Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1888

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1888
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next day, after dropping the children into school and Phoebe into college, I went and did some Christmas shopping, buying small gifts for the kids to put under the tree and one or two main presents. Daddy is the easiest adult to buy for, a case of single malt and he’s happy as a sand boy.

I got Sammi, Jacqui, Julie and Phoebe vouchers from Topshop and Next, plus each got a soft toy and some tights and panties. Livvie, Trish and Mima got a new dress each, some tights and panties plus book tokens. To unwrap, they each had a small electronic game. Danny got book tokens, tokens for a sports shop and pair of gloves to unwrap, as well as socks and boxer shorts.

The little ones got clothes and a couple of toys each. For Stella I bought a new hairdryer and a subscription to a magazine she likes. David got a new electric shaver and some boxer shorts. The cat got a couple of toys stuffed with catnip and Kiki got a postman’s leg — a long bone cooked and filled with fat or something else the dogs enjoy trying to extract.

That left Simon, I got him an upgrade on his sat nav, it’s a Garmin–you know Dave Millar and all that. So I saw it more as sponsoring a cycling team than buying a present for my husband.

I did get small presents for Pippa and her boys. They’re still riding their bikes so I got them new cycling gloves and bike cleaning kit by Muckoff–it’s good stuff which I use regularly–or do when I’m riding.

I also got stuff for Henry and Monica. They were coming for Christmas dinner as their housekeeper/cook was going to stay with her brother for Christmas. Pippa and her family weren’t coming this year as they were going to her mum’s.

David and I had discussed the menu and he was busy filing up cupboards and freezers with all sorts of goodies, either stuff he’d bought or where possible had made himself. He’d made two Christmas cakes and two puddings which the kids had helped him with, each having a stir for luck. In the old days they used to add silver three-penny pieces, but that would now be considered unhygienic, even though we could sterilise them in the lab. It was lucky to get one in your piece of pudding, assuming it didn’t destroy your teeth while you chewed it, or worse you swallowed it and had to wait for it to pass through. It would be like panning for silver, I suppose checking to see if it had come through.

I got home spent out and exhausted, leaving some of the stuff in the car until I could hide it in the garages. I had a cuppa and piece of the sponge cake David had made. The rest had had lunch, I was no longer hungry, and besides, the cake was enough, especially as I could do with losing the odd inch around my waistline. As I headed towards my thirties I was aware I should really be training harder and eating less to maintain a buff body–I think that’s the phrase they use, not quite sure what it means, but as no one heard my thoughts, it doesn’t matter.

The cake was delicious and I thanked David for his genius and keeping me a slice before Stella ate it all. I changed into my working clothes and did some bed stripping and laundry. The problem with so many inhabitants was that one bed needed stripping each and every day more or less. I didn’t do one on New Year’s Day or Good Friday because my mum had always been superstitious about those days, when if you do wash you’re suppose to wash away someone’s life with the dirty laundry water.

I suspect it goes back more to giving the poor women a day off, in days gone by, they’d have worked huge hours, but then so did the men. I remember someone telling me that their hours were reduced to fifty hours per week. Do that to lots of today’s manpower and they’d be sick after a fortnight, unable to keep up the pace or the hours. Unless you’re a teacher or lecturer, then you might have to work sixty or seventy hours to get all your prep and marking done.

My conversation with Tom had been brief. He confirmed I’d be regarded as a reader, which is equivalent to a deputy or assistant professor in a US university. It also meant a significant salary rise, part of which was funded by the bank. I did suggest that could cause problems, a bit of incest or family favouritism unless the posts had been advertised. He assured me they’d remained within the policies of both the university and government guidelines.

I’d told Simon I’d have a go, but not until the centres had been built and I’d had some influence on their design. He told me they weren’t starting until next April at the earliest, perhaps later. He also suggested they’d take at least a year to construct, more if I kept interfering in the design. I asked to see one of the plans but he fumbled with it and I never did see it. Mind you he hadn’t seen a 1:25,000 of the area proposed for development.

This business with the ash trees was a bit worrying as we had some of them dotted about the site It seemed to be making itself appear in new places almost daily. I asked if there was a protocol for that and was told to write one. I contacted someone from the Forestry Commission for some advice and he agreed to do a quick survey through the woodland in Hampshire. He was going to do that the next day and I agreed to accompany him on the survey–well, if he showed me what he was looking for, I could do the same the next day and so on.

When Stella went up to her apartment I sneaked in half the presents and stuck them in my capacious wardrobe. I then ran down and brought up the second lot.

The idea of the survey was quite interesting. If we did have much of the Ash Dieback Disease, then I’d get a team in to fell the damaged ones and burn them. I hated the idea of taking down trees but it seemed the only way. I hoped we could replant and thus repopulate at some point in the future so was going to grow oodles of ash trees in the hope they missed the disease.

I dunno, a forester’s work is never done.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Foresters

Isn't that a pub somewhere?

S.

no

Maddy Bell's picture

its the Warsop cheerleading squad!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

nor

Maddy Bell's picture

a researchers! good chapter, at least Cathy didn't get on her high horse over inconsequentials!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I think I'd be happy ...

... with a whole case of single malt but I guess I'll be making do with a single bottle. I rather like Armagnac but it's hard to come by in the UK or even often in France outside the SW.

I feel exhausted after reading of Cathy's Xmas shopping expedition. I'm really glad we opt out except for young kids and there aren't any in our family right now - they're all growed up and pretending to be adults :)

Robi

Ash Die-back.

I reckon the answer to Ash Die-back is to let the disease run it's course. It's stupid cutting down all the ash trees to try and stop it's inexorable edvance all over UK. By cutting down all the trees, you'd also destroy and disese resistant trees, (bit like babies and bathwater,. Best to let the diseasrun it's course then at the end of the decade, find where there are any remaining survivors and re-propogate from them.

In Port Talbot we have a whole spread of elm trees immune to Dutch Elm disease but the stupid motorway authorities cut about 6 down to build a motorway and an Amazon wharehouse.

Still lovin' it ANg but don't mention Christmas shopping. Bloody nightmare.

XX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Interesting bit on...

Interesting bit on the coin in the cake. Reminds me of the "toy" in the "King Cake" for Mardes Gras celebrations in New Orleans... Whoever got the toy in their slice was supposed to have good luck for the next year.

A busy episode, most definitely!

Thanks,
Annette

Silver

Silver has anti-bacterial properties which is why it is good to eat off of actual silverware. However, I am sure that just like U.S. coinage your U.K. coinage no longer has any silver content in it.

As a former soldier and Field Artillery Surveyor I love working with 1:25's and 1:50 topographic maps. As a group of Surveyors is called a Party we were usually able to develop the ability of looking at our 1:50's when I was in Germany and determine which Villages and Towns had a Gasthouse in it. HEY!!! The ability to locate where the local beer could be aquired and imbibed is a VERY important skill for soldiers!!! :)

Meat and Potatoes

Meat and Potatoes these two plots will be for Catherin's keen eye for detail and her attention to the holistic function of the environment. I am expecting to see some grand science come from this keen investment made by Pa in law and Simon.

AS the pressures of population and the services required to support them increase it is very important we keep in escrow those places we can. And understanding there function and how to keep them viable is of the highest priority. These oases-es from civilization will also help sooth the savaged human soul.

Another type of research center also needs to come into being. One which teaches how to adapt our inter urban spaces into a more nature friendly areas that blend forestry practices and husbanding skills into the very fabric of our society reducing the impact we are having on our fragile life support system. I think Catherin will become well known in this field in her England, and actually be doing something about the problems facing the future generations.

Huggles
Michele former oceanographic technician.

P.S.
Please post any Job offerings or voluntarily positions available. The commute will be a bit stiff but the work rewarding.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Glad to See Cathy

Christmas shopping.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hiding presents

in the wardrobe.... Isn't that a little obvious ... My children would have tracked them down in less than five minutes , Of course they were warned that Santa might not vist if they insisted on looking for them , But did that stop them?... Lets just say that the attic thankfully was out of their reach..

At least i hope it was..

Kirri