Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1803

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1803
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Over the next couple of days, I began to breathe more easily, didn’t need oxygen and started to do little things like visit the bathroom by myself. Okay, I was like a toddler walking round the furniture, but it beat using a commode which had been the earlier alternative.

When the nurses weren’t looking, I was doing exercises or walking round my room, which felt like a cell, but I was glad in some respects that I wasn’t in a shared ward, I just didn’t feel like being with people. Quite how I was going to cope when I got home worried me more than I liked to admit.

I still couldn’t concentrate to read–well to understand what I was reading–the mechanical bit of understanding the patterns of words was fine–it was making a meaning from them that I couldn’t be bothered to do. At times I became anxious about it. Okay, I was no Einstein, but I had two degrees and was working towards my doctoral submission–now I wondered if I’d ever finish it. I seemed to have lost my cutting edge and together with my increasing preference for solitude was turning me into a recluse.

When I tried to deal with this rationally, it was obviously due to a generalised weakness, not having the stamina to make my brain work for anything other than basic needs, such as mobility. I’d lost blood and might even be a touch anaemic, which would also add to my weakness and lack of energy. However, the doctors were talking about sending me home and I worried that I wouldn’t cope.

When Simon came in that evening, he met a red eyed weeping mess. Worse than that, I couldn’t tell him what was wrong–that he, along with the rest of humanity, was the problem. I began to wish I’d died, then I’d have been free of the onus of my life and someone else would have had to deal with it. I recognised I was depressed but I didn’t know what to do about it, save one thing, there was no way I was going to take any pills for it.

Simon left me in my incoherence and went to speak with the ward sister. She wasn’t there, so he got the staff nurse in charge and she wasn’t much help either. He left her with a demand to see the consultant the next day, then he came and told me what had happened and hugged me for a while. His visit was shorter than usual and I was glad when he went, sick of myself and angry with myself for being so useless to him. I kept thinking he should have married a proper woman instead of the ersatz one he chose.

I slept badly that night frightened of what would happen the next day. Would they decide I was mentally incompetent and lock me up somewhere? And frighteningly, would that be more pleasant than going home and facing up to my responsibilities?

I realised that over the past few years I’d taken in every waif and stray who’d crossed my path. I’d made a huge rod for my own back and was beginning to regret it. As they seemed to be coping without me, I began to wonder if they’d be better off without me altogether. I started to plan how I’d do it. Strange isn’t it that several people have tried to kill me and failed and now I’m thinking of how I might do it for them? Ironic or what?

The next day, I’d showered because one of the nurses bullied me into doing it. I thought about hanging myself from the shower fitment only to see that it wasn’t strong enough and I had no cord to use–I felt more useless and impotent than ever.

The same nurse bullied me into tidying my hair and dressing in day clothes, though I got my own back–I refused to eat breakfast. I also refused to speak with the doctor who came to see me–I just ignored him, retreating into my own little world. After ten minutes, he gave up and left me in peace. I’d won my first battle though it felt somewhat Pyrrhic in nature.

I think I might have nodded off because suddenly I heard Simon’s voice and he and some other bloke were arguing at times with raised voices. They both kept looking at me so I knew they were talking about me, but I wasn’t interested in hearing what they said.

Suddenly, Simon was pulling at my arm and I was shoved into a wheelchair and he pushed me out of the room and then the ward. He was muttering under his breath, so I don’t think he was very pleased with things. I was left in reception while he went to get the car. I did think about doing a runner, but didn’t have the energy any more than I did to throw myself under the bus that came past the hospital. I felt like I was an object of pity, sitting there in the wheelchair, and went further into myself.

After he manhandled me into the car–my car, by the way–he drove out of the hospital and instead of going to the house we went away from Portsmouth. I wasn’t sure if that pleased or worried me, it was just unexpected.

Then an hour or so later we turned into the clinic where Stella had spent so much time. I wasn’t sure if I felt good or bad about it, I think I just felt detached. I wouldn’t be here much longer, so they could do what they liked.

I was taken to a room, not unlike my hospital room, and very similar to the one Stella had stayed in. Simon hugged and kissed me and left promising to come back very soon. I didn’t really care, I wouldn’t be here anyway.

Some doctor bloke came and I ignored him too, he got fed up and left after telling me he’d soon have me better. I knew differently but wasn’t going to tell him.

I was brought pills and refused to take them. I was brought tea and refused to drink it. I also refused the food they brought. I had no need of food, not where I was going. I refused to change into my nightdress, so they left me alone.

A different doctor came and she tried to talk with me but I refused her any conversation, looking everywhere but at her. She sighed and got up and left. I felt my tummy rumbling and I felt a bit sick with wind, but it would pass–everything would, just a few more hours.

Still sitting in the chair, I tried to remember what of my own possessions I had with me. Nothing very sharp, nor was there a belt of any sort. This might not be as easy as I thought. I checked out the glass by the water jug and it was polythene or another of those unbreakable plastics.

I searched the room, I had nothing there I could use to put my solution into action. I’d have to get out and find a kitchen or somewhere that I could access something sharp or a piece of rope or thick string. That was when I found the door to my room was locked. It was a cell and I was a prisoner.

Unlike Stella’s room, I didn’t have a French window that opened onto the garden, just a window and that only had a fanlight that opened. I really was stuck here and I sat in my chair and wept.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy's meltdown

So why did they keep the girls from visiting their mum for the last days?

Martina

Depression

I'm glad Simon recognized her depression and took decisive action.

And Cathy need not be surprised that she can't find a way to off herself. The people running the psych ward have lots of experience dealing with suicidal patients. If she keeps trying, she might end up in a padded cell.

Oh heck

I don't think I want to comment on this chapter.

bev_1.jpg

Gloom and Despair

Cathy's condition reminds me of a song that was Popular on the TV show, "Hee-Haw" 40 or so years ago.

"Gloom, Despair, and agony on me!
Deep dark depression, excessive misery!
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all,
Gloom, despair and agony on me!"

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1803

Worried that Billie has not shown up to help her Mummy. And what about the Shekinah Glory? Why it it not helping?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The clinic

Full kudos to Simon for recognising the symptoms and transferring Cathy to the clinic. More video messages back and forth might be useful, perhaps even we'll see Stella visiting - a real case of "the boot on the other foot", given the previous two times Cathy's been in the clinic she's been the visitor and Stella's been the patient.

I think the issue's double-pronged: she feels completely useless at the moment, with limited mobility and concentration; while at home the household appears to be running fine without her. The main thing is to impress upon her that she's valued, makes a positive contribution to both the household and the students at the university, and will recover in time.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Painful

This chapter was very painful for me to read, it reminds me so much of my mother. The refusal to talk, to eat, take her medicines. Like Cathy, she is aware of what she has lost and her despair just tears me apart. I don't know how much longer I can take it. Cathy at least has Trish to kick-start her. Until then . . . .


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Stress, PTS maybe? Fatigue, depression on top of her....

crippled self image and no wonder she is suicidal.

She might have even suffered mild stroke like effects from nearly bleading out/suffocating on her own blood.

Her parents and their wakko religion put a huge load of self doubt, "I am not worthy" "Pride goeth before the fall" and so on shi* in her head she is still saddled with.

Having a long taught low self esteem childhood is crippling her.

She needs help YESTERDAY and the good man, the decisive man he can be when needed came out in Simon.

He must have recognized her sliding into suicidal depression and was royally pissed the hospital staff did not. And this was the posh upper class private provider hospital! He was paying for top notch care and got National Health standard instead.

One thought I have, is the nasty one, the one the Shekina gave Cathy the power to banish at all behind this? Just ordinary life temporally over whelming Cathy or is she being sent seriously negative *vibes"?

Hey if healing can be sent via the blue and sometimes other color light why not hateful, weakening energies too?
John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

That room have a twin beds?

Right now I am so ill that I have no trouble at all in empathising with Cathy. Too much evil afoot.

Get well Cathy.

Khadijah

Hitting Bottom

Catherin has so many things draining her energy at this time she is not aware she has not allowed herself any energy left for her self. Between the physical attacks and attempts on her life including the latest red neck in the truck trying to run her down. The excessive close calls trying to keep her pack safe. The loss of Billy her dearest child. Then add the stress of being a teacher house hold Goddess and Transgender Councilor.

Catherin has not even attempted to ask Shekina for help with the work that the Goddess has had her do. Shekina is not one of the monsters under her bed but her patron who holds Catherin in the highest esteem. But Catherin must ask as Shekina for help letting the Goddess know it is of Catherin's own free will the power is requested. That is why no blue light as of yet.

Catherin is not able to give all the energy required to do what has been assigned to her she needs to accept that there are things larger than any philosophy or theosophy can dream of. And Shekina is one of those beings.

And before any one asks I speak from a position of been there done that for 20 plus years until I figured out What part of the formula was my responsibility and what part was my guides.

Catherin gets a Goddess because of the higher level work she has to do. I have a ascended healer who loves me dearly as I do her, Catherin has the much harder job description so no I am not jealous only sympathetic to her plight.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Poor Cathy

This is an unexpected turn. We expect Cathy to have a somewhat negative self image, but not this. I do hope that it's just a complication of not overdosing on garlic. She has to much to live for, and too much to do in her life. The kids, Simon, Tom, and everyone else in her life need her.

Red MacDonald

Worrying times

for Simon, Thankfully he acted in a decisive manner and took Cathy to a place where he knows she will get the treatment she needs, It worked for Stella so lets hope it works for Cathy...

Kirri