Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1894

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1894
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I followed through to the lounge just in time to see Stella rescue Puddin’ from the fireplace. Obviously there was no fire lit, but she had a brush and was trying to sweep the chimney–she’d been watching Mary Poppins earlier and fancied herself as Dick Van Dyke. If she starts talking in that fake cockney accent he used, I shall personally shove her up the chimney and light the fire.

She had some soot on her clothing and we managed to shake much of it out before throwing it in the washing machine–having removed it from Pud first. She was taken upstairs and dumped unceremoniously in the bath and scrubbed from head to foot. She was still glowing a bright pink when Stella brought her back down.

I got to thinking about Des, Puddin’s dad. I still had the letter he wrote me which his uncle had given me on the reading of the will. I continued to be unable to understand how he could fancy me over someone like Stella. I should have done a variation order and altered the will because now, although I’ve invested the money I get for the rental of the cottage, which Puddin’ will receive when she’s twenty one. When she does get it, there will be more awkward questions.

I remember Stella being very strange after he died and them having to admit her for psychiatric care at the clinic near Hastings. At one point, my car would have gone there by itself, I went so often to see her. Then we had the drama when the baby was born and the aftermath of that. Some people are born lucky, poor old Stella seems to have been born unlucky. Either that or someone has put a curse on her to stop her having a good life. If they have and I find out who it is, they’ll feel the sharp edge of my tongue and my feet or knuckles on other parts my tongue misses.

Personally I don’t believe in curses and other forms of mumbo-jumbo, unless the victim on learning he’s cursed, begins to act as if they were under the influence of the spiteful thoughts of the curser. It made me smile to think the person who curses is a homophone of the little arrow thing on a computer screen, and have I cursed that a few times–though that of course is a cursor.

Curious language English, I must learn to speak it one day–the person who is the victim in all of this isn’t the curse but the accursed. If they were in the dock of a criminal court would they be the accursed accused? Answers on a post card, usual address.

Now, back to the present and the still glowing Puddin’, she didn’t seem any the worse for the soot or the subsequent scouring. Perhaps one day I’d read them The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley which was all about the abuse of children in the workplace.

It seems bizarre to think that in Victorian times children were put to work in factories, mines or even in large houses, where the injury or sickness risks were phenomenal and many of them died. Today we sometimes seem to overprotect them, but as recent events in Connecticut have shown that it’s impossible to protect them all the time from acts of barbarism by strange people–by strange, I mean strange in a psychiatric sense, because no normal person could cold bloodedly murder twenty primary school kids.

If we look at some of the practices in the third world, children are exploited as poor families make them work to help bring in a wage. It’s scandalous in the twenty first century that such practices are still extant. So come back Charles Kingsley and Lord Shaftesbury, there is still work to be done to protect children.

The news from America had made me feel so sad for the families of the victims, the children and their brave teachers who’d tried to protect them. It added to my abhorrence of guns but as I’ve mentioned this before, I won’t dwell on it.

I wasn’t sure what else to do with Mima, except to tell her to just walk away if she felt someone was trying to provoke her, at the same time, if she’s going to get into fisticuffs, to make the first blow she lands, count. I think she might have that sorted already.

I carried Catherine back to the study and put her down. She burped again, giggled and ran off down the hallway back to the main part of the house. I heard another burp and giggles a few seconds later. I was trying not to react because she was now aware of attention getting through things she did. I didn’t want to encourage her in such pursuits by reacting and thus rewarding her behaviour.

I was cogitating on these things instead of the ash dieback disease when the phone rang, then my phone rang, “For you, Cathy.”

“Hello?”

“Mrs Cameron?” asked a woman’s voice.

“Yes, who is that please?”

“Mrs Russell, Melanie’s mother.”

“Good evening, how can I help you?”

“My husband and I are distressed to discover my daughter has a large bruise on her face which she says your daughter gave her.”

“My daughter also has a bruise on her face caused by your daughter.” She didn’t but Russell didn’t know that.

“I don’t believe my daughter would indulge in fisticuffs, she says your daughter hit her first.”

“Did she say why Jemima slapped her?”

“Yes, your daughter is a bad tempered thug who started a fight with her.”

“I can’t say what happened but I can say what the headmistress told me and that was your daughter was teasing my daughter, who has a speech impediment, to the point of exasperation. Jemima is at least two years younger than Melanie and thus quite a bit smaller.”

“That’s all lies. Melanie said that Jemima just ran up and hit her.”

“Obviously hard enough to induce amnesia,” I said sarcastically.

“That’s enough of that attitude. My husband has examined her and considers that the bruising is enough to involve the police. He’s a doctor you know?”

“Yes, I do know. He would also be aware that being a child under ten years of age, no sort of prosecution is possible, though perhaps I might counter sue, as your daughter would be just about old enough.”

“It was you I was going to sue for being unable to control your children.”

“Fine, I hope you’ve got a good legal team and deep pockets because it’s going to cost you and I only have the resources of a bank to help me. Good day, Mrs Russell, see you in court.” I put the phone down. I was seething.

“Want a cuppa?” asked Stella then picking up my mood she asked, “Who’s upset you?”

“That bloody woman is talking about suing us because Mima thumped her disgusting offspring.”

“What woman?”

“Dr Russell’s wife. He’s examined his precious daughter’s face and it’s all bruised.”

“Through Mima hitting her?”

“So she claims.”

“She’s hardly big enough to cause massive bruising.”

“I’ll speak to Sister Maria on Monday.”

Stella shook her head, “What was she doing to provoke Mima to hit her?”

“Teasing her.”

Stella shook her head again, “And I thought I was spoilt,” she muttered before going back to make the tea.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Seems To Me That Melanie's Parents...

jengrl's picture

should be held accountable for failure to control their bully of a daughter. I have known parents like that who never believe their child could do anything like that and they will defend their child to the ends of the Earth. Their child never learns anything about how to treat people respectfully and they wind up in serious trouble with the law later in life.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Wonder if the school has a no-bullying policy?

If not, maybe it's time for one. While Mima shouldn't have hit anyone, the teasing should be punished too. Need to teach Mima to go to her older sisters for help. Can't help but assume that in a verbal exchange Trish would be devastating to her opponent. Well... guess that isn't a good idea either - don't want Trish to be accused of being the bully.

Bullys are taught by the

Bullys are taught by the actions of others, not born

Reconciling ones feelings in the face of disaster.

I've been feeling dead inside because of the incident in Conneticut, and purposefully not thinking of it. Then today, many people I know were strongly emoting about it, and I began to wonder if I am alive.

It finally came to me that I am angry about it, frustrated that the kid was not stopped sooner. He'd had a bitter confrontation with 4 women at the school, three of which are now dead. I'm just wondering what we will learn of all this? Perhaps police should be on a very short notice status?

Puddin' reminding Cathy

about her father shows she needs to take care of that oversight before Stella gets hurt. But wonder if the brown cow lady and her child could help out with that bully girl.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More legal Battles?

Probably, and Melanie's mother and family is going to be on the losing end, big time.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Not sure about England but a medical education in the US...

is very expensive. And most begining doctors owe substancial amounts in student loans. Then they have a practice to establish or buy into. I assume it is easier in England with your National Health but still likely bloody expensive.

So unless he had a lot of scholarships and grants or came from wealth he may still have sizable student loans to finish paying off. And unless he inherited, a large mortgage, as a doctor and his pompmous wife would not live in a *hovel*.

Wanna bet those loans are with Cathy's family bank or that they can buy them up? Or a clinic or a hospital he works at owe the bank a ton of dosh?

Can you say *called in* and *bankrupt*?

Not that our Cathy would ever be so mean but she might pretend to if they don't get their heads out of their bums about their *perfect* daughter.

Bonzi, you are one devious kitty. Good kitty.

BTW According to the actor himself, the Disney people goofed in getting him, Dick Van Dyke, a voice coach. They guy they hired was a former Irishman so he speaks a bad Irish accent, well an Irishman's concept of a Cockey acent, in the aformentioned film.

Ah the wonders of Hollywood.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S, Mind you Walt Disney was so pleased with Julie Andrew's work he shopped her around and helped land her lead roles inThe Americanization of Emily AND The Sound of Music. Nice consolation prizes for the woman Hollywood thought too much of an unknown to play Eliza Dolittle in My Fair Lady despite having created the role and played it agaianst Rex Harrison on Broadway!

John in Wauwatosa

John, John, John

what are we gonna do with you? No one has ever stated the people in Hollywood are smart or have ANY common sense.

Or accuracy in a Fantasy story

Though there have been really good accents (even Brits admit it) like Renee Zelleweger's Bridget Jones.

Kim

Renee Zelleweger

Angharad's picture

Does brilliant British accents, and how about Johnny Depp's Keith Richard impression in Pirates of the Caribbean, 'Captain Jack Sparrow'.

Angharad

Parents Taking Sides O ver Fights

This episode took me back to my own childhood. Mums would be threatening one another at the front door over the fights their kids got into, whilst those same kids were making friends outside the back door !

Briar

Cathy v Mrs Russell

Not going to be much of a fair contest is it ... No doubt if it gets nasty Cathy could always ask James to have a quiet look into the backgrounds of the doctor and his wife... Who knows what he might turn up...

Kirri

It doesn't pay for parents ...

to get too involved in their kid's spats. Invariably the facts are at best flawed and at worst, totally contradictory. No doubt if there's little, or better still, no hard clear evidence of guilt, the kids'll sort it out one way or another.

Best to leave it to the school unless one gets 'the summons' and then look out.

Good un Cathy.

Hugs.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg