Somewhere Else Entirely -72-

Printer-friendly version

Jaxen sets off for Tranidor and Garia takes the opportunity for a ride on Snep. She learns more about the country around Blackstone and discovers how a vital resource is provided. The afternoon is taken up with the party's move to the Ptuvil's Claw and she receives a number of requests, both expected and unexpected.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

72 - Small Town Life


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



There was quite a crowd gathered in the street to see the caravan set off. For most of the townspeople their previous existence had been ruled by fear and they hadn't been encouraged to show any curiosity. Since yesterday, though, everything had changed and there were many who wanted to see what the new regime was going to be like.

In the center of the flagged roadway stood two wagons. The first was the chuck wagon with Joolen waiting to urge the lead dranakh into motion. Beside him were Keet and Then riding their frayen. Behind was an empty wagon driven by Helen, flanked by Samir and Bildo. At the rear of the short procession were a large group of riders mounted on frayen, not all of whom would be going all the way to Tranidor.

"I barely looked at the area when we passed, milady," Bezan was saying to Garia. "I just noticed the burned-out buildings and that was all. I have no idea how long it will take to run a quick survey."

"We have plenty of time," Jaxen said. "It's not really a two-day journey, just over a day and a half. At worst we'll reach Tranidor the following morning and the return journey will be delayed. But, since we don't know how long our business in the town will take, well," he shrugged, "maybe we lose a whole day on the round trip."

"I'm not too concerned about the time," Garia told them. "I'd rather Bezan did a good job than rushed matters just to get to Tranidor before dark."

A distant clang from the higher end of the street made everyone attentive.

"Highness, Milady, we'd best be going. If you have no further instructions?"

Garia smiled at the wagonmaster. "I'm having enough trouble keeping all this in my own head, Jaxen. I certainly don't want to confuse you by asking you to do any more. Lead on."

Jaxen pulled out to the side and called ahead. Joolen flicked the reins and the wagon train began rolling down towards the river bridge, followed by all the riders. Keren and Garia rode side-by-side, as was their custom. Behind them were Merizel and Jenet, the latter feeling very self-conscious on her mount. Behind the women rode Bezan and Yarling, the town's tanner Sinidar, seed merchant Jerill and draper Waltan, all of whom had to inspect the wares they would buy personally before selling to the townspeople. To either side of the group rode Garia's men, with the four remaining men of Keren's escort bringing up the rear.

Keren leaned over to remark to Garia, "You have started something here! Did you see how all those women were watching you on Snep's back? Don't be surprised if you are met by a deputation when we get back into town."

Garia nodded. "I am expecting something to happen. The townswomen are interested in me because I'm wearing new styles, if for nothing else! It will be one way of getting to know them, I suppose." She gave Keren a wry smile. "I had to face the same thing in Dekarran, if you remember. At least here there won't be Queens and Duchesses interrogating me!"

He grinned back. "Ah, we crude men retired to a suitably distant chamber to drink beer, if my memory serves me. But don't let that stop you. I imagine the notable men of Blackstone will wish to ask me about happenings in the rest of Palarand while you are entertaining the women. Shall you mind?"

"Huh? Oh, you mean that you'll entertain them while... of course not, Keren! You're much more familiar with what's going on in your father's kingdom than I will ever be so carry on!" She grinned briefly. "Only don't get too drunk, will you?"

"Hardly," he replied. "Sookie has yet to begin the brewing of beer for the Claw's residents so we will be limited to what supplies the Bell has to offer. I imagine the afternoon will be a sober affair, only interrupted by occasional sips of water."

"Keren, don't! You'll make me laugh and I might scare the animals."

"You won't scare Snep, Garia. He knows you too well."

The procession came to the bridge and began to rumble over it. Looking to her right Garia saw that nothing remained of the gallows but the two upright poles.

"You don't leave bodies up, then?" she asked. "In some places on Earth the bodies would be left hanging as a warning."

He shook his head. "That sounds unpleasant. No, we take them down as soon as we are sure they are dead. They no longer own the body and it would be disrespectful to leave it up there."

"That's... an interesting viewpoint. What do you do with the bodies, then? I can't see anyone wanting to remember them at their pyre, like we did for Taranna."

Keren shrugged. "They'll be burned, same as usual, but I don't think anyone will attend the pyre except the priest and possibly a witness. Around here, I don't know what local customs they might have."

"Jepp told me they haven't had an execution here that he can ever remember. They'll be relying on the memories of people like him and older to prepare the funeral."

Yarling rode up beside Garia. "Milady, do you view your lands, now that we are beyond the town?"

"Uh, no, Master Yarling, I hadn't so far. You wanted to point something out?"

"Perhaps, milady. I am not sure of exactly where the boundaries of your lands are, if you would excuse me."

"I was given a description before I left the palace but when you're actually here it doesn't seem so easy to describe. Let me see. 'The whole of the town of Blackstone and the whole of Blackstone Vale, the limits to stretch as far as the waters of the river Bray and along the banks one mark above and one mark below the point where the Blackstone river joins the Bray; The farther borders to be the highest points of the mountains which lie either side of the Vale'. But Uncle Gil - that's the Duke Gilbanar, I mean - said that wouldn't be sensible since any mines would likely go beneath the mountains beyond those limits anyway." Garia shrugged. "I don't think that he's that interested in this region at all, it's just too far away from Dekarran. If I can find something useful to do with it he'll be moderately happy to let me take charge."

Keren added, "That was just the bare title Uncle Gil and Kendar made up when he proposed giving you some land for the barony, Garia. You remember, it had to be some lands that were apparently useless, so that the other barons wouldn't complain."

Yarling suddenly grinned. "Ah! I see that the politics of court closely resemble those of the guild, Highness. I must admit certain aspects of this business puzzled me greatly."

Keren grinned back. "As you say, Yarling. So, Uncle Gil gave me leave to adjust the boundaries of Garia's lands as I saw fit, and that will partly depend on what deposits of coal we are able to find."

Yarling nodded. "There is certainly a great wealth of coal in the hillside above the town, Highness, Milady, but of course I have yet done no proper survey. If you look yonder, across the valley, you can see that other, narrower clefts open into the valley as they do on this side. Blackstone Vale is merely the largest. All will require detailed investigation."

"You shall survey as much as you wish, Master Yarling," Garia told him. "If this region has been neglected until now we must put that right. We need to know what is here before the miners arrive so that we can plan development properly."

"That's an interesting point, Garia," Keren said. "Presently all the land across the Bray belongs to Uncle Gil. If the coal should extend over there, we could have other miners set up on his lands in competition."

"You're thinking that I can plan whatever I like over my side but the other side could end up like Holville?" Garia scowled at the though of the devastation that might cause. "Not if I can help it. But I don't want it to seem to Uncle Gil that I'm doing a land grab."

"I know of Holville, milady," Yarling said, "Regrettably that is how many mining districts end up." He gave Garia a wry grimace. "It was ever the way of the Miner's Guild, milady. It is only recently that specialists such as myself have been asked to bring some order to what is, after all, a free-for-all."

Garia smiled at Yarling. "It seems that the Guild Hall made the right choice when they requested that you join our party, Master Yarling. If we can work out some means to organize the mining here, I'm sure all Palarand will benefit from our ideas."

Keren added, "Then we must all use our time to consider how we shall solve this question. We have a chance to plan this from the beginning, we must not waste the opportunity. For now, let us enjoy the ride."

Garia looked at the farms, fields and pastures either side of the road. As before, the inhabitants had stopped work to watch the wagons and riders pass by, some waving, a few others bowing at the procession. She wondered how much of this would survive into the future.

We can't just lose the farms, though. However many people end up at Blackstone, they will all still need feeding. Do I know enough about intensive methods of agriculture? Is the land any good for that? I have no idea of the climate, what kind of crops will grow here? Perhaps that seed guy is the one I ought to be talking to.

Her eyes narrowed as she focused on the river, now about a mark away from them on the right hand side.

There's not enough water in that for a canal, surely? The river is large enough further down but here it's still shallow enough to wade across. Well, maybe not for me, I keep forgetting how short I am. I could certainly ford it sitting on Snep.

I wonder if frayen can swim? Never thought to ask.

I wonder if I can swim? Had no opportunity to find out, so far.

If you dam the river lower down and clean up the banks you'd have enough water to float a flat-bottomed barge, but then you'd need locks and you lose water each time a barge goes through. Hmm.

"Garia? Seen something?"

"Oh, I was just thinking about the river there. I don't think it's going to be big enough to allow barges to go all the way up to Blackstone."

"Milady?" Yarling seemed surprised. "I would have thought that you could dam the river to make it higher, clean out the river bed, there would be enough for a barge."

"Yes, but in order to let the barges in and out at the far end you'd need locks and you lose water each time you operate the lock. I don't think there's enough flow for that."

"Locks, milady? I know the word you use but I do not understand how it is connected to canals."

"Something clever, Master Yarling. It needs a drawing or perhaps even a model. We'll talk about it when we get back, but I suspect we don't have enough water coming out of the ground to make a canal workable."

"So the alternative is a huge number of wagons, then," Keren suggested. "As you thought when you gave Bezan his instructions."

"Yes, at least to begin with. I had in mind another method, actually, but we'll need a regular supply of steel before we can set that one up. I'm thinking about a railroad."

Jaxen came back along the train and reined in beside the three.

"Highness, milady, I don't know how far you had thought to accompany us," he said. "We have just passed another Mark stone."

Garia looked around and discovered that their procession had made good progress and that Blackstone was sufficiently far behind them she couldn't make out individual buildings.

"As you say, Jaxen." She turned to one of her men. "Brazan, give a signal, please."

Brazan blew a single parp on his bugle and the caravan shuddered to a halt.

"We'll let you continue in peace," Garia told Jaxen with a smile. "You know what needs to be done when you reach Tranidor. So, see you in four days, then?"

"Probably be five, milady, and just possibly six. Aye, now that we have traveled the route we should make better time, but there is business to be conducted in Tranidor and I have no idea how long that will take."

Keren grinned at the wagonmaster. "Just be sure you bring Sookie's saddle back with you, that is all I would suggest."

"As you say, Highness. Without it I dare not show my face in Blackstone, I fear."

"Fare you well, Master Jaxen."

"As your own party, Highness."

Garia and Keren watched the wagons and men move off towards the distant forest before turning to each other.

"You wanted to exercise the beasts," Keren said. "What do you desire now?"

"I have no particular plans. Master Yarling?"

"I would like to inspect all that I can see, milady, but today is not the occasion for that. We cannot cross the Bray anywhere I can easily see so we may not ride on the other side of the valley today. There is a track -" he pointed up the slope to their left, "- which leads along the valley above these small farms. Perhaps we could return part of the way by means of the track."

Keren nodded. "A good suggestion. It will give our beasts a chance to walk natural ground."

They found an access way across the ditches which lined the road and the procession headed across the rough pasture towards the track. This paralleled the road but was high up the side of the valley, almost a mark from the road and maybe fifty or seventy feet above that level. There was enough room on the track for three or four to ride abreast, so they turned for home and began to make their way back without haste.

"See, milady?" Yarling pointed. "There is a seam of coal, right there."

The line of dark material was almost completely overgrown but once pointed out Garia could follow it along the side of the valley just above their track.

"It is much thinner than the seams nearer the town," he added, "but I could not say if it should thicken within the mountain. Only a test shaft will tell us the truth." His gaze rose. "Look! There is another seam much higher up. That one looks more promising, milady. See, the rock appears darker to the eye. If what you say is right, then we must concentrate on the darkest ores of all. Excuse me, milady. Of course these are no ores, but as a miner I am used to thinking in such terms."

"I gather your metals are harder won," Keren noted. "Do you not find useful masses of such ores elsewhere?"

"Highness, it is rare to find such quantities of whatever we seek as we see around us here. Only the masses of ironstone are comparable in thickness and extent."

"That's good," Garia said. "Iron ore is the other material we're going to need huge quantities of."

"Of course, milady."

The riders continued along the track until it began to dip towards the river which came out of Blackstone Vale, the town now plainly visible ahead of them. Here the way parted, leftwards to descend towards the bridge across the river, rightwards to curve into Blackstone Vale itself.

"It's still early," Garia decided. "Shall we go a little way up the Vale? That river down there is small enough we can ford it almost anywhere. I can see a track running along the other side of the valley over there so we should easily be able to get back into town."

"As you wish," Keren agreed. "I think our beasts are enjoying the change of scenery almost as much as I am."

As they turned Keren shaded his eyes and took a good look along the vale.

"It's bigger than I thought," he commented. "Do we know how far it goes?"

"I was told," Garia said, "that it is somewhere between five and ten marks long, although by the time you near the upper end you are almost out on the plains to the north. There's no proper boundary, as I understand it. I know that shepherds take the flocks up there after the rains when the grass is really green but not very many people live up there or go there regularly. Once we're settled in at the Claw and comfortable I want to spend a day or two riding the vale if I can. After all, it's why we're all mounted in the first place."

"As you say. Yarling, I expect you would join us on such a ride?"

"Of course, Highness! When I visited Blackstone on an earlier occasion we ventured maybe a mark along this vale but that is all. Now that I have a different quarry in mind I will be interested to see how the seams change along the vale. It is possible that the vale will prove the richer place for the mines milady proposes."

Their track dipped down and followed the river bank as it wound between the rocks. Garia could see that making a road into the vale, should one be required, would take some effort even if they used all the spoil which would result from the mining. She contemplated the river, now little more than a stream, which flowed beside them.

"This river isn't as big as I expected, Keren."

"You would know more than me, Garia. I just see a river. What is the problem?"

"Not enough water. See, the banks are up there, so the flow must have been much greater at one time."

"Milady," Yarling said. "Perhaps this river, like many, varies according to the time of year."

"But... we're only a couple months or so after the rains. I'd expect the level to be higher."

"Do we get the same amount of rain here as we do in Palarand?" Keren asked. "We're much further north, after all."

"A good point. We're almost at the north end of the mountains, that might make a difference. Perhaps someone in town knows."

They rode along in single file until, at an arbitrary point, Garia called a halt for the frayen and riders to take a drink. While the beasts all crowded the river bank their riders stood around with leather water bottles. She looked up at the sun and considered the time.

"Jenet, Merry, how are you managing?"

"I'm enjoying the ride, Garia," Merizel replied. "We should do this more often."

"Milady," Jenet said, "Although I am enjoying the ride certain parts of me are not. I would prefer to return to town if it is not too much trouble."

"Why of course, Jenet! I'm forgetting you haven't had as much chance to get used to the saddle as we have." She glanced around at the company. "It's probably enough for our first outing, especially as I expect we'll be busy after lunch moving our stuff across the road."

Keren nodded agreement. "As you say. If we cross here we can make our way back by yonder path."

Once they had remounted two of Garia's men splashed across to check the way and then everyone else followed. Snep didn't seem to mind getting his feet wet, for which Garia was thankful.

It would be just my luck to pick the only frayen in the herd who didn't like water.

The farther bank was quite steep and, although they scrambled up at an angle to make the ascent easier, it was still a effort to reach the path Garia had spotted earlier.

Again, I have to stop thinking that I'm riding a pony. Snep doesn't have hooves but feet, and climbing this slope is more like being mounted on a huge, hairless dog. Fortunately he seems more sure-footed than any pony or horse would be.

"This is strange," she said to Yarling when they had all assembled. "This is almost a road."

"As you say, milady," Yarling replied. "I noticed the end of this path when I walked the town with Bezan." He smiled at Garia. "Can you hear anything?"

Garia gave him a puzzled look. There was a certain amount of noise from the men and animals and she had to call for quiet before she could concentrate.

"Why, it's water! But... is it an underground spring, or something?"

Yarling grinned at her. "If that were so, milady, it would empty into yonder river, would it not? If I were to tell you that this path is almost level..."

"It's an aqueduct! Of course! That's why the river is so low and how the town gets its water, isn't it?"

"Aye, milady, and I am surprised that you know of such construction. The water beneath our feet feeds a cistern above the town which supplies all the water."

Garia nodded. "Of course. I'm guessing that somewhere up the vale there is a dam where the water is tapped off the river, right?" She frowned. "If we're already taking the bulk of the water to feed the town as it is, then -"

"- there's not going to be very much left for any miners who come here," Keren finished. "Another problem to be solved."

"Let's get back to town," she decided. "We can work out details another day. Yarling, what is under our feet, exactly?"

"I don't know, milady, but if it is like other aqueducts in these valleys it will be a stone or brick lined channel with stone slabs to roof and protect the water. You are right, we will have to consider the water available to us very carefully."

The path was easy to follow and came out above the higher end of the main street. Garia could see the whole town strung out below her. To her right was a large, low square building with a curious roof which looked like that of a factory. There were no windows but a single small door.

"The cistern, milady. Do you want to have a look?"

"Not today, I think, not while we're riding. I can take a walk up the street one day and have a look at it." She pointed beyond the low building. "Is that where the townspeople get their coal from?"

Beyond the cistern building a broader path led toward the head of the valley of the Bray. On the right, where the valley wall sloped up, a great hole had been gouged in the thick seam of coal which had been exposed.

"Aye, milady. I'm guessing they have mined this coal for many hundreds of years and scarcely made any impression on the amount available. If you look above there are at least another two seams of coal ready, almost, to be taken away with little effort on our part."

"Is that what you expected to see, Garia?" Keren asked.

"Yes. It's a start, and a good one. Let's get back to the inn for lunch. Master Yarling, I don't see anyone collecting water."

"No, milady, there is no need. In those places where the Chivans have built such water storage methods for us, there are pipes already laid, usually made of lead. Of course, we have had to repair or replace most of those pipes but some remain. Behind the buildings in Blackstone, either side, a water pipe travels and is tapped off as required. Beneath each pipe is a great sewer tunnel large enough for a man to walk inside. The overflow from the cistern is directed through each sewer and helps to flush all down to the river. It is a most ingenious system."

The group of riders came down the whole length of the street, people greeting them and waving from almost every building. They passed the empty steward's house and the messenger office and Garia frowned. Another problem! They stopped briefly in front of the Bell Inn but Garia turned the other way and led them all into the courtyard of the Ptuvil's Claw.

"If we're moving over here this afternoon I don't see any point in taking our frayen into the Bell, they might as well come over here now," she explained. "It'll be one less thing to do later."

Stable boys came out and took the reins of their beasts as the riders dismounted. Garia took Snep into the stable herself and made sure he was cleaned and settled with fodder available. When she emerged into the courtyard Sukhana was waiting.

"Are you moving now, milady? Will you all require lunch from me?"

"Ah, I think we'll eat lunch over the road today, Sookie, and bring our stuff over afterwards. Will you have enough food and people to feed us all tonight?"

Sukhana smiled. "Aye, milady. I have ample food and many willing helpers, you shall not want at table. Besides, I have been feeding the men this while, you are only five extra mouths. And some of the men have departed with Jaxen, of course, so I may even come out ahead."

"I didn't think of that," Garia admitted. "Very well, we'll see you after lunch."

~o~O~o~

"That's the last one, milady," Brazan said, lowering his end of a chest to the floor. Toramar stood up from the other end, stretching his back as he did so.

"Thank you both, men," Garia said. "and thank the others for me, will you? It's not often we have to move chests around and we appreciate what you've all done for us."

"It is no trouble, milady. And now... if you'll excuse us, we'd better get out of the women's quarters."

The two men saluted and withdrew. Garia looked round the room, at the chests and at her companions. They had decided to share one of the smaller rooms of the upper storey despite the fact that only four women now lived at the Ptuvil's Claw. With three bed frames so new they still smelled of sawn wood and an embarrassing number of chests, the room was crowded.

"Perhaps we ought to have gotten them to put some of these chests in another room?" she asked. "We'll be falling over them all the time."

"It's a thought," mused Merizel. "We can stack them up but then when we wanted something we'd need to get men up here to shift them for us."

"It is not too bad, milady," Jenet judged. "If we move the beds against the wall here, here and here, then we can put the chests there and there." She frowned. "There would be no room for any hanging rail or table, though. Perhaps it would have been better to put some of the chests elsewhere."

"Are any of those other rooms bigger than this one?" Merizel asked.

"Not really," Garia replied. "I had Brydas measure them up for me and they are all about the same size. Excepting the dormitory, of course, but we wouldn't want to sleep in there, it would be like sleeping in a barn."

"A barn smelling of damp plaster," Merizel added. "You have any ideas for using that room? It would seem a waste of space."

"We won't need it for storage, there's plenty of that in the rest of the building. Especially after Sookie showed us those outbuildings behind the kitchen. When we searched here the other day it never occurred to any of us - Brydas included - to look behind the kitchen."

"Sookie got the beer started, then?" Merizel asked, referring to the brewhouse which was one of the outbuildings.

"Yes, but I would guess that we'll only get a decent brew out of it by the week we're due to leave." Garia snorted. "I don't imagine any of the men will notice, though." She turned. "Let's get this room tidied up before the evening meal."

"But, milady," Jenet began, "should we ask for some of Mistress Sukhana's servants to assist us?"

Garia turned round, her hand out to indicate the cluttered room. "There's not enough room. Besides, I want a little 'us' time, I think. Just the three of us for a bell or so, without any interruptions."

"As you wish, milady."

They managed to push the beds and chests into positions which allowed them to move around a little more freely, although the effort made them all puff with the exertion. While Merizel began opening chests to find something to wear to the evening meal Garia sat on another for a breather.

"Milady," Jenet said, standing in front of her.

"Yes, Jenet?" Garia said, looking up. She knew her maid well enough that she would normally just come out with whatever she wished to say, so this was unusual.

"Milady, I would like you to consider taking on... some more staff. Perhaps an under-maid or two, from among the local people."

Garia was about to say, "but why," when she considered what Jenet was asking. Poor woman, looking after both herself and Merizel, and her own apparel too! And they didn't have the almost-invisible services of the palace to help, either, which meant that Jenet's workload had increased without either noblewoman really noticing.

"Oh, Jenet, I'm so sorry!" Garia leaped up and hugged her maid. "We haven't thought about your problems at all. Even if we had brought Bursila here with us there would have been more work to do, wouldn't there? I'm sorry, we just been caught up with all the other problems." She eyed Jenet. "So, you must have thought about this. Tell us."

Jenet blushed. "It is as you say, milady. There is always more to do when away from home but before I've always been with the royal party so the work was spread among us. This time there is only me. Your own activities, milady, are beginning to require more service than just a maid may supply."

"Because I'm riding and I have different sets of exercise clothing?"

"As you say, milady." Jenet hesitated, still unsure whether she ought to be suggesting what she wanted.

"Look, Jenet, if there's something, or somebody, you want, then tell me! Unless you do, I'm never going to find out, am I?"

"Milady, I am thinking of two under-maids to serve you - um, that is, to serve yourself, Milady Merizel and myself while we reside in Blackstone. If you would approve, I would wish you to consider taking one of them back to the palace with us when we return."

"Jenet makes sense, Garia," Merizel said. "She is stretched providing for both of us and, practically, it is time you had some more domestic staff. If Jenet accompanies you, as she must, who is there to wash and clean?"

More staff! At this rate I'm going to need someone like Kendar just to manage them all.

"It still feels faintly ridiculous to have so many people running round after me," she said, "but of course you are both right. Do you have anyone in mind? Do they know that they might be leaving Blackstone when we go?"

"I have noticed some of the girls who serve the establishment, milady, but I have not been over here often enough to become familiar with any of them. Perhaps we could talk to Mistress Sukhana?"

"That's a good idea, Jenet. She'll either know someone or know someone who does. Two under-maids?"

"Aye, milady."

"Don't forget, Garia," Merizel added, "that Sookie's establishment is now your establishment. Since you moved over all these have become your people, even if it is only for a few weeks."

Garia groaned. "Don't remind me! I'm still not comfortable with all this."

~o~O~o~

"I don't know, milady," Sukhana said. "I agree, Jenet does need some help and there must be one or two townswomen who would be willing to serve. You would be looking for younger girls, I take it?"

"That's the idea. We would train them up and then one would come back to Palarand with us and the other could either remain here, go over to the Bell or perhaps find a position in Tranidor." She thought. "Younger doesn't have to mean younger than Merry or me, though."

Sukhana nodded. "Of course, milady. If I may think for a bell or two I may be able to find you someone." Now it was Sukhana who began thinking. "Milady, since you now all ride beasts, perhaps it is time you considered employing a groom? I know you like to pay good attention to your own animal but there are other demands you must satisfy as well. Considering both your own beasts and those of your men, you really ought to have some hands to manage the feed, the harness, and all the other things a stable needs."

Garia stared at Sukhana. "Is this some kind of conspiracy?" she asked suspiciously. "At this rate I'm going to employ more people than the King and Queen!"

"Milady, you are the head of a noble house. You are expected to have staff."

Garia sighed. This was one battle she wasn't going to win any time soon.

"Fine. As you wish, Sookie. But I don't want you to overdo things, you hear? When we get back to the palace I'll somehow have to find quarters for all these extra people, understand?"

Sukhana curtseyed. "As you command, milady." She hesitated. "Ah, milady, yesterday you mentioned a frayen..."

"Of course, Sookie! You have six to choose from, those owned by the bandits. Have you had a chance to look them over yet?"

"Alas no, milady. I find my time is taken up, firstly running the house and then with your own move from the Bell. Presently those beasts are at pasture, they are not stabled as your own beasts are."

Garia thought. "We can easily sort you out a good beast, Sookie," she frowned at a thought, "assuming there are any that are any good, that is. I'm not sure how well Trogan and his men looked after them."

"I understand the men Sethan and Narrin looked after the beasts, milady."

"Did they? Oh, yes. Then we'll find Sethan tomorrow and ask his advice."

"Milady? You would ask a criminal?"

"We can always have others to check what he tells us, but he is the one who knows those particular beasts best, so why not? The beast isn't everything, of course. Your saddle won't come from Tranidor until Jaxen gets back but I'm sure we can lend you one to get started. What about your clothes? I remember you said you were going to sew something up yourself."

"I should only require a circular skirt like your own, milady, and breeches to go beneath. I have cut out cloth for such a skirt but there was no time in Tranidor for me to sew. And I regret the shape of your breeches is beyond my skill."

"I think," Garia said, "that judging by the crowd we had round us when we set off this morning I'm going to be asked to spend some time soon with the women of Blackstone. I'm sure they are going to want to look at all the clothes I've brought with me and maybe copy some of them. I don't object to that because what we wear in Palarand is going to be different than what they have to wear round here. That means that some of them will be seamstresses and we can ask them to make up your skirt and anything else you might want. Would that be okay?"

"As you say, milady. I have some small skill with a needle but I am no seamstress. I am willing to allow a woman knowledgeable in the craft to make such items for me."

"That's settled, then. You'll need a hat as well," Garia added.

Sukhana looked truculantly at Garia who stared impassively back.

"No," Garia said, "this time I am going to make it stick, I think. Jaxen would never forgive me if you fell off and mashed your head somehow, and I need to stay on the right side of Jaxen. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to wear a monstrosity like mine but you could wear a hat like Merry wears, can't you?"

Sukhana grudgingly nodded. "As you command, milady. It is a sensible precaution, after all. Now, would you care to inspect the kitchen, as we are nearby?"

"Yes, why not? We aren't interrupting anything, are we?"

"Everything is in hand, milady. The kitchen does not even require the use of my own abilities any more, the cooks and boys and girls are accomplished in their work. This way, milady."

Garia followed Sukhana into the kitchen where, despite all windows and doors being open, she was met by a blast of heat. There were six people already in the kitchen when they entered and all paused briefly to bow and curtsey when Garia appeared. There were two cooks, a man and a woman, two teenage boys and two teenage girls. On a spit turned half a large six-legged animal while two smaller four-legged whole animals waited their turn. On the range were various pots which steamed and promised tasty vegetables and side dishes, while on the central table more vegetables were being peeled and chopped.

"It is barely enough," Sukhana said, "to feed all, but your appetites will be less than those who rode away with my brother so we should suffice. I am pleased that we may offer variety while we reside here, milady. The fare of the road can become boring after many days."

"Well, I look forward to tonight's meal, Sookie. Whatever are those?"

Those were four small carcases hung by hooks from a rail at one end of the kitchen.

"Those are brifils, milady," came the answer. "We have eaten them before, do you not remember?"

Garia walked over the floor towards the creatures, the kitchen staff keeping out of her way. Without touching the bodies she inspected them closely.

"Are these avians?"

"Aye, milady. Did you not know?"

"I've never managed to see one close up before. They don't look like this on a serving plate."

The creature had two front legs, a pair of wings vaguely similar in shape to bat wings and two rear legs. The rear legs were much larger than the front ones but both had four front-facing toes and two rear-facing toes, each tipped by a wicked looking curved claw. The head, on a short neck, was streamlined and had a long thin snout full of tiny needle-sharp teeth. The whole body, including the wings, was covered with fine scales which glittered with many colors in the light from the fires. There was a tail, again covered with scales, which flattened out towards the end and presumably acted as some kind of control surface. The whole thing was about the size of a goose.

That explains why the word 'avian' doesn't get translated, then. These must have the same ancestry as ptuvils.

Garia nodded. "These are interesting. We don't have these in... um, my home country, they must be unique to Alaesia." Or to Anmar. "I must admit, I was expecting feathers."

"Feathers, milady? What are feathers?"

As Garia had said the word she realized immediately that it had not translated.

Of course not. If 'avian' didn't translate then feathers wouldn't either, would they? Let's see.

"Um, a feather is what the avians at home have, to help them fly and to keep them warm. I have been told a feather is a special kind of scale. It looks like the scales on these brifils are different than what I know."

She tried to ruffle the scales by running a fingertip up the body. It was like running your finger up sequins, she thought, not that Gary had ever had the opportunity. Or the desire. The scales were considerably smaller and thinner than sequins, though they sparkled in a similar manner.

Like the scales on a butterfly's wing.

"They will be cooked to make tomorrow's lunch, milady," Sookie told her. "If you wish, I could -"

She was interrupted by the appearance in the doorway by Keren.

"Sookie, do you know where -" He saw her and smiled. "There you are! There's a delegation of townswomen in the common room, if you have the time."

"I'm good, Keren. Sookie was just showing me the kitchen." Garia turned. "Thank you, Sookie, and thank all of you for the fine food you serve us. I have to go now."

Garia followed Keren across the courtyard and in the back door of the common room, to find four women standing uncomfortably near the front door. Garia walked toward them and they all curtseyed.

"You don't look happy to be here, ladies," she said. "Remember, this is not an inn any longer so you needn't be concerned at who you find in here or what they might be doing. There's no beer here, even, since Mistress Sookie has only just started brewing. What brings you here?"

"Milady," one started, but said no more. Garia guessed that they were finding it difficult to come to terms with having a noble appointed over them, someone they did not know and who was very young as well.

"Come and sit, please," Garia said. "Let's get comfortable. Look," she said as she led the way to a table and benches, "It's obviously been hard for you to come here but think how much harder it has been for me. I've only been a noble a month or two and where I come from we don't even have nobles. I'm new at this business and I'm having to learn all the rules and customs as I go along. So I'm probably going to feel more awkward about this than you are, see?"

They sat and another one spoke. "Milady, we, uh, watched you this morning when the caravan set off for Tranidor. We watched you ride away with them on your own beast. Now although it is often frowned upon, especially in the towns, we women do very occasionally ride beasts as you do." The woman gave an embarrassed smile. "We were amazed and... interested in the apparel you wore today. We were also present with our families when you addressed the town from the balcony and some of us were in the courtyard yesterday. We wondered if..." her voice trailed away.

Another woman, an older, thickset person finished their request. "We wondered if you might find the time to show us your apparel, milady. We are far from Palarand and often we only hear rumors of the styles of gowns and coats that others may wear. Although we know you must have worn sturdy clothes to travel all that way we know that you have brought others, some of which we have seen from a distance."

"Milady," the fourth one added, "We know that you have much to do, especially after the unpleasant events which have just ended, but we wondered if you could spare us just a bell to see what women elsewhere in the kingdom are wearing these days."

Garia smiled, although it was not entirely natural. By now she had a reasonable grasp of what the female mind thought most of the time and she understood their curiosity. The part of Garia's mind which wasn't female knew that the inevitable session would last much longer than a bell and would involve her pretending to be something that she could not yet claim to be.

"Ladies, of course! I would expect nothing else. Um, let me think how to arrange this. How many of you are likely to want to come?"

"Milady? You will do this for us? I don't know... perhaps twelve or so. Will that be too many?"

"Not at all. Now, I don't have anything much scheduled in at the moment and my secretary is elsewhere but I think tomorrow afternoon will be free. We're not using the women's dormitory upstairs so we can go in there and get everything out. Up there we'll be safe from any interruptions. I'm sorry, it will have to be some of these benches, we don't have any comfortable chairs or soft carpets anywhere in the Claw."

"Milady!" the first one said. "To have a chance to see gowns that have come from the palace itself, we would suffer to stand if that had been our only choice."

"Speak for yourself, Tilla," the thickset one said. "My knees aren't as good as yours. Milady, benches will be good enough for such as ourselves."

"Then that's settled. I have a warning for you, though, and a question."

"Milady?"

"As you can see I am a very young woman. In fact my coming of age was only around three months ago, so you must understand that the clothes I have with me are suitable for someone my age. Those of you who are much older may not approve of what I choose to wear."

"We understand this, milady," the second one said. "We will not mind at all. We were all young once, just as you are today. To see the fashions and the fabrics, that will be enough for us. To see a pretty young girl in a becoming gown, well, that will be an extra joy."

"You mentioned a question, milady?"

"Are any of you by chance seamstresses? I may have a commission for one or more of you if you are."

"Milady, yes! That is one reason we take so much interest in your choice of gowns. We shall ensure that our seamstresses are present tomorrow, milady." The speaker looked interested. "May I ask what you intend, milady?"

"Of course. Mistress Sukhana, who runs the Ptuvil's Claw for me, wants to ride. We'll give her one of the frayen that used to belong to those bandits but she needs suitable clothing. I wondered if you could help."

"We would be delighted to help, milady! I assume her riding attire would be of a similar design to your own?"

"That's the idea, yes. She's just told me that she has already cut out material for a skirt but she's had no time to sew it. She'll need more than one skirt plus some other items we'd best discuss in private." Garia gave them a knowing look.

There were big smiles from the four.

The first said, "Milady, we'd be delighted to help!"

The fourth asked, "Would milady permit us to use such patterns for our own attire?"

"Absolutely. Uh, I mean, yes, of course."

The first woman stood up, which caused all the rest to join her. The four curtseyed.

"Then we will depart, milady, and leave you to the preparations for your meal." Behind her, Garia could see the serving girls beginning to set out the tables. "After lunch tomorrow, milady?"

"Yes. If you gather in the carriage entrance I'll have someone show you up."

The women departed and Garia sat a few minutes in the common room with Jenet watching it being made ready for the evening meal. Merizel appeared through the front door, her cloak billowing around her. She saw the two and made for their table.

"You can tell the seasons are changing," she said, settling on the facing bench while folding her cloak over her arm. "It might be warm during the day but I notice that the early mornings and the evenings are starting to become somewhat cool. I didn't need this cloak when I went out but it made a difference coming back."

"I thought that when we were gathering for the ride this morning," Garia agreed. "I was beginning to wonder if I will need to wear a little more in the future. Those pea coats are quite warm for now and I do like the way our skirts trap the heat of our frayen and keep us comfortable in the saddle."

"Yes, I know! I was surprised myself today. That skirt design is brilliant, Garia!" Merizel leaned forward and said in a low voice, "You might not have worn them before you came to Anmar but you certainly have a good eye for the design of women's clothing. Almost everything new you have introduced has been an improvement in one way or another."

"Well, I'm not sure where it comes from, Merry," Garia said. "If anyone on Earth had tried to get me interested in women's clothes I would probably have fought, bit, scratched and kicked like a wild animal to get away. On the other hand," she mused, "if I had started out as a girl on Earth, perhaps that is the kind of subject that would have interested me." She shook her head. "We'll never know, will we?"

Merizel looked around. "Where's His Highness?"

Garia grinned. "Keeping as far away from me as he can, at the moment. I've just been entertaining four of the town's women who want to have a look at all the clothes I've brought with me. We've set up a session for a dozen or so of them for tomorrow afternoon, Merry, and I'm afraid that will include you and your clothes as well. We'll use the women's dormitory upstairs so we'll have room to change and we won't be interrupted by the men."

Merizel looked at Garia with interest. "Knowing you, I wouldn't have thought that kind of get-together would interest you, Garia. What's changed?"

Garia shrugged. "We have both new and novel designs, Merry, and we have chests of clothes from the palace. It didn't seem fair to dangle them out of reach of the townswomen, who after all don't have much opportunity to see the kind of gowns that are worn elsewhere." She sighed. "And I'm also realizing that I have obligations to these people. There's no reason I can't be nice to them occasionally. Like my grandfather used to tell us, politeness costs nothing but can return great rewards."

"As you say. I don't think there's anything planned for tomorrow afternoon, so that's agreed, then. What are we eating tonight?"

~o~O~o~

"I hate myself for doing this, Keren, but I just can't help myself. Having your arms around me like this is just so wonderful. It does all kinds of funny things inside of me."

They were standing on the covered walkway in the courtyard, outside the rooms where the inn's owner originally lived and which Sukhana now occupied. The activity in the Ptuvil's Claw had quietened down for the night but there were still sentries set. One watched from the bottom of the stair to the women's rooms alongside Jenet, neither moved or spoke.

"I confess that I enjoy the sensation of holding you, Garia. Since you came to live with us I have become aware that you have revealed feelings inside me I never thought could exist. To know that you are beside me, and safe in my arms... I cannot describe what I feel, only that it only happens with you, and that I do not want it to end."

"Is that your decision, then?"

She could feel him shake his head in the near-darkness.

"I wish that it were, Garia. But the decision of the Heir to the Throne of Palarand must needs be a colder thing and that is a decision I do not wish to make."

"We need to talk about this properly, Keren. Not just a few snatched moments in the dark here and there. We need to find somewhere and sit down, away from prying eyes and ears and work out what options we have and what we might do for each option. What we might have to do. What it would cost us."

"What it might cost Palarand," he completed. He sighed. "Aye, you are right. But in this town I do not know if that will be possible, we are too well known, we are watched by all whenever they can, and with good reason! We cannot find a private room, a quiet space, for tongues will begin to wag."

"It is possible that they wag already," she said. "I think one or two are wondering just what our relationship is, why you chose to come here with me. Do they think our relationship is not proper? I don't fully understand the local customs." She had another thought. "Keren, what if they think we are already engaged?"

"Engaged?"

"Uh... betrothed."

"I don't know. In the normal course of events, when one of the royal family becomes betrothed then an announcement would be sent out to all towns and villages in Palarand. However, your circumstances are... unusual. I do not know what would happen if..."

They were both silent with their own thoughts. Finally Keren spoke again.

"This is hopeless, Garia. Whether we are together as man and wife," and how that expression thrilled her inside! "...or whether I am forced to choose another for reasons of state, you will always be part of my life. You have pledged yourself to Palarand and I do not think you would willingly go and live in another country now. The knowledge, abilities and attitudes you bring to us make it certain that you will always be highly valued here. My father called you a treasure and such you are, such a treasure that I do not know if they have yet realized just how important you are to us. That is why we shall always play a large part in each other's lives whether we will it or no. What I do not know is how we might withstand the strain should we not be wed together."

Garia looked up at Keren, her eyes streaming. "Are we just making the final decision harder on ourselves?"

"Perhaps."

He bent down and gently kissed her on the forehead.

"We should retire," he added. "There are many days yet in which to consider our futures, whether they be together or apart. Tomorrow, we should attempt to resume our exercises."

"As you say, Keren."

up
381 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am so sad!

Tanya Allan's picture

because I wait eagerly for each installment, read it and then have to go back to waiting again. I hate waiting!

Thanks.

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Impatience

Ah, I see another bundle of impatience dances for a stall along with me for the next chapter.

DJ

I agree with you completely,

I agree with you completely, Tanya. I love this story too and the only bad thing about it is to have to wait for the next chapter.

Hugs,
Andrea

I'm sad, too

...because I put my back out over the weekend. It was like having a Claymore mine go off at the top of my pelvis.

It was almost impossible for me to sit down and do anything constructive. So, despite the fact I had this chapter done and half-checked, I wasn't able to post it.

It's more or less subsided now, which is what happens to muscular problems, but the issue now is that I'm more relaxed so when I use a particular set of muscles I get caught unawares, and girl, does it hurt!

I can stand, and bend, and do most things but sitting is still uncomfortable. I can't go from sitting to standing very easy. Sitting up in bed is almost impossible.

Still, the next chapter almost writes itself, providing I grit my teeth and sit there. And after that... more fun!

Penny

Part of me thinks if the King

Part of me thinks if the King and Queen don't want them to fall in love they would have ensured Garia had gone to Blackstone alone, by sending them together they have just caused them to be tortured by inescapable feelings.

If Keren were to wed another I fear for Garia's sanity, being close wouldn't be an option, Keren's wife would do her utmost to keep them separated especially if she got wind of their feelings.

Great story, Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

It's not quite that easy

This is most probably a test. The difficulty for our unhappy couple is to find out what the test is intended to prove.

Is it to ensure that they are so closely matched that they will weather any storm?

Is it to prove that Keren will be strong enough to resist any temptation?

Is it to find out if Keren will follow established custom or defy it? Or defy his parents?

Who knows? There may be other motives out there. My muse won't tell me.

Penny

Small Town Life

Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting this installment out so promptly. I can stop dancing for a day or two now.

The trials of young love!

Oh, I can most certainly imagine how they are feeling. They are teenagers in spite of their duties. I imagine that the King is expecting them to return home completely besotted with each other, though I can not imagine the outcome though I have my own hopes for them.

Very nice

Gwendolyn

Small town life

is teaching Garia and Keren things that staying back in Palarand couldn't/wouldn't have. Perhaps tat is why they set him instead of some Court Official who could do what Keren is doing.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Absolutely, Stan

Quite apart from their personal issues, this trip is as important for Keren as it is for Garia.

The kingdom Keren will inherit will be somewhat different than that his father inherited.

Penny

Decisions, decisions...

Where to draw the boundaries of her territory, where to dig, how to plan the town, how big the town should be (bearing in mind the scarcity of water), employing at least three additional staff (two under-maids, initially line-managed by Jenet; plus a groom for the frayen), and of course the biggie - what to do about the relationship between Keren and Garia.

Since they're winning the hearts and minds of the locals, how about indirectly canvassing the locals: as their stay continues, find out from their staff what the latest thoughts and feelings on the grapevine are - after all, if it comes down to having to get legal clearance (since there's probably never been a situation regarding a noble via adoption - let alone one seeking to marry into their adoptive family!), having the support of their Subjects probably wouldn't harm their case...

-oOo-

Meanwhile, on the subject of water, one possibility: if during their geographical / geological survey of the terrain they discover a nearby valley higher than Blackstone Vale itself, it may be possible to dam that stream and divert some water to Blackstone. If there happens to be a seam of coal or iron ore between the valleys, so much the better - initially establish a small scale operation concentrating on that seam. If there's a plentiful supply of iron ore as well, start replacing lead pipework with iron (and if there's a copper mine within reasonable distance, copper internal pipework)...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

They've broken enough conventions already.

As I see it, Keren & Garia have broken enough conventions already. With every passing day larger and more reienforced conventions are being challenged and often broken. It's only a matter of time before love's true path takes it'a course.

Like many others here, I also get impatient for the next chapter but heigh-ho I just have to be patient.

Thanks for this delightful pleasure.

XXX

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

I Smell a Test

terrynaut's picture

I think the King and Queen are testing the young lovers. Mark my words. Those two young ones will be wed.

I wonder if Snep will be involved in the wedding somehow. Garia won't have her father to give her away so perhaps she could ride Snep up to the altar. Ride 'em, Snep!

This story continues to engage and delight me. Please keep up the great work.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Last scene was heart breaking

We feel so intensely at that age. We the readers know it is far more than a mere crush though. They have, if not more so, worked at understanding each other and getting to know each other than many a couple who have married. There is no sex to muddy the waters so they love each other as friends and people first. I will not go into the rest of the benefits of their marriage.

So there are barriers to mining here. A lack of water for one and the expected lack of infrastructure to support it. Pollution is still an issue as coal mining apparent requires 800 to 3000 gallons of water to process a ton of coal. Disposal of that dirty water will be an issue and clearly there is not enough water here to support large scale mining yet.

Oh, and like it or not, Garia is the new alpha female in town, even if she was merely a male baron's wife so she will need to get use to the fact she will have heavy influence in the social tone.

Kim

ABSOLUTELY the King and Queen set this up as a test

Garia had to visit her barony. It is critcal to Parland as they know about steam, steel and the importance of coal and other minerals now. The Prince needs to know his country. The country needs to know their future king.

This is a test of if he is ready. A chance for Keren to shine away from the glare of his parent's reputations. An opportunity to assess the value/quantity/quality of the coal and other resouces in the vale of Blackstone.

But as Penny our evil authoress puts it, WHAT is the real test?

That Karen and Garia can act maturely? That is a given. But is acting maturely meaning resisting the temptation to become lovers? To thus follow centuries of convention on royal weddings?

But this is a land on the edge of rapid, more like exponential change, most of it due to or strongly influenced by Garia.

Is the TRUE test of their *coming of age* acting responsibly as adults under the old rules or in finding a way to act responsibly but mindful of the future soon to come?

IE is the test in becoming a man and a woman accepting their duties and ignoring their desires? Or is it embracing their duties, carrying them out above and beyond expectation? And is it showing the will, the confidence to defy convention and openly court the other's hand? If society is to change must not the ways of governance change to reflect, to enable beneficial change?

I agree, as they themselves spoke at the end of the chapter. No matter what happens Garia and Keren will/ must work closely together as she is THE key to Parland's future. But they also realized IF they cannot be together as lovers/man and wife will they be able to cope?

Would any spouses accept the tension between them, the obvious intense desire? There are no easy answers and unspoken here is the almost inevitable conclusion that their desire for each other is too widely know or will soon be so. How can the Prince find his future Queen if it is not Garia? Or her a husband if it i s not the Prince. The very knowledge of their unrequited relationship would likely poison any other relationships they might resign themselves to.

Unless they EACH can find someone else to love, love MORE than their teenage hormones are simmering now, how can either ever find happiness or a fair measure of it?

And we still have the two brigands out there plus all the increasing complexities Garia is discovering. IE each possible solution creates multiple problems to overcome.

Her chief maid has it right, Garia NEEDS a bigger staff.

Or to put it in modern terms, Garia needs to delegate!

She has already with many of the inventions'. She gave the basic design/concepts/formulas as best she knew to expert but adventurous craftsmen and they ran with her ideas.

She seems to have that also on Sooki and in particular the mining engineer.

She just needs to attract and help guide civil planers, civil engineers, transportation engineers, agronomists and so on.

Too little water for canals, unless they can safely damn seasonal rains? Roads are poor, a bit early yet for a steam/electrified railway... though a narrow gauge gravity/animal driven railway is pretty modest in its requirements for iron or steel.

Possibly as an interim step to supplement the wagons, a cable way where a cannal or crude horse drawn railway is not feasible?? IE buckets suspended from a cable system. Wood could be used for the bulk of it, even large portions of the suspended buckets. Steel only really needed for the cables, pulleys, rollers and reinforcements.

Poor girl, she thought she was sparking an industrial revolution, Instead she has triggered a tsunami of evolution in all aspects of Parland life.

BTW I wonder, is part of their intense so far unrequited love because she IS all alone, separated from what he knew and loved as a teen boy in Kansas? And Keren both knowing that but seeing the bright, caring and ever so sensual woman blossom explosively in front of him can't help but be infatuated.

They started as necessary co workers. That evolved to friends and strong admiration for each other's strengths. And at some point that evolved into desire/longing/sexual LUST.

-- grin --

Dammed fine stuff.

Hope the back gets better soon.

I am lucky in that I only rarely -- once every few years -- have back trouble and usually it passes in a few days needing no more than a snug belt, a little ibuprofen and heating pad.

And even then it hurts something awful.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

What about some of the other minerals?

such as white phosphorous, magnesium, sulfur, and nitrates? or the occasional small bits of uranium?

rare earth magnets, a turning wheel in water, and coiled copper wire = basic electricity.

then basic morse code over copper wires for instant kingdom communication.

the development of engines steam and fossil fueled....

then steel ships and flying planes. Too much technology introduced into a society too fast ultimately tears it apart between those that embrace the new with those clinging to the old. A tried and tested historical fact.

Not to mention the possibilities with medicines such as bread mold for penicillin, peach pits for you know what in manufacturing metals, etc. I could keep going on but you know the idea.

All new ways enemies will find to get rid of the cause for their world's change.

And most importantly, will this new world keep a tight reign on the technology Garia is introducing them to or let it be used to tear them apart with? Are they wise enough to see far enough ahead and how to embrace it? or will they fear it or let it get out of control and tear them apart?
 
 
On the other matter of Garia marrying Keren? I think it would be disastrous on many levels:

1) An outsider moving in on the royal family (This is how others would see it and plague her with it)
2) Duties would likely keep them apart and put them both under severe stress.
3) Garia's end of things would be locking her in a gilded cage, maybe a queen? but a cage nonetheless, and not free to move about.
4) I am not 100% certain, despite what has happened, that she truly feels completely a woman (at least in the sense of permanence)if she desires to find a way back home. The way back might put her back to being male again (and a sense of turmoil within her should it become so.)

Ideally, she should find another person to be with or a find a way back home. In the interim she should just be a special advisor to the royal family and leave it at that.

And quite honestly, I see the king and others using her only for her knowledge and not her as a person (Keren does see her as a person and I exempt him mostly from that statement.) That is why I feel as I do about the story's situation.
 
 
John, if only I was as lucky as you in the back dept. Even with the nerve burn outs, mine still hurts loads, curves and makes noise :*(

Sephrena
 
 


Garia and her military coming soon!

Yeah, and as a tallish guy, 6'2" back problems are more common

or so I was told.

Mind you past injuries are a BIG predictor.

Look at yourself and that awful car accident.

I had a boss I once worked for, a fit former all-city football quarterback. Some twenty years after the fact injuries he sustained in high school were at times all but crippling. He needed powerful prescription muscle relaxants and even oxycontin pain killers to cope. Fortunately he also had periods of no symptoms.

I wouldn't wish such pain on anyone.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Garia and her best friends have talked about that very issue more than once. IE how to push/enhance progress but without the pollution and mistakes Earth made or that we cam see Parland has made -- IE the mining district.

Social/political upheaval is even trickier.

For that compulsory education and a gradual restructuring of the ruling system is needed. If the public have a stake in the advancement of a stable and prosperous Parland perhaps revolution and war can be avoided or at least minimized. There will be rivals and luddites I fear unless they can be convinced they will also benefit IF they make a few changes/adapt.

John in Wauwatosa

Nice to see some opposite perspectives on Garia's presence

Now, point by point:

>>>>>>1) An outsider moving in on the royal family (This is how others would see it and plague her with it)

That is a vague subject at the moment and there is not really a foundation as to how vicious an opposition there would be. But what has happened however is that she will win over the key parts of the non-nobility, namely that of the 'trade' who are the ones that really keep the kingdom going. The guilds and the merchant class who have the ability to spread good or bad news about someone will probably make or break support. As it is these people now realize they are in position to make A LOT of money with her there ....

>>>>>> 2) Duties would likely keep them apart and put them both under severe stress.

Depends on whether what kind of ruling partnership they establish. If they decide to become essentially co-rulers then they will be involved in each others business and there will be constant communication between them. If they do it right, and learn to delegate properly, this should not be overwhelming.

>>>>>> 3) Garia's end of things would be locking her in a gilded cage, maybe a queen? but a cage nonetheless, and not free to move about.

Well, she is already experiencing that issue now. She has taken on a boatload of responsibilities and in doing so her freedom is more and more restricted. Delegate, delegate judiciously. I am sure Keren will know better than to do that to her when she is queen.

>>>>> 4) I am not 100% certain, despite what has happened, that she truly feels completely a woman (at least in the sense of permanence)if she desires to find a way back home. The way back might put her back to being male again (and a sense of turmoil within her should it become so.)

She is a work in progress at this point as it has been less than a year since her arrival (seems longer) so she is meant to have some rough edges. I think whether she would opt to go home Right Now is higher of course if it was offered to her by the beings who transported her here, granted, but even 2 years down the road, not so much. However, if they were humane beings I wonder if she could visit Earth again, one would hope. One wonders what she has to go home to at this point though as we do not know whether she is the actual Gary or a copy of Gary who got transported to Palarand and like it or now this is really her home.

I think we just have to wait.

BTW you really think Garia will lead a bunch of stormtroopers :)

Kim

Sure!

After all that restrictive boredom being a ruler? Id go out and hire some locals to build the suits of armour and hire some mercenaries and have a Star Destroyer built to fly around and have some fun ^^

Is that a mountain in our way? *blam! Blam blam blam!* *mountain of rubble*

(I'm just teasing!)

Garia has to burn some energy off somewhere doing something fun. Something to save Parland and herself maybe in the process.

Sephrena
 
 

Boredom?

You really think Garia would be bored as a ruler?

Judging by what has happened to the poor girl so far she won't have time to be bored.

So far, the "fun" she's managed to have has been her exercises and rides on Snep. She knows she has duties and responsibilities but yearns for the wide open spaces. She is from good American stock, after all!

As for modern weapons and machinery, you may find out more in the final chapter, which is set well into the future. Just don't expect DeathStars or Stormtroopers, though.

Penny

But...

...wasn't Star Wars set a long time ago in a galaxy far away? :)

If it's a long time in the future, we'll be looking to see if they've developed phasers, teleporters and FTL travel :D

Or, more to the point, if they've managed to avoid blasting each other to bits, attempted to exterminate entire groups of people (probably less likely, given in Palarand at least Agnosticism is the nearest thing to a State Religion) or caused environmental catastrophes en-route (hopefully Palarand would use the Blackstone approach to planning and development as a model; although of course the same couldn't be guaranteed of other territories - Yod might succomb to over-development and under-sanitation...)

Having said that, don't hurry in your quest to reach the end - somewhere in the 200s (or later) would be fine :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Here is an anime series you can watch

online for free that runs along themes similar to those found here in Penny's story!

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

After a long and treacherous journey, our Hero finally arrives at the Dark Lady's castle only to find himself being asked for help. The Hero explains how the war that the demons have brought upon the humans have killed thousands and put more in misery. The queen of demons however argues that this war has made the human society band together as one and showed empirical evidence how it has increased population, increased production, boosted economy and improved society overall. Furthermore, she explains to the Hero that ending this war will result in a civil war that will produce more bloodshed than there ever was. The Hero, convinced that the only way to bring peace, relatively speaking, is to join forces with the Dark Lady, agrees to help with her plans!

It's on Episode 4 right now but it is soooo good! And it reminds me so much of this series.

Sephrena
 
 

Water Supply

I worry about how the water is piped into their little town. Lead pipes? Not a good idea since lead itself is poisonous and especially so if it is heated so that is something that could cause long term health problems!

Great Story. :}

Vivien

Isn't that how the Roman Civilization Destroyed itself?

they used lead in their drinking cups, in the wine making process and it contaminated their food and drink until the rulers went looney and destroyed their empire through bad decision making and ruining their health.

Sephrena
 
 

Yes and no.

There were a LOT of different reasons for the failure of the Roman Empire (both/all of them).

Disease (their road system allowed diseases to spread inside the incubation period, and they didn't have the medical knowledge to deal with it)

Outside pressures (Barbarians moved out of the Russian Steppes every few generations. Parthian, Kushian, Mongol, etc. Other barbarians came out of the north. Visigoths, Ostrogoths, etc)

Complacency (bread and circuses, anybody?)

Excessive growth of government (There's a reason that 'Byzantine' became a synonym for overly complex)

Sheer size - communication became a problem.

Lead being leached into drink would be relatively minor, and mostly due to pewter. Wealthy people would be using silver or gold for their wine, because of the taste. Poor people used tarred leather or wood. Pewter would be middle of the road. Lead's largest effect is _not_ through drinking, but through breathing, much like mercury. (Mad as a Hatter, anyone?) (The continuous flow of water would tend to reduce the PPM to a pretty low number; the places where water would 'sit' would be made of stone, brick, or concrete. )

The effects of lead poisoning would tend to lead to quick overturns of family positions. Total morons (that's mostly what lead poisoning does) would end up dead quickly. Nutjobs, on the other hand (like "Little Boots" Caligula) are tolerated until they start to interfere with the government.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

It is likely that is already on her list of things to do

Sadly even solder may be an issue as that was used in building houses pre-1988 in the USA. I grew up in a house built in 1961/62 so there is some lead due to the tin/lead solder used to join copper piping. Granted there is not much of it as long as you run the water regularly, especially first thing in the morning, but it is still something to be aware of. I guess everybody now knows where my erm 'dynamic' commentary comes from ;)

Kim

Solder

Silver solder will take care of the lead problem in soldering copper pipes.

DJ

Um.. I don't know if you've

Um.. I don't know if you've ever soldered pipe before, but you don't tend to have the solder directly in the flow of water. Joints overlap, and you solder at the end(s) of the overlaps. To extend pipe, you put a small sleeve over two pieces, then solder the ends of the sleeve to the long pieces. (Technically, it's 'brazing', I believe, but 'soldering' is good enough)

Solder is too weak to be able to use it as a direct joint to joint merger. Nowadays, they can actually weld the pipe together (seamless pipe) to make longer runs.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Long story short

Yes, I've seen it done and I have done my own soldering due to my electronics background and schooling.

Problem is, since the goal is to suck solder into the join, you have to heat the end where you want the solder to go to. I watched plumbers doing it and sometimes too much solder is used or the joint was heated too long (usually via a propane torch) and the solder gets sucked into a place where some amount may get exposed directly to water.

As to the sources of lead, lead piping of course is one. Other major sources have been theorized is the use of lead (not pewter) cooking vessels for doing cooking. This would fit with the theory upper class Romans being the ones who suffered from lead poisoning more and leading to problems. My understanding has been that lead goblets may wine taste sweeter because lead is a 'sweet' metal but I am not sure how extensive the use of lead goblets would be.

Finally, it is known that lead does not leave the body well so cumulative exposure could serve to limit satisfactory lifetimes or cause real issues in old age. Consequently it is warned that length of exposure is more critical than level of exposure.

Kim

Food

As Garia mentioned food is important. What has made it possible to support the present population of Earth is the presence of man-made fertilizer. Essentially, what we are doing is man-made nitrogen fixation which cannot be done as large a scale in nature. This is what has made intensive farming really possible. The Haber process is what Palarand will eventually need when their population grows sufficiently large.

Kim

Well, almost

There are places on Earth like China and India which have supported large populations for a very long time.

The one thing they do is make scrupulous use of all biological waste material and recycle it on the land, rather than flushing it into the sea as most western countries did until recently.

It is possible, but I grant you that some kind of modern fertilizer will eventually become necessary.

Penny

"Modern" Fertilizers

"Modern" fertilizers, contrary to hype, do not perform better than biologicals. In fact, they are more expensive.

DJ

It depends on _which_

It depends on _which_ fertilizers you are talking about. Ammonia, for example, isn't that expensive, but it's an important 'artificial' fertilizer.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

My only suggestion is for 'intensive farming'

... which can seriously deplete soil quickly. Now that can still be made to work if the growing season is long but if crop turnaround times are short due to intense local need, there will be the inevitable production losses that will gradually strip soil of its richness as normal farming practices of allowing fallow fields may not be possible. I am under the impression that Northern Palarand may have a bit of shorter growing season due to possible weather differences. It would all depend on whether Blackstone is on the ocean facing side so ocean air coming it will cause it to rain more on that side.

According to the story, town waste, probably mostly human waste, is just being flushed into the river so maybe they are a Western Country In Waiting ;) Sewage treatment for fertilizer and environmental protection anyone? This will be important as well as Palarand population grows. River pollution. I live in the Middle Atlantic region of the USA and the Chesapeake Bay is notorious for having pollution due to farm runoff so introducing good practices will help solve both problems, no?

Currently about a third of the world's population is being supported via man-made fertilizers, FWIW

Given enough land, yes once a nitrogen reserve is created, it should be able to be reused reasonably with maybe a relatively small topping off due to inevitable losses in the cycle.

Kim

Quick Note

I don't want to say too much about the fertilizer business but I will clarify one point here, which is that:

(i) All the action takes place in the Southern Hemisphere, which implies that northern regions == warmer;

(ii) The Sirrel empties out into the Shan ocean to the east, and we're right on the estuary which means that Palarand is very near the east coast of Alaesia;

(iii) The 'rains' which come in late summer approach from the ocean to the east. (In fact, most weather comes from the east in these latitudes.) It is likely that northern parts of Palarand get slightly less rainfall than southern parts. Nevertheless, all that water went somewhere. It didn't all go down the Bray, so where?

(iv) It was the Chivans who created Blackstone's sewage system, based (presumably) on established Roman town practice. Therefore it is basically their fault that the waste isn't being recycled efficiently. Garia will probably do something about that.

Penny

Oh!

Well short of 'magic' I think I know about the water ... *zips mouth*

Kim

Could it be...?

Penny, I just had an epiphany. When Gary went from Earth to Palarand, the knowledge he carried in his head was all he needed to become an important, wealthy member of the society he found there. What might be the results if the vague, all-powerful beings who moved him to Anmar decided to send him back to Earth? I can't imagine what, if anything, he might have learned in Palarand that would make an impact on this world. He would simply be an average teen boy with a wild tale to tell. No wonderful new inventions or...

((((GASP!))))

.

Wait... Penny... are you Gary? Oh my god, you are, aren't you! This story is actually you telling us what happened to you when you were abducted by aliens, right? Oh you poor thing! Here we are reading all of this, believing it to simply be a wonderful piece of creative writing, and all the while you've been pouring your heart out, telling us the truth!

Please forgive us... we didn't know... How could we?

.
.

Lora123b.jpg
The girl in me. She's always there,
usually over-thinking everything :-)

a pleasant diversion

after the unpleasantness of the trials. nice!

DogSig.png

Inevitable

It’s inevitable that they will end up together at this point.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Their assay begins

Jamie Lee's picture

They are finally getting down to business to start bringing Blackstone back to something which will be better for those living there. They have only scraped the surface in seeing the amount of coal available, much likely underground.

How could the woman of Blackstone not want to see the clothing Garia and Merizel brought with them? They are at the opposite end of Palarand so not privy to new fashions. Wonder if they ever thought to open a store that makes clothes to order? If events happen as Garia envisions, something that store may be needed.

When the third attempt to get Garia happened at the castle, Robanar never gave it a second thought to get Garia away from the palace and send her north. But he also sent Keren north, and Terys never made a squeak that both would be together in the north.

Those two do have a problem that won't improve if Keren is forced to marry another to join the two families. If this happens, Garia is going to be a mess, possibly going into a deep depression unless something else gains her attention.

Others have feelings too.

Where to begin?

Blackstone isn't just at the far reaches of the kingdom but is sort of like Appalachia in the USA. It is a hard to reach area that until Garia came along had absolutely nothing to attract anyone to it. So, they were almost entirely cut off from outside communication before the gang of thugs showed up and entirely cut them off from the rest of the kingdom.
As far as the clothing goes? Oh yeah the women are going to want to see what Garia has! All clothes are either made custom or by the person themselves (or their spouse if they are poor men who have not the skill) so really there is already such a store. But it is probably going to expand greatly!
If you haven't read it yet Julina of Blackstone is the story that tells some of this...