Pixie's Honor : Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
Pixie's Honor

by:
Elsbeth


Matthew learns even the littlest of fairies value honor above all

greenpixie.png

Chapter 7

Just on the other side of the Fae Realm, next to the tree known as ‘Father Oak’, Poppy sat with her back on the trunk, watching Lord Alexander and his betrothed spar. Back and forth, the two Aes Sidhe flew, riposted and parried as Alex pushed Morgan back. Suddenly, the Princess parried the incoming attack, deflecting his blade with a strong striking motion then lunged, seemly catching the young lord off guard.

“You’re a hundred years too early if you think you could surprise me.” Alex said obviously pleased, Morgan’s counter attack had surprised him.

“Morgan Hime is improving.” The fox woman, known as Kuugen, once called Aya sat a few feet away from Poppy. A few minutes earlier, the pair had been trading blows.

“I agree.” Replied Sapphira, Gatekeeper of the Forest, her mouth full of double mushroom pizza. Currently the centuries old hamadryad was dressed in a young schoolgirl’s outfit, sitting on the kitsune’s lap.

After a strong feint, Morgan slipped underneath the young lord’s defenses tagging him underneath his sword arm.

“Very good your Highness, may I make a suggestion that you start your attack earlier, and keep your blade lower.”

“You let me hit you.”

Alex smiled. “Of course, I just want you to feel you’re doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.”

“Gods, you’re such a pain, so what’s the counter?” The Aos Sidhe Princess shook her head; Alex had spent the entire morning quoting Princess Bride. She loved the movie herself but was starting to regret watching it with him and Abby last night.

“Let me show it to you.”

Morgan rolled her eyes at the other three women; he so enjoyed the hands on approach. Poppy smiled at the two, remembering when she first met Matt’s wife. Although her experiences were different, the young Pixie could tell that there was a mutual attraction between the two of them although for now, it was decidedly one sided.

Pushing away from her cousin, she began to walk away. “Alright you big letch, why don’t you play with Poppy for a few minutes, I need to speak to Kuugen.”

Grabbing a slice of pizza, Morgan sat down next to the Kitsune. “So, what do you think?”

The Yoaki sighed, “Is it necessary that I dress as a school girl?”

“What’s wrong with dressing as a school girl? I think the uniform is cute.” Sapphira stood up and twirled around. "And don’t tell me it’s your age Kuugen, I am centuries older than you.” The hamadryad smiled sweetly.

“If this is what you wish, Morgan Hime.”

The Aes Sidhe Princess shook her head. “No that’s not what I asked. I wanted to know if you’re interested.”

The Yoaki looked thoughtful; it had been a very long time since anyone had asked her opinion.

“The only person I actually don’t mind bossing around is Alex and that’s because he’s my cousin.”

“Lover.” The young Aes Sidhe called out.

“In your dreams, Lord Hastings.” Morgan shouted back

“She needs someone to watch over her, and what could be better than you becoming her roommate.” Sapphira, now back in her adult form, wearing black jeans and a dark blue Skogshaven High sweat shirt, took a seat.

As a nine tailed Kitsune, changing one’s physical appearance, like Sapphira wasn't an issue. “Why not bring her here?”

Morgan nodded. “We thought about it, however...”

“It’s safer for her not to be in Skogshaven right now.” Sapphira frowned. “And I believe, perhaps it’s time that you get out of the Saito’s house.”

The four women had been slowly getting Kuugen to come around. Since Morgan shattered the bonds that enslaved her to the Umeki family, the fox woman had become somewhat of a recluse. Earlier in the week Sapphira and Hotaru Saito had made the final plans for this very meeting, just before the family headed off to Ravencrest.

“I’m sure that Hotaru loves the extra help with the girls, but you must be tired of daytime television already?” The Aes Sidhe Princess smiled.

Kuugen looked down blushing; in truth she had in fact become enamored with a number of shows. Perhaps she needed to give the Saito’s back their spare bedroom.

“Don’t let him get too handy, Poppy.” Morgan shouted as the two danced back and forth.

To those watching, Alex’s skill greatly surpassed the Pixie’s; however, for a few seconds that changed. As the Aes Sidhe lord came at Poppy with a simple forward thrust, she counterattacked like an avalanche in a complex series of combinations. The young man jumped blocking the attacks but just barely.

As the two broke away, Alex looked at the Pixie in wonder. “What the hell was that?”

Poppy shook her head. “I don’t know. For a moment, I knew exactly what you were planning and how to defeat it.”

“Inconceivable, Poppy let me see your sword.” The hamadryad crossed the field.

The young Pixie nodded, holding the sword out pommel first.

“No, ask it if it’s OK.” Sapphira smiled.

“Ask it?” Suddenly Poppy looked surprised. “She doesn't mind if you touch her.”

“Her? Did she speak to you Poppy?” Kuugen asked, as she and Morgan joined the group.

“No, it’s just a feeling.”

“Poppy, see if it’s OK for the Princess to touch her.”

The Pixie smiled. “She doesn't mind.”

Morgan took the blade in hand. After feeling its weight and balance, she returned it. “The feeling, she reminds me a little of Blackie.”

“Blackie?”

“Abby’s new familiar.” Morgan smiled.

Thank goodness, Abby finally got her familiar, a big black Tom, Morgan thought. She had been difficult to live with when she discovered her cousin received one first.

“Can I see the blade, Poppy?” Alex asked.

The Pixie shook her head sadly. “No, I’m sorry Lord Alexander, she doesn't like you.”

“What?”

Morgan laughed. “She has good taste.”

“Just kidding, Alex.” Poppy grinned, leaving everyone but the Aes Sidhe lord in giggles.

After acting sufficiently insulted, he took the blade in hand. Standing back, the master swordsman swung it a few times and returned it to its owner.

“I agree with Sapphira, inconceivable.”

In a very bad Spanish accent Poppy said. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

“You know I am going to have to hurt all of you.” Princess Morgan groaned.

**********

Snuggling up to Laurel, Poppy couldn't sleep as she continued to be haunted by strange dreams. In the latest, she found herself running through a rice paddy in Vietnam, with mortars falling all around. However, she looked like Poppy and not Matt. In another dream, she found herself prepping for surgery but instead of normal nurses and doctor’s they were all Pixies.

Her new life seemed to be slowly intruding on her old one however, Matt’s memories were still as real to her as the ones she made now. Once again she became concerned; if her body failed in the hospital would she suddenly become just Poppy with none of Matt's memories?

No matter how much the young Pixie wanted to ignore it, she needed to go to the hospital to check on Matt. As much fun as she was having, keeping her body on life support indefinitely didn’t seem right either. Although all of his family was long gone, Matt did have friends that must be concerned.

As much as she hated to admit it, the young Pixie had kept putting it off; frightened at the prospect at meeting her other self, frightened to see his condition but Poppy could not longer put it off. In the morning, she would speak to the Princess.

“Wake up child, I need you.”

Opening her eyes, she found Xera staring at her. For some reason, a little black crow was perched on the Keeper’s shoulder. Rising from the mass of girls that lay on Rynders living room couch, the young Pixie disturbed her friends, who also insisted in joining the group.

“Fine, I don’t have time to argue.”

With the help of the other Pixies, the Keeper of Names shifted the entire group into the Fae, apparently some distance away from Skogshaven. The Keeper had explained the summoning, the odd bird of her shoulder. Other than the group was going to meet with someone, Xera gave very little details.

Now deep in some unknown forest, suddenly on guard the Pixies spread out. It was hard not to notice that Xera brought along of some of the most powerful spell casters in the clan, including her apprentice. To Poppy there seemed to be a lot of firepower for a simple meeting.

“Xera, they are here.” Lily motioned the others to pull slightly back.

Poppy drew Samphire, giving the sword that name made a certain sense and seemed to make it happy as well. Moving forward, along with her two friends, the young pixie kept close to the Keeper of Names.

The new group that suddenly approached the Pixies surprised everyone but Xera.

“Spriggan Wives?” Laurel asked.

Xera nodded, turning to the group she commanded. “Stay here, I’ll speak to Ili alone.”

Lily walked up to the three Pixies, her face full of concern. “Do you know what is going on?”

“No, I thought that you might.” Poppy watched as the Keeper of Names and her apparent Spriggan counterpart speak. The black crow that had been on Xera’s shoulder had immediately flown off landing on Ili’s shoulder.

The white haired Pixie shook her head. “No, I was asleep with Bree when Xera came into my dreams and woke me.”

Poppy frowned. “I wonder why she didn’t with me.”

Lily smiled. “It’s because of your sword.”

“Really?” Poppy and her two friends looked down at the blade.

"Lets go, I need to speak to Princess Morgan as soon as possible." Xera suddenly appeared in front of them, so busying talking about Poppy's sword.

As the Pixies flew away from their strange encounter, Poppy could still feel the sword's presence; Concentrating now, the two become one, like she did when she fought Lord Alexander. Scared at first, afraid she would lose herself; Poppy discovered that they were still separate but the bond became even stronger than before.

**********

The next morning, Doctor Poppy Sully found herself standing outside Eastside Medical Center. She had believed that bringing up the desire to visit the hospital with Morgan, she could put off meeting with Matt a little longer. However, plan were already in place, the Princess knowing that it was just a matter of time before Poppy wanted to visit her old self.

Finally gathering up her courage, Poppy slipped through the hospital's front doors.

Crossing the threshold, part of her felt like a stranger, another part felt like she was coming home. Poppy had been walking in and out of hospitals most of her adult life, but until today it had always been as Matt. Admiring the lobby, well lit and nicely decorated, with welcoming aura, Poppy approved. For those who entered the hospital, the sick or concerned for a friend or family member desperately needed a pleasant atmosphere.

Poppy once more silently thanked Morgan’s mother for her advice on what to wear for her meeting. In her mortal form, dressed conservatively in a expensive looking navy blue jacket, skirt, and a small matching purse, Poppy approached the hospital front desk.

“Good afternoon, how may I help you?” A young woman, wearing blue and white flower printed scrubs greeted Poppy warmly.

“Hi, I am Doctor Poppy Sully. I have a meeting with Doctor Shango St. Hill.”

The receptionist looked her over for a moment, before reaching for a phone. Hanging up the phone, she looked up at Poppy with a smile. “Doctor St. Hill is still in surgery; however his assistant Doctor Abasi will be with you in a moment.”

Waiting only a few minutes, a tall African-American man approached. Smiling, he took Poppy’s hand. “You must be Doctor Sully; I am Doctor St. Hills assistant Doctor Abasi.”

Thanking the receptionist as she passed, the doctor began to explain that one of the other surgeons became ill so Doctor St. Hill was filling in for him.

“However, if you need anything, just ask. I expect Doctor St. Hill to be out of surgery in the next hour.” The doctor waved his identification badge in front of a door, passing the two of them into another hallway. Walking up to another desk, Poppy signed in, showing her new driver’s license; in return she was handed a visitor’s badge.

Taking the elevator the two Doctors joined a number of others as they made their way to the third floor.

“Doctor Dumas is the lead physician on the case.”

“Correct, he will also be meeting with us in a few minutes in Doctor Dobson's room.”

She had already looked over a good portion of Matt’s medical records before coming to the hospital. From what she read, the prognosis wasn't very good. Still in a medically induced coma, Matt’s body did not appear to be healing as it should. She could tell by Doctor Dumas notes, that it was not something that they expected. The young Pixie wondered if something else kept Matt’s body from getting better.

Although she had steeled herself with the realization of seeing her own body, the reality of it proved much more terrible. Holding the door frame for a moment, she entered the room.

Her body, Matt’s body, appeared much older, frailer than she remembered. Half shaking, she reached for a folder, looking over the results of the most recent tests.

Noticing her discomfort, Doctor Abasi looked concerned. “Are you alright Doctor...Oh, I’m sorry. Doctor St Hill just informed me that the patient is a relative of yours.”

“Yes he is.” Reaching over, she brushed the hair out of Matt’s eyes. Poppy felt that it was like looking at her father all over again, as he lay dying in a VA hospital so many years ago.

“Let me give you some privacy, just call when you’re ready to meet with Doctor Dumas.”

“Thank you.” Sitting down next to her sleeping form, Poppy held Matt’s hand and began to cry.

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

up
242 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love that Kuugen is staying

I love that Kuugen is staying with the Saitos, because they would totally let her stay as long as she needed. That is a nice touch.

The rest of the chapter... excellent stuff. The stuff with the sword is really intriguing and is surely going to be important later on. I am certainly looking forward to more.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Saitos

Elsbeth's picture

I agree, I think the Saitos are the perfect family for her to re-integrate. Of course she probably isn't lounging around wearing SHS sweats and watching daytime TV and eating junk food :) but would be funny to see.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Timeline

Now definitly appears to be just before Takashie's birthday and change.

Takashie's birthday

Elsbeth's picture

This chapter actually takes place the same weekend as his birthday

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Interesting revelations about her sword

Apparently it provides some defenses even when the she is asleep. It is clearly going to be a symbiotic relationship but I wonder what Samphira needs from her wielder to be 'whole'.

Glad Morgan as a character continues to be pushed forward as she has only been on the periphery of more recent stories.

God I remember visiting both my dying parents.

Kim

Morgan as a character continues to be pushed forward

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm very happy I have another vehicle to have Morgan grow more as a character. The sword itself is very much like a familiar, however we have seen it has a little more oomph to it :)

Poppy's visit does bring back memories of me visiting my grandfather at the VA. (I buried my step-father a number of years ago but Ill stay away from that one) He had been a big guy, police officer, US Army Sergeant, although not particularly nice to me personally I don't think he was 'nice' to anyone. Anyway, coming into the hospital room, here was this small frail man and I wondered when did he get to be so old.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I have similar memories

Diesel Driver's picture

I remember my Grandfather as a man about my current age and then just a few years later this frail old man in a hospital bed. Very painful. My father is now the oldest person in our family, older than I remember anyone else getting and He's getting to the point where it might be a kindness for him to go ahead and die. That may sound harsh but his wife of 62 years has been gone for 5 years now and he's getting fragile and temperamental. Can't remember stuff and gets angry that we don't let him help with stuff that he used to be able to do easily. Getting old sucks sometimes. Why can't we just be healthy then not wake up one morning??? Strange are the ways that God made us.

Chris

Pixie's Honor : Chapter 7

Good chapter...so Kuugen was/is Aya...love Princess Bride

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Great Story

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Oh poor Poppy. I can see how that could be so distressing. Now what role Matt's physical form has to play in things will be interesting to say the least!

Thanks for another enjoyable chapter Elsbeth. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Oh poor Poppy.

Elsbeth's picture

I agree, although she will find out very soon she is not alone. Matt's life although he had his wife, was very lonely. Poppy's life, well just isnt :)

Glad your liking the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

Glad your liking it, thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I'm confused.

I really do like your writing. On this one story, I am having difficulty managing scene changes, and telling who everyone is? Perhaps it is owing to the fact that I have not done any gaming, no video games, no comic books and no TV of any kind, so I am at a cultural disadvantage in terms of what familiarity of the characters I might gain from such exposure.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

Tie-ins

I don't think there were many Princess Bride references (not that I'm familiar with that work either), but this chapter does have a lot of tie-ins with events happening elsewhere in Skogshaven (plus a link with a certain family with members in both Skogshaven and Ravencrest). If you're up to date with what's been happening in Elsbeth's other tales, you'll have an idea what's going on here.

The only bit I was confused about was during the discussion between Sapphira, Morgan, Alex and Kuugen:

[Sapphira] “She needs someone to watch over her, and what could be better than you becoming her roommate.”
[Kuugen] “Why not bring her here?”
[Morgan] “We thought about it, however...”
[Sapphira] “It’s safer for her not to be in Skogshaven right now. And I believe, perhaps it’s time that you get out of the Saito’s house.”

It appears they're talking about someone not present, but who? My initial thought was Kimmie/Kimiye, to give her (and her family) time to adapt to their respective new situations , but I'm not sure...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Writing for your Audience

Elsbeth's picture

The Princess Bride is a 1987 American romantic comedy adventure film based on the 1973 novel of the same name by William Goldman, combining comedy, adventure, romance, and fantasy. The film was directed by Rob Reiner from a screenplay by Goldman. The story is presented in the film as a book being read by a grandfather (Peter Falk) to his sick grandson (Fred Savage), thus effectively preserving the novel's narrative style.

I recommend its reading, and watching. Its a wonderful film. True it does have a bit of a cult following, much like Rocky Horror Picture Show or Star Trek. The story has been out over 40 years, so I wouldn't exactly call it a current Pop cultural reference.

However, yes authors do sometimes think that those who they are writing for understand the references they are talking about. I do try to write for my audience but perhaps its the genre. Urban Fantasy can be hard one, normally in fantasy there is a lot more description especially in world building like in my The Sacrificial Boy story. If your characters are 16 year olds in 2011, in Western Massachusetts one would expect they would understand each other when they start talking about Adele at the MTV music awards. You would also expect them to be excited about the latest Halo game out for the XBox.

As for the current chapter, you are correct, but do remember the story is from Poppy's perspective. She doesn't know what exactly is going in Skogshaven (although the readers might) either. Yes, there are a number of plot line running parallel to this one which at least one will come together later. (or spawn more stories)

As the reader, we have stepping into the middle of Morgan's Court lives as an outsider. She has been living her life and trying to cope with her new job, gender, high maintenance girlfriend, family, and fiancé. As her life isn't stagnant, and nether is Skogshaven, currently, a number of things are going on are actually playing out from the end of my Who are the Real Monsters story. In fact, this story touches upon two other DRU stories as well, so alas you have to keep up with all the other stories.

Your right, the girls are talking about someone not present although they have mentioned her earlier in the story. (A certain Countess)

Hopefully this explains where my mind is in with this one. I will try to keep the current Pop cultural references down to a dull roar :) however at least for me personally I love to learn new things, so stories often make me want to reach out to learn them. Even if its just to Google the reference I don't understand what they are talking about. Even writing, you cant imagine the education I have received from out good readers about Massachusetts politics, police work etc.

Also really, if anyone has problems just drop me a PM. I'm always happy to explain what is going on.

Thanks for reading and thank you very much for the comments

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I've seen the movie tried to read the book

Diesel Driver's picture

Perhaps it's just me but I actually found the movie to be better than the book. The characters were so fun to watch. "you use that word a lot, I do not think it means what you think it means" and "My name is Inego Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" have to be the best lines from the whole thing although "he's only mostly dead" comes pretty close.

I thouht of a pun based on the Dread Pirate Robert. It involved a Dread Pirate Mark. Mark had a lot of treasure, too much to keep on his ship so he landed on a deserted island and he and his crew wandered around till he found a good spot and there they buried their treasure. The first mate said something about it being a long and winding path to get where the treasure was and how would they find it again. So the Dread Pirate Mark, gets some rocks and lines them up in a big X over the spot. The light goes on over the first mate's head and he says "ah HA! Mark X's the spot."

Chris

the soon to be roommate

As Elsbeth mentions above my reply, I figured out immeadiately that they were talking about a young Countess attending a private school down in North Carolina. A certain young Countess who recently lost her father due to an Assassination by an unknown member of the Winter Court. I suspect Countess Sianna of that deed myself.

Thank you Elsbeth..

For returning back to this story. I was wondering what was happening with Matt in the hospital. Holding your own hand as your body lie lifeless in front you just boggles the mind. I haven't read some of the other story lines, so some of it is lost to me, but I'm managing to follow along, great story, keep'em comin'. (Hugs) Taarpa

Not lifeless!

Diesel Driver's picture

Almost but not quite. In a drug induced coma is not lifeless. Matt still has a chance to recover. I wonder if Poppy will need to make a choice whether to go back to being Matt or to let his former existence go. I can seriously see Poppy staying on if the decision needs to be made. Honor would demand that she do what she can to protect Morgan and to help the rest of the pixies with their missions.

At least that's how I see it. Besides, what could be better than being a pixie??? Especially if you have no family left and you're getting old. I'm 62 and I'd trade right now!

Chris

Poppy's Pixie's Honor and

Poppy's Pixie's Honor and that sword might be more than great sword play. The Sword might house Matt’ soul and be waiting to be reunited with his body.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh... MY... GOD!!!

Diesel Driver's picture

What a situation to find yourself in. That is the strangest thought I've ever seen expressed. Wonder what happens if she uses her healing powers on him...

Chris