenet."

"Milady?"

"We-ll, you're a woman, obviously, and you've always been a woman. Uh, I think what I mean is that, you're like a fish who's been in the water all it's life and doesn't know any different. Whereas I'm new to being a woman and I can perhaps notice things you might not. Does that make sense?"

Jenet came and sat on the bed beside Garia.

"I think I understand what you're trying to say, milady. But, you haven't said anything yet."

"Uh, no, I was just getting to that. Um, the way that men treat you. Do you feel that they are looking after you sometimes?"

"Of course, milady. That is a man's task in life, to look after a woman. I do not have a special man who looks after me, as any husband does for his wife, but most who work in the palace will look after those women who work with them." Jenet looked at Garia with curiosity. "Why do you ask, milady? Have you found someone who does not treat you properly, milady?"

Garia returned a wry look. "You mean, apart from all the Questors and some of the nobles?" She sighed. "That wasn't why I asked, Jenet. Today, I had Terinar paying special attention to me when we were out on the tower. He didn't actually do very much at all, he was just courteous. I don't think I noticed before, but it gave me a feeling I've not had before, leastways not that I've taken note of." Her eyes took on a faraway look. "I felt, I dunno, comforted, looked after, safe, you know what I mean? Is that the way a girl is supposed to feel?"

"It can be, milady. I may not have any particular man friends at the moment but I have had in the past, and if a man looks after you, makes you feel safe and secure, then that makes you feel more confident yourself and you can do so much more. There is much that any woman may achieve when a good man stands behind her."

"Perhaps you're right, Jenet. I'm trying to adjust to the way women do things and I never expected this at all. It seems I still have much to learn about how women see men. I thought I knew how men see women, but perhaps I didn't understand that properly either. The feelings I've been having lately are hard to identify. That doesn't seem to stop me from having them, though."

"Ah. I understand now what you meant about the fish, milady. Tell me, do you think that perhaps Lord Terinar might be interested in you? I may not have said that properly. I doubt not that most men find you interesting. What I mean is, I think, would you consider that the Lord Terinar might be suitable as a husband?"

"Gosh, Jenet! I don't know. If this were Earth, and I had always been a girl, then, yes, I probably would consider him. As it is..."

Garia trailed off, looking down at her hands in her lap. Life was so easy when all she had to think about were steam engines, batteries and martial arts. This emotional stuff was erratic and sometimes quite difficult to make head or tail of when it happened. She looked at Jenet.

"It's hard. Sometimes I understand the girl thing right away and it just seems all natural like it should do. Other times it just confuses me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do or feel."

"This might surprise you, milady, but I think that at times that happens to all of us, men and women. I don't think that it is because of the special way that you came here, it is just the way that new feelings can affect us sometimes. Remember, this is still new to you. Your body is still settling down and who knows how long that will take? Do not worry about the Lord Terinar for now, milady. You have much to do before you may have leisure to consider a husband. I do not think that the King or Queen will force you to choose before you are ready, they know that your path is not a normal one."

Garia fell over so that her head was in Jenet's lap.

"Thank you, Jenet! I know that I may rely on you for some good sense."

"As you say, milady. Did not the Queen appoint me for just such a purpose? And now, milady, I suggest that you stop sitting on your bed and instead get into it."

"As you say, Jenet."

up
385 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is Such a Wonderful Series

Thank you thank you thank you Penny. You have provided us all with a simply wonderful tale - albeit chapter-by-chapter - week after week after week. I eagerly await each new part.

A simple touch.

Oh, it was much more than that, wasn't it? And Keren was a little jealous?

Garia is learning as she teaches, as always but now she is learning things I don't believe she really expected to in the beginning.

Maggie

Somewhere Else Entirely -54-

Who will Garia choose?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

lot's of fun

I realize that life is tough right now, but you continue to impress with each new chapter. Thank you for this wonderful story and the world it lets us visit.

Draflow

As always...

... seeing another episode of this on the first page of BCTS always fills me with delight, knowing that a real piece of interesting story and thought-provoking things happening in an intriguing setting.

As you say!

I think that is the tag line for this series! :) Once again, I enjoyed my visit with Garia and friends. Thank you for yet another amazing chapter.
hugs
Grover

SEE..

Wow! Another wonderful installment of SEE Penny!! Thanks for taking of your time and talent to keep us all entertained!

Still excellent!

With each passing day, the locals learn more about Earth technology, while Garia learns more about womanhood - and in this episode, dealing with her acrophobia.

I wonder if we'll see jousting tourneys before the story's over? :)

Meanwhile, we see a trio of giant lookout telescopes and over a dozen portable telescopes - plus a hint that there's a surprise coming for Bleskin...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Garia has discovered boys?

Yes, she gets that special feeling when she runs into a man who is particularly helpful. I can imagine her having to learn to manage her own feelings, and how not to allow the pleasure to affect her judgement, or to be seen as flirting.

I know the problem well. :)

I was quite surprised that she handled the high tower so well. In my old presentation, I worked very high at times, but now find heights to be threatening. I expected her to act like I did last time I was on a very high climb.

Thank you for a very nice chapter.

G

Friends in High Places

^-^

I know exactly what you mean, dear. For me, climbing was a thing to be feared, most of the time. Okay, trees were generally ok, because you were almost always surrounded by branches and leaf canopy so you never felt exposed, if that is the term.

On top of high buildings or up radio masts (yes, I did a couple of those), not so good. I eventually decided that it was because there was no 'vertical' anywhere within reasonable range to give my balance any confidence.

The only answer was to grit my teeth and just do it, but it was always a struggle against my muscles locking up. After a few goes I could at least tolerate it, but I never liked doing it. And the toleration left just as soon as the job finished.

Another fun job was sitting in a cherry-picker 40' up and 100' away from a Vulcan aircraft, shining radio at it. That was interesting, especially (i) when you could see a thunderstorm coming across the airfield but knew you were never going to get down to ground level before it hit and (ii) when some 'friend' took the keys out of the generator and left me sky-high with no power...

I have also the distinction of being 30' up a tall, thin oak tree with two friends when it fell over. Nobody hurt, thank goodness. Isn't life interesting?

Penny

Telescopes

With the introduction of more and better telescopes, there's an important safety note that Garia needs to bring up -- never look at the sun with one. A practical demonstration of starting a fire with one would help.

Watching the Sun

I think this was mentioned a while ago, when they were first discussing telescopes.

I'm afraid that if I developed this to include everything that ought to have been said we'd be looking at another Bike... and I suspect some people would start to become bored by the high-school science lessons.

It's always very tricky trying to get a balance between 'too much information' and enough to give the plot some flavor and atmosphere. I'm still trying to get it right. Remember, the object of the exercise is 'boy gets girl'. While much of the rest is interesting to most people (including me) it's really only a side-show, a consequence of Garia being who she is in that particular place and time.

Telescopes will get used later, if that helps.

Penny

Making up a world is hard work!

I continue to be impressed with how much effort you have put into creating your world. And yet, your story is character-driven which make it even more interesting.

I find myself surprised when I reach the end of the chapter because I have been so involved in it. I was standing there on the platform while the telescopes were being set up. I could feel the breeze and see the sea. And, I could relate to the new feelings Garia was having and trying to figure out. Good job!

Suzij

Building worlds

Making a world is easy! It's getting it consistent that's the tricky part...

So far, I seem to have managed it, although there are a couple of teeny mistakes...

I think my muse must have had an off day that day.

Penny

Garia and the Guard

Forgive the image but after thinking about the story, the Image of Garia and the palace guard was overlaid by Mulan and her troops AFTER their training was complete. Sorry if that weirds anyone out.

Huggles

Chelle_MM

I think I need to sit down while commenting on this one

... as I am badly acrophobic. I do NOT like heights and certainly will not look straight down from a ledge. Your descriptions are such that it made me a bit queasy just reading it :) I think a somewhat similar view was had when I was on top of St Paul's London in the cupola. The darn thing is really small and yes I did not look down. You really had to be careful up there too as the railings were not all that tall.

Garia has much to think about with regard to men of course. However I can already feel Keren's resolve to make her his own. She IS special whether she knows it or not as I have found that, aside from looks alone, few people have an extreme level of integrity and good intelligence.

Thank you for showing us more of Garia's new land and home. I think seeing it will also keep it in perspective for her to shepherd her changes she will be bringing to Palarand in terms of pollution and destruction to the land which as we know is the major downside to our 'modern' way of life.

Edit: Oh as far as telescopes go, they could do with at least applying coatings to help minimize aberrations and high index glass (fluorite anyone) to provide a stronger telescope. A simple apochromat should not be too hard to make. This would be especially useful for astronomy.

Kim

Love the Feteran and Garia show

I think they make a great sales pair and Feteran knows how to 'FAB' very well. Garia very cleverly let her sidekick explain the new system, being a local and a SME as far as her audience is concerned, even though of course she already knew what the advantages are already.

Final thought about telescopes is that for astronomy they might want to go to reflecting or Cassegrain ones for astronomy work as they are more compact. There is only one really major refracting telescope I know of in the US that I learned of when I was a kid and they do not scale well at all.

I love how this world is shaping up, one that is scripted on Deist principles.

Thank you for this wonderful journey.

Kim

Telescopes

We're really just at the very beginnings here. It will take some time for the physics of optics (can I say that?) to develop far enough that they will start worrying about chromatic aberration and similar problems. Garia has made hints about big mirrors for telescopes and Hurdin has already been told of prisms and splitting light. It is but a step from there to realizing that different colors will need different lens shapes and so on, a problem which a mirror would not have in the same way.

As for fighting on horse/frayen back, I wouldn't think that Garia has the same kind of expertise that Feteran has, if (Gary) had any at all. I wouldn't have thought that jousting figured much in his upbringing, after all. It would have been plain riding, camping, and taking pot shots at small birds and animals like anyone on a farm might.

Penny

Surely she does not have any experience

fighting on horseback. Agree totally.

However, there are old movies :)

I believe the American Indians did fight from horseback and there might even be some subtitled Chinese movies where people shoot from horseback with both hands free. Lots of knights on horseback with the lance thing. Mongols are probably in the history books with the Khan. Not to mention youtube videos.

I would assume that would give her some ideas. Not to mention Roy Rogers and Trigger :) Annie Oakley. Buffalo Bill's wild west show. And any number of American westerns. She is an American after all :)

If she is in Kansas she may even have gone to a rodeo or two.

Kim

A Girl and Her Frayen

terrynaut's picture

I'm just soaking up each and every chapter of this wonderful story. I can't decide which part of this chapter I like best. It might be the talk about women's clothing, it might be the lookout, or it might be the riding demonstration. They're all great. I guess I might lean towards one of the three though.

Here, Snep!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Snep

You should see plenty of Snep when Garia resumes her journey north. And, you'll also be introduced to 'Beth'. She'll play a pivotal role much later on.

Penny

A La "Pretty Woman"

joannebarbarella's picture

Remember how Richard Gere was terrified of heights? You do get used to them provided you don't have a phobia and there is some kind of substantial barrier to give comfort.

I was somewhat like Garia when I first went to live in Hong Kong. The flat which I was allocated was on the 20th floor of the building which itself was on a cliff, so that the apparent height was about 40 floors. At first I used to gingerly edge my way to the balcony (which was glass up to about four feet) but after living there for a couple of weeks I could nonchalantly stroll out and casually lean on the railing.

I can see the "Legend of Garia" beginning to take hold in the eyes of the locals, and, like everyone else who has commented, I love seeing another chapter of this wonderful series posted,

Joanne

No doubt

I can almost visualize an epilogue in Anmar's future where there is Queen Garia plaza, buildings, cities etc. She will be the stuff of legends. If she introduces photography, she could have paintings as well as photographs of herself for posterity.

Of course we do not know at this point whether it is just a copy of Gary's consciousness that got transplanted or the actual 'soul' or radically altered body so we may very much see Gary home in bed waking up. I do NOT believe Palarand to be a dream sequence though and I would stop reading books by any author who resorts to such nonsense.

In any event, here's hoping Garia gets her 'happy ever after' one day. Sadly I do not believe Garia will get to say goodbye or visit her parents though, though that is irrelevant in a way if she is merely a copy.

Kim

Oh, my!

You are both so wrong and so right on so many counts... ^_^

(Peers surreptitiously into corners of room) Nope, okay today. Must carry on writing before she figures any more out!

Penny

SEE-53

This is such a great story. I love the characters. Garia is a wonerful heroine, You make her come to life. The dialogs are very well thought out and make you feel the emotions. I love this story and hope you contiue it. Thank you so much.

Emmy Stark

Wonderful!

The way you qrite this story almost makes me feel as though I am there with Garia or am Garia. Plus it causes me to reflect on my own past feelings!

Wonderful story!

Hugs

Vivien

Competition

Where the Prince may find a little competition for Garia's affections from his cousin Terry I find myself rooting for a Keren/Garia pairing in the future though I guess I could see a competitive courtship. I however don't see why rules still get in the way of their love now that she is a member of nobility, after all it was never pointed out that he had to marry someone of a ruling class just nobility and that it couldn't be a Brikant noble.

Bekah

Yes, but..

I'm assuming that Robanar and Terys's thinking on this, which would be the way the whole system has worked up till now, is that the Heir needs to marry someone from another country to provide a binding alliance - or at least stop the two countries involved actively going to war at some time.

Garia can't provide that kind of link since she's literally dropped out of the sky. There's no country behind her, so a marriage isn't going to provide that kind of benefit to Palarand.

Of course, if the matter was considered carefully enough they would see that Garia could provide other kinds of benefits. Sometimes, though, customs can be hard to shift.

Penny

True

That sounds like the way its been in most medieval fantasy stories I've read but the romantic in me still hopes for them to be able to buck the trend. Ass they say love conquers all.

Bekah

Matchmaking

I want to see Keren and Garia already so frustrating

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

This is not the first time...

Aine Sabine's picture

I've read a lead character who forgets the last person to make them feel that way. She thought the same thing about Keren! Kinda bugs me because I know it happens in real life as well.

Wil

Aine

Life...

Is messy, then you get emotions involved in it... Very strange how it can seem that you are totally attracted to someone, then be away from them for a few hours with someone else who is very attentive and discover that you were at least somewhat attracted to them... The weirdest part can be when you are attracted to someone you really thought you couldn't possibly feel that way about. But learning to control yourself so that you don't act on all (or even most of) your feelings is part of growing up!
Terry and Keren will sort things out eventually as will Garia...

Vacation spot

Jamie Lee's picture

Gariaxhas now been away from the palace and the city twice now, before she got to the palace and now at the castle. Her memory was vacant the first time, but now she's taking in everything and it's brand new, like going to a part of the country you've never been.

Coming from Kansas, a State that's basically flat, and having spent the last few months in an area that's basically flat, going to the castle is quite the change.

How much further they can now see because of the idea Garia introduced which has really taken off in that there is now a demand for the telescopes. They had the means to produce them, but not the thought to do so.

The saddle demonstration went well, and it did surprise them when Garia called Snep and it came to her. And it gave them more to think about when it was explained that with the new saddles came a new relationship with the frayen.

Is Terinar taking an interest in Garia or just being polite? So far he's acting like Keren has at the palace, showing an interest in her and not what she now has. And he hasn't tried to prevent her from doing that which she has been doing, or hinting at where a woman's proper place should be.

Tradition says she and Keren can't wed, but nothing says it can't be Terinar if that's what's written in the sky.

Others have feelings too.