The Bedroom

Printer-friendly version

The Bedroom

Sarah reached into her son’s bedroom to turn out the light.

She looked at the posters on the wall, and sighed. Pictures of women in bikinis were there, but the biggest one was a picture of a woman in a sheer lace bra, panties, and thigh high stockings in a pair of see-through high heels.

Many mothers would demand such sexist posters be taken down, but several years ago she reached an agreement with the child that he could do what he liked with his room, as long as he kept it neat and tidy.

And he certainly had done that, the bed was perfectly made, and nothing was out of place, and even the carpet was vacuumed.

But she vowed to remind him about the light when he came home from school.

Later that day, after school and dinner and homework and a modest about of television, the occupant of the room went in, closed the door, and prepared for sleep.

As was the occupant’s custom, the large poster was touched, and a sigh escaped.

“Someday ...” Another sigh.

“Someday, I’ll look just like you.”

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A little snippet of text...

can sometimes say so much.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

thanks, Dwere

glad you liked it.

DogSig.png

Short

Short, very short, but sweet.

Rami

RAMI

Yes, I Remember It Well

littlerocksilver's picture

The guys at college thought my room was cool because I put up a collage of playboy centerfolds on the corkboard. This was 1965-66. If only they knew. THey were so beautiful. Of course, today, they'd be in their 70's.

Portia

time marches on, Portia

Some of the women I grew up envying would be about that age now too.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Not even sure

Daniela Wolfe's picture

I'm not even sure how I reached this page, but whatever happened I'm glad I found my way here. This is certainly well work the read, a short but sweet tale.


Have delightfully devious day,

glad you liked it, D.A.W.

A nice change of pace to write for me.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Wonderfully put indeed.

Extravagance's picture

Who among us (besides most of the male men) in this community hasn't been in a similar position to that "boy"?

I can't really bring myself to call this fiction. It's too real, and in a very good way. You sure do come up with some amazing ways to put our collective thoughts into words. I can still call you an author though, and I'm proud to declare you amongst my favorites.
*Deeply passionate huggles*

As for me, I have never even owned a poster like that, let alone put one up on a wall of any place that I have called a bedroom.
...Mainly because nobody does posters of the people I would aspire to resemble and/or be known as similar to.

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Ahhhh yes, and for me...

It was the Sports Illustrated swim suit calander. (LOL). Thanks Dottie! (Hugs) Taarpa

Hugs back, Taarpa

The girl in this story was a "Sunshine girl", a regular feature in a local paper.

Glad you liked it, and thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

smokescreen

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Hidden in plain site, the son's dream poster also sends up a perfect smokescreen at the same time.

Short yet powerful.

lots of us hid stuff that way

its survival when you have to pretend to be someone you're not, I think.

Thanks for the comment

DogSig.png

Sublime...

Ole Ulfson's picture

You just wrote my teen years. Only no posters, just a few pictures torn from girl's beauty magazines. Hidden carefully and then not as carefully after my dad had that talk with me about the "M" word. Age 13, I think: About 2 years late...

Not there yet... Sigh...

Maybe someday...

Thank you for expressing something so universal so well,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

thanks, Ole

I was surprised how many of us said "I did this!"

Glad you liked it.

DogSig.png

Guess I'm the outlier

RobertaME's picture

I had no posters on my walls.

None.

To this day I still have trouble expressing myself through wall art. Growing up, I wasn't allowed to put up any sort of anything on the walls of my room. My parents wouldn't permit me to. My sister was allowed to, though... which I still have a little baggage over. My parents had weird ideas about boys and girls and how each should be treated. She got a car for her 16th birthday, while I had to buy mine... she got the phone line at 10, I couldn't have one until I was 14... she could decorate her room how she liked, my room had to be stark and cold. I would never have been allowed to have pictures of girls on my walls, and now I can't do it.

Baggage? Sometimes I feel like I have a full luggage set!

hugs, hon

I had only one poster - it was of the band The Police. now, I have some store-bought pictures and some pictures of my daughter.

DogSig.png