Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1882

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1882
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Where the last few days had gone was a mystery to me–although they say time passes more quickly when you get older. I was officially a year older but hadn’t even had time to open my cards, my morning had been so frantic.

Here I was, sitting outside the interview room trying to stop the butterflies–make that atlas moths–from crashing in my tummy and causing more rumbles to happen. I’d only had time for a cuppa, so my tummy was full of wind–I think the up draught there was causing the moths problems–and it gurgled more than ever. I’d already been to the loo three times, what with the cold weather and my–let’s face it–anxiety, was playing hell with my digestive system, especially the waste disposal unit.

I’d signed the forms for Danny to visit the battlefields of France and Belgium, and I suggested that they also visit at least one war cemetery and see the thousands of crosses. I also hope the teachers remind the kids that under each cross is a man or woman who died through the folly of politicians and generals, both of which sort usually survive and prosper whatever the outcome on the battlefield: unlike the poor grunts who do the fighting.

According to archaeologist Neil Oliver, Homo sapiens have been in Europe for 40,000 years so why the hell are we still fighting wars? They’ve been in Africa for 200,000 and they fight even more wars there than the Europeans. Perhaps Homo belligerensis might have been a better name than ‘Wise man?’ Or even Homo nincompoopis, I should have done anthropology, then I wouldn’t have been sat waiting for the firing squad who would determine if I got to call myself doctor. They were running late–not a good sign–pooh, I’ve got to go to the toilet again. I ran off to the ladies and had only just returned when I was called into the interview room.

I walked to face my destiny and sat as directed facing the three elders/wise monkeys who were seated the other side of a table. Each had notes and a copy of my dissertation in front of them. They also had a name plate in front of each of them, so at least I’d know who my executioners were. They all had poker faces and my tummy grumbled loudly in the rarified atmosphere of the interview. The chair of the panel, the Professor of Biochemistry, looked up at me and smiled indicating to me that he was either a sadist or had been through the experience himself. I hoped it was the latter.

After a polite but cursory welcome the questions were thick and fast, easy ones to start with but then they became more penetrating. Fortunately I managed to answer them.

Then the killer from Professor Foster the biochemist. “Miss Watts, the area of study was the effects of climate change on mammal populations, is that not correct?”

I agreed it was.

“However, the evidence from previous studies is inconclusive as are the data for populations compared to the most recent analysis with which you have been closely linked. You state that further data and analysis is required because the climate change hasn’t remained constant but seems to have been accelerating in the past twenty years. So is your analysis complete or is this a partial study?”

Oh shit, he would comment on its weakest point which I actually stated several times during the introduction, the body of the work and the conclusions. “I did suggest that it was indicative rather than conclusive, and that the intensity of the survey needed to be continued for several more years or repeated every five or ten years to get a fuller picture. We know that certain species like red squirrels are declining for several reasons, one of which is considered to be climate change along with competition from the American grey, loss of habitat and disease, at the same time most species of deer are increasing, perhaps because the winters have generally been milder and food sources easier found.”

“So this is an indicator rather than a conclusive analysis?”

“Yes, Professor.”

He nodded.

The only woman on the panel, a reader in Marine Biology, Dr Waters, then made me feel quite ill. “What would you do if we turned down your application?”

Gulp. “I hope once I’d dealt with the disappointment, ask each of you for your reasons for the rejection and ask permission to make amendments/corrections and resubmit after an agreed period.”

“So you wouldn’t give up?”

“Tempting though it would be by virtue of the disappointment I’d feel, no, I’d try again assuming my work was considered good enough to form the basis of the resubmission.” My heart was pounding and I felt sick and depressed. The bastards were going to fail me.

They exchanged a few nods and words and I was asked to wait outside again. I took the opportunity to say if I wasn’t directly outside, I’d be in the loo. I got a weak smile in return and a nod.

I went to the corridor and once again ran to the ladies, this time throwing up as well having the squits. I took another loperamide tablet and after washing my hands, wiped my face with a damp paper towel. I looked as ill as I felt. So far it had been a perfectly awful morning.

Catherine had grabbed at the teapot on the table and only Trish’s alertness prevented a nasty accident. Instead she burnt her hand a little and I stood with her holding it under the cold tap. Fortunately, it seemed to recover after that. Of course Catherine was squealing her head off, and I had to ask Jacquie to deal with her.

We’d all overslept after watching some stupid DVD which went on for half an hour longer than we thought, and with my torment from the examining panel in my mind, I slept very badly. I was sure it was nerves, which really annoyed me, but this was a very important matter to me; yet part of me thought, why don’t I just retire and spend Simon’s money for him for the rest of my life? Probably because the boredom would be worse than this stress and I just don’t see myself sitting with a group of equally bored female chinless wonders describing our latest fling with the game-keeper.

I wasn’t a natural aristocrat–in fact, I wasn’t a natural anything, except perhaps worry-knickers. I vomited again and finally managed to stagger back to the chair outside the Star Chamber–a medieval court with draconian powers and little supervision–a sort of kangaroo court run by the knights and barons.

I was wondering whether I’d need to dash to the loo again when the door opened and I was invited to return to hear the verdict of the court–I mean panel. I just hoped they’d pass sentence quickly so I could go home and rest.

“Miss Watts,” said the chairman, “please don’t look so worried. There are one or two weak areas of which you’ve shown recognition and insight and also indicated how further data should show more conclusive trends. I have certainly seen much worse efforts which have been rewarded with a degree.”

I wasn’t sure which way they were going to pronounce, but if they didn’t do it soon I’d likely be sick or mess myself or pass out, I felt so ill. I felt myself swaying and asked to sit down. Suddenly, the three of them were fussing round me and offering me glasses of water. I suspect I might have actually fainted because when I really worked out where I was, Tom was standing over me shaking his head. “Ye scunner, scarin’ me haf tae deeth.”

“I’m sorry, Daddy, I just felt so ill. I’m sorry if I disappointed you.” I leant against his ample tummy and bawled.

“Whit’s a’ this fa’?”

“I failed you,” I sniffed.

“Failed me? Hoo did ye do that?”

“They rejected my paper.”

“Whit?”

“My dissertation, it wasn’t good enough.”

“Och ye muckle heid, ye’ve passed it, ye’re Dr Watts noo. Not only that but they were impressed wi’ yer thoroughness and honesty. They want thae university tae seek funding tae dae a continuing study.”

“What?” I gasped my head reeling.

“Ye’ve passed, yer big dunder-heid, happy birthday, Dr Dormouse.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You've only been and gone and done it

and so has Cathy.

We are so honoured to be in the presence of nobility - and that includes both you and Cathy.

Happy birthday from all your readers.

S.

I Remember It Well

littlerocksilver's picture

I'll never reach the lofty position of a PhD. I'm definitely not academic enough. I did get a Master of Science in Environmental Management 33 years ago. That's probably one of the reasons I enjoy these stories so much. I studied hard for the orals, and one of the examiners was an economics professor, and economics was definitely my weak subject among several. I thought the exam went well. I answered everything they asked, and after about 45 minutes they concluded the interview. While I was waiting for my sentence, I glanced at my watch. I had been in there over three hours, not 45 minutes. Boy, time's fun when you're having flies. I did pass, and I must say it was far more satisfying than my BS.

Portia

Congratulations!

Yes, oral exams are a difficult and even terrifying experience. Defending one's research, and demonstrating that it is worthwhile is difficult enough, but when one has to do it in front of strangers, it's a traumatic experience that you relive in your worst nightmares.

Dr. Catherine Cameron sounds very good. Now, what will she do with it?

And, happy birthday to both Cathy and Angharad. And, many, many more to both.

Red MacDonald

Three cheers for Dr Dormouse!

I have visions of a conga line of dormice dancing around Cathy as Tom is congratulating her.

Kim

Yaaaaay!!!! I must admit I

Yaaaaay!!!!

I must admit I was so cool during my commttee meetings for the MA and PhD (piled higher and deeper) that I really may have seemed not to care. They just couldn't shake me up. No drugs involved either. Hate the stuff. I knew I had done a good job both times, and the committees had reviewed the products and already found them acceptable or I wouldn't have been sitting in front of them. By the time I got to the PhD, I had already written professional papers and reports (20 of each) that were published, so I KNEW I was good enough!!! LOL Poor Cathy has a bit of insecurity. I blame Tom for not giving her more positive feedback. But alls well. Except she might be preggers. No, not really I guess. Sigh! No gift from She Who Must BE Obeyed.'

CaroL

CaroL

*sighs*

All I can say is, I'm glad my wife's session was clearer than that. On the other hand, her trials with Tenure were pretty bad. Oy...

So, the question becomes what's the correct way to fully address her?

Lady Dr. Catherine Watts ne Cameron? or is it Dr. Catherine Watts or Lady Catherine Cammeron - depending on academic or social situation? I've no clue, to be honest.

Thanks,
Annette

Dr. Catherine Cameron, nee Charlie Watts

I hope this doesn't mark the approach of the end of this fabulous soap opera, which began with Charlie Watts (later to be become Catherine Watts, and then Catherine Cameron) out cycling, and getting grazed by a car driven by Stella who became a best friend, and helped guide him into being the girl he really was, who by the way, was a Master Degree recipient, and was working towards a PhD in Dormice study. Now, nearly 1900 episodes later, that goal has been accomplished. Charlie Watts, now Catherine Cameron, has been deemed worthy of, and given, the Doctorate that has been a background story of its' own though out this entire story.

I have read your blog titled "Bike" and I really hope (without having to arrange a hit with the Dormouse/Bike Mafia) that somehow you can continue this marvelous story, along with the excellent help that Bonzi and Izzy provide.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Is it the Portsmouth Hotel?

Will she an SI take the brood off south? I would love for them to go to the Castle, but I don't think that Dr Cameron has fond memories of the place. :)

Gwendolyn

Dr Catherine 'Spike' Dormouse has a

nice ring to it. Bet everybody makes a fuss over her, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Haven't seen much of Henry and Monica lately

Will they celebrate the accomplishment? Hope people appropriately appreciate the work Cathy has put into achieving this goal.

It is sadly only

to easy to burn yourself, As i was to found out recently, I was cooking some vegetables in the microwave and like a fool i lifted the cling film to see if they were cooked, Which of course resulted in lots of steam escaping and me rushing to the cold tap. Thankfully the damage was only slight but it did serve as a warning to me to be far more careful in future

Certainly where young children are concerned you have to watch them all the time, One moments laspe by you and a child can pull at that interesting looking cable never realising what the consequences might be, Cathy was lucky Trish was watching and was able to prevent a nasty accident , Maybe Trish realised that her mummy was not wathching her little daughter as closely as she should have been doing given that Cathys mind was elsewhere , Whatever the reason Trish proved once again that yes she might be a know -it- all pain it the backside for some of the time, But once again she was able to prove herself invaluable to her mother...

Kirri

Viva voce

As could probably be expected, there were a wide range of questions, including a few toughies ("What would you do if we failed you?" sounds mean but is, of course, a means of assessing devotion to the subject / project). Of course, for a pessimist (and/or someone feeling incredibly nervous) like Cathy, that line of questioning sounds as though they are intended to fail her, which is probably why she didn't listen carefully to the entire conclusion - while admitting there were a few weak areas, they also effectively said they were justifiably weak as further research (beyond the scope / time limits of the PhD) would be needed to strengthen them. Not to mention that if she'd been more herself and not expecting an imminent announcement of failure, the "Don't look so worried" comment should have tipped her off...

Now all she's got to do is face the welcoming committee back home :)
Perhaps David could rustle up a tuna pasta bake in celebration (given tuna does appear to be Cathy's favourite food) :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Acedemia.

By the time I'd hauled myself through three years of collecting assorted samples of crude oil from all over the world, comparing their adhesive qualities vis-a-vis 'clingage' in ship's cargo tanks I was just bloody thankful to eventually achieve an M.Sc.

I was just too wrung out to even remotely consider going further. I was emotionally, and physically exhausted and I was finally coming to terms with other aspects of my life that were now acquiring much greater importance. Marriage, family, parenthood and of course the biggest issue of all, the issue that grew inexorably until it was too big to ignore. I actually found the presentation and defence of my research to be reasonably easy because the examiners were primarily academic chemists and materials engineers. There questions tended to be very spocific requiring tight, readily quantifiable answers. There wasn't much scope for speculation within the fields they were qualified. The unknown variables arose when corroded surfaces were later included in the tests and the effects were virtually un-measurable, at least down to microscopic tolerances.

Nevertheless I can readily identify with the Cathy's 'loose-bowel' feelings.

Sorry I haven't commented on the last 12 days but my PM explains why.

Good story Cathy. (Or is that Dr Cameron?)

Thanks.

bev_1.jpg

Congratulations

Congratulations to Dr. Cathy Cameron! And I'm sure that Old Mother Hubbard with her brood in that shoe wasn't working on a PhD along with everything else.

It seems that Cathy found this review panel more frightening than a big, ugly Russian guy pointing a gun in her face!


Kung Fu Cat 2 (Closeup).jpg

Congratulations Dr Dormouse

Rhona McCloud's picture

Re-reading EAFOAB for the third or fourth time I am still moved by how accurately you have caught moments in my own life. Thank you Angharad

Rhona McCloud