A New Style of Education - Part 06

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page


Drew Bond character has been used with kind permission of Maddy Bell

Part 6

I awoke, held close in Helen's warm comforting arms. Her heart was gently beating, as she slept through the alarm. I tried to move out of her strong arms without disturbing her but I failed.

"Hi," she said, releasing her grip.

I turned round and saw her radiant face. Her smile lit up my heart and I started to get the same problem as yesterday.

"Hi, to you too," I said, trying but failing to think pure thoughts.

"Are you okay," she said as she saw my face.

"I think so," I replied, my face crumpling. "Oh, I'm not okay, I'm so sorry."

"What's wrong?" asked Helen, reaching out to me.

"I need to take a shower," I replied, mortified at my incapacity to control myself.

"Ah yes," said Helen. "We do need to get ourselves ready. We're meeting Jill and Anna in thirty minutes."

Helen clambered out of bed and disappeared through the connecting door into her room, leaving me alone in bed. Grateful that she didn't see my embarrassing situation, I climbed out of the bed and went to shower.

As I showered, I thought back to last night's revelation by Jill. I still didn't understand how she knew that she wanted to live as a girl. I hope she eventually feels up to telling me what happened after her mother died.

At seven, Helen and I knocked on Anna's door. She and Jill didn't look very well slept. "How long did you stay up chatting about things?" I asked.

"Till gone three," said Anna, stifling a yawn.

"I hope Rachel doesn't mind that I didn't talk to her about it last night," said Jill, slightly worried. "I just wanted to sleep but I couldn't. Things that I hadn't said, or even thought about, came up"

"I wouldn't worry," I said, giving Jill a hug. "Why do you think Anna was here? She is someone you know and someone you trust. Do you think you'll find it easier to talk with Rachel, now that you've talked things through with Anna?"

"I hope so," replied Jill, perking up a bit.

"The clothes seem to fit you both really well," commented Helen.

"Yes," replied Anna. "I normally struggle to find good fitting clothes. I don't know where they got these ones from, but it's like they were made for me."

I exchanged a glance with Helen and I made a mental note to ask Rachel more questions.

"Do you need to let Erika know that you're here?" I asked, thinking back to Jill's chat last night.

"Erika's Dad got transferred back to America a few months ago, so Erika had to move again," Anna explained. "The American company isn't doing very well and they were hoping that he'd be able to repeat the success he had with the English division."

"There's a little time for breakfast," said Helen, rapidly changing the subject. "Jill, you met the year one students yesterday and they are quite worried about you. Do you think you'll be up to showing your face in the common room, before breakfast? Just to let them know that you're okay."

Jill stood there, unsure if she could do it. "I'll be with you," reassured Anna, putting her arm round Jill. "You'll be on the same table for meals anyway."

"That's true," admitted Jill. "Let's go."

As we went out, I noticed Helen click a few things on her PDA. "They'll all be there in a few minutes," whispered Helen to me as I shut Anna's door.

"Why don't I show you where Rachel's office is?" I offered. "We don't want you getting lost."

"How do you know where everything is?" asked Jill.

"Our PDA's have complete maps," I explained. "I can also ask it to direct me somewhere."

Since we had gone the long way to the year one common room, the other six students where all there. As Jill went through the door, they all surged towards her.

"Give her space," Helen ordered, shooing them back.

"Are you feeling better?" Emma asked Jill.

"I little," answered Jill, sitting down. "Thank you all for being so understanding. Last night was the first time I've been able to talk about some of the things that happened. Months of repressed emotions suddenly surfaced which I couldn't deal with. Now that I'm starting to deal with things, hopefully that won't happen again."

"Jill has some sessions with Rachel this morning," I explained. "Until it's known that Jill is over the worst, she will be staying as a guest. Now, let me introduce you to Anna. You know of Anna, from what Jill told you last night. Anna will be staying with Jill to help comfort her if it all gets too much. Now Anna, let me introduce you to this lot. We have Emma, Paula, Brian, Lewis, Richard and Sam."

"Hi all," said Anna giving a small smile. "You must all be very special for Jill to tell you what she did. She hasn't talked about her mother's death since it occurred. Thank you for being there for her."

"It's breakfast time," announced Lewis. I'm sure that boy never stops eating. I know we are all growing children but he's always hungry.

The ten-seat table had been replaced with a twelve-seat version, so there was enough room for everyone. We sat down, waiting for the bell to ring. Before it did, I noticed Stacy rise. Others must have noticed, as the room suddenly fell quiet. "We'd all like to welcome Anna as a guest at this school. Thank you for being here for Jill."

The whole school, including year one, rose to their feet and applauded Anna, who went bright red. Jill smiled remembering the day, months ago, that she had the school welcome.

"Okay, enough," said Mr Hobson from the year five table. The bell rang and Helen and I went to get any cooked breakfasts.

During the breakfast, Tracy chatted away with all of us. Her questions didn't seem to be as probing as Dan's had during yesterday's breakfast. The conversation generally centred on yesterday's orchestra practice and the pieces we were learning.

"David and Helen," said Tracy, leaning across the table. "Mrs Russell is aware that you will be late for music, so there is no need to worry."

"Thanks Tracy," I replied.

"Welfare of students always comes first," she replied. "I've not heard much about what happened last night, but Rachel said you did the right thing. Well done."

I looked across at Helen; we were both blushing. "I don't think that I did anything different from anyone else," I said.

"Nor me," agreed Helen.

"You all did well," agreed Tracy.

After breakfast, we had five minutes before lessons started. After a hail of good lucks, Helen and I took our guests to Rachel's office. We had shown Jill and Anna where it was but we had promised Rachel we would escort them. I know that Jill was trusted much more than other guests were. Anna was an unknown, so the school probably didn't like them being allowed to roam the school just in case they saw something that they shouldn't.

When Helen and I left Rachel's office, we had missed a few minutes of Music. Mrs Russell dissected the three works we were given yesterday, trying to get us to understand what she wanted portrayed. "We will rehearse these pieces till next week," said Mrs Russell. "Next Wednesday you will be given three new ones to learn. Giving us a nice flexible repertoire for any concerts we might give."

"We give concerts?" asked Paula.

"Oh yes," replied Mrs Russell. "Our field trips involve giving concerts in foreign countries. It is good practice for you to play in top class venues. This school is virtually unknown in England but in some countries Hayfield Hall Music School is renowned for its top class performances."

I almost choked when Mrs Russell referred to us as a music school. I suppose that was the impression that they gave to the countries that we played in.

"How many field trips are planned?" I asked innocently.

"I believe two are planned for the next twelve months. One is to France, which is why you are busy learning French. The next one I know is booked but I haven't been told the destination yet."

Next were computer studies, which is my favourite subject. "You all probably know by now who I am. Most teachers prefer you to refer to them as Mr so-in-so or Mrs so-in-so. I don't feel that is appropriate when it's just students. So during lessons please call me Julia. However, if we are on field trips then it is Ms Toms."

This lesson I found quite basic as I was already well past many of the topics being discussed. However, Julia was well prepared for that and I was roped into assisting if any of the other seven had queries. During none practical parts of the class, Julia had assigned me extra self-learning exercises.

At eleven, some had study period; I had my specialization lesson. Helen had self-study. This was the first time since we had arrived in the school that we had been separated. After the fifteen-minute break, Helen walked me to the room shown on the PDA. "Have fun," she said giving me a heart-stopping kiss full on my lips.

I walked into the classroom, my eyes slightly glazed over. Julia who was waiting steered me to the desk I would be working on.

"When you've recovered," she said with a small grin, "let's discuss your little hacking last night. I've read your report and there are places where we both could have done better. So let's go through it in more detail."

The next half an hour was spent talking about last night and what I might have done. Julia was very humble and we also looked at things she could have done better. "You managed to penetrate the system which was good. However, you alerted me to your actions, which wasn't."

"Therefore, there are two pieces of homework. The first is to improve your stealth skills; the second is to start researching other systems, which so far you haven't experienced. You will find tonight a list of required reading. I also expect you to read around the systems, so you have a wider knowledge of them. Once you have reached a certain level of knowledge, I'll let you loose on that type of system."

As the lesson ended I asked, "How do you manage to get so much time off work, to help here?"

Julia smiled, "The American division isn't doing very well and was offered a good price to sell its UK division. Yesterday the UK division was taken over and there were two IT directors; I lost out."

"So does that mean that you will be working here fulltime?"

"Yes, so there is no chance of you slacking and getting away with things like last years students," teased Julia. "Now, why don't we finish ten minutes early as I believe you're going to collect Jill from Rachel's office. Please pass this warning on to Helen; I don't think Jill is going to be in a happy mood."

So it was with trepidation that Helen and I went to collect Jill and Anna. Just as Julia had predicted, Jill was not a happy girl. Anna just looked pensive. When Julia had said Jill wouldn't be happy I expected tears, but that wasn't the case. Jill was angry, tinged with a mixture of worry and concern.

"What's wrong Jill?" I asked, as we walked down the stairs.

Jill just shook her head, muttering to herself.

"Let's find a bench outside," suggested Helen. "We have a few minutes before lunch."

Outside we found a secluded bench and sat down. "Anna, since Jill is upset can you explain what has upset her?"

"The school offered Jill a fulltime student position. If she accepts then I can join her. Academically it would be good for both of us. However, Jill has worries about us losing contact with our families. She is in a unique position in that she would still see Julia, but she worries about not seeing Beth."

"Beth's her sister?" asked Helen, trying to remember what Jill had said the previous night.

"Yes," confirmed Anna, as Jill sat there stewing. "Beth was in a coma after the accident and Jill was devastated, not just at the loss of her mother but not knowing if Beth would survive. Since Beth woke up, they have been very close ever since."

"I can't leave Beth," said Jill adamantly, "and I can't ask Anna to leave her parents. Her parents would never forgive me or Julia, if they never saw their only daughter again."

"So refuse," I said simply. "Turn down their offer."

"I already have," said Jill. "However, it still upsets me that they made the offer. They knew I would never accept."

With Jill calming down, we ventured in for lunch. As we ate, Tracy could sense the tension emanating from Jill and made sure the conversation stayed on neutral subjects.

As the meal ended, Jill was a lot more herself. Anna however, was still tense. The question "Are you stopping tonight?" from Paula made me worry about how Jill would react but I needn't have worried.

"No," she replied. "Rachel has deemed me stable enough to go home. However, I know I've a long way to go. I haven't been dealing with Mum's death so I have a lot to think about. I'll be back for tomorrow's orchestra practice, so you can't get away from me that easily."

"I won't be here for that," said Anna. "You've been really good to both Jill and me. Thank you all."

"How are you getting back?" asked Richard.

"Julia will take us home," Jill replied. "However, she has a lesson to teach first."

"After lunch, year one have language studies, which at the moment is French," said Tracy, looking at her PDA. "Let me check to see if it is okay if you join them while you wait for your ride back."

A minute later, it was all confirmed. Jill and Anna would join us for French.

When we walked into the classroom the first thing I noticed was the additional desk and chairs. Whoever the school caretakers were, they were efficient. It had been less than ten minutes since Tracy had arranged it.

"You must be Anna," said Mrs King. "Quand tu étais petite, il me semble que tu as vécu en France pendant un an. Comment est ton Français?"

"Je me débrouille", replied Helen. "On restait dans un gá®te la plupart des années, alors ça m'aide a pas perdre ce que j'ai appris."

"Not bad," said Mrs King reverting to English, "and your accent doesn't sound very English."

Brian was good at languages and spoke French much better than the other students in year one. Anna however, had the advantage that she had lived and holidayed there. As the lesson progressed, I began to wonder if the school was inviting Jill to be a student so they could get Anna's language skills. I'm sure it is inconvenient for the school having Jill as a guest, as it must restrict some of the things said or done. So perhaps I'm being unfair.

After French, it was time to say goodbye to Anna and Jill. Jill would be back tomorrow evening for orchestra practice. As we left the room, Helen's PDA beeped.

"Julia has sent a note," said Helen, peering at her PDA. "Jill and Anna's clothes are waiting for them in their rooms. Once they are changed, we are to take them to the car park, where Julia should be waiting."

"What about the next class?" I asked, hoping it had been cancelled. I'd always hated PE at my previous school and hoped that we might not have it here.

"It looks like it has been delayed by twenty minutes," Helen replied, looking at their schedules.

It only took Anna and Jill ten minutes to get changed back into their clothes they had come to the school the previous day. Anna had back on her earrings that she'd worn when she had arrived.

"They even washed them for us," grinned Anna, as we walked down to the car.

"It was nice meeting you," I said, giving Anna a farewell hug. "Take care of Jill."

"I will," she said, "and it was nice meeting you as well."

Helen said her goodbyes to Anna. There was no point in saying to much to Jill, as we would see her tomorrow.

"Take care," I said to Jill, as she climbed into the car. "See you tomorrow."

With them both safely in the car, Julia drove slowly down the drive and disappeared into the distance. As we walked back, I noticed that most students appeared to have watched Jill and Anna's departure from upstairs windows. It had certainly been an interesting twenty-four hours.

Once back inside, I noticed it was nearly time for PE and slowed down. Helen immediately noticed this and said, "I know you didn't like PE. However, nothing in this school was like our old school. I bet they do PE differently as well. With only eight of us, we aren't going to play many competitive sports. Anyway we were told to go to one of the classrooms and not the sports area."

"That's true," I said perking up a bit. "I'll make an effort."

Before we could get to class, we bumped into Rachel. "You both did very well," said Rachel. This comment gave me a nice warm glow inside. It was the kind of comment that I'd never got at my previous school, or from my parents.

"So will Jill be okay?" I asked.

"Well, talking about her mother is a good first step," explained Rachel. "However, it just moves her forward to talking about Dr Patel. It is very important that she talks about that."

"Who is Dr Patel?" asked Helen.

"Dr Patel was a specialist who Bill was sent to see to try and cure him of his medical problem. This was before Bill had told his father about wanting to be Jill. However, I'm not going to say anymore as that should come from Jill. Now hadn't you better get to your next class?"

Just as we were about to leave, a warning siren sounded. The sound wasn't deafening but it certainly grabbed my attention.

Rachel had her PDA out before I could ask what was going on. "Look," she barked into it. "It is just a pair of panties. Override and let it go. I'll get Julia to bring them back tomorrow. Just don't send a security team there or we'll just have a lot more explaining to do."

A few seconds later, the sirens stopped and the tranquillity of the building was restored.

"What was that," I gaped, trying to come to terms with what had just happened.

"Oh, that was security," said Rachel, as if it explained everything. "Weren't you off to your class?"

"Ah great, you're here," said Mr Yates as we entered the room. With all the looking after our guests, we were often late.

"Sorry," Helen and I said together, as we sat down.

"No need," he said with a grin. "It was understood that you were escorting our guests. Look, some of you might have had this talk, some might not, but here is my take on things. Hayfield Hall is setup to help you get the best education possible. The tests you took indicated that this school would be able to help you. Some of you will encounter stressful situations, which might cause you grief, which is why you are in pairs. You also have the backup of the support team. The health of the students is the top priority in this school, then education, then other things. Jill stayed as a guest due to having a breakdown over her mother's death. It is understood those issue come first and you might be late for lessons, or even have to miss them. If there is an issue like that, just make sure someone is aware or someone might worry about you. Does that make sense?"

All eight of us nodded away.

"Good," said Mr Yates. "I 'm aware that some of you probably found sport and PE difficult subjects. However, you all require some exercise and we do have to conform to certain rules laid down by the Department of Education."

There was slight mutterings of dissatisfaction as we realised that we would have to do PE. My thoughts drifted back to a few weeks ago, where I was always the last one picked. The teasing I'd get about how I threw a cricket ball still haunted my memories.

"Hayfield Hall is situated on quite a large plot of land and we have created and marked certain routes for running or cycling," continued Mr Yates. "If you decide to cycle or run, it is up to you. However, the cycle tracks aren't that wide, so I don't care if there are any budding Drew Bond's, there will be no racing."

I saw some of the others in the class start to get excited about not having competitive sports. Lewis, however, looked slightly disappointed.

"The running or cycling is scheduled to be done before breakfast, at least three mornings a week. Which mornings you exercise is up to you."

"So what do we do in these lessons?" queried a puzzled Sam.

"I was just coming on to that. Now sports are there, not just to keep you fit, but also to instil some discipline. As there aren't enough of you for most team sports, we have opted for something a bit different. You will learn two other sports; archery and shooting."

"Shooting?" queried Helen.

"Yes, you might have seen 50m three position rifle shooting at last years Olympics," said Mr Yates. "You keep fit with either running or cycling, and learn discipline through shooting and archery. Both shooting and archery are very skilled sports which I know will be difficult at first, but you all have the aptitude to meet the challenge."

"Do we learn just rifle shooting then, or do we get the chance to try pistols as well?" I asked.

Mr Yates stared at me for a second and I wondered if I'd gaffed again. "If you become proficient with rifles, then it is up to you if you wish to take on that extra challenge. Now let me show you were the bicycles are stored."

We all followed Mr Yates out of the school building and down a path to a locked building. "Your thumbprint will open the door," explained Mr Yates. "You have all got a bicycle assigned to you, again they unlock from their rack by your thumbprint."

Inside were forty racked bikes, all shiny and gleaming. On the handlebar was a holder to put on our PDA's which would guide us round the tracks. I scanned down the list of bikes till I found mine. I extracted it from the rack and sat on it. The seat was just at the right height for me. As with everything in the school, it looked like things had been well thought about.

"Rack up your bicycles," asked Mr Yates. "I will show you to the shooting range."

We walked back to the main building where we got into a minibus. Emma looked like she was itching to drive but reluctantly sat in the back with the rest of us.

"I might be ready by next week," confessed Emma. "My driving was good from driving most days on the farm. However, there are certain things that you don't learn there which I need to perfect. I could drive safely but not good enough to pass my driving test. They won't let me drive till I'm good enough to pass the test. Even though I can't take it till I'm seventeen."

"Don't you need some real road driving?" asked Richard.

"Yes, though they have a track where they can train me. They have older years driving other cars, which makes it like a busy road," confirmed Emma.

A few minutes later, the minibus drew up outside a concrete monstrosity that looked out of place in such tranquil grounds. I looked towards the main house but couldn't see it due to a thicket of trees. In fact, the building looked like it was situated so that it wasn't visible from any of the tracks that went nearby. For its very long length, this building was, ingeniously positioned indeed.

"Only authorised teachers can open the main door," explained Mr Yates, as he unlocked the building. "Students are not allowed here unsupervised, during your lesson I will operate as the Range Officer. For your safety, it is important that you immediately obey any command to stop firing. We also have lights within the firing range; if they are red then you must not shoot. We don't want any accidents so obeying these simple rules are very important. During shooting you must wear ear and eye protection."

"What are the three positions?" asked Sam.

"Prone, standing and kneeling," responded Mr Yates.

"Prone?" I queried.

"Lying down on your front," explained Mr Yates.

"What about the archery?" Richard asked, as we pilled into minibus, after a detailed lesson about rifle management. We hadn't even got a chance to fire a rifle.

"You have two lessons with me a week," responded Mr Yates. "We will concentrate of your rifle work in both lessons. When you all reach a certain level of competency, then we will change to one lesson of archery and one of shooting."

When we arrived back to the main building, we had a few hours before the evening meal. There were several things we could do, including homework, but none of us could be bothered to do that right now. We picked one of the games that was on the system and worked out that we could play a multi person game with the big sixty-inch screen split for each player. Each user didn't have much of a screen size but the game certainly had added fun as we could see where each other was!

After about fifteen minutes of exhausting play, we suddenly found extra characters attacking us. After a little investigation, it appeared that year two had seen we were playing and decided to add themselves into our game. The game changed from the year one student's attacking each other, to year one against year two. I don't know if it was just that they were more used to the game, or they had better team skills, but we lost heavily.

By the time the evening meal was ready, we were all laughing and joking together. During the last few hours, we had learnt more about each other, than in the previous two days. True we didn't know each others pasts, but we were certainly more aware of each others personalities. We weren't just acquaintances; we were on the way to being friends.

"Okay, everyone," called Mr Hobson. "I want to thank you all for your support of Anna and Jill during their stay as guests. Jill still has a way to go, but we hope that we won't see another breakdown like that. Now that Anna has gone, I'd like to announce that next Monday will be a 'Mix-up Monday'."

All of us on the year one table just looked at each other in wonder as the rest of the years started chattering to each other in an excited way.

"For the benefit of the year one students, let me explain," called Mr Hobson over the noise. "On Monday we will run a Mix-up day. All students that are currently living as male will dress and act as females. All students that live as females will dress and act as males. Anyone that is presenting themselves as androgynous will wear male clothes in the morning and female clothes in the afternoon. All students will attempt to be androgynous after orchestra practice till bed."

Our table fell deathly silent. The only one who didn't look ill was Helen. In fact, she looked positively excited. At first, I thought that Emma was going to actually throw up. Paula, who was looking slightly less ill, put an arm around her to provide comfort. The noise from the other tables grew again. You could feel their excitement radiating around the room, which was totally opposite to our terrified silence.

The bell rang to collect the meals and there were seven groans from our table about eating. How could anyone want to eat at a time like this? I'm glad that we were told before we'd eaten as I'm sure that Emma would have actually been sick if she had something in her stomach. I pushed my food around my plate, not feeling very hungry. The only two people on the table that were eating much were Helen and Tracy.

"Look," said Tracy as she swallowed the last morsel of food on her plate. "Everyone at the school has crossed dressed. The older years do it for two reasons, one as a show of support to you, and two, to remind them that there is another side to every person. From year three upwards, it becomes a sort of competition of who can be the most passable. They are comfortable with who they are, so the clothes don't matter to them."

"But they'll laugh at me," blurted out Richard. "I'll be a laughing stock."

This I understood, as I felt the same. How would anybody think that I could look and behave like a girl?

"What about people who have already decided to live in the opposite gender?" Lewis asked. "Are we exempt?"

"Not at all," replied Tracy. "I know it is going to be difficult for you to see the old you, so why don't you try to be different? You have short hair, so why not wear a wig that has a different colour and style than you used to have? Also, why don't you choose a different name, so you become someone you weren't before?"

Brian, who was sitting next to Lewis put his arm around him and said, "Don't worry. I'll help you and I'll definitely need your help!"

All but Emma cracked off laughing and the mood lightened a bit. I decided to try to eat some of the delicious meal before pudding. Emma just sat there shaking her head.

"Emma, after the meal why don't we discuss things quietly in my office?" offered Tracy. Emma sullenly nodded her head in acceptance.

"I'll help you," said Helen, earnestly to me, as we walked out of the dining room.

"I know that," I sighed.

"Do you want to try later?" she eagerly asked.

"Why don't we wait until Saturday? That way it won't interfere with school tomorrow."

"Okay," she responded, slightly disappointedly. "You do want my help, don't you?"

"Of course," I rapidly agreed, so not to hurt her feelings. "However, can we slow down a bit? This is all too much."

I steered us outside and we sat down on a bench in the warm, though cooling, summer evening. There were a few other students sitting around chatting, though not ones I'd got to know.

"I know you see me as a girl trapped in a boy's body," I said after a few minutes. "However, I don't think I feel the same. This dressing up is very worrying to me and I wonder if I should have come to this school."

"I miss my family," confessed Helen, calming down from her earlier excitement. "This school might be good for education, but I worry about what I've given up to be here."

As we sat and chatted, Helen started to get goose pimples on her bare arms. "Why don't you get a jumper?" I asked.

Helen must have liked that idea as she leaned across and gave me a quick kiss on my cheek, "I'll be back in a minute."

Helen bounded off towards the living quarters and I was left alone. The sun was now lower in the sky and the rays were filtering through the branches of the nearby trees making interesting images on the path. I sat there for a while, thinking about the school and the people here. I'd never been to a school like this before, there appeared to be little conflict. The students wanted to learn and the teaching was excellent. Most of all, the music bound the school like a fine mesh. The looks of satisfaction and passion all the student's faces showed during yesterdays orchestra practice was something that I wouldn't forget in a hurry.

While I waited for Helen to return, I decided to investigate some of this area. I'd only been out here once before and that was at lunchtime today. I followed the outside of the school and came across what looked like a secluded courtyard. As I approached I heard voices and paused, so not to be seen. These two people shouldn't be together.

"I thought you were told we shouldn't talk till I'd settled in," stated Richard.

"I know," replied Wendy, "but this couldn't wait."

"Why? Not that I'm not pleased to see my sister."

"After Monday it will be too late," replied Wendy earnestly. "You must leave the school tonight."

"Leave the school? Why? It is a good school. I haven't been picked on, students want to learn and that orchestra practice yesterday. I've never experienced anything so," Richard's voice trailed off as he tried to find the words. "So warming to the heart, so soul satisfying."

"I know," said Wendy sadly. "Perhaps it's too late already."

"If the school is so bad then why don't you leave?"

"I can't," she replied, her voice sounding more depressed.

"Why not? If the school is as bad as you make out then why don't you leave?"

"I'm hooked to the school. If I leave the school then I will lose access to the hormones I'm on. I'm also scheduled to have my sex change before leaving the school. I've travelled too far to leave. Can you now see why you have to leave before Monday?"

"Are your breasts real?" asked Richard in amazement.

"About fifty percent."

"Where will I go? The school is going to get into trouble if I leave. They are responsible for me."

"I'll let you know where to go. Just promise me one thing. Never mention the school to anyone. If you do, then the school might have to close and then what would happen to me? Dad would kill me if he knew that I was no longer his son. He was bad enough when he thought I was gay."

"Okay, Wendy," reluctantly agreed Richard. "You were always right when I was younger. Just tell me what I need to do."

I moved away in total shock, wondering what I should do. I couldn't snitch on Richard and Wendy, but all hell would break loose if he ran away. I also couldn't tell Helen as she would immediately tell Rachel and I couldn't let that happen. Richard needed to sort things out for himself. I walked back and when I saw Helen come out of the door, I forgot all about Richard.

We sat back on the same bench and discussed our French lesson. Languages had never been my hottest subject but, like other subjects, it magically seemed easier here. We tried to hold a conversation in French but failed miserably. We walked inside, laughing at how silly our French conversation must have sounded. It was nearly curfew time as we made our way towards the sleeping quarters. As we approached our room, we saw Richard and Sam just ahead.

"I need to speak with Richard privately," I informed Helen, as I increased my pace.

"Oh?"

"Please don't ask," I pleaded. "I just want to stop Richard doing something he might later regret and Sam doesn't know either."

I could see that Helen wanted to continue this conversation but we had reached Richard and Sam. "Hi, you two," I said pleasantly.

"You missed a great film," said Sam.

"Oh, which film was that?" asked Helen, taking Sam's arm and continued away from Richard.

I grabbed Richard and indicated that he should slow down. "Richard, don't do it."

"Do what?" he asked, fearfully looking around.

"That conversation that you didn't have with your sister. If you get caught, both of you will get into a whole bucket load of trouble."

Richard tore away from my grip and dashed past Sam into his room.

"What did you do?" asked Sam furiously.

"Nothing," I replied, trying to sound bewildered. "I don't understand what's wrong with him."

Sam went after Richard, leaving me alone with Helen. We walked in silence through the door into my bedroom. When the door was closed, Helen immediately asked, "Are you going to tell me what's happening?"

"Yes," I replied, trying not to look at her face, "but not now."

"Why not?" she replied, sounding very hurt.

"Because you'll do the right thing," I said, rubbing salt into the wound. "I'm trying to give Richard space to do the right thing. Right now, I'm hoping that he can be open with Sam. If not, all hell will break loose. All I ask is that you keep this to yourself."

 

up
336 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Richard The Runaway

Why does he want to leave? How does Wendy know where to go? Wy does David know what is best? Were they trying to use Jill against Julia? Big Brother INDEED Karen.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

????????

Great so far, and some really intereting questions. What is so bad about the school that Wendy wants Richard to run away? Why is it importand before mix-up Monday? Why did alarm sirens go off when someone (Jill or Anne?) took panties out off the school? Has this got something to do with being 'hooked'? What did Rachel tell our protagonists apart students never seeing third families again? Why carn't students ever see their families again? How do they stop the graduated students from seeing their families again? How do they stop said families from raising questions? If this is so important why not only enrolled orphans?

That's all I can think of for now. Got to catch up.

Still wondering...

..why students would not be allowed to see their family later on. From what's been hinted at, I assume this school is some kind of training camp for secret agents and probably involves a lot of highly illegal stuff. That still doesn't give me a good reason. The 'real' secret agents out there might not be allowed to tell anything regarding their activities to family, but nobody's going to prevent them from seeing them. Besides the fact that this would be unconstitutional all over the world, the only way to force a student not to visit their family would be by making threats. That's not a good attitude agains people you just educated to be very dangerous.

In reality, a rule such as that could not survive. The parents would raise all hell about the disappearance of their children when they reach the age of 18. That's in the extremely unlikely case that there's not a single student who has a family emergency during the 5 years on the school. The only reason that could work is if the parents are notified in advance they won't see their children any more. Some might accept that, but I'd figure most would not. I can easily see someone making waves over a school making such proposition.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Whole bunch of new concepts

Jamie Lee's picture

The test those year ones, and others at their schools, did more than determine which student was being held back by those jealous of their success in school, but which student had a love of learning. And who would be more likely to do as they were told.

But the school has a problem with any new student arriving at the school, they're locked into the accepted pattern for the school they attended. Somehow they must show the new students that it's okay for them to learn, to say what they think, with limits in David's case, and for once be happy learning.

The other problem that must be overcome is getting the new students to talk about their feelings, feelings they had to bury at their old school or face a slew of foul comments from others.

Some students didn't require much persuasion to share their feelings, while others may have been so bullied they take much more persusion to let them know that it's safe to share.

Springing mix-up Monday on the year ones was not wise. No one, despite all the tests taken, could predict exactly how each one of those students would react to the news. And as is being shown, if a student has a problem accepting mix-up Monday, then they are taken off to speak one on one with one of the shrinks. Who will do all they have to to convince that student to participate. And if a student vehenimately refuses? What then? Shame them into participating? Peer pressure--all of their year is doing it so why not you--type pressure. If this school were as open as they claim then no student would be forced to do something like mix-up Monday.

Except it's absolutely necessary all students do participate.

Others have feelings too.

Some Answers...

1) Wendy knows the rule about never seeing family again, perhaps she doesn't want Richard to be bound by that rule as well.

2) As for the alarm sirens, that would be because all students' clothing in the school has trackers in them, thus any student leaving the premises without authorization would trigger the alarm system. This is known in Annette's story, A New Style Of Education: Hidden Gifts, which occurred a year earlier at Hayfield Hall. Jill was wearing panties from the school supplies when she left, so the alarm sounded.

3) Rachel took David and Helen aside over that because none of the other year one students know about the "never" rule.

4) follows 3) closely, the never rule is a necessary part of the school's system. Let's say you were a student at the school, your parents allowed you to go there because they were told that it would be beneficial to your overall learning experience. Then, maybe a few months after you arrived there, or even a year or more later, after some Mix-up Mondays and Freaky Fridays, you discover that you want to live as the opposite gender. You are allowed to do this, eventually you begin taking hormones to correct things, and you are informed that you will be able to have SRS before you leave the school, ether before graduating or shortly afterward.

Now, think of what would happen if you showed up at your parents' home, having had your SRS, and tell them that you are their child that they sent to this school. What do you think they would do? I would posit that some parents would be very happy that the school helped children in that manner, and would spread the word without thinking about the consequences.

Then there are the parents that would be horrified, possibly to the point of extreme anger and/or violence. So they disown the child at the bare minimum, possibly physically harm the child, or even kill the child, or maybe they go the legal route and sue the school for the "harm" it did in allowing their child to get the SRS done.

In either case, it would make the school a nine day's wonder in the news, possibly even an international incident, and would likely result in the school being permanently closed, thus unable to help anyone else.

5) The simplest way to prevent families from raising questions is the never rule. Because the children will never be able to directly see their families again, they can remain safe and have productive lives in society. The school does allow communication with the families through letters, gifts, etc., but no direct physical contact.

6) As for why not only orphans, I would think that would be because the number of orphans is likely much smaller than the number of students in the UK school system, thus would not give a very large pool to find possible students. Even though the UK has a population of over 64 million right now, the school only picks EIGHT students each year for their new year one, thus the testing is very strict to ensure that they can get the best possible children for the school.

I hope that helps! :)

Trouble in paradise ??

Jezzi Stewart's picture

What makes David so god almighty sure he knows "the right thing to do" This school just keeps getting more and more sinister! A dirty trick played on jill; an unhappy Wendy who is "hooked" on the school; Maybe Richard should get out while he can. (Now if he'd thought to actually plan an escape ahead of time ... :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

re: Trouble in paradise ??

Hi Jezzi, Now I must admit that this episode does appear, on the face of it, to be a bit darker than the previous episodes. The question is why was Jill invited to join the school when Rachel that it would not be accepted? To just upset Jill? No. Now were did I put that escape plan.... ;) Hugs Karen

NSOE

Wow Karen, you have definately opened up what is going on sort of.

Chuckling, the school still sounds sinister. Obviously something is going to happen on Monday, that will be the turning point of the eight students. The point of no return. They all probably like the roles and they are offered the hormones that are necessary to change them.

I am glad you talked about Beth. I hope we find out more about her. I would like to see the relationship Jill has with her.

With Julia now being a fulltime member at the school, how does Beth, and Jill not become permenant members of the school? After all thier former dad, can't talk about anything happening at the school, so conversation ceases to exist in the home for fear something secret is said. Also how is Julia treated at home with her children? Is she now called mom? cince the passing of their real mother? I noticed Jill called her dad in the earlier chapters, that is sort of a dead give away if others not knowing find out, don't you think? I like how you are interweaving the two stories. Are you going to interweave a different plane of existance also?

Keep up the good work Karen, you are very talented.

Hugs
Joni

re: NSoE

Hi Joni, Not all the students are transgendered and want hormones but it will certainly be an interesting time for all. That is if Richard hasn't run away. Julia, Jill and Beth. Well some parents have jobs where they can't talk about what they do and that doesn't impact on their children. Jill has been offered a place but has refused. Why offer Jill a place, which obviously breaks the 8 students per year rule? When you say about interweaving Different Plane of Existence are you refering to Simon/Charlotte? We already have Rachel, Dr Sue and Kelly Baxter involved. Isn't that enough? Hugs Karen

part 6

I have to believe that this school is stranger then it looks.. Especially that thing with sirens going off over a pair of panties.. This leads me to believe that all the clothing issued to the students have tracking modules built in to them somehow.. which means if a student runs away they can find them without any trouble at all.

re: part 6

Hi, Sirens going off. Wow, if the clothes have tracking devices what will that do for poor Richard! Hugs Karen

when the alarm went, i half

when the alarm went, i half wondered if they would say "#6 is escaping! release white blob of jelly!" (re: The Prisoner, for those who haven't seen it.) as for mixed up monday - i can see SOME of the 1st years very nervous, some a little nervous, some none - but almost ALL of them very nervous? it seems a bit much. it is hardly worse than halloween costume!

Jezzi, send an email to Karen...

Giggle, I do....... I wish I could comment, but I can't. Just here to say, you go Karen! Great story, you have got the readers ready for the next (giggle) 'sinister' chapter! (giggle) Huggles Angel Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

re: Jezzi, send an email to Karen...

Hi Angel, I put all my best clues into the story. Perhaps I should leave some out and then can give better comments after! Huggs Karen

Hi Karen

Another great chapter to you wonderfull story. As always you have me wanting more. Keep up the excellent work. John (dooey52)