It's The Little Things...

Printer-friendly version

It's the little things...
By Melanie E.

Some times, it's the littlest things that can give the game away completely.

-----

I woke up slowly, my eyes having a hard time focusing through the haze that seemed to be enveloping me.

Then I realized I was looking through a thick mane of hair.

"What the..."

My outburst was cut short as I sat up in bed and immediately noticed how different my body felt from what it had been when I had laid down. The mirror on my closet door simply confirmed the changes as I saw the gorgeous, auburn-haired beauty staring back at me where I should have seen plain old Timothy Dent.

I was all prepared for further exploration beneath the sheets to see how far the changes went, when a soft cough from my side caught my attention.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked in my gruffest voice as I stared at the woman standing next to my bed. Not that my gruffest voice was all that gruff any more, really, being more velvety than intimidating.

"A pleasure to meet you too, Miss Dent. Who I am isn't important. Why I'm here, is."

"What have you done to me?"

"We've merely changed you to better suit our needs. You see, I work for a secret government operation that needs you to... well, it's not really all that important right now, Officer Dent. It will all be explained when we get to operations."

"You think I'd follow you or help you with anything after you took my body without my consent?" I asked, fighting to untangle my legs from the sheets.

"Oh, come now, Miss Dent," she said with a rather attractive smirk on her lips, "it's quite obvious you're not as upset by this as you're letting on?"

I stood up indignantly. "And what makes you think that?"

"Because the smile hasn't left your face since you realized what has happened to you."

I spun around to look at myself in the mirror again, prepared to tell her to go to hell.

Except, she was right.

-----

NOTES: Just a little thing that occurred to me while I was sitting at my computer. So, here it is.

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute, minor typo but quick and cute

I think in the first line (after the intro) you meant "... the haze..." and not "... the have ..."

No biggie.

Short and to the point.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Typo? What typo?

I don't see any typos... *grins*

Thanks, John. Not bad for a total of maybe five minutes spent from opening Notepad to posting though, at least I didn't think so.

Melanie E.

That's what I hate about secret operations...

Andrea Lena's picture

...the government has made them SO secret that I can't volunteer!!!!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Beautiful vignette

Transformation's not my thing but this beautiful vignette is short, sweet, fun and to the point a lovely little treasure k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

yay!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

An adorable little short story with a cute twist at the end. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It's The Little Things...

Either a great start on a new story, or one heck of a great super short story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine