Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 57

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad & A.Christie.
Heinz 57.

The car had stopped, which was just as well because it would have run into Simon's Volvo, if it hadn't. I glanced at Stella, "Can't I just go home?"

"Certainly not, I spoke to Simon while you were snoozing and he agreed that I should bring you here."

"Look I'm not really into company at the moment, so I'd be better off at home."

"You've had a very difficult day and I think you need to have people near should you feel upset."

"Does that mean I have to talk to Simon?"

"Only if you want to, he'll understand because he's so used to being ignored by pretty women."

"Why, he's such a lovely man."

"If you don't stay I shall tell him you said that and he'll never leave you alone."

"I'll tell him you lied to him."

"Damn, he'd probably believe that," she looked pensive for a moment, "Shall we call a truce?"

"Fine with me. He doesn't deserve the treatment you give him, you know."

"I know, but he is my only brother, so I have to keep his confidence up."

I nearly choked, was she joking or not? It didn't actually sound like it but I'm sure it was a quip made to make me think, which considering my mental processes at this minute, could be seen as unkind.

"Come on, let's get a cuppa," she said slipping out of the car. I sighed and with reluctant effort followed her.

"Hello Cathy, how did the funeral go?" asked Simon holding up a bottle of wine and shrugging.

"I'd prefer a cuppa, thanks. It went, I was in a sort of trance so I can't really say much, Stella may know more."

"She was a big, brave girl who helped her father through a difficult afternoon."

I wondered if Stella had been at the same funeral, because my recollection was a bit different, well okay very different. However, I felt too fragile to challenge it and she may have been exaggerating for Simon's sake, after all he didn't know as much about me as she did.

I had a couple of mugs of tea and perhaps it rehydrated me or did something similar because I began to recover my energy and emotional balance. There were loads of thoughts buzzing around my brain like an angry swarm of bees, but I seemed able to let them tire themselves, whilst I enjoyed the company of my hosts.

Enjoyed was the right description, because I really did feel comfortable in the company of these siblings. At times it was funny and I'd laugh out loud, at others, I wince at the razor sharp comments they'd make at each other. Yet I knew they genuinely loved each other, as much as any other brother and sister I'd ever known.

Simon was so long suffering, he'd got the dinner on by the time we got there and she criticized him for forgetting to take something out of the freezer. I withdrew to a safe distance, not wishing to get involved. Simon just let it fly over his head, ignoring it.

A little later he asked her how many traffic offences she'd committed going to Bristol. I'd lost count after twenty, but I kept it to myself. She simply accused him of being the one responsible, he'd apparently taught her to drive.

"No I didn't, I went out with you a few times to give you some practice," he protested, "but it was the Kamikaze School of Motoring who got you through your test. Personally, I think they only passed you because you frightened the examiner so much he thought if he failed you, he might have to repeat the test and might not survive it twice."

"You mean toad, I passed it first time," she complained.

"I rest my case," he said winking at me.

"Sounds convincing to me," I said winking back at Simon.

"You pair of rats," she accused, "you can do the dishes, I'm off to watch telly."

"Goodness, I won an argument with Stella, you must come more often."

"I keep telling her to marry you," sniped Stella as she wandered through the dining room to get the paper. I blushed and I suspect Simon did as well. "Has he proposed yet?" she fired at us on her way back waving the Radio Times.

"No he has not, nor would I expect him to!" I glared at Stella, but she merely poked her tongue out at me.

"I think I'd like to get to know you better first," remarked Simon, which almost caused me a fit of apoplexy.

"I don't know if I'm the marrying kind, Simon." I tried to pour cold water on this discussion.

"Oh I think the right proposal, coached with the right words and at the right time."

"How did your day go?" I asked him and with great sublety switched the conversation.

"Much the same as most others, I made my bank about ten million before lunch and lost half of it by tea time. They were still five mil up so they won't complain."

"Oh," I said looking at him until he noticed and I looked away. Well how was I supposed to know it meant I found him attractive, I know more about dormice than men.

"How is the dissertation coming on?" he asked me.

"It isn't, I've been too busy with other things."

"Would having a car help?"

"Not unless it can type," I replied drily.

"Ha ha, that's quite good," he laughed far more than the pun was worth but I ignored him, he was probably just being polite.

"It just that I have the chance of a little runabout for a song."

"It wouldn't really help, my bike is fine for around town and there's always the buses. Besides I could never repay you nor afford the running costs."

"Who said you'd have to?" he looked puzzled.

"What, I couldn't accept that." I felt myself get very hot.

"Why not, it would mean you could come and see Stella and me as often as you wanted, besides you could also nip up to Bristol to see your dad."

"No I couldn't, it wouldn't be fair."

"Fair to whom?"

"To you," I was blushing like a heat lamp. "I'm going to need to go home tomorrow to change for the dance."

"See if you had a car, that wouldn't have been an issue."

"If Stella had taken me home in the first place it wouldn't have been a problem either, instead she kidnapped me and brought me here."

"Yes we do a good line in white slavery, but now you know about it we may have to kill you."

"Can I get my bike back first?"

"Oh all right then." He smiled at me and my stomach flipped at the same time I felt sick because once he found out the truth, he'd drop me like a stone. Part of me felt I should be used to it by now, it had happened all my life.

"Don't get too close to me Simon, I'm bad news." I said quietly before I got up and ran up to my bedroom and locked the door.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bad News

Well! That's just a very mysterious comment, "I'm bad news," which is certain to make Simon even more interested. This doesn't exactly thicken the plot, but that's coming soon, I'm guessing!

still dont know

Is it just me, did i miss somthing, or do we not know what happend to take mom away?, this story has taken my attention lol, i just have to know. Please keep up the good work.

The Answer

Read chapter 44.

Didn't help

We know she died. Why did she die? What happened?

Have you thought about

Have you thought about renumbering the chapters? They seem to be one less or more when you get to the end of each. Just a thought. Janice

A guy's opinion

I think Simon has an idea, and is fine with it. He and Stella are too close for secrets.
Of course 2600 chapters to go.
Kevin