Somewhere Else Entirely -70-

Printer-friendly version

There is momentary surprise as Garia and Keren discover the interest the townspeople have in the trial of Trogan and his men - but considering their reign of terror that is not so unusual. Space for a court is quickly found and arrangements made to accommodate the crowd. Then the questioning begins. Will they learn anything more from the captured men?

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

70 - Day of Judgement


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"What the..?"

Keren ground to a halt as he led the way into the common room of the Bell Inn. The place was crowded, unexpectedly so since their own party were the only ones lodging there.

"Ah, Highness, Milady, good morning."

"Mistress Yanda. What's all this?"

"I imagine they are all here for the trial, Highness. Do not worry, you shall be served breakfast, we would never leave our guests to go hungry. Your men have kept your usual table for you."

"Uh, thank you, Mistress Yanda."

Keren led the way to their regular table and the group took their usual seats. The others in the common room had bowed and curtseyed as they passed but this was no longer anything unexpected.

Funny how one adapts so quickly to the local customs, Garia thought. It even seems normal to have two of my armsmen stood against the wall.

Merizel leaned in and said in a low voice, "Are all these people here for the trials? I never expected this interest."

"We should not be surprised, Merry," Keren replied, "not in... so isolated a town. Naturally, any event like this is bound to be of interest to all, especially since Trogan and his men have affected so many."

"I can understand that," Garia said, thinking of small town politics back in the US. "What are we going to do, Keren? We can't hold the trial in the Claw if there are as many people outside as are waiting in here."

He smiled at her. "We'll have to be creative, then. You have taught me how to look at situations with a different eye, perhaps we can find some other place large enough."

"I don't think there is any, Keren. From what I remember of our walk through the town, the Ptuvil's Claw is the biggest building here." She thought. "This is a special circumstance, isn't it? There's no law which says we have to hold it in any particular place, is there?"

Keren shook his head. "Not that I am aware of." He considered. "Actually, what we are about to do is to hold a session of your baronial court in the town. The fact that it is only going to be for the trial of those we caught is incidental."

"My court? Yes... I guess you are right. I never thought of it that way. In Kansas, a court is where criminals go to be dealt with or for lawyers to argue out some dispute. I never thought about the origin of the word which must go right back to our own days when we had nobles and such."

Keren frowned. "I though you never had nobles?"

"Technically, no. My country, the whole thing, that is, not just the State of Kansas, started out as a number of colonies from another country way across the ocean. That country had a medieval past which ran, thinking about it, pretty much the way you do here." She nodded. "Funny how words get re-used."

"Interesting. You've told me a little of your history but it sounds even more interesting than I thought." He smiled again. "You'll have to tell me more when we have some free time."

Both Garia and Merizel snorted.

"Free time," chuckled Merizel. "I like that, Highness. Which year did you say that would be?"

Keren grinned back. "I forget, ladies. What was I thinking? Free time, indeed." He looked up. "Here is the pel, some fresh bread and bowls of porridge to sustain us through the morning. Perhaps afterward we can find Jaxen and see if he has any ideas."

"We might end up having it in the street," Garia said, reaching for a mug. "Assuming the weather holds out."

Breakfast over they made for the front door to find that Garia had been right. The street outside had far too many people innocently standing or strolling about to be considered normal. All stopped and bowed or curtseyed as they appeared. Keren decided that an announcement was necessary to keep everyone calm.

"People of Blackstone! If you will give us leave to go to the Ptuvil's Claw and consult, we shall make an announcement concerning the trial presently. We have had no chance to make any arrangement, we must do so now."

There was a murmuring and more bowing and scraping but everyone seemed content to let them carry on, so Keren led them across the street and in the front door of the Claw. The men who were still in the common room all jumped to their feet and saluted. Jaxen came forward and bowed.

"Highness, Milady, what are your wishes today?"

"We have to try those men we caught, Jaxen," Keren explained. "Unfortunately, everyone in town has invited themselves to view the proceedings. Are we right in assuming this is the biggest building in town?"

"Aye, Highness." Jaxen turned to survey the room. "I take it you had intended to use this room for your court?"

"Milady's court, you mean. Aye, we did. But this will not do. Have you seen the crowds outside? Unless we can find another place mayhap we will end up in the street."

Jaxen scratched his chin thoughtfully. "With so many who wish to view the proceedings - and I cannot blame any of them for wishing to do so - I fear you may have no option, Highness. Unless, perhaps..." Jaxen turned and stared at the rear entrance to the common room. "Have you considered our own courtyard, Highness? It may not fit all but it may satisfy most."

Keren nodded. "Let us look, it can do no harm."

They went out onto the covered walkway which ran around the front, right side and rear of the courtyard, the fourth side being the stables.

"It is big, isn't it?"

"Aye, Highness. I discovered we could easily turn the wagons when we arrived. If you set yourselves up there, perhaps," he pointed at the right-hand side, which held the inn-keeper's quarters downstairs and the women's sleeping quarters upstairs, "then some may even use the balcony over the stables yonder."

"Done. But how will we be seen? Have we time to erect a stage or some other platform?"

Jaxen grinned. "Leave that to me, Highness. We cannot use the kitchen wagon but we have three others to choose from. If we unload two completely there is a way to use them that is often done at fairs and country markets. Leave it to me and the boys."

"How long?" Garia asked.

Jaxen estimated. "It will not take long, milady. You should be able to convene your court at about the third bell."

"Excellent, Jaxen. Carry on. We will go and inform the townspeople and then perhaps, while we have time, we will have a talk with the man Sethan."

Jaxen bowed. "As you command, milady."

He strode away toward the stables, shouting orders which brought people running from all parts of the building. Garia stared in amazement as most of those who appeared seemed to be locals. Sukhana came out of the doorway of the kitchen, saw them and strode across.

"Highness, Milady, welcome." She curtseyed. "What is all this fuss? You have Jaxen running around like a fevered lab."

"Mistress Sukhana," Keren greeted her. "We intend to use the courtyard today for our trial since so many of the townspeople wish to see justice done."

Sukhana's eyes widened. "They are all coming in here? Maker! Shall they need food or drink? I cannot provide for so many, Highness."

Keren soothed her. "No, Sookie, I don't think you'll be feeding any of them, but I suggest you find a few fellows to stand guard at doorways and stairs you would rather keep them away from. Jaxen suggested that some of the crowd may see better from the balcony there," he pointed over the stables before adding, "How are you managing at your self-appointed task?"

Sukhana flushed. "I have made a start, Highness, Milady. I have had help from many in the town and we now have stable boys, chamber maids, waiting staff and even help in the kitchen. There have been donations of benches, chairs, tables and the means of eating and drinking but we still lack beds and bedchamber furniture. The bath house is now clean and working and I can report the water is wondrously hot and plentiful."

"That sounds like a good start," Garia said. "How soon are we expected to begin paying for any of this?"

"Paying for it, milady? The townspeople see this as their duty to their liege. I do not think they will accept coin from you, especially after you gifted them the treasure which Trogan stole."

Garia realized that her mouth was open. "What? I can't accept that, it isn't right. You must pay for the food you use, surely, and your staff will have families to look after at the very least."

Sukhana looked at Garia strangely but Keren intervened.

"Garia, this is how the system works in places like this. You are doing your part by looking after these people and they in turn will look after you and yours. Sookie, our way of life is completely unlike that which Milady Garia is used to in her home land of Kansas. She is finding some of our customs, especially those of the country, difficult to adjust to."

"As you say, Highness. If you will excuse me, Highness, Milady, I had best be making sure no-one disturbs anything while your court sits."

Sukhana bobbed and headed for the kitchen. Keren turned to Garia.

"I think I understand your difficulty, Garia. In your world, as I understand it, every man and woman works for coin and no reason else, is that so?"

"We call it compensation," Garia said. "This way seems so alien to me."

"Not so alien. The people here merely take their compensation in safety and security, Garia. You give them a safe, prosperous place to live and they in turn will ensure that you are free to keep it that way for them."

Garia shook her head. "I really don't understand, Keren. Perhaps I need to sit down and weigh up who gets what out of a contract like this before I make any judgements. Somehow this just seems wrong."

"Perhaps. Perhaps there is some injustice here we have overlooked. The running of a barony, after all, may be a complex business but not all nobles take sufficient care to ensure their people are justly provided for. That's not important now, we have not the time and we would be better out of Jaxen's way. Shall we go and speak with our villains?"

They walked along the covered way and out of the carriage entrance, meeting Brydas as they reached the street. The smith bowed to them.

"Master Brydas! You have a bigger voice than any of us, shall you inform your fellows that the trial will take place at the third bell, in the courtyard behind us?"

"With pleasure, Highness! And shall you require my assistance, or that of any others of the assembly? We are all nearby, that is, those of us who retain our health."

Keren smiled. "I might have known. Aye, if you will join us we will be glad to make use of your experience. We are already expecting to use the knowledge Master Jepp has gained during his days in Teldor."

Brydas bowed. "Of course, Highness. At the third bell? We shall be there." He raised an eyebrow. "If I am not delving in matters that may not concern me, you have an errand?"

"Aye. Perhaps you would care to join us, Brydas. Milady Garia wishes to interview the man Sethan."

"I will inform Jepp, who I see yonder, of the plan and join you at the watch office, Highness."

Brydas walked into the growing crowd as Keren, Garia, Merizel and Jenet continued toward the Watch Office. Garia still had difficulty trying not to refer to it as the 'Sheriff's Office'. The two guards standing outside bowed and opened the door for them. A third man, seated at the table in the front office, leapt to his feet and thumped his chest.

"Rest easy, Stott. We'll be putting these men on trial in the courtyard of the Ptuvil's Claw beginning from the third bell. Be prepared to move the prisoners out under escort when we call for them."

"Aye, Highness."

"One at a time, that will be," Garia amended.

"Pardon, Garia?"

"I think..." she lowered her voice, "I think I want to try them one at a time," she explained. "That way they won't be able to make up alibis by listening to each other. If we deal with the small fry first -"

"Small fry?"

"Uh, we're talking tiny fish here, Keren. Let's start with Sethan, then the other thugs and that will let us find out enough about Trogan to seal his fate." She glanced at Keren. "That's all right, isn't it? There's only four of them, it shouldn't take us too long to try them one by one."

Keren shrugged. "You may proceed any way you desire, Garia. This is your court, after all. I think I like your idea, though. Customarily all the criminals would be brought in together but, as you say, that allows them to agree a story. Let's try it your way today."

Sethan was brought out and his hands secured behind him with a leather strap. He looked frightened.

"Where shall we do this, Garia?" Keren asked. "This office is too public."

"I thought to use the messenger office."

"Good idea. Lead the way."

They walked along the sidewalk, Sethan in the middle of the group, with the crowd murmuring in the street beside them. Garia thought that they didn't sound too angry to see Sethan, which seemed to confirm an impression she had gained when they first encountered him. In the office Sethan was placed on the only chair and Keren and Garia leaned against the desk. Almost immediately Brydas joined them, shutting the door to keep the noise out.

"Sethan," Garia began. "When we first met you told us you would throw yourself on our mercy if you co-operated with us. I'll expect you to keep to your side of the bargain. Now, tell us, how did you meet Trogan?"

Sethan stared at Garia, his face pale. He licked his lips.

"Milady, is this the trial? Am I treating for my life in this place?"

"Not yet, Sethan," Keren said. "As you have seen by the crowds outside there is a fair amount of interest in the trial of you and your fellows. Regrettably for you you shall have to face those you committed crimes against. Before we properly begin the trial Milady Garia wished to find out what you knew. It may have a bearing on your fate, should you tell us all you know."

"As you say, Highness. Um, well, it's like this. Me and my cousin Narrin was sleeping in that camp-site along the road because we had nowhere else to go. See, we was farm laborers but we wasn't any good at anything much and we ended up going from farm to farm looking for somewhere to work. Only, I confess we sometimes had to feed ourselves from the farm stock without asking the farmer, if you know what I mean?"

Keren nodded, then remembered Garia was supposed to be asking the questions. He looked at her and she took over.

"You stole, is that what you mean?"

Sethan lowered his eyes. "Aye, milady. It were either that or go hungry, like, and you can only go hungry so many days before you aren't strong enough to work, see, so... We moved on and we moved on and pretty soon we couldn't stay anywhere around Tranidor so we thought to come out this way, thought maybe we could make a fresh start out here where nobody knew us. Only, neither of us can read so we didn't know where we were going, not really. We didn't know Blackstone was so far from Tranidor, neither, so we ended up at that campsite trying to forage food from the forest while we wondered if we would starve before we got to the next village or town. Then Master Trogan found us."

"He was traveling the road, I take it? Which way?"

"Toward Blackstone, milady."

"How many men did he have with him then?"

"Uh." Sethan looked confused. "I dunno, milady. I can't do numbers. Let's see. Um, Brakkis, Bildo, Vordan, Fret, uh, Kasmar, Bildo." He frowned with concentration. "Is that it? No, I forgot one. Juddas, milady. No! There was Pexen as well."

Garia looked at Merizel, who was writing down the names on a scrap of parchment, watched with interest by Brydas.

"I make that seven, Garia," she said. "He named Bildo twice."

"Is that right?" Garia asked the man. "There weren't two called Bildo, were there?"

"Uh, no, milady."

"So, with you and your cousin, together with Trogan, that makes ten, right?"

"If you say so, milady. As I said, I can't do numbers at all." He shrugged. "Not without using my fingers."

"We can do that for you, Sethan. So, what happened when Trogan came along?"

"Uh, his men were going to spit us with their swords but he stopped them, milady. Asked us what we were doing there and when we told him he said he could use a couple of extra men. Said he was a Tax Assessor and we'd be needed to make sure the people paid up, like. And he had all those frayen so he needed someone who knew how to look after them, so we agreed terms and joined him."

"All those frayen?" Keren asked, curious.

"Aye, Highness. Each man rode a frayen and there were five extras. Three had packs but two had saddles. I thought they must be remounts though usually you move the saddle when you have remounts, don't you? I didn't know, I thought maybe a Tax Assessor could afford extra saddles."

"As you say," Garia took up the questioning. "So, what happened when you arrived at Blackstone?"

"We stayed at the Bell Inn one night then Master Trogan somehow had us all invited to sleep in the Steward's house. I don't know what he said but it was something like he had to go through the accounts or something. After a few days he started going round the town asking for tax money. Then he sent us out in fours to get taxes out of the nearer farms. Then... how much more do you want, milady?"

"How did Trogan end up imprisoning people?"

"I'm not sure, milady. Me and Narrin were out the back feeding the frayen when there was a furious row inside the house one morning. Later at lunch he told us he'd found something wrong with the steward's accounts and had to hold him until the Lord Gilbanar came to sort it out. Next it was the Messenger Agent who wouldn't hand over any of the steward's letters, milady. Anyone knows you can't touch the mail but I thought that only applied while it was being carried. If he had taken over the steward's job, like, he'd have to read the mail, wouldn't he?"

Garia and Keren both nodded. She said, "I'm beginning to understand what happened now. Did you or your cousin personally abuse anybody when you demanded taxes from them?"

"Well, not exactly, milady. We was told to look like we knew what we was doing but we had to remember we was supposed to be collecting legal tax so we couldn't act like robbers. We just used to look menacing and put our hands on our sword hilts."

"Did any of the others offer violence, do you know?" Keren asked.

Sethan looked away. "Aye, Highness. I was with a collection party and they beat up one of the carpenter's journeymen because he wouldn't pay up. I wasn't proud of that."

"What about the two girls?" Garia asked. "Did you know what happened to them?"

"Master Trogan had shut up the owner of the Bell Inn because he kept complaining the master was taking too much tax and the inn-keeper's wife Mistress Yanda just took up in his place, so Master Trogan shut his daughter up as well to keep her quiet. He did the same with the smith's daughter, begging your pardon, Master Brydas, because the town assembly was beginning to be concerned with the way things were going."

"But... did you know that both girls had been repeatedly raped once they were kept in the cells?"

Sethan looked up sharply, shock and horror in his eyes.

"Milady, I swear, I did not. I don't think Narrin would have known either. Despite we was doing his work, Master Trogan and his men treated us as outsiders or mere servants. If they did such a thing we had no word of it."

Keren pressed him. "You're sure? Your life may depend on your answer."

"Highness I shall swear by whatever you desire me to, but if you should believe me, I cannot say."

Keren nodded, frustrated. "As you say. Garia, have you heard enough?"

"Almost, I think. Who was with you in the Ptuvil's Claw, who got away with your frayen?"

"Uh, that would be Vordan and Kasmar, milady. I never liked Vordan and I don't think he liked me or my cousin. Uh, milady, what happened to Narrin? Did he run away as well?"

"I don't know, Sethan. You have told us the names of the only two we know escaped, and there are three others in the cells with you. There are four dead, three were killed in the fight when we arrived and the last fell off a roof about the time we captured you."

"Ah, would that last have been at the top of town, beyond where the smith lives, milady?"

Brydas stirred. "Aye, Sethan, it was. He was your cousin then?"

"He'd gone out to find the saddler the day before, get a strap fixed." He shrugged, as much as he could with his hands tied. "Stupid way to die." He looked up at Garia. "Milady, what happens now?"

"Why, we take you with us and try you," she said. "If you have truly told us what happened, and those in the crowd confirm your story, I do not think you need fear death. Keren?"

Garia turned to Keren for confirmation.

"I wouldn't condemn a man over what he has told us so far, Garia. Sethan, your life is safe, I think, providing you have told us the truth, but you must needs pay something of the bill."

"Highness, I know it. I am at your mercy."

It was necessary to keep Sethan separate so they found a guard who could remain with him in the Messenger Office. The rest went back out onto the street where they found that the crowd had lessened since their original walk. This was because most were now waiting patiently to file through the carriage entrance of the Claw to get into the courtyard.

"Jenet, what time is it?"

"I know not, milady. I do not know the bells of Blackstone."

"It is but a half between two bells and three, milady," Brydas said. "Opposite the camp site is a Town Clock, minded by a family who have done so for generations. They wind up the weights, attend the pendulum and mark the time by ringing a bell. The sound is not the same as that of other bells I have heard, it takes a week or two for the ear to become accustomed."

"As you say. Keren, looks like we'll have to go around the crowd and in the front door."

Inside the common room Garia found that the recently-added furniture had all been stripped out. As they came out the rear entrance the reason became evident. Most of the courtyard had been set out with benches and tables, most from the Claw but so many that she thought the Bell might have been stripped out as well.

To their right two wagons were placed back to back. Both had been completely stripped down to the bare boards, the contents presumably piled somewhere within the stables out of the way. The two tailboards had been dropped horizontal and supported by spars lashed between the two wagons, making a continuous platform. The sides facing the crowd had been dropped completely while those facing the building were still fixed in place, providing protection for those who would stand on the wagon beds. Where the tailboards projected between the wagons the portable steps which usually leaned against the backs of the wagons allowed people to climb up from the walkway alongside the courtyard.

The crowd had begun taking seats although most preferred to stand at the rear. Some had gone upstairs to take places on the balcony in front of the servants' quarters to get a better view. Garia noticed that the composition of the crowd was different today than yesterday. When they had appeared on the front balcony of the Claw the crowd had been entirely mixed with men, women and children in reasonably balanced proportions. Today there were roughly twice as many men as women and there were no children at all.

Jepp saw them and joined them.

"Highness, Milady. I trust this is satisfactory?"

"I have no complaint, Master Jepp," Keren replied. "Milady Garia desires to try each of the men by themselves in order to ensure the trials are fair. Thus, each may not influence what another may say. Shall you guide us through the procedure?"

"A worthy decision, milady, though it may mean the trial will continue into the afternoon. This is acceptable?"

"I guess, Master Jepp," Garia said. "How long do you think this will all take? I mean, how long does a trial usually take?"

Jepp shrugged. "It depends on the crimes, milady. To account all that Trogan has committed may take considerable time." He turned to Merizel. "Milady Merizel, might you share the task of recording the court with me? I would be honored if you could be of assistance."

"Garia?"

"Of course, Merry. Writing all this down could be the slowest part of the proceedings so anything that will help speed it up is a good idea. Yes, go with Jepp and figure out what you both need."

Merizel left with Jepp and the others stood waiting as the courtyard filled with townspeople. Jaxen came in from a rear entrance to the court, saw the group and hurried over.

"Highness, Milady, you see our preparations. The wagons have been unloaded into the stables, and I have placed men at all doorways and stairs. The frayen I have taken from the stables and sent to one of the town paddocks since I felt the noise of the crowd may disturb them too much. Oh, and that includes the six frayen that were kept behind the Steward's house." He grinned. "Mistress Sukhana complains about the extra noise and fuss the court makes but she would complain when the sun rose if she could."

"Six frayen?" Garia said thoughtfully. "I had forgotten those." She smiled. "It so happens at least three of those have lost their riders and I suspect the other three won't have riders either by the time we have finished. Suppose we gift one of them to Sookie? Would that improve her mood?"

Jaxen grinned broadly. "I didn't think of that, milady. Aye, I think she will be much improved by your suggestion. I'll go and tell her now."

Jaxen bowed to them and made off across the court, skirting the chairs and benches to reach the kitchen and disappear within. Eventually all who could squeeze in had done so and the murmur of small talk gradually died away. Finally a bell could be heard in the distance and the whole court became silent, waiting for the proceedings to start.

This is a test! All my fine talk on the balcony yesterday was one thing but this is me, me, actually doing my job. This is where they find out if I can cut the mustard.

And I have very little clue how this trial works. I just hope everybody allows me a goof or two along the way.

"Milady, it is time for us to begin." That was Brydas, gesturing to the ladder behind the wagons. "If you would permit me, as leader of the town assembly, to announce you."

"You know how these things are supposed to work, Master Brydas. Go ahead."

Brydas climbed onto the platform and faced the crowd.

"This is the court of Milady Garia, Baroness of Blackstone, and the first she holds in her own demesne. Rise and show respect for your liege."

The whole crowd stood and bowed or curtseyed. While they remained standing Brydas beckoned.

"Highness, Milady, take your places."

Keren climbed up first, followed by Garia, then Jepp, Merizel and finally Jenet. Jepp and Merizel took positions on one of the wagoneers' benches, each carried a satchel. Jepp began putting the contents of his satchel out on the bench between them. Brydas indicated a bench to one side to Keren and Garia. Garia sat while Keren remained standing. He spoke to the crowd.

"People of Blackstone, please sit if you are able." Once those with seats had sat down again he continued, "This is Milady Garia's court, not mine. My business here is to offer advice and support since Milady Garia is unfamiliar with the customs of court as she explained to you yesterday. Our purpose here today is to try those who we have captured in accordance with the laws of Palarand. Each man will be tried separately, in order to give every man a fair trial untainted by the words of his fellows. This means that the trials may take all day and possibly longer. I ask your patience during the proceedings. We may call for those among you who these men have wronged to come and testify." He turned to Garia. "Milady, we are at your command."

Garia spoke to Brydas. "Master Smith, bring the first of the accused."

Sethan was brought in by two guardsmen in palace colors and helped up the steps onto the platform. He was made to sit on the bench on the other side with a guardsman each side of him.

"This man is named Sethan. He is associated with the principal accused named Trogan," Brydas announced. "Who here accuses this man?"

There was a murmur in the crowd, people looking at one another in confusion. Finally four people near the front stood up. Brydas questioned them briefly and received answers based on appropriation of food accompanied by threats. He turned to Garia and shrugged.

Garia said, "This will not work, Master Brydas. I suggest we will learn more by asking Sethan to tell his story."

"As you command, milady."

Sethan was made to go through his story again as he had told it before, with additional questioning by Brydas, Garia and Jepp. The muttering in the crowd grew as they realized that Sethan and his cousin had been only bit players in what had happened. Finally Garia called a halt to the questions.

"I have heard enough to convince me here. Does anybody in the court wish to make some other accusation against Sethan? From what he has said he only did what he was told by someone who he believed had authority to order him so."

There was silence from the crowd.

She continued, "Master Jepp has stated that Sethan has broken some minor laws and that he is also liable for certain crimes he has admitted committing elsewhere. He has admitted his guilt to these crimes. Master Jepp, what penalty should he pay?"

"Milady, I suggest he should be branded criminal in the usual way and made to serve a year's labor for the benefit of the town. As his crimes are not such that he would anger the townspeople by remaining here I would not suggest he requires transportation to some other place."

Garia was surprised. "This is the customary sentence for what he has done?"

"Aye, milady."

"Then... it is so ordered."

Sethan stood, surprising his guards, turning to Garia before awkwardly kneeling and bowing his head.

"Milady, I thank you for your clemency."

"Rise, Sethan, and let us hope that the rest of your life will turn out better than what has happened to you so far."

He was helped down the steps by the guards. Garia, Keren and Brydas held a hurried discussion about what to do with him before deciding to put him, with a guard, in one of the upstairs rooms of the Claw, away from sight and sound of the courtyard. The guards were ordered to bring out the next prisoner. While they were waiting Garia had another thought and went into a quick huddle with Keren, Jepp and Brydas.

"Master Brydas," she said, "We may have a problem. The bad treatment of your daughter and that of Fedren is bound to come out during the trials. Will she be required to testify? That's not the way we would treat a rape victim in Kansas. She'd be kept away and her testimony taken as written evidence or she may be hidden behind a screen or something."

"Milady, that is not our custom in Palarand but I thank you for considering her feelings," Brydas replied. "We have talked about a likely trial and she is prepared to speak against these men if she must. I know that she must needs relive her ordeal and that Trogan, in particular, may attempt to influence her because of that. However, out here in front of all the town he will find that difficult. You control the court, milady, and you may permit or deny any words or actions you desire. He shall not prevail here." He paused, thinking. "Of Fedren's daughter Kasinna I do not know. She may yet be too frail to face your court."

"He speaks rightly, milady," Jepp agreed. "We all know that women of any age may be abused or used by men since they are weaker... excuse me, milady. I know that there may be exceptions. I would be interested to speak with you about other ways in which we can assist women in cases such as these and knowledge of the customs of your birthplace may be of help. But for today we must allow the accused to face the accuser. It has always been so."

"I could argue that," Garia said. "What about a murderer? You can hardly ask a corpse to testify."

Jepp gave a faint smile. "You speak like a legal man, milady. Aye, you are right. But, for today and for these two young ladies, they must appear before the court in order to face the accused."

"Very well. Let's take our places then, because I can see our next accused coming now."

The next man was brought to the steps and hauled roughly up onto the wagons, struggling against the guards all the way. They thumped him down onto the bench and held him there by main force.

"This man is named Juddas," stated Brydas. "Who here accuses him?"

About half the men in the crowd stood up, startling Garia. She stood and joined Brydas.

"All right," she told the crowd. "If we take all your names we shall still be here tomorrow and there are two more to judge. Let's do a quick survey and find out what you are all accusing this man of."

This procedure seemed novel to the crowd but they didn't take long to understand her intent. By asking questions and getting them to raise hands, she found out that Juddas had demanded money with violence, confiscated food, drink, goods and animals without proper authority, committed actual violence against many, damaged property and finally was accused of raping five women including the two girls. Garia took sample statements from several of the crowd to be entered in the record with the names of other victims and numbers of similar offences set against them.

The rape offences were treated differently. In one case nobody had known that one young woman had been attacked since she lived away from the town and hadn't realized that anyone else had been affected. She was prepared to give evidence, though, in front of the crowd.

"You have no proof that I did anything of the kind!" Juddas protested. "You are merely claiming what these others claim, in order to blacken my name."

"I may not have any proof, Juddas," she replied evenly, "yet. But when my child is born, and begins to grow, we shall see if he or she resembles his or her father."

That shook Juddas but he continued blustering until Kasinna appeared beside Fedren. One look at the young girl and he turned his head away, refusing to look at her. Kasinna, in her turn, looked steadfastly at Juddas as she told the crowd exactly how the two girls had been treated once they had been locked up. The crowd had grown silent, now, as they realized the full extent of the nightmare Trogan and his men had brought to Blackstone.

"Do you admit these offences?" Garia asked when Kasinna had finished.

"I cannot deny them," Juddas said, hanging his head.

"Let Kasinna's evidence be admitted to the record against the next two accused as well," she directed. "I will not have her go through that ordeal again."

"As you desire, milady," Jepp said.

Garia turned to Brydas. "What about your daughter, Master Brydas? Do you want her to testify?"

Brydas shook his head. "It is not necessary, milady. We have enough evidence from these others to prove the case. Since Kasinna has spoken, perhaps we should leave Senidet to confront one of the other accused."

Jepp looked up from his documents. "We cannot record any offence by Juddas against Senidet if she does not testify."

"I understand, Master Scribe. Since he must pay the penalty in any event, there is little point."

"Milady?"

"Just make a note, Master Jepp," Garia decided. "We must move on. Juddas, I want to ask you some questions. Where and when did you first meet Trogan?"

"I dunno," the man answered roughly. "It was a long time ago."

"Fair enough," said Garia, who was beginning to have an idea of the limitations of each man by now. "Will you tell me now for the record if Trogan is, in fact, an appointed official?"

Juddas shook, as if with laughter. "No, milady, that he ain't. Not that I ever heard of."

"So, how is it he came to be in Blackstone pretending to be a Tax Assessor, then?"

The demeanor of Juddas changed in an instant. His face stiffened and he looked at the wagon floor.

"I don't rightly know that I can tell you that, milady. You'll have to ask him yourself."

"But you knew, when you all came here, that he was not what he told the townspeople he was."

Juddas only nodded.

"Impersonating a legally-appointed official," Jepp noted. "I'm not sure that's a crime that happens very often in Palarand. I don't think I know the penalty, although I can make a guess. But this man is not guilty of that crime."

"As you say, Master Jepp," Garia agreed. She turned to Juddas. "Can you read, Juddas?"

"No, milady. I can just about make my sign on a document, that's all. I don't know my letters."

"So, if I was to tell you that Trogan will be accused of intercepting and opening letters not addressed to him, would you think he was guilty of that? Did you ever see him open any such letters?"

Juddas sighed. "Aye, milady, I have, though I knew not who they were addressed to. Once he put the Agent in the cells it was clear enough what he was doing."

Keren interrupted. "If I may, milady. Juddas, you have all been in Blackstone some months. When we were traveling here an owner of a roadhouse along the route gave us mails for Blackstone, saying the bags were collected on occasion. Were you ever party to those collection journeys?"

"Aye, Highness. From time to time two or three of us rode into Tranidor for various reasons. We took mail to that road house and collected it from there."

"Because you couldn't take them all the way to Tranidor, or collect them from there, where questions would be asked?"

"You have the right of it, Highness."

"You know the penalty for transporting mails without a letter of authority?"

Juddas sighed again. "Aye, Highness, I do."

Keren turned to Garia. "Milady, this man has confessed to transporting mails without a letter of authority. Your duty is clear."

Bang! Here it is. It has to be my decision, my own voice, that condemns a man to death.

"The laws concerning the Messenger Service are very strict, milady," Jepp added.

I have no choice, do I? This is justice, raw in tooth and claw. Killing somebody in the heat of a fight is one thing, this is sentencing a helpless man to death.

Then she glanced at the front of the crowd where Fedren and Kasinna sat. She realized that carrying a few bags between Tranidor and Blackstone was only a tiny fraction of the evil that this man had committed against these people. Her people. Time to begin putting things right.

"Master Jepp, what is the prescribed penalty for this offense?"

"Death, milady. He is to be hung immediately." Jepp paused, thinking. "In this case, where you will judge others for the same crime, they might all be executed at the same time."

"So be it. Take him away, hold him somewhere safe while we try the others." Garia turned to Brydas. "Have we time before lunch to try another one? I'll leave Trogan until last."

"Aye, milady, we have time, if the next takes no longer than Juddas. If necessary we may delay our meal slightly. Shall he be brought?"

"Yes, please. I want this finished today."

The next man gave no fight to the guards. His right shoulder was swathed in a bandage which had a large, dried bloodstain on it. Garia remembered that one had been brought down by a knife thrown by one of the wagoneers. The man looked pale and uncomfortable.

Brydas announced, "This man is named Brakkis. Who here accuses him?"

A significant number of the crowd, now familiar with the process, raised their hands.

"A moment before we get down to business," Garia said, standing. "What's wrong with him?"

"Milady," one of the guards explained, "he has a shoulder wound from the fight in the street. The wound has become infected."

He's unlikely to live long enough for it to become an issue, she thought.

"Very well. Brakkis," she asked him, "can you answer the questions we wish to put to you? Are you well enough?"

"Aye, milady. I can manage," he replied, his voice shaky.

Garia turned to the crowd and, with the benefit of the questions already asked of Juddas, made up a list of offenses which Jepp wrote down with the names and numbers of accusers. After this it was Senidet, with the assistance of her father, who detailed the several occasions on which most of the men of Trogan's band had shared the two young girls amongst themselves. Then Garia asked some further questions.

"When did you discover that Blackstone had been made a barony?"

"Uh, Master Trogan showed me a letter he had with the proclamation," Brakkis said without thinking. "I didn't see what difference it would make, since the taxes wasn't going anywhere."

"So you can read, then. The letter Trogan showed you, who was it addressed to?"

"The steward, milady. Since the steward had been arrested Master Trogan said that he was the most senior official in the town so he should read those letters addressed to the steward."

"But he wasn't the most senior official in the town, was he? In fact, he isn't an official at all, is he? What happened to the real Tax Assessor, Brakkis? Did you murder him somewhere along the route, perhaps?"

There was a gasp from the crowd as many of them hadn't understood that Trogan had been bogus. There was much muttering and Brydas had to call for silence before Brakkis could reply.

"I cannot answer you, milady."

"You acknowledge that I am, in fact, the real Baroness Blackstone? You can read, I can show you my charter if you like."

"With respect, milady, anyone can have a document saying whatever they wish. Doesn't mean that the person holding the document matches the person named in it."

"So, you admit that the man you call Trogan has a document describing someone with that name as a Tax Assessor. And you further admit that the man you call Trogan is not the named man."

Brakkis stared at Garia, realizing that his weakened state had made him admit that 'Trogan' was bogus. Finally he nodded, lowering his eyes.

"Aye, milady. All that you say is true."

"Jepp?"

"Unconventional, milady, but he has admitted the truth of your statement and that is enough. Do you need more?"

"I don't think so. You accompanied Juddas, I believe, on journeys to and from Tranidor, collecting mail bags from the roadhouse as you did so?"

"Aye, milady. We all took turns fetching supplies..." he stopped.

"Or getting rid of your loot in Tranidor?"

Brakkis looked at the floor. "Aye, milady," he said in a low voice.

"The verdict is clear," she said. "Interference with the Messenger Service means death by hanging, as soon as possible. For the rapes I would impose the same sentence. There is a strong possibility that along with the man we know as Trogan you murdered an official of Duke Gilbanar's court," she remembered the five frayen Sethan had mentioned, "along with others, possibly his servants. Do you now wish to confess to that crime?"

"Milady," Brakkis said, not meeting her eyes, "I cannot say."

"It doesn't matter. Take him away."

Garia let out her breath slowly and forced herself to relax. Fighting someone to save your own life was one thing but coldly sending men to the scaffold was entirely another and the stress was beginning to tell.

Oh, how I wish Feteran was here now. I could do with some of his strength and experience. He knew what would happen after I made my first kill, he'd know what to say now.

She looked at the crowd and realized that they were all still seated waiting for her to direct the proceedings. Brydas was now down in the courtyard with his daughter Senidet, standing beside Fedren and Kasinna. That made her consider the situation and come to a decision. Reaching down with one hand, she lightly dropped from the wagon bed to the courtyard, causing gasps from some of the crowd.

"Master Fedren, I believe you might have a problem."

There followed an intense discussion with the two men, resulting in Brydas climbing onto the stage to make an announcement.

"In order to seat you all we have taken all the chairs, benches and tables from this place and from the Bell Inn amongst others. That means that those of you who would seek your food from the Inn will not be able to eat it there. Milady Garia and Master Fedren have consented that you may purchase your food there and bring your plates and eating tools to the courtyard to eat your food. There will also be sufficient space for those who brought their own lunches to remain here as well. We shall rearrange the chairs and tables so that you may eat in some comfort. His Highness and Milady Garia, as they both presently reside in the Bell Inn, will be collecting their own lunch and eating it in this courtyard among you. Regrettably, although Mistress Sukhana is now in charge here at the Ptuvil's Claw, she is not yet able to supply anyone food from her kitchen.

"This court shall reassemble at the half between the sixth and seventh bells in this place to try the man know to us as Trogan. The expected sentences will be carried out at the flat beside the river bridge immediately afterwards. So it has been decreed."

up
367 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

SEE..

Thanks ever so much Penny!!! I do hope your feeling some better today! Have a Happy New year!!

Feeling better, thanks

I am feeling much better today, thank you, and I was much improved yesterday to the point I thought I could finish the chapter and get it posted.

Down side is, I don't have much of a voice today and none at all yesterday. There's a sore patch to the side of my throat, I think I strained something while coughing.

I'm also oozing sweat so am more or less wearing gardening clothes (I don't garden) so I don't ruin anything. It's a pain today as all the shops are open and I'm missing the sales!

I'm going to take it easy until the weekend: it's still the holiday, I keep telling myself, and there is plenty of food and drink to use up. My health is still below par and that will give me a proper chance to recover.

Thank you all for your good wishes!

Penny

Somewhere Else Entirely

Elsbeth's picture

Happy New Year and hope your feeling better. Great chapter as always. Interesting to see how Garia tends to influence and changes things without trying.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Influence

She is only trying to be an influence up to a point. Of course what she provides these people is a fresh point of view and they are smart enough to take that and run with it.

Of course she hasn't yet realized that she is also changing. This courtroom episode is absolutely vital for her future development.

Penny

Garia did good there.

Now her people know she can show mercy when it is deserved, but hand out the harsh sentences that other crimes seem to demand.

Excellent chapter.

Maggie

Day of Judgement

is a most bitter part of being the Baroness of Blackstone for Garia. Will they find the bodies of the slain that Trogan had killed? Will there be any retribution from his still free lackeys???

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bodies and Lackeys

You can be assured that all will surface some time in the near future.

As for Garia, "Into every life a little rain must fall".

Thank you, Stan.

Penny

Wonderful Detail

Penny

Thanks for another fascinating chapter.

This whole series is so beautifully crafted, it's a great achievement to make an alien world so believable.

I'm personally opposed to the death penalty, but clearly in the time and place you have located the story long term imprisionment would be very difficult to implement securely.

Looking forward eagerly to the trial of the main villain.

Happy New Year.

Hugs

Alys

Excellent chapter Penny.

Firstly I'm so glad you're getting better.

I'm also intrigued by Garia's feelings concerning the death penalty. They closely mirror the general feelings in most modern countries concerning the death penalty and it's pertinance today. There will always be controversy and discussion about its morality but I'll not enter into that discussion here.

Thanks for an excellent chapter.

XXX

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Not to go into the right or wrong of it

... a death penalty in such a society allows it to move on quickly and not waste resources to keep prisoners with little value to society. It is only in modern times that we can afford 'life sentences' to salve the societal conscience but back in those times, it was not practical. Sure, there can be innocent people killed as it is happening even in modern society but it is society that decides whether its collective conscience can accept that risk.

Kim

Death penalties and the like

This tiny scrap of a tale (for once I fondly imagined it to be) was once a simple love story but as the chapters somehow keep coming I have found that I am forced to consider all manner of subjects which, to my way of thinking, keep getting in the way.

I don't mind that so much, but it does mean that I inevitably come up against my readers' opinions on whatever is the subject of the moment. Occasionally this makes things tricky from a plotting point of view.

I'm trying to keep out of religion, politics and other potential controversies like the death penalty while also attempting to put together some system which will be plausible for the world I've created. (At least, I think I created it. Nobody tells me these things.)

I'm also a Brit trying to write this from the point of view of an American teen and that is bringing up differences between our two countries which I hadn't expected. The American way of life has very few similarities to that on these soggy islands. This means that Garia's point of view about certain subjects is alien to someone like me and I have to attempt to wing it where I can.

Palarand is not intended to resemble Britain, England or any part of Europe except in the most general of ways. Of course, there have been "transfers" which mean that at least some customs have leaked through but in the main they are their own people. In fact, now I think about it, they are much like the way the US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand have become unique despite the original stock all coming from one place.

This means that their 'customs' and reactions to events will be different to the way most of our readers might expect. Garia's presence is only going to increase that difference.

Thanks for you comment, Bev.

Penny

Hmm.. Hanging.

Is this going to be an 'hung until dead' or a 'drop and hang'?

The first is a strangulation, usually done by simply hoisting the person in the air, and waiting for them to run out of breath. The second is a when the person is dropped, which snaps the neck. (Noose requires 12+ turns to be certain to break the neck, as the knot has to be long enough to smack the head sideways)

If it's going to be the bridge, I can see it as a 'put the noose around the neck, and kick them off'. Otherwise, it's hauling them up by freyen.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Drop and hang

There is actually a formula for drop and hang. Body weight actually plays a very important part in this formula to determine the correct length of the rope before it tightens up to snap the neck. If the drop is not far enough the person can actually survive. If the drop is too far then the results can be spectacularly nasty as the rope can actually decapitate the person. You are also supposed to use a new rope as old rope tends to have an unknown amount of stretch (sometimes no stretch) to it.

"They don't call me "One

"They don't call me "One Drop" for nothing."

Saddam Hussein's hanging was a (probably deliberately) 'dropped to far' hanging. *POP* went the head, or so I read.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Poor Garia

She's only about 17 now, if my memory serves me correctly. Now she must be partner to sending three men to their deaths. Admittedly they are roundly plonkers. What a sobering thing for one so young to have to face.

The only compensation for all this is that Keren is there with her to help her with this sobering duty.

I've faced assailants before and had no trouble, but doing it in such a detached manner, I hope that she does not have too many night mares over it.

Gwendolyn

Good with the bad

Like it or not there is a downside to almost every job in the world. As bad as this responsibility is, it is still better off for her charges to have a person of integrity like her to be the one who sits in judgement. The town can do a lot worse and the towns people who were not sure of it before now will surely know it after this is over. It is hope that Garia can handle this responsibility for many years more, unless she is willing to take the time to implement a modern legal system. Nonetheless, as she is the local quality, it is traditional that she sits as magistrate in legal proceedings so there is no total escape from such a responsibility. I believe she has the strength to take on such a burden but it will surely harden her heart ever so much.

Garia has to learn to be a bit more flexible with understanding the social and political traditions of her new home if she is to be effective in discharging her responsibilities and to find ways to improve on those traditions. She has to remember she is not here to remake Anmar in Earth's or the USA's image.

Kim

Court Is Now in Order

terrynaut's picture

I wonder if they should record their new procedure. They have been doing things a little differently after all. Everything else seems very plausible and interesting. This has been a nice diversion but Snep shouldn't be kept waiting too much longer. Just sayin'.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry, the frayen crazy girl

Yeah, more Snep! We want Snep! We want Snep!

*mutter* *mutter* *Snep* *Yeah* *Oy, bring on the frayen!*

Yes, the crowd agrees :)

The way she runs the court seems more and more like a English country court I would imagine. It is convenient in that she has latitude as to how to run it. The main drawback is there are do prisoner advocates and the like. Thing is, Garia is literally their local sovereign (liege) and since there is no lawyering going on the prisoners may not try to drag things out as much. Plus, the prisoners understand their part in the social contract with a lord and will react in a certain way in such a situation. It is a plus and minus in my view in that for situations where there is a falsely accused perpetrator, the desire for quick justice may cause a miscarriage of justice, if the lord in question does not have sound reasoning skills and does not have the full trust of the people she serves for them to not resent her for delaying justice.

Kim

Remember,

She keeps thinking about the Sheriff's office. You know, the 'Shire-Reeve's Office'?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Snep

Snep and his friends are currently out to pasture. They will get a bigger part in a couple of chapters time when we begin moving around the town and Blackstone Vale.

Oh! It's not Snep who is going to cause some fuss shortly, but another frayen. Can you figure out which one?

:)

Penny

Canditates for Frayen of the Year...

There are really only three frayen that fit that bill.

1. Topik, Merry's frayen
2. Brit, Jenet's frayen
3. The un-named frayen that is shortly to become Sookie's frayen

My guess is the frayen that Sookie will be taking possession of.

I can only

say that I do not envy anyone with the power of life and death penalties! Being a Judge and living with those responsibilities has got to be very, very difficult to say the least!

Her thoughts of dealing with an aggressor with a weapon, namely a sword is absolutely correct. It is easier than deciding someones fate while they are helpless!!!

The sudden act oc any kind of combat gives us little or no time at all to think so that part is easier to deal with until after the out come! Then, we feel the ill feelings of having taken a life or more than one life!

As I said, I do not envy anyone with the power or authority to take a life from someone who is helpless or held prisoner!

Other than that I still think that this is an excellent story. Keep on writing please. :}

Vivien

Other view

While I understand your viewpoint, I don't look at it quite the same. In my eyes, all Garia is doing here is deciding if the accused people are guilty of the facts presented. That some of those accusations carry the death penalty is not her responsability. Perhaps you can argue that a certain penalty is too harsh for a certain crime, but that's not within the power of a court.

For example: in this story reading other peoples mail carries a death sentence what I feel is a bit much. Still, there's no way to hide that some of the accused are guilty of that fact, so as a judge you don't have much choice in the matter.

Hugs,

Kimby

Well at least they take privacy seriously

In this age where people think they are entitle to snoop on other people's business irregardless I think that is a good precedence for when Palarand advances in their technological age. Witness the current snooping of email vs traditional mail. Now email, can, be made more secure via a technological 'envelope' that is keyed to the receiver (not necessarily encryption) but that is broken out of convenience. Consequently, email is considered second class communications with no privacy.

There is the whole death penalty debate that goes on and on and all. A swift death penalty, yes with possibility of miscarriage, is still financially cheaper than a dragged out appeal or a life sentence with no parole to the society at large. I wonder how much wiggle room there is for jurisprudence for Garia versus strict constructionist application of law for a Baron? She can clearly run the proceedings any way she wants to, no lawyers or advocates unless she lets them be present, but what kind of sentencing flexibility does she have? This system clearly is only as fair as the Lord or Lady who runs it.

This is a relatively primitive society so the amount of 'CSIing' complicating or benefiting the proceedings is limited. Plus speed seems to be the overriding demand as Garia seems to not want to have multi-day trials.

Finally, sentencing and execution of it. I doubt the law proscribes (sorry Penny not prescribes as mentioned in the text) the means and manner of execution or does it? If the liege gets to choose then it can be as torturous or as swift s/he makes it.

Kim

The Mail Thing

The business about the Valley Messenger Service is extremely important to these people.

It has evolved in the time of the story to be, perhaps, a little better than the Pony Express system or the early days of Wells Fargo but the origins are entirely different.

It started out as a secure and neutral method for any message to be carried from one country's government to that of another: that the messenger not be molested, taken prisoner or killed en route and that the message not be taken, opened or destroyed.

This system could be vital during the many territorial disputes amongst all the countries which run the length of the Valley. A way of transmitting demands, responses, treaties and other diplomatic mail without let or hindrance through any conflict would make a heck of a difference and allow parties to keep talking.

That is why everyone takes the movement of the mail so seriously. The fact that the bulk of it (at the present time) is letters between nobles and government departments is neither here nor there. It is the entire trust which is placed in the security and safety of the system which must be maintained.

We have a similar system here, although we don't execute people who steal mail these days. But then, our Presidents, Prime Ministers and Monarchs don't use the regular mail to write each other these days. Anmarese don't (yet) have any other option.

Penny

my comment about proscribe

I misremembered and I remembered the reverse meaning so I retract my comment.

Kim

Cripes!

Never mind intercepting the mail service and impersonating elected officials - with rape, murder, theft, demanding money with menaces, false imprisonment and GBH to boot, it appears as though Trogan and associates have broken a substantial portion of the laws of the land individually as well as between them. Brakkis alone has probably accumulated at least a dozen death sentances - still, at least execution by hanging (when done correctly, as noted in an earlier comment!) is quick, unlike some methods e.g. burning at the stake (women convicted of Treason) or hanging, drawing and quartering (men convicted of High Treason): Convicts were fastened to a hurdle, or wooden panel, and drawn by horse to the place of execution, where they were hanged (almost to the point of death), emasculated, disembowelled, beheaded and quartered (chopped into four pieces).

Meanwhile, it seems as though prisons / jails aren't really used in Anmar - lesser sentences involve Community Service, which depending on the severity may be in their own town or elsewhere. There may be alternative forms of punishment used for various other crimes, but it makes sense that cells are only intended to be used for people on Remand (post-charge pre-trial detention).

Still, the quick trial process does mean that Garia can quickly return to more mundane matters - namely initially clearing up the financial mess left behind by Trogan and associates then restoring Blackstone's connections to the outside world (e.g. mail service, trading, development planning) - along the way introducing the townsfolk to such things as female riders, Tai Chi and unarmed combat.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Busted!

Oh, gosh, am I that transparent?

The only thing you left out of your list was... Snep!

You shall hear of some of the punishments occasionally used in Palarand in the next chapter, although I will keep the details light owning to the sensibilities of our audience.

Once we have the trial and consequences out of the way we can get right back to normal, which means fun!

Penny

While I do write comments,

I do not do it very often within any one story.

The note that Garia is 'essentially' eighteen (so 17, sue me....) places her in the postion of an 'adult' in most modern day countries. I find it interesting that if we consider the equivalent period (1500-1700) on earth or perhaps even slightly earlier (1300-1400) the age at which one was an 'adult' drops quickly. There was a time when 12 was considered 'of age'. The changes came about as general life expectancy began to increase. Then too did the age at which one was considered to be an 'adult'. I presume that was due to the luxury of allowing 'children' more time to learn prior to being thrown into the thick of things.

The 'age' which seems to be represented here would likely have Garia easily considered to be an 'adult' and therefore the liege 'lord,' or 'lady' in this case, by the time she was fifteen (perhaps even earlier). Since she is from a time (which we all presume is our present - ie. 2010 or so) she would be unprepared for the task even though of sufficient age to be 'saddled' with it. Her demonstrated knowledge seems to show she has had 'royal' training of sorts and while unlikely to be of the caliber of that of a queen, she is easily likely to be someone of rather high birth.

I continue to apply this consideration to all that she has and is doing and find this story to be accurate, interesting, and.... an enjoyment to read.

in other words.......... KEEP IT UP. YOU'RE DOING GREAT.

;)

Anesidora

That's both true and not

That's both true and not true. For example, you started an apprenticeship between 10 and 14, and that often lasted at least 7 years. You generally didn't get married, at least not officially, until you could show that you could support a wife/family - which meant after achieving journeyman or master status.

For farming families, you often had to build a house and show that you had a working farm before you could get married.

So, yes, you could be considered an 'adult' (able to join in contracts and make decisions about your life), but you wouldn't have the status that someone in their early 20's would have. Women were very similar - they weren't officially apprenticed to most guilds, but they did end up learning trade from other women (seamstress, chandlers, cooks, etc.).

So, outside of the noble classes, you didn't actually see as much marriage/activity from those under the age of 18 as might have been expected. This is also why the husband was often older than the wife - it took longer for him to show that he could support a wife and family than it took a woman to show that she was ready to bear and raise children.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

True and Not....

I can agree with that without altering my previous statement.

As I noted, Garia 'appears' to have had some 'training royal' for she can read, write, cipher, etc. which in general was heavily the provinence of Nobility and Senior retainers. (so it happens she does this in another language than that of Palarand - eh.... she has demonstrated the abilities)
She also has a significant technical, scientific and mathematical background (especially so if she had been a Palarand native) which also indicates nobility. Which once again brings us back to her age, her particular provinence, and 'glup,' her extreme (for Palarand and the present she is in) likelihood of being more than a fair target for marriage. Being Baroness Blackstone now adds icing to the cake. That means, whether the 'man' in her life is or is not able to provide for 'his' family and wife will take a back seat since she has the means to support a husband.

I still, probably like so many others, support the Prince as best (and probably most desired) choice for her at this time.
For those reasons I believe she will now be raised even higher on the targeting list than she was before.

(especially if those who were illegally controlling the town were actually representatives of that foul country which possibly has someone from 'somewhere else entirely' held within their own confines.)

That would mean they recognize the value of coal and are attempting to exploit it in an underhanded manner so they cannot be taken to task for an overt war to obtain it.

At any rate, there are a lot of possibilities still unexplored for the direction(s) this story can go. I await seeing just how many of them come to pass.

Good writing, good story.... Good Luck!!!

Anesidora

Synchronicity

joannebarbarella's picture

Forgive me if that's not exactly the correct word, but you'll get my gist.

The rape and subsequent death of a young woman in India has brought a public demand for life imprisonment for such offences, together with chemical castration of the offender(s).

We are far too used to judging crimes against our Western cultural background. I believe interference with the mails was a capital offence in the Mongol Empires and very understandable in the prevailing civilization (of course just about anything was a capital offence in those realms) and even today Sharia law imposes what we Westerners consider barbaric penalties for certain crimes but allows great leniency in others.

I personally don't believe in the death penalty but that's me. In Malaysia you get sentenced to death for possessing or transporting drugs, so sensible people don't do it and stupid people don't do it twice.

In fact, Garia's age might be considered advantageous in that she has time to develop a thicker skin when she has to mete out punishment. Teenagers are also notoriously more callous than many older people. That's why our armies are young men and women.

As others have commented the penalties are already prescribed and she is judging guilt and innocence.

Keep it coming, Penny,

Joanne

Heh.

That's actually one of the biggest things that proponents of the death penalty put forth.

1) (Claim) - The death penalty doesn't deter other felons.
2) Most crimes are committed by repeat offenders.
3) Dead criminals can't repeat their offenses.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Garia's age

Unfortunately might be as much to her disadvantage. She's been thrown into an entirely unfamiliar situation which she has no previous experience of. Her own background leaves her unprepared for situations like these and she's basically running on auto-pilot at the moment. At some point it's all going to come back and bite her.

Teenagers have a different outlook on life as we all well know. They are all immortal, for one thing, and the death of others isn't as important as the older folks want them to believe. That might get her through the trial, but she's a teenage girl, not a boy, and that might make a difference how she reacts.

Yes, I know there's still some of Gary in there but she's adapting smoothly to her new circumstances.

Oh, did I forget to mention that she's 17/18 (Earth years) and still full of raging hormones?

Penny

Better...

than a whore full of raging moans....

The people around her probably think of death as something relatively simple, as in 'it happens'. In that culture, they're very close to it - almost everyone there over 8 has probably personally experienced the corpse of a friend or family member. No undertakers, remember?

For _Garia_, it's another story. We, as a modern American/European society, have done our best to insulate everyone possible from the effects of death, especially a violent one. This is part of what's caused those deaths to be such a shock to the people around them. In our past, much like Ankh-Morpork (Terry Pratchett's main city), they probably had to post a watch to keep kids from using the gibbets as swings - with the corpses still attached.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

She is making the best of a bad situation here

She is between a rock and a hard place... no giggling about the rocks and a hard place in Keren's pants.

Okay, here's my view of the situation. How close it comes to the authors... who knows?

Ah hum... in the US we don't have the death penalty much anymore though some ... people ... want it.

BUT she is BOUND by her oath to uphold Parland's law, the KINGS law.

If the penalty for interfering with the mail, this almost diplomatic pouch mail system, is death how can she change it? That crime -- done multiple times and likely involving murder -- is a violation of international agreements/treaties. AND it also was a crime against HER person as Baroness and the King.

Does she have ANY latitude for modifying a sentence?

Is there anything like a sentencing guide?

As an established Baronesses she might have great latitude I suspect. But as the NEW baroness coming into town after what just happened, does she really??

Sad to say it must be the swift sword of justice time. Later as things are set up and a functioning barony is running she can petition the King to make changes.

It took a long time to end flogging, and other acts of barbarous punishment in the west. Whys should it not be any different here?

Oh, I imagine it WILL give her nightmares but in the end she will do her duty AND do her best to make things better.

Mind you some of these people are multiple rapists, kidnappers, probably murderers and a whole host of lesser crimes. And a couple escaped. Even in our *enlightened age* they would be likely to get life in prison without parole in the US and likely life long sentences in Europe though not as insanely long, IE these rare but occasional 320 years in prison or other bizarre sentences.

Thou for the lesser crooks maybe Keren and the others familiar with Parland law can suggest a loophole so she might legally reduce the sentences on them to something less than death.

As to her being a teenager by Earth and Parland AND her body's measures... remember she IS now a female and rape is a terrifying thing. And she is a prime candidate for rape! IF someone can trap her. Otherwise they will end up with a broken neck, crushed manhood and worse. THEN Keren and the rest of Garia's friends will want their measure of justice for her.

You have to play the hand you are dealt. If anyone can figure a way to modify the harsh law of Parland , she will, but at least at the time of the trials she must be seen as strict but fair.

Maybe at time of execution of sentences she can offer mercy... IE imprisonment vs death.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Yes, she has a sentencing

Yes, she has a sentencing guide. She has Keren, and she has the man advising her during the process. (Jepp)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

May be harsh ???

This is set in our history as few hundred years ago or more. Well back then executions were normal you even had profesional noose makers (no idea what their names are but meh). People were killed for poaching back then so she is lucky these criminals are truely horrible and deserve it.

I wonder if she will show to be like the guy in 'Game of Thrones' and belive who ever sentences the criminal should carry the sentance out.

I know this is a bit of a diffrent direction here but I wonder if anyone has seen the series by 'Guy Martin' (motorbike racer) 'how britain worked'
He has one on a steam pump for a coal mine and goes into detail of diffrent things about the mining operations in those days. If the Auther sees this it is a good way to look at all diffrent aspects at early 18-19th centry and the tech that was made/how to make.

Sentences

I've just reached that part. You'll have to wait and see...

I'm going to try and avoid a lot of the gory parts, though. This isn't intended to be a horror story, after all.

As to Guy Martin, yes, I have watched some of his recent broadcasts. They have proved useful from time to time.

On a related subject, it is quite surprising how often, just when a particular subject comes up in the story, that a suitable program about it appears on BBC 4!

Penny

Edward Gorey

So far, it doesn't sound like there will be any gory parts. Hangings are smelly, but usually don't involve blood. (Unless you're going to make a hand of glory, but we won't go there)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Gore and hangings

There is at least one execution by hanging over a hundred years ago here in the U.S.with alot of gore. The execution went so bad because they used the weight of the convict from when he first got sentenced and in the two year interval between his sentencing and his execution he gained over 100 lbs. Then to compound the problem they used an old rope and not a new one. When they dropped the trapdoor he dropped too far before coming to the neck snapping halt that the noose decapitated him.

That sounds deliberate,

That sounds deliberate, rather than "oops".


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Great story as always, while

Great story as always, while I'm sad to see Garia having to make life and death decisions, sadly they are essential for Justice. Garia shouldn't feel guilty for condemning them because she hasn't, these men condemned themselves by their own actions.

Those men knew what they were doing was wrong, yet still did it.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Fletching

Since avians on Anmar have no feathers and the word doesn't translate to indicate any feathers exist, what are arrows and crossbow bolts fletched with?

DJ

Probably leather.

Much like you buy target arrows nowadays with plastic sheet fletching. Feathers were/are used because they were easy to get relatively uniform, split well, and once split, could just be glued to the shaft.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Not really a problem

I'd thought probably parchment myself. There are most likely any number of alternatives (to feathers) that could be utilized on Anmar such as: birch bark veneers, sized or painted fabrics, fish fins, etc., perhaps even hammered metal sheet for crossbow bolts. Whatever the user could get hold of according to location and circumstances.

Penny

Parchment and vellum are both

Parchment and vellum are both leather. Parchment is generally thinly split hide, vellum thicker. (also depends on how it's treated).

degrees used to be produced on parchment or vellum,thus the references to 'sheepskins' for the documents.

Crossbow bolts generally used leather, because they had too much initial velocity for their weight - feathers would be ripped off. Also, they tended to only have two vanes, not three. (they laid flat on the stock)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

No matter...

How often I read through this I still like it a lot. That said, and Penny please don't take this badly, I see this (heck I've done it a couple of times while attempting pseudo historical fiction) one problem cropping up from time to time; it is exampled in this passage: Jaxen estimated. "It will not take long, milady. You should be able to convene your court at about the third hour."
Time keeping (and remembering to keep to your system when it is not hours) in an Alternate Universe/world can be one of the true causes of clashes and crashes while writing. Again this really is a minor complaint, and more for your information as you work your way through possibly modifying the story. Otherwise, my comment at WMD 28 stands, this is outstanding work, fully commercial or professional grade in my opinion.

I mentioned this one to her

I mentioned this one to her before. I suspect she's simply waiting to fix it until she gets to that point in the commentary.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Hours? No, bells.

This is the worst of the chapters which has hours instead of bells. I have now fixed that particular problem here. Normally, as Bibliophage says, I would 'get around to it' when I reach this chapter in the overall edit, but it actually grates on me whenever I re-read this part.

This chapter, and the next one, were written in a small number of intense sessions as I had the whole day's proceedings laid out in my head. It is no wonder that something like 'hour' was overlooked. Normally I do a good read-through and my co-conspirator, Julia Phillips, also gives them the beady eye before they are posted. We both somehow missed this one.

Penny

Responsibilities

She is now responsible for them it is s heavy burden.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Not something Gary ever thought to face

Jamie Lee's picture

Gary was seveteen-years-old, had a year left in high school then on to college. His time would have been taken up with the usual teen activities and those which interested him.

Nothing has been said what he would study in college, but at that time he would never dreamed of setting Court and determining the fate of prisoners.

While sentencing some of those men to death, because of a very clear law and their actions, may be distasteful to Garia it is the way their law works. And she is now part of that society.

Carrying out the sentences immediately is better than keeping them in prison for an undetermined number of years while appeal after appeal is delivered. But might that change is she tells about lawyers and the rest?

When the trial is over, and the executions are done, how will Garia feel afterwards? This isn't something she faced at the palace, at guildhall, or elsewhere. Will she collapse into a funk which only Keren can pull her out of? Or accept what had to happen to keep the Blackstone people safe?

Others have feelings too.

A wonderful story?

Indeed, that is what it is. Every time I read through it!