Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1860

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1860
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Goodness, a cyclist makes the main news and not for doping–no, Wiggo, the cleanest cyclist in the world, he could have been sponsored by Persil, has been knocked off his bike by some dope in a Vauxhall Astra van while pulling out of a filling station. He wasn’t badly injured, so we should all be thankful for small mercies.

I took the girls to school and the car radio informs me that Shane Sutton, Wiggo’s coach has also been knocked off his bike and is in hospital. Remind me not to cycle near Manchester. It began to look as if the magic which had allowed Team GB to conquer all odds in the Olympics had lost its power and the forces of chaos were pouring in. Yeah, okay, I know it’s pure fantasy, but for a moment I could see lycra clad heroes and heroines battling the cosmos to re-establish order and equilibrium.

Fantasy over, I realised I’d driven past the house and had to find somewhere to turn and go back. Then I remembered some shopping I needed and went into town, well, as far as Asda, where I filled up with diesel and then popped into the store. I quickly got the few things I needed and some more milk and was heading past the coffee shop when I thought I saw Phoebe.

I circled round and took another look–it was Phoebe–she should be in college, not drinking coffee in a supermarket. I snapped her on my Blackberry, because this was an issue that would need discussion. Then changing my mind opted to take the bull by the horns, or should that be cow by the horns?

I ran out to the car and dumped the shopping in the boot and dashed back to the coffee area and ran smack bang into her. “Phoebe,” I gasped, pretending I hadn’t seen her before.

The boy standing behind her looked even more astonished when she gasped, “Cathy.”

“I thought you were in college?” I said, watching her neck, then face fill with more colour than is normal.

“I’ve got a couple of free periods this morning and came to get a new top–don’t wanna spend too much on it, not just for college.”

“I see, and this is?” I nodded to the boy standing now beside her.

“Oh, yeah, this is Bodie. Bode, this is Cathy, who I’m staying with.”

“Hi,” he said looking anything but pleased.

“Well I need to look at their clothes. so perhaps I could drop you back afterwards?” I knew I was being a total pain. but I was fairly sure she should have been in college not wandering the streets.

“Uh, no that’s okay, Bode will take me back won’t you?” She nudged him.

“Oh, yeah, course.”

I gave her a smile that was anything but sincere and followed her as she went upstairs towards the clothing section. We split up and at one point I overheard her saying, “I told you we shouldn’t have come in here. How was I to know she’d turn up...” I smiled to myself, forbidden fruits should never taste good.

I wasn’t being a prude, I had no argument with her dating boys providing she was careful, but I didn’t think she should be doing it at the expense of her education. I know she was capable of far more than being a hairdresser, but that was what she’d said she wanted to do, and she seemed to enjoy the time she spent at the salon, which also gave her some pocket money.

I bought a couple of things for the girls and a tee shirt for Danny with a picture of a gun on it and 007 on the handle, I was pretty sure he’d like it. The girls got assorted knickers and tights, which I was hopeful they’d like too.

“School got further away?” asked Sarky Stella.

“No, I needed some stuff from Asda.”

“So I see,” she nodded at the bags all bearing the store’s logo.

“I just saw Phoebe in there.”

“Our Phoebe?”

“Yes, the one who’s staying with us, who’d you think I meant?”

“Knowing you, anyone,” she riposted and then asked, “Tea?”

“Is the pope a Catholic?” I said back.

“Allegedly, but who knows?” She re-boiled the kettle and then splashed some of the hot water on a teabag, added some milk and passed me the mug. “Isn’t she supposed to be in college, learning how to transform tresses?”

“No she’s doing hairdressing, not building,” I slipped in as I took my cup.

“Very funny, but wouldn’t that be trusses?” she retorted.

“You’re the nurse and would know more about it than I do.”

“Ha ha, yeah, trusses, we can always count on your support. Well, isn’t she?”

“That’s what I was led to believe. She said she had some free periods this morning.”

“Oh, well perhaps she did.” Stella shrugged and took a sip of her tea.

“I’m not convinced,” I said sipping from my own mug.

“Yeah, but it’s not like school is it? They’re young adults, and if they want to screw up their lives that’s their prerogative.”

“Not if I have anything to do with it.”

“Cathy, you can’t run the world. That’s wotsisname Obama’s job if they re-elect him.”

“Barack, and I don’t want to run the world. I can’t even cope with this house.”

“Yeah, I noticed it’s got a bit frayed round the edges.” She pretended to tease me, at least I hoped it was pretend, if not, there’s another cat-fight looming.

“Weren’t you supposed to take care of the edges?” I asked her and she choked on her tea–good one.

“Bitch,” she said in between bouts of coughing and looking very red in the face.

“So you don’t think I should do anything about Phoebe missing college?”

“I don’t see how there’s much you can do. If she’s carpeted for it, it’s her problem. You’re hardly in loco parentis, are you?”

“I don’t know what the legal position is. Neal is her nominal guardian, I’m just the landlady, I suppose.”

“Never just anything, Sis,” Stella beamed, “no, never just anything, not our Cathy.”

I wasn’t sure if she was complimenting me or taking the piss–one of Stella’s more endearing qualities. I decided however, to take it as a positive statement.

David arrived with a mound of food shopping. He’d managed to get a card for a wholesaler, and looked like he’d doubled their profits. He explained he’d used the title of my one and only film making company–Dormouse Films–so the card was in that name. I congratulated him on his inventiveness, but in all fairness, this place is bigger than some small guest houses, so his idea is very valid.

The rest of the day went as usual, with me pausing every so often to wonder if Phoebe was back in college or not. I did worry for her, she’d already passed on the chance to gain academic qualifications in favour of hairdressing and beauty therapy. Was she now messing that up?

I collected the girls and gave them their new knickers and tights. They were pleased, as was 007 Danny, who pulled on the tee shirt to try for size and didn’t take it off until he went to bed.

Phoebe came home with Julie, so I suppose I did have a chance to pass comments and get feedback via Julie, but I wasn’t sure if either would appreciate it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Parenting

I learn more about parenting from you than I did from my own experiences while raising three of my own. Now, I am flush with knowlege but it will be completely unused. Nice epi.

Gwendolyn

Phoebe, Phoebe, Pheobe

kristina l s's picture

... where's Doyle by the way? Not sure I'm impressed with Bodie or Phoebe for that matter. Tsk, sigh.

Oh and definitely taking the piss, but with a hint of respect there somewhere.

Kristina

What's up with Phoebe?

Looks as though Phoebe will be the Diva of The Cameron Opera for awhile.

Good episode

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Cathy is concerned about

Cathy is concerned about Phoebe's future. True, Cathy may be letting her stay at Casa Dormouse, but the girl has to pay up for any mistakes, and playing hooky can get her dropped from the rolls.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bad influences.

Bodie appears to be a bad influence but never judge a wine by it's bottle. It'll take tact and patience to somehow winkle the truth out of Phoebe.

Softly, softly catchee monkeee Cathy.

More tension, more worries, Cathy's a glutton for punishment she's gonna have to stop absorbing kids into this amorphous mass thats gathered around her and called 'a family?'

Cathy ain't superwoman!

Good-un Ang,
Still lovin it.

Bev.

XX

bev_1.jpg

Had a comment

all ready to post then the site went down :( And i can't remember what i was going to say ...

Oh well !! Such is life...

Kirri

The one thing i do remember i wrote was that the dope who knocked Wiggo off his bike is being charged with driving without due care and attention .... Maybe she should also be charged with damage to a national treasure...