Escape to Yourself - Before

Printer-friendly version

So how did he end up there, wherever there is…

Lonely roads and lost towns. Quiet places where you can think.
Not that that necessarily gets you anywhere.
Space is what it is, as are people.

This is a work of adult fiction.
No resemblance to reality should be inferred or expected.
Copyright : KLS 2007

Escape to Yourself - Before

By Kristina.L.S.

He sat arms on knees and watched as the road train pulled away, slowly gathering speed and gradually disappearing into the heat haze. Pulled himself to his feet and looked toward where his hat had sailed after being tossed Frisbee like from the drivers window. His small leather duffle sat only a few metres away, covered in soft red brown dust. He patted himself down a little raising clouds of dust. Crossed the road and after a minute or so found his hat snagged on a piece of brush, slapped it twice on his thigh to clear dust and maybe a bug or two and jammed it back on his head.

Re-crossed the road to his bag and searched for a patch of shade, to sit and gather his thoughts. A few dusty eucalypts offered some small respite from the heat so grabbing the shoulder strap of his bag he wandered the few hundred metres along the road and sat on the sparse grass against the trunk.

The view was slightly uninspiring, a few scattered farm buildings away to his right across the road. He briefly considered heading there and asking for… what? He had two one and half litre water bottles tucked in his bag, he'd eaten only a few hours before and unfortunately had drunk coffee. Expecting to be riding in the truck cabin for a few hours the diuretic properties had taken a back seat to warm pleasure after the post dawn chill. He shrugged slightly, he'd walk and see where the road went.

Slipped a little more upright and into a cross-legged position, absently pulling the hat from his head and the elastic tie with it, shook out his hair. Running his fingers quickly through it a few times to shake loose a bit of dust and grit. His gaze wandered the other way spotting a big wedge tail sitting on a fence post some hundred metres or so up into a paddock, slowly and deliberately pulling pieces from what appeared to be the carcass of a small roo. As he watched he almost unconsciously finger combed and slowly plaited his hair twisting the tie to hold its end between his shoulder blades.

Every so often the Eagle would hop slightly, stretching its wings for balance, to resettle itself and adjust the position of dinner. He tried to judge its size and guessed the wingspan would be wider than he was tall. That brought a small wry smile to his lips, 'outclassed by a bloody bird'… impressive though it was. He sat there for a while just daydreaming and half watching the bird feed. Eventually it launched itself lazily into the air, the remainder of its food clutched in the talons and trailing out behind and below. As it slowly gained height and drifted almost effortlessly off toward the distant hills, his thoughts returned to the immediate past.

He'd been dropped at a crossroads, the taciturn, fortyish driver of the old Landcruiser seemed troubled by his near silent passenger.

The quiet, semi question, "I can take you as far as Taylors Rd, if that's any good…"

He had no idea where Taylors Rd was so just nodded and climbed in. The ride had been completely silent after that until, the Toyota pulled over, "Well this is far as I go this way. You take care ok. Not everyone's as easygoing as you might hope."

"Thanks, I'll be careful." He'd climbed out as the guy watched silently sucking his teeth as though trying to decide something. Then blowing out softly he nodded through the open window and with a languid wave, headed on to wherever he was going.

He stood for a minute watching the Toyota kick up the dust on the dirt side road and then turned to head along the edge of the tar strip heading vaguely north. Walked for an hour or two waving off a couple of cars that slowed as if to ask…'lift?' Finally as dusk approached he had come across one of those semi official truck stop lay-bys. Seven rigs pulled off the road forming a makeshift camp. The drivers, all men were either sitting on small folding camp chairs waiting for the water suspended over the fire to boil, or doing end of day checks before settling down for the evening.

As each became aware of the lone figure they had stopped talking or doing and silently watched, making those automatic assumptions we all make and asking silent questions.

As he got close the question was called, "What the hell are you doin' walkin' around out here on yer own girl? Come in and have a cuppa."

Another small folding chair was produced and he sat with a silent nod as they all gathered closer and watched silently. The conversation slowly resumed as they quietly watched from the corners of their eyes. As the water came to the boil each poured their preferred poison, a cup was produced as both tins were waved in question, 'tea or coffee?'

"Coffee, please." A Long life milk carton and a small container of sugar were nudged with a boot toe to indicate, 'help yourself '. He fixed his cup and sat, leaning forward elbows on knees, sipping… silently aware of the unasked questions.

The conversation rambled on around him as he half listened and half daydreamed. Memories of old battles, scars both emotional and physical for some reason seemed closer than normal tonight. He was peripherally aware of the quiet scrutiny of those around the fire, but it was distant as he gazed into the flames, sipped his coffee and remembered.

His thoughts flashed back and forth following no logical pattern as dreams often did. Did that apply while you were still awake he mused to himself… seemed so.

People and places he'd been and met, names he could remember and many he could not. Confrontations and an occasional pleasant scene.

His Father, slapping him hard enough across the face to drop him to the ground because he had dared to argue. His Mother shaking him violently back and forth and screaming at him… enough with the questions just do as you're told. The spittle sticking to his face and the feeling of it drying… still vivid, as was the memory of her tears.

School days; being chased, over under and around by those deputised to bring him to the teacher, until he had finally stopped and given himself up. Later being beaten and teased until he had reacted violently when confronted by five of his main tormentors. The taunts and images still rang clear years later; that day when one of his adversaries had stopped him on the way to class. Surrounded by his peers he had held out his clenched fist as the mob slowly surrounded…'kiss it'… and when defiantly he had, then licking the knuckles and spitting on the ground, that fist had smashed into his face bringing stars and a small trickle of blood. And so it went until his retaliation had gotten so frenzied and violent that no one was willing to deliberately chance his wrath.

From then on the taunts were lessened and the abuse almost stopped. The odd 'freak' loudly whispered as he passed, an occasional slap to the back of the head when it was impossible to determine who out of a dozen. But, generally he was left alone… and that was how he liked it.

Jobs and relationships, none lasted and all were left either puzzled or saddened or angry. For him it was another question, 'what did they want that he could not give?' And so it went.

He had gradually developed a system to take menial jobs as and when to fill his account as much as possible, before heading off again in search of… what?

His thoughts were shaken back to the present by the stamping of feet and the general busy-ness of bedtime preparations. It seemed he had been dreaming for hours. His quiet request to be allowed to bed down near the fire had been laughed at, his blush and obvious anger even more.

A hand on his shoulder had caused a jump to a fight stance that had startled them all.

"Hey come on there. Easy lass. No offence was meant by the laughter, we are all bedding down here in the open, but take the cabin"… he waved to a nearby truck with a sleeping alcove behind the seats. " No one will bother ya, you have our word. Sleep easy and we'll see where ya headin' and what may be done in the mornin' eh."

He had after a few minutes accepted the invitation as genuine and after a dark behind bushes toilet break, climbed into the cabin and slept till near dawn.

The first noises of the new day had roused him and he had crept out intending to start the fire and get water boiling. It seemed though that the owner of the truck had beaten him to it. A softly spoken, "Never you mind lassie, go have a pee and coffee will be up in a minute. Then we'll see about where ya's goin'."

And so he had washed his face in the night chilled water from a small tank, re-plaited his hair and relieved himself behind a bush. Feeling slightly revived he returned to hot cup and an unspoken question.

It was perhaps another hour before all were up and about and ready to depart. After failing to get any definite destination they had all decided he would ride with the owner of the truck he'd slept in, getting out when and where it suited.

That had been fine until the questions started not long after they had set out. At first he had refused to answer. The questions became more pointed and more personal. Until finally the driver had stopped in the middle of the back country road.

"Listen you stupid little bitch. I don't care about who you are or where you are not going to. I just don't want to hear about you raped and dead in a ditch somewhere. I don't want that image in my head, do you understand. So just give me an answer to a question, why is everyone your enemy? Most people are kind and good given the chance. But you don't let anyone get even close do you."

He had sat glaring and slowly getting angrier as his passenger just sat glaring back looking to be ready for a fight.

Eventually he had grabbed the hat from the dash and flung it out his window with a yell of rage and frustration. He jumped down and stormed across the front of the truck, grabbed open the passenger door and pulled the still silent passenger out and dumped her on her arse in the dust beside the road. When she still made no sound but simply glared at him, he reached in grabbed her bag strap and flung it backwards over his shoulder.

"You stupid little cow. I hope you get your head on straight before some lowlife kicks it in. But what little I've seen of you I doubt it. Grow up before you lose the chance."

With that his anger seemed to fade and he simply stood looking at her sitting where she been dropped. When after a few minutes there was no response save a sullen glare he yelled again in an inarticulate mixture of frustration and muted anger. Raising both arms above his head fists clenched he had stared into the sky for a moment before his arms lowered slowly and he stood again, just looking. Still there was nothing but a stubborn stare. With a soft guttural grunt he had turned and rounded his truck, climbed up and slamming the door hard, headed away with a slight crunch of gears.

It was he guessed mid morning and the heat was well up. He had been walking for a few hours he supposed and had almost emptied one of his water bottles. Another car had just driven past with no hint of stopping…

This took slightly longer than the first bit. I don't think there will be any more.

Any thoughts, comments or questions
I can be contacted [email protected]
Anything short of abuse welcome.

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's better

joannebarbarella's picture

You've filled in a few of the blank squares and at least made me feel better about why he/she might be left in the middle of nowhere. A touch of "Priscilla" even though the atmosphere is totally different? No,I'm sorry,that's not right. Fingers in gear, brain left behind. The outback is not a good place to be different. Fill it out a bit more if you feel like it. Otherwise it's a good teaser.

Stand Alone

I'm not sure why you would quit.

This is another great stand-alone chapter. It could easily serve as a complete piece in itself.

So many who write for BC slap a chapter break whenever they run out of steam, or when they reach 3,000 words, or when the sky darkens.

Your story started with the question, why did he get ejected from the truck? Once you answered that question the chapter ended, as it should have.

You've created an interesting character with a problem that needs to be resolved. You've shown us that problem and have left us wondering how it will be resolved. The context of the desolate outback serves to heighten our awareness of his distraught soul.

You might have the woman come back and offer to buy him breakfast, if he will listen to her story. She has a problem that will move the protaginist out of his current unsatisfactory life into an adventure that will -- in the end -- resolve his issues.

My request would be that you NOT write it as a serial. You're so busy helping people the weight of a serial would be enormous, while a novel could be written when you feel the need, have the energy, and are free to do it.

Or, you can allow these two beautiful pieces to stand as they are.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Both parts are beautiful ...

... and as Angela says, can stand alone quite well.

But you've created an interesting character and placed him in a setting so perfect for his internal conflict that his story begs to be continued. Can he be coaxed out of his self-imposed isolation by events that force him to reconnect with humanity? Can he actually find someone who can show him that there are some people who can be trusted -- someone you can let yourself care about without fear of abuse?

This is novel material, all right -- publication level, too. You've set a tone, you paint character and setting with a few strokes of the brush that leave us embedded in the scene. He's on a spiritual quest as well as a physical journey, and I for one would love to see more.

No pressure, though, hon. Really. *wicked grin*

Much love,

Randa

Very Good, Upside down side of the world person

Kristina, I wish I'd wrote this.

I can see this as standalone piece or part of a series of connected vinnettes. A series of related stories but not the usual serial.

Why is he so androgenous that as a child they picked on him? The truckers all saw him as a girl. He is small for a man and he did up his hair like a girl might. It seems to me the Outback is a metaphore/parallel for his/her life. Both are bleak, desolate, lonely.

Is he really a she? Is he neither or both? I thought he was in transition but the gender confusion goes way back to before peiberty if I read it right. Other posiblities exist but whatever, this is a child/now young adult who has lost their way and needs help.

Great stuff. Get back to it if the muse wills.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Does it have to?

Does it all have to end happily ever after? As Angela says, these two stand on their own, with unanswered questions. I could almost feel the dust of the desert, the desperation, the awful history that makes someone shut themselves off from society and the impatience of the other players in the story.

Such writing as this is to be savoured like a long, lingering meal, and draws a stark picture of the dilemma facing many as their identity does not compute or fit into the tiny slot that is 'normal'. As is often the case, now and throughout history, such misfits have been vilified, beaten or killed. Sadly the world is unlikely to change enough to accommodate difference. Nature celebrates diversity but human nature often struggles and often fails.

Again, very well written.

Susie

Happily ever after?

"Can he be coaxed out of his self-imposed isolation by events that force him to reconnect with humanity? Can he actually find someone who can show him that there are some people who can be trusted -- someone you can let yourself care about without fear of abuse?"

The answer could be no, Susan, and still be a story worth telling. But as always, it's the journey that is the reward. *smile*

Randalynn

another haunting vignette

Kristina,
Another hauntingly beautiful piece! I am thinking people are commenting on the stories because they make them examine their own lives and existence, something people are not used to doing. This is just my opinion, but it has given me pause to think about life in general. Whether to continue or not is something you, as the author, willl ultimately decide. Take care,
Diana

Still Want To See More

Love the character, and the atmosphere. Maybe it's the aura of dusty Australian desert, and the ethos of those who inhabit it, or maybe something else.

I'd still be interested to see what happens when our friend arrives in town. I just love the way you handle the internal dialog and the sullen interactions.

Escape

from his past. Will he find a friend or is he doomed to die alone. Is he a native Australian or colonist from elsewhere?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Empty

I think I agree with John. When you describe the emptiness and desolation I wonder if you aren't speaking instead of your character's heart and soul. Someone who traveling looking for some reason to continue with the prospect of hope and happiness a forlorn dream. Very nicely written and emotionally moving story Kristina!
Hugs!
grover

All the lonely people:

The allegories come hot and heavy. Once long ago you dismissed a piece of your writing because it had been written quickly; I hope you see it is not always the time that makes the piece. They are often attached, or come, from the soul, or a universal soul.

Maybe all that stuff attached to the first part (earlier posted part) is not so disconnected from the tale. Loneliness, desolation, attachment and fear. The desire to help, and the arrogant - harmful - reactions when the help isn't embraced. It is all here, I think. I hope you are hanging on to that channel to that empty soul without entering it, Kristina.

Then again, maybe I'm totally out to lunch.

Jan

A great start

Not to make light of your story I see a certain similiarity to Pat from saturday night live.Is it a boy or a girl?Situations and actions that would allow you to assume one gender but never enough to be certain and then along comes something to assume the other gender but again not enough to be certain and so on.You have done a very good job and your style gets an A+ from me.Thanks for your work Amy.

thanks to all...

kristina l s's picture

.. that have commented. This is a funny one. Do I break rules? Perhaps I do. I may know some, sort of unconsciously, but I don't really think about them. Just a way to go at it. I guess I grow them and they shoot and sprout sometimes in unexpected directions. Usually I have far more background and knowledge of the story in my head than ever makes it to screen. But in this case I'm flying blind. The initial idea sort of bubbles up... and then I put myself in there and go with it. Bits of life and observation, sometimes altered slightly to fit and blended to the tale at hand. Every conversation is real because I've had it, in a sense. The first part was pretty simple, the second I was much less sure of... now I may try to do an 'after' to round it off. Trilogy...whoooee, sounds ever so grand don't it. I started out knowing who 'he' was, now I'm not so sure.

Being back to the working week it may take a bit longer, if I can do it at all...we shall see. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for the interest.

Kristina

desolate country

laika's picture

These really are some lonely roads. Two lane blacktop leading out to smaller and smaller towns, no water table to speak of, the makeshift truck stop more like a bedoin camp than the florescent buzz of a U.S. truck stop (Big Al's Super 76: Gas! Coffee! Restrooms! Jackalope postcards!); Makes my state's Hiway 50 ("the loneliest road in America") seem like Grand Central Station. A bad place to appear standoffish and haunted. Great protragonist with an odd sort of integrity, and evidently with reasons not to trust people. I love the mystery, the abiguity surrounding this person, the lack of even a name......and now I see you've continued this saga. I wasn't gonna prompt you to do so but I'm glad.

" This took slightly longer

" This took slightly longer than the first bit. I don't think there will be any more. "

What is this?

You're writing one of the best pieces I've seen here.
So what if it take some time, it's very very good.
Don't give up on it.

I like it a lot.

yoron.