Pop Pop and the Unexpected Bridesmaid - Part 5 - The Unexpected

Printer-friendly version
Pop Pop and the Unexpected Bridesmaid
Part 5
The Unexpected

by Jessica C

Copyright © 2013 Jessica C
All Rights Reserved.

 


Image Credit: Picture purchased and licensed for use from

123rf.com. The model(s) in this image is in / and are no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model(s) use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character(s) of this particular story. ~Sephrena


 
Previously… “Brianna, you appear to be a girl in more than appearance. You seem to be happy again and I haven’t seen you like this for a long time. Dad and I know you have been into my stuff. All I am asking right now is for you to remain Brianna so you and I can continue to talk.”

I went back to the waiting room when the visit was over and I wanted to take a walk with Carrie, but everyone wanted to go and eat. Dad planned to take my brothers home tonight and he wanted Pop Pop and me to stay at the hotel for the time being. Mr. Gillette and Carrie planned to stay tonight but leave tomorrow.

I knew, for now, I was staying as Brianna. When I finally got to go back to the hotel to change Carrie went with me. “Your Mom and Dad wanted me to give this to you,” Carrie said. “Your sister Marcy will be coming tomorrow to stay with you for a while.”
 
 
And Now…
 
 
The Unexpected
 
Carrie and I went early to the hospital as Carrie wanted to say goodbye to my parents. Mom had a good and uneventful night in the Intensive Coronary Care Unit and would be moving to a regular floor later in the morning. She was happy to see Carrie and quickly asks, “Did she take her the pills this morning and one before she went to bed.”

Carrie smiles, “Yes Alice, your daughter was a good girl and took her pills and will do so until a decision is made.” I felt awkward as they were stronger than normal birth control pills. Once again, others knew more than me.

Mom asked me to step away from the bed as she did not get a good look at how I was dressed when I came into the room. I wore a pink denim skirt that was a few inches above the knees. I had on a white cotton linen peasant blouse with embroidered flowers. I didn’t feel cold but I wasn’t used to feeling air under my skirt and blouse. It was designed to be a bit short.

Mom and Carrie enjoyed me being frustrated with its length. “She is lucky she looks her age or I think the interns might put a move on her,” Carrie said and my mom laughed.

Dad spoke up, “There is a teenage guy in the waiting area, who is more than willing to ask her for a date. He asked me if it was okay if you two went together for lunch.”

“I hope you said no!”

“I only told him he would have to wait until dinner, as you are taking someone to the airport. I did tell him your sister would be here by then and she would need to approve.” Mom thought it was funny and I knew Dad wanted me to feel uncomfortable and I did.

Carrie had two signed photographs one for Mom and one for the staff. It was about 8:30 when we left Mom. Carrie went to the waiting room. I thought to say goodbye to Pop Pop or others there. But Pop was not there and she left without a word. On our way down the elevator she asked me, “Do you think that guy is as hot as I do?”

“Carrie, I can’t believe you would ask that.” But she waited and stared at me until I responded.

“Okay, he’s nice looking, are you happy now?”

“Was that your impression as a boy or a girl? Marcy told me you met a nice guy named Jeff at the beach.” Carrie had talked to Marcy? I couldn’t believe they would talk about things like that. Carrie gave me a number to call if the opportunity allowed, for Marcy and me to go to a Broadway play.

Pop Pop and Mr. Gillette were waiting down at the main entrance of the hospital, as we're going to the airport together. It was arranged that Carrie and Bruce would go out of the same airport; and shortly after that Marcy would be flying into that airport.

I spent the time going to the airport, to thank Mr. Gillette for all the help he had given us. He was just a bit younger than Pop Pop, and he had a lot of respect for my grandfather. Mr. Gillette told me I should be very proud of him. I was, but it was nice to hear it from an important person. Carrie had told me similar things and she knew that I strongly admired and loved my Pop Pop.

We were almost to the airport when Mr. Gillette thanked Carrie, “All you do as a singer to help others speaks volumes about you as a person. Later on, when you evaluate what your career means, what you do for others will mean more. I have made some giant dams, but they don’t mean as much as a granddaughter asking for help.”

Carried said, “You are a big man Mr. Gillette. I am thankful that we were on the same side and you are such a good friend to Brianna’s Grandfather. Being there for him and Brianna means a lot to me. I don’t often get to see important men take the time to be a real friend for those important to them other than writing a check.”

Both of them turned to me, Mr. Gillette spoke first, “You get to see a lot of the man I admire in your grandfather. I am glad God blessed our paths to cross. Brianna, boy or girl you are the same grandchild to your Pop Pop and to your Grandmother Grace. She too would be very proud of you.”

We were now at the airport getting their luggage. Mr. Gillette paid the limo driver and gave a man at the curb a $50 bill and piece of paper. “Please make sure the luggage gets to the proper airplanes and that we are checked in properly.” Carrie's comfortable with the arrangement.

He said, “We need to go separate ways, I asked Bill to go with you and Carrie. I will communicate back about the action of the Senate and I hope you are invited by the President when he signs the Bill into Law.”

Carrie looked to me, “Wouldn’t that be a great honor?” But I wasn’t in the mood to hear about such things. Carrie and Mr. Gillette were as important as I needed. They have warm hearts and that is what I need right now.

It was hard to say good-bye and leave Bruce Gillette; my tears were already there. What would happen when I said goodbye to Carrie? Well it came soon enough and I knew Carrie was a busy person and I was fortunate to have so much of her time.

“Carrie, you have been so good to me, but it's never easy to say goodbye to you. I am glad I can pop one of your CDs into a player and sing along.” I gave her a hug. “I thought you were going to tell me something about the pills.”

“Brianna, your emotions tell me that you have been taking them already. They're working and I agreed with your Mom this is no time for a girl to have a mood swing. So yes, I think it is good for you to be taking them and if you get to be Bri a bit longer maybe you should consider that you are Brianna.”

“Brianna, let Marcy be a big sister for you. I know you already see her as such. Your mother is so happy to see you and you need to know you are greatly loved by many.” I'm crying as Carrie took time to sit with Pop Pop and me. She gave me a hug and went to get me a glass of water. I knew in a few minutes she wasn’t coming back. She wanted to leave me while I was regaining my composure.

=^_^=


Pop Pop and I went to a Café near the concourse that Marcy was to come. We ordered something to drink. I got a cup of tea and Pop Pop got coffee as well as a sweet roll for me. Without a thought, I said, “Poppa, you can’t go ordering sweets for me; I need to watch my weight.” He looked up and laughed.

“Whether you are Grandpa’s grandson or granddaughter, I am still programmed to spoil you a little. So if Brianna needs to watch what she eats, please be tolerant of your Grandpa.” He was only half joking at that point.

Grandpa had lived with us for a few years and he was then the one who would take time for with me. “So Brianna, are you still open to imagine stories with me,” Poppa wondered?

“I thought about that when we were at the Storms and again the last few nights,” I said. “Last night I even went out to our living area hoping you would come over so we could share. I was afraid because my characters might have changed.”

“Did you think if your story had a heroine that I would be upset?” He continued, “If you remember most of your stories often did have a heroine.”

"Yes, I had thought of that and wondered why? I don’t know why but it was important in those stories that I had a friend who was a girl.”

Poppa said “Think and answer for yourself, there was you, me, the girl and some good animals. What did she do that we usually didn’t? And what did we call the stories?”

The last question was easy, “We called them ‘Animal stories’.” I thought some more and then it came to me, “She cried and said she was afraid when the bad enemy was way too great.” But I wasn’t comfortable with that, “But she was also brave, and she never gave up and she was crucial to our winning,” I exclaimed!

“Yes, she truly was a heroine, but she cried and said she was afraid because neither you nor I would say that. We were afraid that we would lose control if we did that, but she didn’t.” He went on, “I still missed your Grandma and I was never sure that you ever missed her.”

Pop and I got more to drink and waited for Marcy. Her plane arrived pretty much on schedule, we just had to wait and hope we didn’t miss each other in the crowd. I text her the name and location of the cafe we were waiting at.

I finally spotted Marcy and called out to her; just as quickly I spotted her mother Ruth. I was quickly worried as well as happy to see her. “Ma Storm, I am surprised to see you; why didn’t anyone say anything?”

Marcy gave me a hug and Ruth greeted my Grandpa. We went to collect their luggage. Ruth told me, “Brianna, I didn’t think it was right to send Marcy alone. She can take care of herself alright, but I’m the one who knew you and Will. I wanted to meet your mother as well.” She paused, “With you still being Brianna and your Mom being ill I thought there should be a woman here with you.”

Pop Pop and I both thank her as we called the number Mr. Gillette had given us. It was but a few minutes and the limo and driver were back to pick us up. The driver took us back to the hotel. Then he gave us an hour before he would take us to the hospital. They gave us Pop Pop’s suite with an additional third bedroom.

Marcy moves into the room where my stuff and my clothes were already hung or into the drawers. Marcy looked through my clothes and knew which outfits were new. She had an outfit of her own out to change into. Marcy spoke, “Bri, I need to take a shower before I dress; why don’t you change and we’ll be ready to go to the hospital. So how’s your Mom doing? Uncle Will said it was her desire for you to stay as Bri for now.”

Marcy went into the bathroom but kept the door ajar so we could visit. I changed my panties and then back into my pink denim skirt, but put on a camisole and an open blouse this time. It was a bit daring for me but I knew it was a modest look for most teenagers.

Marcy is drying as I did my make-up. “Sis, I’m sorry about your Mom but I am happy to see you again. You continue to be a girl,” she said with a smirk. She had on some panties and her bra before I turned around to visit.

I was trying to brush out my hair but it wasn’t co-operating so Marcy took over. “I guess I still need my bigger sisters.” She had on a sundress and I found myself wanting to be as pretty. Marcy perceived my thoughts and said, “Well you haven’t given yourself enough time to blossom yet. Your hips need to wider and your breasts need to blossom,” she said with a smile.

I'm ready to go when Marcy approached me with some earrings. It hurt for them to go in as I hadn’t been wearing mine. “You are lucky I came when I did. Didn’t Carrie want you to give her competition?” Marcy knew better but she was teasing me.

“I wore some when I showed my Mom the bridesmaid’s gown, but I thought it would be better for my brothers and me if they grew back shut,” that was my excuse. I was regularly wearing a two-inch heel, and Marcy and her mom both complimented my walking and feminine gestures. I had mixed feelings about saying thanks.

When we got to the hospital we were given her new room number on the ninth floor. Mom had been settled into her new room for about an hour. She was doing fairly well, but tired from the move. She was happy to see Pop Pop and us three women. She had spoken to Ruth on the phone and seen pictures but had never met her. They were both happy to meet the other.

They visited as much about me as anything and came to agree that Ruth had the neater of the two: son vs. daughter. “She would probably become tired or more relaxed in how she cares for herself, but I must say she is a pretty good daughter. We came to love her and she was very important to the wedding being so nice.”

“I brought some pictures if you would like to see them; there are quite a few of your daughter. I even have a couple from when she sang with Carrie Underwood in Concert,” Ruth said.

Marcy takes me to change into the Bridesmaid’s dress. Two nurses show where we can change in their locker room. One nurse helps Marcy with my hair and makeup. It was fun showing my Mom and seeing her smile. I even have my picture taken with her. Copies are sent to Amanda and Carrie. What I did not appreciate was being taken to the waiting room to model the gown there.

I changed back before I went to see Mom again.

My mom asked, “Could the two girls go and us two moms visit as we look through the pictures?” So we were excused and went to the waiting room. Where the teenage boy took an interest in me and my brother Rob, took interest in Marcy. We were going down to the cafeteria since we had missed lunch.

Michael the teenager and my brother both suggested they should go down with us “to make sure we were safe since we were in New York City.” Marcy spoke of some girl things hoping they would be dissuaded, but my brother thought she was bluffing and Michael seemingly was not listening. It was the four of us who went.

Pop Pop tried to give us some money, and Michael said he would be happy to pay for my lunch. I suggested Rob take care of Marcy’s. Rob took the money from our Pop Pop and it was settled. Michael had a hard time understanding Rob’s interest in Marcy; if Rob and I were cousins and Marcy was my sister. Rob explained I’d been adopted by the Storms and Marcy’s not really related to him.

The interesting thing was, it ended up being me being the one who helps Michael. He had come back to the hospital in part to see me. He was only now finding the importance of his grandfather who was very ill. He realized he had been insensitive to his mother and was possibly losing his grandfather. When he almost cried, I asked, “Are you too strong of a man that you cannot cry for either of them?”

It was he, who broke and I who shared some tissues. What I didn’t expect was that I would come to care for him. Marcy excused us and took me to the women’s room. “Brianna, take care because if you extend your heart any more. It's okay if you are sincere and be there for him.” I knew she was right and I agreed. I planned to stay at arm’s length, but I did not.

He breaks into tears and cries on my shoulder. It was nice that he gave his mother and grandfather attention, the rest of the afternoon, but his mom and he would go to dinner with us that night to the nearby restaurant. Dad would get the next opportunity to visit with Mom. Ruth shared the wedding pictures and pictures of me singing with Carrie Underwood.

I enjoyed seeing the pictures as many in the waiting room finally realized it was Carrie who had been with us. I was not happy that my pictures as a girl were being shared with everyone in the large waiting room. Many women and girls commented on how I looked. They asked about the gown, make-up and singing with Carrie. I enjoyed visiting with them but I like some of the girls and wished I could talk to them. It was both Brianna and Brice who liked them.

I go for a walk with Marcy and I asked about my attraction to girls. “Brianna, do you remember K-jo from the beach you and I were both smitten with her. While I am not sure why you were; I don’t think it is that unusual for one woman to find another attractive and themselves more deeply attracted to them. It is not much more different than some girls who find everything in pants to be hot. She needs a bit of growing up.”

“I don’t mean to be cruel, but you have only been a girl for a while and are not always sure if it is the guy or gal in you talking. You are in a tough spot being son and daughter in your family. We saw Brice but Brianna is the only one we’ve really come to know.” We made it down to the end of a hallway and then Marcy gave me a big hug. “Please, let you just be who you are. I know you felt for Michael that is okay, just don’t agree to marry him. You are not of age,” she laughs.

I asked Marcy about my thoughts of me being kept in the dark, “What are they not telling me and why is your mother here?” I wished I could read faces better, I wasn’t sure if Marcy was being honest or not.

“Sprout, I’ve learned long ago not to try to read anything extra into what my mom says. You should trust her for what she says. You know she loves you and that I do too.”

“I am not sure that they don’t think I should remain a girl. Pop Pop said something about me being with you for the summer,” I don’t know what to think.

“Do they get the impression from you that you want to be a girl? I haven’t thought about it but if Brianna was to get a new start, which would be easier with us or with your family.” Marcy made small talk about how those at our home only know Brice. We even talked about sleeping arrangements, bedrooms and how it wouldn't be that much more women clothing in the wash at her house. “I’d hate to think of them loading all the girl chores on you whether or not you are Brice or Bri at your house.”

We were back to the waiting area and then I got to visit Mom before we went to dinner. We could see her more often on that floor but they still limited us to two at a time and required we give her chances to rest.

Mom spoke first, “I like your earrings, why didn’t you continue to wear them; you look prettier with them on.” Mom had me sit next to her on the bed and we enjoyed some of the pictures Ruth brought. It was honest pride Mom had in her daughter. I enjoyed reliving the pictures with her. I found I was relaxed and honest that I enjoyed myself as a girl.

I asked Mom, “Did you and Pop Pop have an understanding when we went to North Carolina?”

“Not in the way you think. I was surprised when he called back to me about you picking up Carrie and singing with her like a girl with no speech problems and sounding so much like a girl.” She explained, “Ruth and Pop Pop first agreed to your dressing as a bridesmaid believing it would be too much. Pop Pop thought that thinking you were too shy to go through with it. Your grandpa called me first and I agreed to it because I believe as they did.”

“It was the next day that they had an inkling that something else was up. When they called me, I told them about you getting into my clothes. When you asked your grandpa about Grandma Grace; we thought we needed to let you go through with it.”

“Ma Ruth is not here at my request, but out of sincere concern that there would be an adult woman with you. If you’re honest, you know there might be things Brianna wouldn’t share with her father but might need to share with someone.”

My two brothers heard part of our discussion as they had come into the room while we were talking. “Mom, we don’t understand; what are you saying, Brice is our brother. This is just like a Halloween costume. I thought dad said it was just clothing.”

Dan became more forceful, “Brice, we think it is time you get over this performance and change back to your clothes.” Dan’s voice was now rising in volume! Rob got him to be quiet just before a nurse entered the room.

“Whoever is the one is causing trouble and raising their voice needs to leave,” the nurse said straightforward.

Dan owns up to his part, “It isn’t one and the same and I don’t want to go out of here with her!”

“Nurse, can I have them leave in just a moment, my Mom needs them unified first,” Rob stated. She indicated yes, but she was staying.

“Dan, Rob, and Brianna each of you is to be seated and don’t speak right now,” Mom told us. Dan and Rob, what Brice is doing has been at my request, based on things that happened in North Carolina. Your Grandpa and I were talking ahead of things all the way through and not at Brianna request. She is here at my request.”

“Yes, she can change back, but I’m afraid it would be a girl dressed as a boy. This isn’t going to be decided today, but I want all of you for my sake and your own to be there for one another.”

“We had Brice to go down to North Carolina to be with your Pop Pop. Brice had been down for months. Brice as Brianna has found the joy that left him with the coming of puberty. Unbeknown to anyone there was a daughter wrapped in the appearance of my third son and you’re your brother.”

“If I’m wrong, things can be rectified in the weeks or months ahead. But Brianna/Brice needs the time and space to find what is real. Brianna tell your brother; did you ask to come as you are to see me,” Mom asked?

“No. I can take you through the novel edition of the story. But no Brianna was asked to speak in Washington, and I asked to change before I saw Mom. I was told Mom wanted to see her daughter.” Dan was actually my closest brother and he knew I wasn’t lying.

Dan came up to me, “Brianna, how about you and I go and talk; you can tell me the novel edition. I don’t expect to get upset.” We left and went for a walk and talked. I did stop at the waiting room and asked for Marcy’s company just in case.

When Rob came out from his visit with Mom we were already back. Our group and Michael and his Mom went to the family restaurant for dinner. I was surprised when Michael held my chair as I was seated, but I really didn’t mind the attention.

“Brianna why don’t you play some slow tunes in the jukebox,” my dad said, giving me a handful of quarters. Marcy, Michael and I went over and selected several songs and played them. Dad then suggested to Michael that he and I dance. Michael asked me and I looked at my Pop Pop. And he nodded his head yes. So I took Michael’s hand and walked to the area in front of the jukebox and we began to dance.

Marcy took Rob’s hand and Pop Pop took Ruth’s and soon I was not alone. Despite wondering about my Dad’s thought or motivation; I knew I had to relax and concentrate on my dance with Michael. When the song ended I paused and stayed there knowing what the next song was. It would be good for another dance and so was I.

Mrs. Vivaldi came over after the dance and thanked us and complimented my father, “You can be proud of the family you have, not everyone is so fortunate. Even good family are often not there during hard times, but yours is.”

My Dad smiled and agreed. I knew he felt bad about what he had done. I wanted to say I forgive you, but he did not acknowledge he was wrong nor had any hurtful intentions. I knew what he wanted was me to be embarrassed and to have his boy back.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want that too, but I started to believe there was and is more. I felt one of Michael’s hands on the small of my back and the warmth of the other in my right hand. It felt good like it was natural. It hurts that my dad didn’t see that part of me. I rested my head on Michael and looked up to him, he was happy.

When that dance was over we went and sat down. Mrs. Vidaldi came over and said to my father, “You are a lucky man to have such a good family. Even good families during troubled times aren’t always there for you.”

My Dad took a hold of me as I made my way to my seat and he placed his arm around me, “You are right, we have a very good family and I am a blessed man. But sometimes I have trouble saying the right things.” We looked at each other and I was going to kiss him, but he was not ready. So I did it on the top of his head and hugged him.

Our salads and appetizers came and we began to eat. I changed the course of my conversation to Amanda and her husband Richard. Ma Ruth and Marcy were able to carry our conversation. Ruth, after supper, asked me to go with them back to the hotel with her. I was willing but felt a need to say goodnight to my mother and give her a kiss.

I went back with Daddy and Pop Pop to see my Mom. She was glad we had gone to eat together and I wasn’t spoiling it for her. I told her I wanted to go back to the hotel as Marcy and Ruth had a long day. She mentioned how much she liked them and the good impression I made with them.

Dad gave even gave me a kiss on the cheek as Pop Pop walked out with me. I had made it outside of the room and down the hall before I had to hug Pop Pop in order not to cry out loud. Pop Pop encouraged me to take it one day at a time. He said he would be there for me.

“But Pop Pop you need to be there for Daddy as well,” I said.

“I will Brianna but you need to know I will be there for you. If I have to choose for a moment, I will be there for you know your brothers will be there for your father as will many others,” he said. Pop Pop stayed at the hospital since he would be with us all night.

We got back to the hotel and up to our suite. I used Marcy’s computer to check my email and I had some enjoyable communications from Carrie and Bruce Gillette.

I take off my make-up, shower, shampoo and condition my hair. A couple of the extensions came out when I brushed out my hair, but it still looked very good. I put on a nice satin and lace, short nightgown, put on my robe and went out to the living area. “Ma Ruth, I have a problem with my hair, some extensions came out.”

Ruth laughed, “That is not a problem it is just an opportunity to go to a salon in New York City.” Marcy came and ran her hands down the side of my legs. Her mom laughed, “It looks like she is taking care of the hair on her legs really well.” I blushed and tried to cover my legs, and then realized I didn’t need to try.

I looked at Ruth and Marcy’s legs and smiled as mine were attractive as well. “Ma Ruth, am I expected to go back to North Carolina with you and Marcy?”

Ruth sat next to me and looked square at me. “I expect as long as your mother does well (like we hope) the question is moot and you will be able to answer that better than I. If your mother stays ill, it might be very good for her to have a daughter around to help care for her. But they might want to call Brianna their niece.” There was a good pause, and we all turned toward the TV.

I broke the quiet, asking, “If my Mom doesn’t come through this and my family isn’t comfortable with me being a niece, can I live with you for a while?”

“And what would you do after a while, would you plan to move out on us?” she asked.

“Well, I'll probably decide to go back to being Brice. I would just need time to look like myself again.”

Marcy handed me a mirror, “And if this is what you look like would you become my sister? (Pause) I didn’t mean to say that.” Marcy hugged me and said she was sorry.

“I am used to the white elephant being in the room. Sometime or another, my family usually talks about the possibility. Pop Pop and I have been part of your family. I do appreciate you being here.”

It was 9:30 p.m. and my Pop Pop wasn’t back yet. It had me worried that something changed. I called the hospital and asked for the waiting room on the ninth floor but was given the nurses’ desk. “I am Brianna and my Mom is Alice Greimann in room 908. I would like to talk to my father, grandfather and or my brothers if they are there.”

“They are still here as… well, they are in quietly waiting with her. I am sorry I can’t say anything more, but let me see if they think you should come.”

“Please tell them I am on my way,” I said. Ruth and Marcy only heard half the conversation but all of us were up and changing back into our regular clothes. We did not take much time for make-up but we took enough, so not to scare anyone.

Mom was lying on her side facing my Dad as I walked into the room. I scooted down next to him and took hold of her hands and smiled, “I’m here Mom.”

“I knew you would be Sugar, she appreciates it very much,” my Dad whispered to me. Mom smiled and opened her eyes, she appeared strong and alert which gave me some relief.

“I told them they didn’t need to call you; you know I have been through this before,” Mom said. She looked around and saw all who were there. “I guess I really scared you.” Simultaneously we all laughed saying ‘no’ or acknowledged the possibility ‘just a little’. Mom joked, “Get your stories straight.”

Mom had indeed stabilized but Dad, my brothers and I would stay the night. The doctor openly shared, “This means the worst might not be passed.” Dad and I would stay in Mom’s room, alternating who was at her side. My brothers would be in as they woke during a restless night but neither stayed in the room long.

The morning activity began at 6:00 a.m.; they even had mom up and walking to the restroom. I, not a nurse, got to wash and dry her, though we did not tell my dad. I brushed out her hair and helped her with a little make-up. The nurses said it is good when a woman cares about herself. As much as Mom had been in the hospital; she had never become used to being helped.

Marcy and Ruth brought me a change of outfits, I was given permission to use the shower off Mom's room. I changed my hair into a simple ponytail. I knew Mom would like it as she would feel comfortable then to brush my hair.

I was not wrong, come at 9:30 a.m. Mom asked me to sit on the edge of her bed as she brushed out my hair. I needed to use the women’s room to clean off my nails but came back to allow Mom to manicure my hands. “Brianna, do you see evidence of Brice’s hands?” she asked.

It was true, even though I simplified everything today, Bri… Brianna was the one who showed through.

Mom’s temp was 99.8 come noon and by 1:00 p.m. the doctors were greatly worried about how my Mom would handle a fever or infection. Nothing was showing to be greatly wrong, but her body was working hard against something. Mom’s health had always been a challenge: some glands worked too much as others hardly at all; a bad surgery at another hospital put her down to one kidney. Having three children left her bones with reduced calcium and this time had been her second heart attack.

Mom is well liked back home as well as at the hospital. She would not suffer the lack of prayers or attention. But as the nursery rhyme shared not all the king’s men or today’s medicine could do all that was needed. Come 2:30 p.m. my Mom died.

=^..^=


The unintended insult would add to the injury of my broken heart. I kind of understand and part of me is glad to remain Brianna. But to be a grieving niece is not the same as a grieving daughter/sibling. Even the pastor would not know who I was. Brice was gone and could not get back for the funeral is all people would know.

Mr. Gillette could not be there for Pop Pop as we kept a few options open about where Brice might be. People who knew Brice and came to see Brianna with various thoughts running through their mind, but neither saw nor heard possibilities of where Brice was.

When we leave the hospital and go home, Rob moves in with Dan to take Brice’s bed and Pop Pop would have Rob’s room and I would take the long sofa in the family room.

I went to town and got a nice dark blue dress, I would not wear black for neither Mom nor I thought it was needed. I did buy the mascara Carrie used that did not run with a few tears. If I was not up to visit, I was sitting between or near Marcy and Ruth or my Pop Pop.

The Senate and Congress had ratified a bill with funds to benefit single parents, but it was bittersweet information to me just now. Carrie called and would have been there if the funeral service was at the right time. But the friendship was too short and Carrie’s notoriety would be too distracting to have her come.

It was hoped with time I could work things through and be back with my family. But when the funeral was over, come the next day I was on a plane to Raleigh, North Carolina. I knew then where my home would be. It was the one time I welcome three full seats next to each other as we flew home.

I was not done grieving, but I was moving on with my life. The Storms would keep the guest room for guests, so I moved into Marcy’s room as she had an apartment near North Carolina State University. She’d have the better bed when home; otherwise it was now my bedroom.

Living in Garner, I had a bit less of the metropolitan effect of the cities and I would develop more of a southern accent. I had not been crazy about such things as a guy in Jersey. Josh had talked about a Lacy Knapp who lives behind the Storms. “Faith, what do you know about Lacy who lives behind us on the next block?” I asked.

“She is in your grade and has been the only girl your age in the neighborhood, why?” Faith perked up, “You looking for a friend for you or a girlfriend for Brice?” The latter hadn’t crossed my mind until now.

“So if one was to get on with her life, she might be a good person to befriend, right.” I was looking out a back window, “Is it the canary yellow house right behind us or one to the right or left?” I asked. Looking out I saw a girl my age come out of the house to the east that was in earth tones with a possible stone front. I didn’t wait for an answer but ran downstairs and out the back door.

I made my way through the backyard and through a row of trees behind Lacy’s. She was taking down some clothes drying on the line. “Hello, are you Lacy. I was hoping to get a chance to meet you,” I said with a silly smile. “I’m…”

“You’re Bri, will it be Storm or Connors? I’m sorry to hear about your Mom,” Lacy said. “Yes, I know who you are but I wasn’t to tell you. Did Faith tell you ‘I’m the only girl my age in the neighborhood? She probably didn’t tell you we’re good friends because there aren’t many her age either. She is two years older so she can make me promise something and make it stick.”

“I am the only one she told and I haven’t talked to anyone about you except to her and Ma Storm,” she said. “It is good to know for when I invite you to pillow party. So do you think you will stay and become a Storm?”

I must have looked like a ‘deer in headlights’. Lacy had a smile that warmed a stranger, and I immediately felt like I found a friend. I went to the ground as my eyes welled up with tears. “I hope those are happy tears and not sad ones. Faith said. "You tend to cry if you’re not intentionally trying to be strong.” Lacy was on her knees trying to console me.

“I thought it was going to be a long time before I had a friend like you. I am sorry that I’m crying,’ I said forcing a smile.

“Know you are not, nor will I be sorry when I dump on you. Both of us have been waiting for a good friend,” Lacy laughed as we shared hugs.
 


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pop-Pop 5

Well it looks/sounds like a Brianna is here to stay for now and has a BFF too!

Richard

Larie

Yes, bff are very special

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Oh Jess...

I cried so when I read Alice had passed way. I was so hoping she and Brianna would have more time together. At least Alice got to know her Daughter for a short time anyway. I lost my mom almost two years ago and it still hurts so. I am glad though that Brianna went back to North Carolina to live with the Storms, staying in Jersey with her dad and brothers was not going to be a good thing. You're on a roll girl and doing good. :) (Hugs) Taarpa

Brice wished it were so

I think Brice would have comes to terms with being TG better if there was more time. And in the story that was going to be given 24-48 more hours, maybe even get home. But the story took a life of its own and I followed what my heart told me.

Thanks for sharing. Everyone is special, moms hold a special place at another level. May your hurt be out of love, what I call a good hurt.

Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

A time to mourn...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I hope she gets some time to grieve. Sigh. Glad that she's going to be in a place where she might just have the room and time to discover just who she wants to be. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Time to grieve, to discover

Andrea, Like your sensitivity as I feel in your stories. She will have the time and room in NC, in a supportive atmosphere.

It is not to bash Jersey people as you know there are some pretty sensitive and caring people there.

Hugs, I wish we could be there for one another in person. JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

lost me

Was good up until the hospital thing. Up and around to bathroom(with help) brush brianna's hair and then poof dead at 2 pm the same day?

In reality

In reality it happened; When I went shopping my Mom was doing well and as I was coming home I passed her ambulance on the way to the hsopital where she was DOA. I knew a death scene is not usually appreciated, but for some TG people like me it complicates dealing with issues in my life. It doesn't make it easier as part of my stories might suggest.

Thanks Tels. I read your stories for what they might offer.

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

My guess is she threw a clot or her heart was more damaged than

they first assumed.

Remember, tels, she had had a least one heart attack before and multiple OTHER health problems.

IE mom was basket case medically.

A risk for people with damaged hearts is an irregular heart beat and or an ineffective heart beat which can lead to another attack and sudden death,

Also damaged hearts, or hearts the beat incorrectly are more likely to trigger blood clots.

We have a cat on very low dose aspirin -- yes cats and dogs CAN tolerate it under veterinary prescribed and very special conditions, IE the doses are very small per pound of body weight.

In any case, I had an older sister who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Other and a bit fatigued she was fine. In a span of an hour as my father sat with her in hospital she died. Sudden stroke from a clot from her lungs where the tumor was.

So seemingly well people can die fast.

Plus as this is fiction I allow a little poetic license.

Hey, yah go to bash your characters once in a while. If ANYONE here should know that it is you, tels.

-- grin --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Excuse me!!

"Hey, yah go to bash your characters once in a while. If ANYONE here should know that it is you, tels."

And what is that supposed to mean?

A sister death is real

John, I feel for you as you speak about your sister I know the hurt is real. Thanks for sharing, I hope she felt blessed having you and your dad.

Our lives in walking through life are real.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

From the pic of Brianna,

I'd say she is here to stay.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

sorry...grammar police here..

Snarfles's picture

sorry...grammar police here... been reading your contributions and have enjoyed them,despite many techincal errors such as wrong words, misspells, mixed tenses.... all easily overlooked with the plot and depth of your writing. HOWEVER..... this: “I expect as long as your mother does well, like we hope, the question is mute and you will answer better be able to that than me.

cannot go unchallenged.

"I expect, as long as your mother does well (like we hope), the question is MOOT, and you will be able to answer, better than I.

I am sorry for having to be a nag, but seriously, do you have an editor? or at least proofread before posting? Either would dramatically improve your skills... you have talent...and it's a shame to waste it because of technical things.

Normally I don't... But

You do know you're commenting on a story that released out over 4 years ago. Well, 4 1/2 years give or take. You do understand that comparing a story that old, most likely hasn't or will be edited by the writer and is subject to age. How many writers go back to their old work and reedit? Do you really expect them to do so?

Now, I know that you are not the only one. I read a recent one of the same nature on another site. It was dated back in 1998 and the commenter to the writer assumed that that person was still writing. They failed to check the date as with noting he had put out only two stories and haven't been heard from since.

So you being with the grammar police leaves you 4 years to late. But well, you could possibly check on her newer stories. Perhaps, and I will tell you from experience, not everyone gets help like yours, even from those that point out that they should get help. You need someone to step up and do so.

Bridesmaid does check...

...I can see new comments on old stories and I do read them. When appropriate I will edit stories to improve their understanding. The story was checked and along with the mistakes mentioned by a reader that and others have been corrected.
Thanks Scruples.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors