I understand

Printer-friendly version

I Understand ....

I understand now.

At the beginning, there was within my body not one mind, not one soul, but two.

Fraternal Siamese twins, joined at the heart, and although one was male, the other female, they functioned as one so well that no one perhaps suspected the existence of this duality.

Then, there came the discovery of the body’s sex, that I was male in form, and a conflict began to arise between the two souls, and the boy-soul pushed at the girl-soul, like many a small boy who decides that his one-time playmate now has cooties.

But the girl pushed back, and as she was in fact the stronger of the two, she took charge of the body, and so it was that when a man thought to be a wizard of sorts asked for her heart’s desire, she was the one who spoke, and she asked for a chance at light and life.

Sadly, the wizard was like Saruman, and had long before fallen into darkness, and saw this conflict within my body as a weakness he could exploit.

Say what you will about the girl-soul, she was brave, and decided to take all the degradations the wizard performed on the body on herself, protecting the boy-soul as best she could from the horror and shame.

Once my term of imprisonment was over, the girl-soul fled inside, taking with her the memory of what happened, and a wall was created to keep the boy-soul from discovering the truth, or so it was hoped.

Sadly, the wall was not a perfect protection, and the boy-soul felt loss and grief without knowing what he had lost, or what he was grieving for, and nightmares found their way over the wall to torment his sleep for years to come.

And whispers of the girl-soul also made their way over the wall, but instead of comforting, they only frightened the boy-soul even more than the nightmares did.

Then the boy found the wall, and made the first crude attempts to make an opening in it, only to be overwhelmed by the pain, grief, shame, and sorrow from the other side. And so great was the pain he felt, he missed the cries of the girl among the screams, and closed the hole in the wall leaving her inside, like Pandora closing the lid on Hope.

But the absence of his twin gnawed at his being, and he finally started hearing some of the whispers from the girl-soul, and began a dance that brought him briefly closer, then farther away, and then closer again, as he seemed balanced between need and fear.

Then finally, when it had seemed like he had lost all the things he could lose, he made the decision, tore a hole in the wall, and let the girl-soul out, and after a short period where they were at balance-point, he withdrew to allow her the opportunity she had been denied all those years ago.

But this has not been without cost, as in freeing the girl-soul, he had to free the memories of the wizard-monster, and face for the first time what had happened to them both as children.

But now, they were no longer fighting, and together they are facing the demons hidden in those memories, and bit by bit brining more and more of the totality into the light.

The girl-soul has stepped out into the world, and found support and acceptance beyond her wildest dreams, and with the boy-soul within to cheer her on, she is going to make a good life for herself.

One day at a time.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sniffle!

This is a wonderful way of making sense out of it all Dottie! I shed happy tears for you and wish you well in you endeavor to be who you should be! Big Hugs, Taarpa

thanks, Taarpa

thanks for all the support.

DogSig.png

I enjoyed this look into your

I enjoyed this look into your past. The one thing it shows is that for all of the path was different. For me, I knew I was born the wrong sex, since I was three. It was also noticed by others, I remember being called a fag for the first time at that age. Again this was great.

thanks, Lesley

I was sort of a mix - just boyish enough to pass, as it were, but with a strong feminine side if anyone had paid close enough attention. Unfortunately, the first person to see the truth was no friend of mine ...

Thanks for all the support.

DogSig.png

Dorothy...

RobertaME's picture

I couldn't bring myself to read these stories of yours before now. I was too lost in my own struggles to deal with the unfairness of others' tragic events in our shared journey. By comparison to your experiences and those of others like us, my own journey was a cake-walk. All I had to endure was 23 years of loneliness. I had no mix though. No boyish tendencies to hide behind and "pass". It was a daily struggle just to not be girlie. There were times when that loneliness and struggle nearly drove me to end it the only way I knew how, even as young as 6, and even at that age, having never been assaulted that way, found myself wishing that I would be, because somehow I felt that I deserved it, even though no one ever told me so.

Now I am stronger. Strong enough to read these stories without wishing to harm myself, just so I would not be as lucky as I was. I didn't deserve to have such a relatively easy time of it, and yet at the time felt that I suffered so much. Intellectually, I know that my own suffering was bad enough, but I often wonder why I didn't suffer as badly as others did. After talking about it some with my wife, I think I may understand.

As easy as my own journey was, it still was bad enough to want to die. Being harder wouldn't have been any worse to handle, I still would have suffered to the extent of desiring death. The logical corollary to that line of thinking is that it wouldn't have mattered if my journey had been easier, either. By extension, others who did have it harder than I did might take comfort in the knowledge that they still would have suffered even without their heavy burdens... simply because of who we are. That no matter how bad it was, it is past now and we're still here, and the horrors of our pasts didn't diminish us, but only made us stronger.

Dorothy, I hope that this in some way helps to know. If anything, you know that you're the wonderful and caring person you are... and you wouldn't be you without the things that formed you... and we all LOVE you as you.

God Bless and Warm Hugs,
RobertaME

It was a necessary thing

RobertaME's picture

I wouldn't ever say that reading about the things that happened to you was a good thing for me, but it was a necessary thing for me. Finally understanding your history has helped me put my own in better perspective. I still have a LOT of anger in my heart over the lost years... the decades of self-denial and doubt... the seven years after I came out that my extended family, including my own parents, essentially wrote me off.

When I read your stories, it helps put all of that in perspective. The worst any of my family ever did was ignore me and say mean things to me. As bad as that is, I never had to deal with the kind of pain you and others have endured. When I transitioned, I had a loving and supporting wife who stood up for me and stayed with me, two children who always knew that Mom was there for them, and many other blessings. I am so lucky to have had it so easy, but sometimes it's easy to forget that and just remember the hurt. (and I do still hurt) Reading your story helps ground me and remind myself just how much worse it could have been... how much worse it is for most women like us.

I don't want the anger that all too often fills my heart when I remember the painful times. Your stories help. So... thank you. Thank you for telling them, for putting them here, and for letting the memory of your pain help make mine feel lighter and easier to endure.

Hugs.

I would say I got off lucky

once I actually committed to a transition, I got more support than I dreamed possible.

DogSig.png

Understanding...

Interesting way of writing your experiences, Dot.

*hug for Dorothy AND Todd*

Lisa

thanks, Angel Lisa

hugs, (and I promise to watch the hands ....)

DogSig.png

Oh Dorothy.

My heart aches for all you have been through. But as every day you post a blog or story, I can see the strength and resoluteness in you. Go live beautiful butterfly and become greater than the pain of the past. Love and hugs, Jenn.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

thanks, Jenn

You go live too, beautiful butterfly.

DogSig.png

understanding

never has something been so eloquently told and explained so that others could understand the pain and suffering someone went through. this could bring tears to the eyes of the hardest of us on this earth... You, my child are truly gifted beyond compare.. may a father's love bless you & hold you when times are hard for you.. I have always liked your writing , that has turned to love ...Write on & May God bless & keep you

Nobody is 100% man or woman.

Extravagance's picture

Todd will always be a small part of you, always having some good purpose. Acknowledging this is part of achieving and maintaining peace with yourself.

As for me, in the not too distant past my girl half became rather frustrated by how little attention she was getting. She tried to take matters into her own hands and get rid of my boy half, but he managed to return to his half of power before anything regrettable was done. Now both sides of me are working towards something that will be admittedly not so good for my boy half but much much better for my girl half, and ultimately the average of the two scores will be considerably higher and this will be adequate consolation for my boy half. = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

thank you, Extravagance

maintaining peace and finding a balance is very tricky. Good luck with your balancing act ...

DogSig.png

I can sorta relate ...

... to the feelin' of there bein' another soul connected to yours. I think there may be more'n one connected to mine, though. I can see why it took so long tearin' down that wall. Havin' to deal with what happened to girl-soul sounds ... I wanna say awful, but that ain't a big enough word, and I dunno a word big enough for it. But ... knowin' somebody else was brave enough to do that, makes it a little easier to try doin' somethin' like that myself.

if you decide to try

We'll support you as best as we can, but make sure you have professional help as well.

huggles !

DogSig.png