The Way Station

Printer-friendly version

This is a short story I wrote many years ago. It was posted to the old Big Closet and a friend of mine suggested I post it again.

You can find the strangest things in a City Park

The Way Station
By Paul Carmichael

"Mom? Do I have to go over there with you?" I asked, as I followed my mother to a long line of waiting moms and kids. "I'm supposed to meet Charlie back at the Mall."

"Peter, will you be quiet, and get in line?"

I tried to peer around all the other people in line, without any luck. I walked ahead a few paces, until Mom called me back. "This is just great, we'll be here forever. Couldn't I go back and wait for you by the playground?"

"Not this time, kid. This really won't take as long as you think, and you have to stay with me."

"I'm twelve years old, Mom. You don't have to treat me like a little kid."

"You've shown me, over and over that I can't treat you like a big kid, Peter, now be quiet."

After a while, the line started moving and I saw a large sign up in the distance. I squinted until I made out the words, "Baby Changing Station."

"What?" I demanded. "What do I need a changing station for, Mom.”

"It's not that kind of station."

"Then what is it?" This time, I trotted down the line ignoring my mother's warning. I found a large booth, tended by a tall man in a white uniform. Machines of all sorts hummed, and blinked inside the booth.

I stood out of the way to watch as a mother set a baby down on the booth's counter. She unwrapped the baby from two blankets, took off his diaper and handed the man a small collar. He wrapped the collar around the baby's neck, pressed a few buttons on the panel behind him, and a yellow light covered the counter. The baby cooed and gurgled as he tugged at his collar.

Fur. I watched fur grow out from the baby's tummy and up both legs. He rolled over as a tail grew from behind. Two minutes later, the kid's turned to puppy. The new dog bounced around on four legs with his tail wagging up a storm. The mom, now owner, attached a leash to the puppy's collar and took him from the counter.

"That was some change," I said out loud.

The next mom, settled a toddler on the counter. This time, she took off the little girl's dress, and a moment later, dressed her new son.

I must have stood there, like an open mouthed fool, as I watched boys turn to girls, and girls to boys. Another assortment of toddlers turned to anything from kittens to parakeets. This was crazy.

I ran back to Mom, to find her in the middle of the line. "What's going on, Mom? Changing babies is one thing, but changing them to animals is another. What am I doing here?"

Mom reached into her bag, and pulled out a dark red blouse with denim skirt. "You're going to be a beauty, Pete. From now on, though, you will answer to Alexis. I've always loved that name, and...."

"No way. Not a chance will I ever be a girl. I'd rather be a dog."

"That, too, can be arranged, Alexis." She took a dog collar and leash from her purse.
"That's it, I'm out of here," I said and ran for the back of the line. I bumped into a wall, maybe a force field, but I couldn't see it or get through it. I ran may hands along the wall, and followed it back to Mom.

"This is it, kid," she said.

"But Mom, what did I ever do to you? You can't just change me into someone else."

"No, I can't, which is why we came here. After all, you are still my baby,"

I blushed. "Mom, will you stop that. I'm not a baby, and I'm not going to be a girl."

"Well, not a baby, then, they couldn't do this if you were thirteen."

"Lucky me," I said. "What are you going to tell Dad when I come home in that skirt?"

"Nothing. Once we leave this area no one will remember what you were before. You will always have been Alexis, but just think, after this we're going horseback riding."

"What for? I don't like horses."

"You will in a few minutes, honey. Trust me, all little girls love horses."

This time, I stomped on the ground. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"Alexis, I've told you and told you what I expected from you, as a young man, and you still defy me at every turn. Therefore, I am not going to give you another chance, and you will be a young lady instead."

"I told you, I'd rather be a dog."

"Then put this on, and take of your clothes. You will be a dog until you stop this tantrum or you get to the front of the line."

"Okay," I snatched the collar out of her hand and put it on. "There, see, I...." I fumbled for my shirt and tugged it off as Mom snapped the leash on me. My pants dropped off as I felt my tail grow in and start to wag. I dropped down to my hands and feet, and waited as my legs adjusted in length.

"Mom, look," some little kid shouted. "That boy doesn't have any clothes on."

"See, Taylor, that boy is going to be a doggie, just like you. Would you like to go over and play with him?"

I squatted down, so what, I was a dog after all, and watched as that mom undressed her toddler, and sent him over my way. I stood back up on all fours, and waited. He dropped down to all fours as well and started bouncing around me.

"I'm a doggie, too," he said.

I bent over and licked his forehead. He stopped bouncing as I washed him. He yipped until I lay down on my side. He buried himself in my side and nursed. I turned my head to watch the other nipples grow in down my side. I should have known, a girl either way.

Three more puppies joined the first, and I lay there until Mom called me. It wasn't bad. Not bad at all. I gave the puppies a last lick as I followed Mom up to the counter. She picked me up, and set me in front of the man in white.

"She is a handsome dog, and almost all changed," he said petting me.

"Not this time. I brought her here to be a girl, a human girl, and that is what she will be. Alexis, stop this nonsense, now, and sit up. You need to get dressed. Can't let the kids get away with everything," Mom said.

I sat up and held my arms up for my skirt and blouse. "We are going riding next, aren't we."

"Of course we are, sweetie," she said and brushed my hair into a pony tail. "Get your shoes on, and thank the nice man for his help."

"Thank you," I said as I hopped down from the counter. Mom took my hand as we walked to the car.

I knew that this was going to be such fun. I was going to be a girl instead of a dog. I didn't have a choice, now, but I promised myself that I had seven months to teach my mother a new meaning for the word bitch.

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First, welcome to BC/TS. Second, this story is proof positive

that some kids just never learn. Oh well, I am waiting to see if you continue this or not. It would be so much fun to read about the adventures of Alexis and her mother.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

The Way Station

I knew that this was going to be such fun. I was going to be a girl instead of a dog. I didn't have a choice, now, but I promised myself that I had seven months to teach my mother a new meaning for the word bitch. THAT tells me that things will br very interesting in this household.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cute story

I hope you'll be writing more.

thank you for sharing this

thank you for sharing this story again with us. Oh what great ending.

Although I wouldn't normally read something like this...

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...because of the forced-femme subject matter, this seems promising. Our transformee has a bit of a spine, and although mom might have won this battle, she's going to lose the war. Were there any justice, mom would be among the transformees herself. (Too bad thirteen is the cutoff age). I wonder how she would look with a tail??....

I'm interested in knowing about the world in which this takes place. Some sort of fascist nightmare state must have taken power for people to so cavalierly use such a technology as this. A state in which the word "ethics" has no meaning. (Scientific and medical ethicists, as well as clergy, would be hopping mad, one would think).

Imagine the enormous potential for good: one could cure any disease imaginable. Disfigurement and disability would be unheard of (at least for younger folks) and if a way could be found for adults to be transformed, they would be virtually immortal.

But as with any new technology, there's a wide gulf between what it could be used for and how it's actually used. So we get mothers who use it to punish their children for...what? Having their own opinions? We don't know the nature of the boy's defiance, but given mom's control-freak tendencies, having an opinion of one's own would be enough to infuriate her.

I keep thinking about the poor little girl who became a little boy, because (apparently) that's what the mother wanted. Now, I know the transformation is partly mental as well, but assuming some of the core personality remained, that could still be very hard on the child. Imagine his finding out, as an adult, that he had been a girl once. If he had grown up with an undefinable feeling of something being "wrong", that news would be devastating.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

Not a fan of forced femme at all...

but this story leaves the opening at the end for revenge/poetic justice. That gives me hope. Please continue. This is a forced femme I might actually enjoy.

Hugs,
Erica

Welcome back to BC. Works as a one off or as an intro chapter

As a one off I expect a lot left for the reader to fill in.

As an intro chapter *I* need the scene set and clues as to what is going on.

Works both ways.

Short story or multi chapter I wonder what did the boy do that was so disobedient he deserved this? What of the girl made into a boy? That mom wanted a designer boy to match her new furniture?

And changing kids into animals? Clearly magic is at play here as the mom said no one else would ever remember she was once a boy.

WTF???

And why a cut off of 13? Due to body changes at puberty or for legal reasons? But then magic has its own strange logic.

I sure wouldn't want to live in this *universe* and it looks like mom will *get hers* in spades in a few months. In a universe where a child can be changed in moments into another sex or even species what is to say something equally nasty can't happen top these disgusting mothers or the magic user providing this amoral *service*? What goes around comes around is more than just a saying. And there is always someone out their bigger and more powerful than you.

Plus Karma IS a bitch. And her new daughter has made a silent vow to show her Dear Mother what a bitch she can be.

-- GRIN --

Oh welcome back to BC.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I notice mom said"Not this time."

Did she change her child before or another child now a pet? Or her husband years ago? What was she talking about? Just a figure of speach or something sinister?

John in Wauwatosa

It always amazes me...

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...that mothers in stories like this illogically believe that a simple change of gender/gender role can in itself change a defiant boy into a compliant girl. Our protagonist, from all indications, is going to prove that belief wrong. I truly love stories like this, which take standard tropes and turn them inside-out.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel