Whatever happened to Aaron Smith? - Chapter 19 of 19 - Conclusion

Printer-friendly version

ajs.jpg

There is nothing worse than the agony of waiting when someone you love is hurt. I'll remember that room for the rest of my life, and it will haunt me in my nightmares.

There was a slight astringent smell, like bleach or something similar, that burned in my nostrils. Underneath it was a sort of rotten smell that the astringent only barely covered.

The room was too cold. I could feel the air from the conditioner blowing across my exposed knees. I was still in my dress, and it was covered in his blood. There was no time to change. They wouldn't let me ride with him in the ambulance, but Theresa dragged my sobbing form over to the limo we'd ridden over in. Jasmine and Katie joined me before Theresa could drive away. I continued to sob in the back seat and they gathered me in a group hug.

When we got to the hospital we were shown into the waiting room: a couple of plastic seats in an alcove off to the side from the doors into the operation suites.

Theresa sat there with her arm around my shoulders. After the ride over I was cried out and simply sat there numb. I couldn't believe that he'd done this for me. I didn't want to allow it, but a slight glow formed in the pit of my stomach. It felt like a betrayal of everything he'd done for me to be happy, but I just couldn't help it.

"He loves me," I whispered.

"I know. He just didn't want to tell you."

"Why not?" I looked over at Theresa a little confused.

"Because he thinks you're too young for him."

"He's only eighteen!" I tried to keep my voice down, and I tried to keep from getting angry at him when he was fighting for his life. Screw that, I was going to get angry at him.

"More it has to do with how he's already lived life and you are still in high school."

"If he wasn't dying, I'd kill him. I'd wring his scrawny little neck."

"AJ…you're scary like that," Jasmine said. She was looking at me with wide eyes. Katie sat there holding her and doing the same.

"I think you're both seeing the Valkyrie for the first time," Theresa said.

"Sorry," I said, trying to smile.

"AJ, I know you've had a life. I know that. I even know some of the difficulties that you've been through."

Something occurred to me that I’d forgotten all about earlier, "I thought you were a therapist," I said to Theresa.

"Still trying to finish my degree. Being a bodyguard pays the bills."

I shuddered and held myself, "Why can't I focus?"

"You're just in a mild shock," Theresa said and held me again. Jasmine and Katie moved in on the other side, dragging the chairs across the floor to be next to me. We were all sitting there like that when Mr. and Mrs. Harris came in.

We sat there making small talk as I just absorbed my bleak surroundings. Would life be like this for me for the rest of my life? Would I ever get over Shawn?

I shuddered again with the thought of Shawn dying.

My thoughts rotated around and around like that. Love, hate, betrayal. I was slowly circling the drain, and I couldn't find my way out. Shawn centered me. How could I survive without him? How could I be? How could I exist?

The minutes turned into hours as we all sat there. Jasmine and Katie finally went home at three in the morning, but I had to stay. My parents took the two girls home and then came back to sit with us. I don't remember if they talked.

All I remember was the astringent smell covering the smell of decay. It is a smell I'll always associate with death.

.-.. .. -. .   -... .-. . .- -.-

Sunlight peeked in through the high small windows on the wall behind my head. It seemed to add a spot of lemon yellow to the wall opposite. I watched the nurse there as she typed something into her computer, and wondered what she did every day when the light started shining in her eyes.

I really considered the sun to be a harsh mistress that morning. She said that a new day was dawning, but without Shawn, there couldn't possibly be anything new.

We'd still had no news about how he was doing. Presumably he was still in surgery. All night ling we'd sat there, when my Dad and Mr. Harris weren't pacing that is. They'd tried going at their own paces to begin with, but eventually decided that walking side by side worked better. I would have been impressed with their ability to work things out wordlessly if I wasn't otherwise engaged at the time.

I was numb.

Finally, after everything that had happened, I was wrung out emotionally and I had nothing left to feel. At this point I didn't even feel the cold of the room.

Through the night, the doors in front of us had opened a number of times as people went in and out of them. For the first couple of hours I looked up every time they opened, but now it didn't even catch my attention until there was someone standing in front of us.

"Mr. and Mrs. Harris?"

We all looked up at the doctor standing there. He had grey hair and a kindly face. His expression was neutral, and I just knew that it was bad news. My eyes stung, but I had no more tears to shed.

"Yes?" Mr. Harris said.

"Shawn made it through surgery and is in recovery. The bullet lodged next to his heart and was abrading against the muscle. We were able to remove the bullet without causing any more problems. He lost a lot of blood. Right now we just have to wait and see if he recovers."

I didn't hear anything else that anyone said in my relief. Shawn was alive.

"Can I see him?" I said quietly. I didn't know if anyone heard me, but the Doctor looked over with kindly eyes and a slight smile.

"After we move him to his own room, we'll let in some visitors. Let him rest until he wakes up, but you can see him."

Time seemed to start again, and before too long we were in a private room watching while he slept. I stayed with him all that day and the next, not once did he wake up in that time.

Mom excused me from school on Monday and I stayed there with Shawn. Around noon he slowly opened his eyes and looked around. I smiled when he finally saw me there.

"Hi." I said with a small smile.

"Hi. I didn't say anything stupid before I got shot did I?"

"Nope. You just said you loved me."

"Oh," he said with a frown.

"You don't get to take it back, Shawn. You know I love you, and you admitted you love me. Sure, things might change later. We're not talking about later. Just let it be for now, ok? Let's just be happy."

Shawn smiled at me weakly and I gave him a light kiss on the lips.

"I love you, Shawn."

"I love you too."

.-.. .. -. .   -... .-. . .- -.-

Life slowly returned to normal after that, or as normal as it exists for me. I visited Rita a couple of times at the shelter before she decided to move out with a couple of the other women into an apartment. I tried to continue visiting her there, but beyond class and her ex-husband's actions, we really had nothing in common.

She still comes to class, and started bringing some of the other women from the shelter. By the time that the original teacher returned we had enough women for two classes two days a week, a total of four classes each week.
Mom's planning on releasing her clothing line soon. Some people think that I design the clothes, so I have to explain that they're my Mom's design. I always love doing that. I never wear anything she hasn't designed anymore. I tried a couple of times, but wearing clothing that was made just for you by an expert in the field spoils you for 'off the rack' clothing.

Anyway, it's great advertising for Mom's brand, and there are actually people at school who wear it now too, including Katie and Jasmine.

They still don't have boyfriends, though. They do date a lot more now that everyone knows that I have a boyfriend. Apparently being friends with the most (in)famous girl in school is worth something.

As for Julian, he had two more charges of attempted murder added to his already bloated rap-sheet. Everyone assumes that he's going to be convicted and sent away for a long time.

Shawn and I are both doing physical therapy together, and no, I don't mean we're getting physical. I take each day as it comes with him, and am more sure as time goes by that I will marry the man, even if I have to propose to him myself.

With everything I have been through recently, I'm finally at a point where everything seems to be calm and collected. It won't always stay that way, but those are worries for another day.

And the Valkyrie? I've finally come to the realization that while I understand the origin of the term, and who they were in Norse mythology, most people just see them as warrior women. That is likely the intent that was behind the nickname, so I can accept it, for now. It still gets me some notoriety, which I can live with. If I'm not going to be loved, then being feared will keep me safe.

Life isn't perfect. If I'd really thought about it at the beginning, I would never have believed that I could be in this place at this time. I expected to be dead. If not now, then when I completed all of my plans for suicide. When I think about it, I shudder at everything I would have missed out on. I think of Shawn, Jasmine, Katie, Theresa, Caroline, Rita, and everyone else I met during this little adventure.

None of them would be a part of my life if I hadn't accepted the judge's punishment. Like I had many times in the past, I wonder if even the judge knew what would happen when he proposed it.

I'm glad he did. Every once in a while, I wonder what happened to Aaron Joel. In all of this it seems that I lost a piece of myself when I chose to be AJ, Anne-Jeanette. When I think that, though, I think about what I gained, and what stayed the same.

When I really think about it, about whatever happened to Aaron Joel Smith, I realize that nothing happened to her, because she is me, and we're not going anywhere.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sequel?

Any plans for Book 2?

RE: Sequel

Nothing concrete. There could definitely be a sequel, but the main question is what I would be doing with it. Having no real plan is almost worse that not writing anything at all. I'll need some time to think about it, and we'll see what happens as time goes on.

Basically, I like the character of AJ, and if another story comes to me for her, then yes, we will be seing more of her. If not, then I'll leave this one where it is.

BTW: Total words for the story are 58,701.

I can understand your wanting

I can understand your wanting a direction for the story; I can think of a couple of solid things myself, but I'm sure you can as well :)

Thanks for picking the story back up and completing it - I know that it's rarely easy for anyone to do so.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Damned near perfect ending line

Absolutely ties in the title to the tale and sums it all up.

Solid last chapter after that nasty -- YEAH! -- cliffhanger.

And you leave open whether those who got the homicidal bailiff out on bail are also now in deep shit as they knew he made death threats AND had guns. As a bailiff he was required to have one or more.

Idiots... or yet another example of the shit of the old boy network.

What a rollercoaster this tale has been. Early on we have this punk kid getting one last chance from the court. Then we learn why he is so violent, the rape in juvie and all the other beatings in school he suffered. How he chose to fight back. Then the revelations of why he made such a sorry excuse for a male, SHE was a girl.

And all the friends she made. Enemies she encounters. The love and pain. AJ embracing her womanhood and working to become her kind of woman. Her helping teach street fighting/self defense remembering her sad childhood.

Mom's career taking off because of her.

Lovely stuff.

Thanks for finishing it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

"we're not going anywhere."

great ending to a great story.

Thank you for sharing it.

DogSig.png

A Rattling Good Tale !

Well that is what I call this one. Liadan Tallie certainly deserves our heart-felt thanks for writing this one and posting it here so that we can all read it and lose ourselves in this other reality, which is so filled with adventures and all the full range of emotions, but concentrated, not like Real Life, where such things do happen, but not at this pace. Instead we spend lots of time waiting when nothing happens and it all gets a wee bit boring. This story has so much in it one could never get bored - this makes it very exciting, but if any of us were to live at this rate I can imagine we would never be able to stand the pace !

This gave us all that anyone could wish for in a story for BCTS, and one can see how we loved it when people are already asking for a sequal! The Fans are never satisfied are they? I would like more from you too Liadan, because you write so well.

Thank you Liadan.

Briar

Whatever happened to Aaron

Smith? He became much more than he ever thought that he could be.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

To paraphrase Willy Wonka...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but Alex...don't forget what happened to the boy who suddenly got everything he always wanted. She lived happily ever after.

Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Great Story

When you first started posting and it said "1 of many" I avoided it... I'm growing tired of starting stories that others never finish at times. With a conclusion I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. There were a lot of well thought emotional moments in this and I enjoyed the story. I know others are doing what happens all the time and wanting a second volume, but I think this can stand on its' own if you so choose. That being said, if you write a sequel I will most definitely read it! Thanks for sharing.

Great Tale

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and all the emotional ups and down of AJ. The end rounded off nicely.
Thank you for sharing
Jo

Strong story

So many hidden gems on this site, and this is definitely one of them!
Confusion, young love, drama and action! I was plastered to the screen reading it.

The main character is both totally baddass and super cute at the same time, and while the story does have a harsh element to it but it isnt overdone. I was smiling and laughing through most of it but there was a few teary moments as well. Specially near the end, though it does have a happy and very sweet conclusion.
Lovely story!

paintversion.jpg