A New Style of Education - Part 61

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page

Part 61


Part 61

Monday 20th February 2006

"I see you have a bit more control," opened Rachel. I was in her office for a debriefing on how the previous night had gone.

"Sorry?" I responded, after trying to work out what Rachel meant.

"You didn't have a silly grin at breakfast."

I didn't know if Rachel meant that Helen and I had controlled ourselves after I'd gotten back and restrained ourselves from anything frowned upon by the school, or that we'd managed to stop ourselves from smiling after breaking the school rules.

I decided to go with something neutral. "That's one thing about the school, you get to improve."

Rachel smiled at that. "A nice response. So tell me about yesterday's adventure."

I outlined the trip, leaving out the details of the driver and the mystery woman. I'm sure that Rachel knew who drove us to the BAFTA's, and wouldn't need me to tell her.

"A record," sighed Rachel. "You managed to compress a complete evening into four minutes, twenty seconds."

"Is that good?" I queried, hopefully.

"It's ridiculous. I know at times it is good to the point quickly, but it doesn’t help me understand your feelings. You just summarised the evening in the most unemotional words possible."

"Oh." I didn't know what else to say. I had a fleeting thought about apologising, but I wouldn't know what I was apologising for. Mr Hobson and Stacy both seem happy when I tell them things without the fluff.

It took a few seconds before Rachel gathered her thoughts and posed the next question. "So what stars did you see?"

"I bumped into Rupert Grint," I said, remembering how I almost crashed into him when coming out of the toilets. I still didn't know how I missed him; his ginger hair did make him stand out a bit.

"I hope not literally."

"Well it was close," I admitted.

"Did you get his autograph?"

"No," I sighed, remembering how much I wish I'd had an autograph book with me. "It wouldn't have been right. I mean I was there as a young rich person who probably would have attended lots of events like that. If I was outside the cinema then perhaps I would have been screaming at them for their autograph."

"You would also have been soaked."

"That’s true. I saw Daniel Radcliffe and he looked like somebody had poured a bucket of water over him."

Rachel stopped and put her PDA on the coffee table. I wondered if it was her way of saying that she wouldn't be taking any notes; not that I'd seen her taking any so far.

"So," she started, and I braced myself for the inevitable questions. "How did you find it mixing with film stars?"

This wasn't the question I expected and it through me. "I ... I ..." I paused before trying again. "It was fun. I never thought I would ever do anything like that. And when I was in there they seemed to be human."

Rachel laughed a bit at that.

"What?" I complained.

"Sorry. It was just the way you said they were human. What else would they be?"

"They seem so unreachable. The big stars earn so much money and always seem to be dressed so nicely."

"It's just a job," Rachel pointed out.

"I know, but it never seemed that way before."

"And now?"

"In the after award party they seemed really friendly. I suppose some had drunk a little, but even so they didn't seem as distant as I thought they were."

"So do you have any gossip?"

In spite of being in Rachel's office, I laughed. That was something that didn't happen in here very often.

"I don't think so."

"That’s a shame. I could have made a fortune selling the story to Okay magazine."

"I'm sure they had someone there."

"I'm sure they did," Rachel agreed. "So, you found going to something like this rather fun?"

"I suppose some of it was," I agreed. "At first I was really frightened, which is why I had to go to the toilet; I thought I was going to be sick. After a little bit, though, I found myself relaxing."

When the chat finished, I left I feeling slightly bewildered. Not once had Rachel mentioned gender issues. We just chatted about the evening, who I saw and what I did. She didn't even mention Andy or ask how we'd got on.

When I went into the year room I was surprised to see that Helen wasn't there, so I pulled out my PDA. She was running late with Andy on handover business.

"Are you okay?" asked Jill, who'd come and sat beside me. "You looked confused when you came in."

"I've just spent an nearly an hour with Rachel talking about last night."

"And?"

"Well it didn't make sense. I thought she would have asked how I felt, but we just chatted about what I did and who I saw."

"So, how did you feel about last night?"

I shrugged. "It was okay, I suppose."

Jill burst out laughing which caused the rest of the year to look our way.

"I think that Rachel knows you too well. If she'd just come out and asked you how you felt, then I doubt you would have given her a different answer. She just talked to you about it, and probably got a lot more information about how you felt."

I didn't know what to think of that. I mean it didn't sound so bad, as it seemed more natural. I'm sure there were good reasons why physiatrists don't just chat. Perhaps it is more open to interpretation, but it seemed good to me as I didn't have to think about how I felt.

"That's great," I responded, the confusion dissipating.

"I doubt Rachel feels the same."

"Probably not, but I just hate explaining how I feel about the whole gender thing. I mean why can't I just be me?"

"Nobody's stopping you. However, it gets really confusing not knowing how to treat you."

"Huh? But surely you just treat me the same?"

Jill looked exasperated. "I wouldn't talk about makeup with Lewis or Brian. Just look how upset they got about the sleepover."

"Yes, but-." I wasn't allowed to finish.

"Often I can't tell if you are supposed to be Jayne or David. Clothes often say one thing, but often you behave the opposite."

I looked around the room and saw some discrete nodding. They were carrying on with what they were doing, but you could tell that they were listening.

I sighed. "I know. I hate acting like David, but I don't think I want to live as Jayne."

"Then you're going to have a very interesting life."

That got a few sniggers from the rest of the year. I couldn't help it, but I sniggered too. It was such an outrageous thing to say, but maybe there was some truth in it.

"So how was last night?" asked Anna from the floor, all pretence of not listening gone.

"It was fun. But I've no idea if I'd have had just as much fun if I'd been as David."

"So which stars did you see?" asked Emma, as we went to lunch.

My explanation was interrupted as Helen appeared just as we went into the dining room. I was so glad Helen wasn't late. When she heard what I was talking about she insisted I started from the time we got there. It had been too late to tell Helen about it when I got in early this morning.

It wasn't until we were alone that night that again the previous day’s trip came into the conversation. "Everybody has been asking you how last night went, but how did you get on with Andy?"

"I'm surprised you didn't ask him this morning."

"We were busy with other issues. So?"

"He was a real gentleman. I was very nervous, but he helped me relax."

"That's great."

"I even got a kiss from him as he dropped me off."

Helen's eyes opened wider with that. "On the lips?" she asked, sounding shocked.

"No," I laughed. The laughter was more at her shock than what happened. "He kissed me on the cheek."

"And?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "It wasn't a big deal. It was just a good night kiss on the cheek from a good friend."

"Ah."

I decided she needed a bit of reassurance. "Nothing like kissing you."

She smiled and we started kissing only the way we did.

* * *

Tuesday, 21st February 2006

Another visit to see Rachel filling up my slot just before lunch. This was either self-study time or time gaining more in-depth computer knowledge with Julia. When I queried this at the start of my chat she said that Julia had not got me doing any extra computer studying for a few weeks.

"Are you going to see me every day?" I enquired, starting to worry.

"I hope not, but there are a few things that I want to help with. You made good progress yesterday with our chat."

"But we didn't discuss anything," I protested.

She gave a small smile. "Ah, but we did. However, sometimes I might not be able to be as indirect as yesterday was."

"But-"

"Do you want to have your commitment ceremony before or after the next school trip?"

"Before. I've already mentioned this a hundred times already."

"I know. Let me put it differently. Can you remember when Fran and Ingrid had their ceremony?"

I nodded.

"Can you describe what they were wearing?"

I did so, right down to their blue sashes.

"That's one heck of a memory," commented Rachel. "Would you say they looked pretty?"

"Stunning. Their dresses were just part of that. The hair and makeup helped, but it was the sheer radiance they-" I paused, not wanting to say it. However, I couldn't think of a better word. "It was the radiance they ... radiated."

"Now think back to Sunday night. Were there any women there wearing clothes as nice?"

"More expensive, yes. More exquisite, may be. However, none shone like Fran and Ingrid both did.

Rachel gave a small smile, but made no comment.

"Now think about your upcoming celebration. Imagine what Helen will be wearing. You are at the front of the room and you turn around to see Helen walking through the door."

I smiled at the thought. I'd no idea what Helen was going to wear, but I imagined it to be a cross between what she wore for the revue and what Fran had worn.

"Excellent," carried on Rachel. "Now imagine that the ceremony is over and you have finished all the celebrations. It is just the two of you in your bedroom. You help Helen undo her dress and it slips down."

Rachel didn't need to say any more as the vivid picture set me vomiting. I was just glad that Rachel had stuck a waste bin in front of my face at the last second.

"Was this the same feeling you had when you were nearly ill on Sunday?" Rachel asked as she poured some sawdust over the sick.

"No," I answered straight away.

There was a moment's pause before Rachel realised I wasn't going to continue. "And how were they different?"

"Sunday was mostly fear."

"And now?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "It wasn't fear; that much I know. A bit for excitement, but also something else. I don't understand how to explain."

Rachel paused as she thought about her next attack. "Why don't we have a break for ten minutes? It'll give me chance to clean up."

I used the time to rush back to my room and clean my teeth. There was nothing worse than the foul taste of residual sick. When I got back to Rachel's office there was no reminder of my incident and there was a fresh bin by the desk. It was normally there for tissues if a chat got emotional; however it seemed to be a good sick bucket for me.

"Do you have a magic wand or something?" I enquired as I took my usual seat.

Rachel smiled. "You aren't the first student to be sick. Thought, perhaps you have one of the most unusual reasons. The cupboard down the corridor has a stack of spare bins. The one you used earlier was taken away to be cleaned."

"Sorry if I caused more work."

"All part of the job and it gave me a good chance to think about what you've been telling me. You were sick on Sunday because you were frightened. Yet when you were in Moscow you were in a more dangerous situation, but you weren't sick during or after the event."

I shrugged. "I've no idea. In Moscow I was trying my best not to see anybody or be seen. On Sunday it was the opposite. I was dressed up and was mixing with the elite in the film industry."

"But you were dressed like that to fit in, not to stand out. If you'd worn clothes similar to what you wore in Russia then everybody would have been looking at you."

"It was so different from what I've done before that it didn't occur to me until I realised that nobody was paying me any attention."

"The school is a place of learning. I'm sure you will be getting a lot more experience of different things before you leave."

"I'm sure," I agreed, giving a wry smile.

"Sorry I made you sick earlier, but I'm afraid I've got some questions."

I sighed. "Go ahead. I hate the thought, but I would hate to be sick over Helen ... again."

"Let me recap, to make sure I'm remembering things correctly. You only get sick when you get thoughts of sex?"

"No, when I think that sex is a possibility. Do you have any ginger biscuits?"

"Did they help you last time?"

"Not really, but it is something to munch on if I get hungry."

Rachel laughed a bit. "It's good to see we've got a good honest dialog going here." She wandered across to her cupboard, brought out an old-fashioned biscuit tin and placed it on the table. "Don't have too many, or you'll spoil your lunch."

I took off the lid and peered in. There weren't just ginger biscuits, but a wider selection. I took a Garibaldi biscuit and looked expectantly at Rachel.

"For the rest of today's session I want to talk about sex. Nothing you say will get you into trouble, so feel free to be open. If it gets too difficult for you then please say so. My aim isn't to get you to the point where you get sick, but to try and understand what you know and what you think about things. If you want to add a bit of how you feel, then please surprise me."

I thought about saying something sarcastic, but I could see that Rachel was trying her best to help so I just nodded and braced myself.

"What is sex for?"

"Sorry?" I instantly responded. I just couldn't help myself. I was expecting something a lot weirder than that.

"What is the purpose of sex?"

"To procreate?" I responded tentatively. I tried to be as formal as Rachel often is when discussing things. At this school I didn't have to hide a bit of learning.

There was a pause and I noticed Rachel looking at me like she was expecting me to say more.

"You know, to make babies," I added, wondering if perhaps I should keep things simple.

"I know what procreation is," responded Rachel. "Is that the only reason people have sex?"

I thought for a moment and realised that Rachel meant more than just the biological purpose. "Passion and pleasure. I suppose from some books I've read, also a sense of duty, for money and power."

"Now that's a more complete answer. If you don't mind I'll leave duty, money and power to your Life Skills class. I'm sure you will have interesting discussions on that topic there. For now I want to look a bit at passion and pleasure."

I nodded, glad that Rachel was guiding this conversation because I really had no idea what she was up to.

"The other month you got into trouble for inappropriate behaviour. What did you two plan? To make a baby?"

I shuddered at the thought of being a parent so young. "No. Anyway, Helen has an implant to stop that."

"Yes she does. But remember, no birth control apart from abstinence is totally fool proof. I'm not convinced that at the time you remembered that Helen had birth control implant. So if you weren't trying to make a baby, then why were you having sex?"

I thought about that night and frowned. I knew what had driven us to that situation, but it wasn't something I could share. "We weren't trying to make a baby," I eventually responded in the hope that would be enough for Rachel. It wasn't though.

"So what was the spark then?"

I shook my head. I hated saying no to a member of staff, but there wasn't any way I could answer. "Sorry, but there was many reasons which led to it. This doesn't just involve my feelings, but also Helen's. I don't want to talk about this without Helen being in the discussion."

I expected a backlash, but Rachel actually gave me a smile. "Thank you for your reason, it helps. Remember there are times when you have to break confidences, especially when someone's life depends on it. However, I hope that isn't something you have to worry about yet. I'm going to ask some questions that are a bit personal. I'm sorry if they offend you."

I nodded my consent.

"Have you ever masturbated?"

It's a good job I wasn't chewing on a biscuit or I think I would've choked.

"No," I spat out, embarrassed at her asking me such a question.

"You've never even tried it?" she persisted.

"No," I again responded, this time more quietly. "Do you?"

"Sometimes," she responded, without batting an eyelid. "Especially if I've been left hanging."

I didn't know what Rachel meant by that last statement and I wasn't sure if I really wanted to know. I think there is something worse than hearing your parents have sex and that is your psychiatrist admitting they sometimes masturbate.

"I heard some boys at my old school talking about it, so I tried it once. Nothing really happened. I felt it was a bit sordid and selfish."

"Selfish?" Rachel asked, pouncing on the word like a lion pouncing on its prey.

"Like it was all about me. I was doing it to get pleasure, which isn't what something like that is about."

I expected a request for more information, but I didn't get it. Just another question on a similar topic.

"Have you ever had a wet dream?"

"Yes," I whimpered. "Twice. Once around November time. The other time was last week."

"What was Helen's reaction?"

"She doesn't know. When it happened I slipped out of bed, cleaned them of the sticky stuff, washed the affected area and put on clean underwear like what I'd been wearing."

"Hide the evidence?"

"I suppose. I didn't want her asking me about it. You aren't going to tell her, are you?"

"It isn't my intention," Rachel responded. "However, don't you think that hiding it like that is untruthful?"

"I didn't want her thinking I'd wet the bed."

"Have you not covered things like effects of puberty in life skills yet?"

"Not yet."

"Then a word of warning to you. Things like what I've asked you will be covered in that lesson at some stage."

"Oh joy!"

"Going back a bit. You said you found masturbation a bit selfish, because you were getting pleasure. Don't you think that you deserve pleasure?"

"Yes, and I get pleasure in other things. It's just that seems to be self-serving."

"Helen likes her food, does that make her self-serving?"

"No. It isn't something she hides and does herself. We eat together. Now if she snuck off to eat a bar of chocolate and then hid it, then that would be something I might disagree with."

"I'm beginning to see your logic. Now one that is slightly different. Do you think that Stacy was selfish in her decision for gender surgery?"

I paused at that and while I formulated my answer took a Jammie Dodger. Rachel tutted, and after taking a custard cream, put the lid back on the biscuit tin.

"Yes," I eventually said. "I think it is the type of decision that has to be selfish. The whole reason was for Stacy to finish that part of her journey. The decision had to be based on what she needed and nobody else."

"So some things can be selfish, interesting," muttered Rachel.

I was starting to feel wound up. "Rachel, you just ask me questions which I answer, but you hardly ever tell me if I'm right or wrong."

"Because often there are no right or wrong answers. I'm not here to tell you how to run your life or what to think. I'm here as a guide or to give assistance. I'm asking you these questions to help you think about how you feel on a subject that you have difficulty with. I might point things out which you hadn't thought about, which may or may not help."

"So this chat might not help me stop being sick?"

"If we don't examine the topic then a solution won't be found. If we look at the issue then we might find what is causing you to be sick."

"You think it is a mental issue?"

"Arousal upsets you, but doesn't make you sick. Only the thought of having sex. This doesn't point to a chemical causing it, but something that you feel is so wrong you react badly. Are you okay to continue?"

"Sure," I said, feeling rather hopeless and a bit useless.

"Let's jump forward a year. Andy and Stacy have left school and are making love."

I interrupted. "Isn't that a bit personal?"

"Probably, but I'm just using it as an example to help visualise things. Now Stacy can't have a baby, so that isn't why they are having sex. Who gets pleasure from it?"

"They both do?"

"I hope so. But this is how it is different from masturbation, they both get pleasure from each other. It isn't self-gratification."

"Oh."

"One more thing to think about and it might be a bit difficult." Rachel got up and moved the biscuit tin and put the waste basket in front of me. "If you're going to be sick, I don't want it over the biscuits."

I gave a small nervous laugh at that.

"I don't want you to think about sex at all. This isn't what it this part is about. Remember the outfit Helen wore at the revue?"

"Yes."

"Remember the special lingerie she was wearing underneath. Now who was that designed to give pleasure to?"

"Her," I said instantly. I saw Rachel's eyebrows rise as if she was challenging me.

After a moment's thought it was like a light bulb suddenly illuminated over my head. "Both of us. She got pleasure from wearing it, but it was also designed to be shown to me; to give me pleasure."

"By Jove! I think he's got it!"

I laughed; it was almost a quote from one of my Dad's favourite movies. I then sobered up as I thought more about it. "I spoilt it."

"It backfired a bit," agreed Rachel, "but I wouldn't worry about it. You are both a bit young and certainly too young to have sex. Enjoy your youth while you can."

I walked slowly back to the year room. There were a few minutes before lunch and I wanted to think about what had been said. Were my other issues with gender presentation also caused because I had set ideas about what I am? Did I think that I could never experience pleasure? There was just so much to think about. I wish I was closer to my brother. It would have been the type of question that a younger brother could ask their older brother.

When I opened the door into the year room, nine pairs of eyes looked up and glanced at me. Helen must have seen the look of confusion on my face as I saw her expression turn to concern.

"It was just a difficult session, which I'll tell you about later." I explained as I sat down next to her. "It wasn't bad, just a lot for me to think about."

"I find food is always good for helping think about difficult things," said Lewis. "Shall we go and get lunch?"

"Couldn't you have mentioned that before I'd sat down," I joked, getting back up.

Helen laughed. "I think Lewis is right, food is just the answer you need."

Everyone was good, they saw I needed a bit of space so didn't pry. I knew Helen would ask later. One of the downsides of being introspective was never being left alone, just in case I got suicidal again. I didn't hear anybody plan it, and there was nothing said about it, but for that day there wasn't a time I was alone.

After the evening meal I knew I couldn't leave it any longer. "I've got a practice room booked for tonight. Does anybody else want to take it?"

We all practiced when we could, but there were only a limited amount of practice rooms. Practicing in our bedrooms was possible, but it wasn't something we liked to do. There were just so many distractions there.

"Ooh, please," said Brian quickly and got an elbow in his side by Emma.

"Why, do you want it?" Brian retorted.

Emma just shook her head and then asked me the question that I'm sure they'd all been thinking all day. "You've been thoughtful all day. Do you want to talk about it?"

I snorted, and then quickly realised that I was being rude. Emma, and all the others, probably just wanted to help. "Sorry. It's just something I was discussing with Rachel. It's a bit personal. The only one I'll discuss it with is Helen."

"Do you want a joint practice?" piped up Helen. She'd been by my side all afternoon, radiating comfort, but had never suggested we talk.

I almost smiled. "I think a chat in my bedroom would be better. Why don't we let Brian and Emma fight it out for the practice room?"

I thought Helen would have dragged me out of the room, but she waited until I got off the settee and went at my speed. It was a silent brisk walk to my room and I wondered if Helen was mad at me. However, once we were in the privacy of our room she let out a sigh.

"Was it that bad?" she asked as the door shut. Her voice was full of concern and I wondered if she was about to burst into tears.

"We were discussing why I sometimes get sick."

"Hang on," said Helen. She'd taken out her PDA, after a few seconds typing she put it on my bedside table. "That should stop Rachel rushing in if you get too upset."

I couldn't help but laugh a little. I remembered when I was chatting with Andy and Rachel had burst in. After removing our shoes, we climbed onto the bed and lay down, facing each other.

"I thought you knew why you got sick," mused Helen. "When you think there is a possibility of sex."

"Sort of. Anyway, we were discussing my views on certain things to see if any ideas came to mind."

"And?"

I bit my lip and looked away from Helen's gorgeous face.

"It's okay," said Helen gently. "You know you can say anything and I won't be upset."

I swallowed and looked up at her, my bottom lip still between my teeth. She looked so earnest. I blurted out, "Do you ever masturbate?"

The look of shock flickered across her face, which was too much. I rolled away and off the bed, stumbling onto my feet.

Helen was holding me before I got much further and dragged me firmly to the edge of the bed. "Yes, not often, but yes. Sorry, if I upset you. I don't know what I expected you to ask, but that wasn't it."

I burst into tears. I felt so bad. Was it my fault?

"Hey, it's okay," murmured Helen.

"I'm sorry," I cried, while trying to wipe the tears away.

"Tell me what you and Rachel discussed."

After calming down, I relayed what I could. As I poured out my memories, Helen just sat there and stroked my cheek.

When I finished, Helen said, "That sounded like a pretty intense session."

That made me start crying all over again. However, these weren't tears of anguish, but relief. Helen seemed to understand.

"And don't worry about what happened after the revue. I wasn't upset with you, but was upset that I'd caused you to be ill. At the time we didn't know what made you ill. Now that we know, we can avoid these things."

"I'm not doing it deliberately and I don't want to be ill like that."

"I know. You are discussing it with Rachel and if you need to test how you are doing, I'm sure I can dress appropriately. We are both young and have all the time in the world. Just remember, I love you and if you get worried, just think these four words — 'I love you forever'."


Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
366 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A New Style of Education - Part 61

I believe that the problem that David/Jayne has getting sick when it comes to ex stems from when David and Helen were caught and punished for breaking the "NO SEX" rule and the stigma included his being Jayne until he has a problem in being either David or Jayne. Perhaps it would be best to dress gender neuter and be whoever he wants to be.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Some interesting...

David's got quite a few interesting issues to work through... Who he (if he is the correct pronoun) is. How he presents (and when). How he reacts to others...

It seems it's not necessarily thoughts of sex per-say that make him get sick (he didn't get sick after his sleep in with Stacy - in Russia, after all. But, he did get VERY embarrassed). Seems to me, it's more thoughts of Romantic Sex.

Looking forward seeing more.

Annette

A New Style of Education - Part 61

This was a very thought-provoking chapter. It was interesting to watch how subtle Rachel can be to get the answers she is looking for. Through understanding his problem, David is slowly coming closer to a solution. Isn't it wonderful how supportive the students of that school are?

I'm glad he/she was able to talk about things

Renee_Heart2's picture

I'm glad that David/Jaine were able to talk about somethings about what makes him/her sick I think David really wants to be Jaine all the time but is scared that Hellin will stop leaving him/her. The posiblity of sex makes him/her sick & Rachel's questions were valid in trying to figure out why David/Jaine gets sick just thinking about the posiblity of sex.

Great chapter look foward to chapter 62.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I wonder if there isn't a deeper issue

It seems that David / Jayne got sick only when the act of sex was about him only. When Rachel made him see that sex was about Helen also, he had a different outlook. Is it possible that there David experienced some trauma at home that is causing him this problem?

always

as usual im always glad to see a new chapter of a new style of education. although i somestimes feel like i need to start over over and catch with all the characters but thats just me. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

David

David is irritating me, I know this school permits the stretching of boudaries but he is acting like a child expecting more when he is not ready for it. He needs to understand himself and his gender and sexual issues- what it making him sick - before any commitment ceremony.
I find the for all his worldly maturity, he is still an immature child as a person.
I am enjoying the story Karen.

Another good chapter

Another good chapter, Karen. Thank you.

I know sometimes David acts childish, but he is a child (15??). He definitely needs to work through his issues and this environment seems well suited to help him understand himself through experimentation and counselling. I wish I'd been in a school like that when I was in high school.

Mark <3

Karen Page has done it again...

A New Style of Education part 61 is as fresh and well written as the previous 60 chapters. I always love reading her works. She's just THAT DAMN GOOD!

Huggles Karen

Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Karen Page

D. Eden's picture

I recently found this series and devoured the entire thing over one weekend. Karen Page has not only written a wonderful series, but also created a fascinating world and very real yet interesting characters. I truly can not wait to see the rest of the story, and I have found myself seeking out any related stories and reading them as well.

Please don't leave us hanging Karen - I am confident that I am not the only one awaiting your next chapter, and I would love to see anything else that you have written. Your writing is outstanding.

Thanks for creating something so spectacular.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Did you read...

Did you read her "precursor" series - that feed into this one? (Including characters)? If not, you should...

Annette

Precursor series

D. Eden's picture

I'm not sure - what is the title of the series? Thanks for mentioning it!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

A Different Plane of Existence

D. Eden's picture

I finished reading it last night. You were absolutely right - it was just as good. Like everything of Karen's that I have read, it has left me wanting more.

Thanks for the recommendation, and if you have any more feel free to pass them on.

I truly appreciate your responding to my comment and telling me about her additional series. It's always nice to find someone whose good taste matches your own, lol.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

You can...

You can find more of her stuff by going to her page (Her name is clickable! You'll find everything she's posted on a series of pages.) Karen Page.

Many of her "fans" also enjoy Penny's stories about a parallel school in the USA. You can find hers - by clicking the "Authors" link at the top of the page and scrolling down to "Penny Reed Cardon". She has two stories - one where her characters get to the school - and a second (hills) where they're at the school. You ran into "Matilda" in Karen's stories about the trip to Russia.

Annette

Matilda

D. Eden's picture

Thanks, I've already read the series about Matilda, but I have yet to read the Hills series. If it's as good as the other, then I am sure that I will enjoy it.

Thanks again for pointing me toward them - I spent some time looking around at the S.P.A. Universe stories, and I have been working my way through them slowly but surely.

I still hope that Karen decides to add chapters to this story though! I miss reading about her characters.

Thanks again,

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks!

D. Eden's picture

I've already read Concrete Cows, but I will definitely find A New Plane of Existence.

Thanks very, very much!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Next parts

How many parts are ready and when they will come out?

After reading ALL of the

After reading ALL of the chapters in "A New Style of Education", and watching the characters grow. I'm impressed by the writing skills of the Authoress. BUT, now I will have to wait to see what happens to the students and staff of Hayfield Hall in thier next adventure. I hope it won't be too long in coming.

More than 53 weeks

Dear Karen, is there any chance about continuation of this wonderful story? Please?

Yours, Leontine

Left wondering

While it is your universe and you all have to see what everyone is doing so you can avoid headache's I am left wondering when any of the authors of this universe is going to update there stories cause it has been well over a year for any of these wonderful stories in this wonderful universe to be updated. Have all of you quit or something? Has life gotten that bad for all of you? Please can we get one of you to update soon pretty please?

Life ....

Love a good story, With a Beginning, Middle & End! 2 Down 1 to GO!
As you can tell, I am not a fan of modern TV. Especially US!
As for David's illness, well the most common cause of such things is past life experience. Not so clear in David's case but sexual abuse or witnessing such could cause such a reaction. He is observant! A repressed memory.
I had hoped that by chapter 61 I would have more answers. Unfortunately, given my memory, if more chapters are written I am unlikely to read them as they require the history of the past chapters to appreciate & it has taken 20-30hours to get this far. This is one thing I found inconsistent at times when Karen said one thing in one chapter & then several chapters later something different or missed events that where mentioned to happen.
More drama than action. Got bogged down in the detail at times. Good detail but not enough action to break it up. Not quite good enough to make me cry! But at times a good laugh. I like to empathise with the hero so was left wanting more.

Thank YOU!
John.

Don't let this go like so many other storys, incompleded

sonai67's picture

Dear Karen;

I have been reading this story, many times, to make sure I keep up with new chapters, and the story line. This 'New Style of Education' story is one of the best I have read that is dealing with transgender/gender dysphoric storyline. It has been a long time since your posting of chapter 61, and am Praying you have not lost interest in doing more of this story. This last post for the story was done july 17 2012, and has not been updated since. I am praying that you are both still alive and well, and hopefully able to continue this story.

With Deep Appreciation for your writing, I am respectfully requesting and praying for more of this story to be written.

Sincerely
Sonai67

Sonai67

New Style

Can only support the other comments - this series needs more. Its open enough to go on for a huge number of chapters, but there is such a thing as 'time' in the real world so the best we can hope for is that Karen can find enough to write the chapters necessary to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion.

Sad

That a good story hasn't been completed....

Joanna

new style

I can confirm Karen is upstairs writing part 62

Yes!!!

Having just read the saga for the fourth? time, I am very happy to hear that Karen is continuing the story. Please, please, please be true.

Agreed

Tas's picture

I've only just finished my second read through, but I'm very happy to hear she's going to continue :)

-Tas

Karen is upstairs?

sonai67's picture

Samantha?

by stating that Karen is upstairs are you saying that she has passed on, and that you are confirming that she has? or that she is actually upstairs working on the next chapters? Being since her last post was in 2012.

Sonai67

karen upstairs

she is actually upstairs writing the next part, she had to hold off as she has been busy with work etc,
I will remind her when she gets out of bed

Yeah!

So glad to hear this!

New Style of Education

I love this story. I just finished reading the whole thing for the sixth time and can't wait for more. I'm dying to read about David and Hellen's commitment ceremony. Keep up the great work Karen

Another Karen

David/Jayne

After reading the entire existing story for about the tenth time pieces of the puzzle seem to be falling into place for me. Before deserting Helen and the other girls David got along better with the girls than the boys. It sounds like he ate with them and related with them and was more or less "one of the girls." David can think about and talk about sex without getting sick. He seemed to enjoy pleasing Helen orally, as 2 girls might make love. It is only when he thinks about having sex as a male that he gets sick. I think David is transgendered and either hasn't figured it out yet, he is only fourteen, or is in deep denial.

This is an incredibly awesome story

I love the characters so much. I'm kind of sad, because for me I want the story to go on until after they graduate and I know that's demanding too much of the author.

It's an incredible concept for a school and I think everyone wishes they could have gone to a school that good.

I love the story because there is so much positive in it, and I'm amazed that there is also so much pain in it. I just really hope that David/Jayne can learn to deal with the issues that plague him/her so much.

a new style of education

What a great story, I hope there are more chapters to follow soon. Karen has a good imagination.
looking forward to more.

Dare I say

Jamie Lee's picture

Dare I say this is a fantastic story? Dare I say what marvelous writing that brings out the emotions of all characters? Oh wait, I just did.

Like it's counterpart about the school in the USA, this story was hard to stop reading in order to sleep. Both are that good, that interesting, and that heartfelt.

A few things struck me while reading this story, things which have yet to be realized or seem contradictory to what's being said.

What the first years have yet to realize is what the staff members are doing to put them in position to learn as the school wants.

For thirteen, fourteen, or what age the first year student, society, friends(?), classmates, and parents have been telling them what is acceptably and what isn't in every area of their life before going to Hayfield. In a sense they've been programmed. Told the dos and don'ts, basically told there is only on way to learn and the acceptable subjects.

Hayfield wants the students to learn, period. But before that happens, blocks which were implanted before Hayfield have to be disrupted, have to be broken, have to be undone. And each individual tragedy must be dealt with so it doesn't limit the students.

Only when this happens can the students start learning as Hayfield wants. And this is one problem David/Jayne has yet to realize, although he/she got a glimmer during the explicit talk with Rachel. He/she got that glimmer when he finally understood why Helen wore the special undergarments. Now if it could happen to other aspects of his/her life.

One other thing I saw was a contradiction of not being forced to do things. When David was on the verge of suicide he was gang marched to Rachel's office. And when Jill reveled she'd been raped, she was only given the option to talk to the group or Rachel. The option of not talking was never offered. Either/or is forcing Jill into something not of her choosing. Granted she had to choose who to talk to, but she was being forced to choose one or the other. Not talking to anyone about a problem is not an option at this school.

I've said this before with other stories whose characters are as caring and loving as in this story. There's a fine line between caring about, and loving a person, and smothering that person with care and love. Those who care and love a person must be cognizant of signs when they're needed and when to back off. Too much of one can be as detrimental as not enough of the other.

Because this is a wonderful story which is well written, I will be looking for the next chapters.

Others have feelings too.

I do enjoy this story and the

I do enjoy this story and the related ones also..!!
Please do continue as I think this is almost finished.

alissa

Mature subjects never considered

Jamie Lee's picture

Rachel is coving subjects David probably never considered or paid attention too. But what fourteen-year-old kid would? Or cover them as in depth?

It was rather strange when Rachel had him visualize that scene and he looked at his breakfast in the bucket, but when he remembered how Helen looked in her special underwear he didn't get sick. That almost suggest something in his past that shocked him badly. So badly it imprinted on his subconscious.

David also has a deep seeded guilt complex, possibly resulting from his time in the other school. If he got bullied when he spoke up or beatup because others didn't like his successes, then it could be he felt it was his fault or was constantly told it was his fault.

Even when talking to Helen concerning what they discussed, when he ask about Helen masterbating, and she looked shocked, he felt guilty because she was shocked by his question.

Two areas David has issues with, who he really is and his constant feeling feeling of guilt. If David ever had any self esteem it was knocked out of him at his old school.

Others have feelings too.