The Fundraiser/Or How I Was Volunteered For The Womanless Beauty Pageant

Printer-friendly version
Pre-pageant2_0.jpg
The Fundraiser Part 1 of 3
Or How I Was Volunteered To Be In a Womanless Beauty Pageant
By Nina Adams

My life as I knew it gets turned upside down for a fundraiser at my High School. What started as just an embarrassing request leads to so much more.


 
 
I couldn't believe that Kayla had nominated me for the spring fundraiser. She was my best friend what she had not told me was that she wanted me to volunteer for the big Glenfield Academy Spring extravaganza. Each spring the private school situated in the heart of the wealthy north shore of Chicago, put on a benefit. Half the proceeds from the event went to the school foundation, which it used for various programs and the other half of the net proceeds was always used to stage the spring prom.

The extravaganza is a very big deal for the school and widely supported by all of the students and their families. Each year the theme would change and it seemed to get bigger and bigger. There would always be some sort of show followed by a silent auction of some pricey donated items. The Senior Student Council with the oversight of a small faculty advisory committee would select the theme for the show. In recent years the show had included, short plays, American Idol style competitions, spelling bees, fashion shows, and last year a talent competition.

It was usually a big honor to be part of the entertainment, but it was also strictly on a volunteer basis. This year in an effort to do something completely different the student Council had somehow come up with the idea to do a womanless beauty pageant. They had heard of other schools having put on similar shows and this was one of the few ideas that the school had never done before.

When the idea was first presented to the faculty advisors, they were not keen on the idea. The school staff researched other pageants and found that many of these pageants were tasteless, often sexually offensive and made fun of women. These were not concepts that they wanted to support or teach the student body.

The Student Council was persistent and got the advisors to agree if they followed some strict guidelines. The most important aspect of the rules was that the pageant had to be staged respectfully and in an entirely classy format with a program along the lines of a traditional beauty pageant. There would be no bawdy outfits, or no contestants sexually mocking women with outlandish get ups. The contestants would have to dress and look tastefully at all times and would be evaluated not just for their stage beauty, but would be interviewed during the week prior to the show. The faculty committee would expect to see that they learn something about gender roles and had gained some empathy for what actual pageant participants might feel.

Each official entrant would be part of a team. The team would include a female student and a parent sponsor. It was believed that by including an adult and a female classmate that there would be the highest probability that the show would be dignified. All student entrants had to be nominated by another student and they had to turn in their acceptance by the 2nd week of January. Upon the nominees acceptance, the team application had to be submitted and approved by the Student Council. All of this took place long before the mid-April event so proper preparation by the teams and staging plans could be arranged for.

Any student entrant that did not follow the rules would be immediately suspended from the competition. Additionally, any student whether participants or not that insulted the volunteers or created any embarrassment for the school would be banned from the fundraiser and potentially suspended from school.

The Student Council agreed to the terms, but expressed that some of the campiness was what made the show so much fun. The faculty advisors said it would still be entertaining if it was done professionally and with the appropriate fanfare and staging.

I was so stunned when Kayla told my mother and me in the car coming home from school that she had nominated me for the fundraiser. She was my best and oldest friend and she wanted to set me up for total humiliation and embarrassment.

I looked over at her and barked “NO FUCKING WAY!”

My mother nearly jumped out of her seat. Not over the nomination, but because of my foul language. “Lucas we do not talk like that in our family. If I hear one more piece of ugly language like that from you, then you will be grounded for the weekend.”

“But mom, did you hear what she did. That's crazy!”

“I heard clearly what she said and that does not excuse your language. Kayla, I hope he does not talk like that to you when I'm not around.”

“No Mrs. Everdeen, Lucas is normally so sweet.”

“Good then, so tell me more about this nomination.”

“There will be 12 to 15 students in the pageant depending on nominations and team sponsorships, with prizes and honors for the winner and their student teammates. It's probably going to be very competitive and very extravagant. I've already heard that some teams have been formed and are taking it very seriously. Mrs. Gunther has already agreed to back her son Steve for the show. You know how she is when she puts her mind to something.”

I knew Mrs. Gunther as one of the town's biggest socialites. She came from old money and always loved to put her name and stamp on all community shindigs. Her son Steve was the youngest of 3 boys and sort of an under-achiever. He was a quiet kid with long straight hair and a lean frame. I never thought of him being effeminate or anything, but under the circumstances I could see him probably passing as a girl.

My mom never really liked Mrs. Gunther or some of the other rich town women that always managed to find a way to flaunt their money. Sure some of them got involved in charities, but in the case of Mrs. Gunther and a few others, it was strictly because they had the money to take center stage. Everything Mrs. Gunther did was showy and attention getting. Even her mansion was ridiculously big and on one of the most beautiful pieces of property on the lakefront.

The funny thing was that my mother was probably as wealthy or even more so than the Gunthers. My grandfather was an inventor and among his patented products was the pop top on the aluminum cans used by Coke and others. We were very wealthy, but few people suspected it. My mom was very charitable, but usually on an anonymous basis and our home was nice, but very modest by Glenfield standards. My mother even owned a florist shop in the center of town that she managed. She certainly did not need to work, but with my dad having passed away nearly 10 years ago it gave her focus. I worked at the shop on occasion and some of my classmates, even Kayla, would sometimes call me the flower boy.

“Well Lucas we should at least give it some thought. It would be kind of nice if the Mrs. Gunther's of the world didn't always get all of the limelight. Don't just dismiss the idea without thinking about it.”

“I thought about it and I don't want to do it. You may not like some of the other mothers, but I don't want to be a big joke. I'll be the one making a fool of myself.”

“I understand your initial reluctance, but just keep an open mind. I'm not sure about it either, but let's at least table it for now and think about it later. Nobody is going to force you to do this. Okay?”

“I'm not going to change my mind, but whatever you say mom.”

“Okay then, we will talk about it over the weekend. Kayla please give me a call later. I want to know everything about the fundraiser.”

“Sure Mrs. Everdeen.”

CHAPTER 2

Over the next 3 days I could not get the pageant out of my mind. I couldn't figure out why Kayla wanted me to do it, because we were very close friends and I am sure she was not out to ruin my life. We were as close as a boy and girl could be without actually being a couple. I often wished we were more than just friends, but for now I had to settle for just best buds. What also made our platonic relationship so tough was that Kayla was such a pretty girl with her long dark hair and perfectly conditioned athletic body. She also always looked so stylish but never dressed over the top. We grew up together from a very young age so despite her being a bit out of my league as girlfriend material, we always remained best pals.

Kayla was nearly as tall as my 5'7" frame and I probably did not outweigh her by that much. I had inherited my mother somewhat delicate features and her blonde hair. My hair color was a washed out blond shade that could almost be considered a light brown, but I was definitely a blond. Maybe it was from being around Kayla all the time, but I had allowed it to grow so that it was now shoulder length. I even had to brush it back and wear a headband when I participate in sports. It always seemed to fall into my face. It was obvious to even me that I needed to get it cut soon.

pre-pageant 3.jpg

I was only a sophomore at the school, but I liked school and was a pretty good student. Kayla was also a sophomore, but she looked a little older. She had a brother that was a senior at the school. As a result, she always knew the ins and outs of everything happening and was privy to a lot of the interesting gossip.

I was a couple of months shy of turning 16 and looking forward to getting my drivers license. I thought it would be kind of cool to get a motorcycle or maybe a car when I got my license and had already begun pestering my mother about the idea. I was pushing for the motorcycle since so many North Shore teens had cars, but not many had motorbikes. Kayla thought my idea was cool too and was pushing her parents to get her a Vespa. I liked Vespas, but I thought a motorcycle would be more manly.

On Friday my mother mention the fundraiser at breakfast and I immediately slumped my shoulders.

“Can we talk about it later? I am not in the mood at the moment to talk about it.”

“Well Lucas Edward, I have been thinking about this and we should have a civil discussion about it. Don't be so negative. I only want to talk it through.”

“Not now mom. How about later or over the weekend?”

“That's okay, but it's not getting pushed back beyond this weekend.”

“Fine! I'm with you on that. Let's put it to bed over the weekend.”

With that I went up to my room and got ready for school.

In second period Kayla sat down next to me and the first words out of her mouth were, “Are you in?”

“What?”

“You know what I'm asking.”

“Not you too? My mom started in on me this morning.”

“And?”

“And what?”

“What did you decide?”

“I just told her later.”

I could clearly see that my last remark was very disappointing to Kayla. She made a scrunchy face before responding. “It'll be fun and we can spend more time together. Your mom said she would do everything to make it easy and worth your while.”

“What do you mean worth my while?”

“I'm not sure, but she wants you to have fun and feel good about it.”

“I can't imagine how, but I agreed that over the weekend we would discuss it. I just think it's crazy.”

“If you are still undecided after talking with her, call me or come over and maybe I can convince you. Maybe some of my girlish charm can persuade you.”

That comment got me distracted and thinking in a different direction. “I'd like to see you try.”

“How about Saturday? You could come over for dinner and we could finish up our schoolwork together and then I can work some on my girl magic on you.”

“I'm in! I can't wait to experience some of your feminine skills and …..” My comment got cut off as the bell rang and we had to turn our attention to the class.

I was excited to see what she had in store and more so to know if she had any special ideas about us. I guess I would have to play along.

Mom came home from the flower shop around 6 with some pasta and salad from one of my favorite restaurants called Hole In The Wall. On Friday nights we didn't always eat together because of social activities and plans, but with Hole In The Wall on the table we sat down to enjoy some good food together.

After a couple of rhetorical questions about school she wasted no time turning to the fundraiser. Without trying to show too much initial enthusiasm, she talked about how important these things were for the school and how this was an opportunity for some new faces to wipe away some of the smugness from the old blood that looked down on everyone else. She mentioned how the past contest winners got to be honored at school and featured in the yearbook. I really did not want her to know that scared me even more.

When she was done talking about all of the virtues of the event and its importance to the school she turned the conversation on me.

“Lucas you have so much acting talent and natural good looks. You've told me time and again you that just needed an opportunity to show the drama department your skills.”

“Not like that mom.”

“Honey, so many of the great actors and actresses have achieved acclaim by taking roles like this and captivating the audience. If you do it well and put yourself into it, you will impress the right people.”

“Maybe, but I will also be the butt of tons of jokes.”

“I'm not saying it will all be easy, but to truly impress you will have to be focused and not worry about some jokes from kids you don't care about.”

“I can tell you really want me to do this and I'm not sure why.”

“I'd be lying if I said I didn't care either way.”

“So why?”

“For two basic reasons. First, as I said before, I'm sick and tired of a small circle of families at the school looking down on the rest of the families as if they were extras in their game. I think it would be fun to knock them down a peg or two when they don't expect it.”

“I get that, what's the other reason?”

“Well Lucas, the others is a little more personal. I'm not sure how to put it without upsetting you, but for me, I think the competition might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“The opportunity to humiliate me?”

“No! No! You are my only child and you know how much I love you, but I have also wondered what it would be like if I had had been blessed to also have a daughter to spend some time with. If your father and I had been fortunate to have more time together, we were hoping to have a boy and a girl.”

“Do you not like having a son?”

“I love you and always will, but a few weeks of teaching and showing you something about how the other half lives, sounds like a rare opportunity to me.”

“I just don't know mom. I would do anything for you, but the price just looks so scary to me.”

“I don't want to force you to do anything you are not comfortable with. If you are going to do it, then it cannot be just for me. You have to be resolved to putting in your best effort.”

“It just seems like such a big commitment with a potentially deadly carrot at the far end of the stick. It's not something to look down the road and feel good about.”

“I don't want this to be the only reason, but how about I give you something else to look forward to.”

“What's that?”

“Well if you give it your best effort, I will get you a motorbike for the summer and some sort of car in the fall. The bike is just for fun, but you'll be needing a car pretty soon, as its getting more difficult for me to get you to all of your activities.”

“Really? You will get me both if I do this?”

“Honey, I was going to get you a car at some point anyway, so the motorbike is really the only extra carrot.”

“Wow!”

“If the only reason you might do this is for the bike, then I don't want you to do it. I want you to think about all of the other things we talked about and consider those. Think about all of the good reasons for doing this and not just some bribe.”

“What kind of bike can I get?”

“I don't know. I guess we'll play that by ear, but not too big and something safe and appropriate. You are going to have to work at least part-time over the summer to pay for the upkeep and gas.”

“That's fair.”

“I want you to think this through. Come Sunday I want an answer, but not right now, while you are fantasizing about a new bike. Think it completely through. If you agree to move forward I want you to be committed, because both Kayla and I will be planning this through and we will expect total cooperation.”

“It can't be that much planning?”

“You have no idea! If you are in, we plan to win and you will need to be a perfect thespian.”

“Okay then, I will decide over the weekend. Tomorrow Kayla said she was going to put in her two cents on the subject too. I think she wants this as much as you mom.”

“Kayla and I chatted and she also likes the challenge. She has already gotten the scoop on 3 other serious teams. She thinks we have a good shot.”

“So you two are conspiring? ”

“No we just talked, but if we enter, then yes, we will be on the same page.”

“That's enough for now. My head is spinning… What's for dessert?”

CHAPTER 3

Friday night my dreams alternated between riding a Harley Davidson and being paraded around in a dress. It was a very restless night of sleep, but I was wide awake early Saturday morning. After a pretty boring day, mom dropped me at the Miller's just before 6 o'clock and said she would be back to pick me up at 11 following dinner and socializing with some of her friends.

In a typical week I probably met up with Kayla 2 or 3 times to study, but tonight I was extra excited to see her. In our last conversation she made it clear she would go all out to convince me to enter the show. I dressed a little nicer than usual and brushed my hair over and over until it looked its absolute best.

When I walked through the door, I quickly discovered that Kayla’s excitement level matched my own. Kayla gave me a big hug as soon as she saw me. She almost never did that, so I know the evening was off to a good start. She whispered in my ear, “After dinner and homework, I can’t wait to get my hands on you.”

I almost wet my pants when she said that. I was even more aroused when her hair brushed across my neck and face. I could've easily skipped dinner and headed up to her room, but I was ushered to the table to join Kayla and her brother Jack and her mother.

The meal was very good and Mrs. Miller was as always so nice to me. She complimented me on how nice my hair was looking and how great it should look by spring.

As we were finishing up the last of the roasted chicken, she asked me if I knew any of the students that had committed to the fundraiser so far. I politely told her, “I had not given it much of my attention and that I didn't think there was any official list as yet.”

Jack jumped in, “That may be, but Kayla has been talking nonstop about the potential competition.”

“You know Mrs. Miller, your mischievous daughter nominated me without asking.”

“Yes she told me, and I think it will be a great experience for both of you.”

“That may be, but I have not decided for sure if I'm going to do it. Did Kayla tell you otherwise?”

“She only said your mom and her were going to be your sponsor and teammate. I just assumed you planned to enter.”

Jack added, “She thinks you can win.”

“Kayla! It's not a done deal. I still need to think about it. Mrs. Miller, Kayla promised to do her best to convince me tonight. So maybe you should ask her again about it later.”

“Sorry Lucas. I didn't mean to push you or anything.”

“Oh it's okay. I know I have to decide soon.”

“Mom can we be excused to go upstairs?”

“Yes dear, just put your dishes in the sink.”

With that we scampered upstairs to Kayla's room. As soon as we were out of the kitchen she grabbed my hand and practically pulled me up the stairs.

“Lucas we are going to have so much fun, so let's work hard to get our homework out of the way.”

“Sounds good to me. I don't have that much.”

“We can get started with the fun stuff, as soon as we are finished.”

I was thrilled about getting to see Kayla use her feminine guile to convince me to enter, but she was talking about it in a vague way. I didn't understand why she had to wait to turn on her feminine charm… Why not while we did homework? I decided not to push things too hard.

We spent a quiet hour doing our work. There was a minimum of conversation during that time. I would look at her every so often and smile and she usually smiled back. I was first to finish up and proudly announced “ALL DONE.”

“I still have some math, but I can finish it up later or tomorrow. Are you ready Lucas?”

“I am all yours, convince me.”

“Before I start on you I want you to take a shower. I want you clean as a whistle.”

“I can't shower here.”

“And why not? I’m not doing anything until you have showered.”

“I'm already clean.”

“I want you to smell fresh and I want your hair damp.”

“I don't get it, but okay.”

“There is a robe on the door. After you shower just put that on.”

With that I was getting both nervous and excited. I had very little experience with girls and she wanted me nearly naked. I was also concerned her mother downstairs might walk in on me with my clothes off. Kayla sensed my fear and locked her bedroom door. I made my way to her private bathroom.

It was such a girly bathroom with all sorts of cosmetics and makeup and it smelled like lavender. I stripped down and quickly got in the shower. I could hear Kayla yelling for me to condition my hair.

I took a long shower out of nervous fear and anxious anticipation. I was starting to get scared that I might not perform well enough. I didn't want to blow anything between us.

Kayla’s body wash smelled good but so flowery. When I was done I was very clean, but hardly smelled manly. When I emerge from the bathroom wrapped in her light blue cotton robe, Kayla practically mugged me. She grabbed my head and planted a big wet kiss on my lips.

“You are such a good sport. We are going to be a perfect matching pair. I am going to want to kiss you all of the time.”

I can live with that.”

“While your hair is still wet let's get started.”

“Started with what?”

“Your hair.”

“What about it?”

“I am going to give it a little bounce and brush it out. I want you to get an idea how nice it can look and show you your potential.”

“So that's why you wanted me to shower. I feel like an idiot.”

“This will be a blast.”

“I thought you wanted something else from me, if you know what I mean.”

After a moment of hesitation, Kayla moved back to my side on the edge of the bed planted another slower and more passionate kiss on my lips.

“Lucas I have always felt something special about you. The fact that you are here and hopefully entering the pageant only adds to my fascination with you. It's just something unique and special we can share.”

“It's just strange that you want me to do this.”

“Lucas, you know I am into boys but I think I am also into girls. I've never kissed a girl, but maybe with you I can get the best of both worlds. It may be selfish, but with you I can kind of get a boyfriend and girlfriend all-in-one. It's all for fun and I think it will make us closer if that's possible. I want you as a boyfriend, but the pageant is a bonus.”

“What's wrong with me being just the boyfriend and you the girlfriend?”

“We already have that, but I get extra excited thinking about sharing this little role-play game.”

“Both you and my mom seems set on this. I am having a hard time sharing your enthusiasm.”

“Give it a shot. If I am right I think it will grow on you. I mean after you get over your resistance were going to have the best time together.

“I know I am going to look like a fool and get laughed at by everybody.”

“Now I know you are wrong. If you play along no one will be laughing and the experience will be amazing.”

“I guess I can play along a little. What do you have in mind?”

“Tonight as I indicated earlier I want to work some of my feminine skills on you ensure you that you have a chance.”

“Okay, but I want this just between us for now. I don't want your brother spreading stories around school.”

“Don't worry he was leaving after dinner and he won't be back until very late.”

“So what now?”

“Just follow my lead.”

With that Kayla got out her brush and curling iron. She parted my hair down the middle and started giving it some body. When she was done she had given me soft curling tendrils, mixed in with waves that ever so slightly curled under. Not a hair was cut, but it was certainly a much more feminine looking style. She even spritzed me with hairspray, before saying that I can wash everything out with a little hot water later.

“Well I guess that wasn't too bad.”

“We are just getting started. Come sit in my bathroom while I brighten up your face.”

“I was afraid of that. Please don't put that much stuff on my face.”

“That stuff is cosmetics and makeup. You need to learn as we go along.”

Kayla spent nearly 30 minutes. working on my face. She even plucked a small amount of what she called stray eyebrow hairs. This time I didn't get to see myself until she was finished. When I finally got to see my face in the mirror I could feel my blood heat up a degree or two. My hair now adorned a face as pretty as any at school. There was very little sign of Lucas staring back at me. I could see myself being attracted to that girl and after my initial shock had passed. Kayla reached over and gave me another kiss. Some of my red lipstick stuck to her lips after our brief kiss.

Pre-pageant 4.jpg

“We are nearly there.”

“Where?”

“Shush.”

She handed me a set and girl’s briefs and told me to slip it on. It seemed silly at this point to fight it. After I had it snugly in place she told me to take off the robe.

No sooner than the robe hit the floor she was slipping one of her matching bras around my chest. For a brief second or two, I was grateful I had no breasts to fill in the cups. Almost as quickly as she had snapped the clasps in the back, she inserted foam falsies into the brassiere. I now had a pair of prominent breasts to go with my facial makeover.

I started to have a strange urge in my now panty clad groin. It was hard to hide the tent that had quickly emerged.

“Now we are both excited” chimed Kayla.

“I don't know what came over me, this is all just really confusing.”

“Nothing wrong with that. It just means you are enjoying it. Down the road we will need to take care of that. For now we just have to cover it up.”

“Kayla then handed me a cream colored silk dress that I remembered that she occasionally wore to church.

“Step into it this and I will zip it up the back.”

Like a trained animal I followed her command. I could feel the soft material delicately cascading down my increasingly stimulated body. She pulled the zipper into place and I felt encased in soft feathers. I had a hard time not showing how good it felt.

She finished off my ensemble with a conservative black two inch patent leather pair of pumps. Despite the modest heel I had a hard time initially keeping my balance. I am not sure whether it was the heels or just the cumulative effect of what I was wearing.

Kayla walked me over to the full-length mirror on her closet door. I was totally spellbound. “Kayla what did you do to me?”

“Really not that much. I just helped bring out a little of your potential.”

“I look like a girl.”

No a pretty girl!”

“This is too surreal. I don't know what to think.”

“Enjoy it, it's fun being pretty.”

“For a girl.”

“Well at this moment you look like one, so try and enjoy it.”

I stood there staring at myself for a long minute before Kayla came up from behind and put her arms around my midsection and her head on my right shoulder. Together we stared at my reflection.

“I love how you look. I should probably add some jewelry. You know my sweet Lucas, now I really do feel like I have a girlfriend and a boyfriend wrapped in one. Sometimes it will be more boyfriend, right now I am enjoying the girlfriend side.”

With that last statement she slowly spun my docile body around and gave me another passionate kiss. This one lasted by far the longest and was beyond any sexual feelings I had ever experienced. I was on total emotional overload and unsure of what to do next. After I caught my breath and sat down, I then folded my hands almost instinctively over my lap.

“Lucas you look so cute. Tomorrow I should take you with me to church in the morning.”

Kayla’s suggestion broke my transient mood. “No way! I am not leaving the house looking like this. This was just a little fun between us, so don't get carried away.”

“That's a shame, but I won't push you yet.”

“Don't push me period.”

“You have been enjoying the evening… haven't you?”

“Well I've enjoyed being here with you, but remember I'm still a boy.”

“I know, but you are a special boy.”

I gave her little smile and then tried to change the conversation.

“Maybe I should change back now. I guess you proved your point.”

“Lucas it is only about 9:30 and your mom isn't getting you until about 11. It'll only take 5 minutes to take off the makeup and a couple of minutes more to change your clothes. I'll make sure you get started by 10:30, okay?”

“What now then?”

“Nothing much, I want to spend some time with you. I'll put on the soundtrack from the Hunger Games.”

After the initial shock of my makeover faded I was able to relax with Kayla and just hang out. We flipped through some gossip and entertainment magazines with the music in the background. We laid on top of her green bed laughing and even giggling at some of the stupid photos in the magazines. Kayla always made a point for both of us to comment on the fashion sections in each magazine. It was getting close to 10:30 and the last 45 minutes seemed to fly right by. There had been no additional passionate kisses, but a few friendly pecks on each other’s cheeks.

The whole evening had been such a radical new set of feelings, but strangely I almost didn't want it to end. My peaceful mood was shattered when there was a knocking at the door. Mrs. Miller was telling us to come downstairs to join her and my mother who had been chatting in the family room enjoying some tea.

Kayla answered first, “Give us ten minutes mom and we will come down.”

“Come down now Kayla, Mrs. Everdeen wants to talk with both of you.”

“In a few minutes mom. We're in the middle of something.”

I think at that point Kayla's mom could hear us scurrying about and the increasing tension in Kayla's voice.

“I want you to open the door at once.”

“Please give us a moment.”

“NOW!”

I was going to lock myself in the bathroom, but I knew that would only delay the inevitable.

Kayla looked at me as I straightened my dress and she walked over and unlock the door. I could see Kayla's mother's eyes light up when she saw me.

“I see we have been playing dress-up.”

“Please Mrs. Miller, Kayla just wanted to prove to me that I would not look like a clown if I decided to participate in the fundraiser.”

“Calm down Lucas, you certainly do not look like a clown. If I didn't already know it was you, I would have just thought you were one of Kayla's girlfriends.”

“Nobody was supposed to see this. Please don't tell anyone. Please give me a minute so I can go change.”

“Never mind that. Your mom wanted to talk about the fundraiser with you and Kayla, so there's no point to change now.”

“Please Mrs. Miller!”

“You did your little dry run for the fundraiser, so it's only fair that your mother gets a look at you.”

“I can't face her like this.”

“You look absolutely darling. I'm sure she will feel the same. Please walk down with me and I will prep your mom before you step into the family room.”

Descending the stairs in Kayla's heels was a very difficult task. Even if I was not scared to death, I would have had to hold tightly onto the railing. Just before the entrance to their family room, Mrs. Miller told me to wait just outside the door and take a few breaths. Kayla and her mom walked ahead towards where my mother was seated.

I could hear the conversation pretty clearly. After some polite greetings between my mother and Kayla, Mrs. Miller interjected.

“Kayla and Lucas have had a busy evening and clearly have been discussing the merits of entering the beauty pageant. One of Lucas fears is that he would come off as some sort of clown. With much persuasion and some deft skills, Kayla has made her case to Lucas that he will do just fine.”

“I don't understand Claire, what did she say and where's my Lucas?”

“With no further delay I give you Ms. Lucas…. Come in now Lucas.”

I shuffled my way along the wood floors until I was standing about 8 feet in front of my mother. I expected to see her in shock, but instead I could only read a mild surprise. She scanned me up and down and her smile grew slowly wider. She was clearly fine with my little charade.

“Lucas, I guess you have decided to enter the fundraiser after all. You look very nice for a first effort.”

“Kayla just wanted to show me that I would not look like a joke. It still feels crazy doing this, but I guess I could look worse.”

“She did a nice job on your makeup and the dress is certainly very lovely. With some work and practice I think you will make a fine contestant.”

“What do you mean work and practice?”

“This is not a Halloween party. This is a competition and if you are going to enter you will need to be completely ready.”

“Mom, it's still just a fundraiser.”

“This is a big event with lots of students and families depending on its success. I don't want to waste my time if you do not plan to do everything possible and give 100% effort.”

“How much is there to do?”

“You need to learn your part like a method actor and we need to tweak your appearance so that you look more like a beauty pageant contestant. You also need to get proper outfits and get over your obvious nervous apprehension.”

Kayla could not hold in her enthusiasm any longer. “Lucas, I will be there at every step so that you enjoy the experience like we did tonight.”

“Kayla I know you'll be very important if this is going to be a success. You have a unique perspective being the same age as Lucas and you can certainly be a great role model.”

“You both have this figured out so I guess I can give it a try.”

“A try is not good enough. I am going to put in a lot of effort to guide you through this and once we are all committed there will be significant financial investments in getting you prepared.”

“It's so far off, can't we just go slow?”

“There's barely enough time if we want to do it right. If you agree, I do not want you to later change your mind. Some of the costs of competing are quite substantial.

“This whole thing just seems so mind boggling to me.”

“That's why you have so much work ahead. Hopefully by the benefit you will not feel that way.”

“Kayla will you have my back during this whole thing? I'm going to need help with my reputation at school.”

“Lucas you know I will. I'll do my absolute best so it goes smoothly.”

“Okay then mom. I'll do it.”

“Wonderful. So from now forward you need to follow my orders and not question Kayla and my instructions. Is that understood?”

“I hope I do not regret this, but yes, you can count on me.”

Lucas dear you may not realize it now, but this is going to be a great adventure and I'm sure you'll make me proud.”

“Thanks mom. I think now that we have this figured out I am going to go up and change.”

Mrs. Miller stopped me. “Lucas you don't need to change now. Kayla has not worn that dress since the fall, so think of your outfit as our little gift.”

“That's alright Mrs. Miller, but I can't go home like this anyway.”

“Lucas, please thank the Millers. That is such a nice gesture. Don't worry about going home. It's late and dark outside, besides you look just fine. No one would think you were anything other than the pretty girl sitting in front of me.”

“Come on Mom, I may not look like it right now, but I am still Lucas.”

“You make one good point. You don't really look like a Lucas. We're going to need a new name for you for the competition.”

“Really? Everyone will still know I'm Lucas.”

That may be, but you should have a more appropriate name for the show and while we are getting you ready. Do you have a girl name that you really like?”

“Yeah, Kayla.”

That got a few smiles from everyone and an air kiss from Kayla.

I think if you choose something from your initials that would be nice. Something with an L or E or both.”

Kayla blurted out, “Ellie.”

“That starts with an E, Kayla.”

“Sounds like L..E.. What do you think?”

“I don't really want a girl's name, but it's an okay name.”

“Kayla that is a nice idea. Lucas has a great aunt who passed away a couple of years ago named Eleanor. Ellie would be a nice way to honor her.”

“Mom, it's just for the show.”

“I know dear, but names are important. When I call you Ellie I wanted it to be an appropriate name.”

“Fine then, you can use Ellie for my competition name.”

“It's settled then. You're going to be the future pageant queen Ms. Ellie Everdeen.”

“Oh God!”

“Honey, watch your language and go put your old clothes in a bag so we can head home.”

Kayla walked me up to her room and as soon as we got into her room and out of sight she gave me another long wet and hard kiss. She was clearly the aggressor and I was her prized little toy.

“Ellie I am so happy. You are going to be the belle of the ball and I am going to help you become perfect.”

“Not too perfect I hope and its Lucas not Ellie.”

“Trust me. We are both going to love your time as Ellie.”

“Kayla my head is spinning. I think I need to go home and figure out what I got myself into.”

The ride home was uneventful, but still I hunched down in the car seat to avoid being seen. At home my mother sat me down and showed me how to properly remove my makeup. She was very instructive and wanted me to learn the right way so, if necessary, I could do it on my own. When we were done she had me moisturize my face. The whole evening experience took a lot out of me and I was asleep in a flash.

It was another uneven night of sleep. I had so many strange dreams and they all revolved around me dressing or acting like a girl. I remember only bits and pieces, of the dreams, but I remembered attending school as Ellie and even being a member of the cheerleading squad. The most vivid memory I had was from just before I woke up. In that dream my mother insisted that I attend Sunday's mass in the dress Kayla had given me. She wanted me to get good use out of the new clothes and didn't think there was anything odd about me attending church in a dress.

On Sunday morning we did go to mass, but fortunately my dreams quickly were forgotten as I resumed my life as Lucas. I still had some weird thoughts at church as I looked around and saw some girls my age dressed much like I had been the previous evening. I couldn't help but ponder myself as one of them. I was having thoughts that were undoubtedly out of place for a place of God.

up
361 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The thought of church...

Andrea Lena's picture

...plus the thought of Ellie in church is intriguing. Maybe a followup? Or just maybe I'll dream about going to church one day myself. I love your use of illustrations; the mix of innocence and wonder suits the story perfectly. Thank you.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The Fundraiser/Or How I Was Volunteered For The Womanless Beauty

Janet Stickney wrote a story along the same lines. Fashions http://www.storysite.org/story/fashions~01.html
A fashion show, a conceited group of boys, and the list. But they made the wrong person mad, and she decided that the boys would do the fashion show. With no where to turn, all eight of them become girls, yet, as time goes by, four of them know that they cannot give it up when the show is over. Stephie, Tina, Betty, and Janet have discovered something wonderful. That act of vengeful discipline changed them, and now, the future beckons.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Look out Tels....

There's a new Belle in town! (giggles) Ellie, says Kayla, "I am so happy. You are going to be the "Belle of the ball", and I'm going to help you become perfect". Nice start to this one Nina! Keep'em coming! (Hugs) Taarpa

yay!

Nina's back!!! I loo-ooove your stories!

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Too Easy

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I thought he would have been angry when he discovered that what he thought Kayla meant by convincing him was so different from what she meant. Then he just caves in in the living room; I also thought there would be a lot of "Nobody likes me the way I am; everyone wants me to be a girl" resentment.

Did the moms and kayla have a plan B if Lucas had just said "NO!" and left?

BE a lady!

I'd quite like to read a

I'd quite like to read a story in which that happens, and the story just ends...

I just re-read this and ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I stand by my earlier comment. I would add that I bet the whole evening was a set up, that Kayla and her mother and Lucas's mom had the "Come down NOW!" bit all planned. I still would like to read a version where He did get angry and disappointed and said "NO!" just to see what plan B was; I don't think the three women would have given up.

BE a lady!

I actually thought about that

ninatg1's picture

I actually thought about that at the time... but more reluctance would have drawn it out even further.

Fundraiser

Reading about Kala's bringing Lucas into the world of feminization brought back wonderful memories of my high school years. You are a talented author