Mooooom! Joey is at it again.

Printer-friendly version

"Mooooom! Joey is at it again."

"What is Joey at again?"

Robin stomped into the kitchen, "Joey is upstairs. In my room. Wearing my clothes! You remember what happened last time, I still can't wear that sweater without getting teased, and it's my favorite sweater."

Mrs. Daniels stared at Robin for a moment, then nodded, "I'll go take care of Joey right now."

Robin followed as Mrs. Daniels went up to confront Joey. She flung open the door to Robin's room, and yelled, "Josephine Michelle Daniels, what do you think you are doing?"

"Mom, I'm just..."

"I don't care, take your brother's clothes off this instant."

"But mom..."

"No buts, I said this instant," she glared at her daughter.

"But he's right there watching."

Mrs. Daniels just continued to glare, and Josephine started to undress. She pulled her brother's sweater vest off first, then began unbuttoning the Oxford shirt. She sat down and removed his shoes and socks, before pulling off his trousers.

As she stood there hesitantly in just his BVDs and undershirt, her mom said, "Everything."

She glanced at her brother in the doorway, before pulling off his undershirt and then pulling down his BVDs. Her mom looked at her, "Good, now go get dressed we have some shopping to do."

Joey fled from the room trying to cover herself. Mrs. Daniels, shook her head, then looked at her son as he picked up his sweater vest. "Don't worry, we'll wash it and lay it flat to dry. There will be no stretched out bumps for anyone to see."

"Good the last time was bad enough," Robin said, thinking back to the weeks worth of teasing he had gotten that had culminated in finding that someone had switched his normal underwear with a bra and panties during gym class.

Mrs. Daniels tousled her son's hair, what little there was, and said, "I'm going to teach your sister a lesson. While we're gone shopping, this is what I want you to do..."

Robin nodded, and then smiled, "OK, you have fun shopping, and I'll get all that done."

She walked down to her daughters room, and found her dressed, just finishing up her make-up. Mrs. Daniels, shook her head, "Go wash that off, you don't need any make-up for todays trip."

Joey looked up in surprise, then made her way into the bathroom to take off the make-up she had finished putting on. The two of them then left on their shopping trip, Joey not knowing what was she was getting that day.

Robin watched from the window as they left, wondering exactly what his mom was up to. He waited about five minutes to make sure they weren't coming back for something they'd forgotten, then began with the task his mom had asked him to do.

Joey, stared at her mom as they pulled away from their home, "So, where are we going first?"

Her mom glanced at her, "I think it should be a surprise."

They pulled into Walmart and went straight to the boys department. A couple packages of white Hanes underwear, a Cleveland Indians t-shirt, some socks and a pair of jeans. Mrs. Daniels looked down at her daughter's strappy sandals, and asked, "How did Robin's shoes fit?"

"Uh, fine." Joey answered.

Mrs. Daniels nodded as they made their way to the shoe department. She grabbed a pair of sneakers, and headed back towards the front, before swerving and grabbing some undershirts and a couple of other t-shirts.

They paid and Mrs. Daniels dragged her daughter into the restroom. She handed Joey underwear, the jeans, a t-shirt, shoes and socks. "Go change into those."

Joey looked at her mom, before meekly going into a stall and changing. She came out and handed her mom the clothes she had been wearing. As her mom put everything into the bag, she noticed something was missing. "Where's your bra?"

Joey's jaw dropped. "Boys don't wear bras, so neither will you," her mom said to her. Joey went back into the stall, and came back out handing her mom her bra.

"Now that we are done here, we have a few more places to go."

Sitting in the car Mrs. Daniels, looked at her daughter, "Now you have a choice. We can go home and you'll be grounded all summer. That means no going out, no phone and, no Internet. Or we can continue on, and you will do everything I say with no arguments, and your only punishment will be to wear only what we get today."

Joey started to respond, but her mom cut her off. "Before you answer think carefully, because right now your brother is packing up all your clothes, jewelry, make-up, and our next stop is the barbershop where he gets his crew cuts."

Joey swallowed. There was silence as they sat, finally Joey spoke up, "What would we do about my hair when school starts back up this fall?"

"I hadn't thought about it, but I guess you'll just have to have short hair until it grows out again."

More silence followed, until finally Joey said, "OK, next stop the barbershop."

Mrs. Daniels was surprised, she hadn't really planned on grounding for the summer, but only the next month, even so she hadn't thought that Joey would choose a summer of dressing like a boy.

As they made their way to the barbershop, she asked Joey, "So, uh. Why do want wear boys clothes?"

Joey stared out the window, "I'm not really sure. Oh, I don't think I'm a boy stuck in a girls body or anything like that. It's just that I am not sure what I feel. I want to do something different, like when Robin switched from band t-shirts to button-down shirts and sweater vests. Only a bit more extreme."

"Well this is definitely more extreme. By the way, you do know that you, made your brothers life horrible for a while, and that was his favorite vest."

"Yes, I know. I even apologized and everything, but I didn't think that I would stretch out the top of the sweater like that, or that it would've lasted until he wore it Monday. You know I have a pair of his underwear and undershirt in my locker, for him if anything happens again."

"For him?"

"Yes for him, just because I like wearing boys clothes, it doesn't mean he likes wearing girls clothes. I can even understand that he dislikes it."

They pulled into the barbershop, and Mrs. Daniels said, "Last chance to change your mind, and the grounding would only be a month." Her daughter started to say something, but was interrupted, "No, I am not changing it to dissuade you, I only said all summer to try to scare you to stop wearing your brothers clothes."

"No, I want to try this, only can this be my only haircut all summer, as opposed to the two or three Robin will get?"

"Mrs. Daniels leaned over and gave her daughter a hug, "Sure, I'll concede to that."

Inside the barbershop they sat quietly waiting for their turn. When the barber finally said next, Josephine glanced around then got up and went over and sat in the chair. The barber looked a little perplexed, "What can I do for you young lady?"

"Can you give me a crew cut, like you give my brother Robin?"

The barber spluttered for a moment, then looked at Mrs. Daniels, who nodded. "Sure I can, but let's be careful how cut all this hair off, and we can donate it to Locks of Love. They make wigs for children that are bald. My sister has a salon that collects hair for them."

"That's a great idea. And that is just what I needed. A reason to tell my friends why my hair is so short."

The barber took his being careful to collect all the hair, and keeping it is as long as possible. They paid, and left with Joey rubbing her head. "So where to now?"

Mrs. Daniels smiled, and looked at her daughter, well you will need more than what we picked up at Walmart. So I figured we could go hit the mall, and you could pick out some things that you like."

After a few hours of shopping, Mrs. Daniels and Joey returned home. They carried in their purchases, and Joey started pulling off tags preparing them for the wash.

Robin came down the stairs and stumbled over the last step as he saw Joey's new haircut for the first time. "Holy crap sis, what did you do?"

Joey looked over at Robin, "I got a haircut, what do you think?"

"Uh, it's a big difference. Do you like it?"

"I haven't decided yet, it feels a lot different, and my head feels so light." She grinned as she said that. "So what did you do to my room?"

"Ahhhh, just what mom told me too, sort of."

"What do you mean sort of?" Mrs. Daniels asked.

"Well, I wasn't really sure about some of the dresses so I hung them all in the guest room for you to put away with, and I swapped out her posters."

"You did what?" Joey shrieked, and she started to run up the stairs. Robin grinned at his mom and headed up to follow her.

Joey raced into room and looked at her walls, gone was Johnny Depp and Twilight. In their place was Kate Upton, and an old Boris Vallejo poster of her dads. She turned to her brother as he stopped at the door and glared at him. "If you've damaged either of those posters I'll kill you."

He smiled, "Don't worry, they are safely rolled up in a tube with the rest of your stuff."

When he mentioned the rest of her stuff, she spun around and saw that her make-up table was empty and her jewelry boxes missing. She pulled open all her drawers, but they were empty too. "Did you have fun with my underwear, while you were emptying out my dresser?"

Robin got a disgusted look on his face, "Ewwwwwwww, you're my sister."

Joey smiled, "Just teasing bro."

Robin sat on the edge of the bed, "So how long are you going to dress like that?"

Joey sat in her make-up chair, "I think mom wants me to dress like this all summer, but I don't know..." She just kind of drifted off.

"Why?" Robin asked.

"Why what? The clothes?" At Robin's nod she continued. "I'm really not sure. I mean I don't want to be a boy or anything, I guess I am tired of being girly all the time. I want some of that being one of the guys again, like when we built Lego stuff for my Barbies, or when we would go dirt bike riding." She sighed before continuing, "I think I am going to see if Dad will let me join you two fishing this year."

"Please do, then maybe you and Dad can go drown worms in the boat, while I relax and enjoy the trees," Robin said with a bit of an annoyed look.

Joey's eyes got wide, "I thought you loved those trips."

Robin laughed, "I do, and I don't. Going out into the woods and relaxing is great, but I don't like fishing. I think I've caught three fish in the past five years, and gotten sunburned more often. But Dad loves it; so I go, and don't complain much. Oh I hope you bought a hat, or you are going to sunburn the heck out of your scalp."

Joey stood up and grabbed Robin's hand pulling him into a hug, "I'm really sorry about wearing your clothes."

He hugged her back, "It's OK, just ask me next time so I can get rid of any incriminating bumps before I wear it."

Joey headed out of the room, "Lets go see if Mom wants to go out to the woods, then we can work on Dad."

The End.

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

...

Extravagance's picture

Tomboys totally rock! :D Not as much as MegaTomboys do, but they're still pretty cool. ^_^
Mother went too far though. Especially with insisting that the girl strip in front of her brother.

Catfolk Pride.PNG

That's OK, he was way too

That's OK, he was way too embarrassed about it to see anything. He was busy studying the light switch.

Mooooom! Joey is at it again.

A delightful story of growing up and finding who you are.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Loved it. Two young people finding THEIR way in life

They are at an age where kids experiment and try to find their way.

I suspect she will be HER own kind of woman and HE his own kind of man. At least they have parents willing to help.

Why can't a girl be both a tomboy -- MEGA or not -- and girly when SHE wants. Or guy sometimes NOT do the manly thing when he wants to or not?

Sweet.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I agree, John

Yes, I agree with everything you just said. And it was nice reading this common story theme with a gender flip. And while I can see the view that their mother went too far making her strip with her brother there, I can see a parent doing that, to make them associate the humiliation of that with going into her brother's closet and drawers in future. That, combined with her having her own boys' clothes now for when she feels a need to escape from girliness, should keep her brother from his own very PUBLIC humiliation (which was far worse). Other than that one debatable action, I thought her mother, and brother, were both very good about handling it.

(Although a cynical person could point out that a girl dressing and acting like a boy is far more acceptable than the reverse.)

((Not me, of course. I'm not cynical. Nooooo.))

Lisa

Ahhh, you had me going at the

Ahhh, you had me going at the beginning there. Great little story, interesting switch from the norm.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Behind the sofa

Hi Ms Valentine, good story but had to read it from behind the sofa it was so scarey, I don't do horror very well n have to confess it had me screamin wot with the crew cut n all k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

OMG! Valentine...

You scared K-jo, but it's ok. We know you didn't mean to. This story was definately different. There's nothing wrong with being curious and exploring one's options to see where you fit in so to speak. I think that being Joey's hair was long enough to be donated to locks of love makes it a worth while endevor being its going to make another child happy. The whole undressing in front of her brother I'm not so sure was the "right thing to do", but thats the parents call. If there mother thought it was the proper thing to do at that time, who are we to say otherwise. Its a nice story though and would be interesting to see how Joey's summer turns out. (Hugs) Taarpa

Good One Valentine

Teek's picture

I decided to read one of your old stories. I am not sure I have ever read this one before. Good twist on things.

Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek