Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1866

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1866
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I drove home on autopilot, reflecting on what had happened in the restaurant and the conversation afterwards. Why is it that I somehow feel second class? Is it that because I started from a different route, I don’t feel as legitimate as most females do? Each time I do it, someone points out the error of my ways, yet I know as soon as the opportunity presents itself I’ll do the same again.

This time it was Erin who came to my rescue, before that it’s been Si or Stella, Tom even Henry who have grounded me or reassured me. I felt a tear run down my face and hoped my mascara was as waterproof as the manufacturers claim. I’d blown it again, and done my usual thing of ignoring, scorning or denying compliments, especially relating to my looks or abilities.

Part of that I could explain. I’d been a girlish looking boy all my life so had suppressed anything which could give the game away as to how I felt inside; which was caused by revealing my feelings when I was quite young and have my father stamp all over me.

The second was simply that to be proud was to be bigheaded and vain, and coming from such a religious background as I did, my protestant work ethic stuff meant that I felt guilty if anyone told me I was good at something or was attractive.

Put the two together and you have a formula for self loathing, which my father couldn’t see. I did overturn a bit of it at university simply because I worked my socks off, and was rewarded with a first. My father was actually proud of me for five minutes. Then I reminded him of my opposition to belief in sky fairies and he took it as a personal attack upon his integrity. Perhaps it was, though purely unconscious, I had merely meant to say that I couldn’t believe in something which cannot be demonstrated, the exact opposite of faith–which was where he was.

If either of us had half a brain we’d have agreed to differ, but he tried to force me to adhere to his values. and I of course. refused. He set upon me several times and being several orders of magnitude bigger than I was, he usually succeeded in doing me physical damage. It was after one such attack that I nearly managed to end it all. In some ways I’m glad I didn’t, and once in a while I wish I had succeeded.

With most things going for me, why would I want to end it all? Same reason most of us do–I get a bit down or feel life is pointless, then I see my children and remember how much they need me to optimise their potential–at least I tell myself that–but it might be just another delusion. I seem to have more of them than the average loony.

I tried to justify my embarrassment over the way Erin asked that passer-by his opinion. If I’d looked like the hairy one from Star Wars, that chap would have said I was attractive, wouldn’t he? Erin put him on the spot and if he’d said I was ugly, he’d know that he would upset me and that’s ungallant or ignoble.

However much women sometimes decry men for all sorts of things, most men don’t seem to like to put women down, just for the sake of it. The man was no oil painting himself, so perhaps he empathised with another less than perfect soul; who knows?

The motorway was dreadful and at one point I sat without moving for twenty minutes. It turned out there had been an accident ahead and I realised that someone had had a worse day than I had. Two or three people were standing behind the crash barrier talking with a uniformed policeman. In front of them two fairly new and probably expensive motor cars showed major damage and judging by the debris on the roadside, could even prove to be write offs.

I used to know a lad who bought insurance write offs and repair them. He made quite a good living until he tried to weld two of them together and it split down the middle as the owner went over a hump back bridge at speed. He was killed. Apparently, between them the two cars he’d joined together had been responsible for the deaths of four people–he went to prison for it. After that he moved, because no one spoke to him for a couple of years when he got out.

I finally got home and David had prepared a delicious spaghetti bolognaise which I love. It so happens the rest of us do as well, so instead of pestering me with questions, which suited me fine, they just made the noises of eating.

It was after dinner I had a bit of a shock. I went down to my study with a cuppa to check my fan-mail, I mean emails–my fanny doesn’t get any mail–and after signing in had an email from one of the teachers I’d confronted that day.

Dear Lady Chatterly,

Sorry couldn’t resist. We were both astonished to meet you after all this time and even more so to realise who you were.

It seems we made a grave error of judgement in what might be seen as harassment these days if not a sexist or homophobic form of harassment. You were quite right to lay into us. I can only apologise for past sins and I’m really glad you’ve done so well; who have thought that little Charlie Watts would end up as a wife and mother to a peer?

On reflection, we’re both really proud of you and ashamed of ourselves, our only defence being things were different back then, which is no excuse.

We both wish you well and are glad you seemed to think your education helped you get where you are, though personally, I suspect your beauty and inherent sexiness may also have contributed. You’ve got to be the most beautiful boy I ever taught, and I don’t mean that sarcastically.

If you come to Bristol again, do feel free to look me up.

Once again apologies for our boorishness.

Yours,

Eric Chalmers.

Wow and double wow, who have thunk it? Charmless apologises–why? Did he think I was going to sue him?

Simon came down to find me, partly to discover where I kept the stain remover–he had tomato sauce on his favourite sweater. I told him what had happened and showed him the email.

“Oh, well that shows you and Erin were both right.” Sometimes I wonder if he was a loss to the diplomatic corps, at others I suspect he could cause the next war. “You know how I feel about it, I’ve said so often enough.”

“What? How to load the washing machine–take your sweater off and I’ll soak it in some stain remover.”

“It won’t shrink will it?”

“No–it’s acrylic, Simon.”

“What? made of plastic?”

“Yes, you know you can’t wear wool anywhere near your skin.”

“That’s right rub it in, label me abnormal.”

“What?”

“I know I’m not a real man, I can’t give you children nor wear wool near my skin...”

I gave him an old fashioned look, “Okay, point taken.”

He winked at me and gave me a very old fashioned hug and a kiss.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

After dinner thoughts

The email was nice, and it is easy to see Cathy appreciated it, but the item that really made Cathy's day worthwhile was Simon's saying, “I know I’m not a real man, I can’t give you children nor wear wool near my skin...”
and what came afterwards:

"I gave him an old fashioned look, “Okay, point taken.”

He winked at me and gave me a very old fashioned hug and a kiss."

Could it be that finally Cathy is beginning to see what it is about her that has been so obvious all along to the rest of the world?

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

There Was Something About That Letter

littlerocksilver's picture

... that almost made me cry. I think many of us realize the errors of our ways, and the stupidity of youth and ignorance. My ignorance led to cruelty that I have to relive many times. The people are not where I can find them these days. Maybe I will go back to my 55th high school reunion and see if there are some more I can apologise to. That will never fix what was done, but maybe sleep will come easier. I wish I could write a letter like that.

Portia

Things were different then.

Yeah, you're so right Cathy they were and you're even righter when declaring that as no excuse. So true dear girl, so true!

Thanks.

Bev.

XX

bev_1.jpg

Erin ,Si, Stella, Tom & Henry

Erin ,Si, Stella, Tom & Henry might one day get it through Cathy's thick head that she is a knock out. And that letter was a great reminder that Charlie Watts was as pretty. But wonder what Simon 'wool' do now.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Validation, validation, validation.

It feels quite nice when someone validates us. I must admit that I am no better than Cathy at needing it, thought I have made a huge effort to have sort of a mantra or psychic program running that allows me to "play the part" to the best of my ability. And, even with that validation, I still have the odd woman tell me that I am not extremely feminine. Bitch!!!

Gwendolyn

Validation is my life's blood....

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...but it can sometimes be a curse, as my recent crisis of identity shows. It bothers, sometimes terrifies me that I don't have clear-cut proof of being trans, it bothers me that I don't look as feminine as I'd like to look, and it bothers me that I'm not as feminine in behavior as I'd like to be. I feel as though I have this giggly, hyperfemme young girl inside of me, but she's incredibly shy....=)

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

I can be quite girly

Angharad's picture

when the mood takes me or rather ungirly, playing with bikes and horror upon horror, getting dirty doing it! I usually remember the gloves after I've got oil everywhere.

We're all individuals and do things differently, there are no shoulds or musts or other imperatives. Just be yourself and the best you, you can be - oh and try and enjoy it, we only come this way once, so smell the flowers.

Angharad

It Was Nice To See Her Teacher...

jengrl's picture

recognize the error of his ways and realize he owed her an apology for his past attitude. I believe there are people that can learn lessons in life and realize and admit when they're wrong. The world would be a much better place if a lot more people could follow his example. When Cathy was recalling the story about the guy who bought and rebuilt wrecked cars. I remembered a report on the news, about rebuilt cars that were found to have been welded together in the same way she described. A man bought a car for his daughter as a graduation gift. He didn't know that it was two halves of different cars welded together. She went out one night with three of her friends and she drove over a railroad crossing. The car broke in half at the weld spot and killed three of them, including his daughter.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

I'm finally glad Cathy is now starting to blossom

out of the funk she had been in for a long long time and slowly learning how to accept life and be. The hard headed prudish attitude wouldn't accept things about her, but could others. Now onto the Blue light specials And Catherine Bond secret agent stuff :D

Sephrena

 
 
 
Life is too short to not take chance at Happiness!

It's nice...

It's nice when someone sees the error in their ways. And, to acknowledge them to Cathy so clearly was quite impressive. I hope she's willing to go back and talk with the gentleman.

As to Simon's bit at the end. LOL. He's not the only person with issues around wool next to the skin. Me - it depends on how good the wool is. I've some wool socks and my kilt - no problem. But, some scratchy stuff (supposedly shorter "hairs" and different diameter makes a difference)... No thank you.

Thank YOU for continuing this interesting tale (others might say tail...). :-)

Annette

Nice to see

two men who can accept they were as they put it boorish, And then had the decency to apologise, Mark it down in you diary Cathy ... It won't happen very often..

Kirri